Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-19-2015, 01:52 PM   #15101
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
You know you're getting old and jaded when you see a Hollywood couple split up after five years of marriage (the 90210 guy and Megan Fox) and think, "they made it five years, that's not so bad."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I thought they split up a long time ago.

I thought the story was that they were getting back together after having been split up for 5 years...
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 02:15 PM   #15102
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Chris Parnell could probably use a gig.

He has Archer.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 01:10 PM   #15103
Easy Mac

This will be rambling (keeping it in one paragraph to preserve ramble-ness):

I hate having to get dressed down for doing something incorrectly when I'm not the one who did it incorrectly. This seems to happen too often. Just got done being talked to about something not going into the system correctly for something that I usually handle. For some reason the document was sent to everyone and when I tried to put it in the system, it had already been done by someone else, but evidently incorrectly (which I didn't know). When it came time for someone else to find it in a pinch, they couldn't. Since it was something I normally handle, I get the "you really need to make sure you do it correctly, here's how" talk down to. Of course, it was something that was wrong 3 weeks ago and was something that just one of a million things I'm normally doing, so I can't recall if I did something at the time, even though I know I always do it right. It wasn't until I got back to my desk and could check (which took me all of about 6 seconds to find it), I was able to see someone else did it wrong. Of course, I'm not going to point this out because it's not in my nature to throw someone else under the bus, but I really wish I at least had some sort of personality where I felt fine in going back in there and saying I didn't screw up, so and so did. Instead, I had to stand there and mea culpa for 5 minutes.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 01:56 PM   #15104
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Every time I see an article on Kate Middleton I want jam a squirrel into my eyes.
Old 08-21-2015, 02:55 PM   #15105
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post

I hate having to get dressed down for doing something incorrectly when I'm not the one who did it incorrectly. This seems to happen too often. Just got done being talked to about something not going into the system correctly for something that I usually handle. For some reason the document was sent to everyone and when I tried to put it in the system, it had already been done by someone else, but evidently incorrectly (which I didn't know). When it came time for someone else to find it in a pinch, they couldn't. Since it was something I normally handle, I get the "you really need to make sure you do it correctly, here's how" talk down to. Of course, it was something that was wrong 3 weeks ago and was something that just one of a million things I'm normally doing, so I can't recall if I did something at the time, even though I know I always do it right. It wasn't until I got back to my desk and could check (which took me all of about 6 seconds to find it), I was able to see someone else did it wrong. Of course, I'm not going to point this out because it's not in my nature to throw someone else under the bus, but I really wish I at least had some sort of personality where I felt fine in going back in there and saying I didn't screw up, so and so did. Instead, I had to stand there and mea culpa for 5 minutes.

That always sucks
Depends on the work environment though.
Can you turn it into a "learning experience" for the other person?

I'm not muhc on being a fall guy and have a strong appreciation for candor.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 05:40 PM   #15106
sabotai
General Manager

When I was in school, I watched the movie Toy Soldiers. I started daydreaming about the same happening at my high school. This eventually morphed into a Battle Royale/Lord of The Flies type of daydream where instead of terrorists, everyone in the school was armed with weapons and it was a fight to the death. Alliances formed, supplies rationed, my classmates died over and over again in my thoughts.

After I learned about Model UN, I morphed this daydream into thinking about how each classroom would be it's own nation. Wars still broke out but alliances were forged, treaties signed, sanctions imposed. Eventually my bloodlust did die down and I replaced the real weapons in the day dream with paintball guns, and dreamed about world wars breaking out.

I just started watching Community and have finished season 2. I guess I'm not the only one in this world who had school-pocalypse day dreams involving paintball guns. Those were some seriously awesome episodes.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 09:42 PM   #15107
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post

You're probably a better person than me, Easy Mac. I probably would have knocked over office chairs and cubicle walls on my way back to that supervisor to show them what happened.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 09:46 PM   #15108
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
When I was in school, I watched the movie Toy Soldiers. I started daydreaming about the same happening at my high school. This eventually morphed into a Battle Royale/Lord of The Flies type of daydream where instead of terrorists, everyone in the school was armed with weapons and it was a fight to the death. Alliances formed, supplies rationed, my classmates died over and over again in my thoughts.

After I learned about Model UN, I morphed this daydream into thinking about how each classroom would be it's own nation. Wars still broke out but alliances were forged, treaties signed, sanctions imposed. Eventually my bloodlust did die down and I replaced the real weapons in the day dream with paintball guns, and dreamed about world wars breaking out.

I just started watching Community and have finished season 2. I guess I'm not the only one in this world who had school-pocalypse day dreams involving paintball guns. Those were some seriously awesome episodes.

I can guarantee you're not. I have taken down 1000s of terrorist/evil henchmen fellow students. I have also yelled Wolverine at invading Russian soldiers, gone ninja on Columbine type situations, and executed bad ass neck-breaking kung fu on ex-military linebacker-sized badasses. And knocked out bears with one punch.

I thought we all did it.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 09:56 PM   #15109
Suicane75
Coordinator

I often daydream about karateing some villains. But the only time I ever really tried to karate, I broke my leg.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 09:26 AM   #15110
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I hate the stock market
Old 08-24-2015, 09:34 AM   #15111
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
I hate the stock market

You probably hate it about half as much as you did 45 minutes ago.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 09:33 PM   #15112
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Has the FOFC ever done a video game draft?
Old 08-29-2015, 09:47 PM   #15113
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

At what age will I stop having dreams about not knowing my locker combination in school or showing up to a class that has a test that I'm not prepared for? I've been out of school for like 12 years.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 09:52 PM   #15114
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Has the FOFC ever done a video game draft?

I think there was a video game character draft.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 10:08 PM   #15115
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
At what age will I stop having dreams about not knowing my locker combination in school or showing up to a class that has a test that I'm not prepared for? I've been out of school for like 12 years.

I was class of 1989 and I still have the locker combination dream on occasion.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 06:19 AM   #15116
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:

It's a locker permutation.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 08:59 AM   #15117
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:

I always have the one that I'm in college and realize that I haven't gone to class all semester.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 10:57 AM   #15118
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I never realized how dead simple track lighting is. I had been fearing making a change, but yesterday I swapped out a 4 foot track for an 8 foot one, and six new fixtures in about 45 minutes.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 01:15 PM   #15119
Alf
Pro Starter

Real friendship is sometimes a tough thing.
Old 08-31-2015, 08:44 PM   #15120
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:

I still frequently dream about working at my last job, which I left in 1999. These are not pleasant dreams
Old 09-01-2015, 08:29 AM   #15121
bob
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
I always have the one that I'm in college and realize that I haven't gone to class all semester.

This one started up again for me about 10 years after finishing school. Really odd.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 08:39 AM   #15122
Kodos
Resident Alien

I sometimes get the feeling that I've forgotten about paying some critical bill that will lead to our financial ruin.
Old 09-01-2015, 09:06 AM   #15123
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Crap.

Gotta vent a second. So last Thursday my daughter slipped down the stairs in her socks and hit her elbow. She said her fingers were numb and tingling even an hour later after the pain went away. Took her to the orthopedic doctor, a couple xrays, a couple hundred bucks. All is good carry on.

Last night at softball practice a well hit grounder takes a goofy hop hits her throwing had hard. She fields the ball, makes the throw and drops to her knees in tears. Ice, elevate and this morning its all black and blue and swollen. She broke her finger. It pretty apparent.

So back to the orthopedic doc.
Examination, x ray...and then ... darn these X rays are taking a long time. Like an hour now. Starting to get nervous "What is wrong with my daughter? Where is she?"

The the doc returns with a nurse and not my daughter.

The questions start and its immediately clear, they think, or are at least concerned we are abusing our child. I appreciate the concern but, NO.

So now we finally leave, finger in a splint. Daughter is upset because she was asked 3 or 4 times how she hurt her finger says, "Dad they wouldnt believe me. And the lady was stupid I told her I was playing 3rd base and she kept trying to like trick me and say "When you were playing 2nd base were you trying to tag a runner out. Later she asked how long I had played 1st base. I told her I played 1st last year but this year Im playing 3rd. She was so aggravating. She kept telling me if anyone hurt me to tell a teacher at school."

So now what...
I mean is this just standard protocol here, should I expect more fun? Just a shitty situation, take my kids to the doctor to get them help and now feel like I have to be careful how quick we are to bring them to the doctor or we might be labeled as abusers.
Old 09-01-2015, 09:17 AM   #15124
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

I would find a new doctor. I understand concern but interrogating your daughter like that is highly unprofessional in my opinion.
Old 09-01-2015, 09:18 AM   #15125
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post

This is the one I get. There has to be something to it since everyone seems to have a similar variation.
Old 09-01-2015, 09:21 AM   #15126
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

My brother had an argument with a nurse over the care of their infant and a couple of days later a CPS agent showed up at their house. Luckily the agent realized the nurse was batshit insane in her accusations.
Old 09-01-2015, 09:39 AM   #15127
britrock88
Pro Starter

Seriously? They expect people to abuse their kids and then take them to the doctor?
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 09:54 AM   #15128
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
I would find a new doctor. I understand concern but interrogating your daughter like that is highly unprofessional in my opinion.

I agree with this.
Old 09-01-2015, 10:24 AM   #15129
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by britrock88 View Post
Seriously? They expect people to abuse their kids and then take them to the doctor?

Actually it is pretty common for parents to abuse their kids out of rage/unrelated anger/drunkenness/whatever and then come to a realization afterwards that their kid is hurt and either feel remorse and look to help them get better, or they do so in an effort to cover up their actions. It is pretty common for those parents to lie to the doctors/nurses, and even fairly common for those that are abused to cover up for them as well.

It looks like my comments in response will be fairly uncommon compared to the other responses thus far, but I wouldn't take things too personally. The doctors/nurses are trying to do their job and are likely just concerned. They don't know you most likely personally so do not know what type of person you are. You don't have to worry about things though since you have the X-rays showing nothing wrong from the previous visit and have witnesses who saw the softball accident that can vouch for you.

It is not your daughter that needs this type of protection, it is those kids or wives or whoever that are truly being abused, and if the nurses or doctors can help just one of those it is worth it.

It sounds like it was pretty traumatic for your daughter though, and likely the nurses who did talk to her probably could have more training on how to approach such a difficult issue. I wouldn't take offense to the fact that they questioned her or tried to make sure that she knew what to do if she was being abused. Perhaps you can talk to the hospital management about a better way to approach it though.

It is a tough situation for all involved for sure. It does not sound like their motives were bad though.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 10:35 AM   #15130
digamma
Torchbearer

Yes, it sucks, but it's a reality. I've gotten the standard set of questions before. Bedside manner matters and it seems like it was lacking here.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 10:55 AM   #15131
Logan
Head Coach

Today marks a year from when we put our 1 year old cat Leo to sleep. I talked about it a lot in this thread so I went back to read it again, and of course I'm sitting here at work half listening to a day long call and trying not to cry like a baby.

A lot of you guys were really helpful and just wanted to thank you again.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 11:01 AM   #15132
Suicane75
Coordinator

Yeah, when I was little I would wrestle with myself all the time and severely bruise the shit out of myself. A doctor called Dyfus on her and she had to go through a whole rigamarole about whether or not she was abusing me. The good thing about it was she became friends with one of the social workers who would slip my mom some government cheese on the down low, on account of us being poor. And I take no shame in saying that government cheese is/was fucking awesome.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 11:06 AM   #15133
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
Yeah, when I was little I would wrestle with myself all the time and severely bruise the shit out of myself. A doctor called Dyfus on her and she had to go through a whole rigamarole about whether or not she was abusing me. The good thing about it was she became friends with one of the social workers who would slip my mom some government cheese on the down low, on account of us being poor. And I take no shame in saying that government cheese is/was fucking awesome.

One treat that we would have when I was a kid would be cheesy rice... put the free rice with the free cheese, and god damn that was some good eating.

Still eat it on occasion even today, but I've upgraded to Minute Rice and Campbell's Cheddar Cheese soup.

Last edited by Butter : 09-01-2015 at 11:06 AM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 11:11 AM   #15134
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
One treat that we would have when I was a kid would be cheesy rice... put the free rice with the free cheese, and god damn that was some good eating.

Still eat it on occasion even today, but I've upgraded to Minute Rice and Campbell's Cheddar Cheese soup.

You went from gansta to bourgeois.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 03:15 PM   #15135
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post

I mean is this just standard protocol here

Pretty much, best I can tell. I first saw it, oh, probably 15 years ago when the boy fell off the couch & split his head on the coffee table.

When the inquisitor/doctor shushed us so that the child could answer the question of "how did you get hurt" the whole affair ended when his reply was ...

"I was clowning".
Old 09-01-2015, 03:16 PM   #15136
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
A lot of you guys were really helpful and just wanted to thank you again.

It's always a hard thing, brutally so.
Old 09-01-2015, 03:17 PM   #15137
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

So it seems that it's once again time for "parent's night" at school.

I can only try to be thankful that this is the last time I'll be force-marched over hill & dale. I'm too old for anything that involves phrases like "you have six minutes to get from Point A to Point B".

HS graduation cannot get here quick here afaic.
Old 09-01-2015, 03:37 PM   #15138
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
So it seems that it's once again time for "parent's night" at school.

I can only try to be thankful that this is the last time I'll be force-marched over hill & dale. I'm too old for anything that involves phrases like "you have six minutes to get from Point A to Point B".

HS graduation cannot get here quick here afaic.

Does he know where he is going to college? Did you announce it and I missed it?
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 03:57 PM   #15139
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Does he know where he is going to college? Did you announce it and I missed it?

Not officially.

He'll take Ole Miss if he's accepted to their honors program. If not then things are more wide open, Wake is #2 academically but he's not thrilled with the atmosphere there, Bama is #2 socially but strictly as an honors program only option.

Couple of weeks from now we'll make final visits (i.e. the trips where Dad has to go). That list currently has Ole Miss + Wake Forest + probably Alabama & Mississippi State. Those will all get applications for sure with the rest likely being Tennessee, maybe Cornell (just for the hell of it, they've pushed hard but he's not really interested), and then a couple of smaller schools from a list of Wofford/Sewanee/Appy State type places.

Those last two on the trip (Bama & Miss St) both made a renewed push this week so they'll probably get a look while we're en route to Oxford. (State looked him in the eye yesterday & said point blank "we want you, we need you, we'll make the whole thing free if you'll just say yes").

Inching ever closer it is.
Old 09-01-2015, 04:02 PM   #15140
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

And, re the Wake atmosphere.

Basically it comes down to this: "I just don't want to be surrounded by assholes anymore. I've had enough of that"

And pretty much every single person he's known (5 I think it is) that ended up going to Wake fits that description. It's colored his perception of the student body. Not their fault, just the strength of anecdotal evidence.

He wants to be happy, I can't grudge him that at all. And, as he pointed out, he's balancing that with other factors. "If I just wanted to have fun the whole time I'd be at Bama in a heartbeat, nobody parties better than they do"
Old 09-01-2015, 04:28 PM   #15141
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
This is the one I get. There has to be something to it since everyone seems to have a similar variation.

Here is an article on this dream
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 05:11 PM   #15142
Dutch
"Dutch"

Mississippi State is where my dad went to school. Small town feel. Not as nice as Alabama, but probably a great place to stay focused.
Dutch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 08:55 PM   #15143
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
Mississippi State is where my dad went to school. Small town feel. Not as nice as Alabama, but probably a great place to stay focused.

Honestly, the biggest knock on them (for us) is that they really come across as STEM focused. For a history-to-law student, that's not a real plus in their favor.

They've been unfailingly nice (and that's putting it mildly), easily the most aggressive in how much they genuinely seem to want him there, it's just not really coming across as a great fit for him in terms of their focus.

I mean, they've been great to the point that they're the only school Will has mentioned that he'd really hate to say no to.
Old 09-01-2015, 09:25 PM   #15144
Dutch
"Dutch"

Fair, you will have a much better idea of what MSU can provide in 2015. I haven't kept up with MSU outside of football, honestly..and with exception to last year, that's not saying much either. Glad to see they are at least doing a good job trying to recruit.
Dutch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 09:37 AM   #15145
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Anyone else find the headline below ironic?

U.S. launches secret drone campaign to hunt Islamic State leaders in Syria
Old 09-02-2015, 10:59 AM   #15146
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Not officially.

He'll take Ole Miss if he's accepted to their honors program. If not then things are more wide open, Wake is #2 academically but he's not thrilled with the atmosphere there, Bama is #2 socially but strictly as an honors program only option.

Couple of weeks from now we'll make final visits (i.e. the trips where Dad has to go). That list currently has Ole Miss + Wake Forest + probably Alabama & Mississippi State. Those will all get applications for sure with the rest likely being Tennessee, maybe Cornell (just for the hell of it, they've pushed hard but he's not really interested), and then a couple of smaller schools from a list of Wofford/Sewanee/Appy State type places.

Those last two on the trip (Bama & Miss St) both made a renewed push this week so they'll probably get a look while we're en route to Oxford. (State looked him in the eye yesterday & said point blank "we want you, we need you, we'll make the whole thing free if you'll just say yes").

Inching ever closer it is.

FWIW, the only one I can really offer mush insight into...if he was directing towards a med career Wofford is great. Law, not so much.

This said my sister is a PharmD and an MD and a Wofford grad. Med schools pretty much rolled out the carpet for her and job opportunities have been plentiful. Her 4 year roommate and fixture in her life since she was like 8, (To the point where I basically consider her another sister by extension) is a Lawyer and despite a better overall and core GPA and a great resume didnt receive nearly the law school interest (with a strong LSAT though I dont remember the details) the sis got from med school.

Very small sample size just my perspective.
Old 09-02-2015, 11:13 AM   #15147
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

My five year old daughter currently farts at a volume and magnitude that most beer-swilling fat men would be proud of.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 01:04 PM   #15148
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Very small sample size just my perspective.

I have to admit that at this point he's seen what feels like virtually all of the SoCon schools as well as their smaller kin. They started to run together on me months ago & that hasn't improved.

There's one of them that's basically a Taj Mahal campus, that one usually gets mentioned when he's listing candidates. And Appy State came up in conversation the other day, strictly a case where several of the guys in his class had apparently idly discussed "okay, screw all this, where could we ALL just go as a group?"
Old 09-02-2015, 01:58 PM   #15149
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Jon you would go crazy everytime you visited Boone. (App St)

It is hippie paradise.

Wofford has a nice campus in Spartanburg, SC

Panthers owner Jerry Richardson is an alum and there is a bunch of construction going on, including the Richardson indoor stadium and the Richardson Library.
Old 09-02-2015, 02:12 PM   #15150
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Jon you would go crazy everytime you visited Boone. (App St)

It is hippie paradise.

Wofford has a nice campus in Spartanburg, SC

Panthers owner Jerry Richardson is an alum and there is a bunch of construction going on, including the Richardson indoor stadium and the Richardson Library.

Yeah, that's it, Wofford. The kids came back from a trip there last year pretty much raving, the ultimate country club school in terms of facilities wtih all the new & shiny.

And, thankfully, Appy wasn't a serious option .. which my wife explained to the child in very clear terms, at noticeable volume, and at some length