Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-20-2006, 09:51 PM   #1501
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSUCougar
Thanks for the replies.

But hmmm...I have no clue what to do with a national team. Any plus/minus thoughts on it? Suggestions?

I haven't played with a national team in FM 06, but in previous versions it was fun if you had that nation as one of your "active" leagues. It wasn't so fun if you didn't. Even if it was an active nation, there are times where I felt the national team was more fun than work.. that being said I've heard there are some significant improvements to the National Side management in FM 06 from the 05 version.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 09:53 PM   #1502
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

in terms of taking the job?

TAKE IT. it can only help your prestige, and it's a whole nother area of the game that's great fun. I actually got sacked from my first international job when my damm Portuguese side collapsed in the European Championship, but I picked up France right after.

It can sometimes help you find cheap young players to bring to your club team, whose value you can then pump up through international caps before you sell.

I generally find that I tend to be more "hands off" internationally. I generally won't fiddle too much with the tactics, at least until I get comfortable with the team and have a chance to give them some friendlies to get accustomed to the new tactical style.

i do enjoy the international management side of things though
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 09:58 PM   #1503
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Not being knowledgeable about international soccer, I'm not sure I understand what I'm supposed to do if I take the position. Are players placed on the team automatically?
Old 02-20-2006, 09:58 PM   #1504
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

For me, one of the biggest chores is trying to find young guys to bring onto the squad for international play. I recommend at least assigning your International AM (once you appoint one) to handle the youth squad of the Country you will be managing. At least he can scout young talent for you and then you can bring up the young talent as it matures to the main international squad. International play can be quite fun, and I had a blast when I was managing England in my current career (until they fired me!)
Old 02-20-2006, 09:59 PM   #1505
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSUCougar
Not being knowledgeable about international soccer, I'm not sure I understand what I'm supposed to do if I take the position. Are players placed on the team automatically?

Nope, you have to call players up to the team when appropriate. The game will give you prompts as a match approaches and tell you to name your players for the current set of matches.
Old 02-22-2006, 02:33 PM   #1506
Karim
College Starter

Here's a player I picked up as a 16 year old. His only position was an 'unconvincing' DC. I gave him two years on the youth squad but there was no improvement in terms of position, but his attributes are great. I don't know where he should be played. He doesn't have the heading/jumping I think a DC should have and his offensive capabilities are too impressive to make him play defence. I had a DL go down in one match and decided to throw him in. He promptly scored a 65 yard (yes - 65 yard!) strike, catching the goalie off his line. I had never seen anything like it. Since then, I've tried him everywhere but I'm not sure where he would be best utilized. Currently, I'm training him as a striker but MC would be better?

Click here...

Last edited by Karim : 02-22-2006 at 02:35 PM.
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 02:44 PM   #1507
Koryo
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karim
Here's a player I picked up as a 16 year old. His only position was an 'unconvincing' DC. I gave him two years on the youth squad but there was no improvement in terms of position, but his attributes are great. I don't know where he should be played. He doesn't have the heading/jumping I think a DC should have and his offensive capabilities are too impressive to make him play defence. I had a DL go down in one match and decided to throw him in. He promptly scored a 65 yard (yes - 65 yard!) strike, catching the goalie off his line. I had never seen anything like it. Since then, I've tried him everywhere but I'm not sure where he would be best utilized. Currently, I'm training him as a striker but MC would be better?

Click here...

He's a DC but his skills for the centreback position aren't very good. I doubt you'll ever be able to get him to perform at another position. Typically, if a player isn't showing as "accomplished" at a particular position then I won't start him there.

Last edited by Koryo : 02-22-2006 at 02:48 PM.
Koryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 05:23 PM   #1508
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:

Click here...

I'd without a doubt train him as a center middie. He looks like a new Gerrard to me-- a true box-to-box middie who can make a play at any spot on the pitch.

Unlike Koryo, I'm very amenable to trying players in positions they're not rated highly in (or even not rated at all). I typically have a short leash with such players, but I also can get encouraging results.
Old 02-23-2006, 01:08 AM   #1509
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Ok boys I'm finally seeing light at the end of the tunnel. I'm so damned proud right now that I stuck it out and made it through the learning curve, this is one hell of a game.

I have made it through the freindlies of what will be my first full season and have played my first three regular season matches. Currently sitting tied for first in Conf National at 2 wins and a draw all as an underdog. I'm sure it seems like a small thing to most here but it is a big step for me as it is the result of finally having an understanding of the basics of the game.

It started by selling off palyers I either didn't want or couldn't afford. I then brought in a pretty good striker on a year long loan at no cost to me. Also found what looks to be a future star DC through my scouts and made my first transfer purchase. Now sitting with my 2 wins I was able to secure a real star ML from the Beligian Premiere league on loan, again for the entire year. This kid should really solidfy my team, 20 pass, 16 dribble, 12 decision, 14 long shot, 12 finish, and many other double digit attributes.

The other reason for me seeing at least some success is tactics. Awhile ago
I d'loaded Neonlight's 4-4-2 tactic to get me started. Not any kind of a super tactic just a solid base to build on. I used it through the friendlies and
to this untrained eye it did at least seem to keep the club more organised on the pitch. Then with the season about to begin I sat down and really looked at my players, assessing their strengths and weaknesses, to get an idea of what I thought they could do. I then proceeded to make changes to my tactic based on their individual abilities. I also made changes to the team settings based on ideas I had and the helpful comments of some of you guys here.

The team had 8 or 9 games under their belt using this 443 and so were pretty familiar with it. Then adding the tweaks really seemed to get them going. Right away I could see the play was imroved. We were getting up the pitch
faster and cutting off there offense with a lot more efficiency. A very cool thing to see the correlation between the tactic changes and the resulting play.

I also moved into the training aspects of the game. I set up my own position specific traing schedules and have seen much improvement in my players. Lot's of green up arrows and not many decreases and nobody bitching about the workload being too heavy.

So why do I come here to share this long post with you guys? It was either tell you or tell my wife. Now even if nobody responds to this, that's ok. I'd rather look at the blank screen than the bland look on her face as I told her about my small successes and how great this game is
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 06:29 AM   #1510
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Sweed - glad you're enjoying the game

Be warned though the upper leagues have managers who are much more tactically astute and so more tweaking might be required once you gain a promotion or two

In the lower levels physical tactics tend to work well if you've got reasonable facilities and players who are physically able, as you go further up the leagues most players are physically pretty able and its more about their skill and exploiting weaknesses in the opposition (either tactically or a weak player).

Have Fun,

Marc
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 06:30 AM   #1511
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Re: James King
To be he looks like a DMC, someone to sit in front of the defense in a 442 diamond formation and control the pace of the game and launch attacks for you ....

Darren Cook (england international ) one of the regens in my current game is my most important player and plays that role for me.
Old 02-23-2006, 06:59 AM   #1512
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

For the first time since I've started FM '06 and five seasons into a career, I've had a player begin to moan about my matchday comments to the team. I guess this guy doesn't like positive reinforcement like the rest of my team. It's a shame too as I'm reluctant to change the way I talk to the team on matchday as it seems to be working relatively well (got Exeter to League 1). I don't want to have to offload him as he's a pretty good player, but I'm almost wondering if he's a bit of a prima donna who wants special treatment.
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 07:27 AM   #1513
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed
So why do I come here to share this long post with you guys? It was either tell you or tell my wife. Now even if nobody responds to this, that's ok. I'd rather look at the blank screen than the bland look on her face as I told her about my small successes and how great this game is

dude, you're not nice. Here I am, sitting at my desk, chuckling like a little boy and people are looking at me like I'm crazy. That is so funny because IT HAS HAPPENED TO ME!!!

Now my wife comes to me asks me if my little billiard balls are doing great or not. to her in that instance.

Seriously, it's amazing how this game draws you in, how you start caring about them little billiard balls, how you try to find a way to work a kid into your lineup, little things... I remember the first time I got sacked by Luton Town in FM2005. I was down for a week, a week real time that is. I had put so much emotion in that team, for three and a half long seasons, and then I felt like the players stopped playing for me. Surreal, just like you can see it in real life...

FM
Old 02-23-2006, 07:57 AM   #1514
Flasch186
Coordinator

i try to explain it to everyone, I find myself talking about promotion and they smile and think, "how sad".

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 08:35 AM   #1515
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan

Seriously, it's amazing how this game draws you in, how you start caring about them little billiard balls, how you try to find a way to work a kid into your lineup, little things... I remember the first time I got sacked by Luton Town in FM2005. I was down for a week, a week real time that is. I had put so much emotion in that team, for three and a half long seasons, and then I felt like the players stopped playing for me. Surreal, just like you can see it in real life...

FM

Yeah, there is just so much going on all the time. I'm in my first career started umemployed and was hired by Kettering in late March. My intent was to get a job and move through a complete season to get my feet wet, then move on to a serious career. By being hired late season I have been through a playoff, off season, pre-season, and a few regular season matches. So I have pretty much seen what I need to, too go ahead and start a serious career.

During this time I have made many "rookie decisions" that I can now see I would do differently. So starting over with a serious career would be a good thing. Problem is I have become attached to my Kettering lads and now have no intention of dropping them and starting over. I'll live with those decisions and learn from them.

Funny thing about wsm and my wife. I had the game for probably 6 weeks, she was actually with me when I bought the game, and she was walking by the computer while I was playing and says "when did you buy a soccer game?" So I told her "you were in the mall when I bought it and looked at it in the bag." and then in my best Sam Kinnison voice I told her "it's not soccer it's FOOTBALL." She laughed at the Kinnison voice but I don't think she actually got the FOOTBALL comment
Old 02-23-2006, 09:02 AM   #1516
tanglewood
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Click here...

I think he could be very good in a Beckenbauer* type role. Play him in central defence, but with passing set to mixed, creativity set to full, forward runs on and no marking responsibilities. Also set him as the teams playmaker. Of course, you'll need to play him in the middle of a three, but I think he could be very effective, he certainly has the talent. Might be a bit of a risk and certainly will be a huge change for your players, so maybe try it out in some less important cup games first.

*For those who don't know, Franz Beckenbauer was captain of West German in the late-60s/early 70s and invented this position for himself. He would defend when neccesary, but his primary role was to spray passes across the pitch from deep lying positions and control possesion and tempo by providing an easy outlet for everyone in the side. He did this with tremendous success at the highest level for 10 or so years, winning both the World Cup and European Championship. Of course, it helps that he as insanely talented, easily a top-10 player ever.

Last edited by tanglewood : 02-23-2006 at 09:03 AM.
tanglewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 09:22 AM   #1517
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

By the way - thanks chaps

One of the nicest things about being a developer is hearing people discussing one of your games and the 'people' in it as if they are real ... apart from anything else it convinces me I'm not mad when I'm playing FM and do it myself
Old 02-23-2006, 09:44 AM   #1518
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan

One of the nicest things about being a developer is hearing people discussing one of your games and the 'people' in it as if they are real ... apart from anything else it convinces me I'm not mad when I'm playing FM and do it myself

/fanboy hat on/
Marc, I know I've been vocal about the digidowload problems/delays but the game *IS* great, honestly. I've said it many time and will say it again. Not many games have kept me playing for such a long period of time, looking for any little period of time I can boot it up. And think about it, the PC is in our bedroom and my wife is currently working the night shift, meaning she is taking a nap from about 8 to 10pm, meaning the computer is off-limit. I'm going insane having to watch TV. I don't want to watch TV, I wan't to watch, as well as participate in the life of my football club unfolding before my eyes.

The great news is that she found a new job and will go back to the day shift on March 14. She's got enough TV shows recorded that she'll be watching TV for a few weeks while I get my fix of WSM, weehee
/fanboy hat off/

Now, about what I'd like to see added in FM2007

just kidding, I'll enjoy 2006 for now

FM
Old 02-23-2006, 10:14 AM   #1519
path12
Coordinator

Quote:

I'll put my fanboy hat on for a moment also.

Marc, I am 43 and have been gaming since the days of Zork and the Atari 400 -- and was an avid board gamer before that. I have never gotten so much long term satisfaction and enjoyment from a game as I have from the CM/FM series. Thank you guys for making the game I always dreamed of seeing.

OK, hat off.

And Sweed, welcome to the club!
Old 02-23-2006, 10:25 AM   #1520
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
If you've any pet ideas for future versions then I'd love to hear them - won't promise that I'll agree with them or even if I do when they'd get added .... but they'd definitely be listened to and considered (several ideas presently in our games have come from user suggestions).

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 02-23-2006 at 10:25 AM.
Old 02-23-2006, 01:18 PM   #1521
Katon
College Benchwarmer

Marc, did you catch my save problem upthread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katon
Whenever I try to open my current game, I get booted to the desktop (with FM still open, as if I'd alt-tabbed) and see an error message saying "rule group has empty discipline rules". Try to get back into the program, same error message appears again. My other saves open perfectly normally.

Is there anything I can do, or is the save lost for good?
Katon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 02:22 PM   #1522
chris3627
n00b

Quote:

I don't know if this idea has been suggested in the past before or not, but it is something I've wanted to try.

FM is currently a career mode game. I'd love to see a single season mode. Playing either a World Cup model (32 team tourney, 8 groups, single elimination, all neutral sites or pick a home team) a CL mode (32 teams, 8 groups, home and away, little longer) or Superleague (10-20 teams, home and away, playoffs optional).

Teams could be selected in a pregame start up menu, a combination of national sides and/or club sides using the rosters and databases from New Game Selection.

It still is a single season game so you have to cope thru injuries, players complaining about riding the pine, bruised egos, red cards for fighting and the transfer system would be disabled (it is only single season mode). But with the limited number of teams, rosters frozen when you start (23-25 depending on which format), and no transfer system, the processing speed should fly by. Anyone of these three modes should take a fraction of a full regular season to complete.

Thinking about it now, I know people have talked before about creating your own leagues, but this is different and the same. The competition formats would be the same as currently exist in the game, they just become a new stand alone feature. The only thing different is you would be able to select which teams you play against when you start, or you can let the computer pick the teams (using factors such as nation, region and reputation for example.)

I thought of this yesterday cause I really wanted to play next years world cup and found it took me half an hour just to find the save game close enough to play it out, and I still didn't have the teams and in the groups that I would have liked on there. I don't know if this is doable or not, but its another feature that people would like to see.
chris3627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 03:15 PM   #1523
Karim
College Starter

Thanks for the responses regarding James King. He's my pet project; I'm trying him everywhere, in all sorts of situations and he hasn't complained yet.
Old 02-23-2006, 04:58 PM   #1524
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katon
Marc, did you catch my save problem upthread?

Is there anything I can do, or is the save lost for good?

The message is a corrupt game flag (basically it means unexpected data has been found and so the game isn't sure what to do - where possible the game auto-repairs these, but sometimes it justs puts its hand in the air and asks for help) - these are normally down to power fluctuations, bad sectors on the hard-disk etc.

I'm afraid there isn't much you can do to repair it yourself, however if you can host the file somewhere for me to download I'll see if I can get it on its feet again for you (normally can do in around 60% of cases) - if this is possible please email me at [email protected] and let me know where you've put it (sorry you can't email them to me - I blew the server at SI a year or so ago when someone tried to upload a 1Gb file to me (don't ask ) and since then its been capped).
Old 02-23-2006, 04:59 PM   #1525
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
It still is a single season game so you have to cope thru injuries, players complaining about riding the pine, bruised egos, red cards for fighting and the transfer system would be disabled (it is only single season mode). But with the limited number of teams, rosters frozen when you start (23-25 depending on which format), and no transfer system, the processing speed should fly by. Anyone of these three modes should take a fraction of a full regular season to complete.
You might want to check out the Xbox 360 Live mode .... its pretty much what you're asking for strangely enough
Old 02-23-2006, 05:03 PM   #1526
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

PS> FM 360 is one 'sku' fits all - ie. any copy will work on any machine anywhere in the world if you're wondering ..
Old 02-23-2006, 06:18 PM   #1527
Flasch186
Coordinator

remember that version of microleague baseball when the ball went to that portion of the field, a little video of the action would play. I miss that. Is there ever a possibility to have cinema stuff like that but so many, and so varied that it wouldnt get old? perhaps a toggle option. I think that that would be awesome in this game, with all the teams and colors and fans and songs etc.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 10:31 PM   #1528
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
If you've any pet ideas for future versions then I'd love to hear them - won't promise that I'll agree with them or even if I do when they'd get added .... but they'd definitely be listened to and considered (several ideas presently in our games have come from user suggestions).

read that post this afternoon but nothing was coming as I'd not played yesterday but while playing tonight, and going down 0-1 after only 22 seconds against Chelsea (with newly promoted Luton Town ), it occured to me: pre game talks! I love the post game talks and I try to personalize them to what the players have done and sometimes let go my frustration in them. But having pregame talks would be nice to make sure your players don't get intimidated by big games (like this one) or don't come flat on easier games (like say an early round cup game)...

I'll let you know if I think of anything else.

Meanwhile, just saw one tiny thing on one of my player's profile. You know where they list things like "pleased at having signed a new contract" or "pleased with the team's position in the league table" and such, well one of my players was just showing a "enjoys the team's style of play". Had never seen that one before and thought it was pretty cool. The guy is a Greek DMC that I bought for a mere $95k fours seasons ago and he's turned out into quite the stud. The guy really is the anchor of my 4-1-2-1-2 wide diamond formation. When he's in there, he controls the defensive portion of our midfield. Maybe the fact he's got a so important position played into his comment, but I felt it was pretty nifty...

FM
Old 02-24-2006, 12:26 PM   #1529
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Quote:

The greatest deficiency I see in the current game is the way the fictional name worlds are created. Too much repetition of first and last names, and it impacts gameplay in that it becomes difficult to remember who is who. It seems like this could be done in a more effective way, and also in a way that allows more user control over the name generation process.
Godzilla Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 12:53 PM   #1530
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Maybe you guys can figure this one out for me: For the past few games, I've noticed that every once in a while, my left striker and left central defender seem to be in each other's places. I've got them set to the pre-set tactics for their positions, and they're definitely lined up in the right place in my tactics. It just bugs me, because that striker is tearing up Conference National and the FA competitions -- this season he has 20 goals in 24 games. It really burns me up when I see him sitting on the D-Line.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 01:00 PM   #1531
MikeVick7
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia
Maybe you guys can figure this one out for me: For the past few games, I've noticed that every once in a while, my left striker and left central defender seem to be in each other's places. I've got them set to the pre-set tactics for their positions, and they're definitely lined up in the right place in my tactics. It just bugs me, because that striker is tearing up Conference National and the FA competitions -- this season he has 20 goals in 24 games. It really burns me up when I see him sitting on the D-Line.
Just make sure that in their individual instructions they are not set to swap positions with each other. That would be the only thing I could think of. If not that, then I have no clue.
Old 02-24-2006, 03:53 PM   #1532
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan
read that post this afternoon but nothing was coming as I'd not played yesterday but while playing tonight, and going down 0-1 after only 22 seconds against Chelsea (with newly promoted Luton Town ), it occured to me: pre game talks! I love the post game talks and I try to personalize them to what the players have done and sometimes let go my frustration in them. But having pregame talks would be nice to make sure your players don't get intimidated by big games (like this one) or don't come flat on easier games (like say an early round cup game)...

FM

This is a great idea, FM. Simple, obvious, I'm surprised nobody has brought it up before Well done.
Old 02-24-2006, 04:10 PM   #1533
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

HELP HELP HELP GUYS!!

Is there a way to cancel a transfer in 06 after you've already accepted it? Because when the transfer date comes around there is no longer a "confirm transfer" button. And my board has pulled back a bunch of the $$ they were going to let me use for transfers (which is another matter that I would like to bring up with MV at some point...it makes no sense that they did...I only spent what they gave me + what i got from selling players, and yet they accuse me of "extravagent spending?"). So now I have a bunch of players signed to come in on 7/1 and I want to cancel some of the transfers so that I can get the ones that I actually want.

Help guys!
Old 02-24-2006, 04:19 PM   #1534
MikeVick7
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo
HELP HELP HELP GUYS!!

Is there a way to cancel a transfer in 06 after you've already accepted it? Because when the transfer date comes around there is no longer a "confirm transfer" button. And my board has pulled back a bunch of the $$ they were going to let me use for transfers (which is another matter that I would like to bring up with MV at some point...it makes no sense that they did...I only spent what they gave me + what i got from selling players, and yet they accuse me of "extravagent spending?"). So now I have a bunch of players signed to come in on 7/1 and I want to cancel some of the transfers so that I can get the ones that I actually want.

Help guys!
I'm wondering if it will still give you the choice to Accept, Delay or Cancel a transfer when 7/1 rolls around??? It does that when you make a transfer deal while the transfer window is open.

I don't think there's a way to do it up until then, so I think you have no choice to wait, but I'm thinking you'll still have the option.
Old 02-24-2006, 04:23 PM   #1535
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVick7
I'm wondering if it will still give you the choice to Accept, Delay or Cancel a transfer when 7/1 rolls around??? It does that when you make a transfer deal while the transfer window is open.

I don't think there's a way to do it up until then, so I think you have no choice to wait, but I'm thinking you'll still have the option.
well i'll try that and see, but i seem to recall that it doesn't this time (from a previous year in this game)
Old 02-24-2006, 04:28 PM   #1536
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

dola

and HOW pissed off was I when Lynel Kitambala scored for France in extra time to give me a 3-2 lead over Brazil in the semi-final of the Confederations Cup, only to have some little Brazillian ass named Dagoberto score TWICE in the span of 3 minutes to give Brazil a 4-3 win??

Damm I love this game.
Old 02-24-2006, 04:33 PM   #1537
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia

Check out what settings you've got for corners and freekicks. If you're sending the centerhalfs forward, they may switch after a cleared corner or freekick when the centerhalf gets caught up field.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 04:51 PM   #1538
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

okay. i take back my financial rant MV. It looks like the money was allocated out of my last year's budget to sign the guys on 7/1 once I committed to signing them, as I have signed them all with no problem.
Old 02-25-2006, 07:35 AM   #1539
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVick7

I have never been given that choice at 07/01 (when the window opens) once I commit to the transfer. If you have the money to do that transfer and have no other complication (roster limit of some sort) then it goes through.
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 11:02 AM   #1540
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by daedalus
I have never been given that choice at 07/01 (when the window opens) once I commit to the transfer. If you have the money to do that transfer and have no other complication (roster limit of some sort) then it goes through.

I thought the money went through immediately? Maybe it's a Jan. 1 thing, but when I sold some players scheduled to leave my team Jan. 1, I got the money right away.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 02:49 PM   #1541
Karim
College Starter

There are only two things I'd like to see:

1. Pre-Game Talks (as explained by FrogMan) and;

2. Coach Interaction - other than the training screen, or when you approach to sign, you never hear anything from a coach. My only options are to terminate or renew his contract. I'd like to know if he thinks I'm doing things wrong, dealing too harshly with a player, if I'm not taking advantage of someone's potential, if he's enjoying life at the team, or if he's looking to move on. Coaches have personalities too!
Old 02-25-2006, 02:58 PM   #1542
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

i think just the frequency of interaction needs to be dialed up a bit to even further immerse players.

couple ideas I've had.

How about your local paper/fan website approaches you for an interview on a particular topic and you can choose from a series of responses about things like "how pleased are you with the season? what's the latest on transfer rumors for the club? how have the young players been performing for the youth team? how pleased are you with the season overall?" things like that...the "common questions" that managers have to deal with everyday.

also i'd like to see more ability to interact with the players. how come I can't "call any player into my office" at any point in time and have a conversation with him? Like you can in SaaP for instance...call them in and say "hey you're playing really great lately. keep it up!" or "hey we want to trade you, so it'd be great if you'd put your best performances on now so you can audition for potential suitors." things like that. again, more of the common, everyday-type things.

I guess what I want to see really is to have these things be manager-initiated more than media/player initiated. Because these types of things are in the game, but if they were able to be manager-initiated then people could use them in the frequency that they wanted.

hope that makes sense
Old 02-25-2006, 03:45 PM   #1543
Booj
High School JV

After a long layoff, I'm looking to get back into FM2006.

I just am not knowledgable about soccer at all. Basically, I want to start at the bottom of a league, but I don't want TOO big of a challenge since I haven't played a serious career in FM yet.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
Booj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 03:49 PM   #1544
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booj

I just am not knowledgable about soccer at all. Basically, I want to start at the bottom of a league, but I don't want TOO big of a challenge since I haven't played a serious career in FM yet.

I'd pick a league with a fairly high degree of native talent but not a big gap between the top teams and the bottom then. Holland maybe? After Ajax and PSV the rest of the league is on pretty much the same level. Portugal? These leagues also have the possibility of getting you into the Champions League better than say Norway or Belgium or some smaller league like that, and the Champions League = $$
Old 02-25-2006, 03:53 PM   #1545
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booj

Russia only has two levels, but starting out in the lower division has been very fun for me. There is money to be had, and overall you have a lot of "feeder" leagues to choose from -- Ceska Republica, Slovenia, Slovakia, Ukraine, Belarus all provide a lot of players for the Russian league in my game.
Old 02-25-2006, 03:57 PM   #1546
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Grrrrr.

*initiate frustrated rant*

Twice now, I have had the game do a forced "quit" due to some silly "WSM is out of virtual memory" error. WTF? Just suddenly, out of the blue, the game shuts down without a chance to save. Whamo, there goes x amount of gameplay and time wasted, and my immersion is shot all to hell. Damn, that's frustrating.

*end frustrated rant*
Old 02-25-2006, 04:00 PM   #1547
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

weird WSU. never seen that happen. sometimes I get a weird like "array access out of bounds" error or something, but it never forces a shutdown of the game...
Old 02-25-2006, 08:53 PM   #1548
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

So I feel like I had one of my biggest accomplishments tonight since starting with this series with CM 96/97. I had decided to take the Canadian national team job at the end of 2010. We started off with a couple of friendlies before heading off to the 2011 CONCACAF Gold Cup. A 5-1 thrashing of Belize was followed by a 1-1 draw with Mexico. That put us in the quarterfinals against Puerto Rico and we squeeked by 2-1 to set up a semifinal against 3 time defending World Cup champs Brazil. I only wanted to avoid a slaughter.

I set our formation relatively narrow to try to pack things tight with the defense and make Brazil cross to penetrate our 18 yard box. But After 1 minute, I figured a slaughter was precisely what we were going to face as the Brazilians zipped forward to take an immediate 1-0 lead. But we managed to stem the tide through the rest of the half to go in only behind a goal. Things remained 1-0 until the 70th when I figured it was time to try to open things up a bit by widening our 4-4-2, moving my playmaking middie to the wing and focusing passing down the flanks in hopes of taking advantage of the holes in Brazil's 3-5-2. In the 82nd, my playmaker gets the ball and sprays a 45 yard direct pass right over Brazil's defense to my streaking striker who finishes to tie the game at 1. I go back to narrowing my formation, but don't go as defensive this time around. We hold out again until regulation time is up. 1-1 after 90.

In the 110th minute, one of my substitute defensive midfielders plays a through pass to another substitute striker who scores on his first touch on the ball. 2-1 Canada. But Brazil hit us right back in the 111th as my keeper gets caught out and chipped from 25 yards away. 2-2 and all I can do is hope for penalties.

Penalties is what we get after the 120 minutes is up. My first shooter steps up and confidently scores. The Brazilian who scored both of their regulation goals takes their first penalty and my keeper saves! We then trade pk conversions in the next 3 chances to leave the score 4-3 after 4 opportunities each. My left back who gave the ball away to gift Brazil their first goal steps to the spot for a shot at the winning pk. He converts! We win the shootout 5-3 and I have my biggest FM win ever and possibly my biggest CM/FM win ever! Final shots on goal 30-10 Brazil. Final shots on target 18-5. But we somehow pull the shock victory.

Of course now we have to follow this huge upset by coming back down to earth for the Gold Cup Final. I almost don't care if we win it or not. Beating Brazil is as good as winning the Cup anyways. I love this game.

Last edited by Ajaxab : 02-25-2006 at 08:55 PM.
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 09:00 PM   #1549
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Ajaxab...sounds like you got the win against Brazil that I was supposed to have!!

GRRR
Old 02-25-2006, 09:00 PM   #1550
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

dola

congrats though