Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-16-2016, 03:13 PM   #101
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

How is he shooting 86% on threes on 92 attempts? That's like cheat code Steph.
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 03:15 PM   #102
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

He's shooting 58% on his other field goals, which is high as well, but more plausible mixing in drives and wide open looks. I think the other number that's out of whack is the 20/33 between 3ft and out to the key. I think the average on those in the NBA is in the high 30's low 40's.
Old 03-17-2016, 08:53 AM   #103
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
The problem is his scoring rating, and his pass % Way too unselfish (yes, that's a thing. But he might be good as a bunches of buckets scorer

One more option Foz. . . he passes it all the time, but his pass rating is a 4.

Here is how I've been playing with ratings when looking at players:

I take Inside shooting, Outside shooting, Scoring, Passing, Ball Handling, Rebounding (an average between Offensive and Defensive) and Defense.

I add those up to see if a guy is a Superstar, Above average starter, Average Starter/Role Player or scrub.

Superstar - 45 and above. (Curry is a 51, Greene 48, Westbrook 49, Durant 50 for some comparisons)

Above Average Starter - 38-45 range (Klay Thomspson, Ibaka)

Average Starter/Role Player - 28-38 range (Gallinari, Barton, Jokic for any Nuggets fans) Here are your money players in terms of building your roster. Screw these guys up and you will destroy your team no matter how good the guys above are. On this level I'm not only looking for points on the scale, I'm looking at how the points are split. There are some REALLY quality players who total 30 on this scale. There are some terrible ones that don't have their splits right and will kill you.

After I look at the ranges, then I try to look at the puzzle in terms of the pies. (do they like to post up, how often do they pass, etc)

It's extremely difficult to build a winning team with a bunch of guys in the 30 to 45 range, no matter how well you get the puzzle right. At the end of the day, the superstar still wins games for you. On the other side of it, you can have 4 guys at 45 or above who don't fit right and cause you to struggle.

In this particular case, he has a guy with a 34 on my scale. The problem is it's a very poorly constructed 34. Great shooting and ball handling. Zero defense, rebounding scoring or passing.

This guy could work if you had a ridiculously deep team and he was your emergency PG. I don't think he would work out as a regular rotation player. Just my opinion.

One other thing about the notes above: Potential is also critical. I listed Jokic as a 31 on my scale. That's at the start of the game. If he develops 100% (and he has on some games, hasn't on others), he's a star calibur player. He jumps up to a 44. and is a 9 defender, and a 10 post up player who draws fouls and can hit free throws. When he does develop, he's usually an all star calibur player.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 09:41 PM   #104
korme
Go Reds

TroyF, that was a nice thoughtful longwinded post, but the entire point was the guy is shooting 85% from 3.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 11:01 PM   #105
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
TroyF, that was a nice thoughtful longwinded post, but the entire point was the guy is shooting 85% from 3.

I was just rating the guy going off of what Foz said and didn't look at his stats.

Strange. I rarely see guys, even 10/10 guy do that. Just looked up the last year in my league, the leader was at 50% (Curry)

If that guy had a scorers mentality, you would have the best player in the game. i'd go to commissioner mode for kicks and throw him up to a 9 in scoring and see if that % holds. Would be one hell of a bugged player.
Old 03-18-2016, 10:44 AM   #106
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

I think the correct answer is that there should never be someone shooting that well over that many attempts. I think the probability that of someone who's a nominal 50% shooter shooting over 80% on 100 attempts is 5e-10 or something.
Old 03-18-2016, 09:54 PM   #107
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilodor View Post
I think the correct answer is that there should never be someone shooting that well over that many attempts. I think the probability that of someone who's a nominal 50% shooter shooting over 80% on 100 attempts is 5e-10 or something.

Clearly, a bugged player. No question about it.

A little story from tonight from my game:

I carefully built the Nuggets up from scratch. Traded most of the players away (after 5 years, Jokic is the only one left) and worked hard to draft well and find sleepers. So I build up a team I'm sure is going to dominate. It's loaded. And I start the season 3-7.

I restart and go 4-6. I look at my lineup, try to look at the advanced stats. What on Earth is going on? Well, my defense cucks for one thing. No idea how 4 guys rated 9 and one guy rated a 7 suck so hard and give up so many three pointers. They alrso hardly ever steal the ball. Turns out the hotshot young coach I hired likes to play zone about 95% of the time and I missed it.

I fire him and hire Avery Johnson (fast pace, rarely uses zone) and rerun the 10 game stretch. 8-2. Do it again, 9-1. third in the league in steals.

ID-10-T error.

Ugh.
Old 04-02-2016, 11:32 AM   #108
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

1.6 update now available

• View topic - DDS:PB 2016 Game Files - latest version 1.6
Old 04-02-2016, 01:17 PM   #109
wustin
College Prospect

It doesn't work but here are some things that still need to be fixed:

Ty Lawson is still 6'11 when he is 5'11.

James Michael McAdoo still somehow listed as a shooting guard when he plays power forward.
wustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 02:55 PM   #110
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Link should be functional - I fixed Lawson but will have to fix JMM in the next update
Old 04-03-2016, 01:03 AM   #111
LaStarza61
n00b

I was wondering what you all think of the current version of the game as it stands now? I'm wary to purchase it because I owned a version several years ago and it seems like it never was made right before the next version was released for sale. Seems like there was always something just kind of screwy about the scoring and/or stats that took away from the game being fun. For example, things like scoring too low, scoring too high, too many rebounds, not enough blocks, not enough superstar type players, all the players were too generic, not enough draft surprises, not enough draft busts... it seems like it was always something. And, as a result, I just never got into playing it. But I'm looking for a good NBA PC sim. What do you all think? Is it inappropriate to ask how you like it compared to FBPB? If it IS inappropriate to ask that question, I will edit this post and remove the question and ask it in a separate thread.

Please note that the issues I listed above pertain to older versions of the game... things I experienced and read about on the forums. I have no firsthand experience with the newest version and I sincerely hope it's great!

Thank you in advance!

Last edited by LaStarza61 : 04-03-2016 at 01:05 AM.
LaStarza61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 08:53 AM   #112
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaStarza61 View Post
I was wondering what you all think of the current version of the game as it stands now? I'm wary to purchase it because I owned a version several years ago and it seems like it never was made right before the next version was released for sale. Seems like there was always something just kind of screwy about the scoring and/or stats that took away from the game being fun. For example, things like scoring too low, scoring too high, too many rebounds, not enough blocks, not enough superstar type players, all the players were too generic, not enough draft surprises, not enough draft busts... it seems like it was always something. And, as a result, I just never got into playing it. But I'm looking for a good NBA PC sim. What do you all think? Is it inappropriate to ask how you like it compared to FBPB? If it IS inappropriate to ask that question, I will edit this post and remove the question and ask it in a separate thread.

Please note that the issues I listed above pertain to older versions of the game... things I experienced and read about on the forums. I have no firsthand experience with the newest version and I sincerely hope it's great!

Thank you in advance!

1 - I have a ton of thoughts on the game that have been posted in this thread. I enjoy it a ton.

2 - On a year to year basis, I rarely go DEEP into the stats. From what I have seen, most all of the stats are right in line with the NBA, with the exception of scoring. It needs to be tweaked upward a bit and I believe Gary did this with the last patch.

3 - The draft is some of the most fun I have had with the game. There are weak drafts, there are strong drafts. I have had 2nd rounders that have been all stars and I have had top 3 picks that I have chosen not to extend or traded within the first 2 years. The interesting thing about the game, and one of the things that has me playing it is that those guys I traded might not be busts. In this game, you MUST build your team with a thought process.

That 10 inside shooting, 10 scoring, horrible passing big man is not going to flourish if I run a speedy offense and have a PG/SG/SF trio that likes to jack up threes. The same guy on my team struggling will end up as a star somewhere else.

To give an example of this I'll go with Jokic from Denver. I probably shouldn't admit to how many 3 and 4 year runs I've had with Denver while experimenting with the game. Jokic is rate a 2/3.5 star guy at the start of the game. I was actually a little disappointed because he has some massive potential for the Nuggets this year and looks like he's going to be a very good player for a long time.

Well, the first 20 or 30 runs with the Nuggets, he was an average player. So I decided to start trading him because the AI was offering me low 1sts for him and I figured I'd flip him for a draft pick. Well, suddenly in a lot of these careers (not all), I start seeing Nikola Jokic on all NBA teams. (usually the 3rd team, though I saw him on the 2nd team as well) He was also ending up on All NBA Defensive teams.

I started some more runs with the idea of keeping him on the roster. Guess what? I can still play fast, but if I get a pass first PG, Jokic starts lighting things up, even if I have a good SG/SF. He's also a perfect guy to pair with an outside shooting PF or C.

Again, not every time. Sometimes he just doesn't develop. When he does, he simply crushes it. Yet even with Jokic there is an issue. The guy likes to jack up a 3 a game or so. He's not very good at it and I cringe when he does it if I'm watching the game. I have to learn to live with it because he's so good everywhere else.

4 - If you are a guy who wants to exploit the AI, you can do it. There are ways and I'm not going to bore people with all of them. You can rerun the lottery until you get the first pick for an example of one. Honestly, if that's what you want to do, you'll be able to do it in most any sim.

5 - I'm going to run a 30 year fictional league sometime this afternoon. If I have time I'll post some stats.
Old 04-04-2016, 01:08 AM   #113
LaStarza61
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
1 - I have a ton of thoughts on the game that have been posted in this thread. I enjoy it a ton.

2 - On a year to year basis, I rarely go DEEP into the stats. From what I have seen, most all of the stats are right in line with the NBA, with the exception of scoring. It needs to be tweaked upward a bit and I believe Gary did this with the last patch.

3 - The draft is some of the most fun I have had with the game. There are weak drafts, there are strong drafts. I have had 2nd rounders that have been all stars and I have had top 3 picks that I have chosen not to extend or traded within the first 2 years. The interesting thing about the game, and one of the things that has me playing it is that those guys I traded might not be busts. In this game, you MUST build your team with a thought process.

That 10 inside shooting, 10 scoring, horrible passing big man is not going to flourish if I run a speedy offense and have a PG/SG/SF trio that likes to jack up threes. The same guy on my team struggling will end up as a star somewhere else.

To give an example of this I'll go with Jokic from Denver. I probably shouldn't admit to how many 3 and 4 year runs I've had with Denver while experimenting with the game. Jokic is rate a 2/3.5 star guy at the start of the game. I was actually a little disappointed because he has some massive potential for the Nuggets this year and looks like he's going to be a very good player for a long time.

Well, the first 20 or 30 runs with the Nuggets, he was an average player. So I decided to start trading him because the AI was offering me low 1sts for him and I figured I'd flip him for a draft pick. Well, suddenly in a lot of these careers (not all), I start seeing Nikola Jokic on all NBA teams. (usually the 3rd team, though I saw him on the 2nd team as well) He was also ending up on All NBA Defensive teams.

I started some more runs with the idea of keeping him on the roster. Guess what? I can still play fast, but if I get a pass first PG, Jokic starts lighting things up, even if I have a good SG/SF. He's also a perfect guy to pair with an outside shooting PF or C.

Again, not every time. Sometimes he just doesn't develop. When he does, he simply crushes it. Yet even with Jokic there is an issue. The guy likes to jack up a 3 a game or so. He's not very good at it and I cringe when he does it if I'm watching the game. I have to learn to live with it because he's so good everywhere else.

4 - If you are a guy who wants to exploit the AI, you can do it. There are ways and I'm not going to bore people with all of them. You can rerun the lottery until you get the first pick for an example of one. Honestly, if that's what you want to do, you'll be able to do it in most any sim.

5 - I'm going to run a 30 year fictional league sometime this afternoon. If I have time I'll post some stats.

I appreciate your thoughts... thank you! You may have just talked me into purchasing it! And I look forward to reading the results of your 30 year fictional league.

Thanks again,
Mark
LaStarza61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 10:08 AM   #114
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

If you need another opinion John Comey just wrote a review for GM Games

Review - Draft Day Sports: Pro Basketball 2016 (PC) NBA Manager
Old 04-05-2016, 11:27 AM   #115
TroyF
Coordinator

I haven't had the time to do the 30 year run. Maybe this weekend. Been a crazy early week thus far.
Old 04-14-2016, 09:26 AM   #116
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

1.7 update now available

• View topic - DDS:PB 2016 Game Files - latest version 1.7

Build 1.7
-----------
-changed rookie generation code - rookies were not only too good on average but too strong defensively
-changed rookie generation code to make the players less flexible at position eligibility so as not to result in odd positioning assignments
-added "X" button for those on smaller resolutions on the draft screen to close out side windows
-fixed crash viewing almanac with European leagues on
-fixed crash attempting to scroll through player cards of players with renouncable contracts. You should not be able to scroll through those and cannot now
-fixed crash sorting workout page by College
Old 05-19-2016, 09:26 PM   #117
korme
Go Reds

So what would the best way be to try to recreate a Warriors type offense? I wish there was a guide for the offensive sets. I just don't know what a "spot up" offense is, but I think it's something in this setting I would want. Also, harder to find players that chuck threes than you'd think. Even scouting reports that say they have range beyond the arc guys will still take less than 1 per game. I want to try to replicate the system with other players and I'm having trouble just getting guys to launch.
Old 05-19-2016, 09:38 PM   #118
wustin
College Prospect

Quote:
So what would the best way be to try to recreate a Warriors type offense? I wish there was a guide for the offensive sets. I just don't know what a "spot up" offense is, but I think it's something in this setting I would want. Also, harder to find players that chuck threes than you'd think. Even scouting reports that say they have range beyond the arc guys will still take less than 1 per game. I want to try to replicate the system with other players and I'm having trouble just getting guys to launch.

Put all the points into transition, motion offense, and maybe 5-10 points into spot up.

You would also need to edit the tendencies for your players in commish mode.

Last edited by wustin : 05-19-2016 at 09:39 PM.
Old 05-20-2016, 07:46 AM   #119
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:

Spot Up offense is going to put an emphasis on guys looking to shoot jump shots over other options (driving, entering to the post etc...)

Guys are still going to play toward their tendencies so if you have players who are not typically high volume three point shooters compared to their other actions then increasing the pace and increasing the tendency towards jump shots will just result in more two point jumpers being taken so you need to find players who are comfortable shooting threes to start with.

What makes the Warriors offense isn't that its "the Warriors offense" - it is that they have Steph Curry and Klay Thompson (as well as Iggy, Barnes and Green). You replace Curry. You can't take Westbrook, Waiters, Durant and Ibaka and expect the same things to happen.
Old 05-21-2016, 05:31 PM   #120
korme
Go Reds

Just a heads up Arvydas Sabonis enters the league in 1985 as a 31 year old. His first year was actually '95 at 31, but he was drafted in '86 at 22. So however you intended to import him, it's slightly off either way.
Old 07-17-2016, 01:19 PM   #121
rjolley
College Starter

I know this is simple and I'm just missing it, but how do you sim multiple games? I changed the date to a date in the future and the Play/Sim button is not active. It's only active a day at a time.

Also, how do I sim each game and not play, then have the CPU run everything?
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 04:23 PM   #122
wustin
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjolley View Post
I know this is simple and I'm just missing it, but how do you sim multiple games? I changed the date to a date in the future and the Play/Sim button is not active. It's only active a day at a time.

Also, how do I sim each game and not play, then have the CPU run everything?

There's a box by each of your games that you should uncheck.
Old 07-17-2016, 04:30 PM   #123
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wustin View Post
There's a box by each of your games that you should uncheck.

Thanks. But how do I run a week or a month at a time?

Ok, think I figured it out accidentally. You can set the Sim Length and sim to that point, either a week, until the All-Star Break, the end of the regular season, or until the end of the entire season. I don't, however, see a way to sim to a particular day. There's a Sim to date option, but the sim option is disabled once I move to another day.
Old 07-17-2016, 05:00 PM   #124
whomario
Pro Starter

Cant Check right now but remember that in the previous versions you had to first browse to the desired target date, then you can sim to there. Always thought it was a little weird ...
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 05:17 PM   #125
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
Cant Check right now but remember that in the previous versions you had to first browse to the desired target date, then you can sim to there. Always thought it was a little weird ...

Thanks. I'll keep playing around with it. Seems fun overall, but maybe I'm just spoiled by NBA2K and prefer the ability to play a game while simming now.
Old 07-17-2016, 05:22 PM   #126
whomario
Pro Starter

Go to date, check “sim to date“, browse back to current date, press sim button

Was 99% the way to do it.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 05:26 PM   #127
rjolley
College Starter

Ok, that's not what I'd expect. Thanks, I'll try it.
Old 07-18-2016, 07:34 AM   #128
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

All you have to do to sim to a date is choose the date you want to sim to from the drop box then choose the sim to date option from the next drop box and it should automatically take you back to the current day and press the sim button.

You also may need to go to the options link and turn on the option to default to simulating human games or it will automatically set your team's games to be played out
Old 07-18-2016, 07:37 AM   #129
rjolley
College Starter

Thanks Gary. I tried that initially and it didn't work. I'll try it again later today.