Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-13-2013, 09:08 AM   #101
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

On that whole 5-SEC-players-took cash story ... this tweet from Vols DL Maurice Couch (already suspended by the team pending investigation)

Old 09-13-2013, 09:48 AM   #102
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
Part of the OSU thing is drug dealers on the football team?? Isn't that fairly common? I mean at my little dinky D3 school I'd often go buy a 20 bag in the weight room from the backup running back with coaches standing right there.

Yeah, that was part of it. I think the really strange thing about the story is that there are allegations that "drugs were everywhere" and "getting A's for free" yet most of the players mentioned in the story were kicked off the team for drug tests or grades.

I guess I just expected more. I expected a 10 month investigation would have a metric ton of evidence and there would be major bombshells. And I get this? I mean seriously, this is what SI came up with?

There are a lot of people making claims that the reporter hates OSU and has shown his disdain for them in the past. I wonder why they even go there? The credibility of the reporting is right there for all the world to see.

What is even more amazing is how on ESPN they have a headline that "drugs were everywhere" at OSU and the article about the questions in the story is buried. SI has two more parts of the story to come out and I think one of them involves the allegations recruits had sex with the hostesses. (big bombshell there)
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:11 AM   #103
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Wonder how much Texas paid for the story. Or was it Oklahoma?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:51 AM   #104
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Wonder how much Texas paid for the story. Or was it Oklahoma?

SI

Well, duh. Of course it was DeLoss Dodds and his mouthpiece Chip Brown feeding them the info. Too bad MBBF is now 100% SEC, otherwise he'd be all over this.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 11:46 AM   #105
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

The writer graduated from OU didnt he?

BTW let me re-cap and see if I got this right?

1- College players took small sums of cash (100-500) for big plays
2- Some college players had some fan noy student and professors either do work for them or flat out give them grades they didnt earn
3- Come college football players did drugs and a few even sold some drugs
4- Some young females had sex with young males just because they were football players

Is that the jist of it?
Really?
I guess I am just waiting for the punch line here. The above happens AT EVERY SINGLE SCHOOL IN AMERICA (INCLUDING IVY LEAGUE) THAT HAS A SPORTS PROGRAM. And for that matter at every high school as well.

Shit my sons middle school team gets quarters for big hits...
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 12:01 PM   #106
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
The writer graduated from OU didnt he?

BTW let me re-cap and see if I got this right?

1- College players took small sums of cash (100-500) for big plays
2- Some college players had some fan noy student and professors either do work for them or flat out give them grades they didnt earn
3- Come college football players did drugs and a few even sold some drugs
4- Some young females had sex with young males just because they were football players

Is that the jist of it?
Really?
I guess I am just waiting for the punch line here. The above happens AT EVERY SINGLE SCHOOL IN AMERICA (INCLUDING IVY LEAGUE) THAT HAS A SPORTS PROGRAM. And for that matter at every high school as well.

Shit my sons middle school team gets quarters for big hits...

If it makes you feel any better, this won't get as much public or FOFC scorn as Manziel selling some autographs.

Last edited by molson : 09-13-2013 at 12:02 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 12:11 PM   #107
Kodos
Resident Alien

Looks like IU is breaking out the Chrome Domes for BGSU tomorrow.

Last edited by Kodos : 09-13-2013 at 12:12 PM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 12:13 PM   #108
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
If it makes you feel any better, this won't get as much public or FOFC scorn as Manziel selling some autographs.

I think Manziel gets scorn because he acts like the rules don't apply to him. And he's generally an ass.
Old 09-13-2013, 12:17 PM   #109
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
I think Manziel gets scorn because he acts like the rules don't apply to him. And he's generally an ass.

Did the OSU players and coaches think the rules applied to them? Do any players at any school where this stuff goes on (which is probably every school)? I do agree with the 2nd part, that the reaction is just going to based on whether the team or player involved is a rival of someone's own favorite team, or if they personally dislike the guy going in (in the case of Manziel).

Last edited by molson : 09-13-2013 at 12:18 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 12:19 PM   #110
Kodos
Resident Alien

FWIW, I do think OSU should be punished. But then I am very much a by the rules kind of guy.
Old 09-13-2013, 12:21 PM   #111
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I think the autograph stuff with Manziel hurts him because he doesnt need the money. It is easy to justify a kid whose family literaly doesn't know where their next meal is coming from taking money
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 01:22 PM   #112
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Did the OSU players and coaches think the rules applied to them? Do any players at any school where this stuff goes on (which is probably every school)? I do agree with the 2nd part, that the reaction is just going to based on whether the team or player involved is a rival of someone's own favorite team, or if they personally dislike the guy going in (in the case of Manziel).

If OSU did this and it can be proven, they should be drilled. Probation, scholarships, bowl games, the works. My problem with this story is the credibility of the people making the accusations is bad. Not only is it bad, but the facts that can be checked out are wrong. Not just "I am a fan of the school and I refuse to believe they can be bad" wrong, but a "5 minute open records search" wrong.

OSU deserves to get in a boatload of hot water if they did this stuff. After ten months, I would expect you could present ONE provable fact.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 09:35 PM   #113
cuervo72
Head Coach

I thought Boise St. had to wear colors that contrasted with their turf. I guess that was either repealed or never actually was a rule?
Old 09-13-2013, 10:29 PM   #114
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Manuel took 5 figures plus I specifically said a few hundred dollars.
Bug difference.

I'll buy some college football players need some cash for clothes or a nice dinner...they don't need $10,000 rims
Old 09-14-2013, 02:17 AM   #115
MrBug708
Head Coach

Who will be the first fan who will step up and say their program is dirty? Everyone elses program is always the dirty one it seem
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 03:55 AM   #116
Kodos
Resident Alien

Indiana's program under Kelvin Sampson was dirty.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 07:14 AM   #117
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Who will be the first fan who will step up and say their program is dirty? Everyone elses program is always the dirty one it seem

Quin Snyder was filthy dirty (said it at the time). Frank Haith has all appearances of being dirty and we aren't even getting the benefits that a dirty coach like Cal brings.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 07:40 AM   #118
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Hostess programs should be banned regardless of whether or not they are instructed or encouraged to have sex with recruits. The whole idea is demeaning and degrading.
Old 09-14-2013, 08:15 AM   #119
tarcone
Coordinator

Iowa going to Iowa State to play the Clowns. Game time is 5 pm and its on Fox1.

This is the Clowns Super Bowl. If Iowa loses, Ferentz could be in serious trouble.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:36 AM   #120
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
The whole idea is demeaning and degrading.

And fairly realistic best I can tell.
Old 09-14-2013, 09:47 AM   #121
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
And fairly realistic best I can tell.

What women want to do individually is fine. What athletic programs do, often paid for with public money, requires much more oversight.
Old 09-14-2013, 10:27 AM   #122
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I remember being at orientation and there was a girl who were throwing herself at a KU football player who even admitted he was a backup. Tho that was just a girl wanting to sleep with someone on the football team, no matter how bad he was or how bad Kansas was at football.

SI

Old 09-14-2013, 10:31 AM   #123
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Apparently the Houston alumni group for Kansas sold out their allotment of tickets for the Rice game and over 300 people are going as part of the alumni tailgate. That's pretty cool: I will be there enjoying networking and crappy football!

SI

Old 09-14-2013, 10:47 AM   #124
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
What women want to do individually is fine. What athletic programs do, often paid for with public money, requires much more oversight.

{shrug} They can kill off the hostess programs for all I care, I was just kinda thinking more along the lines of "where does that end up ranking in terms of items of influence on player commitments".

I know of one case involving a legendary football player where - by several accounts that were close to the situation that I really randomly knew personally - it was likely THE determining factor (the hostess basically ended up getting paid to date him for more than a year).
Old 09-14-2013, 10:50 AM   #125
Thomkal
Head Coach

Coastal Carolina has a big game today-first time in its short history that both teams are ranked. Coastal at #21, Eastern Kentucky at #25. Playing on the road though and after last season when EK played here and beat CCU by 18. Lot of turnover on the EK roster so might have a better chance of beating this time around.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 11:12 AM   #126
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

ECU moves right down the field on VT and goes up 7-0 early.

Btw Jon..all depends on the kid. I've seen kids commit over a girl on a visit, (in several cases the girl wasn't even a hostess just a girl they met and "fell in love with"...) and I've seen very attractive "professionals" paid to throw themselves at a prospect and he never bat an eye. Like so many things in life it comes down to morals and upbringing with a dash of maturity thrown in.
Old 09-14-2013, 11:15 AM   #127
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Oh he'll....VT is still trying this dire t snap to the TE offense. The tight end just over threw a WR probably 6-8' over his head. On a screen pass and there was no pressure..
Next play with pressure the TE over threw his WR by only 4' under pressure so that's improvement right?
Old 09-14-2013, 11:18 AM   #128
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Oh he'll....VT is still trying this dire t snap to the TE offense. The tight end just over threw a WR probably 6-8' over his head. On a screen pass and there was no pressure..
Next play with pressure the TE over threw his WR by only 4' under pressure so that's improvement right?

Kiper probably still thinks that TE is a top 10 pick as a QB.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 11:39 AM   #129
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Up until this drive Michigan's running game was pathetic to say the least. Even now Toussaint has 3.2 yards per carry. All this talk of how bad Michigan was going to blow them out and yet it is 7-3 after one.
Old 09-14-2013, 11:41 AM   #130
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Logan Thomas has just about cost Beamer his job. I've never seen anyone get as many chances as him despite no evidence to support it.

Even on his completions in this game, his WR have had to stop, or turn around to come to the ball.

I'm amazed at how much pub he gets when I'm not sure he woud start the local high school team.
Old 09-14-2013, 11:50 AM   #131
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
Up until this drive Michigan's running game was pathetic to say the least. Even now Toussaint has 3.2 yards per carry. All this talk of how bad Michigan was going to blow them out and yet it is 7-3 after one.

I wish Minnesota were running that well against Western Illinois, their RBs have 8 yards on 7 carries so far.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 11:57 AM   #132
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
I wish Minnesota were running that well against Western Illinois, their RBs have 8 yards on 7 carries so far.

Wait, he's down to 2.1 yards per carry. Green better be getting reps soon.

EDIT: Speak of the devil. First carry 3 yards.

Last edited by Matthean : 09-14-2013 at 11:58 AM.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 12:04 PM   #133
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Michigan drives down to the goal line only to turn the ball over. This is one of those games that gives coaches tons of fuel for the next week to help rip into a team. The only thing worth a damn right now is Michigan's passing game.
Old 09-14-2013, 12:04 PM   #134
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

And Blake Countess.
Old 09-14-2013, 12:10 PM   #135
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Wait, he's down to 2.1 yards per carry. Green better be getting reps soon.

EDIT: Speak of the devil. First carry 3 yards.

How is Greens weight doing ?
I haven't been able to keep up with him but I know that was a concern of a few coaches.

Last edited by CU Tiger : 09-14-2013 at 12:11 PM.
Old 09-14-2013, 12:27 PM   #136
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
How is Greens weight doing ?
I haven't been able to keep up with him but I know that was a concern of a few coaches.

That I don't know. Gardner with his 2nd INT. Akron is legitimately hanging with Michigan. They got near FG range and turned it over. After a Michigan TO, they drove down and missed a FG. With this TO, they are back in Michigan territory again and just missed another FG. This is pretty much a text book example of crapping the bed by a team. 7-3 at half. Gardner is playing well except for the INTs which continue to plague him. Michigan has no running game, still. The defense playing subpar considering Akron can drive on it, and you know, it's freaking Akron. This a team that's a shell of what it played like last week.
Old 09-14-2013, 12:38 PM   #137
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

I did see ESPN has him listed at 220, but lord knows that thing is highly inaccurate.
Old 09-14-2013, 12:56 PM   #138
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

10-7 Akron.
Old 09-14-2013, 12:59 PM   #139
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

We knew that Blake Bell ("The Belldozer") could run the ball, but his passing skills were an unknown. Early 3rd quarter, he's 16 out of 22 for 316 yards, 3 TD's and 0 INT's.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 01:04 PM   #140
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I did see ESPN has him listed at 220, but lord knows that thing is highly inaccurate.

220 would be a good spot for him to stay...I had a high school coahc tell me his weight could creep into the 270 range at times during the summer if they didnt ride him. But others at the school said no he would fluctuate 5-15lbs at most...

If he is dedicated dude is an amazing talent/
Old 09-14-2013, 01:12 PM   #141
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Michigan basically just ran the ball and scored to go back up. I loved Toussaint as a Freshman, but he's never really been the same since. He seemed to have all of the skills besides power. With the OL transition, I think it has really hurt him. With Green, he's more of a power back so he can create yardage. He got bumped up since the #2 back is out, but he still doesn't see much playing time. He's going to get a chance and have a break out game. I'm just not sure if it is this year or not.

Last edited by Matthean : 09-14-2013 at 01:19 PM.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 01:22 PM   #142
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

I think it finally clicked enough for Michigan. 21-10. If Gardner could limit the TOs and Michigan had any resemblance of a running game, this offense would be special. Toussaint has half of his yards in a single carry and he only has 48 yards.
Old 09-14-2013, 01:48 PM   #143
MrBug708
Head Coach

UCLA has put up 35 points in about 18 minutes of gametime
Old 09-14-2013, 01:51 PM   #144
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Spoke too soon. Gardner with a pick 6. Akron goes down and throws an INT in the end zone so it is still 21-17. Akron could easily be winning this game. I have rampaging doubts about Gardner despite his potential. 6 INTs in three games with CMU and Akron involved isn't exactly confidence building. He's got talent, but you can't turn the ball over like this. It will be interesting to see if Hoke plays Morris at all versus UConn.
Old 09-14-2013, 01:52 PM   #145
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
UCLA has put up 35 points in about 18 minutes of gametime

UCLA-Stanford looks like it should be really fun, if last year is any indication. Does UCLA play Oregon this year?
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 01:59 PM   #146
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

24-21 Akron with 4:10 to go. Seriously. Michigan's pass D is not good.
Old 09-14-2013, 02:07 PM   #147
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
UCLA-Stanford looks like it should be really fun, if last year is any indication. Does UCLA play Oregon this year?

They play back to back on the road vs Oregon and Stanford
Old 09-14-2013, 02:07 PM   #148
MrBug708
Head Coach

Michigan really needs to fire RichRod
Old 09-14-2013, 02:09 PM   #149
MrBug708
Head Coach

Myles Jack might be the second best defensive player for UCLA