Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-07-2010, 11:55 PM   #1451
dervack
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
The only reason Couture supposedly is in title contention at 205 is because he sell PPV shows. He's the hero to the underdog, and that's the card that the UFC will play with him every time. I still can't see how beating Brandon Vera and Mark Coleman puts you there in one of the thickest divisions in MMA.
I wonder if it was one the conditions to him coming back. win two fights in a row in either division and then get consideration for a title shot. I don't see why he should leapfrog over Jackson/Evans winner other than PPV seller. But Dana wasn't exactly expecting this past show to knock his socks off either, so who knows. Couture vs Jones assuming he gets past Vera would be what I'd like to see next for Randy, not him trying to hump the leg of the Shogun/Machida rematch for 25 minutes.
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 11:40 AM   #1452
Dutch
"Dutch"

Randy Couture 45, Mark Coleman 46...ugh...

And Randy Couture looked to be about 38 and Coleman about 58 which made it look like the "THE NATURAL!" vs somebody's grandfather...

I felt bad for Coleman but couldn't help but think that the one really taking a beating was the reputaton of UFC. Horrible main event and while it may make a few more dollars in the short-term, it really hurts the quality of the UFC product to showcase these old guys.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 06:37 PM   #1453
DeToxRox
Head Coach

SOB. Vitor is out of 112 with a shoulder injury. Sonnen and Maia are also hurt and can't fight because of suspension. I bet we get Spider/Randy.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 08:41 PM   #1454
Calis
College Starter

I don't see them doing Spider/Randy. They don't want to embarrass Randy, he doesn't have the chin for that match. It is a waste of Silva and I'd rather see him not fight, and then have him face whoever is ready first between Belfort and Sonnen. It's been almost a year since Silva has fought at MW, I don't want to see him at LHW again before he does. If he does get a LHW fight, the only one that really interests me at this point would be against Cane maybe.

Penn and Edgar are still having a title fight that card, so I think that's a decent main event. Put Randy in there with someone like Franklin if they're both ready, and make that a co-main event.

Be nice if they had Henderson still right now...

Last edited by Calis : 02-11-2010 at 08:44 PM.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 09:37 PM   #1455
Recoil
High School Varsity

So pissed that Anderson/Vitor is off
Recoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 10:32 AM   #1456
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Spider vs. Maia for the Middleweight Title at UFC 112

Yet another opponent that Spider will rip apart.
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 10:44 AM   #1457
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

I dare you to click on this link and look at the cut Martin Kampmann recently picked up in training.

Snapshot of the Day: Why Martin Kampmann Pulled Out of UFC 111 - Bloody Elbow
Old 02-14-2010, 10:50 AM   #1458
Flasch186
Coordinator

wuss

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 03:43 PM   #1459
judicial clerk
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
wuss

I'm gonna disagree and give kampmann a break, although if he continues to let his sparring partners use gloves made of jagged sheetmetal its his own fault.
judicial clerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 05:00 PM   #1460
Flasch186
Coordinator

i dunno, seeing his brain just isnt enough for me.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 02-20-2010, 11:13 PM   #1461
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Wanderlei looked impressive against Bisping. The nose surgery seems to have done his breathing a lot of good, and 185 seems like a good weight for him.
Old 02-20-2010, 11:30 PM   #1462
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Well that was fucking impressive.
Old 02-21-2010, 05:09 PM   #1463
PilotMan
Head Coach

I was happy to see Silva get the win over Bisping. I though that he fought a great strategic fight. Bisping kept throwing his right, and when he did his chin came way out, I was just waiting for Silva to tag him.

Ever since I saw Velazquez beat Kongo I have thought very high of him. After last nights fight, I am a bonafide fan. He has a great future. Dana has to like what he has with his heavyweight division right now.

Mir and Carwin, then Lesnar. And JDS and Velasquez. That's at least 2 yrs worth of fights, barring injuries.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 05:39 PM   #1464
BYU 14
Coordinator

Velasquez is impressive for sure, it will be interesting to see how Dana books things after the Mir / Carwin fight. I would imagine Lesnar would want a tune up bout his first fight back, but if not then Cain / Brock, with the winner to take on the Mir / Carwin winner?

Silva fought with more control than I have ever seen him and looked a lot quicker too. He still seemed to be open for the left hook and I was surprised Bisping only threw it a couple of times. Fighting at 185 looks like it will extend Silva's career though.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 06:27 PM   #1465
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Bisping is going to suffer another terrible KO in the future. He's gun shy. Any time Wandy faked he bit and covered up,. Had Wandy been able to follow up with a haymaker that wouldn't have needed a decision. I just think Bisping is now fighting not to be KO'd.
Old 02-21-2010, 06:28 PM   #1466
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
Velasquez is impressive for sure, it will be interesting to see how Dana books things after the Mir / Carwin fight. I would imagine Lesnar would want a tune up bout his first fight back, but if not then Cain / Brock, with the winner to take on the Mir / Carwin winner?

Silva fought with more control than I have ever seen him and looked a lot quicker too. He still seemed to be open for the left hook and I was surprised Bisping only threw it a couple of times. Fighting at 185 looks like it will extend Silva's career though.

I thought Dana said Cain is the standby #1 contender. If either Carwin or Mir have to back out he will step in. Then if Brock isn't ready to fight the Carwin/Mir winner, Cain will get that guy for the interim title.
Old 02-21-2010, 09:17 PM   #1467
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Bisping is going to suffer another terrible KO in the future. He's gun shy. Any time Wandy faked he bit and covered up,. Had Wandy been able to follow up with a haymaker that wouldn't have needed a decision. I just think Bisping is now fighting not to be KO'd.

I agree, he is much more tentative since he got Ricky Hattoned by Hendo. He has always fought with his chin too high and his aggression allowed him to get away with it. Now that he seems to have lost that he is a KO waiting to happen.

They talked about how he had worked with boxing coaches and was focusing on sitting down on his shots and he looked good early, but once he got tagged a couple of times that went right out the window. Plus at the end, he commited the ultimate sin as a fight by going straight back as Silva came in. In that situation you either clinch or move to the side.
Old 02-21-2010, 09:19 PM   #1468
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
I thought Dana said Cain is the standby #1 contender. If either Carwin or Mir have to back out he will step in. Then if Brock isn't ready to fight the Carwin/Mir winner, Cain will get that guy for the interim title.

I think a Lesnar / Carwin fight is fair if Shane wins, but we have seen Lesnar / Mir twice now, so if Mir wins I think Velasquez deserves the first shot.

Ideally I would like to see Cain get the Mir / Carwin winner, while Brock takes a tuneup fight (put it on the same card) against someone like Hardonk or Gonzaga, then the two winners fight.

Last edited by BYU 14 : 02-21-2010 at 09:24 PM.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:19 PM   #1469
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:

And remember Kang knocked him down as well. I think he is a bit chinny for the top level: he will become a Keith Jardine - a tough test but essentially a gatekeeper.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 10:10 PM   #1470
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Josh Barnett missed his FOURTH hearing with the California State Athletic Commission. Dude needs to just figure out when his cycle is done and go. What a waste of talent.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:24 PM   #1471
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Stay classy Frank Mir

"I want to fight Brock Lesnar. I hate who he is as a person."

"I want to break his neck in the ring. I want him to be the first person that dies to Octagon-related injuries."

-- Frank Mir on WXDX radio with Mark Madden

Quote of the Day: Frank Mir - "I Want to Break Brock Lesnar's Neck in the Ring" - Bloody Elbow
Old 02-22-2010, 10:57 PM   #1472
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

yikes - that's dissapointing from Mir.

hilarious (in a sad way) about Barnett though.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 11:07 PM   #1473
Travis
Pro Rookie

I'm not sure what Mir is thinking. He may be 1-1 vs Lesnar so far, but in both matches he held the advantage for what, a combined 5 seconds? Other than that he was doing an excellent imitation of a crash test dummy.

I mean, he saw Brock somewhat upset last time they fought and now he'll be out for blood. Maybe he's hoping he can goad Brock into a mistake, but he better hope it happens early on or he won't be able to capitalize on it while Brock's beating him with his own arm.

Never mind the fact that I also think this may be Mir over looking Carwin more than a bit which could be a huge mistake in itself. Carwin has a lot of Brock like qualities and may not mind the fact that he'd be depriving Brock of a good grudge match if he beats Mir.
Old 02-23-2010, 04:42 AM   #1474
Dutch
"Dutch"

meh, I'm not Mir fan and think he's an idiot, but Mir is obviously just talking trash. When the future of Lesnar wasn't well known, he was wishing him well and didn't want anything bad to happen to him (again, so he could bash his brains in...inside the ring.)

I'm sure Lesnar's losing no sleep over it and is most certainly coming up with all sorts of akward rebuttals.
Old 02-23-2010, 04:43 AM   #1475
Dutch
"Dutch"

Agreed on being a big fan of Cain Velasquez now. I'm not sure when and against whom I'd root for him, but man is he a beast. Definately look forward to more Cain matchups.
Old 03-01-2010, 07:08 PM   #1476
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

APRIL 17TH STRIKEFORCE EVENT

Hendo vs. Shields
Mousasi vs. King Mo
Melendez vs. Aoki

Bold added by me.
Old 03-01-2010, 07:15 PM   #1477
Calis
College Starter

I'm actually more interested in the other two fights, but it will be nice to see how King Mo can do against someone who is actually decent. That's a helluva jump for him though.

Quite a card though if those three fights end up happening.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 07:16 PM   #1478
DeToxRox
Head Coach

May 15th Strikeforce

Rogers vs Overeem
Big Foot Silva vs Arlovski
Old 03-01-2010, 07:36 PM   #1479
Flasch186
Coordinator

Good fights!

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 03-03-2010, 06:03 PM   #1480
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Thank you, Kimbo Slice. Thank you, Herschel Walker. And thank you everyone who gets enjoyment out of watching them.

Enter James Toney.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:08 PM   #1481
PilotMan
Head Coach

James Toney is a fat tub of lard, whose best asset are his flapping gums.

Having said that, I really like the April Strikeforce card. I am especially looking forward to Aoki and Melendez. Hendo will be great, and good look test for Shields, of course, King Mo against Mousasi has great potential.

Like Steam?

Old 03-06-2010, 12:26 PM   #1482
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

really stoked for tonights wec event
The
Torres and the Bowles fight should be worth the price of admission alone!
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 10:55 PM   #1483
PilotMan
Head Coach

Damn that was a sweet finish.

Like Steam?

Old 03-07-2010, 05:55 AM   #1484
PilotMan
Head Coach

I guess they can run that bantamweight title rematch, just not the way they intended, and without the title to fight for.

Like Steam?

Old 03-07-2010, 08:44 PM   #1485
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Just randomly noting that was the fifth straight loss for Pulver and 7th in his last 8 fights. I knew he wasn't what he once was but I don't think I realized his run had been that bad.
Old 03-08-2010, 01:54 PM   #1486
Silver Owl
High School JV

This is a picture of the cut that Torrez suffered. Nasty

Splitting Headache: Cut Miguel Torres Suffered At WEC 47 | MMA News, Results, UFC blog, Ultimate Fighter, Rumors, Video and Opinion
Silver Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 03:27 PM   #1487
PilotMan
Head Coach

You know it's a good thing that Benevidez made him tap. The fight probably would have been stopped, and Torres would have lost, but the whole cut stoppage wouldn't have made it legit to a lot of people. And that was a nice submission too.

Like Steam?

Old 03-13-2010, 01:10 PM   #1488
AlexB
Pro Starter

Sounds like Chuck/Tito III is off - report that Ortiz has had to withdraw, not due to injury, but due to somthing that may affect his future as a fighter. The article has a picture of him with Jenna Jameson... Is that an inference of anything?

Fighters Only Magazine - The World's Greatest MMA Magazine - News - Tito out, Franklin in for fight with Chuck Liddell
Old 03-13-2010, 10:30 PM   #1489
PilotMan
Head Coach

Jenna's his wife, so I don't think so.

{edit to add} Although I can't see personal problems impacting his fighting career unless he had AIDS or something of that nature.

Like Steam?

Last edited by PilotMan : 03-14-2010 at 09:04 PM.
Old 03-14-2010, 04:48 PM   #1490
dervack
College Prospect

Dana has posted on his twitter account that nothing is wrong with Tito, but he could just be saying that to continue to get people to tune in to find out what happens.
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 06:33 PM   #1491
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Jenna's his wife, so I don't think so.

{edit to add} Although I can't see personal problems impacting his fighting career unless he had Aids or something of that nature.

Your edit was what had sprung to my mind: the article had no reason to put a picture of him with his wife there - it was fight-only piece and a pic of a previous Chuck/Tito fight would have fitted. It just looked out of place, which led to my speculation. Probably (and hopefully) nothing...
Old 03-27-2010, 10:39 PM   #1492
PilotMan
Head Coach

Dana White just wet his pants. Get that man a kleenex.

Like Steam?

Old 03-27-2010, 10:50 PM   #1493
Recoil
High School Varsity

Carwin is a beast. Can't wait for him to fight Lesnar
Old 03-27-2010, 11:23 PM   #1494
PilotMan
Head Coach

Normal Dan Hardy has been secretly replaced with Gumby Dan Hardy.

Like Steam?

Old 03-27-2010, 11:28 PM   #1495
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Normal Dan Hardy has been secretly replaced with Gumby Dan Hardy.

"Let's see if anyone notices"
Old 03-27-2010, 11:53 PM   #1496
Recoil
High School Varsity

"I thought he was made of rubber"

No challenge at welterweight for GSP. What's next?
Old 03-27-2010, 11:58 PM   #1497
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recoil View Post
"I thought he was made of rubber"

No challenge at welterweight for GSP. What's next?

I hope Anderson Silva. That is a fight that is 10x more interesting to me then Anderson vs. any LHW or HW.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 12:34 AM   #1498
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recoil View Post
Carwin is a beast. Can't wait for him to fight Lesnar

he has amazingly fast hands for a man his size, he could give Lesnar a fight.

Hardy is tough as hell, but there is nobody in GSP's league at WW, he looks like he has the frame now to move up too, him and Silva is the only interesting fight at either WW or MW.
Old 03-28-2010, 09:09 AM   #1499
PilotMan
Head Coach

Dana really has to convince GSP that in order for the UFC to make money that he has to step up in weight class. The fact that he has destroyed the entire division means that nobody else can be build up high enough to challenge him. If he goes away for a while Dana will have a chance to rebuild the division and come up with some new contenders and champions. Kind of like what has happened with the heavyweights. It was a mess while Couture was away, but between his layoff and Lesnar's layoff there have been some very positive things.

As far as the Mir/Carwin fight goes. I thought Mir looked great coming in, Carwin looked very unsteady and unsure. Mir just didn't do anything in the fight. I think that he was thinking that coming in at 265 he would be able to hold his own against Carwin at grappling. But, Carwin clearly outmatched him against the cage. Mir was getting pushed all over. Mir's best bet was to try and get Carwin on his back, but it looked more like wanted to try the stand up game, but that clearly didn't work.

Oh, and in no way is Shane Carwin the 6'5" that they had him on the tale of the tape. Mir was 6'3" and clearly was the taller man. Lesnar is 6'5" and he towered over Carwin. To me, that's a man trying his best to get an edge. Now maybe he doesn't need one, but Lesnar still clearly dwarfs him.

That fight could turn into a boring grappling fight. Lesnar's only loss was a submission from a JJ specialist, and Couture did a nice job of controlling him on the cage. I think that if Carwin is going to have a chance he will need to repeat last night's performance. Pin Lesnar against the cage and land heavy blows up close.

For Lesnar, he will need to get Carwin to the mat where his size and leverage are at his best advantage. From there, I think he can control Carwin and really wear him out with strikes. A battle between two good grapplers can get boring really quick. Some of GSP's fights are a testament to that.

Like Steam?

Old 03-28-2010, 09:24 AM   #1500
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

Disagree with GSP being boring. Many of the UFC fans are bitching about GSP being boring (not meaning you) but if they want to see a standup slugfest then watch boxing. Watch GSP's wrestling, his takedowns, submission attempts. That is what mixed martial arts is all about. The man is sublime.
Oilers9911 is offline   Reply With Quote