Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-30-2023, 05:54 PM   #1451
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Oh God. There is still another quarter of this. Maybe FSU can sue to get out of the fourth quarter.

Georgia legislature should announce an investigation into why the 4th quarter needs to be played.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2023, 05:56 PM   #1452
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Oh God. There is still another quarter of this. Maybe FSU can sue to get out of the fourth quarter.

Oh, enjoy it.

Wasn't there some smack talking earlier this week?

EDIT: to be fair

https://www.si.com/college/fsu/footb...orgia-bulldogs
Quote:
With over half of their offensive production and over 20 players not participating in the game, Galloway stated that it is tempting to fall back on that fact when evaluating Florida State's performance on Saturday. Regardless of who is on the roster, they will judge them either way.

Last edited by Edward64 : 12-30-2023 at 06:02 PM.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2023, 06:03 PM   #1453
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

They were right about next years schedule. It is just brutal to have to play Bama and Texas on the road. The playoff expansion couldn't have come at a better time. You still have to feel good about Georgia's chances. Another number one recruiting class, and picking up Trevor Etienne and London Humphries from the portal, and the starting quarterback returning.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2023, 06:15 PM   #1454
Edward64
Head Coach

GA has a shot at beating FSU for worse bowl loss record

https://ugawire.usatoday.com/lists/1...lege-football/

Last edited by Edward64 : 12-30-2023 at 06:16 PM.
Old 12-30-2023, 06:17 PM   #1455
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
GA has a shot at beating FSU for worse bowl loss record

The 10 biggest blowouts in bowl game history
Georgia already broke that record last year in the Championship game. They have a chance to break the record for the second year in a row.
Old 12-30-2023, 06:22 PM   #1456
GrantDawg

People trying to rile this up, but I am just not taking the bait. Georgia knew they had to win in the SEC championship to make the playoffs. They didn't. You can make excuses (we had players playing maimed) or you can argue that they only loss by 3 points and that was the only game they lost in two years+. In the end, they should have won. This game is less about making a statement to the playoff committee made a mistake, and more about building on next year with unfinished business. Let other fanbases cry over spilled milk. Clean it up and let's go.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 12-30-2023 at 06:22 PM.
Old 12-30-2023, 06:24 PM   #1457
GrantDawg

Btw, the DC's son is now taking snaps from the OC's son.
Old 12-30-2023, 06:27 PM   #1458
GrantDawg

I think the guy that caught that last pass might be Stetson Bennett's son.
Old 12-30-2023, 06:36 PM   #1459
Atocep
Coordinator

I do feel awful for FSU fans. Their season shouldn't have ended this way. They were a great team until Travis got hurt and the QB position isn't easy to replace this late in the season. You can have a roster of 4 and 5 star talent and there's no replacing a 6th year senior, Heisman trophy candidate QB.
Old 12-30-2023, 06:44 PM   #1460
RainMaker
General Manager

Georgia is one of the 4 best teams but you also can't lose a game if you schedule cupcakes. I'd rather punish teams that are cowards.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2023, 06:44 PM   #1461
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

I don't feel bad for them. They're just0 as bad as the FSU board in saying "We should be treated speciaaaaalllll by the ACC".

Get Dunked on.
Old 12-30-2023, 07:54 PM   #1462
GrantDawg

Stolen elsewhere: FUN FACT: Florida State's 60-point margin of loss is their smallest margin of loss this season.
Old 12-30-2023, 08:37 PM   #1463
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
EDIT: to be fair

si.com
Quote:
With over half of their offensive production and over 20 players not participating in the game, Galloway stated that it is tempting to fall back on that fact when evaluating Florida State's performance on Saturday. Regardless of who is on the roster, they will judge them either way.

I mean, it was obvious to me that this game was going to be a disaster once it was clear how many Florida State players weren't going to play. That's not something that is 'tempting to fall back on', it's an obvious reality.

Judging Florida State this season and/or their fitness for the playoff based on this bowl game is completely ridiculous.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2023, 08:41 PM   #1464
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

It's very tempting to think that Joey Galloway is an idiot
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2023, 09:49 PM   #1465
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I think the guy that caught that last pass might be Stetson Bennett's son.

Can't be.

His son would surely be out of eligibility by now

Old 12-30-2023, 09:51 PM   #1466
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

The Peach Bowl, in person, was fairly fun.

I will tip my cap to a fairly congenial Penn State fanbase who made the trip. Zero issues in our section, only very isolated instances across several other sections I heard from (Will's whole main cast from his Oxford years was in the building today)
Old 12-30-2023, 10:10 PM   #1467
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

The Ohio State punter has entered the portal.
Old 12-31-2023, 09:25 AM   #1468
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
The Ohio State punter has entered the portal.
Georgia Bulldog Brett Thorson punter joked about going in the portal when Carson Beck said he was returning, and again when Etienne announced he was transferring in. Just saw the crazy stat that he didn't allow a single return yard all season.
Old 12-31-2023, 11:23 AM   #1469
tarcone
Coordinator

You want a punter? Look to the B1G.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2023, 12:33 PM   #1470
GrantDawg

Javon Bullard declares for the draft, and he is proof that those recruiting stars just flat miss it sometimes. He was a three-star recruit coming out of high-school, he is the highest rated safety going into this draft.
Old 12-31-2023, 01:14 PM   #1471
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Javon Bullard declares for the draft, and he is proof that those recruiting stars just flat miss it sometimes. He was a three-star recruit coming out of high-school, he is the highest rated safety going into this draft.

I'm not sure how much they "missed" honestly however.

In HS he was a 6'0 180 cornerback on a mediocre (at best) team that got torched by every good team (1-6 against top 10 opponents as Jr/Sr) they played during most of his career at Baldwin. He only made all-state once, during a Covid shortened season and they only saw one ranked opponent all season.

He really didn't show enough to warrant more than 3*. Good on him for developing (and bulking up some) but I don't think that was a recruiting rating miss at all.
Old 12-31-2023, 01:43 PM   #1472
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I'm not sure how much they "missed" honestly however.

In HS he was a 6'0 180 cornerback on a mediocre (at best) team that got torched by every good team (1-6 against top 10 opponents as Jr/Sr) they played during most of his career at Baldwin. He only made all-state once, during a Covid shortened season and they only saw one ranked opponent all season.

He really didn't show enough to warrant more than 3*. Good on him for developing (and bulking up some) but I don't think that was a recruiting rating miss at all.
Ok, lets put it this way. Recruiting stars are really good at showing the physical measurable of a player, but they often miss how good a player can be or will be.
Old 12-31-2023, 01:51 PM   #1473
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Ok, lets put it this way. Recruiting stars are really good at showing the physical measurable of a player, but they often miss how good a player can be or will be.

But if they don't show that ceiling in four years of HS what are the recruiting ratings supposed to do? Just give them the benefit of the doubt and overrate everybody?

Outliers DO happen, position switches do make a difference (he was too slow to be a CB at the next level, but prior to the weight gain too small to project as an S)

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 12-31-2023 at 01:51 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2023, 02:01 PM   #1474
GrantDawg

Quote:
But if they don't show that ceiling in four years of HS what are the recruiting ratings supposed to do? Just give them the benefit of the doubt and overrate everybody?

Outliers DO happen, position switches do make a difference (he was too slow to be a CB at the next level, but prior to the weight gain too small to project as an S)
I'm just saying there is way too much weight on them in fan circle. I watched teams that have recruited a bunch of top level talent that did nothing, and I have seen plenty of 3 stars become stars. And I say this as a fan that is winning that recruiting score championship regularly. There is so much more about a player than just the physical measurable. I almost feel like the higher the hype the greater the chance they bust.
Old 12-31-2023, 02:05 PM   #1475
GrantDawg

Dola: Just to add that's why I think the transfer portal is valuable. A player a couple years in is so much more a known quantity. I think what Deion is missing is you need both. You need those players out of high-school to develop, then you can bring in those transfer to fill immediate needs. I don't think just surfing the transfer portal is a recipe for long term success.
Old 12-31-2023, 02:07 PM   #1476
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm just saying there is way too much weight on them in fan circle. I watched teams that have recruited a bunch of top level talent that did nothing, and I have seen plenty of 3 stars become stars. And I say this as a fan that is winning that recruiting score championship regularly. There is so much more about a player than just the physical measurable. I almost feel like the higher the hype the greater the chance they bust.

I did a thing a couple (?) years back, showing how offers influenced not just star rating on a player but that with each increase magically his measureables got better (literally got taller & heavier with each better offer)

They're certainly an inexact science, I'm strictly defending the 3* on the particular player in question here.

By comparison, there's currently a 3* and All-State player that I've seen a LOT of ... and how he's either is a complete mystery to me. I haven't seen anything that looked to be more than high-end DII-DIII out of him in four seasons. (our best guess is that he's a camp star)

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 12-31-2023 at 02:07 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2023, 02:12 PM   #1477
GrantDawg

Quote:
I did a thing a couple (?) years back, showing how offers influenced not just star rating on a player but that with each increase magically his measureables got better (literally got taller & heavier with each better offer)

They're certainly an inexact science, I'm strictly defending the 3* on the particular player in question here.

By comparison, there's currently a 3* and All-State player that I've seen a LOT of ... and how he's either is a complete mystery to me. I haven't seen anything that looked to be more than high-end DII-DIII out of him in four seasons. (our best guess is that he's a camp star)
Stars definitely are influenced by offers. "Well if Ohio State wants him, he must be better than I thought."
Old 01-01-2024, 11:13 AM   #1478
Edward64
Head Coach

Hopefully a great day of ballgames
Old 01-01-2024, 12:25 PM   #1479
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

2024 was getting a little wild for a second when it looked like Iowa would score on their opening drive.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 12:56 PM   #1480
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Econ View Post
2024 was getting a little wild for a second when it looked like Iowa would score on their opening drive.

That was actually their 2nd drive ... they'd gone three and out with -3 yards off the opening kickoff
Old 01-01-2024, 01:30 PM   #1481
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

If you saw the throw UT's freshman QB just made late in q2, then you understand why I still have questions about the coaching staff's ability to make good decisions in Knoxville.

A wasted season with the wasted jersey known as Joe Milton {shakes head}

Milton was not "him", has never been "him", and will never be "him". Nico, at least, MIGHT someday resemble a "him".
Old 01-01-2024, 01:38 PM   #1482
Atocep
Coordinator

I'm surprised sports books are still taking bets on anything that involves Iowa's offense. No matter how low they set the bar they seem to come in under.
Old 01-01-2024, 02:01 PM   #1483
tarcone
Coordinator

Why not stay with your immobile, inaccurate QB? After all, its an exhibition, why get some other players some time.

Good riddance, BF, could you take your old man with you?

Old 01-01-2024, 02:01 PM   #1484
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Gavin DeGraw is to music what Iowa football is to offense.

Made perfect sense for halftime in Orlando.
Old 01-01-2024, 02:02 PM   #1485
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Why not stay with your immobile, inaccurate QB? After all, its an exhibition, why get some other players some time.

Good riddance, BF, could you take your old man with you?

Gotta be honest though ... they don't look THAT much worse to me than Penn State did.
Old 01-01-2024, 02:36 PM   #1486
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

It took Wisconsin 58+ minutes to remember "hey, we're Wisconsin".
Old 01-01-2024, 02:45 PM   #1487
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
If you saw the throw UT's freshman QB just made late in q2, then you understand why I still have questions about the coaching staff's ability to make good decisions in Knoxville.

A wasted season with the wasted jersey known as Joe Milton {shakes head}

Milton was not "him", has never been "him", and will never be "him". Nico, at least, MIGHT someday resemble a "him".

Yes. Milton’s brief time at Michigan was enough convince me of that.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 02:45 PM   #1488
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Liberty making that high quality showing for the non-P3 programs.

Non-P5 conference champs will finish bowl season 0-5, with James Madison & Tulane (the other 'contender' for a NY6 game most of the year) making it 0-7.
Old 01-01-2024, 03:01 PM   #1489
Atocep
Coordinator

He looked clearly short on that TD. I think the replay official must have taken the over and has no faith in the Iowa offense to help get there.
Old 01-01-2024, 04:02 PM   #1490
Edward64
Head Coach

Here we go ...

Michigan vs Alabama. I think the Tide will win but am going to root for Michigan (cool helmets and tired of the Tide).

Texas vs Washington. Texas has suffered long enough and wouldn't mind some solid competition for Alabama & Georgia in the SEC.

Last edited by Edward64 : 01-01-2024 at 04:02 PM.
Old 01-01-2024, 04:22 PM   #1491
tarcone
Coordinator

Iowa outscored 102-0 in the 3 games against good teams (PSU,UM,Tenn)

Old 01-01-2024, 04:29 PM   #1492
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Iowa outscored 102-0 in the 3 games against good teams (PSU,UM,Tenn)

Does this mean anything?
Old 01-01-2024, 04:30 PM   #1493
Swaggs
Coordinator

I, in no way, understand the intricacies of gambling, but it seems surprising that Michigan is favored here.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 04:33 PM   #1494
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Liberty making that high quality showing for the non-P3 programs.

Non-P5 conference champs will finish bowl season 0-5, with James Madison & Tulane (the other 'contender' for a NY6 game most of the year) making it 0-7.

Man the Coastal carolina fans are ripping Liberty a new one on twitter.
Old 01-01-2024, 05:22 PM   #1495
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I know that most bowl games don't mean anything, but Iowa gave up points?
Old 01-01-2024, 05:23 PM   #1496
Atocep
Coordinator

Saban and his staff are getting outcoached so far. The Michigan gameplan on the defensive side has been outstanding.
Old 01-01-2024, 05:26 PM   #1497
GrantDawg

The Alabama OL is playing like it did at the begining of the season. Can't slow anything up.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

Last edited by GrantDawg : 01-01-2024 at 05:26 PM.
Old 01-01-2024, 05:29 PM   #1498
Atocep
Coordinator

Refs just gave Bama 4 yards on that catch on the sideline and no one caught it.
Old 01-01-2024, 05:39 PM   #1499
GrantDawg

This game felt like it moved fast. Let's see if Saban has some magic left to pull out of his hat.
Old 01-01-2024, 06:58 PM   #1500
RainMaker
General Manager

These offenses are both bad.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote