Old 10-28-2012, 07:04 AM   #102
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Lets hope for the best
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:49 AM   #103
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

i live in nj so i'm going into work today in anticipation of work being closed monday and/or tuesday.

also, i'm one of those potential morons who hasn't hoarded provisions at all. our neighborhood has underground power lines, so i would think it would take a lot to lose power around here.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:09 AM   #104
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthousekeeper View Post
i live in nj so i'm going into work today in anticipation of work being closed monday and/or tuesday.

also, i'm one of those potential morons who hasn't hoarded provisions at all. our neighborhood has underground power lines, so i would think it would take a lot to lose power around here.

When the overhead main lines leading into your development go down, you will be toast -- or rather not toasting because the power is out.

That's what I have here in Va, underground in our development but the main lines are above ground on the highways leading in. Usually restored quickly, but it does go out for an hour or three.
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:18 AM   #105
Masked
College Starter

Been on the hold with United now for 90 minutes. Their site won't let me do anything online.
Masked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:07 AM   #106
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Weather Channel is in to full panic mode:

Quote:
Flying debris is expected to attack areas from Boston, Mass., to Buffalo, N.Y.

Sentient flying debris!!!!
Old 10-28-2012, 10:08 AM   #107
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Classes already cancelled here through Tuesday at my University and other places

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:17 AM   #108
Ron Mexico
n00b

Fair shot the banks will close-- I have a conference call tonight to see if we'll be working tomorrow. Our area extends from the Trenton area north to Warren County and all the way east to the shore. Going to be an interesting couple days to say the least.
Ron Mexico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:28 AM   #109
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I ordered two pizzas and two two litres of tea. Should arrive in a bit and hold me over, just in case.

Old 10-28-2012, 11:04 AM   #110
Suicane75
Coordinator

I ordered two pizzas as well but that'll only get me through about midday. Luckily we got both our monster trees pruned this summer after having branch after branch fall on the house during last Octobers storm. Still, my whole property is lined with trees and I'm not looking forward to this at all. First time I've ever been legitimately scared by a weather event. The rain isn't gonna bother me cause I'm on a hill. We do have poor drainage but a hill with poor drainage is still a hill. It's the wind that's got the fear in me. The fact that it was a hot summer and we haven't had much rain is a positive.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:30 AM   #111
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

My wife just got the phone call that they are already cancelling school for tomorrow out here.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:39 AM   #112
PilotMan
Head Coach

My flight from Cincy to NY on Monday and my whole Tuesday schedule is cancelled.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:49 AM   #113
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

nothing is closed around here yet... and WMATA doesnt seem to think its gonna be a bad storm. their only info is "when winds get over 35 well slow down".

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:52 AM   #114
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
My flight from Cincy to NY on Monday and my whole Tuesday schedule is cancelled.

Better for that to happen now than be stuck out there
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 12:27 PM   #115
General Mike
Pro Starter

Went to the store this morning and bought water and non-perishables to be on the safe side. Didn't lose power during Floyd, Irene or last Halloween's ice storm, but not taking any chances.
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 01:28 PM   #116
Leroy Veritas
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by claphamsa View Post
nothing is closed around here yet... and WMATA doesnt seem to think its gonna be a bad storm. their only info is "when winds get over 35 well slow down".

Yep. They're always a bit slow. If they, and other local entities, would listen to the Capital Weather Gang instead of TV/radio personality "meteorologists" then we wouldn't have things like Commutageddon last year. With the rain showing up sooner than expected, hopefully they'll rethink their stupidity this once and actually shut down their above ground tracks early.
Leroy Veritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 02:29 PM   #117
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Man, 2 days researach on this new Axe is crazy for Spec Ops 4. I love, it, and I'm happy to unlock Ghost Rider afterwards, he seems like a fun Scrapper to add to my team, but two days!!! I don;t think any of the research from Spec Ops 3 was anywhere close ot that, and that will only make me through Step 16 when its done, still have a bunch more.

Meanwhile I have to save up some CP for buying Daredevil and Gambit, so that I can get the epic boss out on the Hoary Hosts mission. I don;t really want them, but I already have and am heavily playing Hercules and Quicksilver,r and they both rock, so this is the other side of that, I guess.

Old 10-28-2012, 02:30 PM   #118
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Sargent View Post
Man, 2 days researach on this new Axe is crazy for Spec Ops 4. I love, it, and I'm happy to unlock Ghost Rider afterwards, he seems like a fun Scrapper to add to my team, but two days!!! I don;t think any of the research from Spec Ops 3 was anywhere close ot that, and that will only make me through Step 16 when its done, still have a bunch more.

Meanwhile I have to save up some CP for buying Daredevil and Gambit, so that I can get the epic boss out on the Hoary Hosts mission. I don;t really want them, but I already have and am heavily playing Hercules and Quicksilver,r and they both rock, so this is the other side of that, I guess.

I know what you are talking about but I think you posted in the wrong thread

and ADD ME!
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 02:31 PM   #119
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Whoops, sorry, wrong Forum! This was about Marvel: Avengers Assemble, not about anything on FOFC. Sorry Bout that

Old 10-28-2012, 02:33 PM   #120
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Whoops, sorry, wrong Forum! This was about Marvel: Avengers Assemble, not about anything on FOFC. Sorry Bout that

I know, there's like no other FOFCers playing MAA besides myself and Arles (and you now)
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 02:36 PM   #121
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby View Post
I know, there's like no other FOFCers playing MAA besides myself and Arles (and you now)

Well we are all cool then! Not to threadjack too much, but I've been playing for almost a month and love it.

Old 10-28-2012, 02:52 PM   #122
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

It's pouring rain in the Eagles game, but it hasn;t been raining here in KOP, a few miles north, for hours and hours.

Old 10-28-2012, 03:19 PM   #123
General Mike
Pro Starter

I havent seen a drop of rain in central New Jersey yet, but I'm about to take my dog for a walk so I expect that to change.
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 03:57 PM   #124
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

no rain here yet... not looking so good, but no rain.

GIT R DUN!!!
Old 10-28-2012, 04:56 PM   #125
cuervo72
Head Coach

http://www.opm.gov/status/

Fed offices in DC closed tomorrow, unsurprisingly.
Old 10-28-2012, 05:08 PM   #126
Masked
College Starter

Finally got through to United and I'm stuck in Mass through Thursday.
Old 10-28-2012, 05:31 PM   #127
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masked View Post
Finally got through to United and I'm stuck in Mass through Thursday.

Zoinks. Where are you at?
Old 10-28-2012, 05:37 PM   #128
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
http://www.opm.gov/status/

Fed offices in DC closed tomorrow, unsurprisingly.

its funny, becasue its closed to the public.... does that mean we dont have to work? in the end, we are all required to have emergency telework agreements anyways.....

GIT R DUN!!!
Old 10-28-2012, 05:56 PM   #129
Logan
Head Coach

I landed back in NYC from Florida a couple hours ago. I was supposed to be getting in around this time on Monday. On Friday I saw the notice that Delta was waiving fees for flights that would include mine and called immediately to get the last one that would work. I think we were among the last few planes to be let into LGA. It was pretty rough seeing all the stranded people as I celebrated inside.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 06:20 PM   #130
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Maybe... But with my fiancé and a four year old girl, I am not taking chances. We moved our flight up and will leave SF at 6 am tomorrow and be back in Philly by 2:30.

Made it home safely. Now at home readying our place for the storm as much as possible. The flight we were originally supposed to be on tonight has been cancelled due to the effects of the storm.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 06:22 PM   #131
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I landed back in NYC from Florida a couple hours ago. I was supposed to be getting in around this time on Monday. On Friday I saw the notice that Delta was waiving fees for flights that would include mine and called immediately to get the last one that would work. I think we were among the last few planes to be let into LGA. It was pretty rough seeing all the stranded people as I celebrated inside.

I was pissed that USAir would not change ours on Friday. However, on Saturday they made that call to waive fees for our day. As a result, I didn't get to sit with my fiance and her daugher, as there were only 3 tickets left when I made the change. Still, very happy to be home safely.
Old 10-28-2012, 06:23 PM   #132
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Double Dola -

The last hour of our flight was the roughest "major" flight I've ever been on. We hit plenty of turbulence for about 400 miles.
Old 10-28-2012, 07:19 PM   #133
Masked
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Zoinks. Where are you at?

I'm in Hyannis tonight and will probably head back to Boston tomorrow.
Old 10-28-2012, 07:22 PM   #134
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masked View Post
I'm in Hyannis tonight and will probably head back to Boston tomorrow.

Yeah - getting off the Cape would be a good idea.

Well - depending on how things end up shaking out, let me know...maybe I'll pop into Boston...
Old 10-28-2012, 07:27 PM   #135
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Glad everything worked out EF

Old 10-28-2012, 07:28 PM   #136
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

school already canceled here as well (SW NH). most folks around here - myself included - are pretty mellow. We didn't do anything special to prepare.

/last post ever
Old 10-28-2012, 07:42 PM   #137
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

I'm still on disability from work after my back surgery and not able to drive very far, so really the only thing I have to "worry" about is losing power. And even if that happens, my non-end-unit townhouse should stay warm enough. I have water for a few days, if it were to come to that. I'm far enough west that I'll just get some high winds (gusts up to 65?) and 4-7" rain, but not so far west that I'll get the blizzards they're saying will hit the mountains of WV.

I do live about a quarter mile from the Potomac but I'm up on a hill so I don't think there will be anything to fear from flooding for me. The road to my street has POTENTIAL to flood, but I think that's unlikely.

School's are closed here tomorrow. I suspect my job will follow suit, but will wait to the last minute. Then again, my company impromptu changed their written inclement weather policy in the middle of Snowmaggedon, so it wouldn't surprise me if they don't shut down.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 07:52 PM   #138
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Dola,
My dad is worried about our boat, docked in a marina just south of Annapolis. They were saying earlier that the surge in the bay shouldn't be too high (and we're docked in the bay) but even 4' could put our non-floating docks under water.

Definitely wish we were on floating docks.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:36 PM   #139
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Said a prayer for all of the people on the board preparing for Sandy to be safe and dry and en-powered.

Old 10-28-2012, 10:55 PM   #140
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

still barely raining here... that being said, the lights have flickered a couple times.

GIT R DUN!!!
Old 10-28-2012, 11:14 PM   #141
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I was really impressed wthte newscast following the NBC game. About 45 strait minutes of sandy stuff, no duplicate info, no other stories, no breaks for commercials. Nicely done.

Old 10-28-2012, 11:29 PM   #142
tarcone
Coordinator

The weather guy here just said the storm is 1000 miles across. He said it would cover an area from Denver to the Indiana border. Wow.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:53 PM   #143
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Keep safe, guys.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:15 AM   #144
PilotMan
Head Coach

Looks like I'll be in Greensboro tomorrow, and all day Tuesday. Wednesday is still on schedule, but that could change since it's all in and out of LGA.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:40 AM   #145
Leroy Veritas
Banned

A fiercer forecast for Hurricane Sandy’s effects on Washington, D.C. - Capital Weather Gang - The Washington Post

Pressure dropping to its lowest point, storm appears to be strengthening with reports of 90 mph winds at the vortex, the next two days may be worse than expected.

Here's a pic of downtown Norfolk that my niece forwarded to me. This is after the tide went out.

https://twitter.com/MartinMMC/status.../photo/1/large

Last edited by Leroy Veritas : 10-29-2012 at 02:41 AM.
Leroy Veritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:07 AM   #146
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

BREAKING: HMS Bounty Sinks Off N.C. Coast, 2 Crew Missing | WSAV TV

Quote:
The HMS Bounty, a 180-foot, three-mast tall ship, was last marked about 90 miles southeast of Hatteras.

The ship has sunk, according to the Coast Guard at 8:45 a.m. Monday.

Just before 8 a.m., the Facebook page for the HMS Bounty says 14 of the 16 people who had to abandon their ship have been hoisted to safety.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:15 AM   #147
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

So THAT'S where the Klingon Bird of Prey Kirk & company stole wound up.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:18 AM   #148
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It is unclear why the boat set out to sea with Sandy bearing down. Sandy could be the largest storm ever to hit the United States, according to NOAA's website.

That is a good question.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:22 AM   #149
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
That is a good question.

They probably left it too late, but it's my understanding that's common procedure when a bigass storm is bearing down - get out of port and moor yourself in a safer location.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:37 AM   #150
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
So if the Bounty sunk, that means Captain Bligh and the rest in the rowboat are screwed.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is online now   Reply With Quote