Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Werewolf Games
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-12-2007, 09:39 AM   #1501
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Barkeep, I assume for the question which movie will win best picture, its for the 2007 academy awards...

If so, the list of nominees are:

Babel
The departed
Letters from Iwo Jima
Little Miss sunshine
The Queen.

Now, we also have to take into account since this is asking random teachers, they could also have named a film not even nominated
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 09:41 AM   #1502
SnDvls
Pro Starter

6:30 or 6 for the wake up...my wife is a teacher

I agree on pizza...#2 is Mac & cheese for me
SnDvls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 09:41 AM   #1503
Passacaglia
Coordinator

I don't think the viewpoint of a teacher really makes much difference for movies -- although, I haven't seen any of the nominated movies, and a couple of them I've never even heard of. My inclination is that a teacher is more likely to think of Little Miss Sunshine, but I really have no idea.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 09:41 AM   #1504
Passacaglia
Coordinator

I wonder if "I don't know" is a possible answer?
Old 02-12-2007, 09:42 AM   #1505
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

A couple of things:

First thing in the morning I looked in both Oz and Howard temp threads. The Oz thread had BKs post and one other post from someone (cant recall who) asking why they didn't update the thread and asking IMT why he didn't as he was around. In the Howard thread there were no other posts than BKs.

I have no problem staying out of the Oz temp thread. At first I did not see a reason too, but the theory on them being able to discuss the night scans is good. So, I'm in on that.

As for alliances, I say we ally with Oz and target Howard first to get rid of the wolf their and Lupus second. That is barring any other things that happen between now and merge.

Last, AlanT why are you telling us what the challenge is instead of BK? Does it have something to do with your volunteering?
Grammaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 09:44 AM   #1506
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grammaticus View Post
A couple of things:

First thing in the morning I looked in both Oz and Howard temp threads. The Oz thread had BKs post and one other post from someone (cant recall who) asking why they didn't update the thread and asking IMT why he didn't as he was around. In the Howard thread there were no other posts than BKs.

I have no problem staying out of the Oz temp thread. At first I did not see a reason too, but the theory on them being able to discuss the night scans is good. So, I'm in on that.

As for alliances, I say we ally with Oz and target Howard first to get rid of the wolf their and Lupus second. That is barring any other things that happen between now and merge.

Last, AlanT why are you telling us what the challenge is instead of BK? Does it have something to do with your volunteering?

BK posted the challenge in the main thread, I just posted it here to start discussion. I wouldn't read much into it other than my trying to keep us rolling to keep our team going.
Old 02-12-2007, 09:45 AM   #1507
SnDvls
Pro Starter

I would guess book #6 for HP being it's the latest one and most remembered
Old 02-12-2007, 09:46 AM   #1508
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Dola, as for the howard first, lupus second thing.. I think it should be the other way around.

Right now we know 100% that there is 1 wolf in Lupus.

In Howard, they have 3 players still: Path, Jonathan and Marathoner. Ntndeacon was voted off, and we do not know if ntndeacon was the wolf or not. There was a 25% chance that ntn was their wolf, so only 75% chance that one of the three remaining howard members are a wolf.

My preference right now would be for Lupus to go first since we know for sure there is still a wolf there.
Old 02-12-2007, 09:47 AM   #1509
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
I don't think the viewpoint of a teacher really makes much difference for movies -- although, I haven't seen any of the nominated movies, and a couple of them I've never even heard of. My inclination is that a teacher is more likely to think of Little Miss Sunshine, but I really have no idea.

Well it really depends on who the people surveyed are. Evidentally, although I have never seen it ... the Queen is an excellent movie that is well thought of by academic types. Also my girl won't stop talking about Babel, but she is hispanic, so that might be why

The only one on that list i have seen is little miss sunshine
Old 02-12-2007, 09:48 AM   #1510
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Hmm one thing about the wakeups, it was a mix sampling between teachers and other patrons. I think teachers might tend to wake up a bit earlier than some other jobs, but I still think 6:30 is a solid answer there.
Old 02-12-2007, 09:49 AM   #1511
SnDvls
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post

The only one on that list i have seen is little miss sunshine

ditto

as has my wife and her teacher friends...they actually suggested it to us
Old 02-12-2007, 09:53 AM   #1512
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Hmm one thing about the wakeups, it was a mix sampling between teachers and other patrons. I think teachers might tend to wake up a bit earlier than some other jobs, but I still think 6:30 is a solid answer there.

Yeah -- it may not be the average answer, but it's probably the mode.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:00 AM   #1513
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

hey guys, getting caught up.

Poker Player- Phil Ivey, pretty much a no brainer with that one he is widely regarded the best player in the world.

Harry Potter- I am a HUGE Harry Potter fan. Book 3 The Prisoner of Azkaban is most peoples faviorate one.

Food- I will go with pizza if you want but I have worked for TGI Fridays for 11years and I can say without a doubt chicken fingers are a run away favoriate here.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 10:00 AM   #1514
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Do they have pizza at TGI Fridays?
Old 02-12-2007, 10:03 AM   #1515
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I think 6:30 is a solid answer.

I think we can throw the departed out for the movie catergory, to violent for most teachers. Letters from Iwo Jima may not be a great choice either. I think alot of them probably didn't see The Queen. My vote is Babel based on Brad Pitt and my asumption most teachers are women and may have some bias
Old 02-12-2007, 10:03 AM   #1516
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
Do they have pizza at TGI Fridays?

yes
Old 02-12-2007, 10:03 AM   #1517
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
hey guys, getting caught up.

Poker Player- Phil Ivey, pretty much a no brainer with that one he is widely regarded the best player in the world.

Harry Potter- I am a HUGE Harry Potter fan. Book 3 The Prisoner of Azkaban is most peoples faviorate one.

Food- I will go with pizza if you want but I have worked for TGI Fridays for 11years and I can say without a doubt chicken fingers are a run away favoriate here.

THanks for the poker player/harry potter ones.. both were entries I had no clue on.

As for the food, I thought about both chicken fingers and mac & cheese.. but maybe its just my experience with kids, but both of those are younger kid food. As kids got older, they always seemed to prefer pizza over chicken fingers.

I'm ok with going with either, but I would think pizza is more likely. We could take a gamble and say chicken fingers, assuming other teams might say pizza with the hope to beat them in a risky category.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:03 AM   #1518
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

plus have a niece in second grade who I spend alot of time with. She would eat chicken fingers every day.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:05 AM   #1519
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I'm not in love with chicken fingers, just throwing it out there.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:05 AM   #1520
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

lol, I was about to say.. "let me just IM my girlfriend and ask her since she is a teacher.. but then I remembered one of the earlier rules.. we can look stuff up online but can't go to someone who has inside knowledge... I guess that I would violate a rule if I asked her .. ahh well
Old 02-12-2007, 10:07 AM   #1521
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm not in love with chicken fingers, just throwing it out there.

No its good, I bet both answers are on the board, just not sure where for either of them.

As for movies, I agree with you.. its probably either Babel or Little miss sunshine.. I just am trying to be careful about babel because thats the one my girlfriend talked about a ton, but she is hispanic, so that might be why. We watched little miss sunshine together and both liked it alot.

I guess the question is which movie is the one most people will assume will win it if asked?
Old 02-12-2007, 10:07 AM   #1522
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

dola- I think the Harry Potter one will be pretty evenly spread out. It would help to know the age distribution of the people asked that question
Old 02-12-2007, 10:07 AM   #1523
SnDvls
Pro Starter

Ivey is the bald black guy right? isn't there another Phil? Helmuth or something? your guess is better than mine

I can see chicken fingers or chicken nuggets my 2 year old eats the nuggest all the time, but I think pizza is more popular for the older kid crowd.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:09 AM   #1524
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

This is what I have as our various answers so far:

30 library patrons in the Youth Services section of a library were asked: Which is the best Harry Potter book? (6 answers)

#3 - Prizoner of Azkaban

40 fourth graders were asked: What is your favorite food? (5 answers)

Pizza, Chicken nuggets, Mac & Cheese

20 teachers were asked: Which movie will win best picture? (5 answers)

Little Miss sunshine, Babel

20 poker players were asked: Who is the best poker player? (4 answers)

Phil Ivey

30 adults (combination of library patrons and teachers) were asked: What time do you get up in the morning (to the nearest half hour)? (6 answers)

6:30, 6:00
Old 02-12-2007, 10:09 AM   #1525
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Sorry, that should be chicken fingers, not nuggets.. (I wonder if there is a difference between the two)
Old 02-12-2007, 10:10 AM   #1526
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnDvls View Post
Ivey is the bald black guy right? isn't there another Phil? Helmuth or something? your guess is better than mine

I can see chicken fingers or chicken nuggets my 2 year old eats the nuggest all the time, but I think pizza is more popular for the older kid crowd.

yes, Ivey looks like Tiger Woods. Phil Hellmuth is the other one. Ivey is 100% without a doubt regarded as the best player in the world. I'll budge on the other ones but you have to go with me on this one.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:12 AM   #1527
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Do we want to do another game like with the bidding one?

Where we collect ideas until say 2pm or so.. then at 3pm we all submit a list with our choices, and the one who wins we go with?

To limit what if any influences the wolf might have on rigging our answers (if they even would want to)?
Old 02-12-2007, 10:12 AM   #1528
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Sorry, that should be chicken fingers, not nuggets.. (I wonder if there is a difference between the two)

I was wondering that also.

I think we can toss out mac and cheese
Old 02-12-2007, 10:12 AM   #1529
SnDvls
Pro Starter

Quote:
yes, Ivey looks like Tiger Woods. Phil Hellmuth is the other one. Ivey is 100% without a doubt regarded as the best player in the world. I'll budge on the other ones but you have to go with me on this one.

I trust you I only know the poker players in passing and both names make me go "ahh" but not someone I'd know off the top of my head as the one...the other guy that makes me go "ahh" is the Chan guy...Johnny?

I'd say go w/ Ivey too if that's what you know I have no knowledge on it.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:15 AM   #1530
Passacaglia
Coordinator

I still think pizza. I think chicken fingers might be the kind of thing they're more likely to order, but when asked about it in a school or library, I bet their first thought is pizza.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:26 AM   #1531
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I'm fine with pizza
Old 02-12-2007, 10:33 AM   #1532
SnDvls
Pro Starter

I agree w/ Pizza
Old 02-12-2007, 10:34 AM   #1533
SnDvls
Pro Starter

Quote:
This is what I have as our various answers so far:

30 library patrons in the Youth Services section of a library were asked: Which is the best Harry Potter book? (6 answers)

#3 - Prizoner of Azkaban

40 fourth graders were asked: What is your favorite food? (5 answers)

Pizza, Chicken nuggets, Mac & Cheese

20 teachers were asked: Which movie will win best picture? (5 answers)

Little Miss sunshine, Babel

20 poker players were asked: Who is the best poker player? (4 answers)

Phil Ivey

30 adults (combination of library patrons and teachers) were asked: What time do you get up in the morning (to the nearest half hour)? (6 answers)

6:30, 6:00

no idea on HP so #3 is fine w/ me
pizza
Little Miss Sun.
Ivey
6:30
Old 02-12-2007, 10:34 AM   #1534
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

I think the answer to the best poker player will be "me". Most people can't name a professional poker player.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:37 AM   #1535
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

He didn't ask 20 people, he asked 20 poker players.

Thanks to my FOFC Hattrick supporters - Blackout, Brillig, kingfc22, RPI-fan, Rich1033, antbacker, One_to7, ur_land, KevinNU7, and TonyR (PM me if you support me and I've missed you)
Mr. Wednesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 10:39 AM   #1536
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnDvls View Post
no idea on HP so #3 is fine w/ me
pizza
Little Miss Sun.
Ivey
6:30

So this looks like the main consensus right now..

THe only one I'm undecided on is the movie.. I still think Babel is possibly the one that alot of people will say.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:39 AM   #1537
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

Below is the rule about outside sources. Why can't we ask our teacher wives?

1. You may use external sources, people, programs, and other information sources to assist you, as long as they do not provide you with insider information that the other players aren't privy to. For example, if I were to have a trivia challenge, you could consult either Wikipedia or your smarty-pants friend who was on Jeopardy! for the answers. However, bribing a behind-the-scenes helper for information would be breaking the rules.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:40 AM   #1538
Passacaglia
Coordinator

http://www.startribune.com/10142/sto...90733-t23.html
Old 02-12-2007, 10:40 AM   #1539
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wednesday View Post
He didn't ask 20 people, he asked 20 poker players.

Most non-professional poker players don't really know the names of any poker players. I play poker and could not name a pro.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:42 AM   #1540
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Below is the rule about outside sources. Why can't we ask our teacher wives?

1. You may use external sources, people, programs, and other information sources to assist you, as long as they do not provide you with insider information that the other players aren't privy to. For example, if I were to have a trivia challenge, you could consult either Wikipedia or your smarty-pants friend who was on Jeopardy! for the answers. However, bribing a behind-the-scenes helper for information would be breaking the rules.

Hmm ok, easy way to handle this I guess:

Barkeep, is it ok to ask our teacher S.O.'s their opinion, or does that violate this rule of the game?

I guess better safe than sorry

As for the poker player question, I don't play poker, and only occasionally see poker on tv. I know the name Phil Ivey and know who he is. I also know who Phil Helmuth is. I would be highly suprised if the most popular answer ends up being "me". I don't know who poker players would say, but i don't have any problems beliving ivey.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:44 AM   #1541
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Ask away. Hell setup a poll in OT for all I care. However, you may not ask any of my students, any of the teachers I work with, any of my friends who play poker, or anyone who goes to the library I work at.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 10:45 AM   #1542
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Yeah, I'm cool with all the answers we have already.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:46 AM   #1543
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkeep49 View Post
Ask away. Hell setup a poll in OT for all I care. However, you may not ask any of my students, any of the teachers I work with, any of my friends who play poker, or anyone who goes to the library I work at.

Damn. I'll have to cancel my Metra trip to the suburbs.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:46 AM   #1544
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

My wife is an elementary teacher and the Librarian to boot. I have assisted her in helping with book fairs, etc. Not to mention numerous conversations and exposure to school life. The answers that I beleive are most popular are below:

1. Harry Potter and the Sorcers Stone - It is the most popular book checked out. It is also the one that sells the best at the book fairs.

2. Pizza - this is their favorite lunch item on the menu

3. Little Miss Sunshine. My wife liked this one the best by far and even purchased the DVD.

4. For poker players, I would say me or themselves.

5. 5:30am, but I think this is dependent upon what time of day school starts or the teacher is due to work. Schools are notorious for spreading out start times for traffic control. Depends upon what time BK's survey group starts work. With that caveat, maybe 6am would be a decent answer.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:47 AM   #1545
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Hmm ok, easy way to handle this I guess:

Barkeep, is it ok to ask our teacher S.O.'s their opinion, or does that violate this rule of the game?

I guess better safe than sorry

As for the poker player question, I don't play poker, and only occasionally see poker on tv. I know the name Phil Ivey and know who he is. I also know who Phil Helmuth is. I would be highly suprised if the most popular answer ends up being "me". I don't know who poker players would say, but i don't have any problems beliving ivey.

Maybe we should just say Phil
Old 02-12-2007, 10:48 AM   #1546
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
My wife is an elementary teacher and the Librarian to boot. I have assisted her in helping with book fairs, etc. Not to mention numerous conversations and exposure to school life. The answers that I beleive are most popular are below:

1. Harry Potter and the Sorcers Stone - It is the most popular book checked out. It is also the one that sells the best at the book fairs.

2. Pizza - this is their favorite lunch item on the menu

3. Little Miss Sunshine. My wife liked this one the best by far and even purchased the DVD.

4. For poker players, I would say me or themselves.

5. 5:30am, but I think this is dependent upon what time of day school starts or the teacher is due to work. Schools are notorious for spreading out start times for traffic control. Depends upon what time BK's survey group starts work. With that caveat, maybe 6am would be a decent answer.

Remember it wasn't just teachers asked what time they wake up.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:50 AM   #1547
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

For instance out of the people here what time would you put that you wake up?

I know for myself i wake up at 6:45-6:50am myself each morning (except mornings after barkeep keeping me up till 2:30am.)

So if I was asked this at the library, I would say 7am myself.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:52 AM   #1548
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

The feel I get from Barkeep is he wouldn't accept "me" as an answer for the poker question.

I don't think we need to discuss that one any further. If I am wrong I'll eat some crow.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:53 AM   #1549
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

dola- I am fine with The sorcerers stone-book 1. I think this will be the most evenly distributed question.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:55 AM   #1550
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

so I know we said we were gonna stay out of Oz's thread but wouldn't it be helpfull to know their answers for this challenge?