Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-24-2016, 08:54 PM   #101
tarcone
Coordinator

Thanks.

And football doesnt need another controversy right now.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 09:08 PM   #102
tarcone
Coordinator

I just saw a replay of the Tenn. player taking a dive and the Florida player being ejected. Where was instant replay on that?

Old 09-24-2016, 09:09 PM   #103
Edward64
Head Coach

Got to give A&M run defense big kudos for stopping Arkansas. Pretty impressive goal line defense.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 09:12 PM   #104
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
I just saw a replay of the Tenn. player taking a dive and the Florida player being ejected. Where was instant replay on that?

I don't think that's reviewable.

Replay can be used to lessen the anticipated upcoming suspension in the next game, but since that wasn't targeting related I don't think it's under the replay reviewables.
Old 09-24-2016, 09:15 PM   #105
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Same opponent plays West Virginia next season.

As to why?

-- They fell on the schedule between UGA and LSU.

-- They had 65,211 in attendance for a virtually impossible to lose game. That's almost precisely their average attendance for last season (65,120).
In some cases people come to see the home team, not the opponent.

-- They rebuilt the confidence (maybe) of a team that had to be down after a tough loss, had a chance to play their backups (and could have played them more in a different scenario coming in)

To add to why P5 schools are playing schools like Delaware State; WVU stated two years ago they'd no longer schedule FCS teams and other schools have attempted to follow suit. This, along with just the nature of business, has created a system where the G5 schools are asking for incredible amounts of money for paycheck games. With the amount that was being asked by some schools WVU said "fuck it" and added Delaware State to the schedule.

Over the next 4 years WVU plays VPI, East Carolina, Tennessee, NC State X2, and Missouri so it's not like WVU is avoiding competition. It's just becoming a better financial decision to play a FCS school if the rest of your schedule allows it.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 09:17 PM   #106
tarcone
Coordinator

That is interesting. And opens a can of worms. Can you imagine guys starting to take dives to get rid of the other teams best player?

Old 09-24-2016, 09:19 PM   #107
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
To add to why P5 schools are playing schools like Delaware State; WVU stated two years ago they'd no longer schedule FCS teams and other schools have attempted to follow suit. This, along with just the nature of business, has created a system where the G5 schools are asking for incredible amounts of money for paycheck games. With the amount that was being asked by some schools WVU said "fuck it" and added Delaware State to the schedule.

Over the next 4 years WVU plays VPI, East Carolina, Tennessee, NC State X2, and Missouri so it's not like WVU is avoiding competition. It's just becoming a better financial decision to play a FCS school if the rest of your schedule allows it.

B1G teams are not allowed to schedule FCS anymore, either. Iowa does have UNI one more time in a couple years, but that was grandfathered in.

Old 09-24-2016, 09:19 PM   #108
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
I don't think that's reviewable.

Replay can be used to lessen the anticipated upcoming suspension in the next game, but since that wasn't targeting related I don't think it's under the replay reviewables.

I think this is correct. I also learned tonight that replay can be used to review and call a targeting penalty if one wasn't called on the field. There was a review in the UCLA game, though they determined the no penalty call was correct. I didn't know it was reviewable.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 09:20 PM   #109
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
If WV forces us to score a lot of points, it's going to be a blow out, like the 40-10 kind, we just don't have the offense for it. If we can control the tempo, it's going to be a low scoring game, we might steal this one. We have been in a position to steal Utah and UCLA (Not really, I don't like leaving it to an onsides kick)

I think it's going to be fun.

Great game

BYU's running game pounded us probably worse than anyone since Oklahoma 2 years ago. The Oline and D-line both struggled with your size and strength up front while your secondary and linebackers seemed to struggle with WVU's speed.

It was an interesting matchup of strength vs weakness and a really fun game.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 09:44 PM   #110
Edward64
Head Coach

Arkansas just went up 17-10 over A&M but its been a torturous 2Q. Good, solid game so far.
Old 09-24-2016, 09:56 PM   #111
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Lamar Jackson playing terrible against Marshall, but still has 330 yards passing and has accounted for all 6 Louisville TDs.. But Marshall is providing the blueprint for more talented defenses to try and stop him.

Doing that for a whole game.. That's gonna be tough.

FUCK EA

Last edited by Julio Riddols : 09-24-2016 at 09:58 PM.
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 10:15 PM   #112
tarcone
Coordinator

UCLA/Stanford going down to the wire.

Old 09-24-2016, 10:23 PM   #113
tarcone
Coordinator

And Stanford is going to pull it out. Crazy.

Old 09-24-2016, 10:28 PM   #114
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Stanford scored more in the final :30 than they did the first 59:30.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 10:28 PM   #115
Suicane75
Coordinator

The gamblers orgasm.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 10:29 PM   #116
MrBug708
Head Coach

Fucking mora and fucking Shaw
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 10:30 PM   #117
MrBug708
Head Coach

Mora is a clown
Old 09-24-2016, 10:33 PM   #118
tarcone
Coordinator

I feel your pain. Really I do. At least you have a chance of dumping your coach.

Old 09-24-2016, 10:33 PM   #119
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
I think this is correct. I also learned tonight that replay can be used to review and call a targeting penalty if one wasn't called on the field. There was a review in the UCLA game, though they determined the no penalty call was correct. I didn't know it was reviewable.

And they screwed that review up horribly. I've seen this happen twice this year. Texas vs Notre Dame and now this one. Both times the booth made a HORRIBLE decision to not call targeting.

If they don't have the guts to overrule the refs on the field and make the obvious call, there shouldn't be a review in those situations.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 10:49 PM   #120
Edward64
Head Coach

Man, A&M stuffed us again at the goal line. This is a really entertaining game and win-or-lose, I think the Razorbacks have proven that top 20 wasn't a fluke.
Old 09-24-2016, 11:13 PM   #121
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
And they screwed that review up horribly. I've seen this happen twice this year. Texas vs Notre Dame and now this one. Both times the booth made a HORRIBLE decision to not call targeting.

If they don't have the guts to overrule the refs on the field and make the obvious call, there shouldn't be a review in those situations.

It wasn't targeting by definition because he wasn't a defenseless player.
Old 09-24-2016, 11:21 PM   #122
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
It wasn't targeting by definition because he wasn't a defenseless player.

Garbage. And that isn't what the official rules analyst said either. It was a horrible, cheap shot and the guy should have been ejected.

Again, either take player safety seriously, or don't. But don't give me this crap that you care about it (NFL OR College) and then allow the player who makes that hit to stay and finish the game. I see a player get ejected today because another player acted like he was knocked out cold from an open touch to the chest and then I see a guy make that hit and stay in the game? Ugh. Just ugh.
Old 09-24-2016, 11:39 PM   #123
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
Garbage. And that isn't what the official rules analyst said either. It was a horrible, cheap shot and the guy should have been ejected.

Again, either take player safety seriously, or don't. But don't give me this crap that you care about it (NFL OR College) and then allow the player who makes that hit to stay and finish the game. I see a player get ejected today because another player acted like he was knocked out cold from an open touch to the chest and then I see a guy make that hit and stay in the game? Ugh. Just ugh.

He also didn't lead with the crown of his helmet either but his face mask. It wsn't a cheap shot as it was in the open field and chasing him down, but I agree that he should have been ejected. I also saw the Stanford QB lead with his head and destroy our DB and nothing happened. It's just the PAC-12 refs being terrible.

Last edited by MrBug708 : 09-24-2016 at 11:42 PM.
Old 09-24-2016, 11:53 PM   #124
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Is Mason Rudolph the most overrated QB in the country? Not sure what the hype is with him. He lacks accuracy, he has a very slow release, and he lacks anticipation. If it wasnt for one of the best(if not the best) receiver in the nation on his team he would be on the sidelines. He was taking sacks at the end of the game with a 3 man rush and 10 seconds to throw. All Baylor did was double his main weapon and play a cover 2 deep the entire game and Rudolph was completely lost. You would think check down options would be there 10 yards at a pop whenever he wanted.

Supposedly has this cannon arm but a cannon arm isnt going to do much for him at the next level if he will only throw to a player wide open. Seems to lack the sense of when a player is breaking open or who should be open when looking at a defense.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 09-25-2016 at 12:06 AM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 12:18 AM   #125
MrBug708
Head Coach

I'd say Josh Rosen is. Not because he's been horrible, but because he's not quite looking like he's the #1 pick in 2018, even though he probably will
Old 09-25-2016, 07:09 AM   #126
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post
Lagow threw this one away, eh Kodos? Wondering why Indiana didn't try to run more.

Horrid game. That one drive where we gave Wake 50 yards in penalty yardage was particularly painful. I was hoping Wilson would insert Diamont around pick number 4.
Old 09-25-2016, 07:16 AM   #127
Edward64
Head Coach

Tough latter part of 3Q & 4Q for us. I'm not going to complain, A&M was definitely the better team. When they stopped us twice at the goal line, it really shifted momentum and hurt our confidence. It showed after that.
Old 09-25-2016, 09:07 AM   #128
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Is Mason Rudolph the most overrated QB in the country? Not sure what the hype is with him. He lacks accuracy, he has a very slow release, and he lacks anticipation. If it wasnt for one of the best(if not the best) receiver in the nation on his team he would be on the sidelines. He was taking sacks at the end of the game with a 3 man rush and 10 seconds to throw. All Baylor did was double his main weapon and play a cover 2 deep the entire game and Rudolph was completely lost. You would think check down options would be there 10 yards at a pop whenever he wanted.

Supposedly has this cannon arm but a cannon arm isnt going to do much for him at the next level if he will only throw to a player wide open. Seems to lack the sense of when a player is breaking open or who should be open when looking at a defense.

He's confounding. One week he looks like the second coming of Carson Palmer. Perfect mechanics, nice release, great accuracy on the deep ball. The next week he looks like he's never seen a college defense before.

Beyond Rudolphs struggles, I was shocked at how horrible the game plan was. Ok, they are using TWO people and sometimes THREE people to take your best player away. You don't have to have a ton of strategic knowledge to know that is going to leave other huge holes in the defense. Instead. . . the gameplan seemed to be - Run to the outside as much as possible and drop back with Washington as the main target and then panic when he's covered.

The secondary was also just horrible. Baylor has the ball on the 1 yard line in a second and long situation. You think maybe they might try a double move up the sideline? How on Earth do you bite on that? A really, really poor effort from OK State. As for Rudolph, I agree 100% with the overrated tag you gave him. I keep seeing first or second round pick and I just laugh.
Old 09-25-2016, 09:10 AM   #129
tarcone
Coordinator

Speaking of QBs. Over on a fan site there is a discussion about how returning senior QBs regress during their senior years. And they all do. They play scared. Afraid to make a mistake. Its almost as if the coaching staff neuters them.

CJ Beathard is a gunslinger. Rocket arm., Fearless. Not anymore. And there are several QBs that fit into this category.

And Jake Rudock is brought up. Played terrible his 2nd year starting at Iowa. Then transfers to UM and plays very well.

Old 09-25-2016, 09:13 AM   #130
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
I'd say Josh Rosen is. Not because he's been horrible, but because he's not quite looking like he's the #1 pick in 2018, even though he probably will

Rosen is confounding as well. You can tell everything is there. The guy LOOKS like a great QB looks. He puts up decent stats most games, yet there is an empty feeling afterward because despite how he looks and how the stats play out there is something missing.

I told my Dad that after we went to the UCLA/CU game last year. I thought he was young and would get better. I'm still feeling that way this year. Maybe another year?
Old 09-25-2016, 09:23 AM   #131
MrBug708
Head Coach

I think he still is trying to do everything because he thinks he can make every throw. No one can make every throw every time. His WR are terrible this year, two of his INTs are because the WR let it bounce off their hands with no one near them. A 4th year wouldn't be bad but it won't happen
Old 09-25-2016, 02:09 PM   #132
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Random observation my son offered from the student section of yesterday's UGA - Ole Miss game.

"Eason looks like a Pac-12 quarterback playing in the SEC"

Take that for what it's worth, but after kinda winding the idea around in my head I think it's not a bad assessment of him.
Old 09-25-2016, 03:01 PM   #133
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Random observation my son offered from the student section of yesterday's UGA - Ole Miss game.

"Eason looks like a Pac-12 quarterback playing in the SEC"

Take that for what it's worth, but after kinda winding the idea around in my head I think it's not a bad assessment of him.
I think the fair assessment of Eason is that he's a true freshman and he didn't get a lot of help from his receivers.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 03:40 PM   #135
General Mike
Pro Starter

Ron Turner was also fired by Florida International today.
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 03:58 PM   #136
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Orgeron sure finds ways to back himself into good situations.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 04:50 PM   #137
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
I think the fair assessment of Eason is that he's a true freshman and he didn't get a lot of help from his receivers.

Hey, I've been talking some Dawg fans off the ledge about him for some 24 hours now. The best thing about freshmen QBs is that they eventually become sophomores. I think he'll eventually reach the point that his performance is at worst tolerable to the fan base.

I'd still be inclined to argue -- given the shortage of capable receivers he has to work with right now -- that the gameplan is more to blame for his results yesterday than his skill set ... but I do agree that he does not look like a typical SEC quarterback nor do I believe he ever will.
Old 09-25-2016, 07:16 PM   #138
tarcone
Coordinator

I would love to Les Miles as OC at Iowa.

Old 09-25-2016, 07:17 PM   #139
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I would love to Les Miles as OC at Iowa.

Les Miles is never going to be a coordinator again.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 09-25-2016, 07:26 PM   #140
tarcone
Coordinator

A man can dream. Please dont pee on my cheerios.

Last edited by tarcone : 09-25-2016 at 07:27 PM.
Old 09-25-2016, 07:47 PM   #141
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
... but I do agree that he does not look like a typical SEC quarterback nor do I believe he ever will.
I dunno what a "typical" SEC QB looks like, but then again I'm not sure what a typical Pac-12 QB looks like either. We have guys ranging from Brandon Dawkins and Manny Wilkins to Dakota Prukop and Sam Darnold to Jake Browning and Luke Falk to Josh Rosen and Davis Webb.

Pretty much runs the gamut in this conference.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 08:48 PM   #142
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Hey, I've been talking some Dawg fans off the ledge about him for some 24 hours now. The best thing about freshmen QBs is that they eventually become sophomores. I think he'll eventually reach the point that his performance is at worst tolerable to the fan base.

I'd still be inclined to argue -- given the shortage of capable receivers he has to work with right now -- that the gameplan is more to blame for his results yesterday than his skill set ... but I do agree that he does not look like a typical SEC quarterback nor do I believe he ever will.

That's a really confusing statement. I mean I didn't think Eason was clearly the best QB in the conference. Even the biggest SEC homer has to abmit QB is the one position they are vastly inferior to, well...just about every league.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 08:57 PM   #143
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
A man can dream. Please dont pee on my cheerios.

All right. Les Miles will never be Wisconsin's OC.

Old 09-25-2016, 08:58 PM   #144
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Don't you guys understand? SEC QBs are clutch gamers, hard as nails. Those softies from out west could never take the heat in the SEC!

Old 09-25-2016, 09:12 PM   #145
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Don't you guys understand? SEC QBs are clutch gamers, hard as nails. Those softies from out west could never take the heat in the SEC!

He is from Washington state. Maybe it wasn't an insult but an observation?
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 09:37 PM   #146
cuervo72
Head Coach

Taking an historic look at SEC quarterbacks in the NFL - Gridiron Now

Five Best SEC Quarterbacks of the Past Decade

Last edited by cuervo72 : 09-25-2016 at 09:40 PM.
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 10:43 PM   #147
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
He is from Washington state. Maybe it wasn't an insult but an observation?

I actually thought this was obvious ... apparently not.
(yeah, silly me, by now I shoulda known better)

It was strictly a gut impression, a "what he brings to mind" thing. He just looks -- physically & at times in his play, the limited amount we've seen thus far -- like one of the random guys we see flinging it around around midnight while channel surfing, not a guy we watch in the 330pm game of the week. Some of that is very likely just his relatively newness, not much opportunity to pick up a lot of nuance. It's not a knock, it's just a ... visceral reaction. I hadn't thought about it much until he mentioned it to me, and then I thought "yeah, that IS kind of the vibe, now that you bring it up".

God forbid that somebody say anything here that the hypersensitivity crowd can get their panties wadded up over. Feel free to lighten up Francis, as needed.

edit to add: and, as was pointed out, not looking like an SEC quarterback isn't exactly a tremendous insult.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 09-25-2016 at 10:49 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 10:48 PM   #148
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
That's a really confusing statement. I mean I didn't think Eason was clearly the best QB in the conference. Even the biggest SEC homer has to abmit QB is the one position they are vastly inferior to, well...just about every league.

On the first part (re: perception of Eason), a lot of Georgia people did think that. That only maybe a certain guy they got a heavy dose of yesterday was even worth mentioning in the same breath. They really thought that, once he replaced Lambert, the promised land surely awaited. Suddenly, at least winning the East as a stepping stone seemed a lot less of a sure thing.

The harsh realities of their weakness at OL and WR hit them hard yesterday, not to mention bringing back some queasiness in some quarters about the hiring of a defense-oriented coach.

The second part of that, well, I explained that in the post just prior
Old 09-25-2016, 11:04 PM   #149
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

So SEC QBS have more charisma and Star Quality? Or more heavily recruited? LOL, I guess I think I understand what you mean but doesnt the prestige of the team the QB plays for give him that particular "look'? Andrew Luck looked pretty damn SEC like when he played for Stanford.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 09-25-2016 at 11:05 PM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 11:53 PM   #150
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
So SEC QBS have more charisma and Star Quality? Or more heavily recruited? LOL, I guess I think I understand what you mean but doesnt the prestige of the team the QB plays for give him that particular "look'? Andrew Luck looked pretty damn SEC like when he played for Stanford.

I really did mean more of a physical impression than anything, not so much performance or entirely play style.

Think of it like this maybe, if you took a single snapshot of the guy standing on the field looking to the sideline for the next play while his receivers jogged back from downfield after an incompletion, made the uniform unidentifiable, then forced us to guess where it was taken ... we'd have both said "somewhere in the Pac 12".

It's just ... visceral, not analytical