Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-01-2015, 03:40 PM   #101
Comey
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
I have the SP4 and I love it!! It's a fantastic device! I've heard some issues on battery life. It's not fantastic, but it'll easily get you through 6-8 hours as long as you aren't doing really taxing stuff. Everything else on it is really, really good. I usually don't need a laptop off power for all day, so it really isn't a big deal for me.

What config do you have? I've read reports that the m3 is plenty sufficient, and may be better than the i5. I want to compare the costs before I make up my mind. My main uses for the device are:

Writing
Surfing
Video
Light gaming (OOTP/FBCB-PB/FM)
Some light photoediting

I'd rather look towards the next 3-4 years with the device, which has me leaning towards the i5. I have no use for the i7, really.

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 09:37 AM   #102
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I have the i5, 8GB RAM, 256GB HD. It is a really quick device. I haven't gamed on it yet, however.
Old 11-03-2015, 06:50 PM   #103
Comey
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
I have the i5, 8GB RAM, 256GB HD. It is a really quick device. I haven't gamed on it yet, however.

I bit the bullet and did the trade-in program. With the student discount, it was definitely a great deal. I got the same rig you have. This thing is unbelievable.

Old 11-04-2015, 11:55 AM   #104
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Nice

Every once in a while I get a glitch where the Surface won't recognize the mouse pointer when I wake it up, but a quick restart (which takes like 15 seconds) brings it back.

Aside from that it's been perfect. The battery life is more than fine for my purposes. And the device is amazing. I simply cannot believe that all this power is contained in that little space of the tablet. It's unreal to me. And the keyboard is far more comfortable to type on than it has any reason to be.
Old 11-04-2015, 01:33 PM   #105
Comey
College Starter

Are there any particular apps or programs you recommend?

Old 11-04-2015, 06:01 PM   #106
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Loving my book. It is a great gaming pc for the types of games I play and is excellent for my work too. I am getting a lot of studying done at work and also enjoying lunch time gaming.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 06:06 PM   #107
Miller Time
H.S. Freshman Team

How do games like FM16 and CIV V run on the 4?

I am thinking about getting one but can only really afford the base model. The i5-6300U.
Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 06:07 PM   #108
rjolley
College Starter

Hey EF27, have you tried NBA2K on it? I'm curious to see if the model with the dedicated graphics card can handle it.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 06:54 PM   #109
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjolley View Post
Hey EF27, have you tried NBA2K on it? I'm curious to see if the model with the dedicated graphics card can handle it.

I have not. I don't even have it for my really powerful home computer. I only play it on the PS4 right now. I might consider adding it for the computer at some point in the future.

Games I have played on the book:

Civ V - Runs great with no hitches.
Pillars of Eternity - Playing it on native 3000*2000 with ultra settings and it is buttery smooth (and looks great!)
FM 16 - Runs wonderful!
Age of Wonders (with all expansions) - Runs great on native resolution with top settings.

I'm probably going to try Skyrim on it in the near future as I've been getting the itch to start up a new character on there, although I mainly play that on my main home computer.
Old 11-04-2015, 07:28 PM   #110
Miller Time
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
I have not. I don't even have it for my really powerful home computer. I only play it on the PS4 right now. I might consider adding it for the computer at some point in the future.

Pillars of Eternity - Playing it on native 3000*2000 with ultra settings and it is buttery smooth (and looks great!)
FM 16 - Runs wonderful!
Age of Wonders (with all expansions) - Runs great on native resolution with top settings.

I'm probably going to try Skyrim on it in the near future as I've been getting the itch to start up a new character on there, although I mainly play that on my main home computer.

Thanks for the update, very positive feedback. Which model of the 4 did you buy?
Old 11-04-2015, 07:55 PM   #111
jaygr
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
Thanks for the update, very positive feedback. Which model of the 4 did you buy?

Are you looking at the Surface Pro 4 or the Surface Book? They are two separate products. Eaglesfan27 has the Surface Book.
jaygr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 08:00 PM   #112
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post

I have the Surface Book and it is one of the more expensive models with the i7, 512 GB Hard drive, and discrete graphics card.
Old 11-04-2015, 08:15 PM   #113
Miller Time
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post

FM 16 - Runs wonderful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaygr View Post
Are you looking at the Surface Pro 4 or the Surface Book? They are two separate products. Eaglesfan27 has the Surface Book.

Thank you for that. I was thinking Surface Pro 4.

Anyone have any ideas if FM will run smooth on it? Everything I have read so far indicates it will.
Old 11-04-2015, 08:19 PM   #114
HerRealName
College Prospect

I've run FM14 and FM15 for many hours on the Surface Pro 3 with no issues. I have the i5, 256 GB model.

Also, I had Skyrim installed and played through it a bit as well with only one issue... my complete lack of skill playing first person games. I think I had to lower the graphics settings down a bit though.

Last edited by HerRealName : 11-04-2015 at 08:27 PM.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 08:59 AM   #115
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comey View Post
Are there any particular apps or programs you recommend?

Well, it's a Windows laptop, so whatever you'd have on any other laptop . As for Win10 tablet apps, Netflix, Hulu, etc. are all good - in case you are out somewhere and just want to watch a movie or show.
Old 11-05-2015, 11:55 AM   #116
Comey
College Starter

I wasn't sure if there was something out there that was fantastic, and I was missing it. That's all.

I'm tempted to throw NBA2k16 on there.

Old 11-05-2015, 03:36 PM   #117
rjolley
College Starter

If you do, let me know how it does.

I looked at one at Best Buy last night. It's a lot nicer than I was expecting. I'm looking for a new machine and that might fit the bill. Just not in love with the price point.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 03:41 PM   #118
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Maybe we should update the title of the thread now .