Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-31-2014, 03:14 PM   #1451
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Let the speculation begin. Do they cut out the disc drive (probably MS's preference) or do they cut out the mandatory Kinect (probably the public's preference)?

Senior publishing source confirms new, cheaper Xbox One release for 2014 | VG247
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 03:20 PM   #1452
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

They really really botched this release. From the pre-release backpedaling around restricting used/traded content and now to this. They aced the other 2 gens, what happened on this one. Fat and happy?

Last edited by jeff061 : 01-31-2014 at 03:21 PM.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 06:10 PM   #1453
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
They really really botched this release. From the pre-release backpedaling around restricting used/traded content and now to this. They aced the other 2 gens, what happened on this one. Fat and happy?

It's another sales/PR nightmare for them either way. They obviously didn't want this to leak out because it's going to have a huge effect on sales if everyone knows that they can wait 8-9 months to get it $100 cheaper. It's also very obvious that it's true because this is something that MS would have nipped in the butt immediately if it wasn't.

In addition, they have to face the problem of bringing out a replacement system that quickly jumps back into the grey area they battled previously. If it's no disc drive, they're going to fight the 'MS doesn't want used games' battle while Sony can just roll out the 'This is how you share PS4 games' video while laughing in the background. If it's removing the Kinect, they're similarly going against something that they said was a key component of the Xbox One experience.

It's distinctly possible that they could bring out a new $400 version of Xbox One and create more problems than they currently have.
Old 01-31-2014, 06:13 PM   #1454
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Yes, because we know that all rumors become 100% fact.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 06:18 PM   #1455
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Yes, because we know that all rumors become 100% fact.

You really think that MS would allow this rumor to go unchecked? I personally find that hard to believe. If they really aren't bringing out a new cheaper console and they let this rumor continue to fly, their management team is far worse than we ever imagined. I obviously give them more credit than you do in this instance and believe that the rumor is legitimate.
Old 01-31-2014, 06:20 PM   #1456
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
You predicted that the PS4 would bury the Xbox One out of the gate. That has failed to materialize, unless you count a 4.2 million to 3.9 million has a massive defeat. Which I'm sure you do.
Old 01-31-2014, 06:23 PM   #1457
cartman
Death Herald

Sony hasn't responded to the rumors that their financial position is going to cause them to have to either spin off or drop development of the PS4. The longer they let those rumors sit out there, the more their leadership comes into doubt.
Old 01-31-2014, 06:28 PM   #1458
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
You predicted that the PS4 would bury the Xbox One out of the gate. That has failed to materialize, unless you count a 4.2 million to 3.9 million has a massive defeat. Which I'm sure you do.

The 3.9M number on X1 is shipped, not sold. As of Dec. 31st, roughly 3M X1's were sold. We should at least use an apples to apples comparison here. Current ration is roughly 57/43 in favor of the PS4 as of Dec. 31st.

I stated that I expected at least a 60/40 worldwide split by the end of the release window (which is roughly another month). The PS4 hasn't even release yet in one of it's strongest regions and is ahead in all regions that it has released. There's a very real possibility that the PS4 will exceed my prediction.
Old 01-31-2014, 06:37 PM   #1459
cartman
Death Herald

The Sony figure is shipped units as well. But I guess you are hanging your hat on the already discredited VGChartz numbers.
Old 01-31-2014, 06:43 PM   #1460
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
The Sony figure is shipped units as well. But I guess you are hanging your hat on the already discredited VGChartz numbers.

There wasn't any availability on December 31st for PS4. They were all sold. Please post if you have information saying otherwise. Sony reported the numbers.
Old 01-31-2014, 06:50 PM   #1461
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Interesting comments from Nintendo chief. Looks like they are hoping to go back on the offensive......

Satoru Iwata States That Nintendo Should "Abandon Old Assumptions" About Its Businesses - Nintendo Life
Old 01-31-2014, 08:18 PM   #1462
Mota
College Benchwarmer

I worked on the Xbox team for 12 years. They work on units sold rather than shipped.

Also, I have not seen an Xbox One in any retail store since launch, therefore proving that all Xbox One units have also been sold.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:32 PM   #1463
henry296
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
I worked on the Xbox team for 12 years. They work on units sold rather than shipped.

Also, I have not seen an Xbox One in any retail store since launch, therefore proving that all Xbox One units have also been sold.

If Amazon has them doesn't that mean not everything shipped has sold.
Old 01-31-2014, 08:36 PM   #1464
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry296 View Post

They have PS4s as well.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:19 PM   #1465
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

tastes great
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 11:19 PM   #1466
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

less filling
Old 01-31-2014, 11:19 PM   #1467
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

I said tastes great
Old 01-31-2014, 11:19 PM   #1468
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

less filling!!!
Old 01-31-2014, 11:20 PM   #1469
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

tastes great!!!!
Old 01-31-2014, 11:20 PM   #1470
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

less filling!!!!
Old 01-31-2014, 11:23 PM   #1471
cartman
Death Herald

I must be in the front row!
Old 02-01-2014, 11:47 AM   #1472
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry296 View Post

Yes again, per Microsoft terminology, shipped to the retailer (or e-tailer) wouldn't equal a unit sold.

This thread is barf.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 11:51 AM   #1473
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post

You're absolutely correct. They report sales to wholesalers/retailers. But that's not what we're talking about here.

MS has already been playing games with the numbers. The 'Fastest Selling Console' claim was one of the more noticeable ones. They're on the defensive and are looking to do anything they can to paint it as otherwise.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 02-01-2014 at 11:57 AM.
Old 02-01-2014, 01:48 PM   #1474
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Who exactly doesn't play games with numbers. Defensive, offensive, everyone has marketing and PR departments earning their paychecks. Waste of time talking about them.

On another note I patched COD Ghosts today, which took 15 minutes(the entirety of which was between 97% and 98%), and now the game won't start. Hangs at either a black screen or a loading screen. Loading what I don't know, prior to the patch it never entered this loading screen.

I guess next step is to uninstall and reinstall COD, which is a 1 or 2 hour process. Let's see if it works.

This has been my pretty consistent experience with this console since we bought it. I've also been having profile problems with NBA2k, it somehow linked 2 XBox Live accounts to my email address and it's tossup which one is loaded when I start the game. Despite the fact the game has only ever been played using a single XBox live account.

Guess I'm really just waiting for the patch that brings the system out of beta. It's a very frustrating gaming machine to play games on.

Last edited by jeff061 : 02-01-2014 at 01:49 PM.
Old 02-01-2014, 01:53 PM   #1475
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Also, Steam is twice the gaming platform as either PS4 or XBox One. Ask me how much I care about the sales data as opposed to my enjoyment of the platform.

Last edited by jeff061 : 02-01-2014 at 01:53 PM.
Old 02-01-2014, 02:57 PM   #1476
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Also, Steam is twice the gaming platform as either PS4 or XBox One. Ask me how much I care about the sales data as opposed to my enjoyment of the platform.

Good to see the 'PC Rulz' crowd entering the console discussion thread.
Old 02-01-2014, 03:14 PM   #1477
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

That wasn't exactly my point. Enjoyment of a system matters. Not sales numbers. We really think sales numbers are going to have any real impact on anyone other than the also rans?

Old 02-01-2014, 04:03 PM   #1478
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
That wasn't exactly my point. Enjoyment of a system matters. Not sales numbers. We really think sales numbers are going to have any real impact on anyone other than the also rans?

I'd agree that enjoyment matters. I totally disagree that the sales numbers don't mean anything when it comes to a console war. They are absolutely crucial to the direction of a console.
Old 02-01-2014, 04:08 PM   #1479
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

PS4 back in stock at Amazon off and on all day if interested.
Old 02-01-2014, 04:27 PM   #1480
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Did we not have these same sales discussions with the 360 and PS3? Did any of it really matter? Winner, loser, we still got a legit next Gen from both. Until there's a third challenger it won't make a bit of difference. . I'd love to see positive sales numbers around a number 3.

Last edited by jeff061 : 02-01-2014 at 04:29 PM.
Old 02-01-2014, 05:39 PM   #1481
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Did we not have these same sales discussions with the 360 and PS3? Did any of it really matter? Winner, loser, we still got a legit next Gen from both. Until there's a third challenger it won't make a bit of difference. . I'd love to see positive sales numbers around a number 3.

Blame Nintendo for that.
Old 02-01-2014, 06:46 PM   #1482
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I'd keep my eyes on the G / Amazon collaboration...
Old 02-01-2014, 06:53 PM   #1483
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
I'd keep my eyes on the G / Amazon collaboration...

I'd be floored if that outsells the WiiU.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:51 AM   #1484
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Given google's track record I suspect it will either be an epic historic flop, or redefine the platform.

Nothing in between.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:15 AM   #1485
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Amazon seems to have decent stock of PS4 at the moment - it was in stock virtually all day yesterday.

I picked myself up one - should be here on Weds.

Banking on there not being any sort of price-drop until next year due to strong sales.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 10:50 AM   #1486
mckerney
Coordinator

Microsoft picking Satya Nadella, an engineer who has been with Microsoft for 22 years, is good news as far as the XBox is concerned. Some of the other candidates had expressed desire to sell of the XBox division which probably would have been a move that would hurt both the XBox and Microsoft in the long term.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:06 AM   #1487
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Amazon seems to have decent stock of PS4 at the moment - it was in stock virtually all day yesterday.

I picked myself up one - should be here on Weds.

Banking on there not being any sort of price-drop until next year due to strong sales.

Amazon out today, but Target and Wal-Mart have PS4+extra controller bundle available. Not a bad deal given that most people buy a second controller.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:54 AM   #1488
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I held off on the extra controller at the moment - I found that I don't game with people much at all, and the fact that these new controllers can be charged while the device isn't on (right?) means that there's no reason to pick one up right away. Just need to remember to charge it during the day when I'm at work once it gets low.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:13 PM   #1489
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
I held off on the extra controller at the moment - I found that I don't game with people much at all, and the fact that these new controllers can be charged while the device isn't on (right?) means that there's no reason to pick one up right away. Just need to remember to charge it during the day when I'm at work once it gets low.

I'm not that organized. I charge one while using the other. When it dies, I switch.

Yes, it does charge even when the console is not 'on'.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:22 PM   #1490
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
I'm not that organized. I charge one while using the other. When it dies, I switch.

Yes, it does charge even when the console is not 'on'.

That's how I used to do the PS3.

Too impatient over here to figure out what I need to tweak to get a wired internet connection for it, so just connected it via wi-fi. I can figure that out later.

Need to go to the gym before I let myself play FIFA though or I got a feeling I'll be glued to the couch.
Old 02-08-2014, 12:06 PM   #1491
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Hope to see more developers do this same thing. Dynasty Warriors saves are transferable between all three systems (PS3/Vita/PS4). Makes the transition to the new console much easier.

Dynasty Warriors makes next-gen debut on PS4 this March | Joystiq

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 02-08-2014 at 12:06 PM.
Old 02-08-2014, 02:52 PM   #1492
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Announced that The Order: 1886 has no multiplayer. That makes me VERY happy.

Also, a new local option for those looking to pick up a PS4 in their area. Covers several metro areas.......

Sony PlayStation 4 Local In Stock Tracker - NowInStock.net
Old 02-12-2014, 12:26 PM   #1493
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Just ordered a PS4 from Amazon. Should be here tomorrow.
Old 02-13-2014, 03:41 PM   #1494
BillJasper
Pro Starter

I like the PS4 but that power switch requires no pressure at all to turn the thing on.
Old 02-13-2014, 06:06 PM   #1495
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Holy Shit! Madden actually has in-game saves now (at least in play now)! Welcome to 2005!

Actually, I like this version of Madden quite a bit. The replays actually look like broadcast replays now. Defenders actually change angles when pursuing ball carriers.

Have only played a couple Play Now games on the Pro level.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:36 PM   #1496
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Was going to get a ps4 but there's not that much out for it yet. Was thinking about getting a WiiU cause it looks like there's some great first party stuff out there. At $300 with Mario included I'm thinking about pulling the trigger.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 08:02 PM   #1497
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I'm curious what Nintendo is planning on doing with the WiiU before I jump

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 08:08 PM   #1498
chadritt
High School Varsity

They just had a day full of announcements and trailers. Kotaku was doing a live update and I think has the entire thing available to watch.
chadritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 08:43 PM   #1499
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadritt View Post
They just had a day full of announcements and trailers. Kotaku was doing a live update and I think has the entire thing available to watch.

Yeah, saw the notes on the Nintendo direct but they may be incomplete since IGN has decide to make everything video instead of something I can read. The big news is Mario Kart 8 and Mario Golf in May. Still no date for SSB. I have a feeling something will happen with regards to either more free games, a price drop, or something more drastic.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 02-13-2014 at 08:44 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 08:52 PM   #1500
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Yeah, saw the notes on the Nintendo direct but they may be incomplete since IGN has decide to make everything video instead of something I can read. The big news is Mario Kart 8 and Mario Golf in May. Still no date for SSB. I have a feeling something will happen with regards to either more free games, a price drop, or something more drastic.

SI

X caught my attention, and then a big finish with a new Bayonetta 2 trailer.

Strongly considered buying a Wii U when New Egg was selling a Wind Waker bundle with Wonderful 101 and some other game for about $260 a week or so ago, probably won't be able to hold out much longer once Bayonetta 2 is out.

A couple of Platinum games, Wind Waker, Monster Hunter, Hyrule Warrior along with the staple Nintendo franchises will be enough for me to end up getting a Wii U.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote