Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-14-2024, 07:14 PM   #1451
Jas_lov
College Starter

Vance seems like the worst pick he could make. Doesn't make sense but he's got a lead so maybe it won't matter.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2024, 07:28 PM   #1452
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
I am not a big conspiracy guy at all, but this whole thing is very Kennedy like. Dude was a registered republican, roof he shot from had perfect line of site from the snipers position and was the closest elevated structure to where they were, yet he still managed to get off multiple shots before they fired back.

I suppose I am a conspiracy guy, lol, but yeah, the video footage of them lining something up but only returning fire didn’t seem right. Maybe that is simply hindsight now and lacking all of of the details, but they were zeroed in on the shooter. Why didn’t they fire first?
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2024, 07:39 PM   #1453
Passacaglia
Coordinator

He donated to ActBlue, right, Registered Republican means he just wanted to vote in that primary instead of the Democratic one, so I don't think too much of that.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2024, 07:42 PM   #1454
PilotMan
Head Coach

Me neither. Doesn't mean anything. His state has closed primaries.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2024, 07:48 PM   #1455
Danny
Head Coach

Didn't it day he donated $15? Could easily just be something a desired friend or crush donated too and he followed. Im sure as more comes out some on both sides will take with it as they want. Most likely scenario seems to be a trouble individual who wanted to make a name on the way out.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2024, 07:50 PM   #1456
PilotMan
Head Coach

His hat is grounds for immediate disqualification from any serious consideration.

Like Steam?

Old 07-14-2024, 07:54 PM   #1457
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
His hat is grounds for immediate disqualification from any serious consideration.

http://https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cn4v7v2g5l1o

Deleted original without clickable link and provided here because I moved to my computer and can post properly. I really should not be posting here from my phone. Probably shouldn't be posting at all some would say.

Last edited by Dutch : 07-14-2024 at 07:55 PM.
Old 07-14-2024, 08:45 PM   #1458
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

I think I'll just close this game and restart from my save file.
CrimsonFox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2024, 08:47 PM   #1459
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
I think I'll just close this game and restart from my save file.

Why did you keep playing for 8 years? I hope you did a rolling save.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2024, 08:51 PM   #1460
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
Vance seems like the worst pick he could make. Doesn't make sense but he's got a lead so maybe it won't matter.

trump always makes the worst pick. I mean the bushes made terrible picks too.

The senate race was truly awful. Vance's ads were contentless and full of trump's name. That's why really. Also There is little fear that vance's replacement will be anyone but republican in this state.
Old 07-14-2024, 09:31 PM   #1461
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Quote:
One officer climbed to the roof and encountered Crooks, who pointed his rifle at the officer. The officer retreated down the ladder and Crooks quickly took a shot toward former President Donald Trump, and that’s when the U.S. Secret Service counter snipers shot him, said the officials who spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity to discuss an ongoing investigation.

I'm sorry, what? I don't want to hear shit about how brave cops are.
Old 07-14-2024, 10:21 PM   #1462
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

The more detailed description of that encounter I read is that one officer climbed up to the roof and was holding on with both hands, hanging onto the roof essentially, to see what was going on and was unable to grab his gun since he was using both hands to hold onto the edge of the roof, and when the shooter turned his gun on him, he let go and dropped rather than be a sitting duck since he couldn't grab his gun. I can't say I blame him, if that's how it actually happened.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 07-14-2024 at 10:22 PM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2024, 11:46 PM   #1463
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Econ View Post
Why did you keep playing for 8 years? I hope you did a rolling save.

fucking checkpoints....and these controls are wonky too
Old 07-15-2024, 07:10 AM   #1464
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
The more detailed description of that encounter I read is that one officer climbed up to the roof and was holding on with both hands, hanging onto the roof essentially, to see what was going on and was unable to grab his gun since he was using both hands to hold onto the edge of the roof, and when the shooter turned his gun on him, he let go and dropped rather than be a sitting duck since he couldn't grab his gun. I can't say I blame him, if that's how it actually happened.

That's literally the entire point of their job.
Old 07-15-2024, 07:21 AM   #1465
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

To die? I'm pretty sure it is not. They have put their lives at risk, but not suicidaly.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2024, 07:21 AM   #1466
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:

Yeah that sounds like a reasonable scenario.
Old 07-15-2024, 08:09 AM   #1467
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
To die? I'm pretty sure it is not. They have put their lives at risk, but not suicidaly.

That's literally what the Thin Blue Line assholes have been saying the past 20 years, that these guys are so brave and risk their lives to keep us safe. Yet when there's a domestic terror incident they chicken out. Either stop telling me their Gods chosen saviors or tell them to do their job when it's not a black dude in his car with a seatbelt on.
Old 07-15-2024, 08:40 AM   #1468
GrantDawg

"That's literally what the Thin Blue Line assholes have been saying the past 20 years, that these guys are so brave and risk their lives to keep us safe. Yet when there's a domestic terror incident they chicken out. Either stop telling me their Gods chosen saviors or tell them to do their job when it's not a black dude in his car with a seatbelt on."

This officer being killed wouldn't have stopped anything, and it is a pretty ridiculous position that the guy was just supposed to allow himself to be shot for no reason. Take a deep breath and think about what you are saying.

Old 07-15-2024, 08:50 AM   #1469
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

So him having to complete change his positioning to turn to shoot at 1 cop wouldn't have alerted the secret service before Trump and 3 other people got shot? He would have been able to do a 180, shoot at the cop, do a 180 and shoot 4 people before the secret service took him down?
Old 07-15-2024, 09:09 AM   #1470
PilotMan
Head Coach

Nobody wants to die, suicides aside, nobody. Ever. Doesn't matter how our the circumstance. Nobody wants to.

Like Steam?

Old 07-15-2024, 10:07 AM   #1471
GrantDawg

"So him having to complete change his positioning to turn to shoot at 1 cop wouldn't have alerted the secret service before Trump and 3 other people got shot? He would have been able to do a 180, shoot at the cop, do a 180 and shoot 4 people before the secret service took him down?"

There is no way that know that for a fact, nor do I know that for a fact, and the officer definitely didn't know that for a fact. He did what he is called on to do for his job. They are just like fire fighters in their job is to reduce casualties, and the primary and most reasonable way to do that is not to become one.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 07-15-2024 at 10:10 AM.
Old 07-15-2024, 10:23 AM   #1472
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Econ View Post
That's literally what the Thin Blue Line assholes have been saying the past 20 years, that these guys are so brave and risk their lives to keep us safe. Yet when there's a domestic terror incident they chicken out. Either stop telling me their Gods chosen saviors or tell them to do their job when it's not a black dude in his car with a seatbelt on.

Risk your life, yes. Allow yourself to be killed when you are completely vulnerable and unable to defend yourself, no. If the scenario I read is actually what happened, I don't see the fault in his actions.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 07-15-2024, 10:39 AM   #1473
GrantDawg

Ghost Echon, let's just use your scenario. If the officer, as in what you said, knew that the SS snipers had a bead on the guy (which I really don't know know if he did, because I doubt this local officer was in direct communication with the SS). Then wouldn't it be reasonable for him to think that once the shooter had brandishing the weapon at him, that would be all the green light that the snipers needed to shoot? He didn't need him to pull the trigger. Pointing a gun at a police officer is reason enough to fire. The question isn't this guy's bravery. He had already been brave enough to climb up on a roof with a guy with a likely weapon. It is the question of what the f was the SS doing?

Old 07-15-2024, 11:35 AM   #1474
GrantDawg

Nightmare numbers....
Old 07-15-2024, 01:21 PM   #1475
Izulde
Head Coach

At this point, it doesn't matter what the Dems do as far as their candidate. The assassination attempt survival and the photo of a bloodied Trump defiantly raising his fist (an absolute dream image for his marketing people) put the election out of doubt. Only question now is how much he wins by.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2024, 01:33 PM   #1476
GrantDawg

Rubio and Burgam has both been told "not it." J.D. Vance looking more likely unless Trump does pull a curve ball.
Old 07-15-2024, 01:35 PM   #1477
Ksyrup

He was who I thought all along, but I'm surprised he's going with the guy with facial hair. Apparently he's got a Steinbrenner-like hang-up about facial hair, and Vance - without a beard - looks like he's 12.
Old 07-15-2024, 01:38 PM   #1478
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Lot of folks here who rode hard for Biden the past few years going to look real dumb in November.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2024, 01:40 PM   #1479
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
seriously Rainmaker, you have nearly 2.5 times the number of posts in this thread as the next poster, and 90% of them are a variation of the same three posts. What do you feel you are adding to the discussion?
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2024, 01:43 PM   #1480
GrantDawg

Quote:
He was who I thought all along, but I'm surprised he's going with the guy with facial hair. Apparently he's got a Steinbrenner-like hang-up about facial hair, and Vance - without a beard - looks like he's 12.
I really thought it would be the boring guy.
Old 07-15-2024, 01:52 PM   #1481
Ksyrup

This kind of stuff is so ridiculous yet so expected at the same time. It's hard to turn off the "culture war" spigot when that's all that comes out of your mouth:

Quote:
But one specific theme is already emerging, and it’s a perennial GOP favorite. Committee member Rep. Tim Burchett (R-Tenn.) cited diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) efforts as a potential culprit for any failings by the Secret Service. He told Fox News:

Somebody really dropped the ball. You've got a DEI, basically—a DEI initiative person who heads up our Secret Service. You know, she was working at Pepsi before this. I know she was a former Secret Service agent, but still, this is what happens when you don't put the best players in.
Old 07-15-2024, 01:53 PM   #1482
Ksyrup

Quote:
I really thought it would be the boring guy.

Maybe all the raging and tweeting at 3am from the bathroom is catching up to Trump. Vance isn't even 40. He has shown he can be the bulldog. Maybe that's going to be his primary role. He's got the energy and obvious talent (such as it is) for it.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 07-15-2024 at 01:54 PM.
Old 07-15-2024, 01:55 PM   #1483
Atocep
Coordinator

For those that wonder why people keep bending the knee, Vance jumped on the MAGA train after saying he could be America's Hitler and now he's likely the next VP.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2024, 01:55 PM   #1484
cuervo72
Head Coach

"We should really only be hiring white men for everything."

(Note: next administration will only hire white men for everything. Except maybe for the spokemodels.)
Old 07-15-2024, 02:04 PM   #1485
GrantDawg

This is a big throwback, but so cool...

Old 07-15-2024, 02:06 PM   #1486
GrantDawg

I had no remembrance that Gerald Ford was the odds-on favorite. I just remembered Bush was so tough on Reagan in the primary and was shocked he ended up the nominee. Of course, I was only 11.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 07-15-2024 at 02:07 PM.
Old 07-15-2024, 02:08 PM   #1487
GrantDawg

It is official. JD Vance.
Old 07-15-2024, 02:13 PM   #1488
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
I had no remembrance that Gerald Ford was the odds-on favorite. I just remembered Bush was so tough on Reagan in the primary and was shocked he ended up the nominee. Of course, I was only 11.

Before my time (I was 3), but I missed the date on the tweet and thought that was 40 years ago today. I thought the idea of Bush being off the ticket in '84 seemed weird, but once I saw that date that all made more sense.

Last edited by Passacaglia : 07-15-2024 at 02:15 PM.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2024, 02:19 PM   #1489
thesloppy
Pro Starter

My grandparents took me to that RNC but I don't remember anything about it (I would've been 8).
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 07-15-2024 at 02:20 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2024, 02:20 PM   #1490
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post

VP picks rarely matter either way in terms of the final vote. That said, it's actually arguably the best pick he could make. 39 years old and with celebrity power due to Hillbilly Elegy (That it's regarded as problematic and inaccurate is irrelevant - the people who take issue with the memoir are never going to vote Trump anyway)

It's a selection that will probably sway some leery of Trump's age over to voting Republican.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2024, 02:23 PM   #1491
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
VP picks rarely matter either way in terms of the final vote. That said, it's actually arguably the best pick he could make. 39 years old and with celebrity power due to Hillbilly Elegy (That it's regarded as problematic and inaccurate is irrelevant - the people who take issue with the memoir are never going to vote Trump anyway)

It's a selection that will probably sway some leery of Trump's age over to voting Republican.

He is the better pick for possible legacy post-Trump as well.
Old 07-15-2024, 02:27 PM   #1492
GrantDawg

Old 07-15-2024, 02:41 PM   #1493
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

And an actor is out of work. Trump is already killing jobs Biden created.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2024, 03:33 PM   #1494
Dutch
"Dutch"

I don’t know anything about Vance. Just watched a couple of YouTube videos featuring him in Congress. But I’m intrigued by this movie that’s been mentioned. Guess I will be queueing up Hillbilly Elegy on Netflix and see what that’s all about.
Old 07-15-2024, 03:35 PM   #1495
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I'm leaving this here largely so that I'm on the record well in advance. It's just a copy & paste of what's on my social media. If I'm right, I have proof. If you need to roast me later, you have proof.

----
Quote:
Go ahead and get mad at me if you need to but I'm going to call it like I see it: I have serious issues trusting J.D. Vance. Even finding merely "as far as I could throw him" trust.

He would have had to undergo a GREAT deal of changes of heart in a very short time span to be a trustworthy VP choice afaic. Much more believable to me that he's first & foremost an opportunist ... who is about to be placed in a very risky spot to have one of those.

To coin a phrase "“I don’t think he actually cares about folks. I think he just recognizes that there was a hole in the conversation,”

Oh wait, that's not an original line. That's actually what Vance said about Trump in the fall of 2016.

It's not nearly as bad a choice as some other names that were floated, that's for certain. There were FAR worse choices available. The immediate handwringing from garbage outlets ranging from Vox to the NYT is certainly encouraging. And I have certainly said numerous times that I'm at the point where getting positions right matters far more to me than the motivation for getting them right.

But given some of the comically tragic choices Trump has made for various jobs in the past, it seems fair to say that hiring really isn't something that's been a strong suit for him in recent years.

Damned if I can feel bad being skeptical.
Old 07-15-2024, 04:18 PM   #1496
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

This is kind of nuts.

Alleged Trump shooter spotted by law enforcement nearly 30 minutes before shots fired, sources say – WPXI
Old 07-15-2024, 04:23 PM   #1497
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
I don’t know anything about Vance. Just watched a couple of YouTube videos featuring him in Congress. But I’m intrigued by this movie that’s been mentioned. Guess I will be queueing up Hillbilly Elegy on Netflix and see what that’s all about.

It's got some problems, especially the fact that Middletown, OH is not in Appalachia, but the overall message of people are responsible for their choices has merit. The problem is he figured out his political career depended on renouncing everything he says in his book and blaming all the problems on liberal elites.
Old 07-15-2024, 04:28 PM   #1498
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

I hate how liberals are so obsessed with celebrity and the elites, like how their most revered President was an actor and their current candidate is a reality TV star and how their VP pick is an author.
Old 07-15-2024, 04:39 PM   #1499
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Never seen the film adaptation but the book boils down to blaming people in rural areas issues on laziness and their culture. He was pretty critical of Trump at the time and I believe even called him Hitler. Then Peter Thiel bought him and he just says what he's told now.

Liberals loved the book because it's basically their point of view. Although I found it funny that Vance blames "elites" when he went to an Ivy League school and entrenched himself with rich elites who helped launch his political career.

I don't think there is anything special about him. He'll just say and do what he's told which is kind of why he's probably appealing to the establishment.

Last edited by RainMaker : 07-15-2024 at 04:40 PM.
Old 07-15-2024, 04:54 PM   #1500
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Liberals loved the book because it's basically their point of view. Although I found it funny that Vance blames "elites" when he went to an Ivy League school and entrenched himself with rich elites who helped launch his political career.

That describes almost every single MAGA conservative. Ivy League grads, most born with money. They play to the down home folks that they would never want to spend ten minutes with.