Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-27-2009, 02:42 PM   #1501
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

A Redskins blog asked Leonsis for his thoughts on building a team and he sent them these ten points. It's clear that the organization has stuck to the plan since Jagr was cast aside.

Quote:
What I have learned about a rebuild to date: A 10 point plan. A Washington Capitals perspective:

1. Ask yourself the big question: "Can this team--as constructed--ever win a championship?" If the answer is yes -- stay the course and try to find the right formula -- if the answer is no, then plan to rebuild. Don't fake it--really do the analytics and be brutally honest. Once you have your answer, develop the game plan to try to REALLY win a championship. Always run away from experts that say, "We are just one player away." Recognize there is no easy and fast systemic fix. It will be a bumpy ride--have confidence in the plan--"trust and verify: the progress -- but don't deviate from the plan."

2. Once you make the decision to rebuild--be transparent. Articulate the plan and sell it loudly and proudly to all constituencies, the media, the organization, the fans, your partners, family and anyone who will listen. Agree to what makes for a successful rebuild--in our case it is "a great young team with upside that can make the playoffs for a decade and win a Stanley Cup or two."

3. Once you decide to rebuild--bring the house down to the foundation--be consistent with your plan--and with your asks--we always sought to get "a pick and a prospect" in all of our trades. We believed that volume would yield better results than precision. We decided to trade multiple stars at their prime or peak to get a large volume of young players. Young players will get better as they age, so you have built in upside. Youngsters push vets to play better to keep their jobs, and they stay healthier, and they are more fun--less jaded by pro sports.

4. Commit to building around the draft. Invest in scouting, development, and a system. Articulate that system and stay with it so that all players feel comfortable-- know the language-- know what is expected of them-- read the Oriole Way*. It worked and it is a great tutorial. Draft players that fit the system, not the best player. Draft the best player for the system. Don't deviate or get seduced by agents, media demands, or by just stats or hype. Envision how this player will slide into your system.

5. Be patient with young players-- throw them in the pool to see if they can swim. Believe in them. Show them loyalty. Re-sign the best young players to long term high priced deals. Show the players you are very loyal to them as compared to free agents who achieved highly for another team. Teach them. Celebrate their successes. Use failures as a way to teach and improve. Coaches must be tough but kind to build confidence.

6. Make sure the GM, coach, owner and business folks are on the EXACT same page as to deliverables, metrics of success, ultimate goal, process and measured outcomes. Always meet to discuss analytics and don't be afraid of the truth that the numbers reveal. Manage to outcomes. Manage to let the GM and coach NOT be afraid of taking risks, and make sure there are no surprises. Over communicate. Act like an ethnic family--battle around the dinner table--never in public. Be tight as a team. Protect and enhance each other. Let the right people do their jobs.

7. No jerks allowed. Implement a no jerk policy. Draft and develop and keep high character people. Team chemistry is vital to success. Make sure the best and highest paid players are coachable, show respect to the system, want to be in the city, love to welcome new, young players to the team, have respect for the fan base, show joy in their occupation, get the system, believe in the coaches, have fun in practice, and want to be gym rats. Dump quickly distractions. Life is too short to drink bad wine.

8. Add veterans to the team via shorter term deals as free agents. Signing long-term, expensive deals for vets is very risky. We try to add vets to the mix for two year or three year deals. They fill in around our young core. They are very important for leadership, but they must complement the young core (NOT try to overtake them or be paid more than them). Identify and protect the core. Add veterans to complement them, not visa versa.

9. Measure and improve. Have shared metrics--know what the progress is--and where it ranks on the timeline-- be honest in all appraisals; don't be afraid to trade young assets for other draft picks to build back end backlog-- know the aging of contracts-- protect "optionality" to make trades at deadlines or in off season; never get in cap jail. Having dry powder is very important to make needed moves.

10. Never settle--never rest--keep on improving. Around the edges to the plan, have monthly, quarterly and annual check ups. Refresh the plan when needed but for the right reasons-- "how are we doing against our metrics of success and where are we on our path to a championship." Never listen to bloggers, media, so called experts--to thine own self be true. Enjoy the ride.
Old 02-27-2009, 02:59 PM   #1502
Pyser
Pro Rookie

everyone else reads this as absolute lunacy, too....right??

If you believe what you hear from various NHL sources, you can bet the Bruins had many sets of eyes trained last night on Anaheim Ducks defenseman Chris Pronger. And the Ducks were sizing up talent on the Bruins side, as well. It's believed the Ducks will deal away the multi-talented 34-year-old Pronger, and that the Bruins could be interested shoppers. That was certainly a hot topic at the Garden last night, site of the B's 6-0 victory. The obvious speculation is that the B's end of the deal would be young speedster Phil Kessel, their top goalscorer and one of the most dynamic offensive threats in the game.

Boston Herald
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 03:00 PM   #1503
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Please do it Boston!
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 03:08 PM   #1504
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Chara + Pronger would be a pretty amazing 1-2 punch on the blueline...
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 03:11 PM   #1505
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
Chara + Pronger would be a pretty amazing 1-2 punch on the blueline...

I had the same thought. If you're looking to win it this year, I think you might make that trade. I don't know much about Boston's depth up front.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 03:24 PM   #1506
samifan24
Pro Starter

I really hope the Bruins don't deal Kessel for a year and a playoffs of Pronger.
Old 02-27-2009, 03:31 PM   #1507
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Pronger + Chara is great, but this deal would be awful for Boston, and honestly doesn't put them ahead of SJ or Detroit imo.

Are you really going to go into the playoffs relying on Ryder, Krejci, Wheeler and Kobasew as your goal scorers?

Obviously Sarvard is a great playmaker, but Kessel is a guy who is dynamic and can turn a game around in an instant. None of those guys are. I think without Kessel teams will just key in even more on Savard and that in turn is going to kill a lot of those guys above.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 03:39 PM   #1508
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Are you really going to go into the playoffs relying on Ryder, Krejci, Wheeler and Kobasew as your goal scorers?

I think the Bruins will add at least one veteran forward, maybe Erik Cole or someone like Slava Kozlov. All those guys can score but you need more for the playoffs. Krejci is more of a setup man, too.
Old 02-27-2009, 05:27 PM   #1509
bhlloy
Coordinator

If we turn Kunitz and Pronger into Kessel and Whitney, I'd be ecstatic. That's a pretty clear upgrade in terms of age, salary and manageable contract across the board.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 08:41 PM   #1510
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
everyone else reads this as absolute lunacy, too....right??

If you believe what you hear from various NHL sources, you can bet the Bruins had many sets of eyes trained last night on Anaheim Ducks defenseman Chris Pronger. And the Ducks were sizing up talent on the Bruins side, as well. It's believed the Ducks will deal away the multi-talented 34-year-old Pronger, and that the Bruins could be interested shoppers. That was certainly a hot topic at the Garden last night, site of the B's 6-0 victory. The obvious speculation is that the B's end of the deal would be young speedster Phil Kessel, their top goalscorer and one of the most dynamic offensive threats in the game.

Boston Herald

As a Ducks fan, I would likely approve of that deal. Only question is whether the Ducks should get more, based on what they gave up in getting Pronger, but then Pronger is also older than he was.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 09:05 PM   #1511
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
As a Ducks fan, I would likely approve of that deal. Only question is whether the Ducks should get more, based on what they gave up in getting Pronger, but then Pronger is also older than he was.

I think you should be happy with just Kessel.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:17 PM   #1512
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
I think you should be happy with just Kessel.

Can't a fan be greedy? We'll take Wheeler, too.

Seriously, though, I am still more than a little annoyed at the Ducks losing Tangredi in the Whitney deal. Just dumb. No reason to include a top six talent in that deal. So I am looking for whatever we can get (and obviously, Kessel would be a fantastic get by any standard).

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:25 PM   #1513
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Bruins writer James Murphy thinks the Ducks want much more than Kessel.

Quote:
Bruins forward Phil Kessel is apparently the coveted centerpiece of a return from Boston if they were to acquire Pronger. There would also be a top prospect, and first or second round pick in this June’s NHL Entry Draft.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:39 PM   #1514
Pyser
Pro Rookie

and i thought the trade would be ludicrous straight up. jeez.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:42 PM   #1515
Logan
Head Coach

Yeah what the hell is going on with this potential return?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 09:45 PM   #1516
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Bruins writer James Murphy thinks the Ducks want much more than Kessel.

Well, apparently I am not off my rocker at least for thinking that more might be needed, or at least in at least one team's estimation.

Old 02-27-2009, 09:49 PM   #1517
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
and i thought the trade would be ludicrous straight up. jeez.

ditto
Old 02-27-2009, 10:14 PM   #1518
samifan24
Pro Starter

No way the Bruins trade Kessel for Pronger. No way.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:35 PM   #1519
Logan
Head Coach

It reminds me of when the rumor came out prior to the MLB trade deadline a few years back where the Mets were seriously considering trading Kazmir for Victor Zambrano. It made no sense to any of us so we blew it off...and then it got done.

It's almost the same...except Pronger is actually good.

Yes, 4 years and I'm still pissed.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 10:40 PM   #1520
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

It could be worse, you could have picked Chris Gruler instead of Kazmir.

Yeah, almost seven years and I'm still bitter. At least picking Lincecum instead of Drew Stubbs makes it better.

Oh, wait...
Old 02-27-2009, 11:43 PM   #1521
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I think people are forgetting how good Pronger is, and how much of an impact he makes on the game. Yes, he's 34, but his game isn't built on speed or quickness, so he should age pretty well.

Any team that can consider having either Chara or Pronger on the ice for every minute of every playoff game should consider trying to put something together. Is it worth Kessel? I don't think it's that outlandish. Now, Kessel plus a bunch of other stuff? That gets a little harder to swallow.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 09:02 AM   #1522
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
I think people are forgetting how good Pronger is, and how much of an impact he makes on the game. Yes, he's 34, but his game isn't built on speed or quickness, so he should age pretty well.

Any team that can consider having either Chara or Pronger on the ice for every minute of every playoff game should consider trying to put something together. Is it worth Kessel? I don't think it's that outlandish. Now, Kessel plus a bunch of other stuff? That gets a little harder to swallow.

I haven't seen a ton of Pronger to judge him, but I've seen a lot of Kessel here with the B's, and I truly believe the B's front office are not as enamored with him as a lot of fans are. Sure he provides a unique offensive spark that not many other B's do, but it's HARDLY consistent. And I love the kid, I'm just trying to put out there why the front office would be willing to part with him. Plus, despite what someone else said, they do have some good young depth at the forward spot with Krejci, Lucic, Bergergon (Concussions aside), Wheeler, Sobatka, Bitz...that I think upgrading the blueline is really the primary concern heading for the playoffs.

But, I see it like Fidatelo does, if your talking Kessel and something like a 2nd...I can see it. If you start adding any one of those forwards I listed or a 1st then it may be time to hang up.

Last edited by Sublime 2 : 02-28-2009 at 09:03 AM.
Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 11:19 AM   #1523
bhlloy
Coordinator

Pronger when motivated is an absolute beast. One of the more skilled defensemen in the game despite his size and when he wants to play physical, he's absolutely dominant. Problem is he hasn't really done that in Anaheim since the cup. That's why I would be pretty happy with Kessel in return.

Will he be motivated in Boston? At least for the playoff run I think so, and Chara and Pronger on seperate pairings (or together in crunch time) is a crazy proposition. Right now as good as the B's have been in the regular season, they clearly aren't a postseason team (young, not great depth on defense, not going to shutdown many teams). I think this is (or something like it) is a must for Boston if they want to seriously look at getting past Detroit or SJ in the finals.
Old 02-28-2009, 11:21 AM   #1524
bbor
Pro Starter

If i was a forward on the ice and i look up to see Pronger and Chara on the ice at the same time.....i am making my way to the bench

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 11:30 AM   #1525
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Right now as good as the B's have been in the regular season, they clearly aren't a postseason team (young, not great depth on defense, not going to shutdown many teams). I think this is (or something like it) is a must for Boston if they want to seriously look at getting past Detroit or SJ in the finals.

I agree that the Bruins have work to do and need to make improvements to the roster by Wednesday's deadline but to say that the Boston Bruins aren't a postseason team in terms of quality this season is a severe underestimation of the team's talent.
Old 02-28-2009, 11:32 AM   #1526
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Will he be motivated in Boston?

they do have some attractive reporters...
Old 02-28-2009, 11:38 AM   #1527
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
I agree that the Bruins have work to do and need to make improvements to the roster by Wednesday's deadline but to say that the Boston Bruins aren't a postseason team in terms of quality this season is a severe underestimation of the team's talent.

There is a huge difference in postseason and regular season hockey. I don't see the B's winning the Cup the way they are currently made up. In fact, with Brodeur back I doubt they even get past the Devils in the East. They need to add another defenseman and a veteran defensive minded forward (maybe two) at the very least.

FWIW I think the Capitals are going to have the same problem.
Old 02-28-2009, 11:54 AM   #1528
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
There is a huge difference in postseason and regular season hockey. I don't see the B's winning the Cup the way they are currently made up. In fact, with Brodeur back I doubt they even get past the Devils in the East. They need to add another defenseman and a veteran defensive minded forward (maybe two) at the very least.

FWIW I think the Capitals are going to have the same problem.

We agree on the difference between the regular season and the postseason. I just don't see how any NHL fan looks at the way the Bruins have played this season, with the current roster, and says that the current roster is not playoff quality. Do they need to make improvements? Sure, everyone does. Are they playing playoff quality hockey now? Yes and they have for most of the season.
Old 02-28-2009, 02:43 PM   #1529
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

some non-Kessel rumors floating around as well:

Trade Deadline Update w/ James Murphy: B's and Ducks "apparently agreed in principle" to Pronger*deal - Stanley Cup of Chowder
Old 02-28-2009, 02:59 PM   #1530
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
We agree on the difference between the regular season and the postseason. I just don't see how any NHL fan looks at the way the Bruins have played this season, with the current roster, and says that the current roster is not playoff quality. Do they need to make improvements? Sure, everyone does. Are they playing playoff quality hockey now? Yes and they have for most of the season.

Heh, come on dude, you know what he's talking about, quit being obtuse on purpose. He's not saying the Bruins aren't a playoff quality team. They have some extremely good talent, and entirely deserve where they are in the East, and have the talent to improve even more.

But the roster makeup is not currently conducive to a long run in the playoffs. And not because of talent or ability, which they have in droves, but the type of ability they have. They are an exciting, young team with lots of offensive talent, some depth issues on defense, and gritty and tough aren't the first words used to describe them (although I don't think they are much below average in that respect). In the playoffs, the teams with great bluelines, playoff-tested goaltending, tons of experience, and tough, two-way forwards are the teams that tend to have success in the brand of hockey played in the second season. You could argue the Bruins lack all of that (although Thomas has been flat amazing).

That's what bhlloy is saying. The Bruins don't need an injection of more talent to be "playoff quality". They need an injection of defense and toughness and experience.

Old 02-28-2009, 03:06 PM   #1531
DeToxRox
Head Coach

If that deal is done, Boston fleeced Anaheim.

I have a very hard time believing Anaheim couldn't have gotten more from another team out there, like the Caps.

That first will be high, and Anaheim doesn't get any immediate help (especially dealing Kuny and their best prospect)

Just don't get it.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 04:00 PM   #1532
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
If that deal is done, Boston fleeced Anaheim.

I have a very hard time believing Anaheim couldn't have gotten more from another team out there, like the Caps.

That first will be high, and Anaheim doesn't get any immediate help (especially dealing Kuny and their best prospect)

Just don't get it.

I think the unnamed roster player is going to have to be a young, top six forward.
Old 02-28-2009, 05:08 PM   #1533
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I think the unnamed roster player is going to have to be a young, top six forward.

Agree. If that unnamed roster player is not Krejci, terrible for Anaheim.

Only other possible answer is Bergeron, but too many health questions as well as salary situation (samifan, correct me if wrong, but PB is at like $5M while Krejci will be an RFA coming off his rookie deal).
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 08:14 PM   #1534
bhlloy
Coordinator

I have pretty much zero faith in Murray's ability to get anything good in return. I hope it's not Bergeron even more if his salary is 5 mil but I bet it is. I would love Lucic, Kessel or Krejci in return but I just don't think we have a good enough GM to hold out for the right deal.

Anyone catch the end of the Stars/Ducks game today? I absolutely LOVE Giguere sticking up for Niedermayer when Ott was trying to cheap shot after the horn and then Moen coming in and beating the crap out of him. Shows me maybe the players haven't given up on this season yet and it's the way we were playing during the Stanley Cup run. Obviously the team isn't going anywhere but it's nice to see they still care... Plus Ott is a bitch, it's nice to see him bleeding when he was the one trying to hurt the Ducks star player.
Old 02-28-2009, 09:33 PM   #1535
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Heh, come on dude, you know what he's talking about, quit being obtuse on purpose. He's not saying the Bruins aren't a playoff quality team. They have some extremely good talent, and entirely deserve where they are in the East, and have the talent to improve even more.

But the roster makeup is not currently conducive to a long run in the playoffs. And not because of talent or ability, which they have in droves, but the type of ability they have.

We're talking about the same thing. It's not being "obtuse on purpose." I said all along that I agree that the Bruins need to make some changes to the roster. I just didn't see how he could say what he said. With some clarification, his point was the same as mine but he worded it differently.

Last edited by samifan24 : 02-28-2009 at 09:36 PM.
samifan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 05:10 AM   #1536
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
We're talking about the same thing. It's not being "obtuse on purpose." I said all along that I agree that the Bruins need to make some changes to the roster. I just didn't see how he could say what he said. With some clarification, his point was the same as mine but he worded it differently.

What he said was exactly what I said in the post you quoted. That the Bruins as currently made up are not built the way a successful NHL playoff team is traditionally built.

You called what he said a "severe underestimation" of their talent. Clearly there is a disconnect there, because he wasn't talking about their talent, and it was plain as day to me. It seemed to me you were the one who didn't get it.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 03-01-2009 at 06:14 AM.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:21 AM   #1537
samifan24
Pro Starter

TSN is reporting that Bill Guerin will be traded to an Eastern Conference team this morning after he was pulled from the Isles' pre-game skate last night. TSN's source also says that team is not Boston.
Old 03-01-2009, 09:02 AM   #1538
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

http://www.star-telegram.com/stars/story/1231596.html

Quote:
Avery on waivers
The Stars will place Sean Avery on recall waivers Monday with the hope that a team will pick him up, co-GM Les Jackson said Saturday.
Avery, who was suspended for six games by the NHL in December and sent home by the Stars, has been playing for Hartford in the AHL. Hartford is the affiliate of the New York Rangers, and it is believed the Rangers will claim Avery.
The Stars signed Avery as a free agent for four years and $15.5 million in the summer. If a team picks up Avery on recall waivers, the Stars will split the cost of the contract and the salary cap hit.
The Stars need to make the move before the March 4 trade deadline.
Old 03-01-2009, 09:17 AM   #1539
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
TSN is reporting that Bill Guerin will be traded to an Eastern Conference team this morning after he was pulled from the Isles' pre-game skate last night. TSN's source also says that team is not Boston.

A source close to Guerin, who recently agreed to waive his no-trade clause for a deal sending him to an Eastern Conference playoff contender, said the Islanders had a deal in place that awaited only his approval. The source called his no-show a "precautionary scratch" and indicated he will make his decision this morning. Another source with ties to Guerin indicated only that the team is not Boston or the Devils.

Among the remaining contenders, Carolina and Buffalo have plenty of cap room to accommodate the remaining $1.025 million on Guerin's salary, and Montreal is in that approximate ballpark, as are the Rangers. An Islanders spokesman said the team will issue a statement today.

Guerin expected to be traded to contender today -- Newsday.com
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 12:15 PM   #1540
samifan24
Pro Starter

In his column yesterday, ESPN's Pierre LeBrun reports that the Bruins are "no longer in the running" for Pronger but adds that the Blues may pursue their former blueliner. LeBrun adds that Boston "had their sights set on another blueliner" and speculates that player could be Derek Morris or Tomas Kaberle.

LeBrun also reports that Alexei Yashin would like to return to the NHL next season. It's worth noting that Yashin will receive $2.2 million annually for the next six years as part of his buyout deal from the Islanders.
Old 03-01-2009, 06:38 PM   #1541
bhlloy
Coordinator

Turns out Ott is suspended indefinitely for eye gouging which is what the intent to injure penalty was for. Didn't see that on the video. He's also bitching about being jumped when he has a broken hand - funny that his hand wasn't hurting when he was crosschecking Niedermayer in the back after the final horn. You reap what you sow.

Guys like Ott should get down on their knees and thank Bettman for the instigator penalty. He wouldn't have survived 10 minutes in the 80's.
Old 03-01-2009, 06:41 PM   #1542
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Guys like Ott should get down on their knees and thank Bettman for the instigator penalty. He wouldn't have survived 10 minutes in the 80's.

Guys like Ott have no place in the league. And you can add Steve Downie to that list after he slashed an AHL official in a game over the weekend.

Last edited by samifan24 : 03-01-2009 at 06:48 PM.
samifan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 07:36 PM   #1543
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Pronger might be going to the Flyers for Lupul, Carle, and a pick.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:38 PM   #1544
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

NESN and the Boston Globe now reporting the Bruins have offered Colborne, a 1st and a 3rd for Kaberle.

http://community.nesn.com/blogs/nhl_...1/3711275.aspx

Last edited by Maple Leafs : 03-01-2009 at 08:39 PM.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 08:49 PM   #1545
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
Pronger might be going to the Flyers for Lupul, Carle, and a pick.

Does that work cap-wise? Pronger is over $6M. Carle is $3.4M, and Lupul is around $2M I thought-- only next year does his salary jump up over $4M.
Old 03-01-2009, 09:25 PM   #1546
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
NESN and the Boston Globe now reporting the Bruins have offered Colborne, a 1st and a 3rd for Kaberle.

NHL Lowdown - NESN.com : Bruins make monster offer for Kaberle

I like Kaberle but man that's a steep price. I wonder what it would take to get Derek Morris.
Old 03-01-2009, 10:11 PM   #1547
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
I like Kaberle but man that's a steep price. I wonder what it would take to get Derek Morris.
My guess would be a lot less since, you know, he's bad.

He does come $300K cheaper than Kaberle, though, so that's something.
Old 03-01-2009, 10:21 PM   #1548
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
My guess would be a lot less since, you know, he's bad.

He does come $300K cheaper than Kaberle, though, so that's something.

I wasn't really comparing Morris to the four time All-Star Kaberle. The good news is that the team that acquires Kaberle has him for two more years, too.
Old 03-01-2009, 10:43 PM   #1549
Pyser
Pro Rookie

2 shutouts in 3 games back for brodeur. thats 4 on the season, in only 13 games

and hes well rested for the stretch run.

ping: pumpy. you watching this?? i have a serious man-crush on parise at this point

Last edited by Pyser : 03-01-2009 at 10:43 PM.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:04 AM   #1550
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
2 shutouts in 3 games back for brodeur. thats 4 on the season, in only 13 games

and hes well rested for the stretch run.

ping: pumpy. you watching this?? i have a serious man-crush on parise at this point
Yep, I watched the game today against the Flyers. Just total domination from start to finish. Parise is the kind of player the Devils haven't had since ... well, ever, I guess.

I just wonder how Brodeur will look when somebody actually tests him. Colorado, Florida, and Philly didn't really make him work. I'm sure somebody will, and then we'll see. With the way the team is playing right now, though, I'm not worried one bit.