Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-24-2022, 10:22 PM   #1551
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic
I don't feel bad for Lions fans. They should know better.

Oh believe me, we do.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2022, 10:34 PM   #1552
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Desmond Ridder was 13/26 for 97 yards, no TD or INT. Rating 59.3

So not great but 3 more games to go.

Desmond Ridder was 22/33 for 218 yards, no TD or INT. Rating 85.2

2 games a trend does not make, but better than going the other way. Let's hope we continue to see improvement in the next 2 games
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2022, 09:47 AM   #1553
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Desmond Ridder was 22/33 for 218 yards, no TD or INT. Rating 85.2

2 games a trend does not make, but better than going the other way. Let's hope we continue to see improvement in the next 2 games
It was a better outing all around. Only one miscue, fumbling a snap from center. Other than that, he looked under control. Nothing too exciting, but pretty well considering the defense he was playing.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2022, 01:28 PM   #1554
bhlloy
Coordinator

If Aaron Rodgers was named Aaron Smith you’d think he was clearly a bottom third quarterback in this league. The line is poor and the playcalling is questionable, but he’s just flat out making wrong decisions and airmailing throws.
bhlloy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2022, 01:56 PM   #1555
larrymcg421
Head Coach

A clear incompletion on that long pass and the Dolphins don't challenge it. WTF

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 12-25-2022 at 01:57 PM.
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2022, 02:09 PM   #1556
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I can’t believe Marcedes Lewis is still playing.
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2022, 04:26 PM   #1557
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The Endzone is getting slimed a lot tonight.
Old 12-25-2022, 05:04 PM   #1558
bhlloy
Coordinator

Hands up who would have had Baker Mayfield outplaying the other 3 QBs in the early games today after a few weeks of the season. Russ went from asking to be let cook to just clearly being cooked. He’s terrible. After how many more games of this next season do you just eat the money and move on?
Old 12-25-2022, 05:19 PM   #1559
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Mayfield 18/20 with 2 TDS and 190 yards at the half. Crazy.
Old 12-25-2022, 05:20 PM   #1560
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Hands up who would have had Baker Mayfield outplaying the other 3 QBs in the early games today after a few weeks of the season. Russ went from asking to be let cook to just clearly being cooked. He’s terrible. After how many more games of this next season do you just eat the money and move on?

And eat $107 million in dead space on a $220 million cap?

The earliest out they realistically have is probably after 2025.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2022, 05:35 PM   #1561
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

One option is just to keep him on the 53 next season for emergencies. He still gets paid, but they can try and develop someone new. It's unlikely they find that in the first round, since they have San Francisco's pick and the 49ers haven't lost in a while. Their own pick, now looking like #2 or #3, belongs to the team that is likely overjoyed not to have Wilson at this point.

Mayfield... I think he still has good value. And he'll come cheap. He had made excellent strides in 2020, maybe he just needs a good fit somewhere. Carolina obviously wasn't it.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2022, 05:58 PM   #1562
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I would give Hackett a bowl of gruel and a flight back to wherever he lives in the offseason.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2022, 05:59 PM   #1563
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The Nickmas slime game makes this watchable.
Old 12-25-2022, 06:01 PM   #1564
Ksyrup

M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 12-25-2022, 06:13 PM   #1565
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Looks like the AFC playoffs will end up with Mahomes, Allen, Burrow, Lawrence, Herbert, Jackson, and Tua.

That's a lot of young QB talent.
Old 12-25-2022, 06:15 PM   #1566
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Think the Broncos have to try him again in 2023, likely with someone new running the offense. After that they can cut him loose with 35 and 50 million cap hits in 2024 and 2025. Not ideal but manageable with a rookie QB.
Old 12-25-2022, 06:25 PM   #1567
stevew
Hall Of Famer

They have to fire Hackett now
Old 12-25-2022, 09:14 PM   #1568
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Hey guys. Merry Christmas.

Tua still sucks.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2022, 09:19 PM   #1569
Ksyrup

I saw someone tweet that Tua is this generation's Chad Pennington.
Old 12-25-2022, 09:23 PM   #1570
Ksyrup

It's been a season to remember for Denver!

Old 12-25-2022, 09:53 PM   #1571
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

“A pointless third quarter.” - Mike Tirico
Old 12-25-2022, 09:55 PM   #1572
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
“A pointless third quarter.” - Mike Tirico

I noticed that also.

This game is so ugly
Old 12-25-2022, 10:55 PM   #1573
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Todd Bowles always looks confused.
Old 12-25-2022, 11:25 PM   #1574
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

What would you do if you're coaching the best ever to play the game, but he's hurting your team. You can't even think about replacing him, but you know that if you hang onto the division, Dallas is going to clean your clock.

Brady's painful to watch right now. I think he did a good job when it mattered late tonight - against a woeful opponent that seemed extra depleted in the secondary. But he has lost his accuracy and the good decisions he was making in the first half of the season, seemingly knowing his limitations, mostly gone now. I hate seeing this. Bowles must feel the same way.
Old 12-26-2022, 08:16 AM   #1575
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
One option is just to keep him on the 53 next season for emergencies. He still gets paid, but they can try and develop someone new. It's unlikely they find that in the first round, since they have San Francisco's pick and the 49ers haven't lost in a while. Their own pick, now looking like #2 or #3, belongs to the team that is likely overjoyed not to have Wilson at this point.

Mayfield... I think he still has good value. And he'll come cheap. He had made excellent strides in 2020, maybe he just needs a good fit somewhere. Carolina obviously wasn't it.
Mayfield feels like that guy that if your team takes a chance on him, he'll implode. But if someone else takes a chance on him, he wins a Super Bowl. I think he could be Seattle's Russell Wilson in the right situation, and Denver's Russell Wilson in the wrong one.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2022, 08:47 AM   #1576
bhlloy
Coordinator

Maybe it's also just time to admit that in the mushy middle there's just a ton of random chance and situational stuff, especially in this era where a QB maybe gets a year and a half to prove themselves if they are lucky.

I mean we're all on the Mayfield train after one game and we can explain away the rest of the year with "well it was Carolina" but then you consider he was outplayed by PJ Walker and Sam Darnold under the exact same circumstances over a 10 game period, I dunno. Do we actually think Brock Purdy is good, or is he playing in an offense with the most creative mind and some of the most elite offensive weapons making him look good? And then what does that do to the argument that Jimmy G is underrated based on some of his underlying stats?

The more I look at NFL QB play the less it makes sense to be honest. Outside of the obvious top 3-5 difference makers in the league at any one time and the guys who clearly either don't have the arm talent or the brain to be in the league at all it almost feels plug and play, to be perfectly honest.
Old 12-26-2022, 08:59 AM   #1577
Thomkal
Head Coach

So I went to bed with the Cards ahead of the Bucs in the 4th quarter. Despite hoping they lose their remaining games for a better draft slot, I was okay with the win here given it was Tom Brady and former Cardinal coaches and whatever Bruce Arians is these days.

:::checks the score this morning and sighs:::

Please Panthers win out and keep Brady from the playoffs, please!
Old 12-26-2022, 10:00 AM   #1578
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:
Maybe it's also just time to admit that in the mushy middle there's just a ton of random chance and situational stuff, especially in this era where a QB maybe gets a year and a half to prove themselves if they are lucky.

I mean we're all on the Mayfield train after one game and we can explain away the rest of the year with "well it was Carolina" but then you consider he was outplayed by PJ Walker and Sam Darnold under the exact same circumstances over a 10 game period, I dunno. Do we actually think Brock Purdy is good, or is he playing in an offense with the most creative mind and some of the most elite offensive weapons making him look good? And then what does that do to the argument that Jimmy G is underrated based on some of his underlying stats?

The more I look at NFL QB play the less it makes sense to be honest. Outside of the obvious top 3-5 difference makers in the league at any one time and the guys who clearly either don't have the arm talent or the brain to be in the league at all it almost feels plug and play, to be perfectly honest.

I keep wondering if a lot of what we think are "good" and "bad" performances in some of these "random" cases are influenced a lot by the opponent not knowing exactly what to prepare for. That's how the backup looks a lot better than the starter. That's how a Mayfield comes in with no prep and looks good. That's how Mr Irrelevant looks as good as a guy who is going to command $30M next year. Either the opponent guesses correctly and stops what they are trying to do or they guess incorrectly and are left scrambling to alter their game plan to cover the curveball.
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2022, 10:31 AM   #1579
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Well, this week wasn’t great. On one hand, the Lions didn’t lose any ground in the playoff race, but with Green Bay winning that could make the final game of the season in Green Bag mean a lot for both teams, which would mean the Lions lose badly.

Also, the Rams won and other teams in that realm didn’t.

Ah, well, this isn’t anything new to the experience of being a Lions fan.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2022, 11:54 AM   #1580
bhlloy
Coordinator

Well, now we are going to find out how much was Russ and how much was the coaching
Old 12-26-2022, 12:21 PM   #1581
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
I keep wondering if a lot of what we think are "good" and "bad" performances in some of these "random" cases are influenced a lot by the opponent not knowing exactly what to prepare for. That's how the backup looks a lot better than the starter. That's how a Mayfield comes in with no prep and looks good. That's how Mr Irrelevant looks as good as a guy who is going to command $30M next year. Either the opponent guesses correctly and stops what they are trying to do or they guess incorrectly and are left scrambling to alter their game plan to cover the curveball.

There's a lot of truth to this. I try to grab as wide chunks of data as humanly possible. One full season often isn't enough on a quarterback.

But from a defensive perspective, it's said that 2-3 games of film on an unknown quarterback is enough, for a skilled coaching staff, to get a good idea of how to prepare - what he can do well and what he can't.
Old 12-26-2022, 01:19 PM   #1582
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:

I don't think we need to separate the last part from middle. For me it is the top 3-5 difference makers and everyone else.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2022, 04:17 PM   #1583
Ksyrup

Tua is in the concussion protocol again and it appears he played the 2nd half with a concussion. There's video of him hitting his head late in the 1st half and I guess it went unchecked? Either way, he continued to play and sucked.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 12-26-2022 at 04:17 PM.
Old 12-26-2022, 05:01 PM   #1584
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I guess Nathaniel….couldn’t….Hack it

/puts on sunglasses

YEAAAAAAAHH!!!!
Old 12-26-2022, 05:16 PM   #1585
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Tua is in the concussion protocol again and it appears he played the 2nd half with a concussion. There's video of him hitting his head late in the 1st half and I guess it went unchecked? Either way, he continued to play and sucked.

So is he not self reporting symptoms? There’s a complete failure in that organization/the league right now if he’s played 3 different times with concussions
Old 12-26-2022, 05:21 PM   #1586
Kodos
Resident Alien

If I were Tua, I’d retire. He’s clearly prone to concussions, and you don’t want to be piling those up like he is.
Old 12-26-2022, 05:55 PM   #1587
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
If I were Tua, I’d retire. He’s clearly prone to concussions, and you don’t want to be piling those up like he is.

Totally agree. He’s made some decent money. It doesn’t seem worth it anymore at this point.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2022, 06:22 PM   #1588
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
So is he not self reporting symptoms? There’s a complete failure in that organization/the league right now if he’s played 3 different times with concussions

I have no idea. I was on my phone and reading Twitter and some guy posted video that he recorded at the time it happened when he thought Tua had been concussed. Now, whether Tua knew it, or anyone else knew it, who knows?
Old 12-26-2022, 07:46 PM   #1589
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:

He did report it... on Monday.

Tua is going to prove how tough he is even if it means... well... yeah that.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 12-26-2022, 08:12 PM   #1590
miami_fan
Coordinator

Dola,

Mac Jones should be facing a HEAVY fine for that BS dive at the Bengal player's knees. He should be suspended but that is too much to ask the league to suspend a QB for something like that.
Old 12-26-2022, 09:27 PM   #1591
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Why go for it there down ten?
Old 12-26-2022, 09:29 PM   #1592
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Why go for it there down ten?

Leader of men
Old 12-26-2022, 10:21 PM   #1593
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Dola,

Mac Jones should be facing a HEAVY fine for that BS dive at the Bengal player's knees. He should be suspended but that is too much to ask the league to suspend a QB for something like that.

Seems kind of bullshit that you can't breathe in the direction of a QB without a penalty and fine but if they try to blow out someone's knees who wasn't even involved in the play, it's cool.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2022, 10:21 PM   #1594
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

The concussion for Tua makes sense. He was carving up the Packers in the first half and some of those picks in the 2nd half were really bizarre.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2022, 10:02 AM   #1595
stevew
Hall Of Famer

JJ Watt calling it a career.
Old 12-27-2022, 10:04 AM   #1596
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Seems kind of bullshit that you can't breathe in the direction of a QB without a penalty and fine but if they try to blow out someone's knees who wasn't even involved in the play, it's cool.

Well apparently the cost of trying to blow out someone's knees is $11,139 (I wonder how they got that number).

Report: Mac Jones will be fined for low hit on Eli Apple

ETA: Also trying to injure a player is just a tad more expensive than flipping a ball at them which costs $10,609. So it's definitely a better value for Mac Jones.

Last edited by NobodyHere : 12-27-2022 at 10:07 AM.
NobodyHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2022, 10:05 AM   #1597
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
The concussion for Tua makes sense. He was carving up the Packers in the first half and some of those picks in the 2nd half were really bizarre.

But how do you explain the Colts quarterback play?
Old 12-27-2022, 10:17 AM   #1598
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
JJ Watt calling it a career.

How sad. I didn't really know a lot about him off the field until he came to the Cardinals. Now he's one of my favorite players off all time.
Old 12-27-2022, 10:17 AM   #1599
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Well apparently the cost of trying to blow out someone's knees is $11,139 (I wonder how they got that number).

Report: Mac Jones will be fined for low hit on Eli Apple

ETA: Also trying to injure a player is just a tad more expensive than flipping a ball at them which costs $10,609. So it's definitely a better value for Mac Jones.

Accountability: Fines & Appeals | NFL Football Operations

Pretty sure it’s just compound Bidenflation applied to a 10k base amount
Old 12-28-2022, 03:03 PM   #1600
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Derek Carr benched, my guess he’s the starter on the Bucs or Jets next year maybe?