Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-23-2009, 06:13 PM   #1451
TurnerONU22
High School Varsity

So, ML, is "BrianBurke" still going to be around?
TurnerONU22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 06:46 PM   #1452
Logan
Head Coach

Tortorella made a lot of sense from the very beginning. He should bring some discipline to the team.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 12:15 AM   #1453
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Assuming the Ducks end up having the fire sale they are rumored to be having, anyone think the Wings might take a look at Giguere? I mean the salary might be problematic, but I expect there is some way to work around it. He plays his best in the postseason and would clearly put the Wings back ahead of the Sharks as the best team in the West IMO.

I'm even more convinced than I was a couple of months ago that the future is Hiller. This team is in rebuild mode next year anyway, if they lose Pronger at the deadline and possibly Selanne and Niedermayer in the offseason.

I think the salary is a big deal. I don't see anyone taking him now. Maybe in the offseason. Even then, I think it would be a hard sell here in the OC, given how most of the fanbase feels about Jiggy. I still like Jiggy a lot myself. I am thinking Hiller might be the guy we need in net more often, though (like you).

For about two weeks now, really, I have actually been hoping we would have afire sale. It's the perfect time to do it. We have a ton of players with playoff experience who aren't going to help us much, if at all, in the future, and I think we can get some pretty good young, developing talent with some of the guys we can have available.

The great thing about it (other than the crap that has been this year) is that I feel the Ducks have had some solid drafts recently and picked up some good young talent that isn't that far off. Plus, they already have Getzlaf, Perry and Kunitz locked up and young, and Ryan isn't going anywhere for a while, and I like some of the D-man kiddies we have, although the blueline is still going to be pretty poor after moving the vest.

So we can bounce back this pretty quick, I think, and also have a good deal of cap room to bring in help where needed in the offseason.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 12:36 AM   #1454
bhlloy
Coordinator

Oh, I've been hoping they have a fire sale for at least 3 weeks now (probably since the all star break) If we play lights out until the end of the season, we get a 7 seed and a sweep by the Red Wings, and then Pronger, Niedermayer and Selanne can all possibly leave for nothing. There's really nothing to gain from hanging onto them right now.

When you look at the core of the team, the forwards look better than any time since Selanne and Kariya were together, defense is going to be shaky for a couple of years but some very promising kids back there (think Festerling is a top 2 guy and impressed with Mikkelson as well) and if Beauchemin comes back healthy, he's very underrated and should really shine as "the guy" back there. Goaltender could be the biggest problem (or at least controversy), do you stay with the popular declining veteran or give Hiller a chance to see if he's a true #1?

If they can pick up a decent young NHL ready defenseman and a first round pick, I'd trade Pronger in a heartbeat. His heart wasn't in Anaheim since the cup IMO and it's time to move on. Selanne could also get a decent return - at this point he's pretty much a situational PP guy but he can make a playoff team much better in that regard. Listening to the GM yesterday, it's clear the fire sale is coming. Just hope that we get decent returns and he hasn't overplayed his hand.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 08:19 AM   #1455
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerONU22 View Post
So, ML, is "BrianBurke" still going to be around?
Seems like it. Through all the craziness the past few days, nobody from MLSE or Twitter has actually contacted me about it.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:20 AM   #1456
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Hurry up and legally change your name to Brian Burke.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 08:22 AM   #1457
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
Seems like it. Through all the craziness the past few days, nobody from MLSE or Twitter has actually contacted me about it.

Congratulations on the publicity. I saw the article on Yahoo last night - your hit counter must be going through the roof!

I couldn't be more ambivalent about the Leafs but I still check out your blog daily. Keep up the great work.

Last edited by NoSkillz : 02-24-2009 at 12:32 PM.
NoSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 09:10 AM   #1458
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSkillz View Post
Congratulations on the publicity. I saw the article on Yahoo last night - you're hit counter must be going through the roof!

I couldn't be more ambivalent about the Leafs but I still check out your blog daily. Keep up the great work.

+1
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 09:24 AM   #1459
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:

Wow, so I just read about the Brian Burke Twitter thing; that's you? They'll probably let you keep the account but make you change your Twitter ID to "FakeBrianBurke" or something.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:34 AM   #1460
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSkillz View Post
Congratulations on the publicity. I saw the article on Yahoo last night - you're hit counter must be going through the roof!
There was lots of traffic yesterday, but 99% of those guys will never stick around. It was all probably a lot more trouble than it was worth.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:41 AM   #1461
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I think the BrianBurke thing is hilarious.

I also read Down Goes Brown pretty regularly, although usually in clumps (like 5-6 posts at a time rather than every day). It's probably my favorite blog.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 02:35 PM   #1462
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

true story: when I read the BrianBurke tweets yesterday (because of Eklund's OUTRAGE), my first thought was that ML was behind it. terrific stuff!
Old 02-24-2009, 02:41 PM   #1463
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

the hockey cousin of baseball prospectus has launched today: http://www.puckprospectus.com/

and, yes, yours truly will be involved.
Old 02-24-2009, 02:46 PM   #1464
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
the hockey cousin of baseball prospectus has launched today: http://www.puckprospectus.com/

Awesome!

Though, DD, considering you're an Aves fan, I think you're probably a lot more qualified to write the "Under The Blade" report than Will Carroll.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 02-24-2009, 02:47 PM   #1465
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Awesome!

Though, DD, considering you're an Aves fan, I think you're probably a lot more qualified to write the "Under The Blade" report than Will Carroll.

this is absolutely true!
Old 02-24-2009, 03:02 PM   #1466
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:

Very cool. It will be interesting to see what kinds of analysis are done and how and if they change the game of hockey in the future.
Old 02-24-2009, 03:19 PM   #1467
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Sweet! Will they do the predictions like the baseball guys?

It will be fun to know that the Leafs are going to finish last in the off-season, instead of 10 minutes into the first pre-season game.
Old 02-24-2009, 03:22 PM   #1468
Pyser
Pro Rookie

great, great work ML. i'm following
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 05:05 PM   #1469
Galaxy
Coordinator

Sabres host the Ducks (7 PM EST on VS) tonight. With our backup goalie taking over for the injured Miller, and the extremely physical, gritty play of the first game last month, it should be a fun one to watch.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 08:32 PM   #1470
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Nice win for the Flyers tonight. They were down 2-1 in the 3rd and scored 3 goals in 3 minutes to beat the Caps in Washington.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:35 PM   #1471
samifan24
Pro Starter

The Bruins bounce back in a big way with a 6-1 rout of the Florida Panthers. All lines contributed to the win and the Bruins really turned it on in the 3rd period.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:13 PM   #1472
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
great, great work ML. i'm following
Cool. Thanks for the kind words everyone, didn't realize FOFC was following the blog.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:41 PM   #1473
Pyser
Pro Rookie

i meant the twitter, but, yes, all around well done
Old 02-24-2009, 11:54 PM   #1474
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Cool. Thanks for the kind words everyone, didn't realize FOFC was following the blog.
So where exactly was your post on FOFC telling us that you were doing the whole BrianBurke Twitter thing? Because I wish I had known about it before a couple of hours ago.
Old 02-25-2009, 08:36 AM   #1475
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

I've tried to leave a comment or two in the past, but for some reason, I can't. I will have to look into again.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:13 AM   #1476
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I'm pretty sure I've left a couple comments in the past, but I probably used my Blogger account so they'd appear under my real name.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 09:18 AM   #1477
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I just like to leave comments on DGB like...aren't you glad JFJ didn't want to trade Kaberle for Carter and a 1st?
Old 02-25-2009, 10:27 AM   #1478
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
I just like to leave comments on DGB like...aren't you glad JFJ didn't want to trade Kaberle for Carter and a 1st?

Die!

Slowly.......bastard

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 10:35 AM   #1479
MikeVic
Head Coach

I read Down Goes Brown sometimes, but my NHL interest has gone down a lot each years since the Jets left. The Leafs were my 2nd fav team when they had Gilmour, Potvin, and Clark...
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 10:37 AM   #1480
TurnerONU22
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
So where exactly was your post on FOFC telling us that you were doing the whole BrianBurke Twitter thing? Because I wish I had known about it before a couple of hours ago.

I don't know if he mentioned it on here, but I noticed it on HFBoards. That's when I made the connection back to ML on here.

Last edited by TurnerONU22 : 02-25-2009 at 10:37 AM.
TurnerONU22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 10:42 AM   #1481
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I've tried to leave a comment or two in the past, but for some reason, I can't. I will have to look into again.
Yeah. we have an anti-Wings fan filter that works pretty well.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:43 AM   #1482
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
I don't think I mentioned it. I didn't really promote it anywhere other than one screencap on another blog. I wanted to see if/how it would grow on its own.
Old 02-25-2009, 01:06 PM   #1483
Pyser
Pro Rookie

brodeur returns tomorrow. for the first time since rolston went down october 16th, the devils will have their entire lineup healthy. should be interesting.
Old 02-25-2009, 01:10 PM   #1484
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Wings/Sharks tonight. Should be a blast.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 06:43 PM   #1485
kingfc22
Head Coach

How is that not a major penalty?
Old 02-25-2009, 06:48 PM   #1486
kingfc22
Head Coach

Ugh. Nabby lets in a soft goal.
Old 02-25-2009, 06:57 PM   #1487
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Nabby is a great goalie but there will be so much pressure on him this post-season. He has yet to win anything worth a damn and this is a year he has to step it up.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:13 PM   #1488
kingfc22
Head Coach

Big goal for SJ right after DET went up 2-0.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:16 PM   #1489
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Goal disallowed. Good call as the whole puck didn't cross the line.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:40 PM   #1490
Galaxy
Coordinator

Lalime might be out for the Sabres tomorrow after coming down with the flu.

20-year-old Swedish goalie Jhonas Enroth may get his first start (and first NHL action) tomorrow in Carolina.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 11:37 AM   #1491
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

The Pittsburgh Penguins have cleared up a bit of their log jam along their blueline as they have traded Ryan Whitney to the Anaheim Ducks for Chris Kunitz and Eric Tangradi.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:45 AM   #1492
Travis
Pro Rookie

Q for the Ducks fans on the board, does this pretty much open the door for a Pronger deal or are they still more likely to try and wait until the offseason to deal him?
Old 02-26-2009, 12:08 PM   #1493
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Flyers place Ossi Vannanen and Glen Metropolit on waivers. This is all to make room for Briere on Friday. I'm glad the didn't end up sending Powe down.
Old 02-26-2009, 05:56 PM   #1494
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
The Pittsburgh Penguins have cleared up a bit of their log jam along their blueline as they have traded Ryan Whitney to the Anaheim Ducks for Chris Kunitz and Eric Tangradi.

I hate not having access at work anymore.

Whitney has been awful since coming back from injury. He's shown none of the little toughness he did show in the playoffs last year. He fumbles the puck all the time. He does make a beautiful outlet pass, but he's regressed in the last 18 months from that 59 point season.

Quote:
Flyers place Ossi Vannanen and Glen Metropolit on waivers. This is all to make room for Briere on Friday. I'm glad the didn't end up sending Powe down.

I thought Vaananen had been playing well?
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 06:15 PM   #1495
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

If DC isn't looking at Pronger they should grab Vaananen. He'd certainly be an upgrade over their current 4-6 defensemen.
Old 02-26-2009, 08:57 PM   #1496
samifan24
Pro Starter

The Bruins destroyed the Ducks 6-0 tonight. They've outscored the opposition 12-1 over the last two games. It's about time.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:04 PM   #1497
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Looks like Brendan Witt will be facing a suspension...

Old 02-26-2009, 11:14 PM   #1498
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Q for the Ducks fans on the board, does this pretty much open the door for a Pronger deal or are they still more likely to try and wait until the offseason to deal him?

They were skirting the edge as it was, and this trip was crucial. They won two and lost two already on a trip they needed to sweep to really have a chance to make a difference in the playoffs. And Murray more or less said just last week he didn't see any value in finishing 7th or 8th either.

So, yes, I am sure Pronger is available right now. But if a team wants him now instead of the offseason, they're going to need to pay through the noise.

FTR, I hate this Whitney deal. Cannot stand it. Kunitz is a solid two-way player with speed, youth, a reasonable contract and a proven player on offense. Tangredi is a terrific looking power forward prospect. Whitney might not even be better than the three kids the Ducks are playing on the blueline right now (Mikkelsson, Festerling, Salcido). Just a crap deal.

I miss Burke. He wouldn't have made this deal.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 07:51 AM   #1499
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
I thought Vaananen had been playing well?

He became a victim of the cap more than anything. Briere is suppose to play tonight and between Ossi and Glen I think they make a combined 2.3 million which is about what the Flyers need to get Danny in the lineup.

When Ryan Parent became healthy and came up, he was really solid. Ossi was hurt at the same time so he became the 7th defenseman when he came back. Right now their pairings are:

Timonen - Parent
Coburn - Carle
Alberts - Jones

I think those are three solid parings. Coburn isn't playing as well as last year but he's still good. I just wish Matt Carle would quit turning the puck over so much.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:49 AM   #1500
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Vaananen was claimed by the Canucks and Metropolit was claimed by the Habs, who the Flyers play tonight.