Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-30-2006, 10:43 AM   #1501
Surtt
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Gorski

I guess part of me is also envious of EA - some people on this forum were very critical of the interface in the first Total Pro Basketball complaining about too many clicks to do things and some people felt there were too many clicks to the recruiting interface in Total College Basketball but here you have a game where the interface design is so horrible that you literally click thousands of more times while playing and its something to overlook because there's 3D graphics. I remember people running multi year tests on seasons of Arlie's football game to see if the QB ratings were within percentage points of real NFL stats but the fact that running backs in Head Coach get 500 carries a season is a minor flaw that maybe can be tweaked with sliders. I'm just surprised that in a community of core customers for text sim sports that there wasn't more outrage at some of this kind of stuff and that seemingly so many people are overlooking it because it has pretty 3D graphics.

I don't think the Head Coach interface is horrible, it is doing exactly what it was designed to do.
Cover lack of content.
Be a big speed bump.

Realistically, if there was a nice clean design, it would take me an half hour to get up to the draft.
That doesn't give someone much game play.
But with this pos interface it takes hours, most of which is spent looking at splash screens.
It makes the whole game "bigger."

United States Supreme Court Justice
Louis D. Brandeis

Last edited by Surtt : 06-30-2006 at 10:47 AM.
Surtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 11:16 AM   #1502
AgustusM
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore
I'm REALLY not trying to be mean here...

But you show a complete lack of understanding of gaming design, programming, etc, etc...

YES, I do have a complete lack of programming - there is no debating that and I don't take it personal what you or anyone else says - this is an anonymous internet forum - I come here because I often find interesting things here, but I could care less if someone disagrees with me - quite frankly I have too many "real" friends I don't need anymore.

Back on point, I do know that over 10 years ago there were games that better simulated the NFL then there are now - the progress made in gaming has been made primarily in the graphics end. I could go play FBPRO with the VPNFL files and get much more accurate results - of course the graphics are extremely dated, it doesn't run very well on XP and the front office aspect is extremely limited - but to suggest it isn't possible is off base in my opinion.

Do I know who to do it? of course not - If I did I would write my own damn game. I believe the game doesn't work the way I would like it to, because EA believes to cater to a wider market they have to go in another direction - but I still believe the reason this game isn't a more accurate NFL sim is more a design decision then a logistical one.
AgustusM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 11:35 AM   #1503
AgustusM
College Prospect

Quote:
[RANT]
I guess part of me is also envious of EA - some people on this forum were very critical of the interface in the first Total Pro Basketball complaining about too many clicks to do things and some people felt there were too many clicks to the recruiting interface in Total College Basketball but here you have a game where the interface design is so horrible that you literally click thousands of more times while playing and its something to overlook because there's 3D graphics. I remember people running multi year tests on seasons of Arlie's football game to see if the QB ratings were within percentage points of real NFL stats but the fact that running backs in Head Coach get 500 carries a season is a minor flaw that maybe can be tweaked with sliders. I'm just surprised that in a community of core customers for text sim sports that there wasn't more outrage at some of this kind of stuff and that seemingly so many people are overlooking it because it has pretty 3D graphics.

[/RANT]

Gary - I agree with you 100%.

EA is a frustrating company because they come so close to delivering what I want. But in the end, there are always serious flaws. However as a business man I understand they are extremely successful - no matter how much I (and many others) are looking for a more serious sporting experience, the problem is the $50 I spend is no better then the $50 some 12 year old kid who only cares about things like end zone dances and physically impossible moves. That kid doesn't even look at the league leaders much less care about them. of course there are a lot more 12 year old kids buying this game then there are grumpy old men - so EA caters to them, makes millions, repeat.

What is so puzzling about HC is it doesn't appeal to ANY market. My 8 year old son has played hundreds of Madden games and he doesn't care about anything other then playing the game - all of the stuff I care about in a game are boring to him. After watching me play head coach for 30 minutes he was bored out of his mind and on to something else. The only think he liked about HC was when I drafted Reggie Bush. But the game doesn't cater to the serious game either. what we ended up with is a game that really doesn't make either camp happy. this game is easily the most disappointed I have been in a game since FB Pro 99.

I guess the good news for you, is that if EA was ever able to make serious sports sims that incorporated the depth and realism of games like yours with what they do well (3D graphics) the market for games like yours would be dramatically reduced.
Old 06-30-2006, 12:12 PM   #1504
moriarty
College Starter

EA should have hired Gary instead of Joe Stallings.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 12:14 PM   #1505
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgustusM
YES, I do have a complete lack of programming - there is no debating that and I don't take it personal what you or anyone else says - this is an anonymous internet forum - I come here because I often find interesting things here, but I could care less if someone disagrees with me - quite frankly I have too many "real" friends I don't need anymore.

Back on point, I do know that over 10 years ago there were games that better simulated the NFL then there are now - the progress made in gaming has been made primarily in the graphics end. I could go play FBPRO with the VPNFL files and get much more accurate results - of course the graphics are extremely dated, it doesn't run very well on XP and the front office aspect is extremely limited - but to suggest it isn't possible is off base in my opinion.

Do I know who to do it? of course not - If I did I would write my own damn game. I believe the game doesn't work the way I would like it to, because EA believes to cater to a wider market they have to go in another direction - but I still believe the reason this game isn't a more accurate NFL sim is more a design decision then a logistical one.

Well, to be fair, I've never said it isn't possible.... What I'm saying is I think you're expecting too much out of a first generation attempt at this with the high-level of detail in the graphics and options that are being done here. I have to be honest and say that I never played the FPS version, but did it have wide a range of playbooks? Did it have the audible and play prep options? I'm guessing that it didn't, and that adds many layers of complexity.

Keep in mind that HC (and probably FPS, I don't know) is not playing a movie of a pre-determined play (what I sort of envision FOF doing).. it is making many individual decisions based on the interaction of the players on the screen.. if he suddenly cuts left, what does the LB do? What does the RDE do? What does the LDE do? Games such as FOF and strat-o-matic are not doing this to my knowledge.. they are making a "bigger picture" decision.. like... RB runs left... does LB catch him? No.. does RDE catch him? No... Does DT catch him, yes... I just think there is an extra layer of detail here. Because of that, I can see why the difficulty levels are needed.

All that being said, I have not bought this game yet because I'm not convinced I would enjoy it. However, I believe I will when all is said and done based on what cwill is doing. The fact that the stats are a bit off for now is not a killer for me, as I think you have to cut some slack for first-gen games with such big goals. If they're WAY off that's one thing... for instance, there was a year (2k4 maybe?) of Sony's NFL game that I just couldn't get into because the sim stats were WAY off. I do however enjoy Madden. Is it as accurate as FOF? Heck no. But it has the other advantages in the graphical engine.

To Gary... I think some of what I've said above explains why we are tougher on the text-sims than games like HC. In my mind (and I am by no means a programming expert, I have merely done some coding in the past and taken some college courses in CS) getting the stats accurate is not quite as tough a task in a text sim as a graphical sim. In addition, I think part of what I'm doing when I play a text sim is sacrificing the graphical piece to get that realism. I mean.. when it comes down to it... what is the point of playing a text-sim if there is a graphical sim that can do it just as well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 12:33 PM   #1506
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by moriarty

lol thanks but EA has no interest in the game I want to create. To be fair they're not the only one - I've been told as much by people who are either high up in these companies or know those who are - they don't want to waste time on this realism nonsense because "all new freestyle full control crossover dribbling" is more appealing to their masses than intelligent AI trading. Personally I think you can take the time and develop both into a game - especially when you've had say 10-15 years of developing the title but what do I know?
Old 06-30-2006, 12:43 PM   #1507
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:
Well, to be fair, I've never said it isn't possible.... What I'm saying is I think you're expecting too much out of a first generation attempt at this with the high-level of detail in the graphics and options that are being done here. I have to be honest and say that I never played the FPS version, but did it have wide a range of playbooks? Did it have the audible and play prep options? I'm guessing that it didn't, and that adds many layers of complexity.

Yes, FPS had a play editor so you could create all kinds of plays and playbooks and of course could control the players themselves so not only did the AI have to react to scripted plays but to the motions of the gamer as well.

Quote:
To Gary... I think some of what I've said above explains why we are tougher on the text-sims than games like HC. In my mind (and I am by no means a programming expert, I have merely done some coding in the past and taken some college courses in CS) getting the stats accurate is not quite as tough a task in a text sim as a graphical sim. In addition, I think part of what I'm doing when I play a text sim is sacrificing the graphical piece to get that realism. I mean.. when it comes down to it... what is the point of playing a text-sim if there is a graphical sim that can do it just as well?

I'll respectfully disagree - getting the stats accurate in a text sim is every bit as difficult. Have you played Total College Basketball? You see those games played out in full motion 2D. Every decision that happens in the code is shown on the court and the stats are accurate. What is harder in a 3D model is the animations - in something like TCB with a 2D model you see the icon drive to the basket and get past his man - in a 3D world people can become much more nitpicky about how it happened. "The defender was playing him to force him left and yet he still crossed over to the right, how could that happen". Making the gameplay come to life in 3D is a much greater challenge than in 2D and that's more difficult that in the text sim games that don't have an actual on field/court display.
Old 06-30-2006, 01:52 PM   #1508
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
I'll respectfully disagree - getting the stats accurate in a text sim is every bit as difficult. Have you played Total College Basketball? You see those games played out in full motion 2D. Every decision that happens in the code is shown on the court and the stats are accurate. What is harder in a 3D model is the animations - in something like TCB with a 2D model you see the icon drive to the basket and get past his man - in a 3D world people can become much more nitpicky about how it happened. "The defender was playing him to force him left and yet he still crossed over to the right, how could that happen". Making the gameplay come to life in 3D is a much greater challenge than in 2D and that's more difficult that in the text sim games that don't have an actual on field/court display.

Never played TCB. At this point, my text-simming has been pretty football based.

At any rate, I think in your last sentence you said it a bit.

Idano, the wind of the sales in my argument are leaving a bit, but I still think that the expectations are lower for a first-gen game this ambitious.

FWIW also, in my text-sims I don't get as hung up in getting "exactly" right stats as others... I've defended FOF on many occasions when people question things like 4q logic, the weight of the qb's importance in it, etc.

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 06-30-2006, 01:56 PM   #1509
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Personally I think you can take the time and develop both into a game - especially when you've had say 10-15 years of developing the title but what do I know?
I know we've been there and done that on this topic, but you're talking about two completely different things: (1) making a game that has world-class AI and world-class graphics; and (2) making a game that makes money.

I realize I'm cynical, but I think Madden with FOF's AI wouldn't sell as well as Madden without FOF's AI. The casual gamer doesn't want it. An 8-year-old button masher isn't going to want to analyze the long-term cap implications of signing a free agent back-up defensive end -- he'll think you're trying to trick him and make him do math.

We all revel in the glory that was FPS Football Pro, but follow it to the end of the page ... Sierra went belly up. If FPS had sold like Madden, it would have been a different story. A title that requires that much investment has to pay off. No one -- other than Daivd Winter -- will invest the time and money into doing a game that does it all only to sell fewer copies and make less money. I hope it happens one day, but I won't hold my breath.

Until that happens, it would be great to see a game like Head Coach try to evolve. Is the game perfect? No. But to me it's a million times more enjoyable than Madden because I'm not a button masher. I do think though that with the the weak reviews and I'm sure weaker sales that we either won't get much more of Head Coach or we'll just get bastardized roster updates for $39.99.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 02:07 PM   #1510
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
I still think the disconnect here is factoring our expectations. Yes, this is hard-core text sim community -- but one of the favorite games of all-time of this audience was Tecmo Bowl. Was that realistic? Not really? Did it have pretty 3D graphics? Not really. Was it fun as hell? You bet.

I do appreciate your honesty, Gary. I don't think that people were harder on TCB than HC because one has 3D graphics. I think my expectations of TCB were higher than my expectations for HC. I readily admit that my personal perception is that there were far more clicks to get something done in TCB than there are in HC. HC probably has the advantage of making it seem like fewer clicks because there is something else happening on screen.

But I haven't tried TCB in a while. To be fair, I should give the demo another shot before making any judgements. But in all honesty, my expectations for a text sim are different than for a sport RPG with no other real competition. If I don't like TCB, I have FBCB. If I don't like Head Coach, I've got nothing.

Last edited by kcchief19 : 06-30-2006 at 02:08 PM.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 02:11 PM   #1511
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19
I know we've been there and done that on this topic, but you're talking about two completely different things: (1) making a game that has world-class AI and world-class graphics; and (2) making a game that makes money.

I realize I'm cynical, but I think Madden with FOF's AI wouldn't sell as well as Madden without FOF's AI. The casual gamer doesn't want it. An 8-year-old button masher isn't going to want to analyze the long-term cap implications of signing a free agent back-up defensive end -- he'll think you're trying to trick him and make him do math.

And that's exactly why it hasn't happened yet - but here's the thing - how many 8 year old button mashers play more than one or two seasons MAX in a career or even play a career mode at all? Is your average button masher going to know that the HBs in the league shouldn't be getting 500 carries a season? Maybe the one on his own team will through his own control but come on - in 15 years or whatever of Madden they can't get stats to at least be in the ballpark of NFL ones? They can add in all the cone precision passing and such to appeal to the arcade base which is by far the larger piece of the pie but why not an option to do the HC stuff (albeit in a much smoother design) in Madden?

I know a studio cannot make a game strictly for the sim group but I see no reason why the elements needed for a good sim can't be build into the button masher world. Granted I don't know the time and resources it takes to add the one new arcade feature they add every year - maybe doing that takes all the development time, I don't know. But they've taken the time to build a football game that has the pieces needed for a career sim - why not spend some time getting those pieces right?
Old 06-30-2006, 02:19 PM   #1512
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:
I still think the disconnect here is factoring our expectations. .... If I don't like Head Coach, I've got nothing.

You're very right on this - I viewed Head Coach as it would be something along the lines of a 3D version of FOF/TPF etc (obviously without the depth of those right off the bat). I viewed it as it was going to be a product line in the same arena as text sim games - not as some odd hybrid of Madden and The Sims which is the reason for my huge dissapointment in it. I fully expected it to not be as good as a FOF in the output of stats and trades etc but I expected it to at least be on the right path. Maybe that's why others aren't as dissapointed with it because you expected it to be what it is whereas I was expecting more of something of the beginning of Madden meets FOF. To be honest, I'm not even sure what EA expected it to be and that's another source of frustration. Have they said anywhere what the game is actually supposed to be?
Old 06-30-2006, 02:26 PM   #1513
Flasch186
Coordinator

[flip flop]

Im with you on this statement here, for sure.

As an aside, whats crazy to me, is that I seem to buy every single text sim game when they come out....missing maybe one or two along the way but inevitably I always seem to come back to the same few. at least thats the way its been for the past few years.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL

Last edited by Flasch186 : 06-30-2006 at 02:26 PM.
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 02:29 PM   #1514
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

We all revel in the glory that was FPS Football Pro, but follow it to the end of the page ... Sierra went belly up. If FPS had sold like Madden, it would have been a different story. A title that requires that much investment has to pay off. No one -- other than Daivd Winter -- will invest the time and money into doing a game that does it all only to sell fewer copies and make less money. I hope it happens one day, but I won't hold my breath.

Until that happens, it would be great to see a game like Head Coach try to evolve. Is the game perfect? No. But to me it's a million times more enjoyable than Madden because I'm not a button masher. I do think though that with the the weak reviews and I'm sure weaker sales that we either won't get much more of Head Coach or we'll just get bastardized roster updates for $39.99.

Very well stated.

Do you ever see in a Madden commercial, "Madden 2010, better GM AI, watch as teams trade for that one in a lifetime QB", nope.. it's always some goofy new feature that will sell the game.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 03:13 PM   #1515
AgustusM
College Prospect

Quote:
I have to be honest and say that I never played the FPS version, but did it have wide a range of playbooks? Did it have the audible and play prep options? I'm guessing that it didn't, and that adds many layers of complexity.

actually FPS had a COMPLETE play editor - one that allowed you to make ANY play as, even ones that aren't legal (and if you ran them you would get the appropriate penalty) - FBPro was light years ahead of any EA product in this manner - was it perfect, no - not even close, it was a little TOO easy to make money plays - But with some in-house rules it was better then anything EA has ever done.
Old 06-30-2006, 03:14 PM   #1516
AgustusM
College Prospect

Quote:

absolutely!!!! I couldn't agree more.
Old 06-30-2006, 03:40 PM   #1517
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:

NFL Head Coach screams Joe Stallings!
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 03:48 PM   #1518
Adamski47
High School JV

What is the "Joe Stallings" story? I don't even remember? Wasn't he part of Total Pro Football originally?
Adamski47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 03:59 PM   #1519
SFL Cat
College Starter

Is it time for a Maximum Football vs. NFL Head Coach thread?

Last edited by SFL Cat : 06-30-2006 at 04:00 PM.
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 04:26 PM   #1520
jbmagic
Pro Starter

I am surprise Gary wasn't this vocal with Maximum Football like he is with Head Coach.
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 04:26 PM   #1521
jefflackey
n00b

This is a game that you really, really want to like. That you play in hopes that the flaws will fade away. But it just gets worse the more you play it.

The problem is that you are forced to do things, over and over and over and over, ad nauseum, that are inserted into the game in the guise of "simulation." I'm a serious hard core sports sim and career sim fanatic. But I'd just as soon take the hit in injuries, lack of player development, and the hit on my "work" ethic to keep from having to spend 15 minutes over and over and over and over on drills such as my running back trotting into a defensive back who touches him and then quits. 5 keystrokes (assuming I don't want to give instructions) for each repetition, 10 repetitions. No useful on screen feedback. Boring visual. And you are forced to do totally unrewarding tasks such as this each and every week. Why? So they can check off the "Practice drills! Individual and squad oriented!" feature box. The game is filled with crap like this. OK, let's set up our squad. I want to get a summary report of how my linebackers are doing: LB coach, tell me your assessment of your guys, how they are responding to training, their attitudes, who's getting better, who's getting worse. A side by side listing of their skills. Etc. Uh - no. Instead you get the awkward screens interface. OK, let's make some depth chart changes. Two and "sorry, no more allowed now." Bull. It's sports management sim with a lobotomy. Things are so obviously tagged on with no regard for how they help or hurt the game experience. Bah.
jefflackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 04:37 PM   #1522
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamski47
What is the "Joe Stallings" story? I don't even remember? Wasn't he part of Total Pro Football originally?

The story begins with some sort of twisted triangle between Joe Stallings, .400 Studios and Druez.

1. Druez writes a great review for Total Pro Football while being very critical of FOF. Seemed as though it was simply his opinion.

2. Somehow Druez and Joe get into some sort of back and forth arguement and it then Druez suddenly announces that he was prodded to write the bad review by Joe Stallings. Stallings mentions something about false accusations, but never appears on the board again.

3. Shortly after, .400 Studios lets go of Joe Stallings. It is still speculation, but many believed he was let go because of that and other things he was doing behind the scenes. A number of developers walked away from .400 before the announcement and no one knew why. No one knows if they are connected however since there was never an offical explaination.

4. A lawsuit occurs between the Rahn Family and Joe Stallings since he had part ownership of .400 Studios.

5. Grey Dog Software rose out of the ashes while they let .400 Studios wither away so that Joe Stallings wouldn't earn any more money on the titles from the past.

6. The lawsuit is finally resolved and .400 Studios is no longer in existence. Joe, Arlie and Farrah go their seperate ways.

To this day, no one know the full story, but everyone knows that he used to frequently overhype a game and it is still is question if he was practicing unethical business practices to drop the sales of his competitors.
Old 06-30-2006, 04:38 PM   #1523
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic
I am surprise Gary wasn't this vocal with Maximum Football like he is with Head Coach.

He probably would be if he owned Maximum Football.
Old 06-30-2006, 05:16 PM   #1524
Laddin
Mascot

Okay, since I bought the game, figured I'd stick my 2 cents in.

The more I thought about it after I bought it, before I opened the package, the more I thought it was not going to be a good game. Consoles are made for fast action. The things that a computer aren't so great at. This is instead a game that I expect to sit down and have nothing happen. While I do enjoy the front office aspects of Madden, I buy it for the game.

If I want a sports sim, I turn on the computer, because that is a much better format.
Old 06-30-2006, 05:25 PM   #1525
AgustusM
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefflackey
This is a game that you really, really want to like. That you play in hopes that the flaws will fade away. But it just gets worse the more you play it.

The problem is that you are forced to do things, over and over and over and over, ad nauseum, that are inserted into the game in the guise of "simulation." I'm a serious hard core sports sim and career sim fanatic. But I'd just as soon take the hit in injuries, lack of player development, and the hit on my "work" ethic to keep from having to spend 15 minutes over and over and over and over on drills such as my running back trotting into a defensive back who touches him and then quits. 5 keystrokes (assuming I don't want to give instructions) for each repetition, 10 repetitions. No useful on screen feedback. Boring visual. And you are forced to do totally unrewarding tasks such as this each and every week. Why? So they can check off the "Practice drills! Individual and squad oriented!" feature box. The game is filled with crap like this. OK, let's set up our squad. I want to get a summary report of how my linebackers are doing: LB coach, tell me your assessment of your guys, how they are responding to training, their attitudes, who's getting better, who's getting worse. A side by side listing of their skills. Etc. Uh - no. Instead you get the awkward screens interface. OK, let's make some depth chart changes. Two and "sorry, no more allowed now." Bull. It's sports management sim with a lobotomy. Things are so obviously tagged on with no regard for how they help or hurt the game experience. Bah.

very well put, this is exactly how I feel about this game.

after playing for 50 hours - I have put the game away.
Old 06-30-2006, 06:31 PM   #1526
Flasch186
Coordinator

NFL head coach the TV show...on ESPN right now, i shit you not.

highlights:

Levy - "ability without character will lose."

Question to Coughlin, "how'd you use Free agency to build your franchise" they sure are talking FA a lot if isnt in the game....anyone know yet?

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL

Last edited by Flasch186 : 06-30-2006 at 06:36 PM.
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 06:35 PM   #1527
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186
NFL head coach the TV show...on ESPN right now, i shit you not.

highlights:

LEvy - "ability without character will lose."

I was just about to post this. It's like a giant commerical on ESPN, although the coaches are somewhat interesting and I find myself still watching.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 06:41 PM   #1528
saldana
Pro Starter

so a friend of mine gave me this as a gift for the PS2 this afternoon...i played it for about 90 minutes before i left for work, and now i have spend just as long reading this thread and dont feel like going through the 15 pages i havent gotten to yet, so will someone please just tell me if i should thank my buddy or kick his ass for getting me this game?
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 07:11 PM   #1529
AgustusM
College Prospect

Well, I finally gave up on Head Coach today after over 50+ hours playing and a team that I put together and really liked.

the game simply has too many flaws and takes way too long to play. I fired up Madden coach mode again and the only thing that HC has over Madden coach mode is the camera view and the draft.

the camera view I will miss, but after all that time I only had one draft - it would be weeks until I did another one - AND if the reported FA bug is true, well that pretty much becomes the final nail. How very disappointing.
Old 06-30-2006, 07:14 PM   #1530
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Yep, we get the shaft again.
Old 06-30-2006, 07:29 PM   #1531
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah

Yep

Now the question is do we take a chance with EA Madden 2007 and NCAA 2007?
Old 06-30-2006, 07:30 PM   #1532
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Yep

Now the question is do we take a chance with EA Madden 2007 and NCAA 2007?
Madden and NCAA are completely different games and also very well-established. We know what we're getting with those.
Old 06-30-2006, 07:32 PM   #1533
AgustusM
College Prospect

It is funny because I have said here that what I wanted was FOF with 3D graphics and that IS what I wanted. But I never expected that.

what I expected and would have been absolutely thrilled to have was a more detailed version of Madden coach mode.

keep the core of what Madden did well and add things like the improved draft, improved scouting, broadcast camera. do all that, stop teams from moving to Mexico and make it even remotely realistic and I would have easily paid whatever they wanted to charge for it.

sure that only appeals to a small target market, but this game in its current state doesn't really seem to appeal to any market. the button mashers will never even make it to the game and serious simmers have all but given up.
Old 06-30-2006, 07:39 PM   #1534
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
I've come to the conclusion that for me, the indie developers are the only ones who are going to meet my sports gaming desires any time in the near future, and probably forever. I've tried the Maddens and the MVPs, and they've just not done it for me. I didn't purchase this one, waiting for FOFC's input, and it turns out it was a wise choice. I'll continue to support with my time, input, and/or finances the efforts of Clay, Jim, Gary, Markus, Brian, Arlie, Shaun, and anyone else who endeavors to make a true text sim of the big 3 sports. Warts and all, the fact of the matter is that the guys I just mentioned focus their primary attention on depth, statistical accuracy, and the things that matter to me. Until I get overwhelming positive feedback about a game created from outside the text sim world, I'm done.
Old 06-30-2006, 07:44 PM   #1535
AgustusM
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors
Madden and NCAA are completely different games and also very well-established. We know what we're getting with those.

I have already pre-ordered both and I am cautiously optimistic, but with EA you just never know.

Last year I bought NCAA for xbox and really enjoyed it.

Bought Madden for XBox and PC and thought they were both the best Madden ever (still far from perfect, just better then previous versions)

Then I bought Madden for the 360 and the only reason I never returned it was the time it would take me to do so wasn't worth the 60 bucks. the 360 version of last years Madden was really, really bad - so much was missing and the game was obviously just thrown together to make it for release.

So while I am excited to see both of these games, EA really hasn't proved anything to me yet on the 360 platform.
Old 06-30-2006, 07:48 PM   #1536
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog
I've come to the conclusion that for me, the indie developers are the only ones who are going to meet my sports gaming desires any time in the near future, and probably forever. I've tried the Maddens and the MVPs, and they've just not done it for me. I didn't purchase this one, waiting for FOFC's input, and it turns out it was a wise choice. I'll continue to support with my time, input, and/or finances the efforts of Clay, Jim, Gary, Markus, Brian, Arlie, Shaun, and anyone else who endeavors to make a true text sim of the big 3 sports. Warts and all, the fact of the matter is that the guys I just mentioned focus their primary attention on depth, statistical accuracy, and the things that matter to me. Until I get overwhelming positive feedback about a game created from outside the text sim world, I'm done.

Agreed for sure Ben, but I remember a time when console sport games were so much fun. Maybe I'm getting old and looking for too much in a console graphical game. I do miss something playing only text sims though, that visual element that the FPS series and games like High Heat did for me. Actually seeing my HR hitting rookie come up for the first time in a game and hit a bomb out to RF. Watching my newly acquired CB Deion Sanders pick off a pass and take it 90 yards to the house in a close game. Reading is ok, but I loved that visual aspect.
Old 06-30-2006, 08:01 PM   #1537
AgustusM
College Prospect

Quote:
Agreed for sure Ben, but I remember a time when console sport games were so much fun. Maybe I'm getting old and looking for too much in a console graphical game. I do miss something playing only text sims though, that visual element that the FPS series and games like High Heat did for me. Actually seeing my HR hitting rookie come up for the first time in a game and hit a bomb out to RF. Watching my newly acquired CB Deion Sanders pick off a pass and take it 90 yards to the house in a close game. Reading is ok, but I loved that visual aspect.

I couldn't have said it better myself - this is EXACTLY how I feel.
Old 06-30-2006, 08:11 PM   #1538
Ben E Lou

Quote:
I agree with you to an extent, but I've realized one other thing: the time issue. As you know, I like to see players come into the league, mature, peak, decline and retire. Back when I used to play FBPro, I was single, and I lived alone. There were weekends back then when I would get home from the office in the early afternoon on Friday, and only stop playing for church on Sunday. There were *MANY* weeknights that I played that game from the time I got home until I went to sleep. If I recall, a full game (including the processing afterward) took well over an hour. Last time I played Madden, coaching a full game was also a pretty long process. These days, at that pace, I'd be lucky to complete an entire season and offseason in a month. That's just not as fun for me as going through much more time in a text sim. For that reason, I've given up on PBP. Maybe one day, when I retire, I'll again have the time to go through each play again.
Old 06-30-2006, 08:14 PM   #1539
jbmagic
Pro Starter

I think the biggest problem with Madden and NCAA the last few versions is the sim stats and pancakes problems and the AI draft(Madden).

If it was better, I think I can get into it more.

Last year version of Madden they had the lack of fatigue on sims games. It cause the starters to play majority of the game. Thus inflating the sim stats.
Old 06-30-2006, 08:18 PM   #1540
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
That's just not as fun for me as going through much more time in a text sim. For that reason, I've given up on PBP. Maybe one day, when I retire, I'll again have the time to go through each play again.
Just curious, but do you watch the PBP on FOF? It's weird, but I like seeing the plays happen so I like watching the game on NFL Head Coach. On the other hand, I don't watch the PBP at all on FOF. I fast sim the game and just watch the scoreboard.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 08:23 PM   #1541
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army
Just curious, but do you watch the PBP on FOF? It's weird, but I like seeing the plays happen so I like watching the game on NFL Head Coach. On the other hand, I don't watch the PBP at all on FOF. I fast sim the game and just watch the scoreboard.
No. I sim. I read the PBP in multiplayer, and in the fairly recent past I analyzed a whole bunch of SP PBP for research purposes, but when I'm playing a career, I just sim the game, check the basics of the box score, make depth chart adjustments, and sim the next one. I rarely even change my game plan from week to week in the regular season in SP.
Old 06-30-2006, 08:26 PM   #1542
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:

How do you get into the game and know your players well and league players when you fast sim and don't look at the pbp?
Old 06-30-2006, 08:38 PM   #1543
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I agree with you to an extent, but I've realized one other thing: the time issue. As you know, I like to see players come into the league, mature, peak, decline and retire. Back when I used to play FBPro, I was single, and I lived alone. There were weekends back then when I would get home from the office in the early afternoon on Friday, and only stop playing for church on Sunday. There were *MANY* weeknights that I played that game from the time I got home until I went to sleep. If I recall, a full game (including the processing afterward) took well over an hour. Last time I played Madden, coaching a full game was also a pretty long process. These days, at that pace, I'd be lucky to complete an entire season and offseason in a month. That's just not as fun for me as going through much more time in a text sim. For that reason, I've given up on PBP. Maybe one day, when I retire, I'll again have the time to go through each play again.

Hey, in FPS football you could save a game in progress and come back to it later. It's amazing how great that series was.
Old 06-30-2006, 08:43 PM   #1544
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
No. I sim. I read the PBP in multiplayer, and in the fairly recent past I analyzed a whole bunch of SP PBP for research purposes, but when I'm playing a career, I just sim the game, check the basics of the box score, make depth chart adjustments, and sim the next one. I rarely even change my game plan from week to week in the regular season in SP.
Interesting. I just make defensive changes from week to week in SP. Offensively, I'll only make changes if someone is hurt.
Old 06-30-2006, 08:43 PM   #1545
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:

I think this is a HUGE point for me and the main reason that I have not bought Head Coach...

It sounds like I'd like it, but it's just not a game I have TIME for.. and I don't mean the tedious stuff, I mean coaching the games... part of the reason that I play FOF is such little dedicated time is required, you can move quickly if you want...

I used to play Madden HARD core... I probably would play 12 hours at a time sometimes, often with buddies, etc.. going through many seasons playing every game...

Last year, I played not a single season of Madden and maybe 3 or 4 of NCAA, with quick simming some of the games... I just don't have the time anymore...

The more and more I realize it.. If the "next FPS" came out... the only thing I'd use it for would be MP if you could "replay" the games so I could watch them while doing other work.. Otherwise, I don't know that the rest appeals to me from a time management perspective...

Quote:
Old 06-30-2006, 08:44 PM   #1546
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
How do you get into the game and know your players well and league players when you fast sim and don't look at the pbp?
Well, it usually takes me about 2 hours to play an entire season. I also keep a spreadsheet with my starter's abilities and stats of every year in my SP franchise.
Old 06-30-2006, 09:09 PM   #1547
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:

Quote:
Well, it usually takes me about 2 hours to play an entire season. I also keep a spreadsheet with my starter's abilities and stats of every year in my SP franchise.

That's pretty much how I play and how I've palyed since the first FOF. I think it's fair to say that you DO lose focus and immersion in the entire league, but (for me at least) this style of play is more about watching your team and players progress over their careers rather than following the details of a single season. This kind of 'fast play' allows you to play many more seasons with many more players, so I saccrifice focus on the rest of the league in favor of building a history and records and such for my team, which is actually MORE immersive for me. It speaks well for FOF that it can support so many different play styles....especially compared to the complaints of how entirely rigid Head Coach sounds.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 09:16 PM   #1548
Buccaneer
Head Coach

In FBCB, I sim a month at a time during the OOC part and then a week at a time during the Conf part. In OOTP, I sim a month at time. I rarely look at box scores and never ever at logs. The goal, for me, in playing these games is to have players come in to the league, watch them mature, peak and decline and then look back a remember the good players and teams. In pro games, all of the fun is in contracts, trading, free agency and drafting and in the college games, recruiting. That's just a different way of playing. You definitely don't need to look at box scores and esp. pbp to see who's good and who's not. Just trust the game that it will take care of the details for you.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 09:48 PM   #1549
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer
In FBCB, I sim a month at a time during the OOC part and then a week at a time during the Conf part. In OOTP, I sim a month at time. I rarely look at box scores and never ever at logs. The goal, for me, in playing these games is to have players come in to the league, watch them mature, peak and decline and then look back a remember the good players and teams. In pro games, all of the fun is in contracts, trading, free agency and drafting and in the college games, recruiting. That's just a different way of playing. You definitely don't need to look at box scores and esp. pbp to see who's good and who's not. Just trust the game that it will take care of the details for you.
Just to add an opinion to this discussion, I'm with you here. I like building a team and then getting through the seasons to see how my team does. I have no interest in game logs. Box scores are nice in basketball and football, but box scores in a baseball game do nothing for me.

As much as I love the concept of being able to coach each game, I only do it at first for the novelty. After that, I'd much rather sim through or even watch the CPU run the game for me. When I played Earl Weaver Baseball, oh, maybe 12 years ago, I just created the MLB teams and then watched the computer play. I wouldn't really want to do that now, but if I was actually running a team in the game, I'd like to just watch occasionally. Most of the time, though, I just want to run through a few games really quickly and see how my team compares to all the others.

For the record, I think Total Pro Basketball is damn near perfect for that. NHL Eastside Hockey Manager is very good in that respect, also, although there's no option to watch your own team play. It's great for simming through several games at a time with minimal changes, though.

The only game that I really enjoy any type of micromanaging in is Worldwide Soccer Manager. Even then, I really only know the players on my team. I don't look at the stats or even the standings to keep up with the best players and teams in my division. I just want to know what I have to do to keep my team successful.

I wasn't always this way, but I think this is going to be my attitude about sports games from now on.
Old 06-30-2006, 10:14 PM   #1550
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I agree about TPB. By far THE easiest game to get your team together and then just sit back and watch them play or sim weeks at a time. It's the ONLY Pro basketball game that I've ever been addicted to.