Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-03-2015, 10:55 AM   #101
djsatu
High School Varsity

Glad I didn't have to pay 100 bucks to watch this. Used to love boxing, but the quality just isn't there anymore. Major props to Manny who clearly outboxed Floyd, and actually wanted to fight. I am reading online at how Floyd was a beast and clearly won the fight. Really?? Boxing is a joke, and this is the end for me as a fan.
djsatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 11:02 AM   #102
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
Ouch. I've seen some great fights on HBO, it will serve me well to just stick to that caliber of boxing. Read: I wont PPV it. I will.PPV MMA from time to time though.

The quality of free boxing is much improved over the last year. The NBC premier boxing series has been great in it's first two efforts, hopefully that trend continues.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 11:19 AM   #103
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
Just talking about it, I had to go watch it again. If you have never seen it, take the 10 minutes to watch, 1st round alone has more action than the 12 we just watched from Vegas.

Thanks, can't remember if I've seen it before, but that was awesome.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 11:52 AM   #104
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

I haven't been able to watch a boxing match with any enthusiasm since Ward/Gatti.

FUCK EA

Last edited by Julio Riddols : 05-06-2015 at 11:58 PM.
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 02:37 PM   #105
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
Thanks, can't remember if I've seen it before, but that was awesome.

I've seen it before, but that never gets old...the level of training and passion to dish out and take that much is what boxing is all about.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 03:32 PM   #106
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Mayweather is throwing all of his belts away on monday. Seems like a shrewd move as that means he won't have to tip out all the sanctioning bodies.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 04:03 PM   #107
bob
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsatu View Post
Major props to Manny who clearly outboxed Floyd, and actually wanted to fight. I am reading online at how Floyd was a beast and clearly won the fight. Really?? Boxing is a joke, and this is the end for me as a fan.

Wait - I didn't see the fight, and I'm not really a boxing fan, but is this a popular opinion? Was the decision at all controversial, because I didn't see that online at all in the articles I read.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 04:40 PM   #108
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
Wait - I didn't see the fight, and I'm not really a boxing fan, but is this a popular opinion? Was the decision at all controversial, because I didn't see that online at all in the articles I read.

Not at all. IMO, the first 6 rounds could have been scored 4-2 Floyd or 3-3 depending on how you scored round 2. The final 6 rounds were totally controlled by Floyd.

And I was rooting against Floyd as hard as anyone else.
Old 05-03-2015, 06:11 PM   #109
MrBug708
Head Coach

Ya, nobody thinks Pacman won the fight or really "outboxed" him unless you want to thrust heavily biased semantics into the conversation
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 06:22 PM   #110
Groundhog
Coordinator

I was rooting against Floyd, but he clearly won the day. Manny connected on a few decent hits, but Mayweather controlled the fight and for a large portion of the fight he was basically toying with him.

Most of the online controversy seems to be because people hate Mayweather, or hate his style of fighting. Manny looked to do more than Mayweather to the eye, but he connected on precious little.
Old 05-03-2015, 07:20 PM   #111
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
_____ looked to do more than Mayweather to the eye, but he connected on precious little.

This is the line that you can substitute every single fighter who has ever fought Mayweather in, and the sentence applies.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 09:00 PM   #112
Groundhog
Coordinator

The top Aussie boxer the past decade or so has a very similar style to Mayweather. It seems to me - someone who only ever watches boxing when it's a big 'Mayweather/Manny' type event - that it's the smartest way to box. Also seems to me a big reason why I find boxing boring most of the time.
Old 05-04-2015, 01:26 PM   #113
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

enjoy

HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 08:29 AM   #114
digamma
Torchbearer

Sort of a fitting ending to this saga that the Nevada boxing commission is more upset about Pacquiao being less than forthcoming about a shoulder injury than it is about Mayweather being less than forthcoming about domestic abuse.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 08:40 AM   #115
Kodos
Resident Alien

It's a sad world we live in.
Old 05-05-2015, 08:41 AM   #116
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
Sort of a fitting ending to this saga that the Nevada boxing commission is more upset about Pacquiao being less than forthcoming about a shoulder injury than it is about Mayweather being less than forthcoming about domestic abuse.

Or about...fighting.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 08:53 AM   #117
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:

A boxer lying about an injury is considered perjury.

When you've got millions of dollars of betting going on, you've got to hope both fighters are in top-top condition. Basically anybody who bet on Mayweather gained an advantage without knowing it.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 08:58 AM   #118
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
A boxer lying about an injury is considered perjury.

When you've got millions of dollars of betting going on, you've got to hope both fighters are in top-top condition. Basically anybody who bet on Mayweather gained an advantage without knowing it.

Oh I know the rationale, and in a vacuum, their questioning Pacquiao would be fine. It's sort of a larger (perhaps state the obvious) point about the entire silliness of their "licensing" commission.

Last edited by digamma : 05-05-2015 at 09:53 AM. Reason: fixed stupid their/there/they're typo
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 08:59 AM   #119
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Oh I know the rationale, and in a vacuum, they're questioning Pacquiao would be fine. It's sort of a larger (perhaps state the obvious) point about the entire silliness of their "licensing" commission.

The silliness includes Pac being denied a painkiller because they never disclosed the injury.

Manny Pacquiao Could Face Legal Trouble For Hiding His Shoulder Injury

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 09:35 AM   #120
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Wholly shit - a torn rotator cuff?!?!?!?!

As someone who recently had one myself and recently repaired, I can tell you that it greatly reduces your power. Also, if your arm went the wrong way at the wrong angle, excruciating pain (although for me, it was being pulled backwards). Straightline punches wouldnt be an issue, but his training had to be compromised by this. Crazy stuff.
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 09:47 AM   #121
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

All that means is Manny conned us all. If it was a real fight he would have pulled out and delayed. But he just wanted his money, chance of winning or real effort be damned.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 11:33 AM   #122
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Mayweather fights are akin to watching the 90s Devils in hockey run the neutral zone trap. It's effective, it wins, but it isn't very exciting to watch. I've been a big boxing fan over the past 30 years, but I think I will stick to the HBO/Showtime/NBC fights until things change. About one out of every 5 fight is worth watching and those odds seem to dip when both fighters know they are leaving with $80+ million win, lose or draw.

Maybe when Floyd finally hangs it up, we can go back to watching fighters in the welterweight class who put on a show (ie, 2000-2007). Although, part of me worries that the money involved will prevent all out wars like we had with Ward-Gatti, Mosely/Vargas and even a younger Pacquiao/Morales. The last interesting fight Floyd had (that didn't involve 80+% defensive fighting) was probably the Hatton fight back in 07.
Old 05-06-2015, 10:21 PM   #123
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
Mayweather fights are akin to watching the 90s Devils in hockey run the neutral zone trap. It's effective, it wins, but it isn't very exciting to watch.

I'll throw in the Jose Mourinho era Chelsea FC in soccer. Brutal to watch, but completely effective, and you can't fault the individual/team. UFC was also in a rough spot a few years ago where basically every weight class was dominated by someone willing to keep defending on 5 round decisions. You could have a card where 3 titles were going to be defended and still know you were in for a stinker.

I know it won't happen, but there should be MAJOR repercussions for anyone involved in this fight who knew he had been injured in training but not properly reported it. This is as close as you can get to straight-up fixing the fight, and I feel really bad for anyone who bet on Pacquiao.

I love how boxing just continues to be it's own worst enemy. It' already perceived as an insanely shady sport where results are pre-determined, and yet they still approach it will all the honesty of a Lucius Sweet fight from the Simpsons.

cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 04:24 PM   #124
molson
General Manager

More than 4.4 million PPV buys and a $72 million gate.

Floyd Mayweather-Manny Pacquiao fight shatters all-time live gate record.

Whether it be wrestling, MMA, or boxing, anytime PPV prices go up, there's always this clamor about how nobody would pay so much to watch one show on TV. But time and time again it's been proven, the more you charge, the more special you make your event seem. Hell, the WWE almost single-handedly got out of financial trouble in the mid-90s by doing one thing - doubling the PPV price. It increased the status of those events. I think you see the same phenomenon in live sports event tickets. When ticket prices went up, interest and gates went up with them. In the 70s you had a lot of half-empty arenas with $6 seats in all the pro sports. Charge $50+ for the same product and suddenly its something people want to do.

Last edited by molson : 05-12-2015 at 04:27 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote