Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-24-2007, 08:36 PM   #1501
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Y'know, VKM may indeed be the Devil himself but the stuff they do with the troops overseas is praiseworthy.

edit to add: Kind of funny to see the commanding General of the area getting into the show a little bit too.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 12-24-2007 at 09:19 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 08:59 PM   #1502
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

Furthermore, when they put all that star power out to build the main event during the same show (the 12/6 iMPACT!); Samoa Joe, Nash, Booker T, Young & Kaz vs. Kurt Angle, Christian, AJ Styles, Tomko & Roode, it drew a pretty good 1.16 quarter hour rating. However, the main event later in the show featuring all that talent drew a lackluster 0.97 rating. Additionally, the ladder match featuring Team 3D vs. Alex Shelley, Chris Sabin & Jay Lethal lost 248,000 viewers. And a match between Christopher Daniels & Senshi lost 234,000 viewers.

I wonder (and maybe i'm giving the fans too much credit) to what extent this reflects the old "no matter how much starpower they put in the Main Event it will have a screwjob ending / be unsatisfying" mentality that I as well as any of my friends that used to watch wrestling had as far back as 1998/1999?? Maybe we were a minority of fans, but TV show undercard matches were always more appealing because they'd let the guys wrestle without 80,000 run-in's.

Dating mysel here, but I would MUCH rather have watched Rey Mysterio jr. vs. Psicosis on the undercard than Hogan vs. Sting in the Main Event.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 09:15 PM   #1503
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I think there's probably some of that happening but in TNA's case I really believe that it's more a reflection on how bad the booking has been for more than a year now. Basically to the point that even the regular viewers (heck maybe especially the regular viewers) have reached the point of expecting to see things screwed up. Which means that you can watch the early part of the show to keep track of the storyline but that the matches themselves aren't really required viewing.
Old 12-24-2007, 09:50 PM   #1504
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Meanwhile, at the risk (I guess) of the tiniest bit of social commentary ...
I think DX sparking the first U-S-A chant of the night kind of says a lot about where we are these days

(although I kind of wonder how many of the people in uniform in Iraq really remember the DX heyday clearly)
Old 12-24-2007, 10:04 PM   #1505
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I think there's probably some of that happening but in TNA's case I really believe that it's more a reflection on how bad the booking has been for more than a year now. Basically to the point that even the regular viewers (heck maybe especially the regular viewers) have reached the point of expecting to see things screwed up. Which means that you can watch the early part of the show to keep track of the storyline but that the matches themselves aren't really required viewing.

so you're pretty much agreeing with me then?
Old 12-24-2007, 10:14 PM   #1506
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
so you're pretty much agreeing with me then?

Heh, yeah I guess so, although my post didn't exactly start out that way in my head

The difference being that I'm not sure we can even look forward to the good stuff that happened with the WCW cruiserweight division since TNA has managed as often as not to screw up those too. Now, if we get something really good, it seems like it's as much by accident as anything.
Old 12-24-2007, 11:01 PM   #1507
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

can't say that I watch enough TNA to be able to agree or disagree.

oh, just came across this series of interviews as my youtubing led me to them

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbBgxUEWu4s

it's a 5-part (50 minute or so) interview with Kevin Nash by rfvideo.com
Old 12-27-2007, 07:13 PM   #1508
Schmidty
Coordinator

I just watched the Christmas RAW, and I thought it was very touching. I guess I'm a rube. Not cynical enough according to my friends.

Oh well.
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 09:57 PM   #1509
DeToxRox
Head Coach

hxxp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12wRbugqgGY

NSFW AT ALL

This is the most surreal thing ever. From the shoot interview with New Jack, Iron Shiek and The Honkey Tonk Man (Yes you read it right), they discuss Chris Benoit. Unreal.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 07:40 AM   #1510
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

FWIW, that's some *classic* Iron Sheik right there. That dude is bonkers.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 06:43 PM   #1511
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

For those who haven't heard, Maria is posing in Playboy.

Happy New Year!
Old 01-04-2008, 12:08 AM   #1512
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Noooooooooooooooo.

Her biggest appeal was that we actually haven't seen her boobies.

Last edited by Neon_Chaos : 01-04-2008 at 12:08 AM.
Neon_Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 06:51 AM   #1513
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
Her biggest appeal was that we actually haven't seen her boobies.
Er.....Ummmm...

appeal...no boobies...appeal...

erg...ack...

DOES NOT COMPUTE
Old 01-04-2008, 10:23 AM   #1514
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

does she have fakies? i dont recall her having a huge fake set on her
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 11:03 AM   #1515
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletsponge View Post
does she have fakies? i dont recall her having a huge fake set on her

I don't think she's ever had 'em done.
Old 01-04-2008, 11:05 AM   #1516
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
Er.....Ummmm...

appeal...no boobies...appeal...

erg...ack...

DOES NOT COMPUTE

It's better to leave things to the imagination sometimes.
Old 01-06-2008, 08:28 AM   #1517
wade moore
lolzcat

FYI - I hxxp'd.. not because of the images, but because of the site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 01:07 PM   #1519
AZSpeechCoach
College Prospect

Not working

Visit Stewart the Wonderbear and his amazing travels
http://wonderbeartravel.blogspot.com
AZSpeechCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 01:20 PM   #1520
Terps
College Prospect

Did you change the hxxp to http? Working for me.
Terps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 01:23 PM   #1521
AZSpeechCoach
College Prospect

I guess it doesn't like cutting and pasting

Edit: Okay...I'm just getting random pictures of women. No script.

Visit Stewart the Wonderbear and his amazing travels
http://wonderbeartravel.blogspot.com

Last edited by AZSpeechCoach : 01-06-2008 at 01:25 PM.
AZSpeechCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 01:34 PM   #1522
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZSpeechCoach View Post
I guess it doesn't like cutting and pasting

Edit: Okay...I'm just getting random pictures of women. No script.
Yep - same here - not sure what a photo of Christina Ricci has to do with Arn Anderson, but I guess you can use your imagination
Old 01-06-2008, 01:48 PM   #1523
Terps
College Prospect

Terps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 04:22 PM   #1524
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

That's pretty cool, but so far after the fact, couldn't that just be a recap someone wrote to look like a run sheet?
Old 01-06-2008, 07:47 PM   #1525
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Awesome Kong = best TNA hire since Christian

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 01-06-2008 at 07:47 PM.
Old 01-12-2008, 12:52 PM   #1527
molson
General Manager

Wrestling Observer says the Big Show is back, and is ready to go right now.

I'm guessing he'll be a surprise entrant in the Royal Rumble. After pushing Jericho's return for months, hopefully they've learned their lesson and he'll just show up.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 09:23 PM   #1528
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

"why buy the cow when you have someone let you milk them for free?" Santino is pretty funny
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 09:25 PM   #1529
Joe
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletsponge View Post
"why buy the cow when you have someone let you milk them for free?" Santino is pretty funny

well he screwed up that saying. he should have said why buy the cow when you can have the sex for free.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 09:26 PM   #1530
Joe
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Wrestling Observer says the Big Show is back, and is ready to go right now.

I'm guessing he'll be a surprise entrant in the Royal Rumble. After pushing Jericho's return for months, hopefully they've learned their lesson and he'll just show up.

I'd hold off on him until after the rumble. It might just make him look weak since he obviously wouldn't win it.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 05:14 PM   #1531
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I had almost forgotten about this but ...

New reality series premieres tonight at 9pm & 930pm on TLC The Bussey Bunch.
It follows a family-owned indy promotion in Texas, PCW, or more precisely it follows the family that owns it. Apparently Lance Hoyt was a regular there & will appear in some episodes.

http://www.thebusseybunch.com/
http://www.busseybunch.com/
http://www.pcwwrestling.com/
Old 01-23-2008, 01:59 PM   #1532
molson
General Manager

I don't think anyone saw this one coming - Bobby Lashley is either gone from the WWE, or is publically trying to get out of his contract on his personal website, according to PWInsider:

"Former ECW champion Bobby Lashley, who was expected to return from his injuries this month, has parted ways with World Wrestling Entertainment, according to Lashley's official website.

Lashley, who debuted with the Smackdown brand in 2005, moved to the ECW brand in December 2006 with the idea that the brand would be built around him. He received a huge promotional push and won the ECW belt at the December to Dismember PPV.

WWE's push continued featuring Lashley going right a Wrestlemania 23 headline match against Umaga with Donald Trump and Vince McMahon as their respective seconds which was promoted heavily to the media due to Trump's involvement and the hair vs. hair stipulation that saw McMahon shaved bald in the center of the ring.

On the forum of his official website, www.BobbyLashleyOnline.com, Lashley commented, "Circumstances, which are out of my control left me no decision but to leave the WWE. I can't go into details of this now but like I said before, sometimes people will hate you personally and try to destroy you, which has happened here. Evil has prevailed. However like I said before, if you continue your struggle, doors will open around these people. You have not seen the last of me, so please don't stop your support. Add Bobby Lashley to the list of RECENTLY RELEASED!"

Lashley teased a potential MMA interest on 1/16, writing, "I am not sure what I will be doing the next few months. I said I am in fighting shape because if I am not wrestling, I will be fighting. Wrestling is my passion but sometimes things are out of your control. The time off I've had was well needed and was not in vain. I had surgery in August, which was pretty serious. I had to have 5 connectors put in my shoulder to repair my torn labrum. I was slated to be out for 6 months but I think that diagnosis was for an average person. I’m ready for action and I have been for some time now. Whatever action that may be, I will be ready."

Lashley noted that he had just purchased a home in Parker, Colorado and that he expected WWE to acknowledge the release by the end of the week. Word of his departure made its way around the WWE locker room at tonight's Smackdown and ECW taping. As of this writing, he is still listed on the Raw brand's roster page."
Old 01-23-2008, 07:38 PM   #1533
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Just a reminder (since I apparently forgot & missed the premiere last week myself), the NWA now has a national television show of sorts ...
NWA Showcase airs Wednesday nights at 9p eastern on ColorsTV (ch.9407) on Dish Network.

In the first episode last week:
-- TJ Perkins (aka Puma) d. Ikuto Hidaka
-- NWA World Tag Champs "The Real American Heroes" Karl Anderson & Joey Ryan run in & attack Perkins, but Los Luchas (Zokre & Phoenix Star) make the save, only to be taken care of themselves by NWA World Champ Adam Pearce
-- Anderson & Ryan d. Los Luchas in an "NWA Flag Match". Bad guys retain with help from both their evil manager & the world champ
-- Ricky Vega (aka "Machete") squashes Cassidy O'Brien
-- Main Event (and no, I'm not making this up, remember what network we're on here): El Hijo del Santo & Rey Mysterio, Sr d. Blue Demon, Jr. & Nicho (aka Psicosis) when Demon low blows Rey Sr & gets the pin.

Tonight is supposed to be The Young Bucks (Nick & Matt Jackson) vs Black Tiger IV(aka Rocky Romero) & Cobra 2, Sean Denny vs Bryan Danielson, and Adam Pearce vs X-Pac (aka the man for whom "X-Pac heat" was named)

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 01-23-2008 at 07:47 PM.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:35 PM   #1534
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Good grief, this NWA program is really bad.

It looks like it was shot with a handy cam, the commentary is extremely weak, they seem to have no idea what to do in terms of pacing for the show. The gap between the (hypothetical) best of the NWA versus ROH seems enormous.

LMAO ... my son has been looking forward to this for months & is sitting here pretty stupified by how bad this has been but while I'm typing he just hit the line of the night so far. In this incredibly flat dry voice he says "oh good ... it's steroid-induced announcer Rob Conway". Guess you had to be there, but it was pretty funny live.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:41 PM   #1535
PilotMan
Head Coach

Last night on ESPN Classic (I think it was classic) they showed some UWF matches from god knows when. Bob Orton, Cactus Jack, Don Muraco. It was pretty good stuff. Looked like they were filming it in some hotel ballroom.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 07:47 PM   #1536
miami_fan
Coordinator

For those that are interested

http://www.miamiherald.com/675/story/390731.html

Quote:
BY DORY FUNK JR.
For The Miami Herald
My final match in wrestling will occur Saturday, March 1 at Sumo Hall In Tokyo. It will be as real and memorable as Feb. 11, 1969, the day that changed my life forever, when I won the NWA title from Gene Kiniski.

My thanks to Keiji Mutoh, president of All Japan Pro Wrestling (and also known as Great Muta in WCW), for hosting my final wrestling match. I would also like to thank the wrestling fans in Japan who have remained with me for so long and have never forgotten the good times we shared.

I have so many memories of wrestling in Japan including my first overseas defense of the NWA title in December 1969 against Antonio Inoki that went to a one-hour draw and a second match against Mr. Inoki that also went to a one-hour draw. A third match was scheduled in 1972. However Mr. Inoki chose to leave the company rather than face me for the NWA title. He started his own company, New Japan Pro Wrestling, leaving me to face Seiji Sakaguchi.

In 1973, Giant Baba formed his own company, All Japan Pro Wrestling. His associate for booking of American wrestling talent was my father, Dory Funk Sr. Mr. Baba sent his prize recruit, Japanese national champion and Olympic amateur wrestler Jumbo Tsuruta, to Amarillo, Texas for training in professional wrestling.

Tsuruta became one of my best students, returning to All Japan Pro Wrestling as one of its greatest stars.

I have memories of famous wrestling matches in Japan including Giant Baba, Jumbo Tsuruta, Genichiro Tendryu, Jack Brisco, Billy Robinson and Rob Van Dam. Also, Terry (Funk) and myself against Abdullah the Butcher and the Original Sheik on the way to becoming three-time Real World League tag team champs.

I also will never forget All Japan Pro Wrestling's 20th anniversary six-man tag team main event as Giant Baba, Stan Hansen and myself faced Jumbo Tsuruta, Terry Gordy and Andre the Giant in what would be Andre the Giant's last match.

Now comes the 35th anniversary of All Japan Pro Wrestling. Masanobu Fuchi, one of my students, is the only wrestler who has been with the company from the beginning.

Osamu Nishimura, originally trained by the late, great Hiro Matsuda, came to the Funking Conservatory, where I train wrestlers, after Matsuda passed away. Nishimura asked that I be his teacher. He will be my partner in many of my matches on my last Japan tour, leading to my final match at Sumo Hall.

My final wrestling match on Saturday, March 1 will mark the end of 67 years of the name Funk performing in the ring as a professional wrestler. However, for me, March 1, 2008 will mark a new beginning. My wife, Marti, and I will devote full-time to the training of professional wrestlers, the stars of the future.

• Dory Funk Jr. is a wrestling legend who trains wrestlers and runs shows at the Funking Conservatory in Ocala, Fla.

The next taping of !BANG! TV comes to the Funking Conservatory at 7 p.m. Sunday, Jan. 27. Tickets to the show, training schedules and information on the upcoming Japan tour are available at dory-funk.com or call 352-895-4658.

"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 09:15 PM   #1537
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Okay, TNA is gonna get some heat for the new Shark Boy gimmick but to tell you the truth, I thought it was pretty funny. It'll get old pretty quick I imagine but still, it made me laugh (as opposed to the dismal sketches last week to set all this up).

Meanwhile, Curry Man made his TNA debut at this week's tapings but looking at the pictures linked from here I don't believe that's Daniels doing the gimmick at the moment. Check out the hair visible under the edge of the mask. My first thought was Sabin but I think my son was right when he said the eyes didn't look like him either so ... any ideas who is under the mask?
Old 01-25-2008, 07:55 AM   #1538
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Well, Daniels shaves his head, so he certainly *could* have grown some hair...

Regardless, it's goofy enough to be entertaining so long as the guy can work a little, and it seemed that he could last night.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:46 AM   #1539
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
Well, Daniels shaves his head, so he certainly *could* have grown some hair...

Yeah, but unless he's using that stuff Bugs Bunny put on Elmer Fudd, I don't think he could grown that much length in the relatively short time he's been off television.

Quote:
Regardless, it's goofy enough to be entertaining so long as the guy can work a little, and it seemed that he could last night.

Oh it was the highlight of the show for us here (or was supposed to be) being big fans of Daniels & knowing how much he's used the gimmick elsewhere & all.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:43 PM   #1540
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Royal Rumble spoiler .. Unreal.

Spoiler

Last edited by DeToxRox : 01-27-2008 at 09:44 PM.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:45 PM   #1541
DeToxRox
Head Coach

AND #30 WINS! WOW
Old 01-27-2008, 09:51 PM   #1542
Jas_lov
College Starter

Damn it. I was hoping they'd give Hornswoggle the title shot that he deserves.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 09:53 PM   #1543
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Spoiler

Last edited by DeToxRox : 01-27-2008 at 09:53 PM.
Old 01-27-2008, 10:03 PM   #1544
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
Damn it. I was hoping they'd give Hornswoggle the title shot that he deserves.

Eh, even if he got the shot & won, everybody knows it would be a short title run.
Old 01-27-2008, 11:43 PM   #1545
PilotMan
Head Coach

It's too bad, he came up just short.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 01:14 AM   #1546
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Wow. Just. Wow.

Oh well.
Old 01-28-2008, 01:33 AM   #1547
molson
General Manager

Stealing this thought from another board, but I loved how Cena got a GIGANTIC pop, until the NYC fans realized they were supposed to be all smarky and boo him.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:30 PM   #1548
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

from tnawrestlingnews.com

After one week, TLC has cancelled "The Bussey Bunch," a reality show on a family running the PCW Wrestling independent promotion out of Arlington, Texas. Last night's originally scheduled episode didn't air last night because TLC had already cancelled the program. The debut episodes of "The Bussey Bunch" on TLC scored ratings of 0.25 and a 0.26 for the 9:00 p.m. and 9:30 p.m. showings. TNA star Lance Hoyt appeared on the show as that's his main indy promotion besides TNA.
Old 01-31-2008, 08:50 AM   #1549
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Soo... Cena suffers a torn pec, recovers four months early, and comes back just as big as he was before, and we're all OK with this?

I'll go along with it, just let me know.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:23 AM   #1550
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
Soo... Cena suffers a torn pec, recovers four months early, and comes back just as big as he was before, and we're all OK with this?

I'll go along with it, just let me know.

Actually he recoved 9 months early because he chose a riskier procedure. How did you expect him to come back? He is there number one draw.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote