Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-09-2015, 05:45 PM   #101
molson
General Manager

That Nets trade was ridiculous. It's like one of those old Red Auerbach trades.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 05:50 PM   #102
rjolley
College Starter

I think I know how this works, but just to be clear, if a pick is Top 5 protected, is that before or after the lottery? So, if the team who traded the pick finishes 6th or lower but wins the #1 pick in the lottery, who gets the pick?
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 06:05 PM   #103
nol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjolley View Post
I think I know how this works, but just to be clear, if a pick is Top 5 protected, is that before or after the lottery? So, if the team who traded the pick finishes 6th or lower but wins the #1 pick in the lottery, who gets the pick?

After. The Lakers could finish with the worst record in the league and have a higher chance of losing their pick than of drafting first.
nol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 06:05 PM   #104
whomario
Pro Starter

After the lottery is what matters, everything before is irrelevant in these cases
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 08:10 PM   #105
nol
Banned

The Timberwolves are so fun to watch; they're up 30 at halftime at Atlanta. The starting 5 has the best defensive rating in the league out of all non-garbage time units. Towns is already a legitimate defensive force as a rookie (which on its own is worthy of a legitimate 'holy shit'). Out of all starters in the league, Rubio is #10 in win shares/48 and #8 in box plus-minus (safe to say he's not being lit up by Jeff Teague this evening). Wiggins has 16 on 8-10 shooting. The key difference tonight has been that Zach Lavine has been playing the game of his life so there's not the usual bench letdown.

This play in particular was a good example of Rubio's brilliance. It was shaping up to be a typical ugly retrograde NBA possession where a team spends 15 seconds of the shot clock trying to force a post entry pass just because a guy has a size mismatch (while ignoring that the guy will be immediately double teamed and have to pass it back and reset the offense), but Rubio went off script and found Towns for the dunk.

Obviously they still need to play the toughest teams in the West, but we are fast approaching the point at which results can't just be chalked up to small sample size - if you ended the season at November 20th last year (when most teams had played 10-12 games), the Celtics are the only eventual playoff team that wouldn't have made it in.

edit: wow, they almost blew it because their crazy rotations lead to a ton of bench minutes in a row, but Wiggins and Bjelica were impressive down the stretch.

Last edited by nol : 11-09-2015 at 09:35 PM.
Old 11-09-2015, 09:16 PM   #106
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

It has been the Andrew Wiggins show tonight. 15/22 33 points, 4 ast, 4 reb, 1 st, 1bk

Towns with some huge blocks late on Teague to stall the Hawks momentum.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 10:08 PM   #107
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Let's say you're the Nets GM. Knowing you won't have a first round pick in 2016 or 2018 and probably a non-lottery pick in 2017, what do you do? Do you trade your assets(Lopez, Johnson) or suck it up and do what you can until you start a rebuild in 2019?

Last edited by JPhillips : 11-09-2015 at 10:09 PM.
JPhillips is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 10:12 PM   #108
nol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Let's say you're the Nets GM. Knowing you won't have a first round pick in 2016 or 2018 and probably a non-lottery pick in 2017, what do you do? Do you trade your assets(Lopez, Johnson) or suck it up and do what you can until you start a rebuild in 2019?

You tank for Marvin Bagley III.

That's at least somewhat serious because this kid (high school sophomore who will be draft eligible in 2019 and is basically what would have happened if Chris Bosh had Andrew Wiggins-level athleticism) will end up being the best prospect since LeBron, but in the meantime you certainly have to accept these next couple of seasons as a sunk cost and be willing to trade your big name players for picks if there's value in the deal.

Last edited by nol : 11-16-2015 at 12:03 AM.
Old 11-09-2015, 10:29 PM   #109
Groundhog
Coordinator

If I'm the Nets, no one is untouchable, especially if it nets 1st rounders. I think they'll improve to about mid-lottery by season's end, but that roster has exactly one young OK prospect (albeit a wing who isn't a shooter), an OK Euro in Bogdanovic, and Brook Lopez, an injury prone big. The rest is spare parts and unwanted former lottery picks. Has to be one of the ugliest lineups I've seen in years.

Last edited by Groundhog : 11-09-2015 at 10:30 PM.
Groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 11:14 PM   #110
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
It has been the Andrew Wiggins show tonight. 15/22 33 points, 4 ast, 4 reb, 1 st, 1bk

Towns with some huge blocks late on Teague to stall the Hawks momentum.
How do you not include his dunk over Millsap?
Watch Randy Cruz's Vine "Andrew Wiggins 😳"
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 05:22 PM   #111
miami_fan
Coordinator

Sounds like Mario Chalmers and James Ennis are headed to the Grizzlies for Beno Udrih and Jarnell Stokes and a 2nd round pick. The Heat would like to get a third team involved to dump either Udrih or Stokes on.

Gonna miss Rio. I wonder who Wade and Bosh are going to yell at now.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 05:59 PM   #112
Groundhog
Coordinator

I actually think Ennis could end up being something for the Grizz. He's an athletic wing who can hit the three, but didn't have the best offseason. He spent his first pro season in Australia so I saw quite a bit of him for a season.
Old 11-11-2015, 10:41 PM   #113
Groundhog
Coordinator

Someone needs to remind Porzingis that he's supposed to be a couple of years away from contributing yet.

Had a game winner waved off today as being after the buzzer. It can't get much closer but was probably the right call IMO:

Old 11-11-2015, 10:48 PM   #114
Buccaneer
Head Coach

My son went to his first NBA game tonight - Bucks at Nuggets. He and his friend got seats 8 rows up from the floor and saw the Nuggets win in the last seconds. It's not something he is ever going to forget, he said it was an insane atmosphere.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 11:22 PM   #115
nol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Someone needs to remind Porzingis that he's supposed to be a couple of years away from contributing yet.

He was going to be able to contribute right away. It was just a matter of if he'll ever develop into someone who hold his own in the paint and create offense on his own. The rebounding is much better than it ever looked in Europe, but he's shooting 38 percent from the field and 21 percent from three so far. At least the Knicks are giving him the reps. And that game-winner attempt is somewhat illustrative; you can have a nice-looking stroke but if it takes you .6 seconds to catch and shoot, most of your looks are going to end up contested.

Last edited by nol : 11-11-2015 at 11:31 PM.
Old 11-11-2015, 11:32 PM   #116
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nol View Post
And that game-winner attempt is somewhat illustrative; you can have a nice-looking stroke but if it takes you .6 seconds to catch and shoot, most of your looks are going to end up contested.

That was my first thought - took him seemingly forever to load that ball up and get it into the air.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 11:37 PM   #117
Groundhog
Coordinator

Definitely takes too long to get his shot off... brings the ball down (pass was a little low, but still) before going up with it, which pretty much negates his height advantage.
Old 11-12-2015, 04:09 AM   #118
whomario
Pro Starter

Throwback Performance by Dirk and Luis scola is still awesome, as is ginobili also big game by matthews .

Grizzlies are 3-6 now.(admittedly a tough schedule)
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
Old 11-12-2015, 12:02 PM   #119
whomario
Pro Starter

As for the Porzingis would-be-Gamewinner: While i agree that his release is "slowish" (although imo far from super-slow for a 4), the inbounds pass was also utter crap.

Last edited by whomario : 11-12-2015 at 12:03 PM.
Old 11-12-2015, 07:35 PM   #120
miami_fan
Coordinator

33 Bleepin points with three plus minutes left in the 1st quarter. Man oh man the Warriors are something else.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 11-12-2015, 07:43 PM   #121
nol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
33 Bleepin points with three plus minutes left in the 1st quarter. Man oh man the Warriors are something else.

Was gonna say if you want to see Kobe's record possibly fall, Zach Lavine is starting and guarding Steph Curry. 21 points in the first quarter for him.

As Luke Walton said during his quarter interview, the Warriors are fine with having you double Steph and giving them a 4-on-3, and that's because Draymond is uniquely skilled among PFs at handling those situations. He's averaging 6 assists per game and shooting 43% from three this year, in case anyone was still doubting his offensive skills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
That Nets trade was ridiculous. It's like one of those old Red Auerbach trades.

This is true in retrospect because of how quickly KG fell off. He would've been traded for DeAndre Jordan and a first-round pick if he'd been willing to be traded separately from Pierce, and if that had been the case whatever the Celtics could've gotten for Pierce would have combined to be even better than their current haul of picks.

Last edited by nol : 11-12-2015 at 08:19 PM.
Old 11-12-2015, 08:11 PM   #122
Groundhog
Coordinator

Is Curry the greatest shooter of all time? Assuming his shot doesn't fall off a cliff over the next couple of years for whatever reason, taking into consideration volume and accuracy I think it's at least safe to have the discussion?
Old 11-12-2015, 08:15 PM   #123
mckerney
Coordinator

He is when LaVine is supposed to be guarding him.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 08:28 PM   #124
wustin
College Prospect

Quote:
Is Curry the greatest shooter of all time? Assuming his shot doesn't fall off a cliff over the next couple of years for whatever reason, taking into consideration volume and accuracy I think it's at least safe to have the discussion?

There's no discussion. The only thing he doesn't have at the moment is longevity. If he remains healthy, he will leave Ray Allen and Reggie Miller trailing behind him.
wustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 08:35 PM   #125
nol
Banned

Undoubtedly. He does it off the dribble. His style of play has changed the entire game. Conventional wisdom against a pure shooter has always been to run out on them and to force them off the line, but he has changed the game by escape dribbling laterally rather than going towards the hoop. As far as 'signature moves,' that will end up being right up there with the sky hook or the jump shot.
Old 11-12-2015, 08:37 PM   #126
Groundhog
Coordinator

Craziest thing is probably the knock on him coming out of college that he was pretty much just a spot up shooter, without a real PG handle or court vision. I've seen videos of his dribbling drills though, and it's clear he's put in a ton of time in that area of his game.
Old 11-12-2015, 08:50 PM   #127
nol
Banned

Steph Curry was actually the reason I started posting here more regularly. I was very adamant for Minnesota to pick both Rubio and Curry (the idea being that even if the two didn't perfectly synergize, at least one of them was going to be good and you could get a lot by trading one of them), and when I saw somebody on Facebook bringing that up a couple years later, I wanted to make sure I went forth with an opinion enough to be sure I wasn't just cherrypicking the times I happened to be right.
Old 11-12-2015, 08:55 PM   #128
wustin
College Prospect

Quote:
Craziest thing is probably the knock on him coming out of college that he was pretty much just a spot up shooter, without a real PG handle or court vision. I've seen videos of his dribbling drills though, and it's clear he's put in a ton of time in that area of his game.

I followed him when he was at Davidson (I even toured the college when I was in HS). His first two years he played shooting guard with a great point guard (who led the NCAA in assists for two years). Curry's junior year he was forced to play the point for Davidson because the other PG had graduated.

Anyways, with the right mindset and good coaching staff you can develop a two-guard into a point guard in the NBA. Jeff Teague and Westbrook played the two in college.
Old 11-12-2015, 09:26 PM   #129
Groundhog
Coordinator

Russ 20-point quarters last season to lead NBA: 4

Steph 20-point quarters in 10 games: 4
Old 11-13-2015, 01:25 AM   #130
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Crazy Warriors stats -

Draymond Green, the starting Power Forward for the Warriors, is averaging 6.6 assists per game. His 24-12 game tonight was 12 assists. He was two rebounds away from a triple-double with 8. He was also supposedly battling the flu tonight, on the second night of a road back-to-back from Memphis to Minnesota.

Defending NBA Champs to start 10-0 or better:
1957-58 Celtics 14-0
1996-97 Bulls 12-0
1964-65 Celtics 11-0
2015-16 Warriors 10-0

Curry is currently ahead of Michael Jordan's 1995-96 pace in points per game, assists per game and field goal percentage. Which is extra crazy, considering more than half his shots are from three.

Curry is also now 43rd in NBA history for most made three pointers with 1,243. 42nd, with 1,245, is Dell Curry.

I don't remember the last time I had this much fun following a team on a night-by-night basis. Probably Barry Bonds and the home run chase; with this team though, there is so much more to watch.

Edit: Minnesota is going to be pretty damned good pretty damned quick. They've got a lot of talent, and it looks like they're already a pretty strong team.

Last edited by Vince, Pt. II : 11-13-2015 at 01:25 AM.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 01:58 AM   #131
Simbo Klice
High School Varsity

I think the 96 Bulls have something to worry about.
Simbo Klice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 06:21 AM   #132
wustin
College Prospect

To be fair the competition has soft for GSW. I would like to see them against a healthy Cavs team, Hawks, or Spurs.
Old 11-13-2015, 08:46 AM   #133
whomario
Pro Starter

Curry is one of the few guys i would have no problem having my old posts digged up, i was really high on him as a future PG even during his last college season. The guy could, to steal from the NFL, "make all the passes" even then. Stats (like A/TO or AstRatio) were useless for him due to the unique role he had to play.

And yeah, he is truly amazing to watch nowadays and he fits that "there will never be another ..." box for me already.
Old 11-13-2015, 09:34 AM   #134
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simbo Klice View Post
I think the 96 Bulls have something to worry about.

I still think it's really tough to do. Maybe if they were in the Eastern Conference. The West just has too many quality teams.

The season drags later on, guys get injuries, etc. Not to mention that if they are way up in the West, there isn't a huge incentive for them to grind out more wins at the end of the year.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 10:16 AM   #135
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

There's certainly the argument that when you have a title-contenting team, you play for the title. And it would make total sense for GS to take its foot off the gas if/when it gets the #1 seed sewn up.

But, man, if 72 regular season wins is in reach? I think you go for it. You've already got a title in the bag. Go for history.
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 11:14 AM   #136
nol
Banned

The Warriors would have to win their next 18 games to be 72-10 in their last 82 regular season games. That's how absurd the pace would have to be, and that's not going to happen unless the teams they play at the end of the regular season are crappy enough for the Warriors' backups to win.
Old 11-13-2015, 11:27 AM   #137
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Or you can say they're 10-0, and they'd have to go 62-10 over the next 72. Likely? Probably not but it's not out of question.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 11:40 AM   #138
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post

I don't remember the last time I had this much fun following a team on a night-by-night basis. Probably Barry Bonds and the home run chase; with this team though, there is so much more to watch.

Me too, so much fun.
AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 11:52 AM   #139
nol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuqua View Post
Or you can say they're 10-0, and they'd have to go 62-10 over the next 72. Likely? Probably not but it's not out of question.

Even 62-10 is a better pace than what they did last year when they were tearing up the league. They are definitely the best team since those Bulls (and I was saying as much fairly early last season) but resting players is so much more significant in today's NBA that 73+ is extremely unlikely, especially when you consider how pedestrian they have been with Curry off the court (even more so than last season).
Old 11-17-2015, 09:19 AM   #140
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Will the 76ers win a game before the month ends? If they don't take out Indiana at home Wed, it has to come on the 6 game road trip. CHA, MIA, MIN, BOS, HOU, MEM.

Also it's the first team in NBA history to start out 0-11 in b2b years.
murrayyyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 10:59 AM   #141
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrayyyyy View Post
Will the 76ers win a game before the month ends? If they don't take out Indiana at home Wed, it has to come on the 6 game road trip. CHA, MIA, MIN, BOS, HOU, MEM.

Also it's the first team in NBA history to start out 0-11 in b2b years.

The process is working.
Old 11-17-2015, 11:36 AM   #142
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
The process is working.

Hinkie Hater!
Old 11-17-2015, 12:45 PM   #143
wustin
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by nol View Post
Even 62-10 is a better pace than what they did last year when they were tearing up the league. They are definitely the best team since those Bulls (and I was saying as much fairly early last season) but resting players is so much more significant in today's NBA that 73+ is extremely unlikely, especially when you consider how pedestrian they have been with Curry off the court (even more so than last season).

2000 Lakers would've given them a run for their money or even 2004 Pistons.
Old 11-17-2015, 04:12 PM   #144
Groundhog
Coordinator

On the plus side, Sixers finally seem to have a legit piece in Okafor. Another 4-6 years of tanking and they might finally have 8 or 9 legit NBA-quality rotation guys.
Old 11-17-2015, 08:51 PM   #145
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
The process is working.
The Minnesota Timberwolves haven't been above .500 and have won >40% of their games/finished above 12th once in the last decade. But it's OK because they were trying? In 2 years when Philly has added Saric, 2-3 more top lottery guys, and started to fill out the rotation around them nobody will care if they won 15, 25, or 35 games these last 3 years.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 09:13 PM   #146
Groundhog
Coordinator

Porzingis with a 29-11 line today against the Hornets.

Kaminsky 1-5 for 2 points and 5 rebounds in 24 minutes... maybe looking like he should've stuck around in school for another year or two...
Old 11-18-2015, 02:14 AM   #147
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
The Minnesota Timberwolves haven't been above .500 and have won >40% of their games/finished above 12th once in the last decade. But it's OK because they were trying? In 2 years when Philly has added Saric, 2-3 more top lottery guys, and started to fill out the rotation around them nobody will care if they won 15, 25, or 35 games these last 3 years.

Perfect example of what the 76ers are doing. Gathering a bunch of picks, constantly drafting the same position and not being successful with this strategy.

06 g Brandon Roy @6
07 g Brewer @7
08 g Mayo @3 (traded for love)
09 g Rubio@5 g Flynn @6, g Lawson @18
10 g Johnson @4 g Babbitt @16

Throw in allowing McHale allowing Ainge to rape him in any trade because they were buddies. In fact, they loved trading players for future picks also. I just don't understand how it will work in Philly when it usually doesn't work anywhere else.
Old 11-18-2015, 03:15 AM   #148
whomario
Pro Starter

Not to really challenge your point, but Johnson, babbit and (maybe debatable, but still imo) brewer are not guards and never were and what have lawson and mayo have to do with this, having been traded on draft day ? Thats like saying Dirk was an awesome pick by the Bucks ( roy however was dealt for Foye, a guard)

Last edited by whomario : 11-18-2015 at 03:18 AM.
Old 11-18-2015, 09:02 AM   #149
Logan
Head Coach

McHale out in Houston.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 09:21 AM   #150
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
Not to really challenge your point, but Johnson, babbit and (maybe debatable, but still imo) brewer are not guards and never were and what have lawson and mayo have to do with this, having been traded on draft day ? Thats like saying Dirk was an awesome pick by the Bucks ( roy however was dealt for Foye, a guard)

Johnson and Brewer are those 2/3 prototypes that don't have a real position in today's NBA. Brewer's best year was when he started all 82 games at the 2 his third year. Same with Welsey as the move to the 3 hurt his numbers in Minnesota (started at the 2 his rookie year).

But it does subscribe to the theory of "look at all these lottery picks so we have to be good, right?!?!"

They had 6, 7, 3, 5+6+18+28, 4+16+23, 2+20 as first round picks over a 6 year period and they still never hit .500 with all those picks.