Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-27-2009, 11:30 PM   #1451
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
Let's all feel good about Mr. Hansbourogh driving to his kid's game for only the 3rd time in his college career. Too bad there wasn't a division I university (That you were a basketball player for!) about 3 hours from your house that you could drive to more often. Oh that's right Mizzou is... Fuck you!

Tyler Hansbrough and the PS3 competing for the excessive love of MBBF would probably be far more than this universe could sustain.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 11:57 PM   #1452
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Let's all feel good about Mr. Hansbourogh driving to his kid's game for only the 3rd time in his college career. Too bad there wasn't a division I university (That you were a basketball player for!) about 3 hours from your house that you could drive to more often. Oh that's right Mizzou is... Fuck you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post

I'm with panerd. I'd rather have had occasional instances of outright hatred for Hansborough than an everyday hatred. Familiarity breeds contempt (unless it's an ACC official being familiar with Hansborough, in which case it's 100% man-love).

Last edited by Wolfpack : 03-27-2009 at 11:58 PM.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 12:18 AM   #1453
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack View Post
I'm with panerd. I'd rather have had occasional instances of outright hatred for Hansborough than an everyday hatred. Familiarity breeds contempt (unless it's an ACC official being familiar with Hansborough, in which case it's 100% man-love).

What's been hilarious to me really is that a couple of my closest friends are huge Missouri fans. They're beaten down and bitter in general after a lifetime of 5th downs and Tyus Edeny's, they hate Roy Williams from his Kansas relations, feel beaten down by Hansbrough's success at UNC(and both claim, possibly quite correctly, that if Quin had not been at Mizzou he would have gone there, so they hate Duke too), and then, this year, Larry Drew II, son of Mizzou great Larry Drew, goes to UNC too.

If I didn't feel sorry for them already because they root for such a cursed program, I really don't know how far I'd go rubbing their noses in it constantly. But honestly, I can't bring myself to do it, I just feel bad for them.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 05:13 AM   #1454
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Gonzaga

I really thought they had what it took to hang with an elite program. Now it's just a bunch of teams I don't care about playing each other. I may watch the championship game at a bar somewhere, but otherwise, I don't give a shit about any of these eight boring teams left.
Old 03-28-2009, 07:16 AM   #1455
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
Gonzaga

I really thought they had what it took to hang with an elite program. Now it's just a bunch of teams I don't care about playing each other. I may watch the championship game at a bar somewhere, but otherwise, I don't give a shit about any of these eight boring teams left.

You know that cliche of "if X plays their best game, they can beat anyone". Team X is probably UNC this year and that pretty close to their best game, especially in the first half. I mean, how do you beat a team who hits 65% and has 0 turnovers through the first 14 minutes of the game? Gonzaga hung with them for a while but were just outclasses since Carolina brought their A game.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 08:55 AM   #1456
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Mike Anderson just lost about $500,000 on his upcoming contract with that news.

Not at all. Mizzou has already floated a 1.3M-1.4M contract with incentives that would push it to near 2M if he met all incentives. It will be announced shortly after the season is over.

Also, don't forget that Anderson is still one of the top three being considered for the Georgia job. There's not a chance in hell that he'll want that job, but he can still use it as leverage.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 09:05 AM   #1457
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

FYI in regards to the previous conversation about Mizzou's rebounding. The system that Mizzou runs almost guarantees that they won't have good rebounding numbers because Mizzou always puts up many more shots than their opponent, resulting in many more defensive rebounds for their opponent.

On the other side, Mizzou often forces many more turnovers than the other team. The coaching staff uses a different measurement of efficiency that uses both of those stats. They take the rebounding margin and add it to the turnover margin. Anything that ends up with a net of zero or better is considered very good. So if Mizzou is -6 on rebounding margin but is +8 on turnover margin, the staff is going to be very happy with that.

Another thing fans of other teams notice is that Mizzou gives up more inside shots than most teams. That's going to happen when your defense is pushed out further than most. On the flip side, most fans would be shocked at how many fast break points MU gets after a made basket. Mizzou always has guards releasing and when a guard drives inside and makes a basket, Mizzou is able to outlet quickly and beat them down the floor.

Most Mizzou fans are used to hearing these criticisms of the system by now. After a few years of watching it, you start to see just how well it can work. Conversely, some of the stats it produces appear so foreign to what most teams want. As a result, people assume that it's not working. It's just a whole different system and conventional statistics can't be judged the same way as other teams because it can be a winning system that produces some numbers that don't match the results.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 03-28-2009 at 09:07 AM.
Old 03-28-2009, 09:29 AM   #1458
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
Gonzaga

What exactly is so "boring" about the 8 teams left? Probably 8 of the best 10 teams in the nation are left which means this weekends games should be fantastic.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 09:30 AM   #1459
RedKingGold
College Starter

Looking foward to Pitt-'Nova tonight. I do think 'Nova has a chance to upset Pitt, but they need to get Blair in foul trouble, contain Young on the wing, and and protect the ball.

If they can do those three things, we have a shot.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 09:31 AM   #1460
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
FYI in regards to the previous conversation about Mizzou's rebounding. The system that Mizzou runs almost guarantees that they won't have good rebounding numbers because Mizzou always puts up many more shots than their opponent, resulting in many more defensive rebounds for their opponent.

On the other side, Mizzou often forces many more turnovers than the other team. The coaching staff uses a different measurement of efficiency that uses both of those stats. They take the rebounding margin and add it to the turnover margin. Anything that ends up with a net of zero or better is considered very good. So if Mizzou is -6 on rebounding margin but is +8 on turnover margin, the staff is going to be very happy with that.

Another thing fans of other teams notice is that Mizzou gives up more inside shots than most teams. That's going to happen when your defense is pushed out further than most. On the flip side, most fans would be shocked at how many fast break points MU gets after a made basket. Mizzou always has guards releasing and when a guard drives inside and makes a basket, Mizzou is able to outlet quickly and beat them down the floor.

Most Mizzou fans are used to hearing these criticisms of the system by now. After a few years of watching it, you start to see just how well it can work. Conversely, some of the stats it produces appear so foreign to what most teams want. As a result, people assume that it's not working. It's just a whole different system and conventional statistics can't be judged the same way as other teams because it can be a winning system that produces some numbers that don't match the results.

My instincts tell me from watching Mizzou/Kansas that Mizzou struggles against the good shot blocking big men and that Mizzou may struggle against Thabeet in the middle. Is this a fair observation?
Old 03-28-2009, 11:06 AM   #1461
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I'll come out and admit I was completely wrong in my stating that there would be a good chance that the Big 12 wouldn't send any teams to the Sweet 16. I viewed all of the teams losing to each other the last few weeks of the season in a pessimistic light, and thinking it was a sign of overall conference weakness.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 12:03 PM   #1462
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
I'll come out and admit I was completely wrong in my stating that there would be a good chance that the Big 12 wouldn't send any teams to the Sweet 16. I viewed all of the teams losing to each other the last few weeks of the season in a pessimistic light, and thinking it was a sign of overall conference weakness.

Looks like we had 3 high quality teams this year and A&M, Texas, and Okie State all won their first round games. Sounds like a good showing to me

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 03-28-2009 at 12:04 PM.
Old 03-28-2009, 12:41 PM   #1463
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
My instincts tell me from watching Mizzou/Kansas that Mizzou struggles against the good shot blocking big men and that Mizzou may struggle against Thabeet in the middle. Is this a fair observation?

Generally, bigs aren't a problem on their own for Mizzou. MU thrives on trapping at any opportunity possible. I think Mizzou struggles against a team like KU just because they do an excellent job of spacing out, which means that the trap man has to come from a greater distance.

Bill Self not only does a great job of teaching the spacing, but his players also do a great job of actually implementing that spacing. They are well-conditioned too. All the coaches Mizzou plays tell their players to spread out, but not all of them in the up-tempo pace are disciplined enough to do it when they start getting tired. It's even tougher when you only have 24-36 hours to prepare for it.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 03-28-2009 at 12:42 PM.
Old 03-28-2009, 12:49 PM   #1464
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I like Tyler and I believe if Mike Anderson was the coach at that time, Hansbourogh would have been a Tiger.

At least he went to my 2nd favorite team, UNC.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 12:59 PM   #1465
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
I like Tyler and I believe if Mike Anderson was the coach at that time, Hansbourogh would have been a Tiger.

At least he went to my 2nd favorite team, UNC.

I'm sure you know already, but that's exactly what would have happened. If Mizzou wouldn't have gone on probation, there's no question Hansborough (sp?) would have been a Tiger.
Old 03-28-2009, 01:00 PM   #1466
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
I'm sure you know already, but that's exactly what would have happened. If Mizzou wouldn't have gone on probation, there's no question Hansborough (sp?) would have been a Tiger.

I've heard that, but I didn't know if that was 100% accurate. Not taking anything away from this years team.. but could you imagine adding Tyler to this lineup?

How are you feeling today? I'm psyched.. heading over to a friends house to get rowdy.

M-I-Z
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 02:34 PM   #1467
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
You know that cliche of "if X plays their best game, they can beat anyone". Team X is probably UNC this year and that pretty close to their best game, especially in the first half. I mean, how do you beat a team who hits 65% and has 0 turnovers through the first 14 minutes of the game? Gonzaga hung with them for a while but were just outclasses since Carolina brought their A game.

I think you're definitely right about that. Unfortunately, out of the 1 seeds, I think UNC is also the most likely team to just not play any defense for 40 minutes and allow a team's best player to cruise to 30 points and a victory. If they continue to work hard on defense, I think they're the best team in the nation. But I don't think one can count on that to happen.

Ginyard being out all year has allowed Danny Green to develop into a very nice player, but every loss UNC has had is due to defensive lapses, usually allowing the opponent's best scorer to put up ridiculous numbers. If their shutdown defender is on Tyrese Rice, or Jeff Teague, or Grievis Vasquez, or Toney Douglas, I think they're 35-0 right now and that preseason hype has a legitimate shot at coming true.

Of course, I shouldn't bitch about a 31-4 season, just wishful thinking about how good this team is now with its best defender on the bench all season hurt.
Old 03-28-2009, 03:03 PM   #1468
Schmidty
Coordinator

I've decided that I'm just going stop watching all of the talking head "experts". All I've heard all year is "State's not good enough", "State's fragile", "State won't win the Big Ten", State won't get out of the first round", "State won't beat *fill-in-the-blank*". Now apparently MSU has zero chance of beating Louisville.

All the Spartans do is win. I'm not usually one for the whole "no respect" thing, but in this case, I don't think anyone can argue that it's true.

Good luck to the Cardinals, but I think this team is determined enough to beat them.
Old 03-28-2009, 03:15 PM   #1469
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
I've decided that I'm just going stop watching all of the talking head "experts". All I've heard all year is "State's not good enough", "State's fragile", "State won't win the Big Ten", State won't get out of the first round", "State won't beat *fill-in-the-blank*". Now apparently MSU has zero chance of beating Louisville.

All the Spartans do is win. I'm not usually one for the whole "no respect" thing, but in this case, I don't think anyone can argue that it's true.

Good luck to the Cardinals, but I think this team is determined enough to beat them.

As a Mizzou fan, welcome to the club.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 03:21 PM   #1470
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Well put me in the Mizzou bandwagon for one game atleast.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 03:41 PM   #1471
Radii
Head Coach

LETS GO MIZZOU
Old 03-28-2009, 03:45 PM   #1472
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

not as great start for Mizzou to say the least
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 03:48 PM   #1473
Swaggs
Coordinator

UConn has some elite players in Thabeet and Price (plus Adrian is damn good, too). Should be interesting.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 04:05 PM   #1474
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

amazing job by Mizzou to get back into it
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 04:13 PM   #1475
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Don't tell MBBF but this Mizzou team is pretty easy to get behind.
Old 03-28-2009, 04:21 PM   #1476
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
Don't tell MBBF but this Mizzou team is pretty easy to get behind.

True. I find myself rooting for them as the game goes on as I love their play style.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 04:28 PM   #1477
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Screw it all, I'm rooting for Mizzou.
Old 03-28-2009, 04:43 PM   #1478
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I can't believe all these people who are going to the dark side...Darth MBBF has fooled you all!
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 05:06 PM   #1479
Radii
Head Coach

GO GO GO MIZZOU!
Old 03-28-2009, 05:16 PM   #1480
Radii
Head Coach

Missouri really should be leading here, just so many good looks that are rimming out.
Old 03-28-2009, 05:31 PM   #1481
SackAttack
Head Coach

I'm starting to get that sinking feeling in my gut about the outcome of this one, but it's all good.

I wasn't expecting a win against UConn. Fervently hoping for, yes, but if their last win of the year was that game against Memphis, it's a good high note to go out on.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 05:37 PM   #1482
Radii
Head Coach

That was a big 4 point stretch there for mizzou. All they need is 1 or 2 three pointers to fall
Old 03-28-2009, 05:38 PM   #1483
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

What is wrong with the picture on the front page of ESPN?
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 05:40 PM   #1484
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauboy1 View Post
What is wrong with the picture on the front page of ESPN?

haha that's a nice empty stadium behind them.
Old 03-28-2009, 05:43 PM   #1485
Schmidty
Coordinator

How many times are they going to say that one UConn player is "from the Bronx"? What's so interesting about that?
Old 03-28-2009, 05:44 PM   #1486
MJ4H
Coordinator

only tough people survive the bronx man
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 05:46 PM   #1487
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
only tough people survive the bronx man

Like Jo from "The Facts of Life". She was hardcore.
Old 03-28-2009, 05:58 PM   #1488
Radii
Head Coach

grats uconn, great season for mizzou, the future is definitely bright there. Its frustrating that Mizzou had so many open shots just rim out, I don't want to say "they should have won" but they were right there and easily could have won.
Old 03-28-2009, 06:40 PM   #1489
SportsDino
College Prospect

There does seem to be very little love from the media/announcers for the Spartans. Hopefully Izzo's team shoves it down their piehole.

So far in the tourney they have looked sloppy, I think the team is still young and needs to find its rhythm, especially on offense. They seem in the general offense to be nervous, then a timeout gets called, Izzo draws up something, and they put together a nice play.

The good thing is I think the games have been getting progressively harder, so I'm hoping these kids got enough sense beat into them by the time they hit Louisville that they clean up their errors (particularly stupid turnovers from sloppy passing).

Also Suton has earned my respect these last two games. He's scratching out stuff from no where and working his ass off, standing out through hustle even if he is not a famous name. I always root for those sort of players.

Kansas would have probably won the game given how sloppy we were out of the gate, if they had more than Collins/Aldrich to work with. Spartans are as good as any team at focusing and shutting out team's key players at crunch time, but I see plenty of depth in the remaining games so we can't come out sloppy.
SportsDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 06:48 PM   #1490
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I really thought Mizzou had worn out UConn at about the 11 minute mark- they were dragging like crazy and the game was tied or maybe a 2-point game. But somewhere between there and about the 5 minute mark, the Huskies got their legs back and then some- Thabeet came back in and there were some tv timeouts- and they just outhustled Mizzou the rest of the game. Mizzou was cold from the field most of the game- did they even shoot 40%- but it was still close.

SI

Old 03-28-2009, 07:06 PM   #1491
adubroff
High School JV

I feel like Nova is outplaying Pitt for the most part, so it going in down 2 is a bit of a downer. Nova has played well on defense for the most part, but their offensive efficiency is way down from Duke/UCLA(no suprise). I think they are going to have a hard time getting this game accelerated (Fields is too experienced to let the force Pitt into a quick game). I think that bodes for a close game late, where either team can win it.
adubroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 07:09 PM   #1492
hoopsguy
General Manager

I thought that Dixon did a nice job changing defenses, if only for a couple of possessions, when Nova was rolling early on and up ten.

It is really fun watching Blair rebound - it just seems like the ball is drawn to his hands.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 07:38 PM   #1493
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Traveling is just not called anymore is it?
Old 03-28-2009, 08:02 PM   #1494
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Keep feeding it to Blair. He's not going to miss.

I don't know who to root for.
Old 03-28-2009, 08:03 PM   #1495
adubroff
High School JV

Big spot here for Nova. One thing which I think bodes well is the foul line seems to be a mystery to Pitt. I think that could come back to bite them down the stretch.
adubroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 08:06 PM   #1496
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Blair is a gorilla out there.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 08:07 PM   #1497
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauboy1 View Post
Traveling is just not called anymore is it?

This tourney, I've really noticed that a third step is ok now. It's sad

SI

Old 03-28-2009, 08:08 PM   #1498
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Looking at NBA draft.net, I don't get why Blair isn't rated higher. Maybe it's just not up to date, but considering how bad this draft is, teams could do a lot worse than a good defender, good board guy who already has NBA size.

SI

Old 03-28-2009, 08:09 PM   #1499
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Looking at NBA draft.net, I don't get why Blair isn't rated higher. Maybe it's just not up to date, but considering how bad this draft is, teams could do a lot worse than a good defender, good board guy who already has NBA size.

SI

He's only 6 7'
Old 03-28-2009, 08:12 PM   #1500
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Wow, what a dumb foul.