Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
All time wins in football list:

1. Michigan
2. Texas
3. Notre Dame

41. Missouri

No wonder you have a pile of rocks in one endzone.
That goes nicely with

BCS Football Programs Net Revenue
1. Texas $65.02 million
6. Notre Dame $38.18 million
40. Missouri $8.46 million

The 2/2 split makes sense, and I wouldn't be surprised if we tried to schedule aTm and/or an additional neutral site game in Texas soon. I think ND is really trying to make a push for visibility in that state amongst recruits, possibly even to the extent we want 1 game a year in it.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 11:28 PM   #102
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
All time wins in football list:

1. Michigan
2. Texas
3. Notre Dame

41. Missouri

No wonder you have a pile of rocks in one endzone.

Texas beats Mizzou in football each year, Mizzou beats Texas in basketball each year. It's a wash I suppose. But it's always good to see someone make a post that proves me right.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 11:51 PM   #103
MrBug708
Head Coach

Texas is 9-4 vs Missouri in the Rick Barnes era, including 4-2 in Columbia, no?
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 12:05 AM   #104
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Texas is 9-4 vs Missouri in the Rick Barnes era, including 4-2 in Columbia, no?

Haven't beat Mizzou since 1/11/2007. It was discussed at length in the basketball thread last season. They'll be hoping to break that string this year in Austin.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 08-06-2010 at 12:07 AM.
Old 08-06-2010, 12:06 AM   #105
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Haven't beat Mizzou since 1/1/2007.

So he's 9-4 right?
Old 08-06-2010, 12:09 AM   #106
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
I think ND is really trying to make a push for visibility in that state amongst recruits, possibly even to the extent we want 1 game a year in it.

The best way to get visibility anywhere is to win games. The rest takes care of itself.
Old 08-06-2010, 12:11 AM   #107
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
So he's 9-4 right?

So they haven't won against Mizzou since 2007, right?

I'm sure you can do better than that. Texas can't beat Mizzou in basketball and Mizzou can't beat Texas in football. I don't think there's anything overly surprising about that point.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 08-06-2010 at 12:14 AM.
Old 08-06-2010, 12:39 AM   #108
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
So they haven't won against Mizzou since 2007, right?

I'm sure you can do better than that. Texas can't beat Mizzou in basketball and Mizzou can't beat Texas in football. I don't think there's anything overly surprising about that point.

Looks like Mack Brown has 9 wins vs Missouri football so it'll take Missouri football 5 more wins in a row to achieve a .500 record vs a team that can't seem to beat Missouri

Last edited by MrBug708 : 08-06-2010 at 12:44 AM.
Old 08-06-2010, 12:45 AM   #109
MrBug708
Head Coach

And in other not so surprising news

Missouri Assistant Head Coach arrested and nary a peep on this board
Old 08-06-2010, 02:07 AM   #110
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
The best way to get visibility anywhere is to win games. The rest takes care of itself.
There's a reason why Big 12 rosters are all stocked with Texas players, Pac-10 rosters with Southern Cali players, and SEC schools with Florida players. And why the Big East was so excited to bring in USF after Miami left, and why the SEC is offering aTm and Texas. Winning is the best way to attract recruits, but it helps to do it on national television or near where they live.
Quote:
Not just arrested for a DUI, arrested for one in the Missouri Athletic Complex parking lot with other coaches and wives. Along with 2 Tigers getting cited and their best player from last season still unsigned heading into training camp. A banner day for Missouri football.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 08-06-2010 at 02:08 AM.
Old 08-06-2010, 08:07 AM   #111
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

Appreciate the continuing interest in Mizzou. It's impressive that someone on the West Coast continues to monitor our program so closely. We're happy to provide a good team for you to watch while your program rebuilds.

Quote:
Not just arrested for a DUI, arrested for one in the Missouri Athletic Complex parking lot with other coaches and wives. Along with 2 Tigers getting cited and their best player from last season still unsigned heading into training camp. A banner day for Missouri football.

We're trying to get on equal footing. Won't be long before we can make arrests disappear like they do in other cities. It's an uphill climb.

I'm not surprised you're unaware, but our best player from last year had four knee injuries during his playing career at Mizzou. He's a hard worker, but NFL teams don't usually like to sign injury-prone players. If he didn't have a history of injuries, he would have been drafted high. But he's had an unfortunate run of injuries that limit him in that regard.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 08-06-2010 at 08:13 AM.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:08 AM   #112
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Appreciate the continuing interest in Mizzou. It's impressive that someone on the West Coast continues to monitor our program so closely. We're happy to provide a good team for you to watch while your program rebuilds.

And yet UCLA has been bowl eligible more years over the past decade then Missouri has. I guess we have different expectations.

As for monitoring, it's like a big circle. You monitor Kansas, everyone else monitors Missouri. I mean, who else is going to share the negative news about Missouri? Certainly not you...
Old 08-06-2010, 10:27 AM   #113
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

But what has UCLA done since 2007?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 10:51 AM   #114
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
But what has UCLA done since 2007?

Like Texas, they have not beaten Missouri!

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 08-06-2010 at 10:52 AM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 10:54 AM   #115
whomario
Pro Starter

“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 05:50 PM   #116
Atocep
Coordinator

So as most probably have heard already, the NCAA made a trip to Morgantown as part of its tour investigating various schools throughout the country.

After several months spent on campus and over 80 interviews the worst they found was the coaching staff went over the practice limit by an hour once, GAs attended film study (not allowed at the time, but it's ok for GAs to do this now), and some assistants were a part of 7 on 7s during the summer.

If that's the worst they could find I'll take it because I'm fairly certain that's a clean program compared to most in D-1. This probably results in 2 hours of lost practice, further limitations on what GAs can do for a year or 2, and a couple years probation.

Of course Dennis Dodd at CBS, who for whatever reason takes shots at WVU whenever he can, has predicted forfeiture of games, TV bans, repaying bowl money, ect for those violations (I'm not kidding). I seriously have no idea why Dodd hates WVU, but his articles are entertaining.

Last edited by Atocep : 08-06-2010 at 05:51 PM.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 05:54 PM   #117
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Bruce Feldman at ESPN.com has a pretty good take on this, essentially saying "this is the best they could come up with after all that investigation?"
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 08:56 PM   #118
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Hawaii vs USC in 4 weeks.
Old 08-06-2010, 08:58 PM   #119
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Dola, even with all the crap USC is going through - Hawaii is young and raw this season. Its gonna be a rough game no doubt. I have a little faith, and I think its probably for the best we catch USC the first game rather than later in the season. Realistically I think Hawaii's season depends on their Offensive line this year. If they step up to the challenge and play well , we will go bowling (Sheraton Hawaii Bowl). If we get hit by injuries and the young guys don't learn well on the job, its gonna be a long season.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:10 PM   #120
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

NCAA may go to letter of inquiry status investigating either the hostess incident at UT, other self-reported secondary violations that occurred under lil' Lane, or potentially other things that haven't been reported yet. Two holdover asst's from last season, plus one that left (Eddie Gran) have been interviewed so far.

Hamilton: Possibility exists of letter of inquiry from NCAA » GoVolsXtra
Old 08-06-2010, 09:39 PM   #121
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
The O-Line is a big question mark for Texas going into the season as well. There are two returning starters, but they are going to play different positions than they did last season. And they'll have to protect Garrett Gilbert, as the only other QB on the roster that had taken an in-game snap left the team today to focus on graduating. The defense should be as strong as ever, even with losing Sergio Kindle and Lamarr Houston to the draft.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 08:18 AM   #122
MacroGuru
Coordinator

And BYU starts camp today...We know the major question marks right now are:

1. Which QB becomes the start?

In spring ball Heaps and Nielsen was ahead of everyone else. Bronco has come out and said in camp it will be a 4 QB race (Heaps, Nielsen, Larks and Munns). He has even gone as far to say he would play 2 QBs in a game until a starter was determined.

2. Who replaces Harvey at Running Back

Kariya was solid against Oklahoma but we have freshman Quezada who supposedly shocked everyone in spring ball. We also have Drew Phillips coming in too...then there is DiLuigi returning. I think we platoon the running backs this year more than we ever have.

3. Our front 7

Fuga returns at NT, Pendleton at LB and So'oto at DE. The rest of the front seven will be either Freshmen or backups from last year. Uona Kavienga was denied the waiver by the NCAA and BYU has appealed...looks like he will still have to sit the year out...he jumped the gun a little early on the transfer.

BYU is picked to take 3rd in the MWC as this is a rebuilding year. We start out against Washington, @AFA, @FSU and Nevada. We could should be 2-2 through that...then our tough road games would be @TCU and @Utah.

We could end the season at 8-4 and which is probably the more realistic record. I would love to see us go 9-3 or even 10-2 and shock everyone.

Last edited by MacroGuru : 08-07-2010 at 09:18 AM.
MacroGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 11:00 PM   #123
DeToxRox
Head Coach

More bad news for Tennessee apparently.

DE Ben Martin and DT Marlon Walls both have ACL injuries and will miss the year, or so I am reading.

Vols DL depth was already hurt, this is just that much worse for them.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 11:33 PM   #124
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

I see that the "indefinite" suspension of USC FB Stanley Havili for punching teammate T.J. Bryant in a recent summer workout lasted all of one day.
Old 08-07-2010, 11:55 PM   #125
MrBug708
Head Coach

It probably was a whole day because his hamstring hurt and wasn't going to participate anyways
Old 08-08-2010, 01:39 PM   #126
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Rumor is Michigan vs Alabma to kick off 2012 @ Jerryworld is going to be official tomorrow. Really excited about this if it comes true.
Old 08-08-2010, 02:00 PM   #128
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiRevival View Post
Should be a fun first quarter but I'll tune out by the time it gets to 46-7 early in the 2nd.

I didn't realize you had that much faith in Michigan!
Old 08-23-2010, 11:40 PM   #129
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

14 of 120 FBS schools make a profit........

NCAA report: Economy cuts into college athletics - ESPN
Old 08-24-2010, 12:49 AM   #130
BishopMVP
Coordinator

And if we want to relate it to football
Quote:
Sixty-eight FBS schools reported turning a profit on football, with a median value of $8.8 million. The 52 FBS schools that lost money on football reported median losses of $2.7 million.

The breakdown for basketball programs at those 120 schools was nearly identical, though the median values for profitable programs ($2.9 million) and money-losing ones ($873,000) were smaller.

The fiscal fortunes of major college athletic programs without football teams were even worse. None of the 97 schools in that category reported making money from athletics, with median losses of more than $2.8 million.

Fulks pointed out that many schools funnel profits from football and men's basketball -- which for the top schools can mean millions in Bowl Championship Series payments and NCAA tournament payments -- into lower-profile sports that can't rely on season ticket plans, TV packages and well-heeled donors.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 08-24-2010 at 12:49 AM.
Old 08-24-2010, 02:08 AM   #131
Atocep
Coordinator

Oregon State Beavers lineman dismissed after arrest for trespassing naked - ESPN

Quote:
CORVALLIS, Ore. -- An Oregon State University offensive lineman has been dismissed from the team after police say they found him naked and intoxicated in a stranger's home and had to use stun guns to take him into custody.

Corvallis police say they received the call about a naked intruder early Sunday.

Responding officers ordered 19-year-old Tyler Patrick Thomas of Kalispell, Mont., to get on the ground, Lt. Tim Brewer said. Thomas refused and instead dropped into a three-point stance like a football player and lunged at the officers, Brewer said. At that point, he said, two officers fired their stun guns.

Brewer said Thomas "absolutely was intoxicated" at the time. Thomas was arrested on suspicion of criminal trespass, criminal mischief and resisting arrest. He was booked into the Benton County jail and later released.

A home phone listing for Thomas couldn't be found.

Oregon State coach Mike Riley dismissed Thomas from the team Monday, OSU athletics spokesman Steve Fenk said. Thomas redshirted during the Beavers' 2009 season.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 02:14 AM   #132
Groundhog
Coordinator

Dropped into the three-point stance and lunged at them. Nice.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:27 AM   #133
BishopMVP
Coordinator

One of the FootballOutsiders guys attempts to rank the top 100 teams of all time using statistics... and you'll never guess what #1 team it shakes out - FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | The Top 100 College Football Teams of the Last 100 Years: Part V
Old 08-24-2010, 10:02 AM   #134
I. J. Reilly
College Prospect

You can give me guys shit for not being able to close the deal and win a Pac-10 title, but you can’t take away the fact that they really know how to deliver the WTF offseason arrest stories.
I. J. Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 10:08 AM   #135
MrBug708
Head Coach

No word on if any gay sheep were involved
Old 08-24-2010, 10:10 AM   #136
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
One of the FootballOutsiders guys attempts to rank the top 100 teams of all time using statistics... and you'll never guess what #1 team it shakes out - FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | The Top 100 College Football Teams of the Last 100 Years: Part V

They have an interesting concept, but it falls apart a bit when they admit that for a large number of the teams from the early days get an 'estimated' S&P+ and compare that against teams that have a true S&P+ rating.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 10:26 AM   #137
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by I. J. Reilly View Post
You can give me guys shit for not being able to close the deal and win a Pac-10 title, but you can’t take away the fact that they really know how to deliver the WTF offseason arrest stories.

It must be crazy to grow up in northwestern Montana. That's just a normal Saturday night up there.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 11:18 AM   #138
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Like coach like player at Missouri. MBBF's coverage of his program is really lacking.

http://www.kansascity.com/2010/08/23...ested-for.html
the_meanstrosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 11:21 AM   #139
I. J. Reilly
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
It must be crazy to grow up in northwestern Montana. That's just a normal Saturday night up there.

Yeah, you have to feel for the guy. It must be quite a culture shock when you hit the big city of Corvallis.
I. J. Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 11:25 AM   #140
MrBug708
Head Coach

He's too busy helping the FBI with the Kansas investigation
Old 08-24-2010, 12:37 PM   #141
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
He's too busy helping the FBI with the Kansas investigation

Yeah, I'm still waiting on that FBI investigation that nobody but MBBF seems to know about, lol.

I do have some MU gold for you though. I'm not sure if I should post it in the forums, but I'll PM you the link.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:41 PM   #142
tarcone
Coordinator

I got 4 tickets to the Iowa/Eastern Illinois game. I havent been to an Iowa football game at Kinnick in about 20 years.
I get to take my wife and kids. They have never been to a college football game.
I am so excited, I can barely contain myself.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 07:58 PM   #143
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
I got 4 tickets to the Iowa/Eastern Illinois game. I havent been to an Iowa football game at Kinnick in about 20 years.
I get to take my wife and kids. They have never been to a college football game.
I am so excited, I can barely contain myself.

College football season is a great time of year. The pageantry, the fans, and everything else just makes it one of my favorite sports to attend.
Old 08-25-2010, 01:07 PM   #144
Ksyrup

I know he's got a book to sell, but this Bobby Bowden "story" is laughable. He was pushed out? Gee, you don't say! 90% of FSU fans wished he had been pushed out a couple of years earlier. You don't want the university to play this as if you agreed to retire? Um, the only reason that was the official story was to save you the embarrassment of the reality of the situation, not because they thought anyone would buy that story straight-up.

Oh, and the ex-head coach is no longer friendly with the former university president? Damn, that's going to cause all sorts of problems for the school - oh wait, this just means one less stamp for the X-Mas card list.

We'll always love you, Bobby, but please drop this crap. It's unbecoming. Perhaps if you hadn't been so loyal to family and long-time friends, you could have left on your terms.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 08-25-2010, 01:10 PM   #145
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Agreed, ksyrup. I felt the loyalty factor and complacency was also what led to Fulmer's demise.
Old 08-25-2010, 01:18 PM   #146
Ksyrup

And as I recall, didn't JoePa agree to a big housecleaning back about 5 or 6 years ago when he was coming off a couple of bad seasons? Seems that bought him some time and goodwill/benefit of the doubt from the fans/school.
Old 08-25-2010, 01:36 PM   #147
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I know in regards to Bowden that I have heard a few times he told people he'd of his volition if FSU ever started losing 4 games.
Old 08-25-2010, 02:38 PM   #148
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

As a long suffering UCLA football fan, it's amazing to me how this stuff just will kick you and keep kicking you, no matter how much you no longer need it.

UCLA has lot not one or two or three, but five potential and past starters to the O-line since last season now, and we're still almost ten days away from the season opener. It's gotten so stupid, it's comical.

T Xavier Sua-Filo leaves on his mission (starting LT and 2009 Freshman AA)
T Nik Abele medical retirement because of neck issues (heir apparent to Sua Filo; was getting rave reviews in practice reports prior to injury)
T Mike Harris suspended for Kansas State (violation of team rules; at least he'll be back, set to start at RT)
C Kai Maiava breaks ankle in fall camp scrimmage (out until late October; starting C last season and a team leader)
G Jeff Baca drops a spring class and unwittingly falls below the NCAA min requirements for credits to complete, making him ineligible this fall (two year starter at G)

Sua-Filo, Maiava and Baca were locks to start if they were on this team and eligible and healthy. Harris would have likely been at RT, but even if he didn't start, his main competition would have probably been Abele. So either way, that's four clear starters and a key backup.

It's nuts how all this crap can happen to one unit. You spread out, a WR here, a LB there, etc., a team adjusts and deals, but you lose that many on one unit, it can be catastrophic.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 08-25-2010, 02:41 PM   #149
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Oh yeah, and Stan Hasiak, a highly recruited G, is academically ineligible, although admittedly, with his issues last year, it's unknown how much he would have been able to contribute this year anyway. Still, yet another body missing from the biggest unit on the team.

Old 08-25-2010, 02:44 PM   #150
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Nevermind - you dola'd about Hasiak before I finished my post.

Seriously, the offensive line is easily the biggest thing that could hold back the Bruins this season. Replacing Price is difficult, but there's a lot of talent returning on the defense and a lot of good young skill players on offense. I'm not 100% sold on Prince, but he's got a lot of skills. But man, that OL - if UCLA falls short of a bowl and finishes in the lower half of the conference, I have no doubt it can mainly be traced back to that.

Last edited by dawgfan : 08-25-2010 at 02:45 PM.