Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-13-2014, 09:08 PM   #1501
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I'll get it as soon as X comes out. Xenoblade Chronicles is/was an amazing RPG to the point where I'll buy the sequel sight unseen (I've played about 70 or 80 hours of XC but haven't touched it in the last 6 months because we bought a house and are still moving in but really want to get back into it). But I also have a feeling it might be a game that doesn't see the light of day until late 2015 or later.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 11:09 PM   #1502
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Yeah, saw the notes on the Nintendo direct but they may be incomplete since IGN has decide to make everything video instead of something I can read. The big news is Mario Kart 8 and Mario Golf in May. Still no date for SSB. I have a feeling something will happen with regards to either more free games, a price drop, or something more drastic.

SI

Something more drastic seems to be the common consensus right now. Lots of rumors that they are working full-throttle on a new console. They have to know that the WiiU is a lost cause at this point.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 11:31 PM   #1503
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

dola

NPD sales numbers are out for January and it's more bad news for Microsoft. Microsoft refused to provide numbers, but a Sony spokesperson stated that the PS4 outsold its nearest competition by a two to one margin.

Early indications online are that the Xbox One sold 143,000 units, with the PS3 selling somewhere between 270,000-280,000 units.

January 2014 NPD: PlayStation 4 outsells Xbox One by 2-to-1 margin | GamesBeat | Games | by Jeff Grubb
Old 02-13-2014, 11:40 PM   #1504
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Also in the same article:

January NPD Group figures released today revealed [that] Xbox systems sold the most games across all console platforms in January with 2.27 million units sold, making up 47 percent of software market share
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 11:47 PM   #1505
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
Also in the same article:

January NPD Group figures released today revealed [that] Xbox systems sold the most games across all console platforms in January with 2.27 million units sold, making up 47 percent of software market share

Note that number is both X1 and X360. You know it's bad when you have to add in sales from last gen to claim any form of victory.

A much more telling number and apples to apples comparison is which version of the big 3rd party titles sold more on current gen systems.

Quote:
COD: X1
NBA 2K14: PS4
BF4: PS4
AC4: PS4
Madden: PS4
Fifa: PS4
Lego: X1
Tomb Raider: PS4
Old 02-14-2014, 12:59 AM   #1506
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Something more drastic seems to be the common consensus right now. Lots of rumors that they are working full-throttle on a new console. They have to know that the WiiU is a lost cause at this point.

Releasing a new console any time soon would probably be a huge mistake for Nintendo. They'd have trouble going against the PS4 or XBox One right now and it would be a great way to alienate the consumer base that has purchased the Wii U.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 01:22 AM   #1507
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I hope Nintendo figures out the whole "single platform" thing they were talking about. Right now there are like 20-40 DS/3DS games I wanna play but there's no chance I'm buying a handheld console. Gimme a friggin decent control pad and put them on the big screen.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 09:54 AM   #1508
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I hope Nintendo figures out the whole "single platform" thing they were talking about. Right now there are like 20-40 DS/3DS games I wanna play but there's no chance I'm buying a handheld console. Gimme a friggin decent control pad and put them on the big screen.

That seems to be the consensus amongst gamers. They really want to see the rumored combo console become a reality.

Saw this article discussing the issues with the Gamepad and Kinect. These problems aren't going away if either of these companies expect to turn this generation around in their favor. Nintendo faces the problems of stiffing the few people that do own the WiiU. MS faces the issue of creating a new Kinect-less and disc-less SKU, in essence abandoning the main piece of hardware that was supposed to be the cornerstone of the system design and going to a solely digital format on those boxes. It's not an easy decision for either of them.

Kinect and GamePad are both deadweights | GamesIndustry International
Old 02-14-2014, 10:23 AM   #1509
BillJasper
Pro Starter

I think the PS4 and Xbox1 are two fairly similar pieces of tech.

There are two main reasons why I picked the PS4:

1. Rechargeable controllers. It's 2014, I don't want to be hassled with batteries.

2. Xbox Live, they have hounded me non-stop for more contact information which I simply don't want to give to Microsoft.

Microsoft should have also allowed Sony to have a larger opening launch window. They should've waited six months to a year after the launch of the PS4 to release Xbox1.

Last edited by BillJasper : 02-14-2014 at 10:24 AM.
BillJasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 10:55 AM   #1510
Kodos
Resident Alien

I'm pretty firmly in the PS4 camp when I finally decide to buy one of the next gen consoles. However, I don't see any games that make me need to buy it right now.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:59 AM   #1511
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post
Holy Shit! Madden actually has in-game saves now (at least in play now)! Welcome to 2005!

Actually, I like this version of Madden quite a bit. The replays actually look like broadcast replays now. Defenders actually change angles when pursuing ball carriers.

Have only played a couple Play Now games on the Pro level.

A Madden that wasn't crap would certainly help. And a good next-gen NCAA Football would sell me immediately.

Last edited by Kodos : 02-14-2014 at 11:00 AM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 11:38 AM   #1512
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
A Madden that wasn't crap would certainly help. And a good next-gen NCAA Football would sell me immediately.

I haven't gotten more than a few hours with it so far, but I believe this is the best "on the field" representation of football we've gotten from the Madden series.

Probably won't get time with franchise until Monday or so.
Old 02-14-2014, 12:14 PM   #1513
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Yeah, saw the notes on the Nintendo direct but they may be incomplete since IGN has decide to make everything video instead of something I can read. The big news is Mario Kart 8 and Mario Golf in May. Still no date for SSB. I have a feeling something will happen with regards to either more free games, a price drop, or something more drastic.

SI

I'm excited for Little Mac being in Smash Bros! Bummer they don't have a release date yet.

I'm also looking forward to X. I just wish Xenoblade Chronicles was selling at decent price. A used copy of the game still costs $60.
NobodyHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 12:56 PM   #1514
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
I'm also looking forward to X. I just wish Xenoblade Chronicles was selling at decent price. A used copy of the game still costs $60.

It's one of the rare games I bought at release and I was happy about that. Heck, for a time last year, it was floating around $100-$120 on the secondary market, if you could find a copy.

SI

Old 02-14-2014, 01:32 PM   #1515
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'll get it as soon as X comes out. Xenoblade Chronicles is/was an amazing RPG to the point where I'll buy the sequel sight unseen (I've played about 70 or 80 hours of XC but haven't touched it in the last 6 months because we bought a house and are still moving in but really want to get back into it). But I also have a feeling it might be a game that doesn't see the light of day until late 2015 or later.

SI

I can't wait for X. I'm early into Xenoblade Chronicles, but it is my favorite RPG in a long time.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 01:37 PM   #1516
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
It's one of the rare games I bought at release and I was happy about that. Heck, for a time last year, it was floating around $100-$120 on the secondary market, if you could find a copy.

SI

I ended up downloading an iso though it didn't run very well for me, might have to see if a newer version of Dolphin has better performance on my computer.
Old 02-14-2014, 01:52 PM   #1517
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
I can't wait for X. I'm early into Xenoblade Chronicles, but it is my favorite RPG in a long time.

Same. I'm a bit overleveled because I've been going nuts on the Affinity Chart. The battle mechanics are the only thing that seem a little weak to me. The visuals are good for the Wii, the soundtrack is excellent, the characters are enjoyable, the plot has been very good so far, and I love the huge, interactive world. I haven't played an MMORPG in a long time but this feels like an MMORPG world smashed into a console game but with a big central plot so you don't get lost in the weeds. Even if you go and help little Timmy's cat stuck up a tree (while a lot of the side quests are that level of mundane, you do it because you want Timmy to feel good) and then go track down 5 honey flowers for that nice old lady, it's hard to forget the overall plot when the Bionis and Mechonis are so woven into the very fabric of the game (like running around on the Gaur Plain and seeing random Mechonis or anytime you're near the edge of the Bionis and you can see the Mechonis in the distance).

SI

Old 02-14-2014, 09:22 PM   #1518
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
I'm excited for Little Mac being in Smash Bros! Bummer they don't have a release date yet.
In honor of Little Mac being in Smash Bros, I feel obligated to link the greatest youtube video eva!!!!!

Old 02-15-2014, 03:24 PM   #1519
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

X1 update goes live...

First Xbox One feature update goes live
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 06:12 PM   #1520
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Watching my youngest playing TitanFall on the XBox One - beautiful game and no lag that I can see, but shame there isn't a single player game (in the beta at least).

If you're into multi-player FPS then it seems very nicely done - if they include a single player mode like CoD then I think I'll enjoy it when its finished.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 12:06 AM   #1521
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

No single player.. at least I don't think. Still waiting on my email for the beta!
Old 02-16-2014, 06:44 AM   #1522
henry296
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
No single player.. at least I don't think. Still waiting on my email for the beta!

They just opened up the beta for everyone. Just go to the demos section under games in the store.
Old 02-16-2014, 06:47 AM   #1523
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

and yes, there is no single player game.. instead they are putting a narrative into the mltiplayer game apparently
Old 02-16-2014, 09:03 AM   #1524
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
and yes, there is no single player game.. instead they are putting a narrative into the mltiplayer game apparently

Thats just **** imho - my son played a couple of hours and I don't envisage him returning, it was very samey and frankly I have no interest in 'multi-player' gaming myself ... give me a decent single player (or dual player locally) campaign.

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 02-16-2014 at 09:04 AM.
Old 02-16-2014, 09:15 AM   #1525
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry296 View Post
They just opened up the beta for everyone. Just go to the demos section under games in the store.

Thanks!
Old 02-16-2014, 11:43 AM   #1526
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Boy, looks like we've hit the next drought in PS4 supply. Have to assume that Japan is the reason with the big release day only a week away. Amazon is accepting preorders, but the orders won't be fulfilled for another 7-10 days. Almost nothing else in stock other than a couple big bundles.
Old 02-16-2014, 11:56 AM   #1527
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
Thats just **** imho - my son played a couple of hours and I don't envisage him returning, it was very samey and frankly I have no interest in 'multi-player' gaming myself ... give me a decent single player (or dual player locally) campaign.

I wonder what the break down of COD in SP vs MP is. I only played MW2, but I have only touched the SP mode of the last 4 games for like less than an hour combined. But I've wasted weeks(maybe a month?) on the MP side of COD. I wonder how normal that is. I don't even consider that people would get the game for SP purposes.
Old 02-16-2014, 12:06 PM   #1528
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I wonder what the break down of COD in SP vs MP is. I only played MW2, but I have only touched the SP mode of the last 4 games for like less than an hour combined. But I've wasted weeks(maybe a month?) on the MP side of COD. I wonder how normal that is. I don't even consider that people would get the game for SP purposes.

I think it comes down to how 'hardcore' you are - I have awful reactions but still enjoy FPS games in single player for the storyline and also sharing 'dual player' games with my sons ... playing online is just stupid for me, there isn't much fun in watching my avatar be continually killed* ...

*To give an idea of my reactions when we used to play FPS's in the SI offices I'd hole up waiting to surprise someone as they came around a corner, generally in those circumstances where I surprised someone and was waiting I'd get killed 75% of the time by one of the younger people because their reactions trumped mine hugely.
Old 02-16-2014, 12:55 PM   #1529
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
After playing the Beta for Titanfall, I wonder how old the code was that they used for the Alpha. They have added a lot more, and the gameplay is a lot more balanced as well. No way all of that work was done in the past couple of weeks.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 01:10 PM   #1530
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Price incentives coming for the Xbox One less than three months after release. Target offering $50 gift cards with purchase.

Target: Buy an Xbox One, get a $50 GC - Video Game Deals - Cheap Ass Gamer
Old 02-16-2014, 04:28 PM   #1531
stevew
Hall Of Famer

WiiU is $300 with a $25 gift card at Target. XB1 includes a $50 GC.
Old 02-16-2014, 04:37 PM   #1532
BillJasper
Pro Starter

My Next Gen shopping is now done. Wife got a Wii U for Mario, Zelda and Zombie U. No Microsoft for me this round.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:17 AM   #1533
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Interesting tactic here by Konami. Rather than wait for the resolution firestorm to hit the internet, they've gone out and posted the official resolution and frames per second on each version of their upcoming MGS V: Ground Zeroes game along with screen shot comparisons. The Xbox One version will run at 720p and 60 fps while the PS4 version will run at 1080p and 60 fps.

PRODUCTS:METAL GEAR SOLID V: GROUND ZEROES
Old 02-17-2014, 11:11 PM   #1534
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Interesting tactic here by Konami. Rather than wait for the resolution firestorm to hit the internet, they've gone out and posted the official resolution and frames per second on each version of their upcoming MGS V: Ground Zeroes game along with screen shot comparisons. The Xbox One version will run at 720p and 60 fps while the PS4 version will run at 1080p and 60 fps.

PRODUCTS:METAL GEAR SOLID V: GROUND ZEROES

Does that really mean anything? I'm being honest here.. can you really tell a difference? I guess it matters on big TV's or something?

We have a 32" HDTV in our bedroom that is 720p and a 52" HDTV in the living room that is 1080p and both look amazing.. but I can't see much difference.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:29 PM   #1535
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

I am good friends with someone rather high up at a very well known video game developer. He showed me a snippet of what the next wave of games on the PS4 is going to look like, and it blows all of the shit you've seen so far out of the water.

Seriously. We haven't seen diddly poo yet.

Last edited by Sun Tzu : 02-17-2014 at 11:30 PM.
Sun Tzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 11:35 PM   #1536
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Does that really mean anything? I'm being honest here.. can you really tell a difference? I guess it matters on big TV's or something?

We have a 32" HDTV in our bedroom that is 720p and a 52" HDTV in the living room that is 1080p and both look amazing.. but I can't see much difference.

The TV is only half the battle. If content is being displayed in 720p or 1080i, it'll look the same on both the 32" and the 52". At 1080p, you're talking about a 50% increase in resolution because an extra 360 lines are being drawn with every pass.

Madden or FIFA, you aren't going to give a shit. Borderlands, Call of Duty, Fallout, games like that? The higher resolution means greater detail at distance, which means you can more easily see the things you need to shoot.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 11:35 PM   #1537
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu View Post
I am good friends with someone rather high up at a very well known video game developer. He showed me a snippet of what the next wave of games on the PS4 is going to look like, and it blows all of the shit you've seen so far out of the water.

"next wave of games" being what? like...stuff coming out this summer?
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 08:48 AM   #1538
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:

You can't tell the difference because of the size of the TVs. If your TVs were both 52" you would likely see a difference.

That said, I've never felt it really matters. I only own 720p TVs (a 32 and a 50) because from where I sit (like 10'+ away) I wouldn't perceive the difference anyways. If I had small rooms where I was sitting really close (3-4 feet) I'd be more likely to consider 1080p, at least on the larger set.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 09:49 AM   #1539
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

You're correct. On a 32", you likely won't see a difference. On the 52", it's a big difference between 720p and 1080p. Switch resolution on the bigger TV and try it for yourself.
Old 02-18-2014, 09:53 AM   #1540
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

dola

Just amazing to see this announcement over a month before April 1st and BEFORE the Japan launch. The kind of numbers that the PS4 is putting up is beyond Sony's wildest optimism. If you would have told them in November that they would eclipse their March 31st goal of 5M units sold nearly two months before their goal and before the launch in their home country, they would have told you to go f#$@ yourself. We're going to see some major sales projection changes coming from Sony in the coming year.

Sony announces PlayStation 4 sales rise to 5.3 million worldwide | Joystiq
Old 02-18-2014, 09:58 AM   #1541
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:

Having been playing video games last gen, I am even more sensitive between 720p and 1080p and can definitely notice a difference.

Playing pure 1080p games, I can also definitely notice a difference with upscaled 720p output.

The differences between 1080i and 1080p are even more pronounced for me (1080i tends to be more "blurry" in motion
Old 02-18-2014, 09:59 AM   #1542
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
dola

Just amazing to see this announcement over a month before April 1st and BEFORE the Japan launch. The kind of numbers that the PS4 is putting up is beyond Sony's wildest optimism. If you would have told them in November that they would eclipse their March 31st goal of 5M units sold nearly two months before their goal and before the launch in their home country, they would have told you to go f#$@ yourself. We're going to see some major sales projection changes coming from Sony in the coming year.

Sony announces PlayStation 4 sales rise to 5.3 million worldwide | Joystiq

Hello asian markets! *raises hand*

Microsoft hates Asian money.
Old 02-18-2014, 10:07 AM   #1543
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
Hello asian markets! *raises hand*

Microsoft hates Asian money.

I don't even think it's that. Sony and Nintendo are just entrenched over there as market leaders. MS didn't have a prayer over there.

MS was smart to just stay in Europe and NA. The problem is that they developed a console that hasn't appealed to mass market consumers in those areas either and is getting outsold by a pretty sizable margin by its main competitor.
Old 02-18-2014, 10:24 AM   #1544
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
"next wave of games" being what? like...stuff coming out this summer?

The Witcher 2 was probably the best looking games I have I've seen in terms of graphical fidelity so I'm really looking forward to what CD Projekt does does The Witcher 3 later this year. The screens I've seen so far look incredible but they are also likely at a level that would being my PC to a crawl.
Old 02-18-2014, 12:37 PM   #1545
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Wow. Pretty incredible stuff.

Old 02-19-2014, 03:12 PM   #1546
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu View Post

Don't know if this is what you're referring to, but Thuway has been alluding to a big game announcement.

Quote:
Ahsan Rasheed ‏@thuway Feb 18

The new projects for Sony's first party will slowly trickle out as the months go by. There is one BIG unannounced one that I can't get info.

I don't know when it will be announced, maybe next year or whenever, but there is something very impressive internally.

I've actually been working on finding more out for months, and nothing.

Oh and if you PM the usual suspects on GAF (the insiders) about this new exclusive they will just "" and not comment. Truly frustrating.

Whatever is happening behind the scenes, it's got people excited.

Ahsan Rasheed ‏@thuway 7h

Next Uncharted will have fidelity in gameplay that is comparable to cutscenes in The Last Of Us.
Old 02-19-2014, 05:22 PM   #1547
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
You're correct. On a 32", you likely won't see a difference. On the 52", it's a big difference between 720p and 1080p. Switch resolution on the bigger TV and try it for yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
Having been playing video games last gen, I am even more sensitive between 720p and 1080p and can definitely notice a difference.

Playing pure 1080p games, I can also definitely notice a difference with upscaled 720p output.

The differences between 1080i and 1080p are even more pronounced for me (1080i tends to be more "blurry" in motion

On a 50" screen the human eye can not discern the difference between 720 and 1080p at a distance greater than 4' an a 70" the distance is closer to 7'.

7' away from a 70" screen is going to strain your eyes over a long time I'd think.

This data is accurate for static or dynamic equal images...where there *could* be a difference is how the GPU processes and whether details are left out of blurred.

Last edited by CU Tiger : 02-19-2014 at 05:24 PM.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 05:27 PM   #1548
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
On a 50" screen the human eye can not discern the difference between 720 and 1080p at a distance greater than 4' an a 70" the distance is closer to 7'.

7' away from a 70" screen is going to strain your eyes over a long time I'd think.

This data is accurate for static or dynamic equal images...where there *could* be a difference is how the GPU processes and whether details are left out of blurred.

Then you also have to take into account upscaling, where everything is output at 1080p, even if the source is 720p or 900p. That makes the visual difference even less.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:49 PM   #1549
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post

Not sure where you're getting your information. The human eye can discern the difference between the two on a 32" up to 6 feet away. If you go up to a 50" TV, the distance is 10 feet. I know I have little trouble telling the difference on my 55" TV in my bedroom when playing games. With that said, this isn't the real problem here. This discussion continues to come up because the real problem is that the Xbox One is underpowered and overpriced. The rest of the conversation is just nitpicking to draw attention away from the real problem.

Regardless, here's the chart if anyone feels like discussing this side topic further.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 02-19-2014 at 09:49 PM.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:59 PM   #1550
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Out of curiosity, is that chart from a commercial site?