Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-22-2003, 05:28 PM   #1501
Karim
College Starter

Teppo will probably go back to Finland after the season along with many others. Strange move by Armstrong, but look at the aggressiveness of Columbus this offseason... Looks like they think they really need to make the playoffs this year.
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 05:48 PM   #1502
bbor
Pro Starter

After what Minny did this season Columbus is feeling the heat i would guess.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 05:51 PM   #1503
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by Karim
Montreal Canadiens

1961-62

All five games went into overtime

correct
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 05:54 PM   #1504
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Quebec?

yup

Quote:
Hasek?

nope

Quote:
Pete Peeters?

nope

Quote:
Mark Lamb?

yes

Quote:
The goal was definitely Kevin Lowe... the penalty, also Kevin Lowe?
Kevin Lowe is the correct answer for the goal, but not for the penalty.
Old 07-22-2003, 05:55 PM   #1505
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I didn't read that Hasek wasn't right. How about Bob Sauve?
yeah, good old Bobby Sauve.
Old 07-22-2003, 10:23 PM   #1506
Karim
College Starter

Quote:
2 points - Going a different way. I won 3 Stanley Cups with the New York Islanders before winning another with the 84-85 Edmonton Oilers after being claimed off waivers. Who am I?

Billy Carroll?

Quote:
3 points - On October 12, 1980, the Leafs’ Wilf Paiement scored the NHL’s 100,000th goal against the Philadelphia Flyers. Name the goaltender he scored against.

Rick St. Croix?

Quote:
2 points - Oiler shady player. JP who won 2 cups playing the left wing along Mark Messier and Glen Anderson.

Jaroslav Pouzar?

Quote:
2 points - Dave Semenko scored 6 goals during the 83-84 regular season. How many did he score playing on Gretzky and Kurri's line during the playoffs?

5?

Quote:
4 points - The Edmonton Oilers lost their first ever NHL game 4-2 to Chicago... who received their first penalty?

Lee Fogolin?
Old 07-22-2003, 11:06 PM   #1507
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Billy Carroll?

Correct
Quote:
Rick St. Croix?

No. I should have gave more points, this one is tricky.
Quote:
Jaroslav Pouzar?

Pouzar is the man.
Quote:
5?

correct.
Quote:
Lee Fogolin?

incorrect.
Old 07-22-2003, 11:21 PM   #1508
Karim
College Starter

Everyone remembers the first goal, but penalty? I guess that's why they call it trivia.
Old 07-22-2003, 11:27 PM   #1509
klayman
College Benchwarmer

It's significant because of the player. That probably gave it away.
Old 07-23-2003, 12:22 AM   #1510
bbor
Pro Starter

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3 points - On October 12, 1980, the Leafs’ Wilf Paiement scored the NHL’s 100,000th goal against the Philadelphia Flyers. Name the goaltender he scored against.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pelle Lindburgh?

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
Old 07-23-2003, 12:24 AM   #1511
bbor
Pro Starter

quote:
4 points - The Edmonton Oilers lost their first ever NHL game 4-2 to Chicago... who received their first penalty?

Dave Dryden?..Eddie Mio??

Whoever thier goalie was ?

Old 07-23-2003, 01:34 AM   #1512
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by bbor

Pelle Lindburgh?

No. It's a trick question.

Quote:

Dave Dryden?..Eddie Mio??

Whoever thier goalie was ?

No, wasn't a goalie. Let us say that this player has several other Oiler firsts and records. Now I know that gave it away
Old 07-23-2003, 04:01 PM   #1513
henry296
College Starter

Wayne Gretzky for the Oiler penalty.

Was the 10,000th goal scored against nobody into an empty net? Lemiuex scored his 600th that way.

Todd
Old 07-23-2003, 04:18 PM   #1514
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by henry296
Wayne Gretzky for the Oiler penalty.

Was the 10,000th goal scored against nobody into an empty net? Lemiuex scored his 600th that way.

Todd

correct on both counts
Old 07-24-2003, 01:19 PM   #1515
Karim
College Starter

Only 49 days until the start of training camp...
Old 07-24-2003, 01:25 PM   #1516
henry296
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by klayman
correct on both counts

Your hints really helped.

Todd
Old 07-24-2003, 01:30 PM   #1517
Karim
College Starter

Old 07-24-2003, 01:53 PM   #1518
bbor
Pro Starter

Old 07-24-2003, 03:01 PM   #1519
klayman
College Benchwarmer

lol
Old 07-24-2003, 04:06 PM   #1520
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Hey! It's Dallas Stars broadcaster Daryl Reaugh!!

Last edited by sachmo71 : 07-24-2003 at 04:06 PM.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 04:48 PM   #1521
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Daryl Reaugh used to be the color commentator for the Detroit Vipers as well.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 05:15 PM   #1522
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Karim, that's great! I gotta love the Mike Smith quote on there.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 10:35 AM   #1523
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Not that it's a shock to anyone, but Lucky Luc is a King...again.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/news/2003/0724/1585272.html
Old 07-25-2003, 10:38 AM   #1524
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by sachmo71
Not that it's a shock to anyone, but Lucky Luc is a King...again.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/news/2003/0724/1585272.html

Ick...he flat-out BLEW last year for the Wings, didn't show anything, and got all whiny when they sat him for a game. They can have him back.
Old 07-25-2003, 01:51 PM   #1525
bbor
Pro Starter

I'm actuallu surprised that he did'nt retire...i guees while someone is gonna throw $$ at you...why leave?

Old 07-25-2003, 04:06 PM   #1526
Karim
College Starter

Quote:
I'm actuallu surprised that he did'nt retire...i guees while someone is gonna throw $$ at you...why leave?

Messier has always been my favourite player but unfortunately, I think that's what has happend with him. His "leadership" qualities means he always got a job the past several years and when he's not injured can still be an effective player in a limited capacity. I figured he was trying to catch Gordie Howe's record by playing until 50 but with the work stoppage next year it would be best if he hung them up.
Old 07-25-2003, 08:31 PM   #1527
bbor
Pro Starter

Karim..as far as i know i don't think he has commited to playing this season yet.

Old 07-28-2003, 07:06 PM   #1528
Karim
College Starter

This thread fell to page three which just cannot happen...

~~~

Kneeling before God are three hockey players, Bobby Orr, Mario Lemieux, and Wayne Gretzky.

Orr is the first to approach the Lord:

God: Why should you be admitted to heaven Bobby?

Orr: God, I have made many charitable donations in my life, philanthropy is my middle name and I have given my all to the the game of hockey.

God: Very well, you may take a seat on my left.

Next up is Mario:

God: Why should you be admitted to heaven Mario?

Mario: Well Lord, along with my numerous donations of both time and money, I feel I have been a perfect role model and moral person. I have achieved the highest accolades possible for a hockey player and I have been a generous man throughout my life.

God: Very well, you may take a seat on my right Mario.

Finally Wayne Gretzky approaches...

God: Why should you be admitted ...

Wayne Gretzky interrupts the Lord and simply states:

Excuse me...but I think that you are sitting in my seat.

Last edited by Karim : 07-28-2003 at 07:07 PM.
Old 07-28-2003, 07:08 PM   #1529
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Here's an older one...

What will you do when Jesus comes?

Move Gretzky to the wing.
Old 07-28-2003, 09:37 PM   #1530
Karim
College Starter

LOL!
Old 07-28-2003, 10:29 PM   #1531
Travis
Pro Rookie

Heh, I heard the same joke (the sitting in my seat) with JSG, Brodeur and Roy, made more sense to me that way
Old 07-29-2003, 10:19 AM   #1532
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Steve Yzerman dies and goes to heaven.

When he gets there, St. Peter shows him to a very nice house on a lovely piece of property. Outside is a flag pole, from which flies a Red Wings banner and the number 19. "You've lived a good life, Stevie, and brought joy to millions," says St. Peter. "As a reward, this is your new home."

Yzerman wipes a tear from his eye and settles into his new house. After a while he decides to go for a walk. As he makes his way down the street, he sees other similar houses with flags flying. He sees a Bruins logo with a #4, an Oilers #99, a Penguins #66, and a Habs #10. He's overwhelmed by a sense of his place in history.

Then he turns a corner and sees a massive house, a mansion, with elaborate fountains and a gold-paved driveway. The property is surrounded by intricate gardens, and swans swim in crystal clear ponds. As he looks closer, he sees that everything is decorated with Maple Leaf logos. And hanging from a flagpole above it all is a massive Maple Leafs banner with the #17 on display.

Yzerman calls over St. Peter. "I don't mean to sound ungrateful," he says, "but I have to ask about this. I won several Stanley Cups, was a first ballot hall-of-famer, had well over 1,000 points. Yet my house is modest compared to this one."

"Of course it is," says St. Peter. "Why would you expect any different?"

"Well, I realize that Wendel Clark was a great player and was loved by Maple Leaf fans everywhere," says Yzerman, "but I really don't understand why he gets such an incredible mansion when other, more accomplished players have to make due with smaller homes. Why does Wendel Clark get such special treatment?"

St. Peter looks confused for a moment. Then he understands, and shakes his head.

"You've got it wrong, Stevie," he says. "That isn't Wendel's house. It's God's house."
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 11:02 AM   #1533
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally posted by Maple Leafs
Steve Yzerman dies and goes to heaven.

When he gets there, St. Peter shows him to a very nice house on a lovely piece of property. Outside is a flag pole, from which flies a Red Wings banner and the number 19. "You've lived a good life, Stevie, and brought joy to millions," says St. Peter. "As a reward, this is your new home."

Yzerman wipes a tear from his eye and settles into his new house. After a while he decides to go for a walk. As he makes his way down the street, he sees other similar houses with flags flying. He sees a Bruins logo with a #4, an Oilers #99, a Penguins #66, and a Habs #10. He's overwhelmed by a sense of his place in history.

Then he turns a corner and sees a massive house, a mansion, with elaborate fountains and a gold-paved driveway. The property is surrounded by intricate gardens, and swans swim in crystal clear ponds. As he looks closer, he sees that everything is decorated with Maple Leaf logos. And hanging from a flagpole above it all is a massive Maple Leafs banner with the #17 on display.

Yzerman calls over St. Peter. "I don't mean to sound ungrateful," he says, "but I have to ask about this. I won several Stanley Cups, was a first ballot hall-of-famer, had well over 1,000 points. Yet my house is modest compared to this one."

"Of course it is," says St. Peter. "Why would you expect any different?"

"Well, I realize that Wendel Clark was a great player and was loved by Maple Leaf fans everywhere," says Yzerman, "but I really don't understand why he gets such an incredible mansion when other, more accomplished players have to make due with smaller homes. Why does Wendel Clark get such special treatment?"

St. Peter looks confused for a moment. Then he understands, and shakes his head.

"You've got it wrong, Stevie," he says. "That isn't Wendel's house. It's God's house."

This is just wrong on so many levels...
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 11:03 AM   #1534
bbor
Pro Starter

AHAAHHA

Old 07-29-2003, 11:04 AM   #1535
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Well I guess its official, I am an atheist now
Old 07-29-2003, 11:06 AM   #1536
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

Someone has to bring home the bacon in the Robitaille household and I don't think it's going to be his wife, Stasia. So far I don't think she's been a big hit in the music industry.

Luc's a good guy. He struggled last year, was even benched for a game and got piss all for ice time but you never really heard him bitch or whine. He came to Detroit and won a Cup. Mission accomplished. I was proud to have Lucky Luc as a member of the Wings. It was cool. Not too mention that his best game was Game 7 of the 2002 Western Conference Finals. He really got the whole thing started against Roy. Had 2 goals and an assist (maybe 2) in that game.

Au reviour, Luc!
Old 07-29-2003, 11:21 AM   #1537
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I was back in Detroit last week which could be one explanation why this glorious thread fell to page 3 (Page 3?!?! Come on fellas, heads up!).

In the few days I was back home I got a good taste of the reaction to Fedorov's defection to the Mighty Ducks. You know what, it made me sick. I had forgotten just how angry the majority of Wings fans make me. It's why I can never watch a Wings game at a bar (or even with people I don't know that well) without, at some point during the game, being sent into a vein-popping type of silent rage. The pinnacle of all this was back around 1995 and 1996 when the majority of fans were screaming about how the Russians didn't care enough about the Stanley Cup (because they weren't born and raised to win it), so the Wings would never win with a team full of Russians and they should all be traded for Keith Tkachuk and Dave Manson, or similar type of hard-nosed, tough Canadian lads.

While in Detroit I heard the following:

1. He was all about the money. He just wanted more money. Uh, no. The Wings offered Fedorov more money than Anaheim. It had nothing to do with the money.

2. "We finally got ride of that Fedorov guy." Finally got rid of him? Got rid of him? What are you talking about? No one wanted to get rid of him. He led the team in play-off scoring almost every year. He's the most talented guy on the roster. The team is NOT better without Fedorov.

3. "If he had the heart of Malts (Kirk Maltby) and Drapes (Kris Draper), he'd be the best player in the world." Sergei had plenty of heart. Throughout his career the biggest knock on him was that he took shifts or games off and could be the greatst when he wanted to be, but he just didn't want to be. Yes, Sergei had flashes of brilliance and then seemed to disappear at times. I don't know if this had to do with "heart" or whatever. Maybe sometimes he just didn't feel it or get into the game for whatever reason. I think Sergei showed plenty of heart. It's just the same type of crap argument that fans use to knock superstars who they feel should be better or be the best at all times.

At the end of the day who knows why Sergei bolted. I think some of it had to do with wanting to be "the guy." I can't fault him for that. It's cool to be "the guy" and he never will be in Detroit with Yzerman around. Maybe he didn't get along with some of the other players on the team. Could happen.

The Wings will miss him horribly. Mainly they will miss his speed. The Wings are not a fast team and will certainly be even less without Fedorov. Yzerman, Shanahan, Hull, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, all talented players, but not burners. You remove Fedorov and add Hatcher all of a sudden your team is a LOT slower. It will be interesting to see who (if anyone) the Wings will get for Joseph. Very interesting. Latest rumors have the Wings interested in Robert Lang...
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 07-29-2003, 11:24 AM   #1538
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

And Ray Whitney. Yikes.
Old 07-29-2003, 12:13 PM   #1539
bbor
Pro Starter

Speaking of which..Dave Manson announced his retirement the other day( he was still playing???)

How could we all miss this monumental announcement??

Did Todd (giveaway) Gill retire yet?...or is he still kicking around?

Did youknow?? Pat Falloon is playing Senoir "A" Hockey...How the once mighty (in JR) have fallen.

Rick Vaive(!!!) also plays in this league.I wonder if he still does his patented skating down the right wing lets a slap shot go and slides into the corner head first.After watching him on one of our national sports networks here...i think he still does

Old 07-29-2003, 01:17 PM   #1540
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Speaking of which..Dave Manson announced his retirement the other day( he was still playing???)

How could we all miss this monumental announcement??

It doesn't surprise me, the guy can hardly talk over a whisper...

Quote:
Did youknow?? Pat Falloon is playing Senoir "A" Hockey...How the once mighty (in JR) have fallen.

I did actually know this. He tore up the senior league here in Manitoba like nobody's business. Rumor I heard is that he's a drunk. If true, that seems to be a proud Manitoba tradition for our elite hockey players (*cough* Theo *cough*)
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 01:27 PM   #1541
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Honolulu_Blue
He struggled last year, was even benched for a game and got piss all for ice time but you never really heard him bitch or whine.

Actually, Robataille did do quite a bit of bitching when he was benched. I seem to recall it was all over ESPN before that game.
Old 07-29-2003, 01:41 PM   #1542
bbor
Pro Starter

Sheldon Kennedy was a drunk too...but with good reason...was he not also from Manitoba?

Last edited by bbor : 07-29-2003 at 01:42 PM.
Old 07-29-2003, 02:03 PM   #1543
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally posted by ice4277
Actually, Robataille did do quite a bit of bitching when he was benched. I seem to recall it was all over ESPN before that game.

No he didn't. It made ESPN not because of anything Luc did, but merely because of the fact that it was the first time in his Hall of Fame career that he'd ever been a healthy scratch. That's a bit of an event when you're the highest scoring leftwing in the history of the sport. He certainly wasn't happy about it, but didn't say more than that really. That's to be expected. You wouldn't want a player who was happy being benched.
Old 07-29-2003, 02:07 PM   #1544
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Did Todd (giveaway) Gill retire yet?...or is he still kicking around?
Trivia question: Gill made an infamous giveaway against the Hawks that cost the Leafs a shot at the playoffs and which Leaf fans still hate him for. Who was playing right-wing on the Leafs line that was on the ice at the time?
Old 07-29-2003, 02:15 PM   #1545
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Maple Leafs
Trivia question: Gill made an infamous giveaway against the Hawks that cost the Leafs a shot at the playoffs and which Leaf fans still hate him for. Who was playing right-wing on the Leafs line that was on the ice at the time?

I hope you read this somewhere cause that's just crazy specific trivia.

I'll take a stab with Walt Podubny

Old 07-29-2003, 02:29 PM   #1546
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
I hope you read this somewhere cause that's just crazy specific trivia.

I'll take a stab with Walt Podubny
Nope. The answer is: Todd Gill. He was playing forward that game.

Which of course leads to the obvious question: where the hell was the defense on that play, and why does Gill take all the blame?

To this day I think he was a very good defenseman who got a bad rap based on one play that wasn't even his fault.
Old 07-29-2003, 02:35 PM   #1547
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Sheldon Kennedy was a drunk too...but with good reason...was he not also from Manitoba?

Ya, I think he was a 'Toban as well. And given Belfour's drunken police bribe incident it wouldn't surprise me to hear that he could join the list.

Hmm, and didn't that Arnason kid in Chicago grow up in Manitoba too? He was with Fleury and Housley at the bar in Columbus (allegedly).
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 02:46 PM   #1548
henry296
College Starter

What about Bryan Fogarty, was he from Manitoba?
Old 07-29-2003, 10:57 PM   #1549
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

The arms race continues...

Quote:

The Detroit Red Wings have made a move to help offset the loss of Sergei Fedorov, signing unrestricted free agent forward Ray Whitney to a four-year, $12.5-million contract.

Whitney scored 24 goals and 52 assists for a total of 76 points last season with the Columbus Blue Jackets. In 633 career NHL games, Whitney has scored 191 goals and 301 assists for 492 points.

His two full seasons in Columbus have been productive, with 45 goals and 137 points in 148 games to Whitney’s credit. The Blue Jackets, however, opted not to bring him back, signing unrestricted free agent Todd Marchant instead. Marchant signed for five years at $2.9 million per season.

Contract discussions between Whitney’s camp and the Blue Jackets were strained in the off-season. When Marchant’s signing was announced, Columbus general manager Doug MacLean made it clear that the money the team had budgeted for Whitney had been given to Marchant instead.

After a stellar junior career in Spokane that included a Memorial Cup title, Whitney was drafted by San Jose in the second round of the 1991 NHL entry draft. Whitney signed with Edmonton in October of 1997, but was waived a month later. He was claimed by the Panthers and blossomed in Florida, scoring 97 goals and 227 points in 273 games over three-and-a-half seasons.

The Panthers traded Whitney to Columbus as the March, 2001 trade deadline approached.

Old 07-29-2003, 11:14 PM   #1550
bbor
Pro Starter

76 points on a bad team where he got PP time and extra ice...i don't think he will come close to that in Detroit.Pencil him on the 3rd line for 45-50 points.