Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-26-2014, 08:52 PM   #1501
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Its funny that on the front page of the Backstoppers site is a disclaimer. It says:
The BackStoppers, Inc. does not organize, sponsor or control any fundraising efforts. We are sincerely grateful on behalf of the families of the fallen for the efforts of those who organize fundraisers.

Do some research. Backstoppers is an outstanding organization that does great things for our first responders.
Sure they may have accepted money, but Im not sure that is even true. But they didnt sel t-shirts. They accept money from others that fund raise.

Even if there is no money involved, a prosecutor cannot be the president of such an orginization and not be looked at in a questionable fashion.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 08:59 PM   #1502
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Its funny that on the front page of the Backstoppers site is a disclaimer. It says:
The BackStoppers, Inc. does not organize, sponsor or control any fundraising efforts. We are sincerely grateful on behalf of the families of the fallen for the efforts of those who organize fundraisers.

Do some research. Backstoppers is an outstanding organization that does great things for our first responders.
Sure they may have accepted money, but Im not sure that is even true. But they didnt sel t-shirts. They accept money from others that fund raise.

The teespring account was linked to a member of the Backstoppers board.

I SUPPORT OFFICER D. WILSON | Teespring
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 09:00 PM   #1503
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
Even if there is no money involved, a prosecutor cannot be the president of such an orginization and not be looked at in a questionable fashion.

Looks like they didnt take money from the t-shirt.

Nice try guys.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 09:03 PM   #1504
molson
General Manager

Quote:

Supporting families who have been impacted by crime or other tragedy is not in conflict with the duties of a prosecutor.

These kinds of questions come up a lot. My state bar was recently soliciting for volunteers for a program that helps domestic violence victims through the process of acquiring no-contact orders. Prosecutors aren't ineligible. It could be possible that a prosecutor becomes friends with a domestic violence victim and maybe shouldn't be assigned to a case involving that person. But prosecutors aren't disqualified from helping people or being involved in organizations that help people absent an actual conflict, or the appearance of an actual conflict.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 09:13 PM   #1505
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
The teespring account was linked to a member of the Backstoppers board.

I SUPPORT OFFICER D. WILSON | Teespring

I'm sure there's "Darren Wilson Supporters" among the ranks of an organization that helps families of deceased police officers and firefighters. That doesn't make their underlying mission illegitimate or something a prosecutor isn't allowed to participate in. The legal conflict rules just aren't that broad.

A different question is bias. I know some people think he shouldn't have handled this case because his father was an officer who was killed by a black man. I can kind of understand that that view, but again, I think it's too broad. All prosecutors, defense attorneys, and judges, and lawyers generally, have lives, many of them have been impacted by crime, have been screwed over on a contracting job, had a paternity dispute, whatever. That doesn't mean they can't fairly handle cases involving those things. I can't even imagine how we would sort all that out if it wasn't the case. I guess on our first day we'd have to disclose all events in our lives into a database and then have an office assistant match up cases that are the most foreign to us as possible.

Last edited by molson : 11-26-2014 at 09:15 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 09:51 PM   #1506
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Depends upon who is doing the looking I guess.

That's precisely the sort of person I want as a prosecutor tbh. One that lands on the right side of justice, which as Neal Boortz so eloquently defined it this week "Justice means getting what you deserve".

In Ferguson, justice was served more than once in recent events.
Old 11-26-2014, 10:43 PM   #1507
TCY Junkie
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post
No conflict of interest there...

Wouldn't they make more money if it went to trial?

TCY Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 01:33 AM   #1508
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Well, this doesn't help either:
[/list]Criminal Justice Fact Sheet | NAACP

Surely those numbers have nothing to do with policing or the justice system.

Taking this in isolation from the rest of the thread, you have to at least look at what those numbers relate to: do the offences include stealing to fund a habit, violent crimes too, etc. What is breakdown of user/dealer offences? Misdemeanour crimes or more serious?

May be a similar story when you do dig deeper, but these numbers are in this format not proving what you want them to prove.

Last edited by AlexB : 11-27-2014 at 01:56 AM.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 09:43 AM   #1509
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
People will start moving to Cleveland's incident at any point now.

Speaking of the Cleveland mess:

Video: Cops Shot, Killed 12-Year-Old Two Seconds After Arriving at Park

Cops stop right in front of the kid, open the door, shoot. That's it. There were almost 1000 better ways to approach this situation.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

Last edited by PilotMan : 11-27-2014 at 09:44 AM.
PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 09:51 AM   #1510
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

And the dispatcher didn't pass on the fact that the 911 caller thought the gun might be fake.
Old 11-27-2014, 10:04 AM   #1511
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexB View Post
Taking this in isolation from the rest of the thread, you have to at least look at what those numbers relate to: do the offences include stealing to fund a habit, violent crimes too, etc. What is breakdown of user/dealer offences? Misdemeanour crimes or more serious?

May be a similar story when you do dig deeper, but these numbers are in this format not proving what you want them to prove.

Because yes - the vast majority of blacks in prison on drug offenses are dealers or are in there because of violent crimes (wait, I thought they were in there on drug offenses?)

Blacks are more likely to be stopped and searched, and if a white person and a black person are both caught with the same amount of drugs, who do you think is more likely to go to prison, and who will serve the longer term?

Blacks by and large don't get the "good kid" or "upstanding citizen" benefit of the doubt. Take Brown - he takes some cigars and shoves a storekeeper and he is labeled a thug and therefore is free game to be gunned down. Someone like affluenza boy kills two and gets residential treatment. Yeah, some of that is having money and the ability to get better representation. But hey, who is it who has the money to buy better lawyers, anyway?

Last edited by cuervo72 : 11-27-2014 at 10:05 AM.
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 10:15 AM   #1512
Edward64
Head Coach

I think he says it well, a little bit from all sides.

NFL player Benjamin Watson's Ferguson post on Facebook goes vira - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather KHQ.com
Quote:
KHQ.COM - Benjamin Watson who plays for the New Orleans Saints posted the following on his Facebook page and it has since gone viral:

"At some point while I was playing or preparing to play Monday Night Football, the news broke about the Ferguson Decision. After trying to figure out how I felt, I decided to write it down. Here are my thoughts:

I'M ANGRY because the stories of injustice that have been passed down for generations seem to be continuing before our very eyes.

I'M FRUSTRATED, because pop culture, music and movies glorify these types of police citizen altercations and promote an invincible attitude that continues to get young men killed in real life, away from safety movie sets and music studios.

I'M FEARFUL because in the back of my mind I know that although I'm a law abiding citizen I could still be looked upon as a "threat" to those who don't know me. So I will continue to have to go the extra mile to earn the benefit of the doubt.

I'M EMBARRASSED because the looting, violent protests, and law breaking only confirm, and in the minds of many, validate, the stereotypes and thus the inferior treatment.

I'M SAD, because another young life was lost from his family, the racial divide has widened, a community is in shambles, accusations, insensitivity hurt and hatred are boiling over, and we may never know the truth about what happened that day.

I'M SYMPATHETIC, because I wasn't there so I don't know exactly what happened. Maybe Darren Wilson acted within his rights and duty as an officer of the law and killed Michael Brown in self defense like any of us would in the circumstance. Now he has to fear the backlash against himself and his loved ones when he was only doing his job. What a horrible thing to endure. OR maybe he provoked Michael and ignited the series of events that led to him eventually murdering the young man to prove a point.

I'M OFFENDED, because of the insulting comments I've seen that are not only insensitive but dismissive to the painful experiences of others.

I'M CONFUSED, because I don't know why it's so hard to obey a policeman. You will not win!!! And I don't know why some policeman abuse their power. Power is a responsibility, not a weapon to brandish and lord over the populace.

I'M INTROSPECTIVE, because sometimes I want to take "our" side without looking at the facts in situations like these. Sometimes I feel like it's us against them. Sometimes I'm just as prejudiced as people I point fingers at. And that's not right. How can I look at white skin and make assumptions but not want assumptions made about me? That's not right.

I'M HOPELESS, because I've lived long enough to expect things like this to continue to happen. I'm not surprised and at some point my little children are going to inherit the weight of being a minority and all that it entails.

I'M HOPEFUL, because I know that while we still have race issues in America, we enjoy a much different normal than those of our parents and grandparents. I see it in my personal relationships with teammates, friends and mentors. And it's a beautiful thing.

I'M ENCOURAGED, because ultimately the problem is not a SKIN problem, it is a SIN problem. SIN is the reason we rebel against authority. SIN is the reason we abuse our authority. SIN is the reason we are racist, prejudiced and lie to cover for our own. SIN is the reason we riot, loot and burn. BUT I'M ENCOURAGED because God has provided a solution for sin through the his son Jesus and with it, a transformed heart and mind. One that's capable of looking past the outward and seeing what's truly important in every human being. The cure for the Michael Brown, Trayvon Martin, Tamir Rice and Eric Garner tragedies is not education or exposure. It's the Gospel. So, finally, I'M ENCOURAGED because the Gospel gives mankind hope."

Last edited by Edward64 : 11-27-2014 at 10:16 AM.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 10:20 AM   #1513
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Really well said, sadly a lot of his comments would get him called an Uncle Tom
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 10:28 AM   #1514
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Edward, thanks for posting that. The last one is what nearly no one talks about and is the true heart of the matter (in this tragic situation and in all others as well). But there are many who do not even acknowledge the nature of sin that is inherent to each one of us, let alone the need to be redeemed from sin that separates us from God. Mr. Watson is correct, the Gospel is the true hope in turning away from the ruinous and rebellious nature of sin.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving everyone.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 11:14 AM   #1515
BYU 14
Coordinator

Saw Watson's post on FB, it is truly one of the best pieces of writing I have seen on this whole thing.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 11:50 AM   #1516
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Because yes - the vast majority of blacks in prison on drug offenses are dealers or are in there because of violent crimes (wait, I thought they were in there on drug offenses?)

Blacks are more likely to be stopped and searched, and if a white person and a black person are both caught with the same amount of drugs, who do you think is more likely to go to prison, and who will serve the longer term?

Blacks by and large don't get the "good kid" or "upstanding citizen" benefit of the doubt. Take Brown - he takes some cigars and shoves a storekeeper and he is labeled a thug and therefore is free game to be gunned down. Someone like affluenza boy kills two and gets residential treatment. Yeah, some of that is having money and the ability to get better representation. But hey, who is it who has the money to buy better lawyers, anyway?

Violent crimes: e.g. muggings to get money for drugs = drug related offence.

I specifically said 'when you dig deeper you may get the same results' as I've got no horse in this race, but those numbers don't in themselves show what was being inferred

Last edited by AlexB : 11-27-2014 at 11:51 AM.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 12:33 PM   #1517
Dutch
"Dutch"

Black Ferguson Residents Arm Themselves and Descend Upon White-Owned Business — The Reason Why Is Front-Page Worthy | TheBlaze.com

Gotta respect everybody that can see past skin color to defend what lies beneath.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 01:11 PM   #1518
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post

Agreed. This is far more worthy of attention than the fiasco that started this all. Good for them.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 01:22 PM   #1519
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

The article is from TheBlaze so you know it's trustworthy.
Old 11-29-2014, 01:27 PM   #1520
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post

One of the overlying themes to come out of this incident is the inability for people on each side to see past their prejudices and open a dialogue. Glad you exist to show that this is absolutely true. You are one of the most close minded posters in this thread and yet in your own world you probably pat yourself on the back all the time for how open minded you think you are.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 01:47 PM   #1521
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:

I don't know anything about that site, sorry.
Old 11-29-2014, 02:08 PM   #1522
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
One of the overlying themes to come out of this incident is the inability for people on each side to see past their prejudices and open a dialogue. Glad you exist to show that this is absolutely true. You are one of the most close minded posters in this thread and yet in your own world you probably pat yourself on the back all the time for how open minded you think you are.

"Posts link from reactionary, prejudiced site"

"You know, that's not the most balanced site.."

"YOU PREJUDICED CLOSED MINDED MONSTER"
Old 11-29-2014, 03:24 PM   #1523
Dutch
"Dutch"

In Ferguson, black residents stand guard at white-owned store
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...0JA1XF20141126

Last edited by Dutch : 11-29-2014 at 03:26 PM.
Old 11-29-2014, 04:07 PM   #1524
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
I don't know anything about that site, sorry.

It's Glenn Beck's company and I'm not a fan.

YMMV
Old 11-29-2014, 06:22 PM   #1525
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
It's Glenn Beck's company and I'm not a fan.

YMMV

Well, FWIW, my intention was to post a feel-good story amidst the ugliness of Ferguson...but who really cares?
Old 12-01-2014, 05:22 PM   #1526
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

The details of this sound awfully familiar.......with a much different ending.

Officer shot, killed after crazed man snatches gun: police - NY Daily News
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 03:32 PM   #1527
Dutch
"Dutch"

Pack of teens beats man to death near Ferguson, but protests sparse | Fox News
Old 12-02-2014, 03:51 PM   #1528
cuervo72
Head Coach

Horrible, and fuck those kids. But:

1. The killers were not cops, were not charged with protecting anyone (or provided weapons to do so), and hold no position of authority.
2. You can be damned sure there will be trials for the accused.
Old 12-02-2014, 04:15 PM   #1529
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

1. The killers were not cops, were not charged with protecting anyone (or provided weapons to do so), and hold no position of authority.

I agree 100% about the cops and hate that Michael Browns death became a black/white thing instead of a overzealous cop thing. Which brings me to my second point... Fuck the media with a capital F. This was definitely a black on white random crime and they go out off their way locally (didn't read the Fox News link as I have seen enough around here) to avoid talking race and all of the race baiting that caused this shit to blow up bigger than it needed to. On top of that what I find the most amusing is these very same cops who were not to be trusted at all by the media and local politicians in the Michael Brown case suddenly are completely believable when they say it isn't a hate crime. What hypocritical bullshit.
Old 12-02-2014, 04:33 PM   #1530
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
they go out off their way locally (didn't read the Fox News link as I have seen enough around here) to avoid talking race .

the media may try to explicitly omit race from their reporting, but just can't resist the temptation to reference it subtly. Hence the charged phrases: "pack of teens" (as if they are feral) and "thugs".

Last edited by lighthousekeeper : 12-02-2014 at 04:35 PM.
lighthousekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 05:59 PM   #1531
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

A grand jury in NY has refused to indict the cop that used a department banned chokehold to kill an unarmed black man.
Old 12-03-2014, 06:02 PM   #1532
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

Zimmerman wasn't a cop either and that turned into a "horrible case of racial injustice" once the media made Zimmerman an honorary white man for the sake of stoking the fire.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 06:04 PM   #1533
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthousekeeper View Post
Hence the charged phrases: "pack of teens" (as if they are feral) and "thugs".

If the charge fits ...
Old 12-03-2014, 06:08 PM   #1534
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
A grand jury in NY has refused to indict the cop that used a department banned chokehold to kill an unarmed black man.

Well, he was black. Since he's seen as a lower form of life, the rules don't apply. The cop would've been in deeper shit if he had hurt a dog or a cat.
Old 12-03-2014, 06:13 PM   #1535
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Well, he was black. Since he's seen as a lower form of life, the rules don't apply. The cop would've been in deeper shit if he had hurt a dog or a cat.

So much for camera packs mounted to officers making a difference in stopping this type of behavior.
Old 12-03-2014, 06:18 PM   #1536
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthousekeeper View Post
the media may try to explicitly omit race from their reporting, but just can't resist the temptation to reference it subtly. Hence the charged phrases: "pack of teens" (as if they are feral) and "thugs".

How else are you supposed to describe a group of teens who beat a man to death with hammers?
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 06:19 PM   #1537
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
So much for camera packs mounted to officers making a difference in stopping this type of behavior.

It's becoming apparent that we don't have much use or respect for black people in this country, unless they are doing something to entertain us.
Old 12-03-2014, 06:35 PM   #1538
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
It's becoming apparent that we don't have much use or respect for black people in this country, unless they are doing something to entertain us.

Yes of course. Two incidents involving criminal suspects and cops make it obvious that nobody respects black people in the entire country. As absurd as the people who claim the election of a black president means all race problems have been solved (Your blanket statements in this thread even ignore the liberal blowhards who pat themselves on the back for all they do for the black cause on their computers on message boards and comments sections all over the interwebs!)
Old 12-03-2014, 06:41 PM   #1539
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Yes of course. Two incidents involving criminal suspects and cops make it obvious that nobody respects black people in the entire country. As absurd as the people who claim the election of a black president means all race problems have been solved (Your blanket statements in this thread even ignore the liberal blowhards who pat themselves on the back for all they do for the black cause on their computers on message boards and comments sections all over the interwebs!)

Come on do you really want to ignore the fact that this is common place?.......
I am white and grew up in a upper middle class family in a suburb of Boston and had little interaction with non Caucasians until my entering into the Air Force. In my ten years in the service I spent almost my entire time over seas. I gained a distinct appreciation for how many "minority" groups in this country are really treated, perceived and what it is like for them when I lived and worked for 3 + years in South Korea. There it was common to have taxis drivers go by me and stop for a local instead, told they won't serve Americans in many restaraunts, I was spit at , kids cursed at me etc. All while aim was there serving to protect them from the North. If you haven't truly experienced being a minority group or discrimination a person will have a hard time understanding this all. Though anyone is free to have an opinion still and judge for themselves things it holds much less weight to be honest.

Last edited by Galaril : 12-03-2014 at 06:43 PM.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 06:44 PM   #1540
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post

Exactly what fact is commonplace?
Old 12-03-2014, 06:46 PM   #1541
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Exactly what fact is commonplace?

That police over stepping their authority is not more common than was inferred above.

Last edited by Galaril : 12-03-2014 at 06:47 PM.
Old 12-03-2014, 06:47 PM   #1542
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I am white and grew up in a upper middle class family in a suburb of Boston and had little interaction with non Caucasians until my entering into the Air Force. In my ten years in the service I spent almost my entire time over seas. I gained a distinct appreciation for how many "minority" groups in this country are really treated, perceived and what it is like for them when I lived and worked for 3 + years in South Korea. There it was common to have taxis drivers go by me and stop for a local instead, told they won't serve Americans in many restaraunts, I was spit at , kids cursed at me etc. All while aim was there serving to protect them from the North. If you haven't truly experienced being a minority group or discrimination a person will have a hard time understanding this all. Though anyone is free to have an opinion still and judge for themselves things it holds much less weight to be honest.

I disagree that we hold more value on cats and animals in this country and have no use for black people except for our own entertainment. I was pointing out that liberal blowhards like him are just as useless to listen to and debate issues with than conservative "Obama elected, there is no racism". If you want to hitch your wagon to BillJasper's nonsense that is your own problem. (And from the sounds of it you think this issue is more nuanced than white people demanding a return of Amo & Andy and slavery for the rest)
Old 12-03-2014, 06:49 PM   #1543
Groundhog
Coordinator

I don't even know what to say re: Garner. From what I understand the death was ruled a homicide, the cop used an illegal choke hold and killed an unarmed man who was not attacking police, all caught on film and on youtube within hours of it happening. Madness. Oh well, mistakes happen in the line of duty? If a solider was filmed killing someone in this manner in the Middle East I wonder what would happen to him.
Old 12-03-2014, 06:52 PM   #1544
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
I disagree that we hold more value on cats and animals in this country and have no use for black people except for our own entertainment. I was pointing out that liberal blowhards like him are just as useless to listen to and debate issues with than conservative "Obama elected, there is no racism". If you want to hitch your wagon to BillJasper's nonsense that is your own problem. (And from the sounds of it you think this issue is more nuanced than white people demanding a return of Amo & Andy and slavery for the rest)

Panerd,

You raise some valid points and agree and if he stated that we treat cats and dogs better than some humans then that is a case by case and this all is layered with a lot nuance . In the end all sides are part of the problem it takes to slices of bread to make a shit sandwich for sure.
Old 12-03-2014, 06:52 PM   #1545
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
I don't even know what to say re: Garner. From what I understand the death was ruled a homicide, the cop used an illegal choke hold and killed an unarmed man who was not attacking police, all caught on film and on youtube within hours of it happening. Madness. Oh well, mistakes happen in the line of duty? If a solider was filmed killing someone in this manner in the Middle East I wonder what would happen to him.

Honestly? Likely nothing and there wouldn't even be any protests. USA! USA! USA!
Old 12-03-2014, 06:59 PM   #1546
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
That police over stepping their authority is not more common than was inferred above.

In regards to blacks, as what you replied to panerd about, or counting all manner of over stepping authority? How many incidents does it take for it to be called commonplace and how frequently in time and location?
Old 12-03-2014, 06:59 PM   #1547
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Panerd,

You raise some valid points and agree and if he stated that we treat cats and dogs better than some humans then that is a case by case and this all is layered with a lot nuance . In the end all sides are part of the problem it takes to slices of bread to make a shit sandwich for sure.

What makes me the most sad is the two issues at play here (overzealous/over militarized cops and outright criminal behavior) seem divided into two camps where each side feels the need to make excuses for "their side". Both of these cops clearly overstepped their bounds and deserve punishment, the tanks and cops ready to go to a battlefield were ridiculous, and the looters (especially the arsonists) deserve to go to prison for a long time.

I hear reasonable talking points on these issues from "both sides" but very little agreement that everyone is wrong. You don't get to shoot unarmed men just because you are a dumb cop, you don't get to say "burn this bitch down" without repercussions, you don't get to be filmed looting and starting fires with no repercussions.
Old 12-03-2014, 07:04 PM   #1548
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Really?? You want to play that game???

Cops murder Kelly Thomas, a gentle homeless man with schizophrenia, because they didn't want him sitting in that area and threatened to “f--- him up” before killing him: Raw video: Kelly Thomas police beating - YouTube
Cops threw flashbang into baby's crib (with children's toys all around the yard of the house and with no police work to justify the warrant). A SWAT team blew a hole in my 2-year-old son (UPDATE) - Salon.com Drug task force that killed an innocent pastor in 2009 also involved in burned toddler story* - The Washington Post
Cops shoot and kill a 7 year old girl who was asleep during a midnight home raid (while film crews were filming for TV): Charges Dropped For Cop Who Fatally Shot Sleeping 7-Year-Old Girl
Cop kills unarmed man holding baby: Trigger Happy Cop Kills Unarmed Man Holding Baby: Scottsdale, AZ - YouTube
Cop shoot elderly man reaching for cane: Dashcam shows cop shoot elderly man - CNN.com Video
Cops shoot to kill without even identifying the target: Mistaken identity: Aspiring TV producer shot dead | HLNtv.com
Cop shoots and kills homeless Albuquerque man for no reason: Albuquerque ordered to pay $6m over man's wrongful killing by police | US news | The Guardian
Cop kills innocent, unarmed father in a stairwell because he claimed the stairwell was dark: Police: N.Y. officer fatally shoots unarmed man - CNN.com
Cop’s record cleared for accidentally shooting boy in head: http://www.informationliberation.com/?id=44700
Cop shoots boy in chest when he answered the door, mistaking a Wii controller for a gun: Attorney: Teen was shot for having Wii controller in hand | www.wsbtv.com
Cops beat delusional man to death as citizens watch: Washington Man Cries For Help as He’s Beaten to Death By Police (Video) | Atlas Left
Cops unleash attack dog on innocent college kid already being restrained on ground by numerous officers, no punishment to officers at all: Video captures beating of college student in Atlantic City - CNN.com
Cops shoot and kill elderly man in his own garage at night while checking out the wrong address: Police Fatally Shoot Grandfather, 72, While Searching the Wrong Home for Burglar, Blame ‘Poor Lighting’ | Video | TheBlaze.com
Cops shoot at man in streets in NY, hit bystanders: Police wound 2 bystanders near Times Square - CNN.com
Cops lied to obtain a no-knock warrant and shot and killed a grandma in her own home, then planted drugs to cover up the crime: Kathryn Johnston shooting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Cops shoots and kills honors student at college campus: Valedictorian and honors student shot dead by college campus cop during routine traffic stop | Daily Mail Online
Cops shoot and wound man getting cigarettes from his own car at his own house for no reason at all: Unarmed Man Shot by Deputies Inside His Own Car Outside His Own Home
Cops kill man by compressing him while arresting him while he was distraught: http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/26/justic...html?hpt=hp_t2
Police shoot diabetic man after his wife called for medical help, they claim he picked up a knife: Woman Says She Called 911 for an Ambulance for Her Fiancé, Cops Came and Shot Him Instead - Hit & Run : Reason.com
Cops shoot man holding a toy gun in walmart with no warning and lied in their report. Beavercreek Walmart shooting: Grand jury returns no indictments | www.whio.com
Covert officers assault girls for buying bottled water, cops thought it was alcohol: Felony Arrest Of Student Who Bought Water Riles Many In Virginia : The Two-Way : NPR
Cops kill man with garden hose using a shotgun and no warning: Tyranny USA -- Unarmed Man Shot Dead By Police While Watering Neighbor's Lawn - YouTube
Florida man survives 13 shots by officers while sitting in his car: Roy Middleton, Florida man mistakenly shot by deputies, wonders why - CNN.com
Cops almost shoot and kill a hospital-worker in her own home with a warrant for an entire apartment complex and screaming at her door: Lyons: Police raid felt like home invasion | HeraldTribune.com
Cops raiding small friendly poker games with militarized tactics, accidentally killing people-- “Why did you shoot me, I was reading a book.”: “Why did you shoot me? I was reading a book”: The new warrior cop is out of control - Salon.com
Cop beats handcuffed teen and is acquitted because video ‘should only be used to protect cops, not prosecute them.’ http://intellihub.com/2013/07/05/jud...eo-of-assault/
Cop purposely holds onto door handle so he would have the right to shoot and kill a Sunday school teacher who was driving away from the cops. Cops Shoots Unarmed Woman Motorist To Death For Rolling Up Her Car Window - YouTube
Cops use dubious excuses to justify lethal force: U.S. and the World - Border Patrol Used Dubious Tactics to Create Pretext to Justify Shootings; CBP Tried to Bury Scathing Report - AllGov - News
Cop shoots homeless man who was deaf and doing woodcarving: 44 Officers Are Charged After Ohio Sting Operation - New York Times
Cop shoots man in back several times, then stands over him and shoots again to kill him—questionable whether the man actually was armed or not—conflicting evidence given. 4409 -- LAPD chase man EXECUTE him Claim Self Defense - YouTube
Cop attacks random people in crowd and punches NY judge, judge shocked that cop not charged: Judge Thomas Raffaele's Alleged NYPD Attacker Won't Face Criminal Charges
Drunk NY cops shoot at people: Three Drunk NYPD Officers Shoot at People -- NYMag
Cop with dismal record shoots 12 year old boy with toy gun: Officer who fatally shot Tamir Rice judged unfit for duty by police in 2012 | US news | The Guardian
Cop shoots and kills handcuffed man: El Paso Releases Video of Cop Executing Handcuffed Man — Where’s the Anger? | VICE News
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 07:21 PM   #1549
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Really?? You want to play that game???

Cops murder Kelly Thomas, a gentle homeless man with schizophrenia, because they didn't want him sitting in that area and threatened to “f--- him up” before killing him: Raw video: Kelly Thomas police beating - YouTube
Cops threw flashbang into baby's crib (with children's toys all around the yard of the house and with no police work to justify the warrant). A SWAT team blew a hole in my 2-year-old son (UPDATE) - Salon.com Drug task force that killed an innocent pastor in 2009 also involved in burned toddler story* - The Washington Post
Cops shoot and kill a 7 year old girl who was asleep during a midnight home raid (while film crews were filming for TV): Charges Dropped For Cop Who Fatally Shot Sleeping 7-Year-Old Girl
Cop kills unarmed man holding baby: Trigger Happy Cop Kills Unarmed Man Holding Baby: Scottsdale, AZ - YouTube
Cop shoot elderly man reaching for cane: Dashcam shows cop shoot elderly man - CNN.com Video
Cops shoot to kill without even identifying the target: Mistaken identity: Aspiring TV producer shot dead | HLNtv.com
Cop shoots and kills homeless Albuquerque man for no reason: Albuquerque ordered to pay $6m over man's wrongful killing by police | US news | The Guardian
Cop kills innocent, unarmed father in a stairwell because he claimed the stairwell was dark: Police: N.Y. officer fatally shoots unarmed man - CNN.com
Cop’s record cleared for accidentally shooting boy in head: http://www.informationliberation.com/?id=44700
Cop shoots boy in chest when he answered the door, mistaking a Wii controller for a gun: Attorney: Teen was shot for having Wii controller in hand | www.wsbtv.com
Cops beat delusional man to death as citizens watch: Washington Man Cries For Help as He’s Beaten to Death By Police (Video) | Atlas Left
Cops unleash attack dog on innocent college kid already being restrained on ground by numerous officers, no punishment to officers at all: Video captures beating of college student in Atlantic City - CNN.com
Cops shoot and kill elderly man in his own garage at night while checking out the wrong address: Police Fatally Shoot Grandfather, 72, While Searching the Wrong Home for Burglar, Blame ‘Poor Lighting’ | Video | TheBlaze.com
Cops shoot at man in streets in NY, hit bystanders: Police wound 2 bystanders near Times Square - CNN.com
Cops lied to obtain a no-knock warrant and shot and killed a grandma in her own home, then planted drugs to cover up the crime: Kathryn Johnston shooting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Cops shoots and kills honors student at college campus: Valedictorian and honors student shot dead by college campus cop during routine traffic stop | Daily Mail Online
Cops shoot and wound man getting cigarettes from his own car at his own house for no reason at all: Unarmed Man Shot by Deputies Inside His Own Car Outside His Own Home
Cops kill man by compressing him while arresting him while he was distraught: Oklahoma father dies in police encounter after mother slaps daughter - CNN.com
Police shoot diabetic man after his wife called for medical help, they claim he picked up a knife: Woman Says She Called 911 for an Ambulance for Her Fiancé, Cops Came and Shot Him Instead - Hit & Run : Reason.com
Cops shoot man holding a toy gun in walmart with no warning and lied in their report. Beavercreek Walmart shooting: Grand jury returns no indictments | www.whio.com
Covert officers assault girls for buying bottled water, cops thought it was alcohol: Felony Arrest Of Student Who Bought Water Riles Many In Virginia : The Two-Way : NPR
Cops kill man with garden hose using a shotgun and no warning: Tyranny USA -- Unarmed Man Shot Dead By Police While Watering Neighbor's Lawn - YouTube
Florida man survives 13 shots by officers while sitting in his car: Roy Middleton, Florida man mistakenly shot by deputies, wonders why - CNN.com
Cops almost shoot and kill a hospital-worker in her own home with a warrant for an entire apartment complex and screaming at her door: Lyons: Police raid felt like home invasion | HeraldTribune.com
Cops raiding small friendly poker games with militarized tactics, accidentally killing people-- “Why did you shoot me, I was reading a book.”: “Why did you shoot me? I was reading a book”: The new warrior cop is out of control - Salon.com
Cop beats handcuffed teen and is acquitted because video ‘should only be used to protect cops, not prosecute them.’ http://intellihub.com/2013/07/05/jud...eo-of-assault/
Cop purposely holds onto door handle so he would have the right to shoot and kill a Sunday school teacher who was driving away from the cops. Cops Shoots Unarmed Woman Motorist To Death For Rolling Up Her Car Window - YouTube
Cops use dubious excuses to justify lethal force: U.S. and the World - Border Patrol Used Dubious Tactics to Create Pretext to Justify Shootings; CBP Tried to Bury Scathing Report - AllGov - News
Cop shoots homeless man who was deaf and doing woodcarving: 44 Officers Are Charged After Ohio Sting Operation - New York Times
Cop shoots man in back several times, then stands over him and shoots again to kill him—questionable whether the man actually was armed or not—conflicting evidence given. 4409 -- LAPD chase man EXECUTE him Claim Self Defense - YouTube
Cop attacks random people in crowd and punches NY judge, judge shocked that cop not charged: Judge Thomas Raffaele's Alleged NYPD Attacker Won't Face Criminal Charges
Drunk NY cops shoot at people: Three Drunk NYPD Officers Shoot at People -- NYMag
Cop with dismal record shoots 12 year old boy with toy gun: Officer who fatally shot Tamir Rice judged unfit for duty by police in 2012 | US news | The Guardian
Cop shoots and kills handcuffed man: El Paso Releases Video of Cop Executing Handcuffed Man — Where’s the Anger? | VICE News

You are picking on the wrong person here DT. I'm with you on the unaccountable cops and militarized police state. It just doesn't have anything to do with his implication that these incidents means everyone (myself and I guess even you included) hates black people
Old 12-03-2014, 07:29 PM   #1550
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
I hear reasonable talking points on these issues from "both sides" but very little agreement that everyone is wrong. You don't get to shoot unarmed men just because you are a dumb cop, you don't get to say "burn this bitch down" without repercussions, you don't get to be filmed looting and starting fires with no repercussions.

I am pretty sure there will be repercussions for the latter two incidents. The first one... well I would not call any of the cops dumb but I am still waiting for one of them to feel those repercussions.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote