Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-14-2009, 04:11 PM   #101
Bigsmooth
College Prospect

Harbaugh is a great coach. I completely forgot about the Michigan angle. His style seems like a pretty damn good fit in the Big Ten. Hell, I'd like to see him take over for Mora Jr as the Seahawks coach.
Bigsmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 04:13 PM   #102
Atocep
Coordinator

Every time I watch USC play I'm amazed Joe McKnight doesn't get more touches.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 04:21 PM   #103
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsmooth View Post
Harbaugh is a great coach. I completely forgot about the Michigan angle. His style seems like a pretty damn good fit in the Big Ten. Hell, I'd like to see him take over for Mora Jr as the Seahawks coach.

Yeah, I really can't say enough about the guy. I see a lot of similarities with his situation and Sarkisian's at U-Dub. It will be interesting to see what Washington turns into.

It's exciting times for the Pac Ten. A lot of teams on the rise.
Old 11-14-2009, 04:26 PM   #104
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauboy1 View Post
That puts the Badgers somewhere between the 10-15 ranking in the BCS. Just barely on the outside looking in.

And what a joke that would be.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 04:32 PM   #105
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Maybe a huge momentum shift. After Chris Galippo causes a fumble, USC attacks with Barkley to Butler for a long TD. 21-14.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 04:32 PM   #106
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Here come the Trojans after the Gerhart fumble. Funny how things tend to even out over the course of a game. Quick TD, great throw by the freshman.

Don't wash your hands, because they're about to get dirty again.
Old 11-14-2009, 04:32 PM   #107
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
Which just goes to show how terrible the Big-12 is this season.

Meh, it's certainly not a terrible conference by any means. There's Texas, OSU, and then there's a lot of teams that could win 8 games overall. There's a lot of similar teams in the middle that can all beat each other on any given day. It may not make for a lot of nationally hyped teams, but there's some good teams throughout.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 11-14-2009 at 04:33 PM.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 04:34 PM   #108
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Meh, it's certainly not a terrible conference by any means. There's Texas, OSU, and then there's a lot of teams that could win 8 games overall. There's a lot of similar teams in the middle that can all beat each other on any given day. It may not make for a lot of nationally hyped teams, but there's some good teams throughout.

Just wait until bowl season. Mark my words. It's a bad year for a good conference.
Old 11-14-2009, 04:56 PM   #109
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

McKnight with a great burst up the middle for an SC TD. Like the announcer said "Don't go anywhere folks, this one's in doubt."

Fun times.
Old 11-14-2009, 04:59 PM   #110
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
And what a joke that would be.

If Miami and USC were to lose... add two more spots for the Badgers. LOL

The NCAA is down this year and I agree it would be bad if the Badgers somehow SNUCK into a BCS bid. I don't think they belong but they aren't as bad as people make them out to be either. They've got some really good players and will be one of the favorites to win the Big 10 next year.. imho

Last edited by mauchow : 11-14-2009 at 05:07 PM.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 05:07 PM   #111
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

USC now down 35-21 early in the 4th. Luck is making some great throws and showing good mobility.
Old 11-14-2009, 05:08 PM   #112
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Dear James Vandenberg:

Your mom's hot.

Thanks.
Old 11-14-2009, 05:11 PM   #113
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
If Miami and USC were to lose... add two more spots for the Badgers. LOL

The NCAA is down this year and I agree it would be bad if the Badgers somehow SNUCK into a BCS bid. I don't think they belong but they aren't as bad as people make them out to be either. They've got some really good players and will be one of the favorites to win the Big 10 next year.. imho

I was just surprised, since I'm hoping Rutgers will get into the Top 25 this week now that we're at 7-2 with the two losses coming against the #5 and #8 teams in the country, but would understand if we didn't make the cut. Just don't see much of a difference between the two programs this year, but not looking for a fight or anything...
Old 11-14-2009, 05:11 PM   #114
Swaggs
Coordinator

Wisky is probably a decent choice for a BCS spot. I think it is has been awhile since they have been, so they would probably travel well. They'd probably have a better shot if the B10 champ was going to the championship game, as I'm sure the Rose Bowl would take them or Penn State (probably Wisky, since PSU was just there).
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 05:14 PM   #115
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
I was just surprised, since I'm hoping Rutgers will get into the Top 25 this week now that we're at 7-2 with the two losses coming against the #5 and #8 teams in the country, but would understand if we didn't make the cut. Just don't see much of a difference between the two programs this year, but not looking for a fight or anything...

Kind of goes back to whether a team should be ranked on its talent (how good they are) or how good their season has been. Rutgers, on talent, is good enough to be in the top 20, but their OOC schedule drags them down. I think they deserve to be ranked this week, though. Probably in the 20-23 range.
Old 11-14-2009, 05:19 PM   #116
Easy Mac

Anyone else watching Florida - Carolina? Cocks down 17-14 with 20 minutes left. I don't think they can win, but they're making it interesting.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 05:22 PM   #117
Logan
Head Coach

Yeah, flipping between that and Iowa-Ohio State (Iowa just tied it with about 2:30 left).

Looking forward to seeing how the SEC officials ensure this Florida victory. They keep getting more and more original!

Last edited by Logan : 11-14-2009 at 05:22 PM.
Old 11-14-2009, 05:24 PM   #118
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Impressive run by Garcia to pick up the fourth down, he looked like a dead duck a few yards behind the line but made a nice move.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 05:25 PM   #119
Logan
Head Coach

Yep, great play.

In other news, USC is getting their shit pushed in by Stanford.
Old 11-14-2009, 05:27 PM   #120
Easy Mac

Quote:
Yeah, flipping between that and Iowa-Ohio State (Iowa just tied it with about 2:30 left).

Looking forward to seeing how the SEC officials ensure this Florida victory. They keep getting more and more original!

To be fair, the refs already gave Carolina a phantom td on the saunders "catch"
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 05:32 PM   #121
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

I can't believe Iowa just let it go into over time like that...pathetic
Old 11-14-2009, 05:32 PM   #122
Logan
Head Coach

Please stop trying to be fair.
Old 11-14-2009, 05:34 PM   #123
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Oh mah gootness. After sitting in a half-empty brand new stadium countless times, I feel so proud of these kids. The job they (along with the coaching staff) have done is just incredible. I am honored to watch them play.
Old 11-14-2009, 05:34 PM   #124
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I knew this game was going to be very difficult, but this is just embarassing. Huge disappointment.
Old 11-14-2009, 05:36 PM   #125
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Presuming Stanford holds on for what would be a landmark victory for their squad, I mean this game just portends how tough the Pac 10 is becoming now.

USC-- perennial BCS contender
Cal-- consistent Top 25 team; springboard for skill talent to pros
Oregon-- Kelly might be better than Belotti?
Arizona-- Stoops now in middle of second straight very strong season
Stanford-- Momentum is getting huge; will probably embarass Notre Dame
UCLA-- Huge recruiting momentum and clearly improving under Neuheisel
UDub-- Sark/Holt recruiting strongly, beat USC and on way up
Oreg St-- Riley still one of the most underrated coaches in country

ASU & Wazzu still need to improve a lot, but even ASU has Dennis Erickson and has looked good at times (particularly on D).

I mean, wow, that's just a gantlet right now for teams to get through--and everyone plays everyone every season.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 11-14-2009 at 05:37 PM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 05:42 PM   #126
Tigercat
College Starter

No doubt that right now the Pac - 10 looks like the deepest, and the best, conference. Will be interesting to see how/if that current depth translates to bowl performances.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 05:43 PM   #127
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Miami scores to make it a 6 point game, but they should be up by 1. North Carolina got a total fucking joke of a TD, where a NC player "fumbles" it forward to a teammate who took it in for the "TD".

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 05:43 PM   #128
Swaggs
Coordinator

Was thinking about ASU the other day. I hated the Erickson hire at the time and it is even worse now that you have added youthful and exciting coaches at Washington, Stanford, Oregon, and UCLA. When you compare him to the other coaches in the Pac 10, Erickson has to look like a dinosaur to high school kids.
Old 11-14-2009, 05:46 PM   #129
Swaggs
Coordinator

Ohio State will be playing in the Rose Bowl.

Is the Pac 10 pretty much decided w/ Oregon or can someone else win it?
Old 11-14-2009, 05:47 PM   #130
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
No doubt that right now the Pac - 10 looks like the deepest, and the best, conference. Will be interesting to see how/if that current depth translates to bowl performances.

It's interesting to try to translate from one to the other. For instance, last year, in most respects, the Pac 10 was considered down and only had five teams bowl eligible. But all five won their bowl games.

Detractors say, "Look, they only had five teams qualify."

Supporters say, "They beat each other up all year, and when the NCAA went to 12 games, they didn't add another cupcake OOC to get bowl eligible like some other conferences but instead made it so they all had to play each other every year."

So was the Pac 10 bad last year or not? Hard to say.

We'll see on this year. I have a feeling they'll do pretty good.

The UCLA-USC game is looking more interesting to me right now.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 11-14-2009, 05:48 PM   #131
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
You can make a case that it's the worst BCS conference.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 05:48 PM   #132
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Ohio State will be playing in the Rose Bowl.

Is the Pac 10 pretty much decided w/ Oregon or can someone else win it?

It's in Oregon's control. They win out and it's theirs. But I think Arizona (of all teams, who called that?) can still overtake them and UO and AZ play next week.

Old 11-14-2009, 05:49 PM   #133
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Yeah, I guess I'm not too surprised -- it is hard to be awesome for a solid decade. It is just that they have kind or reloaded from year-to-year for so long, that it is odd to see them playing in so many close games this year.

If Sanchez would have stayed, as I'm sure most folks expected, they probably have a much different season this year. That gives Barkley a year to develop and ease into the role. Still, it is odd to see their defense like this.
Sanchez would have helped some, but USC's just been run over on defense by Oregon and Stanford - hard to see where Sanchez would have helped. Losing Maulauga, Cushing, Rivers, Matthews there was the harder thing to come back from.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
To be fair, the refs already gave Carolina a phantom td on the saunders "catch"
Eh, I thought it was a defensible call, unlike this one...
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Miami scores to make it a 6 point game, but they should be up by 1. North Carolina got a total fucking joke of a TD, where a NC player "fumbles" it forward to a teammate who took it in for the "TD".
That field judge standing right there who reaches for his flag and then doesn't throw it should never be allowed to work a college game again.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 05:51 PM   #134
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

BTW, as for last year, I would say the Pac 10 was top heavy. ASU was not good. Stanford was still a year away. UCLA was in its first year under Neuheisel recovering from the crapitude of the Dorrell era. UDub was mired in the last year of the TWill administration. And Wazzu was still Wazzu (also first year under its coach).

There was a clear separation between the top and bottom teams. This year just reflects that a lot of those bottom teams have taken strong forward steps in the past year.

Speaking of Wazzu, is their any chance the Boise State coach would take the Wazzu job? They have to do something, and I don't know where they can go now. Unless they try to bring back Price.

Old 11-14-2009, 05:51 PM   #135
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
You can make a case that it's the worst BCS conference.

Sagarian has the B12 and B10 as the 5th and 6th best overall. Pac 10 is pretty solidly in first.

Code:
CONFERENCE CENTRAL MEAN SIMPLE AVERAGE TEAMS 1 PAC-10 (A) = 79.63 78.92 ( 2) 10 2 SOUTHEASTERN (A) = 78.76 79.13 ( 1) 12 3 ATLANTIC COAST (A) = 76.53 76.33 ( 3) 12 4 BIG EAST (A) = 76.08 76.22 ( 4) 8 5 BIG 12 (A) = 74.04 74.66 ( 5) 12 6 BIG TEN (A) = 73.46 73.98 ( 6) 11 7 I-A INDEPENDENTS (A) = 71.98 70.27 ( 7) 3 8 MOUNTAIN WEST (A) = 69.40 69.93 ( 8) 9 9 WESTERN ATHLETIC (A) = 66.75 67.72 ( 9) 9 10 CONFERENCE USA (A) = 64.86 64.36 ( 10) 12 11 MID-AMERICAN (A) = 61.90 61.73 ( 11) 13 12 SUN BELT (A) = 59.14 59.05 ( 12) 9
Old 11-14-2009, 06:00 PM   #136
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Really, really fucking annoying. Miami played very sloppy and deserves to lose, but it just sucks for it to happen like that. I really hope we get an explanation from the ACC on that. The play was fucking reviewed. It was plainly obvious what happened. And they still confirmed it on the field. It's easily among the worst calls I have ever seen in a football game.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 06:00 PM   #137
BishopMVP
Coordinator

I know Florida's probably got it locked up, but as long as it's a 10-point game with 6-7 minutes left can the announcers stop acting like Florida is kneeling down to run out the clock? You'd think Tennessee-Alabama would have chastened them.

And UF misses the FG. Still 24-14.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 06:01 PM   #138
RedKingGold
College Starter

9-2
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 06:03 PM   #139
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Looking closer at the Pac 10 standings, actually come to think of it, Stanford and Oregon State still have a shot, too, if you presume that 2 losses can win the conference. Both Oregon and Arizona have one loss, and they play each other. So if the winner gets a loss elsewhere (and Oregon still has to play rival Oregon State, too, and Arizona plays Cal today), the conference champ could have two in-conference losses. Given that, you would have to say Stanford and Oregon State also still have chances, with two losses in conference so far.

Three or more losses (where USC is now) is pretty much out of the running.

Food for thought. Stanford's big win today gives them a big push in polls and standings and presumeably to the fringe of the BCS rankings. They toss on a possible pasting of Notre Dame and manage to beat rival Cal, then they could easily be in line for a BCS berth. But no matter what they do, they're a long shot for the conference championship, meaning the Rose Bowl berth goes elsewhere (probably to Oregon).

So if the Pac 10 gets two teams into the BCS, that makes for some interesting bowl pairings down the line. Holiday could go USC, Arizona or Oregon State (I assume USC). Sun Bowl would take Arizona if they're available.

I don't think the Alamo Bowl deal starts until next season, so Holiday is still in line to get the Pac 10's #2 (in normal seasons, that is).

Last edited by Chief Rum : 11-14-2009 at 06:03 PM.
Old 11-14-2009, 06:36 PM   #140
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

I am really sad I won't get to watch the TCU/Utah game... wth?
Old 11-14-2009, 06:38 PM   #141
Denial Of Freedom
n00b

Quote:
I am really sad I won't get to watch the TCU/Utah game... wth?

atdhe.net
Denial Of Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 06:42 PM   #142
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Well, I wasgoing to play some PC games, but I Guess I can pass that up for the time being.. maybe I can find a ps3 game to play instead.. but then there some good games actually on cable. My night is too filled....
Old 11-14-2009, 06:48 PM   #143
RainMaker
General Manager

So no one is putting the TCU/Utah game on TV? It's not even on ESPN 360.
Old 11-14-2009, 06:49 PM   #144
Galaril
Pro Starter

I was surprised not only by how the PACten is looking but also the Big East. they four very solid teams in Pit, Cincy, USF,W.Virginia. For whoever said the NCAA was down this year I would disagree and find it interesting to see someone else other than USC vs a Big 12 or SEC team every year.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 06:53 PM   #145
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
I was surprised not only by how the PACten is looking but also the Big East. they four very solid teams in Pit, Cincy, USF,W.Virginia. For whoever said the NCAA was down this year I would disagree and find it interesting to see someone else other than USC vs a Big 12 or SEC team every year.

I think you can certainly put Rutgers in that group, too.
Old 11-14-2009, 06:53 PM   #146
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Will Ohio St play poorly next week against Michigan and will Michigan step up huge and get into a Bowl game?

And yes, I think the NCAA is slightly down this year as far as very good teams go. There are a lot of teams that just aren't that good but are in the top 25. Just one of those years.
Old 11-14-2009, 06:54 PM   #147
Swaggs
Coordinator

It is on CSTV (via the CBS affilliate). I'm not sure how wide-spread CSTV is -- we have it on Comcast in the sports tier.
Old 11-14-2009, 06:56 PM   #148
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Will Ohio St play poorly next week against Michigan and will Michigan step up huge and get into a Bowl game?

And yes, I think the NCAA is slightly down this year as far as very good teams go. There are a lot of teams that just aren't that good but are in the top 25. Just one of those years.

Doubt it. OSU isn't great this year, but the Michigan defense is a far cry from Iowa.
Old 11-14-2009, 06:57 PM   #149
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
It is on CSTV (via the CBS affilliate). I'm not sure how wide-spread CSTV is -- we have it on Comcast in the sports tier.
Sweet, it's not in the HDTV channels but on my plan. Forgot about that.
Old 11-14-2009, 06:58 PM   #150
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Down 14-0 after one quarter, UGA gets right back in the game vs Auburn as Joe Cox suddenly completes three straight passes including a 50 yd TD to Israel Troupe.