Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-08-2006, 08:43 AM   #1451
Drake
assmaster

I'm seriously hoping that enough OOTP folks gave Puresim a try to convince Markus to code the wacky little baseball into the games. I actually watch Puresim games because of that little feature. It was a good idea implemented spectacularly.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 09:03 AM   #1452
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca
but there comes a certain point in time where complexity turns into drudgery.

The fact that 6 or 7 weeks after release there isn't a 'real' MLB roster released yet tells me plenty.
lynchjm24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 09:16 AM   #1453
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangarion
So evidentally you've given the new patch a thorough test run?
Um, not quite yet. I've tried to play the 6-month demo, but after 6 hours of mind-racking and trying to get the game into a state where I could try and play something that resembles Major League Baseball, I threw my hands up and went back to 6.5. Unless that patch jettisoned 90% of the minutia and needless complexity, then I'll pass.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 09:56 AM   #1454
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynchjm24
The fact that 6 or 7 weeks after release there isn't a 'real' MLB roster released yet tells me plenty.

For Puresim or OOTP 06?

Last edited by Galaril : 07-08-2006 at 09:56 AM.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 10:32 AM   #1455
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril
For Puresim or OOTP 06?

Well for Puresim it tells me that there isn't a huge community and there isn't a young demographic who insists on playing current MLB.

For OOTP it tells me that it's a lot more work then it used to be. Having to have every level filled with players, having more levels and overall it being more difficult tells me that we will probably see fewer quality OOTP mods in the future as it's more timeconsuiming then ever.
Old 07-08-2006, 10:49 AM   #1456
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla
Um, not quite yet. I've tried to play the 6-month demo, but after 6 hours of mind-racking and trying to get the game into a state where I could try and play something that resembles Major League Baseball, I threw my hands up and went back to 6.5. Unless that patch jettisoned 90% of the minutia and needless complexity, then I'll pass.
I'm confused, what's so difficult about making somethign that resembles MLB? I can do that in about 5 minutes.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 12:48 PM   #1457
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
I'm confused, what's so difficult about making somethign that resembles MLB? I can do that in about 5 minutes.
Did you do that in your *first* five minutes, or can you do it now that you've invested a hundred or so hours into the game? Unless you are some kind of idiot-OOTP-savant and figured this game out right out-of-the-box, then you probably had to spend a lot of time getting to your current level of mastery.

If you are still confused as to why this game is so difficult to grasp, go back to page one and read the tread again - you've missed quite a bit.
Old 07-08-2006, 12:57 PM   #1458
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Toddzilla

Have you try patch 2 yet?

Seems like there a lot of people postive so far about it on the ootp forums.
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 12:59 PM   #1459
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Did you do that in your *first* five minutes, or can you do it now that you've invested a hundred or so hours into the game? Unless you are some kind of idiot-OOTP-savant and figured this game out right out-of-the-box, then you probably had to spend a lot of time getting to your current level of mastery.

If you are still confused as to why this game is so difficult to grasp, go back to page one and read the tread again - you've missed quite a bit.

No when I first started it up I took about 3-4 hours learning the interface and the game. Click on New Game, check the box that says Major League Baseball and you have a league that resembles Major League Baseball, how difficult is that?
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 01:01 PM   #1460
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

I think there is a quickload template you can get on the OOTP board that has all the right team names and what not. It doesn't have the real players, but the structure is right as far as I know.
Old 07-08-2006, 02:46 PM   #1461
Drake
assmaster

I'm using the MLB 2.0 quickstart from the Mod Team (or whatever they call themselves). Real players, real logos all the way from MLB through the rookie leagues.

Personally, I think some of the player ratings are a bit off ( ), but the quickstart is complete.
Old 07-08-2006, 03:08 PM   #1462
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
No when I first started it up I took about 3-4 hours learning the interface and the game. Click on New Game, check the box that says Major League Baseball and you have a league that resembles Major League Baseball, how difficult is that?
To be honest, it sounds pretty friggin simple - enough to motivate me to give it another go. I'll d/l the demo and see if I can wind myself through a season and see how much I can pick up. Thanks for the help, gentlemen.
Old 07-08-2006, 04:17 PM   #1463
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Where has Troy been? I would love to hear some thoughts from him on patch #2.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 04:28 PM   #1464
LionsFan10
High School Varsity

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake
I'm using the MLB 2.0 quickstart from the Mod Team (or whatever they call themselves). Real players, real logos all the way from MLB through the rookie leagues.

Personally, I think some of the player ratings are a bit off ( ), but the quickstart is complete.

Where did you aquire this MLB quickstart? I've been looking all over for an MLB set-up but I haven't found one yet. Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong spots though
Old 07-08-2006, 04:38 PM   #1465
Mantle2600
High School Varsity

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...d.php?t=123258

Here

Browns. Cavs. Tribe. Buckeyes. Period.
Mantle2600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 09:10 PM   #1466
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
Where has Troy been? I would love to hear some thoughts from him on patch #2.

Moving into his new place in, what, Denver, I think?
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 12:46 AM   #1467
RainMaker
General Manager

The quickstart doesn't really work. It's imported from 6.51 and the game had some major importing problems. Just sim a season and you'll see what I mean. No HBP, too many complete games, etc.

It is odd that they don't have a roster set out. I can't think of a past version that didn't have one out within a week of the game's release. It seems they hedged their bets on some guys who care more about their board ego than being part of the mod community. They've taken attacks at others for discussing making their own sets and haven't given any updates on progress or potential releases.

That's fine and dandy, but perhaps those are the people who shouldn't be given the keys to the car a couple months before launch to make the rosters. Next year they should open it up to other roster makers so they aren't in a situation where the 2006 opening day rosters are coming out closer to 2007 opening day.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 03:08 AM   #1468
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker
The quickstart doesn't really work. It's imported from 6.51 and the game had some major importing problems. Just sim a season and you'll see what I mean. No HBP, too many complete games, etc.

It is odd that they don't have a roster set out. I can't think of a past version that didn't have one out within a week of the game's release. It seems they hedged their bets on some guys who care more about their board ego than being part of the mod community. They've taken attacks at others for discussing making their own sets and haven't given any updates on progress or potential releases.

That's fine and dandy, but perhaps those are the people who shouldn't be given the keys to the car a couple months before launch to make the rosters. Next year they should open it up to other roster makers so they aren't in a situation where the 2006 opening day rosters are coming out closer to 2007 opening day.

Problem is with OOTP 2006, it's more difficult to do some of the customization things that were a snap in the past. Logos didn't really work right for me until the 1.02 beta patch, and quickstarts allowed me to save a league setup, but not to randomize rosters and such whenever I used it. Again, it wasn't 'til 1.02 when they added world templates that that became easier.

I'm not surprised rosters aren't out at this point, especially with 17 minor leagues, etc etc.
Old 07-09-2006, 04:38 AM   #1469
Marc Duffy
SI Games

I got pretty much every rosterset maker involved in the beta process but I heard on Friday the first one would be released this weekend.
Marc Duffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 08:33 AM   #1470
RainMaker
General Manager

Thanks Marc, you really are doing a great job with the community.

Rosters have always been a big part of the game. Everyone appreciates the work the guys do on them, it's just in the past there was a lot more communication on the boards about it. It seemed the guys making them this year were more into the power trip than the community. Whatever floats their boat I guess. I think a lot of people didn't even know if the rosters were going to come out or not this year. Figure that maybe the sticky up there isn't really warranted.

Nonetheless, I willa dd that the patch is fantastic. Although it didn't add a lot of features I enjoyed in 6.51, it signifigantly improved a lot of areas in the game. You guys did a great job with it. I'd recommend to anyone who is holding off on buying the game to pick it up now.

I think if they can get some of the 6.51 features back next year along with some tweaks, the game should be real solid. I'm officially making the switch to 2006 for good and putting my 6.51 league to a proper rest.

Last edited by RainMaker : 07-09-2006 at 08:35 AM.
Old 07-09-2006, 09:57 PM   #1471
Galaril
Pro Starter

I am wondering is anyone playing this and how is the 1.02 patch? I know the main board ootp says it's good but I don't follow things that are said a games parent forum usually. I would just download the demo but I heard it hasn't been extended or updated yet. I am particularly interested in game managment. Is the one pitch mode working now for solo paleyr or is it still each pitch style only?
Old 07-09-2006, 10:05 PM   #1472
LionsFan10
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril
I am wondering is anyone playing this and how is the 1.02 patch? I know the main board ootp says it's good but I don't follow things that are said a games parent forum usually. I would just download the demo but I heard it hasn't been extended or updated yet. I am particularly interested in game managment. Is the one pitch mode working now for solo paleyr or is it still each pitch style only?

Would you follow this forum when/if the new Front Office Football is relased, and people say it's good? Just wonderin'

And to answer your question, it's better than before, but there's still work to be done. It's a "work in progress" I believe is what they're calling it.
Old 07-09-2006, 10:07 PM   #1473
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

It's working well for me, but I'm not playing 40-50 years at a time
Old 07-09-2006, 10:19 PM   #1474
GoSeahawks
High School Varsity

I simmed 82 seasons and there are 31 players with 700+ career homers. The leader has just under 1,100.

Before the patch I simmed several 100+ year leagues and never saw numbers close to that.
GoSeahawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 10:34 PM   #1475
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSeahawks
I simmed 82 seasons and there are 31 players with 700+ career homers. The leader has just under 1,100.

Before the patch I simmed several 100+ year leagues and never saw numbers close to that.

Post that in the tech support forum. It's worth bringing to folks' attention.

I would also suggest re-running the test with new player generation and seeing if this is normal for you, or if it's a one-off. We had one guy getting double play numbers 2x higher than they should have been, but nobody else could reproduce it.
Old 07-10-2006, 01:58 AM   #1476
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

Not saying that should happen, but it isn't as far fetched as you might think. If you think of playing 82 seasons with the current structur and steroid era of baseball, how many 700 homer guys will we have at this pace in 82 years? I could name 5 or so young guys right now who have legit shots at 700 homers. A-Rod could end up with 900+.
Old 07-10-2006, 02:06 AM   #1477
Marc Duffy
SI Games

What SackAttack said, the Tech support baord is the way forward.

We are directing every issue, however small, through this forum so we can manage the whole process as best we can.
Old 07-10-2006, 08:59 AM   #1478
Drake
assmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker
Not saying that should happen, but it isn't as far fetched as you might think. If you think of playing 82 seasons with the current structur and steroid era of baseball, how many 700 homer guys will we have at this pace in 82 years? I could name 5 or so young guys right now who have legit shots at 700 homers. A-Rod could end up with 900+.

That's a great point.
Old 07-10-2006, 10:00 AM   #1479
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Very true about the current pace of home runs. That said, I think I'll cut down on them when I get a serious career started. I preferred when 50 home runs in a season was a big deal and 60 was almost unthinkable.
Old 07-10-2006, 09:39 PM   #1480
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionsFan10
Would you follow this forum when/if the new Front Office Football is relased, and people say it's good? Just wonderin'

And to answer your question, it's better than before, but there's still work to be done. It's a "work in progress" I believe is what they're calling it.

All due respect to OOTP's boards but they aren't FOFC boards
Old 07-10-2006, 09:53 PM   #1481
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

We are FOFC.

Although we could be... SSC (sports sim central)

Last edited by MizzouRah : 07-10-2006 at 09:55 PM.
Old 07-10-2006, 10:01 PM   #1482
GoSeahawks
High School Varsity

Gamerankings should link FOFC game threads to their review section.
GoSeahawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 08:40 AM   #1483
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Gamerankings should link FOFC game threads to their review section.

Old 07-11-2006, 01:46 PM   #1484
rwd59
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Duffy
Ambitious is a word used a lot for OOTP.

To me ambitious is like me taking my 2 for Tuesday Subway to work with me and thinking I could feed my best friend co-worker and then deciding to feed all the other people in the building as well. Everybody gets something......but is anybody really any better off than they were?
rwd59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 02:11 PM   #1485
TroyF
Coordinator

Sorry guys, I have been extremely busy with a move and no stable internet connection. (that all changes on Friday, right in time for a business trip to Seattle for a week).

I believe the progress has been pretty steady. There are still issues I'm concerned about. Long term salary structure got way out of wack in the released patch. There is fewer movement of players in patch 2, but it's still to high. It needs to be lowered. The forty man roster is also an issue still.

All of that said, there are a ton of things that are greatly improved. Reliever usage at the end of the games is incredibly improved from where it was at. I think the in game AI decisions have improved overall.

I'm encouraged by how the process is working. I still believe there is more to go, but I think SI is on the right track.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 03:02 PM   #1486
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwd59
To me ambitious is like me taking my 2 for Tuesday Subway to work with me and thinking I could feed my best friend co-worker and then deciding to feed all the other people in the building as well. Everybody gets something......but is anybody really any better off than they were?

This thread has mad troll-attracting skills.
Old 07-11-2006, 03:23 PM   #1487
rwd59
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthousekeeper
This thread has mad troll-attracting skills.

Bottom line. I coach and get paid to do it not a Rec league volunteer. It is always better to do a few things and do them all well than do many things but only do a few of them well. Don't waste time putting in more stuff until you can do what you already do well.

Last edited by rwd59 : 07-11-2006 at 03:25 PM.
Old 07-11-2006, 03:26 PM   #1488
Johnny Slick
Mascot

Quote:
Bottom line. I coach and get paid to do it not a Rec league volunteer. It is always better to do a few things and do them all well than do many things but only do a few of them well. Don't waste time putting in more stuff until you can do what you already do well.
Rob in Phoenix, is that you?
Johnny Slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 04:16 PM   #1489
rwd59
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Slick
Rob in Phoenix, is that you?

No I am the same me I have been on the OOTP forums for years. I just came here because of an OOTP thread and decided to register here today. I've had OOTP since OOTP '99 but this one I am just not sure I want. I screwed up and got the demo when it first came out (like I have every other version of OOTP before this one). It led me towards not buying. But they supposedly made strides with the latest patch so I am still considering it. However they are having problems extending the demo. Probably a good thing anyway because I probably should wait a patch or 2 more before trying the demo again anyway. One thing I do know for sure about this years OOTP.... I wouldn't have bought Puresim without it. The question is will I go back? Just don't know right now.
Old 07-11-2006, 04:32 PM   #1490
Johnny Slick
Mascot

6.5 was directly responsible for me buying Puresim too. I haven't even looked at it since OOTP2006 came out, but I understand where you're coming from. 6.5 was about a version and a half more than what the old engine could support.
Johnny Slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 07:11 PM   #1491
rwd59
n00b

You know, I was wondering why, if this is a total rewrite, many of the same problems exist that existed before? Als0, Puresim 2007 is nothing like the previous version I had (2004). I got it back then when I had a hardware problem that only affected OOTP.

Last edited by rwd59 : 07-11-2006 at 07:13 PM.
Old 07-11-2006, 08:01 PM   #1492
ScottVib
High School Varsity

Quote:
You know, I was wondering why, if this is a total rewrite, many of the same problems exist that existed before?

The easiest/most likely explanation is that some of the errors were in the design. As a result, while the code may be different, the original flaw remains.
ScottVib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 08:54 PM   #1493
rwd59
n00b

I know OOTP is probably no different than any other game that is being sold to the public with the intention of making a profit but if there were areas known to be broke and he had access to SI's help why not get the help needed to fix those things rather than put the same bad/broken design into the new code. And if they did give all the help they could, then why not remove them from the game. I would rather be told "it can't be done correctly" than give me back a broken feature.
Old 07-11-2006, 09:10 PM   #1494
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

If you haven't patched, don't bother. I patched tonight to check out Cubbyfan's rosters. The AI is no better as far as I can tell on the rosters. The AI made just ridiculous changes to my minor league teams - 31 year olds were demoted from AAA to Rookie level. Just the typical scores of crazy moves every few days. If it's improved it's still close to ready for prime time.
Old 07-11-2006, 09:47 PM   #1495
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
If you haven't patched, don't bother. I patched tonight to check out Cubbyfan's rosters. The AI is no better as far as I can tell on the rosters. The AI made just ridiculous changes to my minor league teams - 31 year olds were demoted from AAA to Rookie level. Just the typical scores of crazy moves every few days. If it's improved it's still close to ready for prime time.
I disagree - I've been playing for the past week and despite some questionable trades, I'm starting to enjoy it.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:30 PM   #1496
GabeRivers
n00b

Quote:

It's rather hidden, and I'm surprised that given the many legitimate complaints they didn't herald it, but if you'll turn on commissioner mode, you can then go to the "home\options & ballparks" page of your minor league team and there is a check box that allows you to "Prevent any AI roster changes". I've tried it and so far it seems to work. The check box, for some reason, seems to only be available in commissioner mode.
GabeRivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 10:51 PM   #1497
SackAttack
Head Coach

I've been protesting over roster moves for a while. The biggest issue for me was in early 1.02, I had a relief pitcher with pretty good potential but only 10 endurance. AI kept trying to make him a starter, I kept changing him back to a closer.

I haven't had that perfect storm crop up again, so I don't know if the game is still doing that, but the whole 'AI messes with minor leaguers when it shouldn't' bit is something I've been very vocal about on the patch team.

I don't mind the AI using discretion to field legal rosters and the like, but it shouldn't be moving players around the levels without my consent, and it shouldn't be overriding my personnel decisions. Not if I'm the damn general manager.
Old 07-11-2006, 11:54 PM   #1498
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

My big issue with the new patch is the memory issues that are persistent. If you have a league that's large, its going to lag like nobody's business, especially the longer the league goes. No matter how fast the machine is...

Beyond that, I'm ok with the progress made to this point. I'll be interested to see what makes it in the next patch, really and what big discoveries are made, etc.
Old 07-12-2006, 01:43 AM   #1499
Marc Duffy
SI Games

The memory is something we are going to tackle further. 1.0.2 is better than 1.0.1 but no where near perfect.
Old 07-12-2006, 06:23 AM   #1500
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabeRivers
It's rather hidden, and I'm surprised that given the many legitimate complaints they didn't herald it, but if you'll turn on commissioner mode, you can then go to the "home\options & ballparks" page of your minor league team and there is a check box that allows you to "Prevent any AI roster changes". I've tried it and so far it seems to work. The check box, for some reason, seems to only be available in commissioner mode.

It does it for all the teams though. I just had to keep running the computer manager because for some reason the game kept hanging on players in DFA for other teams.