Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: Tonight - Notre Dame or Alabama
Rooting for Notre Dame 47 45.19%
Rooting for Alabama 29 27.88%
Dislike both teams and/or don't care who wins 23 22.12%
I'm not too keen on tonight's game or college football in general but still clicked on the thread anyway 5 4.81%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-07-2013, 10:21 PM   #101
MrBug708
Head Coach

Should have been a late hit call there too
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:22 PM   #102
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Norte Dame is just uninterested is all.

Well done.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:23 PM   #103
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
So ummmmm, where the hell did this Alabama offense come from?

Well, in fairness, they broke 40 points 7 times this year and were only held under 30 twice. It's not as though they completely lack any weapons at all.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:26 PM   #104
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Well, in fairness, they broke 40 points 7 times this year and were only held under 30 twice. It's not as though they completely lack any weapons at all.

John, we are discussing an SEC team and offense. Fairness is not a part of the discussion
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:28 PM   #105
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
John, we are discussing an SEC team and offense. Fairness is not a part of the discussion

Fair enough
Old 01-07-2013, 10:28 PM   #106
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Hey the first interesting thing just happened: the center just pushed the QB.... and it was the Bama guys that did it and they're winning by 28. Nice!
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:32 PM   #107
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauchow View Post
Hey the first interesting thing just happened: the center just pushed the QB.... and it was the Bama guys that did it and they're winning by 28. Nice!

+1 at least someone is still interested.

I was pretty happy for the center there.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:34 PM   #108
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah, McCarron was throwing a little hissy fit. lol
Old 01-07-2013, 10:41 PM   #109
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

OMG< TURN IT ON< NOTRE DAME IS COMING BACK! 42-28 and they just got another onside kick! Four minutes left!
Old 01-07-2013, 10:51 PM   #110
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

from a friend ...
"The last time the SEC didn't win the national Championship there were no iPhones for me to type this on."
Old 01-07-2013, 10:58 PM   #111
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
OMG< TURN IT ON< NOTRE DAME IS COMING BACK! 42-28 and they just got another onside kick! Four minutes left!

Spam?
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:00 PM   #112
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:

Sorry to say, but you fail at being funny. Try sticking to cocky in your pissing match with Indiana fans.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:23 PM   #113
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

from espn.com

Quote:
Stat of the game... Alabama drives: The longest drive against Notre Dame's defense in the regular season was 75 yards. On Monday, Alabama had drives of 82, 80, 97 and 86 yards.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:31 PM   #114
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

It took until the Georgia game for the play calling to sync up with the idea that nobody in country could stop their running game. The A&M game would have been far more interesting if they had done that from the start. Also, 'Bama tends to get bored after they go up 21-0 versus a team like Oregon trying to score 70.

Last edited by Matthean : 01-07-2013 at 11:32 PM.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:34 PM   #115
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Obligatory "big boy foosball" post
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:16 AM   #116
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

has the ESPN front page been down since last night for anyone else?
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:35 AM   #117
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
has the ESPN front page been down since last night for anyone else?
Working here.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:49 AM   #118
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Come on, it's not like Alabama didn't crush most of the SEC.
Of course they crushed the dregs. Oregon or Stanford (and possibly even Notre Dame) would have handled Mizzou/Tennesee/Mississippi State/Auburn/Arky fairly easily, too. Better teams beat mediocre or worse teams badly in college football. There's a significant talent gap. Duh. But the fact remains that three SEC teams gave Bama everything they could handle and the so-called best the rest of the country could muster looked like they didn't even belong on the field with them. Oregon probably gives Bama a better game than ND, and possibly Stanford, but you'd be hard-pressed to come up with any others who'd play them better/closer than LSU, TA&M, and UGA did this year.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 01-08-2013 at 05:50 AM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:54 AM   #119
Kodos
Resident Alien

OSU, maybe.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:52 AM   #120
Butter
Coordinator

Anybody running a legitimate spread offense would've had a better game than Notre Dame played. ND's "defense" was a joke, so 'Bama probably puts up 28-49 no matter who they're playing, but it's stopping the opponent that was made so ridiculously easy last night.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:53 AM   #121
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Oh look. Bama just scored again.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:37 AM   #122
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Anybody running a legitimate spread offense would've had a better game than Notre Dame played. ND's "defense" was a joke, so 'Bama probably puts up 28-49 no matter who they're playing, but it's stopping the opponent that was made so ridiculously easy last night.

I would have liked to have seen an A&M rematch personally. I'm thankful to Alabama for keeping old sportswriters from jerking off over Notre Dame for the next 10 years.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:54 AM   #123
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
OSU, maybe.

OSU is around Michigan level so no. Loved the dig by Meyer saying ND would win. Can't wait for him to get back into the title game and 'Bama to send his butt home with a loss.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:11 AM   #124
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
OSU is around Michigan level so no. Loved the dig by Meyer saying ND would win. Can't wait for him to get back into the title game and 'Bama to send his butt home with a loss.

Judging by the game this year, I'd have to say OSU is above Michigan level.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:27 AM   #125
BYU 14
Coordinator

Gotta love Darnell Dockett 'hitting' on McCarron's girl during the game

Wonder why he put Pumpy's number on there though?
Attached Images
File Type: gif Capture.GIF (10.9 KB, 163 views)

Last edited by BYU 14 : 01-08-2013 at 09:28 AM.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:25 PM   #126
MJ4H
Coordinator

MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:36 PM   #127
Easy Mac

How this

Got this

Is one of life's greatest mysteries.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:53 PM   #128
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
Of course they crushed the dregs. Oregon or Stanford (and possibly even Notre Dame) would have handled Mizzou/Tennesee/Mississippi State/Auburn/Arky fairly easily, too. Better teams beat mediocre or worse teams badly in college football. There's a significant talent gap. Duh. But the fact remains that three SEC teams gave Bama everything they could handle and the so-called best the rest of the country could muster looked like they didn't even belong on the field with them. Oregon probably gives Bama a better game than ND, and possibly Stanford, but you'd be hard-pressed to come up with any others who'd play them better/closer than LSU, TA&M, and UGA did this year.

If you're going to proclaim it's all about the conference, you better not have too many dregs. Their average conference win was 25 points. Their only loss came to a team fielding mostly "Big 12 talent".

The SEC is the best conference in the game, but this wasn't a victory for the conference, it was a victory for Alabama who is superior to everyone, including their SEC brethren.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:02 PM   #129
whomario
Pro Starter

How does McCarron rate as a NFL prospect ? Can´t really judge this, but the couple times i saw him i allways got a kick out of his style of play. The guy moves and throws extremely fluid, if that makes sense.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 01-08-2013 at 02:02 PM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:14 PM   #130
Ben E Lou

Quote:
If you're going to proclaim it's all about the conference...
Where have I claimed that it's "all about the conference?"
Quote:
you better not have too many dregs.
If you want to talk dregs, I'm quite confident that if you matched up the SEC's #9-#12 with {pick your conference} #9-#12 in most seasons, the SEC's bottom teams would come out with a winning record.
Quote:
Their average conference win was 25 points.
Your number there is wrong, and it's one of the dumber metrics I've ever heard of. Clearly Kentucky was a dominant team, because their average conference win was 20 points. *shurg*
Quote:
The SEC is the best conference in the game, but this wasn't a victory for the conference,
And where did I claim that this was a "victory for the conference?"
Quote:
it was a victory for Alabama who is superior to everyone, including their SEC brethren.
No, Alabama wasn't "superior" to the better teams in the SEC, unless you want to use that term very loosely (i.e. "a little bit better when it counted." = "superior") It would be one thing if just one top-tier team got lucky one Sat'day and won or played them closely. Then you could make a fair claim that Bama dominated even the top of the SEC. But that wasn't at all the case. They played three good SEC teams, and went 2-1, with all three games going down to the wire. Only someone blinded by hatred/jealousy/frustration would try to claim that Bama was head and shoulders better than the relevant teams in the SEC.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:24 PM   #131
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Judging by the game this year, I'd have to say OSU is above Michigan level.

But not by a lot. It was close at half. If not for Michigan's insanely conservative playcalling in the second half, it would have been interesting. 'Bama would have blown them out as well.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:52 PM   #132
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Where have I claimed that it's "all about the conference?

Not you, but a lot of people have chalked this up to SEC dominance. It's Alabama dominance. Still the best conference in the country, but not dominant by any means. Alabama is the ones that are the juggernaut and carrying the conference to titles these days.

The 2nd best team in the conference got housed by Louisville. Georgia and South Carolina had tight games against above average Big 10 schools. LSU lost to Clemson. And the team that had one of the most dominant performances was one that is filled with Big 12 talent.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:04 PM   #133
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
But not by a lot. It was close at half. If not for Michigan's insanely conservative playcalling in the second half, it would have been interesting. 'Bama would have blown them out as well.

I imagine we'll know soon enough how Urban Meyer's Buckeyes match up versus the top tier of SEC competition.

"It was close at half?" You know what, so was LSU-Towson.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:11 PM   #134
Ben E Lou

Quote:
The 2nd best team in the conference got housed by Louisville.
Uh, no. The 2nd best team in the conference sleepwalked through a 2-TD win over Nebraska.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:35 PM   #135
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Uh, no. The 2nd best team in the conference sleepwalked through a 2-TD win over Nebraska.

The 2nd best team in the conference beat the crap out of Oklahoma.
The 3rd (or 4th) best team in the conference snoozed past Nebraska.
The 4th (or 3rd) best team in the conference eeked one out over Michigan.
The 5th best team in the conference got beat by Clemson
The 6th best team in the conference got exposed by Louisville.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:43 PM   #136
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I imagine we'll know soon enough how Urban Meyer's Buckeyes match up versus the top tier of SEC competition.

"It was close at half?" You know what, so was LSU-Towson.

At least both Michigan and OSU showed up for that game. LSU obviously sleepwalked through there's. For as many impressive wins OSU had, there were more than enough games to question if they were really the #2-3 team in the country. ND was obviously the #1 team in the country until the title game since they went undefeated up to that point.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:51 PM   #137
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

I like how the rankings of the teams are completely dependent upon how they did in their bowl game. We can ignore Florida going into College Station and beating A&M. Making Johnny Football look mediocre.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:27 PM   #138
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Quote:
I like how the rankings of the teams are completely dependent upon how they did in their bowl game. We can ignore Florida going into College Station and beating A&M. Making Johnny Football look mediocre.

True. A fabulous defense did make a freshman, seeing his first career college football action with about 35% of the playbook being used that day for whatever reason, look mediocre. What do you think an Aggie-Gator rematch would look like next weekend? Aggies by 20? 30?
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:59 PM   #139
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerSimpson98 View Post
Aggies by 20? 30?

They didn't beat Sam Houston State by those numbers, but they'll beat Florida by it? There isn't a bookmaker in the country that would have that line anywhere near 20 points.

And the irony of this is Texas A&M is mainly "Big 12 talent". Unless the SEC patch on the jersey provides superpowers. Funny how they can step out of mediocrity of the Big 12 and become the "2nd best team in the SEC" overnight.

Last edited by RainMaker : 01-08-2013 at 05:02 PM.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:43 PM   #140
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Im not understanding the argument. Seems everyone agrees the SEC is the best conference. How much better is the SEC is that the debate?

Conference Tiers are pretty easy to figure out right now

1.SEC by a good margin
2.Big 12 by a good margin
3. Pac-12/BIG changes from year to year and are ahead of #5 by a decent amount
5. ACC-slim margin over #6
6. Big East

SEC and Big 12 seem to have a large edge over the rest right now but this seems to change every few years. Id expect the BIG to take over the #2 spot in the near future with all of their money and the addition of teams.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:49 PM   #141
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Matchups and Timing is an important aspect that people like to overlook.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:07 PM   #142
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
There isn't a bookmaker in the country that would have that line anywhere near 20 points.

Because bookmakers are looking to drive bets, not predict outcomes.

Florida was smoke & mirrors nearly all season, and faded horribly after catching SC at just the right time. Only one WR, barely a QB, A&M would beat them by roughly however many they wanted at this point.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:47 PM   #143
FBPro
College Starter

Title game was actually SEC Championship game.
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:36 PM   #144
Cap Ologist
College Prospect

Quote:
They didn't beat Sam Houston State by those numbers, but they'll beat Florida by it? There isn't a bookmaker in the country that would have that line anywhere near 20 points.

Only because they called off the dogs in the 2nd half. It was 47-7 entering the 4th quarter, but hey don't let that ruin your point.
Cap Ologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:37 PM   #145
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

Quote:

And the irony of this is Texas A&M is mainly "Big 12 talent". Unless the SEC patch on the jersey provides superpowers. Funny how they can step out of mediocrity of the Big 12 and become the "2nd best team in the SEC" overnight.

It has nothing to do with the patch. Without johnny football they struggle to break even. That is a one man team this year.
Grammaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:59 PM   #146
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
The 2nd best team in the conference beat the crap out of Oklahoma.
The 3rd (or 4th) best team in the conference snoozed past Nebraska.
The 4th (or 3rd) best team in the conference eeked one out over Michigan.
The 5th best team in the conference got beat by Clemson
The 6th best team in the conference got exposed by Louisville.

Jon,
The SEC is the best conference in the country and its nto close...but lets not manipulate facts to make it look better than it is

1 agree
2 agree
3 agree but not that much of a snooze..
4 LSU goes here they beat SC
5 Florida goes here see number 4
6 Got lucky against Mishitagain.

But maybe my chicken haterd is showing...but equal records and all losses coming in conference dont you have to rank in order of who beat who?
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:25 PM   #147
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Jon,
The SEC is the best conference in the country and its nto close...but lets not manipulate facts to make it look better than it is

1 agree
2 agree
3 agree but not that much of a snooze..
4 LSU goes here they beat SC
5 Florida goes here see number 4
6 Got lucky against Mishitagain.

But maybe my chicken haterd is showing...but equal records and all losses coming in conference dont you have to rank in order of who beat who?

re: #3 snooze -- If UGA is the 3rd best team in the SEC then that was a halfassed performance.

re: the rest of it ... and SC handed UGA their ass, much like UF did to SC.

I think -- for the purposes of this particular discussion topic anyway -- you have to look at how the teams were playing at the end of the year moreso than the entirety of the season. And the fact that SC found a way to beat anybody after losing Lattimore carries an enormous amount of weight with me, moreso than a 2 point loss to LSU on the road in particular.

Worth noting too, perhaps, is that the order I listed them is exactly the same as the order they finished in my final top 25 of the year.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:02 PM   #148
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

SC is used to playing without lattimore they had to do it in all 3 of his seasons

Last edited by CU Tiger : 01-08-2013 at 11:11 PM.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:47 AM   #149
Cap Ologist
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grammaticus View Post
It has nothing to do with the patch. Without johnny football they struggle to break even. That is a one man team this year.

That's ridiculous. He was fortunate to have one of the best offensive lines in the country. Their defense played much better this season than in years past. That's the biggest difference between the past 2 seasons, their defense made plays to win games down the stretch instead of wilting. Manziel is definitely a great playmaker, but without him the only difference in their record would be they probably couldn't have beaten Alabama on the road. But they probably would have still won every other game they won.
Cap Ologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:43 AM   #150
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
you have to look at how the teams were playing at the end of the year moreso than the entirety of the season.

So A&M is the true national champion?