Head Coach

Jim Mora is apparently in Seattle
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 08:37 PM   #102
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Pinkel's been asked before about the Washington job and if he'd take it if it ever popped up. He said he might have earlier in his career, but felt like he was at a point where starting over with a new program isn't a very attractive option.

You have to remember at this point that with one more win, Pinkel will become the all-time wins leader at Mizzou. He'll have a statue outside the gates at some point. He's also likely to get a lucrative extension at the end of the season. I would think that being the all-time leader in wins at two schools (Toledo and Missouri) is probably enough for him. And he's now got the backing of a division championship and a possible SEC championship when he heads out to recruit.

It may seem like I'm picking on you, but people who think they know what one of these guys is going to do are out of their ever loving minds. Coaches say one thing and then do whatever they want. Sark was on a radio show this morning stating he had discussions with USC, but nothing was close. A couple of hours later it was announced. There are so many more coaches who have said one thing and did another in all of college and pro sports that any denial of contact makes me convinced it happened and any talk of happiness at one spot means the guy is going elsewhere.

Even when it doesn't happen the first time (ie Roy Williams staying at Kansans when the NC job opened up), you know the next time is going to be just as bad. Pinkel may well stay at Mizzou, he may stay there for the next twenty years. Then again, he may want to return to Washington and coach there. Or, hell, he could be the head coach for the Houston Texans next week. We just don't know.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 09:29 PM   #103
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
How soon til the Bobby Hauck to UW rumors start

He just signed an extension recently as a result of this season's success.

TBH, I'm not sure if this season is legit or if it's just a flash in the pan. We'll see how Sherry looks next year at QB, since Herring is graduating, I believe.. and who knows if Devante Davis stays or not.

And then there's if Adonis Smith can replace Tim Cornett at RB.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)

Last edited by Izulde : 12-02-2013 at 09:30 PM.
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 09:29 PM   #104
MrBug708
Head Coach

Tedford getting some traction at Wyoming's opening, though he might be able to do better
Old 12-02-2013, 09:33 PM   #105
Logan
Head Coach

Seems like there's finally some traction to Kyle Flood being done at Rutgers.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 09:38 PM   #106
Jon
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Seems like there's finally some traction to Kyle Flood being done at Rutgers.

Really? Everything I've seen suggests the opposite, due to buyout issues and whatnot.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:38 PM   #107
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Just saw that Sark was the first football head coach to leave UW voluntarily for another school since 1956. Considering the amount of churn in the sport, that is an impressive stat.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:56 PM   #108
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon View Post
Really? Everything I've seen suggests the opposite, due to buyout issues and whatnot.

Seems like the power brokers, aka the big money donors are pushing back. At least that's the way I read the post on the Scarlet Nation premium board.

Crossing my fingers, crossing my toes, and crossing whatever else i can cross.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:59 PM   #109
MrBug708
Head Coach

Apparently Mora is meeting with Woodard in the next 16 hours or so
Old 12-02-2013, 11:05 PM   #110
Jon
High School Varsity

Where has this 8 million been before?
Old 12-02-2013, 11:11 PM   #111
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Where has this 8 million been before?

Rutgers' buyouts aren't 8M. It's 850K or so for Flood, could be a little more based on some incentives he could achieve, between 700K and 800K for the 2 coordinators and then whatever half a year of salary is for a new coaching staff.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Old 12-02-2013, 11:41 PM   #112
Jon
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike View Post
Rutgers' buyouts aren't 8M. It's 850K or so for Flood, could be a little more based on some incentives he could achieve, between 700K and 800K for the 2 coordinators and then whatever half a year of salary is for a new coaching staff.

The 8 million is from the 3.5 million to buy out the whole staff, plus the 4-5 million to hire a whole new staff.
Old 12-03-2013, 12:35 AM   #113
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Just saw that Sark was the first football head coach to leave UW voluntarily for another school since 1956. Considering the amount of churn in the sport, that is an impressive stat.
Yeah, and what lowdown dirty rotten school was it that poached that coach? I'll bet it's a school that wouldn't think twice about breaking apart a few conferences...

dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:50 AM   #114
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Apparently Mora is meeting with Woodard in the next 16 hours or so
Don't worry Bug, word is Mora has been able to leverage this to get better pay for his assistants and has rejected Woodward's offer.
Old 12-03-2013, 12:53 AM   #115
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
Don't worry Bug, word is Mora has been able to leverage this to get better pay for his assistants and has rejected Woodward's offer.

Yup that's the word. Although, given Mora is on a recruiting trip with most of his staff right now anyway, on UCLA's dime, it probably would have been hard for him to make a sudden trip up to Seattle.

Crazy what it takes for UCLA's AD to step it up.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 06:45 AM   #116
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
The 8 million is from the 3.5 million to buy out the whole staff, plus the 4-5 million to hire a whole new staff.

Ok, but even if you buyout these guys, there still has to be money budgeted for a coaching staff next year. This year the budgeted amount was 3.2 Mil, so that still has to be there, so now the amount to find is new salary - 3.2 M.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Old 12-03-2013, 07:29 AM   #117
Logan
Head Coach

Yeah I have a buddy who's father is a fairly large donor, but he just likes going to games and hanging out so the son ends up interacting with the guys in the AD on his behalf. He had a conversation with one of the people in Major Gifts yesterday; the money is in place to pay the buyouts, that's not the issue. It seems like Hermann has been hesitant to pull the trigger, for reasons not related to his actual performance, and she's pretty much the only one left in the AD who isn't completely on board with firing Flood. But it seems like with the financial support coming in, and big donors being 100% against Flood now (many of whom she had to work really hard to bring back into the fold after Pernetti was let go), she doesn't have much of an option.

According to the guy, we're more likely to go after a BCS coordinator (Narduzzi) than a lower level HC (Lembo, Clawson). There's also one potential wild card.
Old 12-03-2013, 07:48 AM   #118
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:

According to the guy, we're more likely to go after a BCS coordinator (Narduzzi) than a lower level HC (Lembo, Clawson). There's also one potential wild card.

I think I'd lean more towards Narduzzi than the 2 MAC guys. Clawson's 31-31 MAC record would worry me, especially since Bowling Green wasn't awful before he took over. Lembo has done a nice job at Ball State tho.

There's gonna be concerns with anyone Rutgers hires because even the top coordinators often struggle. Hopefully Narduzzi could bring in someone to help mentor him along.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Old 12-03-2013, 07:52 AM   #119
Butter
Coordinator

If Rutgers waits a few weeks, I hear Greg Schiano will be available again.
Old 12-03-2013, 07:59 AM   #120
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I know there is a show clause, or whatever it is called, but with RU going into the Big10 would Tressle be a terrible hire?

Let a coordinator handle things for the duration of the suspension then you have Tressle there to step in.

Last edited by Lathum : 12-03-2013 at 07:59 AM.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:02 AM   #121
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I know there is a show clause, or whatever it is called, but with RU going into the Big10 would Tressle be a terrible hire?

Let a coordinator handle things for the duration of the suspension then you have Tressle there to step in.

I don't trust the incompetence of the Rutgers' Athletic Department to not rear its head and end up with Rutgers getting the death penalty.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Old 12-03-2013, 08:06 AM   #122
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post

Well that didn't take long.

I think there's about a 0.01% chance of it happening because the school would never have the stones to do it, but it's been said that his name is being thrown around a lot, especially from donors. The school has some ambitious plans when it comes to facilities as it grows in the B1G and money would supposedly pour in.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:20 AM   #123
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
Yeah, and what lowdown dirty rotten school was it that poached that coach? I'll bet it's a school that wouldn't think twice about breaking apart a few conferences...

Old 12-03-2013, 12:10 PM   #124
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

If I remember my Husky history correctly, the AD at the time approached Bear Bryant about the job, and Bear suggested Royal who was coaching at Mississippi State at the time. When Royal took off for Texas a year later, the AD went back to Bear who then suggested one his assistants, Jim Owens.
Old 12-03-2013, 04:48 PM   #125
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

And the news of Mora returning to UCLA hits the Twitterverse and media outlets... right in the middle of the USC-Sarkisian introduction PC.

Not a coincidence, I am sure.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 12-03-2013, 05:17 PM   #126
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
And the news of Mora returning to UCLA hits the Twitterverse and media outlets... right in the middle of the USC-Sarkisian introduction PC.

Not a coincidence, I am sure.

The rush to hire Sark was probably to limit the fallout for the USC loss to UCLA
Old 12-03-2013, 07:08 PM   #127
miked
College Starter

The other thing I would imagine holding RU back is that Flood has met/exceeded academic benchmarks (which some people still care about) and RU is currently one of the most subsidized programs in the country. And they just spent big money on the stadium.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:20 AM   #128
Logan
Head Coach

A bit of a kerfuffle there yesterday, hey General Mike? Haha...

My guy is telling me the decision has already been made. Flood and co will be gone. The hangup at this point is getting more money for the next HC and staff as Hermann wants to increase the budget. But she's been told it's not coming through the AD directly and needs to be raised privately, so that's what she is working on now.

Let's keep that here .
Old 12-04-2013, 11:36 AM   #129
General Mike
Pro Starter

Yep. I think I'll just stay off ScarletNation til Flood is gone. That board is unreadable with everyone having a "source". I agree that the coaching salary pool needs to increase, but it should be easier to raise 500K to 1M when there is already an existing coaches budget to build on top of.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Old 12-04-2013, 12:32 PM   #130
General Mike
Pro Starter

Dola, I lied. I can't stay away.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Old 12-04-2013, 04:22 PM   #131
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Only people who really follow college football will immediately get what a big deal this is, but UCLA just hired former USC RB coach Kennedy Polamalu as its new RB coach.

Polamalu is considered to be one of the best recruiters in the country and was key in getting some of the top talent USC has seen at RB the past decade.

And if you hate Kiffin, as a bonus, he is rumored to have punched out Kiffin before the Sun Bowl last year.

Old 12-05-2013, 11:43 AM   #132
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
It may seem like I'm picking on you, but people who think they know what one of these guys is going to do are out of their ever loving minds. Coaches say one thing and then do whatever they want. Sark was on a radio show this morning stating he had discussions with USC, but nothing was close. A couple of hours later it was announced. There are so many more coaches who have said one thing and did another in all of college and pro sports that any denial of contact makes me convinced it happened and any talk of happiness at one spot means the guy is going elsewhere.

Even when it doesn't happen the first time (ie Roy Williams staying at Kansans when the NC job opened up), you know the next time is going to be just as bad. Pinkel may well stay at Mizzou, he may stay there for the next twenty years. Then again, he may want to return to Washington and coach there. Or, hell, he could be the head coach for the Houston Texans next week. We just don't know.

Oh, I had a pretty good idea. Some on the board know already, but I have a family member that works on Coach Pinkel's staff. My understanding is that Washington did call Coach Pinkel the day after Sark left. They (UW) knew he likely would say no, but did it more as a courtesy given the support that he showed the University and Coach James over the years. I thought that was a really nice gesture by Washington and I know it meant a lot to Coach Pinkel that they took time to do so.

Regardless, he confirmed today that he's not going anywhere, so we can put that to bed.

Gary Pinkel says he remains committed to Missouri Tigers - ESPN
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 04:50 PM   #133
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Hmmm, this is starting to seem like UW & Petersen might be a thing:

Old 12-06-2013, 07:11 AM   #134
Logan
Head Coach

Schad reporting it's done

Quote:
@schadjoe: Chris Petersen expected to be named Washington head coach today. Will be one of highest paid in PAC-12.
Old 12-06-2013, 07:23 AM   #135
MrBug708
Head Coach

I guess he really did never want to leave the NW.
Old 12-06-2013, 07:32 AM   #136
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Awesome news!
Old 12-06-2013, 07:36 AM   #137
Kodos
Resident Alien

Wow. This will be interesting to watch.
Old 12-06-2013, 07:39 AM   #138
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I'm boiling over with excitment right now. I never thought Peterson would leave Boise. I have never been so happy to be wrong.

He really is a guy that I think can get us to the next level. I also think he has such great name recognition that we should be able to keep all our kids.

Really fired up right now.
Old 12-06-2013, 07:53 AM   #139
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

So much for BSU. I can't see them bringing in anybody remotely close to Petersen's level. It would have to be a hot coordinator looking for their first HC job.

Last edited by Matthean : 12-06-2013 at 07:54 AM.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 07:55 AM   #140
Kodos
Resident Alien

I would be beyond excited if I were a Washington fan.
Old 12-06-2013, 07:57 AM   #141
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
So much for BSU. I can't see them bringing in anybody remotely close to Petersen's level. It would have to be a hot coordinator looking for their first HC job.

Wilcox?
Old 12-06-2013, 07:59 AM   #142
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
I would be beyond excited if I were a Washington fan.

Yep. Happy for Lathum, dawgfan, etc.
Old 12-06-2013, 08:03 AM   #143
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Wilcox?

Supposedly he is going to USC with Sark. I would be surprised to see him take a job like that. I think he stay on at USC, has some success and gets a better job down the road. Plus I hear USC is paying him a lot, so it wouldn't be about the money.
Old 12-06-2013, 08:38 AM   #144
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

Would still like to see Wilcox and Tosh stay if at all possible. Then this would really be the best case scenario. I was looking but haven't seen anything about Wilcox to USC. They already have Pendergast and would have to buy him out as well as the 1m buyout on Wilcox.
HeavyReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 08:47 AM   #145
MrBug708
Head Coach

UW def. upgraded
Old 12-06-2013, 08:57 AM   #146
cartman
Death Herald

Pete Kwiatkowski might get the reins at Boise State. He has been on the staff since their move to Div. 1A/FBS.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:07 AM   #147
MrBug708
Head Coach

Bryan Hairstan of Arkie State probably gets call first
Old 12-06-2013, 09:16 AM   #148
BYU 14
Coordinator

Great pick up for UW and one of the few big time schools that is a good fit for Peterson's personality and values.

Not often you lose a good young coach like Sark and actually upgrade.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 09:25 AM   #149
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Bryan Hairstan of Arkie State probably gets call first

Read on Twitter that he has a $1MM buyout.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:40 AM   #150
molson
General Manager

One of my favorite things about college football off-seasons has been when fan-bases of big schools and their "inside sources" have reported that Petersen to their school was "a done deal" or "all but certain". It happened 2 or 3 times a year. So I'll definitely miss that. Washington makes a lot of sense though. One of the main reasons is I think that they might actually have realistic expectations. Petersen could have gone a lot places where he'd have to win 10 or 11 games a year or be considered a failure, and there'd be a better than 50/60 chance he'd be out looking for a lower-tiered job in 5 years or so. I think he'll have just a little more leeway in Washington, where they will probably value what he brings to the table beyond winning more than a lot of bigger schools would.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote