Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-29-2016, 01:48 PM   #101
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
The Group of 5 gets $83.5 million this year for participation in the current set up, plus individual bowl payouts. I'm not sure they can beat that from a hard numbers standpoint, plus I think there are several things that would argue against it, namely that it would hurt recruiting. I think a number of Go5 schools oppose this.

Yeah these were the numbers I was looking for. And tend to agree on the hurting recruiting thing. Right now, at least dudes who get overlooked by some SEC/B1G school can go take out their frustrations on the field at a program that's at least "at the same level" rather than falling into the FCS ghetto of only playing them once or twice a year.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 02:36 PM   #102
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Really stray thought here. Saw a snippet about Lane Kiffin that started me wondering something

And for some reason that made me wonder: what really IS the very first thing someone hired to come into a college HC job does? Basically, I started thinking about the way a lot of us text simmers go through our rosters position by position & player by player ... is that practical step one? Or do they go through the staff lineup first? Meetings with their AssMan? Or are they too busy figuring out where to live & the logistics of moving their family to spend more than five minutes on any of that initially?

Sure, there's plenty of multitasking to be done & all 'cause they have to "play" in real time ... but surely there's something that's actually THE top priority. I just don't think I've ever heard anyone actually say in any detail what that actually is.

I've got a little perspective here because I was a paid graduate assistant on staff when Clemson went from Tommy West to Tommy Bowden.

It was one of the most interesting months of my life.

Totally sounds like a cop out answer but, it depends.

Is the new coach bringing his own staff with him? Is he retaining ANYONE? from the old staff? Is he already on the current staff?

But once the job is accepted and first day on site the absolute first order of business is a staff meeting. If you are even considering keeping any assistants you need to calm them and not have them spending 100% of their time looking for their next gig.

You have to have a staff and you have to respect that there are a bunch of families in the sway here. So you have to treat any outgoing coaches with dignity and in coming coaches have to have that as well. The kids are bonded to the coaches. Treat them wrong and you lose the locker room before the welcome speech. That actually should happen before the HC is announced. He should know who he is keeping for the most part.

Then you address the team. Introduce yourself and get them stabilized. They are in flux as well.

Now the most critical time sensitive deal is recruiting. Today you have roughly a month to finalize this class. Who do you have relationships with that may want to follow you. Who does the staff have relationships with that will transfer to you.

[Side note - One of the weirder things I witnessed was a recently fired Tommy West introducing recruits to newly hired Tommy Bowden. Even though he'd been fired he cared so much about the school, team, kids etc he wanted to make it as easy as possible on everyone.]

Most good Ad's will have the housing situation handled. Every school has a local developer/broker among their donors. You just reach out for a high end rental and include it for 6 months in the contract to the coach. At least the goo ADs do this.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 02:47 PM   #103
HerRealName
College Prospect

What are your thoughts on the Clemson - Ohio State matchup, CU?

I don't like the match-up from an Ohio State perspective. I expect Clemson's WRs to be a huge problem, I still have occasional nightmares of Sammy Watkins. Also, I don't think Gallman will have much success in the run game but I think Watson will be unleashed to make up for it. Clemson's DL will be a big problem for OSU but I do think Ohio State's offense will have success and keep it close.

Also, who is Butter rooting for in this one?

Last edited by HerRealName : 12-29-2016 at 02:47 PM.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 03:30 PM   #104
tarcone
Coordinator

I remember the house one of our basketball coaches got. It was strange, that it was in a developed area on the main throughway. It wasnt hidden at all. Thought that was very strange.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 03:42 PM   #105
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
I've got a little perspective here because I was a paid graduate assistant on staff when Clemson went from Tommy West to Tommy Bowden.

I actually wondered if you might have some insight on this.

And "depends" was one of the first things I thought of really, so that makes sense.

Quote:
Is the new coach bringing his own staff with him? Is he retaining ANYONE? from the old staff? Is he already on the current staff?

This part, one of the sub-plots I wondered about. Again, likely depends upon the circumstances of the hiring 'cause might have weeks/months of lead time kind of knowing or might be nearly as surprised by a whirlwind as anybody else but ... I wonder what the norms are about _knowing_ who you're bringing with vs "well damn, let's see what we can/need to do here" are.

Quote:
He should know who he is keeping for the most part.

I'm taking that as "X,Y,Z are gone ... even if I'm not 100% sure who will eventually replace them"

Quote:
Most good Ad's will have the housing situation handled. Every school has a local developer/broker among their donors. You just reach out for a high end rental and include it for 6 months in the contract to the coach. At least the goo ADs do this.

I shoulda thought of that, honestly (though I was thinking more of married coaches, but maybe their wives/families are "military mindset" are just roll with it)
Old 12-29-2016, 04:12 PM   #106
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Jon,
My dream from the day the doc told me I'd never play again top the day Coach West was fired was to be a college football coach. What instantly made me say...no thanks was your last line. You start talking to football coaches and their kids have been in 5-6 elementary schools. Plus its a high profile position. Even at a small school "Sally is Georgia State's football coaches daughter. She must be rich" never mind dad is an OL coach making $65k working 100+ hours a week. It just wasnt the life I wanted for my kids. When I sold my business I hung around football fields for a year and thought about heading back to that calling, because it is STILL a calling, but the game has changed so much.The kids have changed. Ive changed etc.

Yeah if someone is a stinker it's known. Plus usually if its a move up, like it was for Bowden, he's taking his entire staff with him. They are moving up together. He will have few allies at the new place so he needs to bring as many as he can.

Funny story here, Tommy Bowden comes in and day 1 he goes and talks to Coach Joey Batson, Clemson's long time S&C coach. He tells coach B that he is not going to be retained and that the S&C coach from Tulane is coming. The entire AD melts down. Whats?!!?!?!? Batson is the best in the business. Holds numerous patents on equipment he designed and developed. A local and national legend. Tommy understands but doesnt blink. He calls his guy in Tulane and tells him to get his shit up there. His guy says he doesnt want to go from Head S&C to an assistant and he is staying put. Tommy explains that he will be head S&C coach. Tulane guy says "What you aren't keeping Joey? Have you lost your f'ing mind?!?" Tommy starts to second guess himself. He calls Joey (Joey doesnt have a cell phone in 99) they finally reach Joey at the Marriott hotel in Tallahassee Florida where he is prepared to interview with Bobby Bowden the next morning to become head S&C at FSU in 1999. At the peak of FSU's heyday. They kiss, make up. Joey gets a $75k raise and flys back home to Clemson where he remains today. Clemson fans universally hate Joey B and think he is a horrible S&C coach through the duration of the Tommy Bowden tenure. Dabo gets the permanent job. He sits down with B and says "What do you need that you dont have." Batson writes a list and has a cost analysis he has had prepared for the last 3 years. He hands it to Dabo. Dabo goes into then AD Terry Don Phillip's office and says I need $300k for the following changes to our S&C program. Ad says no. Dabo says take my new 3 year contract and reduce it $100k per year and give him that money. We can't beat the best without the best trainers. Done.
Old 12-29-2016, 04:22 PM   #107
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerRealName View Post
What are your thoughts on the Clemson - Ohio State matchup, CU?

I don't like the match-up from an Ohio State perspective. I expect Clemson's WRs to be a huge problem, I still have occasional nightmares of Sammy Watkins. Also, I don't think Gallman will have much success in the run game but I think Watson will be unleashed to make up for it. Clemson's DL will be a big problem for OSU but I do think Ohio State's offense will have success and keep it close.

Also, who is Butter rooting for in this one?

I suspect Butter is a full on Orange convert. Based on the road trip photos Ive seen of him the wife and son all decked out in Orange headed to phoenix.

My thoughts?
A war.
Could go either way.
Could get ugly either way.

This will be nothing like the Sammy Watkins show of a few years ago. OSU is much better in the secondary than they were then. They play a ton of press man and that will negate most of the quick screen stuff.

Controversial statement alert: Clemson has the best Defensive Line that OSU has played all year. AND IT ISN'T CLOSE. Clemson is healthy along the d line for the first time all year. They will roll a legit 7 future NFL first 2 rounders out Saturday night. Clemson 4-7 is as good as Michigan 1-4.

Now back to grounded reality. Clemson's LBers outside of #6 Dorian Odaniel are S-L-O-W thumpers. Slot, RB and TE seam routes are the Achilles heel. Mix in some wheel routes and its Sack or Six. This is my biggest fear for my Tigers.

You dont shut down Barret. He is too good. We will limit his passing but he will get his. OSU wont run up the gut on Clemson. They can and should have success hitting the edges rushing. Cut backs also have a chance to gash.

I actually expect Gallman to have a bigger than expected game. Nothing crazy but I expect him to be in the 90-110 yard range. Watson will be turned loose. Whether he runs or not will be his call.

I expect a 42-35 type game either way. BUT if Clemson can establish the run earl it could be like Oklahoma last year where Clemson pulls away in the 2nd half. If DW4 tries to be a hero and in turn throws a few picks it could get ugly in Ohio State's favor.
Old 12-29-2016, 05:41 PM   #108
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Someone needs to punch Mike Patrick in the throat right now.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 06:06 PM   #109
tarcone
Coordinator

I will let the homerism go. I understand it. Enjoy your foray into your fantasy world of defense.

Old 12-29-2016, 06:23 PM   #110
TroyF
Coordinator

I know I'll get hell for this, but I don't give a crap. Every official in the VA Tech/Arkansas game involved in the last call (including the replay crew) need to be suspended for multiple games. That was a joke of a call from the start to the end of it. Shameful.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 06:25 PM   #111
tarcone
Coordinator

They keep talking about an inadvertent whistle.

I dont think it will make that big a difference in the final score. But no one had a clue as to what was going on. Maybe they will give VPI an extra play after the clock expires to make up for it.

Old 12-29-2016, 06:27 PM   #112
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

The explanation was there was an inadvertent whistle while there was no clear possession so give it back to the punting team. Wtf.

At worst you re kick that.
Old 12-29-2016, 06:28 PM   #113
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

And BTW someone needs to tell Mike Patrick that brief half seconds of silence won't cause death.
Old 12-29-2016, 06:30 PM   #114
Atocep
Coordinator

Everyone else gets to see the shitshow that's Big 12 officiating.
Atocep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 06:30 PM   #115
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

This dude played college football in that he was a practice guy who got a few reps at an FCS and now he's at TCU. But a Fulbright and now a Rhodes Scholar. Not bad.

The remarkable story of TCU's Rhodes scholar, Caylin Moore
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 07:07 PM   #116
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Everyone else gets to see the shitshow that's Big 12 officiating.

And it scares me for Saturday night. Specifically as it relates to Defense, PI and Targeting calls.
The two best defenses tht crew has seen all year will be playing each other. If they dont let them play the zebras have the ability to steal the show

Last edited by CU Tiger : 12-29-2016 at 07:08 PM.
Old 12-29-2016, 07:29 PM   #117
tarcone
Coordinator

Well, this game isnt quite over is it?

Old 12-29-2016, 08:03 PM   #118
tarcone
Coordinator

Old 12-29-2016, 08:27 PM   #119
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Second half of the Tech/Arkansas game is the most surprising result this bowl season.
Old 12-29-2016, 08:43 PM   #120
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Second half of the Tech/Arkansas game is the most surprising result this bowl season.

Arkansas was +63 in the first half and -90 in the second half on the season. It wasn't that surprising that they collapsed.
Old 12-29-2016, 10:18 PM   #121
lungs
Pro Rookie

tarcone, I took Iowa in my parlay. Don't let me down!
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 10:20 PM   #122
Butter
Coordinator

I will be in the Clemson section rooting for Clemson. I usually can root for both without incident, but I have crossed the line once and for all... If you make me choose, I choose orange.

That's going to happen when you go to four years' worth of home games.

I still love Ohio State football, but it's like the difference in loving your dog and loving your wife and kids.
Old 12-29-2016, 10:23 PM   #123
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
tarcone, I took Iowa in my parlay. Don't let me down!

I have Iowa winning. Their defense has really come together after that PsU beat down.

On offense, if they let Wadley do his thing, they will score enough.

Good choice.

Last edited by tarcone : 12-29-2016 at 10:24 PM.
Old 12-29-2016, 10:40 PM   #124
Butter
Coordinator

Colorado sure looks terrible in this bowl game.

PAC 12 as a whole has been underwhelming in the bowls so far.

Good night from Texas, halfway on a drive to Phoenix!
Old 12-30-2016, 09:33 AM   #125
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
I will be in the Clemson section rooting for Clemson. I usually can root for both without incident, but I have crossed the line once and for all... If you make me choose, I choose orange.

That's going to happen when you go to four years' worth of home games.

I still love Ohio State football, but it's like the difference in loving your dog and loving your wife and kids.

Booooo! GO BUCKS!

Plus, I think the proper analogy would have been that it's like the difference between loving your cat and loving your nuts...
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 11:45 AM   #126
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

It's not too much to expect announcers to get the name of the player right when they score a TD. Kenny Hill scored on a designed QB run and both the play-by-play and color commentator attributed the TD to the RB, even when calling the replay.

I would think the ability to properly identify the guy scoring, when he's wearing #7 and the one you're talking about wears #21, is a basic skill that every announcer that gets to the TV level would get right.
Old 12-30-2016, 12:27 PM   #127
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrescentMoonie View Post
It's not too much to expect announcers to get the name of the player right when they score a TD. Kenny Hill scored on a designed QB run and both the play-by-play and color commentator attributed the TD to the RB, even when calling the replay.

I would think the ability to properly identify the guy scoring, when he's wearing #7 and the one you're talking about wears #21, is a basic skill that every announcer that gets to the TV level would get right.

The announcers have provided some "interesting" commentary during these games.

One thing that I have learned is that "you don't mind being down by three scores in the 1st half but you don't want to be down by three scores in the second half." The follow up was something along the lines of "most coaches would agree." Most? I want to meet the coach that says he would rather be down by three scores in the second half than the first half; that would be an unemployed coach.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 12:38 PM   #128
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
But aren't they in their own subdivision now anyway? As I stated in another thread, if Western Michigan can go 13-0 and not even sniff a chance at the playoff, what's the point?

I think if Northwestern was 11-1 or maybe even 10-2 instead of 6-6 heading into bowl season, they definitely could have sniffed it.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 12:57 PM   #129
Atocep
Coordinator

It's not impossible, but beating mediocre to bad P5 schools isn't getting anyone's attention. Houston would have certainly made it if they had been 12-0.

CUSA just took a huge cut in it's new TV deal ($300k-$400k less per school) so I don't see a G5 playoff generating all that much interest from networks.
Old 12-30-2016, 01:43 PM   #130
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
It's not impossible, but beating mediocre to bad P5 schools isn't getting anyone's attention. Houston would have certainly made it if they had been 12-0.

CUSA just took a huge cut in it's new TV deal ($300k-$400k less per school) so I don't see a G5 playoff generating all that much interest from networks.

I think that CUSA cut was due to their best teams mostly moving to the AAC. They were a better conference a few years back. Now, they're in the discussion with the Sun Belt for the worst in FBS.
Old 12-30-2016, 02:07 PM   #131
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

If the spotter was insisting it was 21, there could be a tendency not to trust your own lying eyes. The bowl games also seem to have more thrown together crews than the regular season, you may be working with different partners, different technical crew, etc.

It's embarrassing (or should be to a decent announcer) but I can see how it could happen.
Old 12-30-2016, 02:12 PM   #132
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
If the spotter was insisting it was 21, there could be a tendency not to trust your own lying eyes. The bowl games also seem to have more thrown together crews than the regular season, you may be working with different partners, different technical crew, etc.

It's embarrassing (or should be to a decent announcer) but I can see how it could happen.

The initial call, maybe, but not the replay. At that point someone should have piped up saying 7 had the ball, not 21.
Old 12-30-2016, 02:29 PM   #133
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The initial call, maybe, but not the replay. At that point someone should have piped up saying 7 had the ball, not 21.

Once the mistake is made, there's a chance that as many as 3-4 people are all seeing it differently, but each is hesitant to change 'cause "my own lying eyes" and stuff.
Old 12-30-2016, 02:35 PM   #134
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

I didn't see the play but isn't it fairly easy to tell the difference between the person taking the snap and the person he didn't hand it to? I could see if it was a handoff and they confused two different running backs but this seems like it would be an easy one.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 03:20 PM   #135
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
I didn't see the play but isn't it fairly easy to tell the difference between the person taking the snap and the person he didn't hand it to? I could see if it was a handoff and they confused two different running backs but this seems like it would be an easy one.

I didn't see it either, but I can see several ways that'd screw up in the first place.

Thought there was a wildcat play? Somebody (spotter or announcer) simply brain cramped and said it wrong the first time (that can happen)? If there was a fake of some sort, you can bite on the fake & lock in on the wrong name initially, then your brain kinda locks on the name and can't shake it because you're trying to describe everything else.

It's one of those things that can sound/look really bad, I'm not excusing it as anything other than a straight up fuck up, but if you say enough stuff over the course of a day or a year, sooner or later you're gonna screw something up pretty bad.
Old 12-30-2016, 06:11 PM   #136
miami_fan
Coordinator

I am always so confused by where the lines are on sportsmanship. So there are people who would get offended by the Volunteers' celebration of that kid breaking the sack record? I don't get it.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 06:21 PM   #137
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
I am always so confused by where the lines are on sportsmanship. So there are people who would get offended by the Volunteers' celebration of that kid breaking the sack record? I don't get it.

Yeah, there would be. And I won't criticize 'em if they feel that way.

Me? I was calling for Butch to take the timeout and let the team enjoy it with him. He earned that, great motor, lot of heart, 100% kind of guy.
Old 12-30-2016, 07:26 PM   #138
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post

21 was in the backfield, but there wasn't even a fake handoff. It was a straight run with 21 being the lead blocker.
Old 12-30-2016, 07:27 PM   #139
MrBug708
Head Coach

Stanford wins. Their QB might be out through fall camp due to an injury in a bowl game and McCaffrey is probably thinking "thankfully that wasnt me. That just validated my decision"
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 08:01 PM   #140
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
McCaffrey is probably thinking "thankfully that wasnt me. That just validated my decision"

Well he has now established a track record of thinking dead fucking wrong, so you're probably right.

No heart, no character...maybe that's why his replacement double his yards-after-contact average today.

Wouldn't draft the p.o.s., wouldn't hire him to haul fucking trash.
Old 12-30-2016, 08:10 PM   #141
Suicane75
Coordinator

Man, I'd hate to be the guy at the deli who accidentally puts tomato on your sandwich.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 08:50 PM   #142
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

So my belief that Michigan would give Alabama a game may have been a bit incorrect.
Old 12-30-2016, 09:14 PM   #143
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
So my belief that Michigan would give Alabama a game may have been a bit incorrect.

Super old stereotype that will make look like a Big Ten hater I know but damn Michigan just looks so much slower than FSU.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 12-30-2016, 09:28 PM   #144
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
Man, I'd hate to be the guy at the deli who accidentally puts tomato on your sandwich.

Yes.

Yes you would.

I might even be able to provide you credible witnesses to vouch for that fact if you have any lingering doubts.
Old 12-30-2016, 09:36 PM   #145
miami_fan
Coordinator

Deondre Francois has been getting his ass kicked all season. I don't know if he needs to get rid of the ball faster or his O-line needs to block better but he won't make it to his senior year if this keeps up.
Old 12-30-2016, 09:48 PM   #146
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Apparently Seminole is from the Latin Whoopus Assus.
Old 12-30-2016, 10:02 PM   #147
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

1-0-2-0-85

Michigan's defense is 80% brilliant, but that other 20%...
Old 12-30-2016, 10:08 PM   #148
Atocep
Coordinator

I'd rather have Dalvin Cook than Fournette.

Last edited by Atocep : 12-30-2016 at 10:08 PM.
Old 12-30-2016, 10:33 PM   #149
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'd rather have Dalvin Cook than Fournette.

That seems fair to me.
Old 12-30-2016, 10:35 PM   #150
tarcone
Coordinator

Hmmmm. Look at Michigan out run FSU. They seem faster than FSU.

Fuck you B1G haters. Not really. But fuck you anyway.