Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: Who will take the White House?
Obama 151 68.95%
McCain 63 28.77%
Surprise? (Maybe Mr. Trout?) 5 2.28%
Voters: 219. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-27-2008, 11:07 PM   #1501
SFL Cat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
All of this from a press release from the Barr camp? Not one mention in the MSM? No way this happens.

Methinks wishful thinking from the Barr people.
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 11:30 PM   #1502
sabotai
General Manager

I think Bush missed the deadlines for one of the 2004 battleground states but still ended up on the ballot. Election laws in this country are just loose guidelines anyway.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 12:28 AM   #1503
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Seems reasonable that both political candidates would have missed the deadlines in Texas and Barr will be the only name on the ballot. I mean, Obama and McCain probably only have around 2000 staffers each with the sole responsibility to make sure that happens. I could easily see all 4000+ of them, each campaign and the state officials completely spacing on that. This MUST be true - I mean Bob Barr sent out a memo ...
Old 08-28-2008, 12:33 AM   #1504
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
I think Bush missed the deadlines for one of the 2004 battleground states but still ended up on the ballot. Election laws in this country are just loose guidelines anyway.

If you have a D or an R after your name.

If you don't, well.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 01:10 AM   #1505
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Even if Barr is the only person on the ballot, he's not going to win Texas. McCain would still win, but I'd feel bad for the people counting all those write-in votes.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 06:45 AM   #1506
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
I have no doubt that i'm intellectually superior to the vast majority of my peers. Whether my political affiliation is the same as yours or not does not reflect at all on my intelligence (or yours for that matter).

Right, your political affiliation has no bearing on your intelligence, so it was funny that you had to spill the beans on how smart you are right after your emotional swell of support for a DNC convention speech that spoke to it's large constiuancy of supporters, which happen to number you among them.

Quote:
I think it's fairly commonly accepted on both sides of the aisle that Bill Clinton is a VASTLY superior public speaker to George Bush. That's not a partisan viewpoint, it's fact.

Bill Clinton could do more with a lie than George Bush ever could with the truth, I'll give you that.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 06:55 AM   #1507
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Even if Barr is the only person on the ballot, he's not going to win Texas.

What's the phrase I'm looking for, something about finishing third in a two-horse race

Barr is so irrelevant I'm not even sure he beats McKinney.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 08-28-2008 at 06:55 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 06:59 AM   #1508
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFL Cat View Post
dola ... maybe its not a Greek temple...maybe its a facsimile of the White House...to go with the faux presidential seal he used on his overseas trip.

It's supposed to create the imagery of MLK Jr. making his 'I Have A Dream' speech in front of the Lincoln Memorial 45 years ago today. I'm not too sure how well that's going to work, especially given the rockstar stereotype.

***waiting for "Well, I knew MLK Jr., and you sir, are no MLK Jr." response.***
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 07:23 AM   #1509
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

In an attempt to get the thread a bit more back on topic, I thought Clinton's speech was nothing special from a content standpoint, but he always does a good job in regards to presentation.

I've always liked Biden as a person. The personal portion of his speech was very good, but the political content was pretty pedestrian in nature. I did find it ironic that he would blast McCain for being wrong about the Iraq vote when he made the exact same 'Yea' vote. Overall, Biden did a good job and played the role of attack dog well. On a sidenote, someone needs to tell the Democrats that they can stop with the 'McCain is a friend and he served the country honorably.....' comments that are followed by attacks. It comes across as relatively hollow and it does nothing more than give him more exposure.

I'm not too sure that Obama showing up really added all that much. He stumbled over his words twice in the span of just a few comments, which highlighted what many perceive to be his weakness. The above 'wrestler with a mic' comment was pretty accurate. I was waiting for the 'If you smell what Barack is cooking!' line. He's a very good speaker when he's got the speech on teleprompters ready to go, but when the debates start, he needs to handle himself better than he has in past debates where rehearsal is not an option.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:32 AM   #1510
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Well, isn't this interesting? The Republicans have included the following phrasing in their party platform to be approved next week........

Quote:
“Millions of Americans suffer from problem or pathological gambling that can destroy families. We support legislation prohibiting gambling over the Internet or in student athletics by student athletes who are participating in competitive sports.”

Yeah, I'm none too happy about that.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:37 AM   #1511
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

If you outlaw the poker chips, only outlaws will have poker chips!

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 07:43 AM   #1512
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyroofoo View Post
Hilarious if this is true and holds up.
Also a complete blow to McCain.

Barr Only Presidential Candidate on Texas Ballot — Bob Barr 2008

Neither the Democrats or the Republicans had officially nominated a candidate by the deadline on which Barr is focusing.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 07:45 AM   #1513
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
If you outlaw the poker chips, only outlaws will have poker chips!

These kinds of issues are where my moderate conservative leanings and the religious right moral idiots collide. I really don't need them to save me from my gambling addiction. I'm doing just fine taking money from the other players.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:47 AM   #1514
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Neither the Democrats or the Republicans had officially nominated a candidate by the deadline on which Barr is focusing.

There's not a chance on God's green Earth than any less than three candidates will be on that ballot.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:54 AM   #1515
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
These kinds of issues are where my moderate conservative leanings and the religious right moral idiots collide. I really don't need them to save me from my gambling addiction. I'm doing just fine taking money from the other players.

And the Democrats are against the bill because people with money are dangerous to the New State.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 08:00 AM   #1516
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Yeah, gambling is the area where the worst of the right and the worst of the left can find common ground. Lefties hate it because they think that poor people need to be protected from themselves. Righties hate it because teh bible says gamblin is teh devil.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:19 AM   #1517
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Yeah, gambling is the area where the worst of the right and the worst of the left can find common ground. Lefties hate it because they think that poor people need to be protected from themselves. Righties hate it because teh bible says gamblin is teh devil.

Add prostitution and the war on drugs and I am in complete agreement.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 10:14 AM   #1518
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
On a sidenote, someone needs to tell the Democrats that they can stop with the 'McCain is a friend and he served the country honorably.....' comments that are followed by attacks. It comes across as relatively hollow and it does nothing more than give him more exposure.

Well, that's the first time all thread that I've agreed with you.

I'll be back in a sec - going to check on the current temperature in Hell.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 10:20 AM   #1519
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Evidently the Texas Sec. of State has said that the Dem and Repubs have filed the paperwork, but left off the names pending filing an amended document once the nomination process is complete.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 10:23 AM   #1520
Fighter of Foo
College Prospect

Quote:
'

Let's include our military adventures too. Lefties like "nation building" and "spreading democracy." Righties like to "Get tuff" and "spread Christianity."

As if invading or bombing other countries accomplishes any of that.
Fighter of Foo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 10:27 AM   #1521
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
I'll be back in a sec - going to check on the current temperature in Hell.

According to the Weather Channel, the temperature at the Temple of Obama should be 65 degrees when the worshippers convene later tonight. Perfect toga weather!

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 08-28-2008 at 10:27 AM.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:34 AM   #1522
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Is it too academic of me to point out that the Greeks didn't wear togas?
Old 08-28-2008, 10:48 AM   #1523
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
“Millions of Americans suffer from problem or pathological gambling that can destroy families. We support legislation prohibiting gambling over the Internet or in student athletics by student athletes who are participating in competitive sports.”

It is illegal by the NCAA to gamble on anything if you are a student athlete. I remember in school my freshman year we had a talk by our AD about it.

I'm not blind to think it isn't done and the NCAA really doesn't enforce it.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 11:21 AM   #1524
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Is it too academic of me to point out that the Greeks didn't wear togas?

You obviously haven't seen 'Animal House'.
Old 08-28-2008, 11:28 AM   #1525
larrymcg421
Head Coach

www.electoral-vote.com

CO: McCain 47-46
FL: Obama 45-44
NM: Obama 53-40
NV: Obama 49-44
OH: Tied 40-40
PA: Obama 48-43
RI: Obama 51-30

The New Mexico and Nevada numbers are very good news for Obama.

Old 08-28-2008, 11:38 AM   #1526
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Kerry had a similar lead in 04 at this time in the race in NM. Same with Nevada. He lost them both in the end.

Last edited by Dr. Sak : 08-28-2008 at 11:39 AM.
Old 08-28-2008, 11:49 AM   #1527
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
Kerry had a similar lead in 04 at this time in the race in NM. Same with Nevada. He lost them both in the end.

Sure, if a 6 point lead is the same as a 13 point lead and a 5 point lead is the same as a 2 point lead.

Also, Bush had a 4 pt lead in Wisconsin at this point last election and ended up losing.

Old 08-28-2008, 11:57 AM   #1528
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I don't think those polls are very predictive, but I do see it more likely that instead of flipping Ohio or Florida the road to the White House for Obama will mean flipping Iowa, New Mexico and Colorado.
Old 08-28-2008, 11:57 AM   #1529
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Sure, if a 6 point lead is the same as a 13 point lead and a 5 point lead is the same as a 2 point lead.

Also, Bush had a 4 pt lead in Wisconsin at this point last election and ended up losing.

What I am trying to say is that it is way to early to get all excited about any lead less than 10 points. But good job throwing the Bush loss in the way you did. There's a lot of margin for error and a lot of time to go. Now I realize why I don't respond to your posts anymore. I won't make that mistake again.

I took the numbers from the map which is showing a 9pt lead in NM, and a 3 pt lead in NV.

Last edited by Dr. Sak : 08-28-2008 at 11:58 AM.
Old 08-28-2008, 12:09 PM   #1530
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
What I am trying to say is that it is way to early to get all excited about any lead less than 10 points.

How is it getting "all excited" to say it is good news for Obama to be ahead in those two states? And he has a greater than 10 pt lead in one of the states you responded to me about. I mean, it's obviously good news.

Quote:
But good job throwing the Bush loss in the way you did. There's a lot of margin for error and a lot of time to go. Now I realize why I don't respond to your posts anymore. I won't make that mistake again.

I was simply making the point that the current numbers could go either way.

Old 08-28-2008, 12:40 PM   #1531
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

The latest Gallup tracking poll is starting to show the type of bounce that we expected to see from the Democratic convention.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 12:52 PM   #1532
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 12:55 PM   #1533
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

For those of you comparing polls to 2004, remember that the dates of the conventions are different from that year, so head-to-head dates probably won't be all that good from a comparison standpoint until both conventions are done.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 12:57 PM   #1534
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Vic View Post
The latest Gallup tracking poll is starting to show the type of bounce that we expected to see from the Democratic convention.

It's interesting that they're still going to use the weekend numbers for the official bounce. I guess they need to stay consistent, but McCain's VP choice will complicate the validity of those numbers. I don't think we'll be able to have as clear of a picture with so many major events happening on top of each other.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:10 PM   #1535
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Geez, rough week for Hillary............

Quote:
Hillary in Elevator Mishap*
August 28, 2008 12:44 AM

DENVER, Colo. -- Sen. Hillary Clinton, D-N.Y., was already not having the Democratic National Convention that she'd been hoping for, her and her husband's well-received speeches notwithstanding.

Then it got worse.

After Wednesday night's festivities ended, there was a minor elevator mishap at the Pepsi Center that involved Clinton, sources tell ABC News.

Apparently, the elevator got stuck between floors, stranding Sen. Clinton and others for several minutes. For about five minutes inside the elevator it was "hectic" and not a little claustrophobic -- the elevator was over-packed, which is why it stopped, a source says. The doors needed to be pushed open and some of those in the elevator -- a couple Secret Service agents -- needed to be lifted and squeezed out in order for it to start moving again.

Clinton was seen leaving the scene looking a tad shell-shocked, but an aide says, "She's fine."

- jpt
Old 08-28-2008, 01:13 PM   #1536
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

This should be interesting:

Quote:
UNDATED (AP) John McCain's campaign says it plans to air a new ad that will run in battleground states tonight around the time of Obama's address. A McCain spokesman says the ad will feature the Republican looking into the camera and speaking as if he's talking directly to Obama.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:35 PM   #1537
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Clinton was seen leaving the scene looking a tad shell-shocked, but an aide says, "She's fine."
I feel worse for the people in there with her.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 01:54 PM   #1538
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
This should be interesting:

I hope that he challenges Obama to throw down and then the camera pans back to reveal Chuck Norris, Brett Favre, and CGI John Wayne standing behind him looking tough.

That would take the buzz away from Obama's speech. And be pretty awesome.
Old 08-28-2008, 02:21 PM   #1539
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Well, isn't this interesting? The Republicans have included the following phrasing in their party platform to be approved next week........

Yeah, I'm none too happy about that.

So I take it they'll be working towards putting an end to state run lotteries then.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 02:33 PM   #1540
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:

I have no idea why Christians think gambling is immoral since the bible doesn't really say anything about it. I guess you could say that gambling is an extension of greed, and therefore a sin, but if you are going to stretch greed that far to cover gambling, why are people in the "religious right" capitalists?
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 02:38 PM   #1541
molson
General Manager

Quote:
I have no idea why Christians think gambling is immoral since the bible doesn't really say anything about it. I guess you could say that gambling is an extension of greed, and therefore a sin, but if you are going to stretch greed that far to cover gambling, why are people in the "religious right" capitalists?

I don't think Christians consider gambling immoral.

I don't really know why Republicans are against internet gambling, but it seems both sides are.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 02:40 PM   #1542
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

In the Bible it actually depicts many different times when people "Casted Lots" for various purposes. As far as I am aware, it never says anywhere that Gambling directly is a sin or wrong or evil. My guess is it is people's connection from Love of Money being wrong, and putting money before God being wrong then tying that to people who gamble for the love of money committing a sin.

(note, I am just answering a question as best as I can and not saying what is right or wrong or even giving my opinion or belief on the matter!)

Old 08-28-2008, 02:58 PM   #1543
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
note, I am just answering a question as best as I can and not saying what is right or wrong or even giving my opinion or belief on the matter!)

Oh, you're not getting out of it that easy. This is an FOFC thread. You shall certainly be flamed for daring to presume what is right or wrong in a manner that completely offends people who do or do not do that type of thing, and you will learn to be less presumptuous next time!

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 08-28-2008 at 03:02 PM.
Old 08-28-2008, 03:07 PM   #1544
Rizon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I don't think Christians consider gambling immoral.

I don't really know why Republicans are against internet gambling, but it seems both sides are.

Republicans are just against the internet period, because a Democrat invented it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 03:08 PM   #1545
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Oh, you're not getting out of it that easy. This is an FOFC thread. You shall certainly be flamed for daring to presume what is right or wrong in a manner that completely offends people who do or do not do that type of thing, and you will learn to be less presumptuous next time!

Haha, I actually started making that disclaimer on any politics or religion discussion that I took part in long before FOFC, especially when I wasn't arguing my point but instead just responding to a question.

I remember back in the early 1990s, I was a regular on a BBS hosted at University of Iowa that had some real doozies of discussions that would turn into pretty bad flame wars anytime it dealt with religion and politics.

Old 08-28-2008, 03:13 PM   #1546
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Not an expert here either, but I think the idea of gambling for Christians is a slippery slope. There are many families that have lose everything because of gambling. Therefore, gambling = nothing really good can come of it, so don't even open the Pandora's box.

Frankly, however, I've never even heard our pastor refer to gambling in any of his sermons, so I'm not so sure it's a touch-point with the "religious right" as opposed to society as a whole.
how do you know?

Last edited by CraigSca : 08-28-2008 at 03:14 PM.
CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 03:14 PM   #1547
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
I hope that he challenges Obama to throw down and then the camera pans back to reveal Chuck Norris, Brett Favre, and CGI John Wayne standing behind him looking tough.

That would take the buzz away from Obama's speech. And be pretty awesome.

That would be hilarious.
Old 08-28-2008, 03:29 PM   #1548
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I read that some Christians see gambling as taking money without earning it and consider it close to stealing. Some of the distaste for gambling no doubt also developed from anti-Catholic mindset. I remember as a child hearing the Catholics of my town disparaged for gambling.
Old 08-28-2008, 03:43 PM   #1549
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:

With Nevada a battleground state, isn't this political sucide in that state for the GOP to add that to it's platform?

Last edited by Galaxy : 08-28-2008 at 03:45 PM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 03:45 PM   #1550
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca View Post
Not an expert here either, but I think the idea of gambling for Christians is a slippery slope. There are many families that have lose everything because of gambling. Therefore, gambling = nothing really good can come of it, so don't even open the Pandora's box.

Frankly, however, I've never even heard our pastor refer to gambling in any of his sermons, so I'm not so sure it's a touch-point with the "religious right" as opposed to society as a whole.

But I guess you go attack alcohol, drugs, cigarettes, junk food, ect.?
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote