Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-31-2010, 04:23 PM   #101
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klinglerware View Post
The convertible laptop/touchscreen tablet has been around for years. If there was incredible potential in the form factor, everyone would already be toting one around.

As it is, tablets are a niche segment, with a size and form in between a mobile phone and laptop. In the past, the criticism was that tablets were in a weird no-man's land: not as portable as a smartphone yet not as powerful as a laptop. And, the ones that came the closest to getting the functionality/size equation right were not of interest to most consumers because of the high price tag.

Now, if the tablet can be done cheaply (like what was done with the netbook) with the functionality of both a phone and a full-fledged PC, then more people would adopt it.

Totally agree. There probably will be a time in the near future when technology and design merge to make this form usable, but we aren't there yet.

As for the now, I'm not sure why I'd buy this over a netbook/tablet with more capabilities.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc....html#features
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 10:10 PM   #102
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Old 02-05-2010, 07:17 AM   #103
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo View Post
Totally agree. There probably will be a time in the near future when technology and design merge to make this form usable, but we aren't there yet.

As for the now, I'm not sure why I'd buy this over a netbook/tablet with more capabilities.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc....html#features

The ONLY reason you'd buy the iPad is form factor.

I have no idea why people would buy that device, with that form factor, rather than an iPhone or Touch, but Apple is not the only company racing to get a tablet/multi-use reader on the marker.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:03 AM   #104
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari View Post
The ONLY reason you'd buy the iPad is form factor.

I have no idea why people would buy that device, with that form factor, rather than an iPhone or Touch, but Apple is not the only company racing to get a tablet/multi-use reader on the marker.
If Apple were to look at the "Eight Things That Suck About the iPad" list and integrate those features, they might have a winner.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 07:48 AM   #105
Edward64
Head Coach

Here's a nice summary of the iPad. The wi-fi to 3g jump premium is too high imo but looks pretty cool.

The iPad has Arrived - In Pictures: Apple's iPad - Tom's Guide
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 11:08 AM   #106
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

how can people say iPad's or iPhones can multitask when there's no support for multitasking with 3rd party apps? Crippled-multitasking isn't multitasking.
Old 04-02-2010, 11:11 AM   #107
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
how can people say iPad's or iPhones can multitask when there's no support for multitasking with 3rd party apps? Crippled-multitasking isn't multitasking.

Who is saying they can multitask?

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 11:18 AM   #108
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
Who is saying they can multitask?

idk - my father likes to claim that his can. and he's not an idiot when it comes to technology (although in this case he is, and i have told him so).
Old 04-02-2010, 11:25 AM   #109
Daimyo
College Starter

Quote:
idk - my father likes to claim that his can. and he's not an idiot when it comes to technology (although in this case he is, and i have told him so).

Have you used an iphone? It doesn't multi-task, but it handles app switching so well that sometimes its hard to tell that it doesn't multi-task until you try to use something like Pandora.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 11:26 AM   #110
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimyo View Post
Have you used an iphone? It doesn't multi-task, but it handles app switching so well that sometimes its hard to tell that it doesn't multi-task until you try to use something like Pandora.

app switching doesn't = multitasking though.

you can't be logged into facebook while listening to pandora. that's pretty weak, considering i can be on my windows mobile phone.
Old 04-02-2010, 11:38 AM   #111
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Again. This thing isn't a PC. It doesn't need to fulfill all of the requirements of a PC to be successful.

I have an Ipod Touch, and I use it pretty much daily. I think that supersizing my Touch would make for a very useful tool, that I would still use every day. In fact the larger format opens up the things it can do. It is a better browser. It is a better reading platform. It is a better way to view movies, albeit you have to suffer through without HD.

I can use my iPod Touch to vpn into my office network, connect to any VM, desktop, or server, and use them. The iPad makes that work even better and more convenient.

One of the new class of app coming out is a finger painter. You can use the iPad to create publication ready art. The other app I thought would be very appealing to the very crowd of people mocking the iPad is the comic book reader. Yes. Those comic publishers, at least some of them, are embracing the new medium.

The reason that Apple believes a super-sized iPod Touch will be a hit is that the smaller platform is such a winner. After all Bigger is always better.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 11:41 AM   #112
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne View Post
Again. This thing isn't a PC. It doesn't need to fulfill all of the requirements of a PC to be successful.

I have an Ipod Touch, and I use it pretty much daily. I think that supersizing my Touch would make for a very useful tool, that I would still use every day. In fact the larger format opens up the things it can do. It is a better browser. It is a better reading platform. It is a better way to view movies, albeit you have to suffer through without HD.

I can use my iPod Touch to vpn into my office network, connect to any VM, desktop, or server, and use them. The iPad makes that work even better and more convenient.

One of the new class of app coming out is a finger painter. You can use the iPad to create publication ready art. The other app I thought would be very appealing to the very crowd of people mocking the iPad is the comic book reader. Yes. Those comic publishers, at least some of them, are embracing the new medium.

The reason that Apple believes a super-sized iPod Touch will be a hit is that the smaller platform is such a winner. After all Bigger is always better.

multitasking isn't a PC-only task. My Windows Mobile 6 smartphone can multitask...why can't an iPhone? Why should I have to pause the music I'm listening to on Pandora to Tweet about how much I like it?

It's just a stupid design decision.
Old 04-02-2010, 11:46 AM   #113
Daimyo
College Starter

Quote:

you can't be logged into facebook while listening to pandora. that's pretty weak, considering i can be on my windows mobile phone.

True. While I can't argue with that, I can say there has never been a time in the year I've had an iPhone where lack of multi-tasking impacted me at all. I would probably be annoyed if I used Pandora, but I don't.
Old 04-02-2010, 11:47 AM   #114
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
True. While I can't argue with that, I can say there has never been a time in the year I've had an iPhone where lack of multi-tasking impacted me at all. I would probably be annoyed if I used Pandora, but I don't.

fair enough.
Old 04-02-2010, 11:48 AM   #115
Daimyo
College Starter

Quote:

DOLA, and I used Windows Mobile phones for four years before I got my iPhone. Maybe it can do multi-tasking, but there is no comparison in user experience between WM and iPhone. WM is a dying platform for a reason.
Old 04-02-2010, 11:49 AM   #116
Daimyo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne View Post

I doubt there are many people in the world who could tell the difference between 480p and HD at arm's length on a 10" screen.
Old 04-02-2010, 11:50 AM   #117
DanGarion
Coordinator

There is talk that os 4.0 will contain full multitasking.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 12:55 PM   #118
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
DOLA, and I used Windows Mobile phones for four years before I got my iPhone. Maybe it can do multi-tasking, but there is no comparison in user experience between WM and iPhone. WM is a dying platform for a reason.

I have heard that the new Windows Mobile software is pretty good. But my source is Paul Thurrott, so I am sure that opinion is a tad biased.
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 01:11 PM   #119
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

I'm not a huge Apple fan, but I got an iPhone recently and like it a lot. I could definitely see myself purchasing a WiFi iPad when I have some money available.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 01:13 PM   #120
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantom1979 View Post
I have heard that the new Windows Mobile software is pretty good. But my source is Paul Thurrott, so I am sure that opinion is a tad biased.

WM 7.0 looks great from what i've seen
Old 04-02-2010, 01:23 PM   #121
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I doubt there are many people in the world who could tell the difference between 480p and HD at arm's length on a 10" screen.

Sorry. The sarcasm was not well crafted enough. That is actually one of the criticisms I've seen.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 01:31 PM   #122
TroyF
Coordinator

I've really tried to take a second look at the IPad. I have everything a tech geek can have. But I'm just not sold on this. I have a tablet pc that's powerful. I have a Kindle that fills all my reading needs. I can carry both of those in a small bag and use them anywhere I want.

I just don't understand the design decisions that went into this thing either. No usb? No SD slot? No multitasking? I'm sure the people who get one will love them and it'll be a big hit. I do like the concept and feel that one of these alternatives will probably be a better fit for me:

hxxp://mashable.com/2010/01/27/9-upcoming-tablet-alternatives-to-the-apple-ipad/
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 02:04 PM   #123
Daimyo
College Starter

Quote:
WM 7.0 looks great from what i've seen

The problem is that right now they have like 10-15% of the US smartphone market and they're losing nearly 1% every month! They announced WM7, but it doesn't come out until February and they've also announced that WM6 apps won't work on WM7 which means their sales will continue to tank (who wants to buy a WM6 phone when it will be obsolete in 10 months) and they'll lose a year's worth of app development for the platform (who will continue writing WM6 apps?)

I think that is very problematic for them and I don't see much room for them going forward with iPhone, Blackberry, and Android to contend with.
Old 04-02-2010, 10:23 PM   #124
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
There is talk that os 4.0 will contain full multitasking.

I've heard that as well and it would be one of the most logical additions IMO.
Old 04-03-2010, 02:26 PM   #125
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
I've really tried to take a second look at the IPad. I have everything a tech geek can have. But I'm just not sold on this. I have a tablet pc that's powerful. I have a Kindle that fills all my reading needs. I can carry both of those in a small bag and use them anywhere I want.

I just don't understand the design decisions that went into this thing either. No usb? No SD slot? No multitasking? I'm sure the people who get one will love them and it'll be a big hit. I do like the concept and feel that one of these alternatives will probably be a better fit for me:

hxxp://mashable.com/2010/01/27/9-upcoming-tablet-alternatives-to-the-apple-ipad/

Accessories - Camera Connector Kit - In Pictures: Apple's iPad - Tom's Guide

There are two accessories that allow you to plug in your SD card and connect it directly to the ipad or via USB from your camera - but I agree about the USB ports, or lack there of.

I wasn't interested at all, but if I ever did get one, it would be the 64 GB with Wi-Fi and 3G, then I could use it anywhere. I also love all the apps that are already available - would be a great thing to carry around everywhere I go.

Last edited by MizzouRah : 04-03-2010 at 09:22 PM.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 02:27 PM   #126
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
I believe there is an accessory that allows you to plug in your SD card and connect it directly to the ipad - but I agree about the USB ports, or lack there of.

I wasn't interested at all, but if I ever did get one, it would be the 64 GB with Wi-Fi and 3G, then I could use it anywhere. I also love all the apps that are already available - would be a great thing to carry around everywhere I go.

at the price point for that though, isn't a tiny netbook with a wireless 3g card a lot cheaper?
Old 04-03-2010, 02:29 PM   #127
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
at the price point for that though, isn't a tiny netbook with a wireless 3g card a lot cheaper?

Yes, but it isn't as cool.

I wouldn't get one right away.. my wife would kill me.
Old 04-03-2010, 10:15 PM   #128
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

12 Biggest iPad Rivals.. very interesting, although I'm not sure these will put much of a dent into ipad sales.

Tablet Wars: The 12 Biggest iPad Rivals - CNBC
Old 04-03-2010, 10:21 PM   #129
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

There isn't a single logical reason to by this thing.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 10:25 PM   #130
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post

unless you're an apple fanboy. there are alternatives on the market now that are likely cheaper, and have more robust feature sets
Old 04-03-2010, 10:29 PM   #131
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

The price is steep... but...

I sit at my pc for hours surfing the web, would be nice to be able to hit a power button and start surfing from just about anywhere - much easier than firing up my laptop and lugging it around.

Batter lasts 10 hours, lucky to get 2 from my laptop battery.

Could put all my itunes and pictures, email, etc.. on it, tons of apps will be coming soon.

Again... price is crazy, especially for the one I would want Wifi + 3G, but it has its appeal.. for me at least.
Old 04-03-2010, 10:30 PM   #132
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah, it's different from the norm for Apple's electronics though. They were always overpriced, but I still respected the iPone and iPod as devices that drove the industry forward.

This atrocity is going to set things back 5 years or worse. Between the shitty featureless OS and the even more dangerous App store. Christ, imagine if that takes off and becomes the norm. Other manufacturers may follow suit with draconian limits on what you can and cannot install. The bright landscape of tablet PCs may get steered towards the dark ages.

Fuck Apple.

/geek

Last edited by jeff061 : 04-03-2010 at 10:32 PM.
Old 04-03-2010, 10:30 PM   #133
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
unless you're an apple fanboy. there are alternatives on the market now that are likely cheaper, and have more robust feature sets

I'm not an apple fanboy.. have an ipod, that's about it.

I am an internet junkie though..
Old 04-03-2010, 10:31 PM   #134
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
The price is steep... but...

I sit at my pc for hours surfing the web, would be nice to be able to hit a power button and start surfing from just about anywhere - much easier than firing up my laptop and lugging it around.

Batter lasts 10 hours, lucky to get 2 from my laptop battery.

Could put all my itunes and pictures, email, etc.. on it, tons of apps will be coming soon.

Again... price is crazy, especially for the one I would want Wifi + 3G, but it has its appeal.. for me at least.

But you can get all this and far more for less money with any number of other products. While maintaining control over the device you bought.

Old 04-03-2010, 10:34 PM   #135
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yeah, it's different than the norm for Apple's electronics though. They were always overpriced, but I still respected the iPone and iPod as devices that drove the industry forward.

This atrocity is going to set things back 5 years or worse. Between the shitty featureless OS and the even more dangerous App store. Christ, imagine if that takes off and becomes the norm. Other manufacturers may follow suit with draconian limits on what you can and cannot install. The bright landscape of tablet PCs may get steered towards the dark ages.

Fuck Apple.

/geek

Tablet pc's suck, imho... at least the ones I used to work on when we had the HP account. Things were breaking all over the place - which isn't to say the ipad won't either.. but a laptop is fine in a tablets place imo.

The ipad just seems like a neat way to surf the net, get email (yes my bb gets email too) have the kids watch movies in the car, etc...

$827 for the 64GB with 3G is crazy expensive though!!!
Old 04-03-2010, 10:37 PM   #136
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
But you can get all this and far more for less money with any number of other products. While maintaining control over the device you bought.

Which I've started to read up on.

Not sure what you mean by "control" - I love my ipod and the itunes store and don't really care to have another "windows" device to fumble through. I want to fire it up and start surfing - that article I posted does have some neat alternatives though.
Old 04-03-2010, 10:37 PM   #137
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah, tablets over the last 10 years sucked, but with the advent of low power CPUs(Atom) that are still plenty powerful and the success of netbooks, they are posed to really take off.

Couple cool devices in the link you posted earlier. I have some hopes that Google will do it right. The JooJoo looks interesting, but I haven't looked into it beyond that link.

Old 04-03-2010, 10:38 PM   #138
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Which I've started to read up on.

Not sure what you mean by "control" - I love my ipod and the itunes store and don't really care to have another "windows" device to fumble through. I want to fire it up and start surfing - that article I posted does have some neat alternatives though.

Every app in the apple store has to be approved by Apple. If they don't want you to load something, well, you aren't loading it with out cracking the OS.

Last edited by jeff061 : 04-03-2010 at 10:38 PM.
Old 04-03-2010, 10:39 PM   #139
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yeah, tablets over the last 10 years sucked, but with the advent of low power CPUs(Atom) that are still plenty powerful and the success of netbooks, they are posed to really take off.

Couple cool devices in the link you posted earlier. I have some hopes that Google will do it right. The JooJoo looks interesting, but I haven't looked into it beyond that link.

I thought the same thing about the JooJoo.. need to read more on it.
Old 04-03-2010, 10:40 PM   #140
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Every app in the apple store has to be approved by Apple. If they don't want you to load something, well, you aren't loading it with out cracking the OS.

Doesn't bother me.. I've looked at some of the apps and I can imagine over the next few months, they will have hundreds more and anything I could possible ever want.
Old 04-03-2010, 10:40 PM   #141
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I thought the same thing about the JooJoo.. need to read more on it.

Yeah the JooJoo may have all the same faults as the iPad. But a Linux based OS is promising. I'd read up on it now, but it's too late .

Last edited by jeff061 : 04-03-2010 at 10:41 PM.
Old 04-03-2010, 10:42 PM   #142
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yeah the JooJoo may have all the same faults as the iPad. But a Linux based OS is promising. I'd read up on it now, but it's too late .

Connects to the internet in just 9 seconds, very nice!
Old 04-03-2010, 10:45 PM   #143
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Doesn't bother me.. I've looked at some of the apps and I can imagine over the next few months, they will have hundreds more and anything I could possible ever want.

Still a very dangerous precedent I don't want to see set. Imagine if it was proven acceptable that Microsoft could define what applications you could load.

I know there were apps Apple denied I'd want that weren't porn related. But I don't feel like finding specifics(though Google Voice, PDAnet spring to mind, both of which I have on my Droid and both of which had Apple versions created), so lets stick with the porn . If I want an app that shows me naked chicks or whatever I should be able to install it on the device I paid good money for. But Apple won't publish that on their store because of the pornographic content. If it's not in their store you can't install it.

I don't necessarily have a problem with them policing their own store, but it definitely should not be the only way to get an app installed.

Last edited by jeff061 : 04-03-2010 at 10:46 PM.
Old 04-03-2010, 10:49 PM   #144
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Accessories - Camera Connector Kit - In Pictures: Apple's iPad - Tom's Guide

There are two accessories that allow you to plug in your SD card and connect it directly to the ipad or via USB from your camera - but I agree about the USB ports, or lack there of.

So i spend money on a camera accessory, an SD card accessory and now my portable IPad becomes a mess of cables and accessories? If that's the case, why don't I just have a more powerful laptop that has all of the things included? And now the cost jumps up another 50 or 60 bucks (or more) for the simple accessories that do what other competitors do for cheaper out of the box?

I understand what you are saying, but I'll just go to one of the competitors that has the features on my list. I'm sure a bunch of my friends will get this and if they do change the OS, add features and I haven't purchased something else, I'll reconsider at a later date.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 11:03 PM   #145
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Still a very dangerous precedent I don't want to see set. Imagine if it was proven acceptable that Microsoft could define what applications you could load.

I know there were apps Apple denied I'd want that weren't porn related. But I don't feel like finding specifics(though Google Voice, PDAnet spring to mind, both of which I have on my Droid and both of which had Apple versions created), so lets stick with the porn . If I want an app that shows me naked chicks or whatever I should be able to install it on the device I paid good money for. But Apple won't publish that on their store because of the pornographic content. If it's not in their store you can't install it.

I don't necessarily have a problem with them policing their own store, but it definitely should not be the only way to get an app installed.

To each his own, I guess. Sounds more like a conspiracy to me.

I read up on the JooJoo - no apps, only 4GB of storage, 5 hours of battery life and not much more than a web browser at this point - doesn't even play music.
Old 04-03-2010, 11:06 PM   #146
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
So i spend money on a camera accessory, an SD card accessory and now my portable IPad becomes a mess of cables and accessories? If that's the case, why don't I just have a more powerful laptop that has all of the things included? And now the cost jumps up another 50 or 60 bucks (or more) for the simple accessories that do what other competitors do for cheaper out of the box?

I understand what you are saying, but I'll just go to one of the competitors that has the features on my list. I'm sure a bunch of my friends will get this and if they do change the OS, add features and I haven't purchased something else, I'll reconsider at a later date.

Well, either one - I wouldn't see the need for both of them.

I've said this many times, the pricing sucks - I'm fine with $499 if it was the 64 GB model with 3G.

I'm interested to see a competitor that is better though.. the JooJoo isn't it, at least right now - if you do happen to find another product worth researching, please let me know.. I'm all ears.

It's more of a want for me at this point in time - I never buy something that expensive without tons of research - I'll keep reading up on it and hopefully someone I know will have one that I can mess around with for myself.
Old 04-03-2010, 11:23 PM   #147
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
To each his own, I guess. Sounds more like a conspiracy to me.

Not a conspiracy at all, that's fact and a point of contention with the iPhone almost since it's inception. Too be honest, I didn't even know anyone would debate it. Even Apple will tell you that, what they won't tell you are guidelines or reasons for rejected apps.

Google Voice and PDANet could potentially cut into ATT profits, Apple played the good partner and rejected them. Viewing naked people is immoral I guess, so you can't do that either.

I am curious why you think it's conspiracy. Do you think people publish their own apps on the store? Every single app has to be vetted by Apple, Apple kills a large number of them without citing specific reasons. Not debatable.

Last edited by jeff061 : 04-03-2010 at 11:24 PM.
Old 04-03-2010, 11:30 PM   #148
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

iPhone Application Graveyard
Very small sample.

http://techcrunch.com/2009/07/27/app...ly-atts-fault/
Google voice

Last edited by jeff061 : 04-03-2010 at 11:34 PM.
Old 04-04-2010, 06:56 AM   #149
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:

That's what ticks me off with tech reporting. If Microsoft does this with a PDA or a tablet PC or a notebook or a desktop, people scream "monopoly!". Heck, Microsoft gets nailed for putting a browser in the OS, while Apple gets away with bundling video making software with nary a peep.
Old 04-04-2010, 07:10 AM   #150
wade moore
lolzcat

Everyone keeps saying "there are cheaper alternatives that do everything this does and more!"

Can someone provide one concrete example?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote