Exceeded my expectations 65 62.50%
Generally met my expectations 26 25.00%
Eh, somewhat disappointed 7 6.73%
Trout 6 5.77%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-05-2012, 01:22 AM   #1451
Grover
Pro Starter

When guards attack try sheathing your weapon. If that doesn't work, sheath, unsheath and sheath it again.

You should get taken in for your "crime"

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:51 AM   #1452
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Looks like a big DLC is coming this summer called "Dawnguard". XBox exclusive for now, unfortunately.

Just a 30 day exclusive though. We'll be debugging it for everybody else
Old 05-24-2012, 06:41 PM   #1453
mckerney
Coordinator

Mounted Combat arrives in 1.6 Skyrim Update | Bethesda Blog

Mounted combat is coming soon for Skyrim, or here already if you opt in to the PC beta.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:05 PM   #1454
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
Mounted Combat arrives in 1.6 Skyrim Update | Bethesda Blog

Mounted combat is coming soon for Skyrim, or here already if you opt in to the PC beta.

That is very interesting news. I've gone away from the game for a bit to play some sports games....biding my team till the DLC comes, but this may draw me back early if it's released first.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:23 PM   #1455
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

yeah they're going for the pvp crowd it seems.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 09:04 PM   #1456
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Just fired up the game and got an update. Mounted Combat is in. I've stumbled on it after stealing a horse. Only tried firing my bow....you lose your sights, but I did get kill a bandit using the bow while mounted and killed another one that was attacking my horse.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:22 PM   #1457
DougW
High School Varsity

Jacked this game up again, and restarted. Found a pretty interesting take on character creation - and this is what I came up with in a few hours. Was actually fun drawing up the history in my head. I went point by point with the site, and it got noticeably shorter as I went on (so, yeah 1 is lengthy, and 8 is like a sentence), Actually, 1 & 2 have some depth, and 3-end are really short. I'm not sure if I was getting anxious to play, or if I explained in to much detail the early stuff, which led to the later stuff being already covered. Probably a mix of both.

Has anyone else taken the time to set up a character like this ? Or, did I just enter RP nerd zone all by myself ?

(the "interesting" take)
How to Build Interesting Characters in Skyrim

1. Family Background
Spoiler

2. Player background
Spoiler

3. Motivations/Ambitions (pretty short from here out)
Spoiler

4. Habits/Quirks
Spoiler

5. Fears
Spoiler

6. Prejudices
Spoiler

7. Special Personality Trait
Spoiler

8. Gimping myself
Spoiler
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 03:44 PM   #1458
samifan24
Pro Starter

FYI Dawnguard, the first expansion, is out today for 1600 MS points ($20). It has a 30 day exclusive on the 360.
Old 06-26-2012, 03:56 PM   #1459
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
FYI Dawnguard, the first expansion, is out today for 1600 MS points ($20). It has a 30 day exclusive on the 360.

Yeah, just bought it for my daughter. I basically bought my xbox360 just so she could play Skyrim. A very pretty 16 year old girl that loves playing video games and reading comic books? Yeah, I have a shotgun.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 07:15 PM   #1460
Buccaneer
Head Coach

What does Dawnguard do to the game?
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 07:47 PM   #1461
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
What does Dawnguard do to the game?

Vampires.

Quote:
The story of The Elder Scrolls V: Dawnguard involves the return of a Volkihar vampire lord named Harkon, who seeks to end the tyranny of the sun. Harkon intends to use the power in the ancient Elder Scrolls to accomplish his goal, while an order of vampire hunters known as the Dawnguard seek to stop him.

The Dragonborn is given the option either join the Dawnguard and help defeat Harkon or join forces with the Volkihar vampires.

Dawnguard can be started by listening for rumors or asking Hold Guards about a group of vampire hunters who are recruiting. This will steer the Dragonborn in the direction of Fort Dawnguard and the add-on will begin

edit to add: There's new weapons, shouts, perks, etc but I'll spoiler those
Spoiler

These details & others from http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/T...s_V:_Dawnguard

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 06-26-2012 at 07:49 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:02 PM   #1462
Buccaneer
Head Coach

So they dovetailed the new characters, weapons, perks, etc. into the existing game and made it another quest line?
Old 06-26-2012, 08:07 PM   #1463
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Yeah, just bought it for my daughter. I basically bought my xbox360 just so she could play Skyrim. A very pretty 16 year old girl that loves playing video games and reading comic books? Yeah, I have a shotgun.

And you mentioned this on FOFC?
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:17 PM   #1464
DougW
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
And you mentioned this on FOFC?

Carefully read the last sentence.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:17 PM   #1465
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
So they dovetailed the new characters, weapons, perks, etc. into the existing game and made it another quest line?

Pretty much. Standard add-on fare is my first reaction sight unseen, except maybe for the exception that it adds a couple of items that are likely to become popular (or have been requested in the past).
Old 06-27-2012, 02:27 AM   #1466
mckerney
Coordinator

Old 06-27-2012, 03:34 AM   #1467
RainMaker
General Manager

Does anyone know how many hours the DLC adds on? I'm interested if it adds a bunch of quests and gets me back in the world. But if it's something I'd pound through in an hour or two I'll probably pass.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:41 AM   #1468
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Does anyone know how many hours the DLC adds on? I'm interested if it adds a bunch of quests and gets me back in the world. But if it's something I'd pound through in an hour or two I'll probably pass.

Up to 20 hours according to some early comments on it I've seen.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 05:53 PM   #1469
DougW
High School Varsity

Haha, epic fight (yeah, I dragged it out a little) and great finish !

Skyrim First Dungeon on Vimeo
Old 06-28-2012, 10:01 AM   #1470
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougW View Post
Haha, epic fight (yeah, I dragged it out a little) and great finish !

Skyrim First Dungeon on Vimeo

How did you do the dancing??
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 11:23 AM   #1471
DougW
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
How did you do the dancing??

Dance Animations - Shake it at Skyrim Nexus - Skyrim mods and community

Edit : The one I was using was "Electra" .. the mod has 10 I think, he says he plans to make over 100 haha.
A couple mods are pretty visible in the vid. A HD mod, an auto potion mod (Is when you see me regen Stam, then magic, then heal up, I have mine set to drink a potion @ 50% health, mana, or stamina). A cloaks mod (adds to cloaks to various npc's in the game, and makes them craftable, enchantable, and found as random drops, stats are in line with level). Obviously the dancing. Also, you can't 'see it, but you kinda can, cuz I used it to swap weapons/spells - I use a mod that ups my hotkeys to 68 instead of just 1-8. I run about 60 mods in all, mostly immersive types, and none are beneficial to me - unless to help me with fluidity. IE the potion one; I HATE pausing the game to drink a potion or change spells, and I like the flow that offers. My feeling is that I probably would about 50% anyway, this allows me to do it and keep smooth combat w/o pausing.

My favorites are :
~The hotkey one is definately my favorite. Allows me so much more freedom, and keeps me almost totally off the pause screen. Can even set up hot keyed dual wielding, which I hate that I can't do in vanilla.
~Hypothermia mod. It always bothered me that I never got cold running around in the snow. This mod makes you get cold, if you swim, hang in the rain, etc. It's really realistic in when you get cold. Your performance is effected by being too cold. Like 3-4 stages, first couple are speed, regen penalties, nimble finger penalties (picking pockets or locks) and the last one, you start getting really slow, blurred vision, even death. I even died once when I was up north swimming (testing the mod haha). I had time to do something (set up a camp and warm by the fire) about it as my body temp decreased, but it "felt" pretty serious haha.
~Eat,Sleep, & Drink : Tracks the last time you ate, drank or slept. Gives you bonuses or penalties for being fed/hungry/starving, etc.
~Campfire. Goes great with the above 2. I can set up a camp, with a fire & bedroll if I'm out too long. Can cook on the fire too.
~UI stuff : A real nice inventory sorter, one that makes my compass just a compass (without all the cheats that show me where things are that I haven't discovered, etc).
~Real Lighting : Almost forces me to use a torch (or magelight) to see at night, in dungeons. Also really nice shadow, and realistic lighting work.
~I also set timescale to 7. Default is 20 - which means 1 hour in front of the computer= 20 hours in game. I hated going out at noon, and a half hour (real time) later it being dark haha.

Last edited by DougW : 06-28-2012 at 11:51 AM.
Old 06-28-2012, 02:08 PM   #1472
BYU 14
Coordinator

Should have figured that out, LOL. I play it on XBox so I forget about the CPU mods.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:24 PM   #1473
DougW
High School Varsity

Anyone have a 1.6.89 version of TESV I can have ? I fired up the game today, and it auto updated to 1.7.7 - so I'm sure none of my mods are compatible or whatnot.

Then I have to learn how to tell Steam to NOT auto update my shit. I'd like to be able to update when I want .. (like AFTER it's not buggy, and my important mods have been updated).

Anyway, thanks. -

And oh yeah ... . 1.7.7 was released today.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:44 PM   #1474
mckerney
Coordinator

Are any mods not working? A patch shouldn't automatically break mod compatiblity and if one happens to the patch has been on Steam for a week or two so mod makers have had time to make any fixes.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:59 PM   #1475
DougW
High School Varsity

IDK yet, can't even get in. I have a few Script Dragon & SKSE dependent, and they haven't been updated. I'm just assuming some mods will be broken (From what I'm reading some dragon and water stuff is broke - and I have both). I know, I could just take those out .. but I really don't like uninstalling/installing - I've got a good mesh of compatible mods going, and hate messing with stuff (always seems to make me break haha).

There is a skse, but its for 1.7 beta - not sure if it's ready yet. Still the Script Dragon stuff is a no go as of now. (from what I'm reading).

Edit : OK. The Beta SKSE seems to work fine. Alexander has said 1.6 to 1.7 is an easy upgrade for Script Dragon, and should be out soon. So, I took Script Dragon out, and it appears to run fine (without my SD dependent mods of course - gotta have my hotkeys !). So, I guess it'll all be good once SD gets it's 1.7 boost. Of course I have to try to remember what I changed in my .ini haha.

Last edited by DougW : 07-30-2012 at 02:22 PM.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:13 PM   #1476
DataKing
Pro Rookie

I haven't messed around with Skyrim on the PC yet, but for Fallout and New Vegas I always used FOMM (Fallout Mod Manager). It allowed you to tweak the load order of all your ESM and ESP files, as well as determine which ones would load and which ones would not. Perfect for experimentation and for running your game without running specific mods without having to uninstall them. I'd be surprised if there wasn't a FOMM-style utility out there for Skyrim.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)

Last edited by DataKing : 07-30-2012 at 03:14 PM.
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 03:45 PM   #1477
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataKing View Post
I haven't messed around with Skyrim on the PC yet, but for Fallout and New Vegas I always used FOMM (Fallout Mod Manager). It allowed you to tweak the load order of all your ESM and ESP files, as well as determine which ones would load and which ones would not. Perfect for experimentation and for running your game without running specific mods without having to uninstall them. I'd be surprised if there wasn't a FOMM-style utility out there for Skyrim.

The Fallout Mod Manager works with Skyrim, though Skyrim also has support for the Steam Workshop where you can chose what mods you want to install on Steam and they will automatically download when you launch Skyrim, while also being able to chose load order and to disable a mod without uninstalling it.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:46 PM   #1478
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I used Steam Workshop. It's been fantastic for both Portal and Skyrim.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 03:52 PM   #1479
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
I used Steam Workshop. It's been fantastic for both Portal and Skyrim.

Me too, it's absolutely fantastic. It makes finding and installing mods easier than it's ever been, I hope more games start to use it.

There's also some pretty amazing stuff that comes through the workshop for Dota 2 and Team Fortress 2. I think Gabe Newell recently mentioned a kid in Kansas who has been making $150,000 a year off of items in the Team Fortress 2 workshop.
Old 07-30-2012, 04:11 PM   #1480
DougW
High School Varsity

Very cool. I found a workaround to reverting to 1.6.89, also just noticed I can play "offline". I like it, and can update to 1.7.7 when all my mods update, and I "hear" it's not buggy.

Workaround for anyone else wishing to do the same. (note, not my info - just grabbed it from a comment on Script Dragons site. Tried it and it works.
Quote:
For those of you with Windows 7 (or Vista) who accidentally updated to 1.7 and want to revert to 1.6 until Script Dragon is updated, here's how to do it:

Go to the Skyrim folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\skyrim), right click on TESV.exe and click "Properties". Then go to the "Previous versions" tab. You should have a version older than the day you updated there (and hopefully not too old). Click it and click "Restore...". When asking for confimation, click "Restore".

Now before you run Skyrim, go to Steam and right click on Skyrim on your steam library. Click on Properties, go to "Updates" tab and select "Do not automatically update this game".

Now you can play Skyrim again with all the 1.6 enabled mods.

Once Alexander releases Script Dragon for 1.7 you can normally update Skyrim again (by changing the setting in steam back to "Always keep this game up to date".

Cheers!

Last edited by DougW : 07-30-2012 at 04:12 PM.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:36 PM   #1481
mckerney
Coordinator

Dawnguard is out today for PC, hoooray!

It costs $20, boooooooo!
Old 11-05-2012, 11:26 PM   #1482
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

New Skyrim DLC announced which looks very promising.

Skyrim Nexus - Skyrim mods and community

I'm excited about the addition of several new enemy types (plus spear throwing - cool)!
Old 11-06-2012, 08:27 AM   #1483
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Just catching up to the news now and I see three DLCs: Dawnguard, Hearthfile (something like that) and now Dragonborn. Looks like I'm going to be busy playing after the holidays just like I did earlier this year.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:31 AM   #1484
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Hearthfire is the disappointing "build your own 'custom' house" DLC. Except that it isn't really custom, more like cut & paste.

I'm just trying to force myself to get over how much I dislike Dawnguard to begin playing again. The "feature" that it introduced into the game pretty much stopped me dead in my tracks, that's how much I hated it.

Dragonborn did look good though, the chance to play in Morrowind sure seems intriguing.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:39 AM   #1485
Buccaneer
Head Coach

But didn't Dawnguard produced another new quest line (i.e., more things to do) regardless whether the feature is relevant or not?
Old 11-06-2012, 08:43 AM   #1486
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
But didn't Dawnguard produced another new quest line (i.e., more things to do) regardless whether the feature is relevant or not?

The quest line is fine as far as that goes. Only moderately interesting (since I've never cared to play as a vampire nor have any real interest in them beyond just another monster) but okay.

The random death of NPC's that are not fully replaced was very uncool. It's apparently fairly avoidable but that means changing everything about the way I play the game and being forced to carefully manage something that I really don't care to have to worry about.

Irritated me so much as to be a virtual game-killer.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:03 AM   #1487
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

i kinda liked hearthfire, but it did corrupt my save file (i think).
Old 11-06-2012, 09:10 AM   #1488
Shepp
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
The random death of NPC's that are not fully replaced was very uncool.

How does that happen?

Last edited by Shepp : 11-06-2012 at 09:12 AM.
Shepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:24 AM   #1489
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepp View Post
How does that happen?

Once Dawnguard begins, so do random vampire attacks upon entry to towns at night. I believe (but can't 100% confirm) that it stops once you finally complete the quest line of whichever faction you sided with.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:20 AM   #1490
Shepp
High School Varsity

Does that mean that you have to enter the town during the day to prevent this?
Shepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:37 AM   #1491
Drake
assmaster

Quote:
Once Dawnguard begins, so do random vampire attacks upon entry to towns at night. I believe (but can't 100% confirm) that it stops once you finally complete the quest line of whichever faction you sided with.

So true. I probably console resurrected a dozen NPC's in towns/cities who tried to "help" fight off the vampires.

(Admittedly, I started a new character from scratch because I lost my complete game save in a HDD failure, so that's 10ish dead NPC's over full game replay, not just a Dawnguard playthrough.)
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:44 AM   #1492
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepp View Post
Does that mean that you have to enter the town during the day to prevent this?

That at least limits it (I think one of the attacks is auto-fired after beginning the quest line)
Old 11-07-2012, 07:48 PM   #1493
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Did any of the DLC ever come out for the PS3?
Old 11-07-2012, 09:15 PM   #1494
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
Did any of the DLC ever come out for the PS3?

Not according to some stuff I read while looking for more details about the new one. Apparently there was some missing code in the PS3 release or something, might not be fixable ... but new hint today that a fix might be coming soon.

Skyrim DLC for PS3 'close' according to Bethesda - National Console Gaming | Examiner.com
Old 01-06-2013, 01:03 PM   #1495
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Having now (finally) completed the Dawnguard DLC, I'll give them credit for doing several things right in it while still absolutely positively hating the way they handled attacks on NPC's

-- the primary companion is probably the best from Bethesda other than the talking armor suit in Fallout. Totally not annoying, unlike several of the others in Skyrim.

-- the visuals are darned nice in 2-3 segments of the DLC sub-world. Just ... pretty.

-- they definitely didn't skimp on geographic depth

On the downside, one of the segments is among the more frustrating to play in terms of trying to find the objectives (I'd still be looking if not for finding an online explanation & even with it the search took a while). Yeah, it adds length & difficulty but at some point accomplishing that by simply turning off your quest markers & giving you little to go on while searching feels like a cheap & annoying way to do that.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:45 AM   #1496
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I assume Dragonborn for the PC should be arriving any time now? I'm anxious to play again from the beginning with the expansion.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:52 AM   #1497
mckerney
Coordinator

Interesting NPCs at Skyrim Nexus - Skyrim mods and community

I'm going to have to try this mod next time I play.

Quote:
Features
• More than 90 Voiced NPCs and over 100 in total
• Nearly 20,000 lines and over 300,000 words of Player and NPC Dialogue
• 8 Full and 6 Miscellaneous Quests (Target Goal is 100 Quests so long as quality is maintained)
• Over 20 Followers with Location Based Commentary
• 8 Marriage NPCs
Old 01-12-2013, 10:54 AM   #1498
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
I assume Dragonborn for the PC should be arriving any time now? I'm anxious to play again from the beginning with the expansion.

Should probably be soon, though if I remember correctly they've announced the PC release date only a few days prior to it coming out.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:59 AM   #1499
Drake
assmaster

Quote:
Having now (finally) completed the Dawnguard DLC, I'll give them credit for doing several things right in it while still absolutely positively hating the way they handled attacks on NPC's

I really enjoyed a couple of instances of "water flume" physics that I hadn't seen in the original game.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:24 PM   #1500
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

anyone get Dragonborn yet? Hoping to see some first impressions before taking the plunge.