Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-12-2012, 08:28 PM   #1451
cody8200
High School Varsity

Soon, when it is inevitably made legal nationwide, it won't be an issue anymore and we can tax it properly.
cody8200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 04:32 PM   #1452
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Spoiler

Cool pic that's way too big

Last edited by stevew : 01-24-2013 at 01:11 PM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:47 PM   #1453
Edward64
Head Coach

Read the latest Walking Dead version, they killed off 1 major (on the list above) and 1 somewhat major character. Major disappointment and no guarantee the TV series will follow the comic.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:02 PM   #1454
stevew
Hall Of Famer

If you're speaking about "Lucille" I strongly doubt that happens as well.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:20 PM   #1455
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Glen Mazarra(sp) out as show runner really has me concerned.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:32 AM   #1456
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Glen Mazarra(sp) out as show runner really has me concerned.

Agreed. Hope it doesn't have as big of an effect as I am thinking, but it is worrisome.
PackerFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:05 AM   #1457
cadmus2166
Mascot

Yeah, it is a bit worrisome, given AMC's difficulty keeping and working with it's shows behind-the scenes talent, but I'm willing to give the show the benefit of the doubt until they prove they are incapable of making The Walking Dead a good show.
cadmus2166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:14 AM   #1458
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Maybe I'm the only one who does the "What Ifs" on becoming a drug kingpin? I never actually would, but I get bored a lot. I've always found BB to be entertaining drama fantasy. And funny as hell at times.

Sounds better than it is

http://www.freakonomics.com/books/fr...pts/chapter-3/
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:21 PM   #1459
spleen1015
Coordinator

Recorded the marathon of Season 3 and finished it tonight.

Can't wait for February 10th.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:20 AM   #1460
spleen1015
Coordinator

Question for those who are into the comics as well...

Are they an on going series or has it ended and I can get the whole thing in a trade paperback?
Old 01-04-2013, 08:44 AM   #1461
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
Question for those who are into the comics as well...

Are they an on going series or has it ended and I can get the whole thing in a trade paperback?

It's still an on-going series.

You can collect in two ways:

1. Trade paperbacks. The 17th trade paperback just came out in early December.

2. The Massive compendiums. I think there may only be 2 of them so far. Probably a cheaper route to go (though I haven't compared costs), but the downside is that you really do have to wait a pretty long time between each publication.

I guess you could buy the first two big compendiums and then start picking up the trade paperbacks from where the 2nd one ended. That could work.

They are incredibly fast reads. There isn't a ton of dialogue and there are many panels that are just zombies and/or desolation.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 01-04-2013 at 08:45 AM.
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:05 PM   #1462
DanGarion
Coordinator

Only a couple weeks away!

Last edited by DanGarion : 01-24-2013 at 01:06 PM.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:43 PM   #1463
cadmus2166
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
Only a couple weeks away!

I can't wait!!
Old 01-24-2013, 02:41 PM   #1464
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I believe the timing will work out nicely...

Just as season 3 of "Downton Abbey" is over, my Sunday night viewing will switch back to "The Walking Dead" which will then smoothly transfer over to "Game Of Thrones".

Hopefully the gap between the end of "Game of Thrones" and the last few episodes of "Breaking Bad" won't be too long.

I guess there will be some "True Blood" in there as well, though I don't consider that show to be appointment viewing. I record it and catch it when I can. It's on a lower tier.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 02-07-2013, 02:25 AM   #1465
stevew
Hall Of Famer

New episodes start on Sunday-

According to Feinberg/Sepinwall this season opener is a bit of a "talky" type episode. [bill burr]Oh Jesus[/bill burr]

Anyways, also the Glen Mazzara firing thing is still bizarre, and I gotta wonder what exactly these "creative differences" that lead to the split were. Like if he was attempting to divert from the source material or something.

The first half of this season was really strong. Let's hope that we don't get 8 hours of Andrea being dumb, Merle being Merle and the Governor talking and talking and talking with his dumb fake accent.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:22 PM   #1466
Swaggs
Coordinator

Not bad -- I thought the end (the vision that Rick saw) was pretty chilling.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:26 PM   #1467
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

That ending earned a "creepiest moment ever" from my son. I won't go quite that far (little girl in pilot still gets that from me) but it's way the hell up there.

I'm seeing some disgruntled chatter online at the moment but honestly, I don't know if I thought this episode could have gone much better. If anything, I was surprised at the intensity in the first half of the episode.

It's a fine line between the worst of the farm & turning it into a non-stop combat festival. I thought they walked that line exceptionally well with the possible exception of a couple of scenes (a Woodbury scene that felt a little forced and the Carol bit, which I think might be some disturbing foreshadowing & was therefore necessary).
Old 02-10-2013, 10:21 PM   #1468
stevew
Hall Of Famer

More motherfucking Lori. Just great.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:58 PM   #1469
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Dola-

I'm guessing that the Merle and Daryl Walking Dead game that comes out will feature this time when they are away from the rest of the group maybe?
Old 02-10-2013, 11:51 PM   #1470
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Dola-

I'm guessing that the Merle and Daryl Walking Dead game that comes out will feature this time when they are away from the rest of the group maybe?

My impression from the few screenies I'd seen was that the game was prequel, but you could well be right too.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:28 AM   #1471
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
It's a fine line between the worst of the farm & turning it into a non-stop combat festival. I thought they walked that line exceptionally well

+1, really solid episode.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:21 AM   #1472
cadmus2166
Mascot

Definitely a solid episode. Rick's meltdown at the end of the episode was well done. Things are setting up nicely for a larger confrontation between Rick's group and the Governor.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:59 AM   #1473
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I liked it well enough.

I think there needed to be an episode that slowed things down a bit and allowed the characters to react to all of the various traumatic experiences that were suffered over the last few episodes.

I liked the fact, for example, that when Rick, Maggie and Glenn were arguing about what happened and trying to push the pick-up off the road that you always saw zombies shuffling in the background. You also have zombies constantly around the prison. It's a far, far cry from the nearly zombie-free farm house of the second season. The issues that they are dealing with are also much more raw, urgent and grim.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:10 AM   #1474
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I liked the fact, for example, that when Rick, Maggie and Glenn were arguing about what happened and trying to push the pick-up off the road that you always saw zombies shuffling in the background.

My son picked up on that same thing & praised it immediately. I didn't notice until he mentioned it (and then when they turned the shot 90 degrees & you couldn't miss the one just down the gravel road)
Old 02-11-2013, 01:01 PM   #1475
cadmus2166
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I liked it well enough.

I liked the fact, for example, that when Rick, Maggie and Glenn were arguing about what happened and trying to push the pick-up off the road that you always saw zombies shuffling in the background. You also have zombies constantly around the prison. It's a far, far cry from the nearly zombie-free farm house of the second season. The issues that they are dealing with are also much more raw, urgent and grim.

I agree, a much more realistic touch to this scene than usual.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:05 PM   #1476
JediKooter
Coordinator

I'm not sure I'm liking Rick's mental state arc. I'm just not sold on it adding much to the story yet. I will be very disappointed if there's no other payoff than:

Spoiler

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:11 PM   #1477
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
I'm not sure I'm liking Rick's mental state arc. I'm just not sold on it adding much to the story yet. I will be very disappointed if there's no other payoff than:
Spoiler

I'll tell you what I'm expecting after last night

Spoiler
Old 02-11-2013, 03:14 PM   #1478
DanGarion
Coordinator

Sunday night’s midseason return of the AMC zombie drama delivered 12.3 million viewers and a 6.1 adults 18-49 rating — its biggest yet in both measurements. Against the Grammys... wow.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:45 PM   #1479
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Talking Dead works much better on an hour format. The other format felt like Hardwick spent half the show coming in and out of commercial break. Since the show is not currently filming, they should have cast members on it nearly every week this year. In the fall, nobody was really available, except when they were killed off like T-Dog
Old 02-11-2013, 03:56 PM   #1480
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

One thing I kept thinking when they were showing the scary silhouette of Ghost Lori was, "Wow. Ghost Lori is nowhere near as bone thin as living Lori. The afterlife must agree with her."

So far we've had Rick's psychotic episode with the telephone, him "seeing" Shane during the gunfight and now this. Stable, he is not.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:49 PM   #1481
stevew
Hall Of Famer

How much is an ad spot on this show vs a normal network one? Anyways it would be nice if they spent some extra money next year and expanded our landscapes vs getting another season on the barn/prison/static landscape. I rewatched "save the last one" the other day and I love that stand alone type setting.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:55 PM   #1482
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
How much is an ad spot on this show vs a normal network one? Anyways it would be nice if they spent some extra money next year and expanded our landscapes vs getting another season on the barn/prison/static landscape. I rewatched "save the last one" the other day and I love that stand alone type setting.

From an Adweek article earlier this week
Quote:
Marketers who snapped up time on The Walking Dead during the 2012-13 upfront bazaar paid an average unit cost of $245,000 per spot. Last fall, scatter pricing soared to as much as $400,000 per :30

Same article says
Quote:
Such is The Walking Dead's stranglehold on young viewers—the median age of the Season 3 premiere was a dewy 31 years—that the show absolutely eclipses its broadcast competition in the 9-10 p.m. slot. Buyers estimate that ABC’s Revenge fetches as much as $160,000 per :30, while CBS’ The Good Wife takes in around $115,000 a pop. Fox’s similarly youth-targeted Family Guy ($275,000) and The Simpsons ($290,000) are the only Sunday night scripted series that give The Walking Dead a run for its money; that said, when Sunday Night Football is in season, it boasts a going rate of around $540,000 per :30.

The Walking Dead Scares Up 12.3 Million Viewers and a 6.1 in the Dollar Demo | Adweek
Old 02-12-2013, 11:09 PM   #1483
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I'm guessing they sold these episodes at the fall 3rd season rate? I wonder if they will sell the next season at 4-450/30 secs? There's like 30 some spots in an hour right?
Old 02-12-2013, 11:12 PM   #1484
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Dola-I know selection bias and all that but it sure seems like everyone I encounter watches this show and I can't really recall feeling that before with another show.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:17 PM   #1485
chadritt
High School Varsity

Not that much of a bias, 12 million is HUGE nowadays.
chadritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:27 PM   #1486
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm guessing they sold these episodes at the fall 3rd season rate? I wonder if they will sell the next season at 4-450/30 secs? There's like 30 some spots in an hour right?

Hmm ... lemme think. 46 mins of content give/take, so about 14 mins or 28 :30s per hour. Minus a couple of spots that go back to the local cable systems, and maybe 1-2 that AMC keeps for themselves to promo with.

I suspect they'll get around $350k for the upfront, be in the mid/high 400s for scatter (if the ratings hold). Problem is - for smart buyers anyway - is that pricing is based on the series avg rating but the real bangs for that kind of bucks are the premieres & the finales. You're probably overpaying for the rest of the season to get into those.

edit to add: As for the money, I imagine there'll be some profit-taking for the network & some money put aside for the inevitable cast salary bumps that lie ahead. I'd be surprised if any significant amount of it went toward actually increasing the production budget.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 02-12-2013 at 11:29 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:32 AM   #1487
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:

Spoiler

Ok weird I missed your post.

So then I must have not been paying attention with a couple of episodes before the break. That means:
Spoiler

Correct if I'm wrong on that though.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
Old 02-13-2013, 11:04 AM   #1488
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Sure, but I'll have to spoiler it. I'm pretty sure the confusion lies in how I phrased something without expanding on it properly.

Spoiler

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 02-13-2013 at 11:04 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:04 AM   #1489
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
So then I must have not been paying attention with a couple of episodes before the break. That means:
Spoiler

Part one of your spoiler... it happened off screen and we just heard the noise so some people wonder if he didn't actually do it.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:06 AM   #1490
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Ok weird I missed your post.

Spoiler

I think it was left intentionally ambiguous.

Carl fired a shot, but we didn't see where it landed (and Maggie, I believe, was waiting outside for him, so it may have been for her benefit).

When Rick returned, the body was gone.

She was either eaten by fat zombie after Carl shot her or got up on her own (after Carl didn't shoot her)...

I tend to believe Carl shot her, but at this point the TV show has almost completely diverged from the graphic novel, so we will have to see.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:08 AM   #1491
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
Part one of your spoiler... it happened off screen and we just heard the noise so some people wonder if he didn't actually do it.

I was among those people ... except for Kirkman's confirmation of her death

IIRC, there's actually a more forceful statement somewhere about that, to the effect that they were surprised that anyone doubted the death because it never really crossed their minds to do anything other than kill her.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:17 AM   #1492
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
I tend to believe Carl shot her, but at this point the TV show has almost completely diverged from the graphic novel, so we will have to see.

I tend to believe Carl shot her too. Based on how he's behaved since then, I think it's true. It would actually be a huge diservice to the character if he ended up not doing it.

I am not sure if we've ever witnesses a more improved character in television history from Season 2 Carl to Season 3 Carl. He went from an annoying little scamp who did stupid stuff for plot devices and whose presence on screen was rarely a good thing to, well, a really compelling character. That little kid's been fantastic.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:36 AM   #1493
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Sure, but I'll have to spoiler it. I'm pretty sure the confusion lies in how I phrased something without expanding on it properly.

Spoiler

I really don't know if I should spoiler tag this or not, but, I'll err on the side of caution.

Spoiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs
I think it was left intentionally ambiguous.

Carl fired a shot, but we didn't see where it landed (and Maggie, I believe, was waiting outside for him, so it may have been for her benefit).

When Rick returned, the body was gone.

She was either eaten by fat zombie after Carl shot her or got up on her own (after Carl didn't shoot her)...

I had always thought that Carl did shoot her even though it was off screen. It made me think after reading some posts in here that maybe he didn't shoot her. However in this last episode,
Spoiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii

That's what got me thinking after reading some of this thread, since it was off screen, that maybe he really didn't do it. But, I'm firmly back on the side now that he did actually do it.

Last edited by JediKooter : 02-13-2013 at 11:36 AM.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:02 PM   #1494
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post

I agree with you that I think he shot her, and the TV show has diverged, but the one thing I have noticed with the TV show is the writers don't treat us like we are dumb and fuck with our minds that something we expect happened didn't happen.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:40 PM   #1495
Thomkal
Head Coach

Apparently in Montana, the zombie apocalypse has begun:

KRTV's Emergency Alert System Hacked To Warn Of Fake Zombie Apocalypse (VIDEO)
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:38 PM   #1496
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Heavy.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:51 PM   #1497
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Followed by damn.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:04 PM   #1498
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Okay, so I must have missed it. Who drove that van in and what happened to him/her?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:06 PM   #1499
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Okay, so I must have missed it. Who drove that van in and what happened to him/her?

My son said he/she ran out of the gate, I didn't see them either.

My money is on Andrea tbh. They worked too hard to hide the identity, so it's either Andrea or the geek guy.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:07 PM   #1500
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

That finish is probably in the top 3 adrenaline scenes of the show I think. I'm not sure my heart rate ever climbed any higher during a scene.