Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-10-2016, 01:12 PM   #101
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Sounds like a certain UCLA fan is not real pleased with how Chris Petersen has elevated Washington back to the Don James era standard.

I'm ambivalent about the non-conference schedule. On the one hand, it was clearly a poor slate, and it could possibly bite the Huskies in the butt if they are in Playoff contention at the end of the season (and yes, typing "Huskies" and "Playoff contention" together still sounds surreal to me after the hell this program went through).

On the other hand, playing those teams allowed Petersen to empty the bench and get meaningful game reps deep into the depth chart, something that will pay off down the road. It's also important to note that when the UW scheduled Rutgers the Scarlet Knights were a decent program under Greg Schiano.

Since the Pac-12 plays a 9-game conference schedule, every other season they only get 4 home conference games, so every other season they have to find at least 2 non-conference home games. Power-5 conference teams won't agree to schedule games that aren't home and away arrangements, and many of the smaller conference schools are now asking for astronomical payouts to do away games with no return.

As a result, most Pac-12 schools are having to flesh out their schedules with FCS teams and bottom-tier FBS programs that are willing to do a one-off away game that doesn't cost a ridiculous amount of money. In a year like this one where the Power-5 opponent sucks (something that was not the case when the game was scheduled), it leads to a terrible schedule.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 01:14 PM   #102
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post
At some point, you have to play like you think you can win, not like you expect to lose and just want to keep it close.

Yeah, in general I give Wilson props as a very good offensive coach, but many games he does things that make you scratch your head. Insisting on running when it's not working very well, trying to outflank a very speedy OSU defense, running a QB option with a QB who isn't very fast...

I think our defense is really coming around under Tom Allen. They kept OSU's passing game in check, but didn't really have an answer for J.T. Barrett's scrambling ability. One of these years, we're gonna beat the Buckeyes. I've been an IU fan since 1989. Our last win against the Buckeyese? 1988.
Old 10-10-2016, 01:14 PM   #103
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Sam Darnold just made a ridiculous play. He is fun to watch.
USC fans have to be pissed that Helton started the season with Browne when so many observers thought Darnold was the better choice.
Old 10-10-2016, 01:16 PM   #104
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
It's still probably better than their attempt at rating quarterbacks.

(That said, I found those QB ratings to be at least mildly interesting in a look at them last night)
The issue I have with their QB rating system is the lack of transparency - without knowing how they calculate it, how are we supposed to put any stock in it?