Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-09-2009, 12:32 PM   #101
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
So what exactly happened here? I've not really seen much about it in the recaps or paper.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcs...ine_melee.html
Old 11-09-2009, 12:47 PM   #102
Tasan
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
So you're saying that if a RB gets the ball and runs to the 40, but then cuts back to avoid a tackler and gets brought down at the 38 that the ball should be spotted at the 40? Forward progress has to do with a defender moving the ball carrier backwards, correct?

Bingo. The forward progress rule is where the ball is when first contact with an opposing player is made. A player, untouched, can go back and forth, for any reason, all they want and the ball will be down where ever they made stopping contact with a defender. A player in mid air catches the ball at the 20, but flying through the air lands back at the 22. Then the defender hits him and drives him back to the 25. Ball is down at the 22 because the player, unimpeded by a defender, went backwards from the 20 to the 22, but forward progress is ruled at the 22 and not the 25 because that's where the defender first made stopping contact.

Last edited by Tasan : 11-09-2009 at 12:47 PM.
Tasan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 01:00 PM   #103
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

This forward progress rule isnt always called consistently that is what bothers me about it.

For instance RB jumps into a pile gets shoved back 5 yards breaks free and tries to get the corner and loses 3 more yards. A lot of times this will be marked 8 yards back from where forward progress was essentially stopped.

WR catches a pass at the 44 gets popped back to the 41 tries to turn it back upfield loses 3 more yards and the ball gets marked at the 38.

Its just not called correctly.

And I dont want to get started on how bad the officials are at getting the calls correct even after looking at instant replay. I am so sick of the fumble/instant replay rule it makes me want to throw up every time one of them come up.

The ruling on the field is "After reviewing the play the player did fumble the ball however since there is no clear evidence of who recovered the ball, the play stands as called" despite the fact that the defensive player came out of the pile holding the ball in the air. I love this one as well "The play is unable to be challenged because the play was blown dead" The league has no desire to get the plays correct so why dont we just get rid of instant replay and quit wasting everyones time.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 11-09-2009 at 01:05 PM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 01:06 PM   #104
Tasan
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
This forward progress rule isnt always called consistently that is what bothers me about it.

For instance RB jumps into a pile gets shoved back 5 yards breaks free and tries to get the corner and loses 3 more yards. A lot of times this will be marked 8 yards back from where forward progress was essentially stopped.

WR catches a pass at the 44 gets popped back to the 41 tries to turn it back upfield loses 3 more yards and the ball gets marked at the 38.

Its just not called correctly.

Actually both of those are correct. If the offensive player breaks free from initial contact they can attempt to make further progress. If that progress actually goes backwards from there, then they've lost yards, but they will get any further positive yards they get if that's the case as well. Its a risk/reward thing. Think of Barry Sanders all those years, running into the pile, squirting out and going 80 for the TD. If he doesn't get the chance to make further progress (its clear that he still has a chance), then he goes from one of the best RBs of all time to an afterthought on the pile of everyday RBs.
Old 11-09-2009, 01:09 PM   #105
Tasan
College Starter

It all comes down to whether the player makes a second effort or not. If the player tries to separate from the pile to gain more yards, then he's also responsible for any lost. If he's just getting shoved backwards by an overpowering defender, then he gets a spot where ever he stopped going forward. Happens all the time on sacks. You're thinking, good grief, how are we going to get out of that hole, but then the refs put the ball up 4 more yards and you breathe a little easier.

I think this rule is actually called pretty fairly. Now that spot at midfield? That was interesting to say the least, but also very hard to say where all his body parts were and what had touched the ground.
Old 11-09-2009, 01:35 PM   #106
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

I'm a bit behind, but absolutely thrilled that Larry Johnson got cut. That dude has been an absolute cancer on this team. If someone else wants to deal with that soap opera, have at it. He's not worth it. Also very glad that he was cut before he could pass Priest Holmes on the Chiefs all-time list.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 01:43 PM   #107
MikeVic
Head Coach

I think he'll end up on Seattle.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 03:04 PM   #108
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Forward progress is the foremost point of the ball when the voluntary movement of the player is stopped.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 03:25 PM   #109
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

So has ESPN started the Patriots Colts hype machine yet?
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 03:36 PM   #110
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyroofoo View Post

They started it before last night's game began.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 04:30 PM   #111
Tasan
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
Forward progress is the foremost point of the ball when the voluntary movement of the player is stopped.

Thanks for saying that so much more eloquently and in much fewer words than I did ;- )
Old 11-09-2009, 04:31 PM   #112
Tasan
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyroofoo View Post

Isn't it the Sunday night NBC game? I sure did see a ton of ads for it during last night's game.
Old 11-09-2009, 04:33 PM   #113
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post

Did the forward progress rule play any part in the McNabb call (if you saw it)? Certainly the referee referenced forward progress, which I took perhaps to mean that McNabb was marked down prior to the last squirm that would have given him the first down.

People are yelling about the ball being placed short of the spot where McNabb's right elbow visibly touched the ground, but obviously, the refs believed he was down before that (or at least, they couldn't tell for sure on replay if his left elbow touched earlier). Could the refs have decided that McNabb's forward progress stopped prior to where he ended up?

Last edited by molson : 11-09-2009 at 04:44 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 04:43 PM   #114
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I didn't get to see that play. I'll see if I can find it on you tube.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 07:17 PM   #115
Tasan
College Starter

http://www.nfl.com/videos

Last edited by Tasan : 11-09-2009 at 07:17 PM.
Tasan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 08:09 PM   #116
Swaggs
Coordinator

Broncos are doing a good job of wrapping Roethlisberger up, rather than going for the big hit or the strip, so far.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 08:16 PM   #117
Swaggs
Coordinator

Lord Tyrone will probably be buying himself a new car as a reward for that pick 6.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:17 PM   #118
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

I swear he mouthed "This is for stevew" as he crossed the goal line!
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 08:26 PM   #119
stevew
Hall Of Famer

FUCK. Was ordering food and missed Tyrone
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 08:29 PM   #120
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Tank is probably happy. He might not have to rough someone up in jail tonight.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:34 PM   #121
Galaril
Pro Starter

Nice penalty. F$%^ the Skeelers have been holding all night.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 08:35 PM   #122
stevew
Hall Of Famer

So glad Bitch Burger isn't our punter this year. Can't believe he got another job.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:37 PM   #123
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
Nice penalty. F$%^ the Skeelers have been holding all night.
James Harrison is held on every play. Eventually they have to call it.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:57 PM   #124
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
James Harrison is held on every play. Eventually they have to call it.

+1.

Also, anyone else see that first video of Ty Law, like a couple of plays into the Steelers' first or second possession? Law is holding onto the receivers' jersey (Ward maybe?) and one of the commentators is yelling "what a performance by Law! He just got here Friday!"

I'm not arguing whether the receiver was held or not, that was whatever. But the commentator's comment was just stupid. What performance? It was like his first or second defensive assignment all night.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 09:00 PM   #125
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
+1.

Also, anyone else see that first video of Ty Law, like a couple of plays into the Steelers' first or second possession? Law is holding onto the receivers' jersey (Ward maybe?) and one of the commentators is yelling "what a performance by Law! He just got here Friday!"

I'm not arguing whether the receiver was held or not, that was whatever. But the commentator's comment was just stupid. What performance? It was like his first or second defensive assignment all night.

I noticed that because they showed the overhead replay at least twice.

I'm not sure what the exact rule is, but I think the unwritten rule is that you are pretty much allowed to do whatever to the receiver within the first five yards.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:05 PM   #126
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
+1.

That was nothing compared to the Rotheslesberger toe sucking before the game by all 9-10 guys on the pregame show. They actually compared him to Elway LMAO

Last edited by Galaril : 11-09-2009 at 09:05 PM.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:09 PM   #127
Swaggs
Coordinator

This has been one of the best games I have ever seen for tackling. Not very man, if any, offensive players have gotten away from first contact.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:15 PM   #128
Galaril
Pro Starter

Nice! TD
Broncos
Old 11-09-2009, 09:16 PM   #129
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
This has been one of the best games I have ever seen for tackling. Not very man, if any, offensive players have gotten away from first contact.

Well you can always expect the Steelers to show up. They have been well coached for the last 34 years. As an old Oilers fan I have a special place in personal Hell for the Steelers and all their fans anyways.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:13 PM   #130
Galaril
Pro Starter

Wow, I wonder if the Browns will trade Brady to the Broncos. Orton just does not have the arm for the NFL period. If the Broncos don't want to get a real QB then they can trade Marshall and Royal to Tennessee at least we got a QB who has a strong arm not much else but at least better than Orton's limp noodle.

Last edited by Galaril : 11-09-2009 at 10:27 PM.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:17 PM   #131
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Nice to see that the Colts will retain the top scoring defense in the league.
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 10:18 PM   #132
stevew
Hall Of Famer

What a pointless challenge by mcdouche. 13 is nothing at this point. Especially if you lose the time out.

Mendenhall is looking studly tonight.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:19 PM   #133
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Wow, I wonder if the Browns will trade Brady to thew Broncos. orton just does not have the arm for the NFL period. If the Broncos don't want to get a real QB then they can trade Marshall and Royal to Tennessee at least we got a QB who has a strong arm not much else but at least better than Orton's limp noodle.

It's what every bears fan realized long ago. Orton can be a solid NFL QB in a system that utilizes his strengths well, but he's not going to win games with his arm. He lacks arm strength and his accuracy on passes longer than 10 yards is not very good.

I like Kyle, but he needs an offensive coordinator more creative than Ron Turner to have success.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 10:29 PM   #134
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
That was nothing compared to the Rotheslesberger toe sucking before the game by all 9-10 guys on the pregame show. They actually compared him to Elway LMAO

And that's harsh because? Shit, he's on his way to being better than Elway, and is definitely done better than Elway (so far through his short career).
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 10:29 PM   #135
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
It's what every bears fan realized long ago. Orton can be a solid NFL QB in a system that utilizes his strengths well, but he's not going to win games with his arm. He lacks arm strength and his accuracy on passes longer than 10 yards is not very good.

I like Kyle, but he needs an offensive coordinator more creative than Ron Turner to have success.

Pretty much the Broncos offensive play calling is done by McDaniels.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:30 PM   #136
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
And that's harsh because? Shit, he's on his way to being better than Elway, and is definitely done better than Elway (so far through his short career).

Ok. lol
Old 11-09-2009, 10:31 PM   #137
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Pretty much the Broncos offensive play calling is done by McDaniels.

The Bear's OC is Ron Turner and his offensive system is about 10 years behind today's NFL. He'd a be a great fit in Oakland, though.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:33 PM   #138
Atocep
Coordinator

Dola

I think Kyle can do well in Denver with McDaniels, but you have to build a team that supports Kyle. Something that got old in chicago after watching them try to do it with quarterbacks for the past 50 or so years.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:35 PM   #139
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Ok. lol

Dude, take of your rose tinted glasses. Look at the numbers. Through the first 8 seasons or so, Ben's been better than Elway was (or at least equal). Your smiley faces don't change that.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 10:36 PM   #140
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

And let's not forget that Orton doesn't have to be the savior QB. He can be the place holder guy until they can get another QB in there. The added picks give them the freedom to do that.

Old 11-09-2009, 10:38 PM   #141
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Ok. lol

Seriously? It isn't even close. Elway was an average to above-average starting QB for his first 10 seasons and then dramatically elevated his game in his final 6 or 7 years.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:40 PM   #142
stevew
Hall Of Famer

That pick was for SR.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:42 PM   #143
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
That pick was for SR.

Will Tank Carter be able to fly to Honolulu with Lord Tyrone?
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 10:44 PM   #144
Swaggs
Coordinator

Dola... A lot of that is due to the fact that Elway was the only elite (or even very good) skill player on his team until TD and Rod Smith came along, but Roethlisberger, for all his faults, has been pretty good from the beginning. Elway went through some growing pains that Big Ben did not.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:45 PM   #145
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
Dude, take of your rose tinted glasses. Look at the numbers. Through the first 8 seasons or so, Ben's been better than Elway was (or at least equal). Your smiley faces don't change that.

Yep and it isn't even close when you look at the stats. Elway's best season during the same part of his career he had a QB rating of 83.4 and his worst season he had a rating of 54.9. He was in the 70's most of those years. Big Ben's worst season was a 75.4 and his best is a 104.1 which is a mark that Elway never hit. Big Ben has broken 100 twice, Elways has never broken that mark even once. In fact, Big Ben was at 98.6 two of his other years. Elway never even has reached that mark. In Elway's best season, his QB rating was only 93. Big Ben has been more efficient, and he has made big plays in the clutch.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 10:47 PM   #146
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Yep and it isn't even close when you look at the stats. Elway's best season during the same part of his career he had a QB rating of 83.4 and his worst season he had a rating of 54.9. He was in the 70's most of those years. Big Ben's worst season was a 75.4 and his best is a 104.1 which is a mark that Elway never hit. Big Ben has broken 100 twice, Elways has never broken that mark even once. In fact, Big Ben was at 98.6 two of his other years. Elway never even has reached that mark. In Elway's best season, his QB rating was only 93. Big Ben has been more efficient, and he has made big plays in the clutch.

Keep in mind that NFL offenses are much more QB-rating friendly than they were when Elway entered the league.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:48 PM   #147
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post

Definitely no contact on that last TD by Ward. What a move.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 10:49 PM   #148
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Dola -

If you want to look at other stats, Big Ben still comes out ahead. He has thrown for more yards and more TD's in his first 6 years than Elway. Pittsburgh has a great defense, but Big Ben has never had an elite receiver either.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:51 PM   #149
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Dola -

If you want to look at other stats, Big Ben still comes out ahead. He has thrown for more yards and more TD's in his first 6 years than Elway. Pittsburgh has a great defense, but Big Ben has never had an elite receiver either.

Those other stats are what make up QB rating, though. The league has become so efficient in its passing that you really can't compare QBs today to QBs 20 years ago. The only team running a system similar to what we see today was the 49ers.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:53 PM   #150
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Keep in mind that NFL offenses are much more QB-rating friendly than they were when Elway entered the league.

True. But, it is worth at least comparing him to Elway. I think even with that being considered, Big Ben comes out favorably or at least even in the comparison if you look at the early part of both careers. It certainly isn't ridiculous to compare them.