Unless it's followed by..."we struck oil!"
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 12:40 PM   #15002
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Unless it's followed by..."we struck oil!"

Turned out to be not a huge deal: a window that is under warranty and needs to be replacement was being fixed, and the company showed up with the wrong size replacement.

What's irritating is that we first started the process of getting the stupid window fixed over a year ago (before we moved out of that house.) Showing up with the wrong size is just the latest in an incredibly long string of incompetence and/or negligence.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 07-30-2015 at 12:40 PM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 01:22 PM   #15003
spleen1015
Coordinator

Hey Pumpy, I hope you're reading this since this is the last place you checked in. Grats on 300. That is something I have been close to but never accomplished.

I was a serious bowler (195+ avg) for a long time, but quit about 8-9 years ago. I've bowled in a couple of 'fun' leagues since then.

I'm seriously considering getting back into it. When I decided to quit, a lot of the better bowlers in the area were moving to 15lb balls instead of 16. Something about 16s reacting too much and leaving too many 6 pins.

If I start up again, I'll be getting at least a new ball. I don't have a super human hook or anything but, maybe 20-30 board or so?

Any recommendations or opinions about 15 versus 16? Any ball advice? Just looking to get some insight from someone who knows the current landscape.
Old 07-30-2015, 09:03 PM   #15004
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
Hey Pumpy, I hope you're reading this since this is the last place you checked in. Grats on 300. That is something I have been close to but never accomplished.

I was a serious bowler (195+ avg) for a long time, but quit about 8-9 years ago. I've bowled in a couple of 'fun' leagues since then.

I'm seriously considering getting back into it. When I decided to quit, a lot of the better bowlers in the area were moving to 15lb balls instead of 16. Something about 16s reacting too much and leaving too many 6 pins.

If I start up again, I'll be getting at least a new ball. I don't have a super human hook or anything but, maybe 20-30 board or so?

Any recommendations or opinions about 15 versus 16? Any ball advice? Just looking to get some insight from someone who knows the current landscape.
Thanks for the kind words. It was just in practice, but to me, a 300 is a 300, so I'm happy.

Most people I bowl with are using 15s now, and I also use 15s. With the way balls react on the lanes these days, you don't really need to get most of your power from the weight of the ball. The core will handle that for you if you play it correctly. The ball I shot my 300 with was the DV8 Thug. It's about a year old. I don't throw with a lot of speed, so my bowling balls are always drilled to roll long before they hook. The Thug hits really hard and can have a lot of hook to it. It's a great ball, but it will hook 20 boards without a lot of effort, so it's just something to keep in mind.
Old 07-31-2015, 08:03 AM   #15005
bob
College Starter

As a family, we order a lot of things from Amazon. I'm not sure if I've ever continued a relationship with a company that continually screws things up like them... but its probably because I've never had a relationship with a company that continually goes above and beyond to remedy the situation or at least try to make me happy.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 11:59 AM   #15006
Barkeep49
Coordinator

I too order a lot from Amazon and am amazed at how little they screw up. Maybe 1%. Maybe.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 12:15 PM   #15007
bob
College Starter

At first I wondered if we had a different distribution center that was the difference, but according to your location you aren't too far away, so probably not.
Old 07-31-2015, 02:38 PM   #15008
sabotai
General Manager

For me, I don't think it's even a full 1%. I think twice in the 15 or so years I've been regularly ordering from them, and one was from a "marketplace" seller (fulfilled by Amazon). And they sent me a whistle once that I didn't order.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 03:39 PM   #15009
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

And with the phone call that the child's power steering has gone out on his car the fun & games here continues.

In the past, hmm, 6 weeks I guess, the tally includes:
-- main family car, dead transmission
-- child's car, this is trip number three for repair-type service
-- one faulty swimming pool pump that actually caught fire
-- one A/C unit (that wasn't even working) with an exploding pressure line
-- not one but TWO completely dead A/C units on the little rental house we own (a break even proposition under normal circumstances)

I've had some runs of bad luck in my life but damned if I've ever been through one like this. I'm really, really weary of it.
Old 07-31-2015, 04:22 PM   #15010
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Am I the only one on the internet that doesn't give a shit that a dentist killed a lion?
Old 07-31-2015, 04:55 PM   #15011
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Am I the only one on the internet that doesn't give a shit that a dentist killed a lion?

No.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 05:01 PM   #15012
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkeep49 View Post
I too order a lot from Amazon and am amazed at how little they screw up. Maybe 1%. Maybe.

Mine is right around 1%. Just checked my amazon account, since 2013 I've placed 117 orders. One of them was shipped via "Fedex Smartpost" and took a week longer than it should have to arrive and was a huge mess. The other 116 were perfect. Every single thing I've ever ordered that I can remember in the last decade that was supposed to come straight to my door has done so without incident. That smartpost thing has FedEx ship to your local post office,then they deliver to you. The post office portion of that offers no tracking, or at least didn't when I had issues with it.

I assume a regional issue here with the people who have consistent enough problems with Amazon to bring it up?
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 05:06 PM   #15013
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Every time the USPS gets involved in the process my orders get late or fucked up.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 05:07 PM   #15014
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Old old episodes of SpongeBob still really crack me up.
Old 07-31-2015, 05:11 PM   #15015
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Every time the USPS gets involved in the process my orders get late or fucked up.

That's one of the reasons I signed up for Amazon Prime. If it was sent UPS, I'd get it in 2 days with standard shipping, but USPS usually took at least a week.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 10:05 AM   #15016
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Saw a Facebook mention about how Stone Sour's second album "Come What(ever) May" released nine years ago today.

When it came out my kid was a rising 3rd grader about to become the "token Protestant" at St. Joe's. Today, he's a rising high school senior.

Damn time flies. Seriously.
Old 08-01-2015, 02:42 PM   #15017
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
That's one of the reasons I signed up for Amazon Prime. If it was sent UPS, I'd get it in 2 days with standard shipping, but USPS usually took at least a week.

I have prime. They still insist on shipping to the USPS and it often adds an extra day because fuck the post office here in the 16148
Old 08-01-2015, 06:46 PM   #15018
bob
College Starter

I also have Prime. Yet my "guaranteed by 8 PM Thursday" package still hasn't arrived as of 7:45 PM Saturday. I'm guessing Monday is possible. And Amazon will be getting another earful.
Old 08-01-2015, 06:50 PM   #15019
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

we get prime packages on sunday all the time

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 06:57 PM   #15020
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by claphamsa View Post

With the exception of a relative handful of markets I don't think Sunday delivery became an option until very late in 2014. Depending upon someone's ordering frequency it seems possible that a customer has simply never come across it happening before.
Old 08-01-2015, 11:07 PM   #15021
Izulde
Head Coach

Ended up getting interviewed for a story that in part included one of our clients... saw the news story posted online, and not only was I the lead quote, I was quoted 3 times. The other person quoted thrice? The creator of our client's show, who also had the final quote. The other people in the article were quoted twice.

Nice thing to see when I woke up this morning.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 11:38 PM   #15022
finkenst
College Benchwarmer

I live about 5 miles from an Amazon distribution center and have been known to get prime stuff the same day.
Originally Posted by mijb#19
Switzerland is independant and will try to do so until the apacolypse is upon us.
finkenst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 04:45 PM   #15023
bob
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
I also have Prime. Yet my "guaranteed by 8 PM Thursday" package still hasn't arrived as of 7:45 PM Saturday. I'm guessing Monday is possible. And Amazon will be getting another earful.

In case anyone cares, no, I did not receive my package today. Which means I will be returning my order, as I need the item for work tomorrow and had to go buy it at Walmart instead.
Old 08-02-2015, 07:19 PM   #15024
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by finkenst View Post
I live about 5 miles from an Amazon distribution center and have been known to get prime stuff the same day.

Like, people in your town talk about you because if it?
Old 08-03-2015, 07:24 AM   #15025
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
In case anyone cares, no, I did not receive my package today. Which means I will be returning my order, as I need the item for work tomorrow and had to go buy it at Walmart instead.
I have had 2 such problems and when I contact them they've offered me a refund or to next day it to me. Just for future reference...
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 09:07 AM   #15026
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by claphamsa View Post

I got a Prime package delivered yesterday...dropped off by the USPS?

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 11:17 AM   #15027
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
I got a Prime package delivered yesterday...dropped off by the USPS?

USPS delivers packages for Amazon (and only packages from Amazon) on Sundays. My buddy just started carrying mail for the USPS and Sundays are suddenly the bane of his existence.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 11:42 AM   #15028
Dutch
"Dutch"

Had a pretty long conversation with a panhandler outside the Hard Rock Cafe in downtown Seattle last week. Dude makes $35 an hour. Health care? The local hospital hooks him up when he's sick. What if its too cold? Stays at his sisters house. All tax free. He wouldn't want it any other way. I told him he seemed too healthy and smart to be doing this and he said, "Great, find me a job that makes $40 an hour and I'll consider it". I gave him $3....

Last edited by Dutch : 08-03-2015 at 11:44 AM.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 12:11 PM   #15029
JeeberD
General Manager

What does he spend that money on?

Old 08-03-2015, 12:17 PM   #15030
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:

My guess is drugs and booze. I don't know...help pay his sisters rent maybe?
Old 08-03-2015, 12:46 PM   #15031
Kodos
Resident Alien

I don't understand why you gave him the $3.
Old 08-03-2015, 01:01 PM   #15032
Suicane75
Coordinator

Was he the king of the winos?
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 01:24 PM   #15033
bob
College Starter

Quote:

Probably a scaled down version of the info in this thread:

What would you do if you had unlimited cash available? - Front Office Football Central
Old 08-03-2015, 01:26 PM   #15034
bob
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkeep49 View Post
I have had 2 such problems and when I contact them they've offered me a refund or to next day it to me. Just for future reference...

So I did contact Amazon today. They stated their system showed that the package was lost (not sure why I had to contact them to find this out) and that they would issue me a refund. They couldn't next day me the item because apparently I ordered the last one they had in stock.

Frustrating that twice they had information that the item would be delayed or wouldn't be making it to me but yet didn't contact me about it.
Old 08-03-2015, 02:37 PM   #15035
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
I don't understand why you gave him the $3.

I liked his sign that said, "Need money to pay for a fat bitch".
Old 08-04-2015, 05:20 AM   #15036
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The whole Bobbi Brown thing is sad. All these people probably fighting over money. I remember when she was born, her mom was at the height of her popularity.
Old 08-04-2015, 06:05 PM   #15037
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I miss clubhouse stories about the Hot Foot. Do they still do this.
Old 08-05-2015, 05:04 AM   #15038
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Like, people in your town talk about you because if it?

Do the people say, oh, there goes Finkenst the same day package receiver?

(was thinking of this old school Norm Macdonald bit he did on conan.
Old 08-05-2015, 07:37 AM   #15039
Ironhead
College Prospect

Does anyone ever wonder why revised timeline George McFly was never supremely creeped out that one of his children looked and talked exactly the same as a stranger he met 30 years ago?
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 08:06 AM   #15040
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post
Does anyone ever wonder why revised timeline George McFly was never supremely creeped out that one of his children looked and talked exactly the same as a stranger he met 30 years ago?

I wouldn't say creeped out as much as I would say suspicious that Lorraine had an affair.
Old 08-05-2015, 08:41 AM   #15041
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
I wouldn't say creeped out as much as I would say suspicious that Lorraine had an affair.

Marty was in their lives what...12 years before Marty was born? Though I suppose George could have thought she kept in contact with "Calvin Klein" on the sly for that long.

Old 08-05-2015, 09:04 AM   #15042
Kodos
Resident Alien

Just introduced my kids (10 & 6) to the series. My daughter is already excited to go to the Back To The Future screening on October 21, 2015. She wants to dress up and everything.
Old 08-05-2015, 10:22 AM   #15043
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I miss clubhouse stories about the Hot Foot. Do they still do this.

Hot tub foot?
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 01:00 PM   #15044
spleen1015
Coordinator

I had no idea that George McFly was played by a different actor after the first one.
Old 08-05-2015, 01:05 PM   #15045
Kodos
Resident Alien

Huh. Me neither.
Old 08-05-2015, 01:07 PM   #15046
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:

Or wonder why Biff doesn't notice how much Marty looks like the Marty who screwed him over 30 years ago.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 01:13 PM   #15047
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:

Spoiler
Old 08-05-2015, 01:38 PM   #15048
JeeberD
General Manager

And now that I think about it...I'm only 20 years removed from high school, and I doubt I would remember that much about some kid that I knew for less than a week.

Old 08-06-2015, 05:56 AM   #15049
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I couldn't figure out if I'm sick cause my stomach has been gnarled up for the past week or so. Then I got to thinking that I've been buying diet Pepsi a lot more lately and they switched the recipe.
Old 08-07-2015, 09:57 PM   #15050
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

When you reach the age that people younger than you are getting heart bypasses & stuff ... yeah, it's kinda hard not to notice.