Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-02-2013, 09:58 PM   #1451
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
I have no faith in Selig, and little interest in baseball these days anyways, but if he doesn't drop the ban-hammer on ARoid I think I'm done.

Fact - I'd be all for dropping the ban-hammer on all the steroid-users under the "best interests of the game" clause and fuck the MLBPA and their whining and their threats of strike. Let the players strike, bring in replacement players. Fine by me.

"Negotiating" suspensions with guilty parties is fucking spineless and laughable.

Yeah, fuck everyone and their contracts - we should have some guy on a message board take your guaranteed money BECAUSE I SAID SO.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:01 PM   #1452
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

FMl. David Wright pulls a hammy in a game that shouldn't even be going on still.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:19 PM   #1453
TroyF
Coordinator

At the Angels game tonight. The lf just made a sensational catch for the home club.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 11:06 PM   #1454
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Royals and Indians end their winning streaks tonight

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 01:31 AM   #1455
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Royals and Indians end their winning streaks tonight

SI

Don't know why the hell Yost insisted on putting Mendoza out there. The bullpen is well rested thanks to what the starters have done this year. Put the good pitchers in there and keep the game going.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 06:46 AM   #1456
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
I have no faith in Selig, and little interest in baseball these days anyways, but if he doesn't drop the ban-hammer on ARoid I think I'm done.

Fact - I'd be all for dropping the ban-hammer on all the steroid-users under the "best interests of the game" clause and fuck the MLBPA and their whining and their threats of strike. Let the players strike, bring in replacement players. Fine by me.

"Negotiating" suspensions with guilty parties is fucking spineless and laughable.

If the MLB is truly serious about this, I would recommend that all guaranteed money owed to any guilty steroid users is not returned to the team that signed them. All banned player contract money should be turned over to charity or dispersed among all non-cheating players on the team the cheaters have hurt. Or better yet, dispersed among all players of the guilty team's division rivals. That would get everybody on board with crushing steroid use in baseball. I don't see how we correct this problem by giving the money back to the Yankees so they can just go out and sign some other cheater.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 08:34 AM   #1457
miami_fan
Coordinator

As a Marlins fan, I want to get ahead of the curve.

What are teams offering for Jose Fernandez?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 09:23 AM   #1458
Jas_lov
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
If the MLB is truly serious about this, I would recommend that all guaranteed money owed to any guilty steroid users is not returned to the team that signed them. All banned player contract money should be turned over to charity or dispersed among all non-cheating players on the team the cheaters have hurt. Or better yet, dispersed among all players of the guilty team's division rivals. That would get everybody on board with crushing steroid use in baseball. I don't see how we correct this problem by giving the money back to the Yankees so they can just go out and sign some other cheater.

But it's likely the team's division rivals had cheaters as well. Why give the Yankees money to the Red Sox when they have Big Papi, a caught cheater. The Rays signed Manny in 2011, a caught cheater. The Blue Jays signed Melky Cabrera in the offseason, a caught cheater. You'd never be able to figure out the players who aren't cheating.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 11:45 AM   #1459
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
FMl. David Wright pulls a hammy in a game that shouldn't even be going on still.

15 day DL as of this afternoon btw
Old 08-03-2013, 01:06 PM   #1460
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
At the Angels game tonight. The lf just made a sensational catch for the home club.

That catch was insane.

Last edited by Vince, Pt. II : 08-03-2013 at 01:08 PM.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 02:24 PM   #1461
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
That catch was insane.

What's the rule here? If you don't have to land in the field of play, does anything prevent a fielder from climbing over the wall and standing in the 2nd row to make a catch?
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 02:31 PM   #1462
bob
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
What's the rule here? If you don't have to land in the field of play, does anything prevent a fielder from climbing over the wall and standing in the 2nd row to make a catch?

Yeah, i never really thought about it much, but would have always thought this was a homerun.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 02:33 PM   #1463
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post

I believe if your momentum carries you over the wall, it's a catch. You can't jump over the wall and catch it.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 02:36 PM   #1464
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
Yeah, i never really thought about it much, but would have always thought this was a homerun.

If it's not a foul ball when players go into the stands all the time in that situation, why would that be a home run?
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 02:48 PM   #1465
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Yeah, he's not out of play until he lands. That's why the runner gets 2nd base.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 02:56 PM   #1466
bob
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
If it's not a foul ball when players go into the stands all the time in that situation, why would that be a home run?

Oh, i agree my brain had a double standard there.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 04:25 PM   #1467
PilotMan
Head Coach

Samardzija's stuff is moving all over today, just not to much of it over the plate. He's got crazy movement on his pitches though.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 04:38 PM   #1468
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
I believe if your momentum carries you over the wall, it's a catch. You can't jump over the wall and catch it.

I will admit o having no idea about the rule. Obviously, it is something that happens every decade or so. Kid made a hell of a play. The runner advancing to second ended up scoring on a single.

It was REALLY easy seeing why these two teams are such failures this year. Forget injuries, pitching or underperforming players. I saw no less than 7 baserunning mistakes between the two teams that would have a high school player benched. The Angles ran themselves out of at least three runs last night.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 05:00 PM   #1469
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
But it's likely the team's division rivals had cheaters as well. Why give the Yankees money to the Red Sox when they have Big Papi, a caught cheater. The Rays signed Manny in 2011, a caught cheater. The Blue Jays signed Melky Cabrera in the offseason, a caught cheater. You'd never be able to figure out the players who aren't cheating.

Never said only the Yankees have cheaters. I said penalize them as they occur by dishing that money out to your rivals. The Rays will gladly accept $12M of additional payroll from the Yankees from A-Rod banishement. Manny signed for 2 years $6M or something like that with the Rays. So that means the Yankees would get $1M back at the point of that suspension. Big deal, right? But the big money these roided-up guys are making would dry up as the big payroll teams Yankees/Red Sox/Phillies/Dodgers would not even risk sending those big checks to the Rays or A's of the league....too risky. And 'roids would be relegated to hangers-on rather than the stars of the league that play at those big clubs.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 08:28 PM   #1470
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
A pitcher in AA recorded a one-pitch strikeout.

Minor leaguer records one-pitch K
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 09:29 PM   #1471
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Pretty damn good start for Peavy, 7 innings + (think they left him in a bit too long, which led him getting tagged for a second run when relievers let in a run in the 8th), 2 R, 2 BB, 4 Hits, 7 K's

Of course, Iglesias goes deep for Detroit, so I guess the trade's working out for everyone
Old 08-03-2013, 09:42 PM   #1472
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 09:45 PM   #1473
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:

Bah, Bugs Bunny struck out the side on one pitch.
Old 08-04-2013, 02:38 PM   #1474
korme
Go Reds

The Cards really handed us our asses Friday and today. Jeez.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 03:58 PM   #1475
MrBug708
Head Coach

The Dodgers have gone 7 1/3 innings without getting an assisted out made on them
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 04:39 PM   #1476
MrBug708
Head Coach

So in the Dodgers-Cubs game earlier, Hanley walked and the Cubs catcher, Wellington Castro, decided to break the bat by slamming it on the ground afterwards. Very odd play
Old 08-04-2013, 04:52 PM   #1477
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
So in the Dodgers-Cubs game earlier, Hanley walked and the Cubs catcher, Wellington Castro, decided to break the bat by slamming it on the ground afterwards. Very odd play

Dioner Navarro.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 05:15 PM   #1478
MrBug708
Head Coach

Ah, couldnt remember who was starting
Old 08-04-2013, 06:47 PM   #1479
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
The Cards really handed us our asses Friday and today. Jeez.

I still think they'll be in the wild card game, and they've got the pitching to make a run, but they just aren't good enough to win the Central this year.
Old 08-04-2013, 06:58 PM   #1480
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

AP reporting that ARod will be allowed to play through his appeal.

If so, I'd say you can forget about any substantial change in player behavior until the appeal is settled (as well as the civil suits that will likely follow).
Old 08-04-2013, 07:36 PM   #1481
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Ah, couldnt remember who was starting

I know, it's really hard to look up the box score at Yahoo! MLB. It's a Herculean task. I don't blame you for ducking it.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 10:52 PM   #1482
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Tomorrow is going be Dali-esque in baseball.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 11:13 PM   #1483
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Braves.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 02:57 AM   #1484
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

The current espn.com headline is about the Royals hot run, but, um, I think the title is about as backhanded a compliment as you can get before it becomes a straight backhand.

"Wait, you're still here?"
Old 08-05-2013, 07:41 AM   #1485
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Tomorrow is going be Dali-esque in baseball.

//chanting

Lifetime...ban...lifetime...ban

//end chanting

I have a feeling I'll be disappointed though.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 08-05-2013 at 07:42 AM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:40 AM   #1486
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
//chanting

Lifetime...ban...lifetime...ban

//end chanting

I have a feeling I'll be disappointed though.

Rest of this season and all of next season. He'll appeal it and get to play a few games before he's gone.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:47 AM   #1487
Ronnie Dobbs3
High School Varsity

As a Sox fan, you are rooting against your own interests if you want a lifetime ban. Would rather have them paying for him in 2015 and him getting booed out of the house at home (or, more realistically, released) but still have him count against the luxury tax.
Ronnie Dobbs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:11 AM   #1488
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
The current espn.com headline is about the Royals hot run, but, um, I think the title is about as backhanded a compliment as you can get before it becomes a straight backhand.

"Wait, you're still here?"

I'll take backhanded compliments in August over getting excited about NFL training camp anyday.

These kind of tweets erase any cares about backhanded compliments.....

Quote:
(@ErvinSantana_54): KC Fans, I hope you are proud of your Royals. We want to bring you a pennant!

Let's go, baby!!!!!

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 08-05-2013 at 09:12 AM.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:28 AM   #1489
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs3 View Post
As a Sox fan, you are rooting against your own interests if you want a lifetime ban. Would rather have them paying for him in 2015 and him getting booed out of the house at home (or, more realistically, released) but still have him count against the luxury tax.

Ya, I'm a little conflicted myself. That contract and the luxury tax have really reigned the Yankees in. If they're suddenly off the hook for that, that would not be good for anyone in the American League. On the other hand, A-Rod playing for months and months while fighting a suspension that he might get reduced sounds pretty fun.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:29 AM   #1490
Ronnie Dobbs3
High School Varsity

I think we want both - a protracted legal battle making everyone uncomfortable, a season-or-less ban, and a hobbled A-Rod coming back after that affecting their tax.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:38 AM   #1491
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

I think I'd just like to see less than 25 minutes of every hour on ESPN be dedicated to Alex Rodriguez.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:41 AM   #1492
Ronnie Dobbs3
High School Varsity

Change the channel?
Old 08-05-2013, 12:13 PM   #1493
DanGarion
Coordinator

Three previously unknown Biogenesis players named, Gio Gonzalez cleared, 12 total accepting discpline

Last edited by DanGarion : 08-05-2013 at 12:14 PM.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:17 PM   #1494
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I find this story a bit interesting:
Nelson Cruz Leaves ACES; Hires Wasserman Media Group: MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com

Now, ACES represents a ton of players. But I wonder how this has played within the agency. And, if you're MLB and actually want to catch some cheats (dubious, I know), try to find the major suppliers for each of the large agencies like Boras Corp. Then again, knowing Boras, I'm sure his drugs are top of the line and in house so unless you can turn an former employee, you're probably out of luck.

SI

Old 08-05-2013, 12:44 PM   #1495
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

It will be a very interesting series between Cleveland and Detroit this week. Both teams have been red hot, Cleveland is only 3 games back and KC is charging hard.

It will be interesting to see how the Tigers respond to Peralta's suspension, even if they knew it was going to happen. Cabrera is banged up and has missed the last few games - pinch hitting in the 12th to create the game winning run yesterday notwithstanding.

The Tigers have won 8 in a row thanks in large part to a home stand that included two sub-.500 National league teams and the poopy White Sox.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 01:32 PM   #1496
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I find this story a bit interesting:
Nelson Cruz Leaves ACES; Hires Wasserman Media Group: MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com

Now, ACES represents a ton of players. But I wonder how this has played within the agency. And, if you're MLB and actually want to catch some cheats (dubious, I know), try to find the major suppliers for each of the large agencies like Boras Corp. Then again, knowing Boras, I'm sure his drugs are top of the line and in house so unless you can turn an former employee, you're probably out of luck.

SI

I actually think most of baseball is clean now (regarding steroids)
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 01:40 PM   #1497
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
I actually think most of baseball is clean now (regarding steroids)

As in specifically anabolic steroids or are we including HGH, blood doping, etc?

SI

Old 08-05-2013, 01:58 PM   #1498
Thomkal
Head Coach

They are about to announce Rodriguez suspension on Sportscenter
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 02:03 PM   #1499
Thomkal
Head Coach

suspended thru 2014 season including playoffs but because he is appealing he can still play.

using HGH and testoterone

Last edited by Thomkal : 08-05-2013 at 02:05 PM.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 02:24 PM   #1500
spleen1015
Coordinator

If I am the Yankees, there is no way I let him in my clubhouse while this BS is going on.