Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-28-2010, 05:39 PM   #1451
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Correction--I'll punch him in the face one more time.

There's already a list of quality reasons for other stuff for me to punch Bettman in the face. And I might do it twice for Versus.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 05:39 PM   #1452
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
I have a feeling many more people share this sentiment. What a great shot in the arm for Hockey, these Olympics may have done more for the sport in America than any single thing since Lake Placid, at least in the short term.
Very short term, I'd wager.
Old 02-28-2010, 05:42 PM   #1453
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
BTW, if Bettman doesn't allow NHLers in Sochi, I will literally punch him in the face of I ever get the chance to meet him.

I'd chip in on a lawyer and bail money.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 05:42 PM   #1454
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
Very short term, I'd wager.

I would wager you're right that it will be a relatively short term blip. But I'll bet the small number of fans we do gain for the sport from this event will be quite a bit more than we would have gotten through a normal regular season to this point. So I'll take it.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 02-28-2010, 05:43 PM   #1455
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor View Post
I'd chip in on a lawyer and bail money.

Heh...if it comes to be, I am hoping someone will start a "Chief Rum Defense" fund here at FOFC.

Old 02-28-2010, 05:47 PM   #1456
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

If you punch him twice for Versus, I'll chip in

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 05:48 PM   #1457
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Picture from the bar we were watching at. What was nice was when Miller got his medal the whole place roared for him and gave him a standing ovation.

Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 05:49 PM   #1458
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I'm especially going to try to punch him in Canada if possible. I don't know if they have a jury system, but if they do, my guess is they won't find 12 people who would convict me.

Old 02-28-2010, 05:52 PM   #1459
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm especially going to try to punch him in Canada if possible. I don't know if they have a jury system, but if they do, my guess is they won't find 12 people who would convict me.

I'd say "try to do it in Winnipeg" but lord knows he'd never go there.

SI

Old 02-28-2010, 05:53 PM   #1460
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I'd say "try to do it in Winnipeg" but lord knows he'd never go there.

's Okay, neither would anyone else
Old 02-28-2010, 05:54 PM   #1461
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:

LMFAO

I'll bet Balsille would foot your whole legal fees.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
Old 02-28-2010, 05:55 PM   #1462
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
If you punch him twice for Versus, I'll chip in

I imagine some Comcast stockholders might pitch in as well.
Old 02-28-2010, 05:58 PM   #1463
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Had to pause, just saw the rest. Great game. Grats Canada.

Just why did it have to be that punk to score? Any other player on the team would have bee fine except that punk.

I'll retract my douchebag comment with the ovation that Miller was gven at the end.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 06:04 PM   #1464
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Agreed, that was really classy of the Canadian fans.

Old 02-28-2010, 06:07 PM   #1465
bbor
Pro Starter

Canada loves hockey players.....Canadian.American,Russian...etc etc...they appreciate good hockey no matter who plays it.

After the Canadian women beat kazakstan 18-0 the Canadian fans gave a standing ovation to the Kazaks goalie.

That is being Canadian i am proud to say.

Last edited by bbor : 02-28-2010 at 06:08 PM.
Old 02-28-2010, 06:08 PM   #1466
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Great game.. so we both lost a game, I think Canada should have to beat us again.

Anyone but Crosby... I agree!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 06:10 PM   #1467
MikeVic
Head Coach

Awesome awesome game. As a result of these Olympics as a whole, my Canadian Pride is at an all-time high!
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 06:13 PM   #1468
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Quote:

Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 06:16 PM   #1469
MikeVic
Head Coach

I can't help but think that with the U.S. fielding the youngest team and Canada having a good number of young players themselves, the next Olympics hockey could be great as well (if Bettman isn't a turd about it).
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 06:23 PM   #1470
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
I can't help but think that with the U.S. fielding the youngest team and Canada having a good number of young players themselves, the next Olympics hockey could be great as well (if Bettman isn't a turd about it).

Russia is young, too.

Finland and Sweden might take steps back, though.

Old 02-28-2010, 06:28 PM   #1471
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Congrats Canada you played a good game and deserved the win.

But sorry, I can't stand Crosby even more.

I'm so proud of the US team and Ryan Miller. Nothing to hang their heads about.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 06:30 PM   #1472
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Russia is young, too.

As long as Russia keeps trying to plug KHL guys in, they won't be a big force. I think that was their biggest problem this game. They wanted to prove that the KHL was a legit hockey league and over looked NHL guys for KHL guys.
Old 02-28-2010, 06:34 PM   #1473
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
As long as Russia keeps trying to plug KHL guys in, they won't be a big force. I think that was their biggest problem this game. They wanted to prove that the KHL was a legit hockey league and over looked NHL guys for KHL guys.

Yup, I agree. I remember my bro's reaction (the Kings fan) when he found out they didn't bring Frolov in because of this. He was incredulous (and especially after seeing some of the guys who did make it in).

Old 02-28-2010, 06:51 PM   #1474
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
Congrats Canada you played a good game and deserved the win.

But sorry, I can't stand Crosby even more.

I'm so proud of the US team and Ryan Miller. Nothing to hang their heads about.

Any truth to the rumor Pronger knocked out Sid's tooth while hugging him out of habit?
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 06:58 PM   #1475
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
Any truth to the rumor Pronger knocked out Sid's tooth while hugging him out of habit?

They aren't teammates anymore so I hope it is true.

I also heard that Sid tried to punch Pronger in the balls out of habit.
Old 02-28-2010, 07:12 PM   #1476
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Crud, I hate this time. The closing ceremonies. We now have to wait 4 more years (and that one will be several time zones away).

(Watch, NBC will decide to televise live for that one. "Tomorrow's schedule begins at 1 AM with the downhill and will contunue until 9 AM when speed skating concludes" )
Old 02-28-2010, 07:23 PM   #1477
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Amazing game, and a hell of an advertisement for hockey. I know someone who was at the game and who said the atmosphere was better than anything else.

People like me are now prone to actually watch hockey (albeit with Nabby at goalie, not for long).

Hockey diehards? Is Ryan Miller the best goalie in the world? Cuz the last time I remember seeing a performance this dominating is when Hasek singlehandly took the Czech's to the world championship (was it 98?)
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 07:33 PM   #1478
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
Hockey diehards? Is Ryan Miller the best goalie in the world? Cuz the last time I remember seeing a performance this dominating is when Hasek singlehandly took the Czech's to the world championship (was it 98?)
I think it would be a little shortsighted to call him the best goalie in the world. He's having an incredible season and had an amazing Olympic tournament, but I think you need to do a little more than that to be considered the best in the world. He should absolutely be considered as one of the best, however, that's for sure.
Old 02-28-2010, 07:34 PM   #1479
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
Amazing game, and a hell of an advertisement for hockey. I know someone who was at the game and who said the atmosphere was better than anything else.

People like me are now prone to actually watch hockey (albeit with Nabby at goalie, not for long).

Can't wait to see Miller back here in Buffalo. Hopefully his teammates realize what they have.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 07:36 PM   #1480
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
I think it would be a little shortsighted to call him the best goalie in the world. He's having an incredible season and had an amazing Olympic tournament, but I think you need to do a little more than that to be considered the best in the world. He should absolutely be considered as one of the best, however, that's for sure.

He's the reason (along with Tyler Myers) for the Sabres success this year. I think he's the best goalie in the league right now. Hopefully these Olympics didn't wear him out. Lindy Ruff isn't a great manager with goalies.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 08:07 PM   #1481
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

To be fair to me, I had already started writing this before NBC started showing highlights but they stole my thunder

Here were the top moments I saw in the Olympics. Unfortunately, we get a pretty skewed perspective with our coverage so we don't get some of the good stories but these are the ones I found most memorable off the top of my head.

Death of Nodar Kumaritashvili
I don't know how to rank this one so i just led off with it. Obviously, it has the most lasting significance to any single athlete as the Georgian luger's moments on the Olympic practice track were some of his last. It cast a pall over the start of the games and led to some international controversy. It was a somber reminder as to just how dangerous some of these sports really are.

Opening Ceremony
It's the Opening Ceremony- it has to be in the top moments, right? The powers that be kept the identity of the torch lighters a secret but you had to know The Great One would be in it, as he was the last revealed. In true Canadian fashion, they tried to have four different people light the torch at once, sharing the glory as much as possible. Even with the little malfunction, the stadium torch was lit and Wayne Gretzky carried the flame further to the second torch that the whole town could see.

Men's 1500 Short Track
The call "Welcome back to short track, everyone" was perfect as it was on the first night of events and got us back into Olympic competition. A race with quite a bit of jostling for position found the final lap with 3 South Koreans in front of a pair of Americans en route to a podium sweep. Lee Jung-Su had gold wrapped up but around the final turn, Lee Ho-Suk tried to pass Sung Si-Bek and both fell, allowing Apolo Anton Ohno to take silver and JR Celski, he of the gruesome gashed leg video, to get bronze. It was Ohno's 6th medal to tie Bonnie Blair's US medal record, one he'd later add to, ending with 8.

The Moguls
Sure, it's my personal favorite event in the winter olympics but that's not why it's here. Remember so long ago when we were talking about how Canada hadn't won a home Olympics gold. So, in the first night, they had Jennifer Heile, the favorite, take the lead with just one skiier to go. But then down the hill go those crazy pigtails of Hannah Kearney and the US steals gold from their little brother to the north in the blink of an eye.
So fast forward to the next night, a pair of Canadians were 1-2 for a decent part of the competition. But then, native son turned Australian spammer Dale Begg-Smith kicks them right off the top of the stand with a great run while an American knocks them down to 3-4. But second to last is Canadian Alexandre Bilodeau who nails his routine to take the lead from Begg-Smith with 1 skiier to go. All of Canada is on edge after what happened the previous night and they take a deep breath as Guilbaut Colas of France screams down the hill with the top time. But when the judges scores are revealed, Bilodeau takes the gold as Colas was much too sloppy, trying to rack up the top time and the Canadian drought ends.

Shen Xue and Zhao Hongbo
This had a bit of unintentional comedy to it. Over the day or two prior, we kept hearing about Zhao and his achiles tear leading up to the 2006 Olympics. Then they added the sentimental angle that they're married, came out of retirement, and still worked and practiced, living in the Olympic dormitories to get ready. Through some fluke, they ended up skating first and, in their short program, completely nailed it. They got the highest score ever, since implementing the current scoring formula. One skater in, night over and drama over. That way the guys in the audience could be returned to their regularly scheduled cool Olympic sports and, really, no one challenged the Chinese couple for the pairs gold.

Lindsey Vonn/Bode Miller
I'm not sure this is really a story to the rest of the world, It's more a product of our US-centric coverage. I don't think much of the world, save for the village in Austria where she keeps her cow, cares how Lindsey Vonn did, even injured, as I'm sure many countries have similar stories of injured athletes at the games. However, the downhill is one of the premiere events and the weather delay provided her a chance. After winning gold, she was crying tears of joy and finished about a half second faster than country(wo?)man Julia Mancuso, who got silver.
Miller, of course, has the story where he was expected to dominate in Torino but lived up to the bad American stereotype, partying too hard and going home empty handed. Well, he redeemed himself with some good ol' American hard work and perserverance to grab three medals, one of each color, and seemed gracious and contrite in interviews, a man learning from his mistakes. It was our best Olympics ever with 8 medals in Alpine SKiing and this pair was a big reason why.

Shaun White's Victory Lap
Being the top qualifier, he went last with his first run and put up a staggering 46.8, 4.0 better than everyone else. In fact, the run was so good that his first run beat everyone else's first *and* second runs so when it came time for his second run, he had already run gold. But rather than resting on his laurels, he gave the crowd a show with his Double McTwist 1260 which resulted in an amazing 48.4, an Olympic record that will probably not be topped for a while.

Poor Sven Kramer
He'd much rather be someone the American media and public forgot. After all, hardly anyone here even noticed Simon Ammann, even with the Harry Potter likeness (really, he doesn't look much like Daniel Radcliffe unless everyone who wears glasses does), after winning a pair of ski jumping golds. But, unfortunately, coach Gerard Kemkers made this one to remember as Kramer, the prohibative favorite in the 10000, puts up the best team and presumably wins the gold. Unfortunately, Kemkers had waived Kramer into the wrong lane, robbing him of his second Vancouver gold and landing in Olympic infamy. You just have to feel for both skater in coach.

Canadian Skater Joannie Rochette
Even moreso, your heart has to go out to Joannie Rochette. I think everyone knows her story by now with her mom dying two days before she was supposed to skate. Dan Jansen had some great commentary and the subject was treated with a good amount of respect by the broadcast. But then she goes out in her short program and nails it. She was trying to hold back tears. Scott Hamilton was holding back tears. Most of the crowd was holding back tears. She would get the bronze and it was hard not to cheer for her.

Curling National Anthem
Canadian curling fans were crushed the day before when Cheryl Bernard's women's team choked away a lead in the 10th end and lost to Sweden when her shot in the 11th came up short. In the men's final, it was Kevin Martin vs... well, the pants of Norway, which were definitely their own story. In the 10th end, Canada was up 6-3 and each side only had 3 stones left. The crowd broke into an impromptu rendition of "Oh, Canada" and John Morris, the Canadian third, just waited and let the crowd enjoy the moment. During the rendition, you could see a faint smile on Martin's face and you could almost see a tear in his stoic eye. When the final stone was thrown, members jumped into other's arms as the Canadians had won their second most important event.

Hockey Gold
Could you have scripted this any better? Upstart USA beat Canada 5-3 a week ago and the two were set for a rematch in the final and marquee event of the Olympics. Canada thought they had the game won 2-1 when Parise scored the tying goal with less than a half minute to play, shocking the audience into silence. But that wouldn't last as Crosby put one by Olympics MVP Ryan Miller in overtime to win gold, leading to another memorable rendition of an entire arena singing "Oh Canada", this time with their favorite team on the medal stand.
Remember that home Olympics gold medal problem for Canada? Well, that one broke the record for most golds in a single Olympics and the USA's silver broke the all time medal record for a single Olympics. A fitting end, to be sure. And, as Costas said, probably the greatest Canadian sporting moment in history.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 02-28-2010 at 08:51 PM.
Old 02-28-2010, 08:09 PM   #1482
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

I do not watch the Olympics on NBC so that writeup was perfect for me SI. Hit a lot of the good points.

FM
Old 02-28-2010, 08:16 PM   #1483
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Is this normal; for that cross country medal to be awarded at the closing cermony?

Never really noticed before to be honest.
Old 02-28-2010, 08:24 PM   #1484
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Is this normal; for that cross country medal to be awarded at the closing cermony?

Never really noticed before to be honest.

They mentioned it during the 50km today that the medal would be awarded tonight. Not sure if it's tradition, to be honest. I don't usually watch the closing ceremony (I decided to tonight, tho, but on DVR so I'm about an hour behind).

SI

Old 02-28-2010, 08:24 PM   #1485
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan View Post
I do not watch the Olympics on NBC so that writeup was perfect for me SI. Hit a lot of the good points.

FM

May not be 100% factually accurate but I looked up names and such to try and keep it as correct as possible.

SI

Old 02-28-2010, 08:27 PM   #1486
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

That was such a fantastic writeup! Thank you! (And all without annoying commercials and short biofilms about the Amercians to wade thru
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 08:29 PM   #1487
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
May not be 100% factually accurate but I looked up names and such to try and keep it as correct as possible.

SI

all the ones I knew were correct but thinking about it now, I think you forgot another important one in the Slovenian who fell down the ditch and won a bronze medal in cross country skiing despite suffering four broken ribs and a collapsed lung.

Not sure this is well known outside of Canada but her and Rochette were awarded the Terry Fox award that is given to athletes who embody the same spirit he did.
http://www.vancouversun.com/Rochette...650/story.html

FM
Old 02-28-2010, 08:32 PM   #1488
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Another interesting story may be the German speed skater yesterday that fell down near the finish line in the pursuit and thought that she had cost her team. She went through the full sectrum of emotions in a matter of 30 second or so.
Old 02-28-2010, 08:34 PM   #1489
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

My favorite story that I didn't include was Holcomb and the American bobsledders but I can't imagine anyone outside of the US is interested in it so I can't put it up there with the other stories. It was the first gold for the US in boblsed in 60-something years. The driver, Steve Holcomb, has a degenerative eye disease and retired in 2008. He got some radical eye treatment where they basically put a contact inside your eye and he came back. He's a really likable guy- looks kindof like an average joe with a bit of beer gut in his skin tight suit. And they set 2 track records in their first 3 runs so that in the last one, they just had to not flip. Those guys were thrilled to win and it showed.

SI

Old 02-28-2010, 08:35 PM   #1490
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Anyone else picture tanks rolling through an unarmed country when you hear that Russian anthem? That doesn't sound like one that you're going to hear spontaneously break out like Oh Canada did in the Curling final. I don't think I want to hear that one break out like that either to be honest.
Old 02-28-2010, 08:38 PM   #1491
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I'd love to hear some more of the stories I haven't heard or included, tho. Again, we get such US-centric stuff and I know there are other great stories out there.

Another one I liked was seeing Noriaki Kasai. He was in his 6th Olympics on the ski jump. He got left off of the gold winning Japanese team in Nagano, tho

SI

Old 02-28-2010, 08:43 PM   #1492
saldana
Pro Starter

just a minor correction to your excellent writeup SI...Apollo Ohno has only ever won 2 gold medals...including none this olympics...his 8 medals are 2 gold, 2 silver, and 4 bronze.

blairs 6 were 5 gold and a bronze.
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 08:53 PM   #1493
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by saldana View Post
just a minor correction to your excellent writeup SI...Apollo Ohno has only ever won 2 gold medals...including none this olympics...his 8 medals are 2 gold, 2 silver, and 4 bronze.

blairs 6 were 5 gold and a bronze.

D'oh. How did I mess that up? The sentence before I even said it was silver and I knew he didn't have that many golds. It was one of those things where I knew it but typed the wrong thing. It's been corrected above.

I looked up the women's pursuit. How did we not get video of that?!? In the semifinals, there was the German woman falling and still beating the US while in the finals Germany beat Japan by 0.02. How is that not exciting to the audience?

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 02-28-2010 at 08:53 PM.
Old 02-28-2010, 09:37 PM   #1494
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
In the semifinals, there was the German woman falling and still beating the US while in the finals Germany beat Japan by 0.02. How is that not exciting to the audience?

Did you actually read what you typed before asking the question?

The median age of the U.S. audience was (give or take, based on the stats last week) somewhere in their 50's. While not quite old enough to have been born during WWII, they're definitely the children of those who lived through it. And yet you wonder why an event where Germany beats Japan wasn't treated as a big draw?
Old 02-28-2010, 09:43 PM   #1495
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Did you actually read what you typed before asking the question?

The median age of the U.S. audience was (give or take, based on the stats last week) somewhere in their 50's. While not quite old enough to have been born during WWII, they're definitely the children of those who lived through it. And yet you wonder why an event where Germany beats Japan wasn't treated as a big draw?

DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 09:46 PM   #1496
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post

Roll them if you like, but the general lack of US audience interest in watching non-Americans compete in international competition is pretty well documented. And the trend is even stronger in older demos, which were the largest portion of the Olympic audience.

Watching Vietnam take on Iran probably wouldn't set the ratings ablaze either.

edit to add: Clarifying that watching non-Americans compete where Americans aren't competitive is what I was trying to say. And watching us lose to Germany & Japan? Yeah, that would have gone over well.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 02-28-2010 at 09:51 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 09:50 PM   #1497
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Roll them if you like, but the general lack of US audience interest in watching non-Americans compete in international competition is pretty well documented. And the trend is even stronger in older demos, which were the largest portion of the Olympic audience.

Watching Vietnam take on Iran probably wouldn't set the ratings ablaze either.

I doubt that has as much to do with past wars as with traditional American ethnocentrism combined with the US-centric media deluge we encounter regularly here in this country.

Lingering Japan-Germany antagonism? Really, Jon? That passes the smell test with you?

Old 02-28-2010, 09:51 PM   #1498
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I doubt that has as much to do with past wars as with traditional American ethnocentrism combined with the US-centric media deluge we encounter regularly here in this country.

Lingering Japan-Germany antagonism? Really, Jon? That passes the smell test with you?

that was really what my rolled-eyes was about, the lingering Japan-Germany antagonism. But I don't know...maybe in the less-worldly parts of the country there is some lingering antagonism.

I fully agree that it has to do with the factors you said Chiefy.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 02-28-2010 at 09:52 PM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 09:52 PM   #1499
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

You really think 50 somethings are boycotting watching events because they are between 2 Axis nations?
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 09:56 PM   #1500
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Subconsciously moreso than consciously, and in the primary demo? Absolutely.

It's stronger with Japan than with Germany best I can tell (post-war economic competition maybe?) and somewhat ironically less with either of them than with, say, France.

But does it exist? No doubt in my mind at all.

The improved ratings for these games is largely attributable to the unexpected success of the US athletes, not some sudden mystical desire to watch athletes perform random sports at a high level.