Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-05-2013, 01:08 AM   #1501
tarcone
Coordinator

Well, found the next game I buy. 1775: Rebellion. Birthday coming up. Time to tell my wife what I want for my birthday.
I was interested in this as a KS, but didnt pull the trigger. It will be in stores in a month.
I watched the review I posted below tonight. Found it can be played solitaire and still remain a good game.
Theme is what Im looking for. It has dice and cards.

The review is by Marco Arnaudo, who is my favorite reviewer.

BoardGameGeek | Gaming Unplugged Since 2000

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 03:40 PM   #1502
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
I haven't figured out a favorite faction. The Cave Goblins finally did seem to click for me though.

CSI does have Pandemic on sale for $21.99 even though it isn't listed on their July 4th sale listing. I know they have options for $5ish shipping so it would be cheaper than Amazon with a Prime account.

Pandemic (2013 Edition)
For those of you that have played both - what's a better game between Pandemic and Flash Point: Fire Rescue?
Old 07-05-2013, 04:42 PM   #1503
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

I'm sure I have said it before, but Pandemic is the technically better game as where Flash Point was a slightly more fun game. Pandemic can be a little less chaotic since Flash Point does use dice but that's where it being more random reflects dealing with fire versus diseases spreading across the land.

I break ratings into three parts. One for how much I liked it, how much I want to own it, and how likely I am to replay it. Pandemic I gave a 8.05 since I have zero desire to buy it(it is easy to find when gaming with others) and I could go either way in playing it. Flash point I gave 8.37 since I see it less but a number of people own it, and I have only played it once so I would like to play it some more. In the end they are both 8s.
Old 07-06-2013, 01:26 PM   #1504
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

So help me, the tabletop sports gaming community is ruined by the absolute assholes that seem to populate it. And 99% of those assholes are baseball-centric.

I was having an absolute blast having gotten back to Roller Rumble with a campaign/dynasty that I recovered after more than 9 years since I last played it. Some of the most fun I've had gaming -- tabletop or console -- in a long time has been this past week.

I go to post up some results (which helps keep me on track & motivated), the post that happens to load first before I can ever get to my thread has me stumble right into some insufferable baseball gamer asshole bitching a some random dude ... and it just sucked every bit of the joy right out of me. That's exactly why I left the tabletop communities online (and fairly quickly the niche itself) in the first place, I simply got sick to death of being drowned by crap like that.

I could just fucking weep right now
Old 07-06-2013, 01:53 PM   #1505
tarcone
Coordinator

Post them here. I am interested in this game you are playing. Would like to see how it plays and what type of results it produces.

Old 07-06-2013, 02:13 PM   #1506
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Post them here. I am interested in this game you are playing. Would like to see how it plays and what type of results it produces.

I was tentatively planning to add the project to the dynasty thread here once I had it completed (or at least hit the halfway point). There's something like 104 games to be played in order to complete the regular season (fictional league, 9 teams, my own structure but using real players from a combined version of one set from the game + a set I d'loaded years ago). I'm currently on game #35.

For the moment, I'll paste a recap/summary from the first game I rolled since picking this back up a week or so ago. Was a doozy too

Spoiler

Everything you see mentioned is either from the FAC's or a "highlight reel" result, that's a chart that you're occasional directed to roll on with a 66 format for the dice. I only embellish enough to provide context for an event or highlight. On the final jam, I opted for Roman to play safe & hope for the tie ... that produced zero points, but the parenthetical would have resulted in 3 more for the T-Birds ... hence the narrative

Hope that gives you a little flavor of the game, it's awfully good stuff if you remember the 70's era of the sport. FWIW, the game treats the sport as real/non-worked, although a lot of the memorable things are captured here, just "naturally occurring" as opposed to scripted.
Old 07-06-2013, 03:30 PM   #1507
tarcone
Coordinator

It kind of looks like my statis pro baseball game in the use of FACs and the use of charts. That is really cool. Thats what I love about the game. Is the use of the FACs and charts with events. Gives it flavor.

Looks like a great game.

Old 07-06-2013, 04:59 PM   #1508
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Anyone had a shot at Terra Mystica yet? It's getting a lot of love over at Board Game Geek, and our group loves the heck out of our complex games. The complete lack of luck in the game is very intriguing to me.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 05:24 PM   #1509
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

I'm not the right person to speak of it in a way that would make someone want to buy it. I have yet to watch a review video straight through without a break. There's no way I want to teach a game like it so I have no real desire buying it. I'm not sure GameNight! videos are the best way to see a game played but at least there is video for a complete gameplay. I do think it is a game that signifies for me I'm done with euros for awhile, and I'm more interested in Ameritrash type of games. Eating the fruits and veggies of euro games is nice. I want a bacon cheeseburger now. I do think for people who like deep euros, this could very easily be a massive hit for them.

Old 07-06-2013, 08:04 PM   #1510
tarcone
Coordinator

When you watch that video, be aware of some rules mistakes. I dont know what they are, but they were brought up at BGG.
My group is also a ameritrash group. I know a couple had said something about this, but I wont buy it.
We do play a few euros, but nothing this deep. I think Dominanat Species is as deep as I go.

Old 07-06-2013, 10:16 PM   #1511
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

By Tarcone's request ... my Roller Rumble dynasty/campaign is now cross-posted here at the FOFC

The NRDL - a Roller Rumble dynasty - Page 2 - Front Office Football Central
Old 07-07-2013, 12:47 AM   #1512
Warhammer
Pro Starter

I would say Dominant Species is deeper than Terra Mystica. I enjoye depth games, but I could see TM being solved, whereas one of the complaints I've heard about DS is being too random.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:06 AM   #1513
Danny
Head Coach

I've played games with all of the people from game night. I'm a celebrity!
Danny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:01 PM   #1514
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
By Tarcone's request ... my Roller Rumble dynasty/campaign is now cross-posted here at the FOFC

The NRDL - a Roller Rumble dynasty - Page 2 - Front Office Football Central
Good decision!
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 02:46 PM   #1515
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Played both the 4 player and 2-player (w/ wife) of Pandemic and it was a blast this weekend. Playing the 2-player with all 6 Epidemic cards is unsettling and enough of a challenge to where you really feel like you can lose (esp with a bad role draw).
Old 07-08-2013, 05:52 PM   #1516
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Thinking of getting King of Tokyo or 7 Wonders. Haven't played either one - so help me choose

If I choose 7 Wonders - is it better with the expansions.

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:26 PM   #1517
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Tokyo is WAY more accessible, so if you have casual gamers, I would highly recommend that over 7 Wonders. That being said, 7 Wonders is awesome if your group can get a handle on it.

If I had to pick one, I'd say King of Tokyo.

I don't have and have never played the expansion(s) for either game, so I can't comment on those either way.

Last edited by Vince, Pt. II : 07-08-2013 at 06:26 PM.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:44 PM   #1518
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

That is actually the perfect response.
Most nights I would be playing with my wife and buddy who are both casual gamers.

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
Old 07-08-2013, 08:18 PM   #1519
Warhammer
Pro Starter

7 Wonders is pretty darn easy to grasp. Look at cards, pick card to play, pass hand. The only rules debate we've ever had with it was regarding the scoring of science bldgs.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:48 PM   #1520
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

If you are only really playing with three people, 7 Wonders might be better. KoT's sweet spot is 4 or even higher depending on the amount of chaos you want. 7 Wonders will likely be better if you want it more in your rotation as well. In terms of easy in picking up, KoT wins there though. To me it was more fun as well.

Last edited by Matthean : 07-08-2013 at 09:49 PM.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:31 PM   #1521
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I just played 7 Wonders for the first time, and it is really easy to pick up. It seems overwhelming at first, but once play you start getting the hang of it. I'm addicted now!
Old 07-08-2013, 10:36 PM   #1522
tarcone
Coordinator

How did I miss this on KS? This is right in my sweet spot.

Old 07-08-2013, 11:03 PM   #1523
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
7 Wonders is pretty darn easy to grasp. Look at cards, pick card to play, pass hand. The only rules debate we've ever had with it was regarding the scoring of science bldgs.

While I agree with this, people can very easily be overwhelmed in a first playthrough because there are so many different types of cards. Some of them (green science cards, I'm looking at you) aren't exactly the easiest to pick up on, and I've seen casual people write off the game immediately because of it.

Overall, if your group is open to new things or experienced with gaming, 7 Wonders is easy and awesome. Otherwise, it can be a little tough.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:17 AM   #1524
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
How did I miss this on KS? This is right in my sweet spot.

Keep subbed to the Dice Tower and some other reviewers and sometimes they will do previews of a game that are just about to hit KS. I think Lance, aka UndeadViking, is required by some sort of law to do a video on any KS space game.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:57 AM   #1525
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post

king of Tokyo is far far better for new gamers. I've gotten someone to play and enjoy the king who had trouble learning checkers. And I am serious.

Beyond that, it having no hidden information makes it a much better game to help new players along.

7 wonders is a great game though
Old 07-09-2013, 07:37 AM   #1526
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Thanks for the feedback... you think a 5 1/2 year old would be able to grasp the basics KoT?

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
Old 07-09-2013, 07:50 AM   #1527
Danny
Head Coach

Yes and again because there's no hidden info, you can help them along.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:34 AM   #1528
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Yeah, it's a really simple game. And that is in no way a bad thing.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:40 AM   #1529
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

The only difficult part for someone that young would be the cards, and you could house rule them out.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:54 AM   #1530
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Thanks again - I ordered KoT and the Power Up expansion. With that I ordered Descent's Labyrinth of Ruin expansion and Legandary's expansion for me. I also got Hey, That's My Fish! and Rory's Story Cubes so my kids can join me in my obsession

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
Old 07-09-2013, 11:22 AM   #1531
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Keep subbed to the Dice Tower and some other reviewers and sometimes they will do previews of a game that are just about to hit KS. I think Lance, aka UndeadViking, is required by some sort of law to do a video on any KS space game.

I subscribe to the KS project page. But I dont always get new entries, for whatever reason. I just happened on the Supremacy KS project as the page was scrollling through pages to the new entries. Strange.

I will pick it up next year when it is online for a much cheaper price then the KS price.

Old 07-09-2013, 11:26 AM   #1532
tarcone
Coordinator

I found another game that has piqued my interest. It is a GMT production. So it is a little more wargamey.
Cataclysm: A Second World War. Here is the description:

"Cataclysm is a multi-player game simulating political and military conflict in the 1930s and 40s. The game’s premise is that a second world war could have broken out at any time other than September 1939, given the numerous political crises that signaled the march of fascism against the contemporary international order.

Each player commands a power or group of powers representing an ideology: Fascism (Germany/Italy/Japan), Communism (USSR) or Democracy (UK/France/US). The status quo resides with Democracy, while Communism and Fascism use political or military force to revise the world order to their liking... but once all three ideologies are fighting, another World War is on!

Cataclysm is designed to be playable in one sitting (four or five hours). It currently has one 22" x 34" map, 520 counters, 14 pages of rules, and 4 scenarios (starting in 1933, 1939, 1941, and 1943), plus an "intro" scenario covering just the Crisis in the West from 1937-40. The game scale is army groups, fleets, and air forces; and two years per turn (with multiple impulses). Design goals include a minimum of maneuver elements, a minimum of arbitrary constraints, and a maximum of interaction. Players must do more forward planning than is typical of strategic WWII games, but also must remain flexible to respond to events. There is no sequence of play, everything (including production) is mediated through a chit-pull mechanism."

Old 07-09-2013, 11:42 AM   #1533
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
I subscribe to the KS project page. But I dont always get new entries, for whatever reason. I just happened on the Supremacy KS project as the page was scrollling through pages to the new entries. Strange.

I will pick it up next year when it is online for a much cheaper price then the KS price.

Maybe in 2015, it's not due out until march 2014 and he has a promised policy of not selling the game anywhere for cheaper for at least 6 months after backers get it. Also wont be able to get in anywhere for 2 months after backers get it.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:06 PM   #1534
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Must be nice to not blink at a 4-5 hour play time. I start pausing at anything over 90 minutes.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:35 PM   #1535
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Maybe my favorite Dice Tower Top 10 list.

Old 07-11-2013, 09:51 AM   #1536
tarcone
Coordinator

Im in the Eclipse boat. That is a game I am looking to get rid of. An economic game in space is exactly what it is. Not a fan.

Old 07-11-2013, 10:01 AM   #1537
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Maybe my favorite Dice Tower Top 10 list.

Really? 7 Wonders? Because someone thought it was innovative? Gawd.

Last edited by sachmo71 : 07-11-2013 at 10:01 AM.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:25 AM   #1538
MikeVic
Head Coach

Hi all. I don't know much about board/card/dice games, etc... but want to find some that are generally considered good/fun and not super complex.

I've recently played Settlers of Catan for the first time (yeah I know, that's how little I've played these types of games) and it was really fun, but still pretty simple. I've also played and liked a game called Bang!... followed by Saboteur and Cards Against Humanity. I've played some other stuff like Apples to Apples (that was fun but not outstanding), and of course some popular basic ones like Monopoly and Life... but I'm thinking there are some consensus great games out there that aren't of the Monopoly/Life variety?
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:02 AM   #1539
cschex
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Hi all. I don't know much about board/card/dice games, etc... but want to find some that are generally considered good/fun and not super complex.

I've recently played Settlers of Catan for the first time (yeah I know, that's how little I've played these types of games) and it was really fun, but still pretty simple. I've also played and liked a game called Bang!... followed by Saboteur and Cards Against Humanity. I've played some other stuff like Apples to Apples (that was fun but not outstanding), and of course some popular basic ones like Monopoly and Life... but I'm thinking there are some consensus great games out there that aren't of the Monopoly/Life variety?

That's what a lot of this thread is about. I'd start by asking what aspects of games do you like? Did you like the interactivity with other players and "take that!" aspects of Bang? If you liked Settlers, there are other "Euro" style games that are certainly steps up in complexity. Also, what number of players are you ideal looking to support?
cschex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:03 AM   #1540
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

I'd recommend a trip to Boardgamegeek.com - check out the following games and see what you like:

Dominion
Power Grid
Agricola
Eclipse
Game of Thrones: Secod Edition
Puerto Rico
7 Wonders
Old 07-11-2013, 11:04 AM   #1541
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschex View Post
That's what a lot of this thread is about. I'd start by asking what aspects of games do you like? Did you like the interactivity with other players and "take that!" aspects of Bang? If you liked Settlers, there are other "Euro" style games that are certainly steps up in complexity. Also, what number of players are you ideal looking to support?

Excellent advice. One of the reasons I like Board Game Geek is because they have a reviews section on each game's page that typically answers the questions of how many players is best for each game, etc.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:16 AM   #1542
tarcone
Coordinator

MikeVic, there are thousands of games. You will be able to find a multitude of enjoyable games. The questions asked by cschex will really narrow down suggestions.
Other questions might be: Do you like to roll dice? Do you like cubes or minatures? Do you like cards to be involved? Would a coop situation be something that interests you?

Going to boardgamegeek is a must. It has soooooo much info over there. Dont be intimidated by the site. It can be a little overwhelming when you first start (at least it was for me). But you will find everything about every game ever mad.

Last edited by tarcone : 07-11-2013 at 11:17 AM.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:21 AM   #1543
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
I'd recommend a trip to Boardgamegeek.com - check out the following games and see what you like:

Dominion
Power Grid
Agricola
Eclipse
Game of Thrones: Secod Edition
Puerto Rico
7 Wonders

I recommend Game of Thrones as its been one of the favorite games of my group lately, but I will also say that you shouldn't get it unless you're going to be playing it with 6 players.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:55 AM   #1544
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
I recommend Game of Thrones as its been one of the favorite games of my group lately, but I will also say that you shouldn't get it unless you're going to be playing it with 6 players.

+1 to this. It's a phenomenal game...if you have a full table. It's also pretty good with 5 people. Any less than that and it suffers from balancing issues.
Old 07-11-2013, 01:25 PM   #1545
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Can anyone recommend a good board game for a 3 year old? I looked at some of the top children's games listed on boardgamegeek, and most seem pretty good. Does anyone have experience playing them with kids that young?
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:54 PM   #1546
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
Can anyone recommend a good board game for a 3 year old? I looked at some of the top children's games listed on boardgamegeek, and most seem pretty good. Does anyone have experience playing them with kids that young?

Game I have at home is a great one for kids. Think it's called Hoot Owl Hoot. Cooperative game with the goal to get all the baby owls back to the next. Very simple card game to play, but does have strategy that you can work through with kids as you play it. My six and three year old girls love the game.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 02:05 PM   #1547
rockboy70
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
+1 to this. It's a phenomenal game...if you have a full table. It's also pretty good with 5 people. Any less than that and it suffers from balancing issues.

The "A Feast for Crows" expansion was the my favorite play of the GOT board game I've had. It's limited to 4 players, but plays in less than 3 hours.
rockboy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 03:21 PM   #1548
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post

If you can, find a local game store that has a game day and try to go there to try out games. There's a long list of things you could look at to see if a game is a good match or not: plays best with what number of players, game length, game weight in terms of rules and depth of strategy, theme, how cutthroat, or not the game is, etc. You'll often find the best game for you might not be considered the best by others.
Old 07-11-2013, 03:26 PM   #1549
markprior22
High School Varsity

Yeah, this thread inspired me to buy a few starter games (7 Wonders, Pandemic, TTR)...now I've got to find some people to play. I live in a town of 120K or so but I can't seem to locate any game meetup groups locally which surprised me. I may have to start something myself this fall. While I bought the games, I've never played them so I'm hoping to find others who have played them to get me started.
markprior22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 03:44 PM   #1550
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Im in the Eclipse boat. That is a game I am looking to get rid of. An economic game in space is exactly what it is. Not a fan.

I just haven't found the more conflict and political space game to replace it. By estimates Exodus was suppose to, but a number of people have said you use dice rolls for so much it ends up being too random. Burning Suns has potential, but we'll see since it hasn't officially hit KS, but UndeadViking did a preview of it.