Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-28-2021, 02:55 PM   #1451
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Sorry for rapid posting, but man. Riley wanted no part of the SEC. He moves to where he can be the big fish in a smaller pond. He should be able to rebuild USC to a regular playoff team with a much easier path than competing in the SEC.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 02:57 PM   #1452
Swaggs
Coordinator

Good job by USC, too. I'm sure Riley wasn't looking to leave (and probably wouldn't have made himself available so quickly if they had won last night and still be in the playoff conversation), but it never hurts to ask if you are one of the blue bloods. He will be great there and college football is much more fun with a nationally relevant USC and Pac 12.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 03:13 PM   #1453
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I knew his specific denial of being the "next LSU coach" was odd. I thought he might have been being too cute and perhaps Coach O wasn't coaching thr bowl game, and so the NEXT LSU coach was going to be interim and THEN Riley was going to be coach. But that would have been something Lane Kiffin would have have done, not Riley.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 03:14 PM   #1454
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
https://gogriz.com/sports/football/s...n/boxscore/550

I think the people of Chattanooga still talk about it to this day... "what if there was a wind that evening?"

LOL, that weather detail is a biiiiit off ... game was played in on & off freezing rain. Not THE most miserable weather I've ever watched football in, but definitely in the top five
Old 11-28-2021, 03:41 PM   #1455
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

https://www.wunderground.com/history...ate/2001-12-21

It's entirely possible that there was rain close to the weather station at the airport. Or maybe two games where elements merge together.

A few years ago, I spent a lot of time learning about neurology. It has always been an interest. For a long time now, I have regretted the frivolous career path I chose and wished I was a little more serious when I had the opportunity in college.

One of the most fascinating anecdotes a professor related in one of the classes I took on Coursera was about a class he took when he was an undergraduate.

His professor was talking about Pearl Harbor. He had a crystal-clear memory of sitting in his favorite chair in his library, reading the newspaper and listening to a New York Giants baseball game. Mel Ott was at bat with runners on base and the broadcast was interrupted with the news that the Japanese had attacked Pearl Harbor.

Well, what's wrong with that story?

Memory works in strange ways - strange enough that it's a miracle our judicial system still functions most of the time. Think about something vivid that you would connect to what you were doing - like hearing about 9/11 or the Kennedy Assassination if you're a lot older than even I am.

Now think about what you were wearing at the time (or the people around you). No idea, right? It's still a wonderful mystery how memory is stored. We are hardly DVRs. And every time you "remember" something, you store it back in memory in a new and maybe slightly different manner.

Anyway, not to kid you about it needlessly. I just think it's interesting how we connect things in memory.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 03:44 PM   #1456
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Good job by USC, too. I'm sure Riley wasn't looking to leave (and probably wouldn't have made himself available so quickly if they had won last night and still be in the playoff conversation), but it never hurts to ask if you are one of the blue bloods. He will be great there and college football is much more fun with a nationally relevant USC and Pac 12.

So excited to see USC make a real commitment to football. It has been some dark years.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 04:29 PM   #1457
GrantDawg

Bob Stopps is going to be the coaching the rest of the season for Oklahoma.

Edit: How about this for fun. Heupel takes the Oklahoma job, and Tennessee then turns back to the past...Lane Kiffin.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 11-28-2021 at 04:34 PM.
Old 11-28-2021, 04:43 PM   #1458
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Bob Stopps is going to be the coaching the rest of the season for Oklahoma.

Edit: How about this for fun. Heupel takes the Oklahoma job, and Tennessee then turns back to the past...Lane Kiffin.

Hell, if we're going back to the past, Stoops just stays at OU

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 04:50 PM   #1459
Ksyrup

Apparently there's beef between Heupel and OU from what I've seen. I don't follow OU so I don't know what the issue is but I had the same thought - Kiffin to UT (or heck, USC before Riley took it).
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 11-28-2021, 04:53 PM   #1460
bhlloy
Coordinator

Not to derail the thread, but in regards to the memory thing and 9/11 in particular… I distinctly remember being asleep at home in the UK and a friend waking me up to turn on the news and seeing the towers collapse… the problem being that given the time difference that is pretty much impossible, even given my messed up sleep schedule at the time I can’t believe I was still in bed at 2pm local time. So I’ve clearly heard hundreds of similar accounts and worked them into my memory as gospel. I can replay the exact scene in my head even though I know it can’t be true.

To get us back on topic, I’m only going to believe the Riley news when the press conference is announced, but what a coup. Hope he doesn’t get an NFL gig like Kingsbury this off-season.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 05:18 PM   #1461
Ksyrup

Speaking of Kingsbury, apparently he's high on OU's list.
Old 11-28-2021, 06:27 PM   #1462
bhlloy
Coordinator

Campbell to OU just makes too much sense. If they think KK is leaving one of the best teams and long term situations in the NFL to take a college job they are huffing more than just glue.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 06:31 PM   #1463
Ksyrup

And so it begins...

Old 11-28-2021, 06:57 PM   #1464
GrantDawg

Kingsbury only has one year left on his deal, which means this rumor is coming more from his agents to get a new contract.

Old 11-28-2021, 07:13 PM   #1465
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Sorry for rapid posting, but man. Riley wanted no part of the SEC. He moves to where he can be the big fish in a smaller pond. He should be able to rebuild USC to a regular playoff team with a much easier path than competing in the SEC.

All above has truth, the SEC has less patience. But one speculation I read is he really wants the Texas job. So going to USC, building it up, and waiting for Sark to crash and burn for another couple year etc.

Besides, weather and food is better.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 07:29 PM   #1466
GrantDawg

The fact that Heupel was fired by OU when he was co-OC, and the man behind that firing is still the AD, does make you wonder if they or he would consider his return. What I find humorous is the Tennessee fans deluding themselves that they are the same level of program that OU is.

Old 11-28-2021, 08:01 PM   #1467
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Speaking of Kingsbury, apparently he's high on OU's list.

I seriously doubt it.

Dude has done well in the NFL, but he was a mediocre college coach. He was fired at Texas Tech, where he went 35-40 (.467), with only two winning seasons in six years. His best season with Patrick Mahomes at QB was 7-6. There are certain coaches who are good in the NFL and not so good in college (Kingsbury), and some who are good in college and not so good in the NFL (Nick Saban).
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 08:04 PM   #1468
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Live in So. Cal. Play a PAC-10 schedule. Have enough blue blood cred that you will get the benefit of the doubt come playoff selection time. Have a fan base that's more tolerant of "very good" than the SEC.

Riley to USC makes a ton of sense.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 08:06 PM   #1469
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

dola:

I'm a LSU fan, but I don't know what coach would want a job where having to be consistently better than Alabama is a minimum requirement.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 08:46 PM   #1470
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
dola:

I'm a LSU fan, but I don't know what coach would want a job where having to be consistently better than Alabama is a minimum requirement.

and absolutely be forced to play the political game in Baton Rouge. There a ton of positives with that job, but it's definitely not for everyone.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 08:48 PM   #1471
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Vic View Post
I seriously doubt it.

Dude has done well in the NFL, but he was a mediocre college coach. He was fired at Texas Tech, where he went 35-40 (.467), with only two winning seasons in six years. His best season with Patrick Mahomes at QB was 7-6. There are certain coaches who are good in the NFL and not so good in college (Kingsbury), and some who are good in college and not so good in the NFL (Nick Saban).

In the NFL he's been able to hire really strong and experienced assistants. He was never going to be able to do that at Texas Tech and there are only a few schools with the pockets deep enough to keep a DC that would fit well with him.
Old 11-28-2021, 09:01 PM   #1472
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
In the NFL he's been able to hire really strong and experienced assistants. He was never going to be able to do that at Texas Tech and there are only a few schools with the pockets deep enough to keep a DC that would fit well with him.

Understood. I know it isn't easy to win at Texas Tech; however, Kingsbury underperformed there compared to his predecessors Mike Leach and Tommy Tuberville, who presumably had similar resources to work with.
Old 11-28-2021, 09:04 PM   #1473
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Understood. I know it isn't easy to win at Texas Tech; however, Kingsbury underperformed there compared to his predecessors Mike Leach and Tommy Tuberville, who presumably had similar resources to work with.

I agree. His offenses were good in college, but he couldn't find good fits on the defensive side and he needs coaches that allow him to be hands off there. He's found that in the NFL.
Old 11-28-2021, 09:05 PM   #1474
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Live in So. Cal. Play a PAC-10 schedule. Have enough blue blood cred that you will get the benefit of the doubt come playoff selection time. Have a fan base that's more tolerant of "very good" than the SEC.

Riley to USC makes a ton of sense.

Supposedly he wasn't a fan of OU's move to the SEC, as well.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 09:42 PM   #1475
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
Supposedly he wasn't a fan of OU's move to the SEC, as well.

That, and he didn't fit in too well with a lot of their fanbase, who tend to be overly conservative. Riley is known to be a strong advocate of BLM and social justice issues, which rubbed a lot of their fanbase the wrong way. Many of them perceived that the team was too soft, that it lacked tenacity, and they attributed it to Riley's softness and being overly "woke". His ideology will undoubtedly be a better fit in Los Angeles than it was in Norman, Oklahoma.

Last edited by Vegas Vic : 11-28-2021 at 09:45 PM.
Old 11-28-2021, 10:01 PM   #1476
tarcone
Coordinator

If I was an offensive HC I would throw a shit ton of money at Phil Parker, Iowas DC. He is ;legit.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 10:07 PM   #1477
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
If I was an offensive HC I would throw a shit ton of money at Phil Parker, Iowas DC. He is ;legit.

One of Kingsbury's problems is that most DCs don't want to work with an Air Raid coach. No matter what it's going to make them look bad quite often and their defense isn't going to get the type of reps they're going to want. On top of that, failing as a coordinator at a Texas Tech is completely different failing at a higher profile school from a perception standpoint. You can fail at an Ohio State, a Oklahoma, Alabama, ect and still land a good P5 job. That's typically not the case at Texas Tech level jobs.
Old 11-28-2021, 10:09 PM   #1478
tarcone
Coordinator

Yeah, I was thinking USC. Parker could build a defense under him. Just give him the resources.

Old 11-28-2021, 10:21 PM   #1479
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
One of Kingsbury's problems is that most DCs don't want to work with an Air Raid coach.

That's true. Lincoln Riley doesn't run an Air Raid offense, he runs an RPO offense that uses the run to set up the pass. With this year being an exception, OU averaged over 200 rushing yards per game during his time there (they only averaged 176 YPG this year). He also slowed the tempo down, which in turn helped out defensive coordinator Alex Grinch to make some modest improvements to OU's atrocious defense.

Last edited by Vegas Vic : 11-28-2021 at 10:24 PM.
Old 11-29-2021, 05:08 AM   #1480
GrantDawg

I wonder what the time line was on the whole Riley hire? When did USC get involved? Who contacted Bob Stoops and when? Did Riley know when he said Saturday night that he was look forward to working on the future of Oklahoma that he was gone the next day? None of that is really important, but inquiring minds want to know.
So now who is going to LSU and who is going to OU? I would think Kiffin is the favorite for LSU.

Old 11-29-2021, 09:59 AM   #1481
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

So if Iowa wins next week are they in the playoffs?
Old 11-29-2021, 10:32 AM   #1482
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post

LOL. God help us all.
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 11:33 AM   #1483
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:

It would be a tough sell. They're at 15 in the AP poll, probably a couple of spots higher when the rankings come out.

They've beaten three teams that were ranked at the time. That sounds great, but Indiana is now 2-10 and Penn State and Iowa State are both 7-5. Their two losses were convincing (8-4 Purdue at home, 8-4 Wisconsin on the road) and their other solid win was over 8-4 Minnesota, which was a close one where the Gophers had a 130-yard advantage.

I think Iowa's a very good team with a defense that won't allow Michigan to run the way they did Saturday. The line is one that borders on the absurd and invites betting on Iowa (Michigan alums who bet are so ecstatic this week that they'll take any line). But there's no path to reach the top four.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 12:43 PM   #1484
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Agreed. There's too many teams ahead of them, and ahead of them for good reason. Take away one of Iowa losses and I can see it. But not with two. If Iowa wins, nobody from the Big Ten goes to the playoffs.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 11-29-2021 at 12:44 PM.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 01:18 PM   #1485
GrantDawg

Maybe a meteor?
Old 11-29-2021, 02:37 PM   #1486
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I seriously doubt it.

Wasn't his issue that he hated to recruit?
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 02:41 PM   #1487
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

No. Playoff shouldn't benefit teams who play in conferences that have lopsided alignment.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 02:42 PM   #1488
GrantDawg

Venables going back to OU. So many have courted him, and OU finally got him.
Old 11-29-2021, 03:24 PM   #1489
GrantDawg

Ommmm...wut?
Old 11-29-2021, 03:42 PM   #1490
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Is there anyone left in OU's recruiting class for next year?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 03:57 PM   #1491
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Venables going back to OU. So many have courted him, and OU finally got him.

That's a solid hire
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 04:16 PM   #1492
Swaggs
Coordinator

I think Venables will probably be pretty good and he is much younger (50) than I realized since he has been around forever, but it feels like they could have spent a little more time making Godfather offers before moving on to a first time head coach.

He would presumably be around for at least the next week or 10 days, so why not try to do what USC, Texas A&M, and even Alabama (with Saban, who was an NFL coach at the time) did first?
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 04:22 PM   #1493
GrantDawg

Recruiting. Early signing day is approaching fast, and their class has been decimated. Evey day hurts it more and more.

Old 11-29-2021, 04:34 PM   #1494
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg
Ommmm...wut?

They're gonna need a bigger armored truck (or more of them)
Old 11-29-2021, 04:56 PM   #1495
bob
College Starter

As if GT didn't suck enough, their running back (Gibbs - #3 in the nation in all purpose yards) is entering the transfer portal.

Rumored destination is Tennessee so Jon will still be able to cheer for him.

Last edited by bob : 11-29-2021 at 04:59 PM.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 05:27 PM   #1496
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Ommmm...wut?

I'm going to save that twitter post for every time someone claims paying athletes a small stipend for NIL rights is ruining collegiate sports.
Old 11-29-2021, 05:32 PM   #1497
tarcone
Coordinator

Unfortunately that Purdue loss reigns huge. Iowa wont be there this year even though I believe they can beat Michigan.

But we get to go to the Rose Bowl, win or lose. What an awesome consolation prize

Old 11-29-2021, 06:37 PM   #1498
GrantDawg

Mike Bobo got the axe in Auburn.

Edit: Oh, and the reported top of the list for LSU right now is Brian Kelly. There's no way, right?

Last edited by GrantDawg : 11-29-2021 at 06:40 PM.
Old 11-29-2021, 06:43 PM   #1499
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Maximum Carnage Scenario - it almost happened this last weekend, say everything goes wrong for the playoff hopefuls that need to win.

** Alabama not only doesn't beat Georgia, but gets embarassed. 27-3 or something. Georgia is in no matter what so all them losing would do is put Alabama in the field.

** Iowa beats Michigan, every BIG team has two losses.

** Cincinnati loses to Houston. No small-conference unbeatens.

** Oklahoma State loses to Baylor. Every Big 12 team has two losses.

So then.

1. Georgia
2. Notre Dame by default

I think there would be about 6-8, maybe even 10 teams with quite similar resumes for 3 and 4 at that point. You might as well draw the names out of a hat.

Which means 3. Alabama and 4. Ohio State probably, because when in doubt go with the name recognition?

As ever the chance of this happening is small, but it's not negligible. In isolation, I can see any of those four games going that way. It would just require a perfect storm.

Of course, what I'll be rooting for is a solid Michigan win to give them #2 or #3, Georgia wins by enough to knock out Bama, Cincinnati and Oklahoma State win to get the other two spots. Having a school out of the Power 5 make it in, Oklahoma State with their best year in a decade, and Michigan potentially being the last team Georgia has to beat ... that'd be a darned fine season for me.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 11-29-2021 at 06:44 PM.
Old 11-29-2021, 06:57 PM   #1500
Ksyrup

Brian Kelly to LSU. Of course.