Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-05-2013, 08:08 PM   #101
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Thank goodness for ESPN 3. Mizzou getting some payback so far tonight.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 08:24 PM   #102
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

The OSU fake punt really seemed desperate.
Old 10-05-2013, 08:25 PM   #103
tarcone
Coordinator

Stat of the day: Iowa has been unsuccessful in stopping the last 7 fake punts run against them. This is since 2010.
If an opposing team doesnt run a fake punt against us, they are stupid.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 08:31 PM   #104
Jas_lov
College Starter

Really stupid fake punt attempt. Then Meyer lets over a minute wind off the clock when he's sitting there with all 3 timeouts.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 08:54 PM   #105
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Death. Taxes. State losing at Wake Forest. *sigh*
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 09:16 PM   #106
Jon
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike View Post
my heart hurts but at least Rutgers won.

I didn't see the whole thing, we went on a whale watching trip in Friday Harbor, WA and saw some great orcas and some humpbacks.

Sounds like it was a good thing we stopped watching at 21-0.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 09:20 PM   #107
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Looks like a complete mental no-show by OSU. Miller doesn't even look like he cares. I could see NW winning tonight, and OSU winning the Big Ten title game.
Old 10-05-2013, 09:28 PM   #108
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Really fired up for the biggest UW game since I went there and of course it is pouring here in Ohio and I have no satellite signal.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 09:37 PM   #109
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

just got my signal back, wish I hadnt
Old 10-05-2013, 09:44 PM   #110
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

If I'm OSU, I would use Hyde as much as possible because he's been the one guy NW has had issues with all game long.
Old 10-05-2013, 10:01 PM   #111
HerRealName
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
If I'm OSU, I would use Hyde as much as possible because he's been the one guy NW has had issues with all game long.

Agreed but he also looks completely out of shape.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:05 PM   #112
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Jesus Christ with the flags.
Old 10-05-2013, 10:14 PM   #113
MrBug708
Head Coach

Brian Kelly is a dumb coach
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:30 PM   #114
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Northwestern got screwed on a bad spot but the replay became inconclusive so they couldn't overturn the spot. Though it was a screwed up play from the start.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:39 PM   #115
RainMaker
General Manager

Did OSU get flagged tonight?
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:40 PM   #116
RainMaker
General Manager

That spot was also pathetic and BCS conferences are making fools of themselves. Big 12 Thursday and Big 10 tonight.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:42 PM   #117
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Baylor is just plain fast. On both sides of the ball.

Wow, just saw that coming into this week they have the #1 passing offense and #4 rushing offense, keeping it up with 396 passing yards and 439 rushing with 5 minutes to go tonight.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:45 PM   #118
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post

espn box score says 1-10 (NW 4-42)
Old 10-05-2013, 10:46 PM   #119
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Once for 10 yards. NW's seem to all come at horrible spots even though there were only four of them.
Old 10-05-2013, 10:58 PM   #120
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Inexcusable to give up a td there.
Old 10-05-2013, 10:58 PM   #121
Kodos
Resident Alien

Huge win for Indiana today. We need more performances like this if we want to make a bowl this year. Nice to get the PSU monkey off of our back, even if it was a weakened monkey.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 11:00 PM   #122
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
That spot was also pathetic and BCS conferences are making fools of themselves. Big 12 Thursday and Big 10 tonight.

One ref came in with what looked like a more accurate spot and the one at the top overruled him it seems. I see either two possible spots for that play. Either where the ref from the bottom of the screen was coming in (still would have needed a measurement) or behind the line if the ref thought his knee was down when his picked up the ball (which it wasn't). I don't get the halfway in between spot. You can see on the shot from behind the play that he gets beyond where the spot was marked.
Old 10-05-2013, 11:07 PM   #123
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

The problem with the Iowa State call was that by the time you see the defender with the ball the runner's knee was already down for a bit. Not saying that it was or wasn't a fumble but there is no way seeing on replay when the defender got the ball from the runner. That is entirely covered and by the time he turns with the ball the runner's knee had been down for a moment. No matter how that was called on the field it wouldn't have been overturned.

Unless there is an angle that I didn't get to see yet.
Old 10-05-2013, 11:09 PM   #124
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Huge win for Indiana today. We need more performances like this if we want to make a bowl this year. Nice to get the PSU monkey off of our back, even if it was a weakened monkey.

One of the most surprising scores I saw today.
Old 10-05-2013, 11:18 PM   #125
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Mizzou's big win at Vandy sets up a very interesting matchup against a Georgia team who barely survived this week and will likely be missing its top two RB's for the game. Definitely still GA's to lose and an opportunity game for Mizzou. Wouldn't be surprised to see Mizzou ranked next week as well.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 02:51 AM   #126
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Some Michigan numbers...

This will be Brady Hoke's 32nd game as head coach of Michigan. He is 24-7, including 18-0 at Michigan Stadium (5-5 on the road, 1-2 on neutral sites).

Rich Rodriguez was 15-22, and only 11-11 at home.

If the Wolverines score nine points or more at Penn State, Hoke's teams will, in 32 games, have scored more than Rodriguez's teams scored in 37 games. If the Wolverines allow 555 points or more at Penn State, you could say the same about the defense.

Despite this week's results, I think Penn State is solid - run defense seems to be a big strength, which means Devin Gardner will have to throw. Gardner took care of the ball today, but was tied for the FBS lead in turnovers going into the game. I think it'll be a nail-biter either way next week.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 06:35 AM   #127
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I decided to play a drinking game called do a shot every time they show Bishop Sankeys grandfather. Needless to say I was hammered by the half.

Just woke up and watched the second half and man am I sick. We had a real chance to win that game but way to many mistakes. The special teams play was terrible leading directly to 2 touchdowns.. giving up a score with 11 seconds left in the half is an inexcusable mental breakdown.

I think we had the defense on the ropes the whole second half. I hated a couple of Sarks play calls. Most noticeably after the fake punt he called a sweep to the right. I think you have to go downfield there. They just forced the defemse back to the field and I think you need to test themin the spot. Not a fan of the call on the call near the goal line where price threw the pick. I think you run with Sankeys there. He had been running well and at the very least you need 2 scores and you. Settle for the field goal.

The reverse call at the end there was dreadful. With the call on the field as complete I don't see how there is evidence to overrule that. Guess the PAC 12 wants to make sure they preserve an undefeated matchup with Oregon and Stanford.
Old 10-06-2013, 07:15 AM   #128
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Mizzou's big win at Vandy sets up a very interesting matchup against a Georgia team who barely survived this week and will likely be missing its top two RB's for the game.

FWIW, Gurley is 50-50 for next week according to Richt
Old 10-06-2013, 07:39 AM   #129
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
FWIW, Gurley is 50-50 for next week according to Richt

I'm more worried about which defensive players Richt has already trained to fake injuries.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:18 AM   #130
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
I'm more worried about which defensive players Richt has already trained to fake injuries.

The offensive guys can probably help 'em with that

And before anybody thinks I'm making too light of the legit injuries UGA suffered yesterday, you'd have to consider the amount of mindless blather I've seen about how it was all part of some master plan designed by the Tennessee players/staff.

Of the three major injuries to the Georgia offense yesterday, one guy pulled up lame on special teams while running alone, another had already hurt his knee in practice earlier in the week and the worst was a fluke where he got bumped around the waist & his foot caught in the turf at just the wrong moment, with both guys reaching for an errant pass. If anybody in Knoxville was able to plan for that then they need to be picking my lottery numbers next week.
Old 10-06-2013, 09:25 AM   #131
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

from an espn.com article which spelled out something I hadn't really thought about quite so clearly

Quote:
since starting its long winning streak in Meyer's debut last season, OSU hasn't faced a team ranked higher than the Wildcats.
Old 10-06-2013, 09:33 AM   #132
Logan
Head Coach

My Rutgers frustration not withstanding, this was a pretty good weekend of college football.

Last edited by Logan : 10-06-2013 at 09:33 AM.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:38 AM   #133
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
from an espn.com article which spelled out something I hadn't really thought about quite so clearly

And yet they still may very well play in the BCS Champ. (Go Oregon.)
Old 10-06-2013, 10:13 AM   #134
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Does anyone else think Clowney is being coached by someone to play like shit this year so he drops in the draft? Sitting out a game with bruised ribs would basically take him off my board. I almost wonder if he even really wants to play football.

FUCK EA

Last edited by Julio Riddols : 10-06-2013 at 10:14 AM.
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 10:23 AM   #135
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
And yet they still may very well play in the BCS Champ. (Go Oregon.)

It's possible, but doubtful. I imagine if any of Oregon, Stanford, Clemson, Florida State are unbeaten they would play in the national championship over an undefeated OSU.

I'm just assuming Alabama is in the game.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:25 AM   #136
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

NW's toughest team up to that point has been either Syracuse or Maine. I'm not sure NW is really a Top 15 team when it is all said and done. Michigan is the only team in the conference who has the raw talent to beat OSU, but I don't trust parts of Michigan enough yet to think they could beat OSU on an even basis. I think I had OSU around #6-#7 in my head and maybe at worst #10. Last night's game changed little of that.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:40 AM   #137
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
It's possible, but doubtful. I imagine if any of Oregon, Stanford, Clemson, Florida State are unbeaten they would play in the national championship over an undefeated OSU.

I'm just assuming Alabama is in the game.

Best case scenario for OSU is Michigan has one loss when they play and then OSU plays a one loss MSU in the conference title game. If there are two undefeated teams coming from the SEC, ACC, or Pac-12, OSU is getting screwed. The Big Ten's OOC W-L record isn't helping them.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:46 AM   #138
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post
Does anyone else think Clowney is being coached by someone to play like shit this year so he drops in the draft? Sitting out a game with bruised ribs would basically take him off my board. I almost wonder if he even really wants to play football.

I don't know if that's exactly what I'm thinking, but there's almost got to be something going on.

I keep thinking that he looks like a guy trying to play through/recover from an illness (I believe I said that after week one) but now, honestly ... it's hard for me not to wonder if the problem(s) are more chemical than physical.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:50 AM   #139
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post

Maybe he doesn't want to play for Jacksonville. Seems like it would be better to go the Eli Manning route and act like a little bitch until they trade you to a big market team vs. tanking your season. Though I will admit a multi-million dollar payday vs risking a serious inury against Kentucky isn't as cut and dry as us arm-chair quarterbacks like to claim.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 11:12 AM   #140
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

I don't think it is safe to assume he would go to the Jaguars. If I was a fan and they didn't draft a QB, there would be rioting.
Old 10-06-2013, 11:56 AM   #141
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Yeah, the Jags need a QB more than anything. Probably a coach too, because there's no explanation for them being so much worse this year than they were last year.

From my armchair QB point of view though, I wouldn't want a player on my team that doesn't want to play no matter what. Protecting yourself against injuries? Does he have nothing else he can do if he doesn't make it as a football player? Is he going to sit out all the other games with minor ailments for fear of injury? Fact is the kid has played like an average college DE this year, ailments or not.

Is he going to avoid playing his first 3 years in the pros too so he doesn't miss out on the big payday he is apparently saving himself for?

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 12:48 PM   #142
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I decided to play a drinking game called do a shot every time they show Bishop Sankeys grandfather. Needless to say I was hammered by the half.

Just woke up and watched the second half and man am I sick. We had a real chance to win that game but way to many mistakes. The special teams play was terrible leading directly to 2 touchdowns.. giving up a score with 11 seconds left in the half is an inexcusable mental breakdown.

I think we had the defense on the ropes the whole second half. I hated a couple of Sarks play calls. Most noticeably after the fake punt he called a sweep to the right. I think you have to go downfield there. They just forced the defemse back to the field and I think you need to test themin the spot. Not a fan of the call on the call near the goal line where price threw the pick. I think you run with Sankeys there. He had been running well and at the very least you need 2 scores and you. Settle for the field goal.

The reverse call at the end there was dreadful. With the call on the field as complete I don't see how there is evidence to overrule that. Guess the PAC 12 wants to make sure they preserve an undefeated matchup with Oregon and Stanford.

Eh, great game, but that ball bounced - shit call in the first place, and UW got a couple of those earlier as well (the Williams catch that lead to a touchdown). You've got no scope to complain on that.

Overall, UW looked very good while hogan couldn't hit the broadside of a barn. Also, david shaw is more god man conservative than Ted Cruz - so damn predictable; and yet he couldn't figure out that UW kept running that Goldman bubble screen again and again and again. Price looked very good to me. Great atmosphere at the stadium overall though.

Last edited by Crapshoot : 10-06-2013 at 12:48 PM.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 01:10 PM   #143
tarcone
Coordinator

Im really hoping for a Baylor-Oregon championship game. They would outscore a Baylor-Oregon basketball game.

IMO, Clowney has read too much about himself. He isnt interested in college football. He thinks he is a high pick. And he probably is despite his antics this season. He looks to me like he is biding his time until he can cash the big paycheck. And trying not to blow out a knee or bang his head.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 02:57 PM   #144
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Florida State vs. Oregon would be quite a barnburner as well.
Old 10-06-2013, 03:56 PM   #145
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
IMO, Clowney has read too much about himself. He isnt interested in college football. He thinks he is a high pick. And he probably is despite his antics this season. He looks to me like he is biding his time until he can cash the big paycheck. And trying not to blow out a knee or bang his head.

Clowney may be taking it too far, but I think coaches and fans need to adjust to the concept that football players are beginning to think of themselves as shareholders in their own corporations rather than workers in others' corporations.

Slowly, uncomfortably, I'm beginning to realize that my views of the world are getting a little old and inflexible and kids 30 years younger are a little different from what I was 30 years ago.

I am certain there are many 20-year-old boys who find Miley Cyrus quite sexy and daring. Surely a sign of a coming apocalypse?
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 04:35 PM   #146
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack View Post
Death. Taxes. State losing at Wake Forest. *sigh*

Starting QB Brandon Mitchell needs to get back into the lineup ASAP. I understand he's likely to return this week vs. Syracuse. The Wolfpack is going nowhere with Pete Thomas at the helm.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 05:30 PM   #147
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
Eh, great game, but that ball bounced - shit call in the first place, and UW got a couple of those earlier as well (the Williams catch that lead to a touchdown). You've got no scope to complain on that.
Uh, I dunno what game you were watching, but there was nothing BS about that Williams call. Don't even get me started on the officiating in this game, especially if you're trying to say Washington didn't get screwed: The non-existent hands to the face that was called against Kikaha, the absolute bullshit personal foul call on Darrell Daniels on the Washington punt return, not tossing the Stanford defender for targeting Keith Price after the play had been whistled dead and he dove helmet first at Price, the multiple non-calls on obvious Stanford holds.

As for the Smith catch/overruling, I think he probably trapped it, but unless there was an angle ESPN didn't show, there wasn't conclusive evidence to overturn the call on the field.

Quote:
Overall, UW looked very good while hogan couldn't hit the broadside of a barn.
Maybe the fact that Washington is 3rd in the country in pass defense (both pass efficiency and yardage) had something to do with that?
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 06:05 PM   #148
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

UGA injury update this evening from CMR: RB Marshall & WR Scott-Wesley done for the season, both have torn ACL's. WR Bennett will be scoped to determine the extent of his knee injury.
Old 10-06-2013, 06:18 PM   #149
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
Uh, I dunno what game you were watching, but there was nothing BS about that Williams call. Don't even get me started on the officiating in this game, especially if you're trying to say Washington didn't get screwed: The non-existent hands to the face that was called against Kikaha, the absolute bullshit personal foul call on Darrell Daniels on the Washington punt return, not tossing the Stanford defender for targeting Keith Price after the play had been whistled dead and he dove helmet first at Price, the multiple non-calls on obvious Stanford holds.

As for the Smith catch/overruling, I think he probably trapped it, but unless there was an angle ESPN didn't show, there wasn't conclusive evidence to overturn the call on the field.

Maybe the fact that Washington is 3rd in the country in pass defense (both pass efficiency and yardage) had something to do with that?

Yeah, we are not going to agree on the refs - UW got plenty of breaks from my view. I did think Sark's line about faking injuries was bullshit - Shane Skov is the best player on that Stanford defense - you think he wants to miss a play by faking an injury? That seemed extraordinarily low class. Again, UW looked amazing (as I lead with). Also, someone out to explain to David Shaw what a bubble screen is.

Last edited by Crapshoot : 10-06-2013 at 06:18 PM.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 07:42 PM   #150
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

I'm on a phone, so I ain't typing a book. But I've got a friend who is affiliated with the SC football program (think equipment guy not coach) he tells lots of crazy tales...and he's about 50-50 sometimes he calls crazy things,and sometimes he spews shit...
Anyway, he was insistent all summer that Clowney was dividing the team. Refusing to work out. Challenging coaches to their face reportedly telling DC Ward at one point "MF'er you can't make me do shit and if you keep it up I'll kick your ass in front of everyone out here"...at this point Ward wanted to suspend or kick him off them team and Spurrier told Ward to shut up or he would be the one off the team.

It's very possible if all that is true, and I have no clue if it is or not, Clowney could be so out of shape he isn't capable of more.

Great great talent, but I question his work ethic.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote