Old 10-29-2009, 08:46 AM   #101
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Thanks for activating me, CW. Excited to try this out, looks fun already

The Pointers are ready to dominate!
Old 10-29-2009, 08:46 AM   #102
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

No, I have no support for it yet. I've tossed around some ideas on how to do it, but I haven't found a solution I like yet. So for the time being, if you wanna track it, you're gonna hafta do it offline.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 08:49 AM   #103
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
No, I have no support for it yet. I've tossed around some ideas on how to do it, but I haven't found a solution I like yet. So for the time being, if you wanna track it, you're gonna hafta do it offline.

Cool - not a problem at all.

Would it be feasible, in the short term, to have some way to extract the roster to a .csv file that has the curr/fut for each bar? Is that something "quick"? Seems not worth it if it takes much time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 08:50 AM   #104
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

I think I had that before, and it shouldn't be a big deal to whip that up again.

May give you an XML file, though.
Old 10-29-2009, 08:56 AM   #105
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
I think I had that before, and it shouldn't be a big deal to whip that up again.

May give you an XML file, though.

I think you did it at my request before ...

XML is fine - anything that excel will open.

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 10-29-2009, 09:43 AM   #106
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

When you run events, are they scheduled at the times you have posted or do you manually run them? Reason I ask: it would be nice to have a spot somewhere on the main page that says what the most recently run task was (so we know for sure if, say, the recruiting task was run and we can check things out)
Old 10-29-2009, 09:50 AM   #107
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

They are automatic, and the first page when you log in shows it on the right.

My goal is to have it completely hands off. Right now, I think there's only one thing I need to manually change, and that's just a date at the end of the season.

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 10-29-2009 at 09:52 AM.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:01 AM   #108
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Ah the MAIN main page, I see it now Thanks!
Old 10-29-2009, 12:55 PM   #109
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

XML Export now available via your players page.
Old 10-29-2009, 01:07 PM   #110
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Is there a way to sort recruits by interest in your school?
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 01:10 PM   #111
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Check the last page. Answer is no, because interest isn't calculated until you actually spend a contact on the recruit.
Old 10-29-2009, 01:16 PM   #112
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

When searching for recruits, the result set returned - does the paging work for this? I noticed when searching for a given position, when I click on the next page, it gives me a different set of positions.
Old 10-29-2009, 01:21 PM   #113
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

That's different. Lemme look.
Old 10-29-2009, 01:23 PM   #114
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Fixed. Screwed it up when I added filter by state.
Old 10-29-2009, 01:41 PM   #115
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
XML Export now available via your players page.

You da man.

Quote:
Old 10-29-2009, 01:42 PM   #116
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
You da man.

Can't I be the woman? I like boobies.
Old 10-29-2009, 02:16 PM   #117
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Alright, I've got a rough system in place for training reports now.

On your players page, the labels on stats will be color coded, based on how much/little training they received on the last update.

Purple: Large drop.
Red: Small drop
Black: Very small/no change.
Green: Small increase.
Blue: Large increase.

Note this won't kick in till the training update runs next tuesday, and it's highly experimental (meaning I may have to adjust the color threshholds).

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 10-29-2009 at 02:17 PM.
Old 10-31-2009, 01:30 PM   #118
Sgran
High School Varsity

How many of the teams are controlled by FOFCers?
Old 11-02-2009, 08:09 AM   #119
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Something I noticed in Chrome - when looking at the forum, the forum box extends way too the right, so much that the info box on the right ends up covering it. Probably just a slight CSS issue.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:13 AM   #120
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Testing on chrome? BAH!
Old 11-02-2009, 08:13 AM   #121
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgran View Post
How many of the teams are controlled by FOFCers?

44/200 presently.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:17 AM   #122
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Testing on chrome? BAH!

I know, I know :-P
Old 11-02-2009, 08:46 AM   #123
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Alright, I've got a rough system in place for training reports now.

On your players page, the labels on stats will be color coded, based on how much/little training they received on the last update.

Purple: Large drop.
Red: Small drop
Black: Very small/no change.
Green: Small increase.
Blue: Large increase.

Note this won't kick in till the training update runs next tuesday, and it's highly experimental (meaning I may have to adjust the color threshholds).

Interested to see this in place. Development is one of those things I'm, as you can tell, trying to get my head around right now.

Quote:
Old 11-02-2009, 09:01 AM   #124
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Team Totals now available on all game recaps.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:02 AM   #125
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

And dear god the Fighting Trout need a win.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:31 AM   #126
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Bookmarks are now back. You may bookmark any team by clicking on a link at a team's detail page. Under national->bookmarks, there's a summary page for each team you have bookmarked, as well as a link for their next game.
Old 11-02-2009, 07:50 PM   #127
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

96 - 55, Palm Desert gets their first win of the season!

(fear my quadrupledola)

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 11-02-2009 at 07:50 PM.
Old 11-02-2009, 07:59 PM   #128
Recoil
High School Varsity

#4 team goes to 4-0.

I'm liking this game, CW.
Recoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 09:28 AM   #129
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

And the almighty Useless Stats Department is back!

National -> Around the League. Adding more rankings right now.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:55 AM   #130
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

I like the color-coding on the training, very nice to see.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:33 AM   #131
wade moore
lolzcat

I'm finding it hard to have any idea to understand why my team isn't preforming like I expect.

I don't know if it's the offense I'm using, the defense I'm using, the players aren't as good as I think, bad dice rolls.

I'm not sure of a solid way to resolve that - but I'm struggling with it right now.

Quote:
Old 11-03-2009, 10:39 AM   #132
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

First...your team isn't as good as you think. In fact, you have the 3rd worst team (by average ratings) in the entire league.

That said, I'm attempting to add more ratings to game summaries, to hopefully indicate which players are doing well, and which aren't.

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 11-03-2009 at 10:45 AM.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:54 AM   #133
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
First...your team isn't as good as you think. In fact, you have the 3rd worst team (by average ratings) in the entire league.

Heh - well.. in that case, I'm pretty happy with our performance! That being said, is there a way that maybe we could get at some of this kind of info in some way? Clearly I didn't have a good way of determining this as I way over-evaluated my team.

Quote:
That said, I'm attempting to add more ratings to game summaries, to hopefully indicate which players are doing well, and which aren't.

Cool. Sometimes I'll post things that are really me just thinking out loud. Maybe others have similar problems, but have concrete ideas on how they could be addressed. When I have concrete ideas, I'll definitely mention them.

I'm really enjoying the game. I think I'm a bit too used to the FOF design where I can fiddle with things in SP to get a "feel" for the game. Here you have to "test" in a live environment, making feedback that much more important.

Quote:
Old 11-03-2009, 10:58 AM   #134
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
Heh - well.. in that case, I'm pretty happy with our performance! That being said, is there a way that maybe we could get at some of this kind of info in some way? Clearly I didn't have a good way of determining this as I way over-evaluated my team.

Only reason I noticed was the fact that you were listed in the useless stats page.

Quote:
Cool. Sometimes I'll post things that are really me just thinking out loud. Maybe others have similar problems, but have concrete ideas on how they could be addressed. When I have concrete ideas, I'll definitely mention them.

I'm really enjoying the game. I think I'm a bit too used to the FOF design where I can fiddle with things in SP to get a "feel" for the game. Here you have to "test" in a live environment, making feedback that much more important.

My biggest problem is how to actually provide enough useful information to be able to tweak their teams. Like any sports game, you get down far enough and it's nothing but a die roll. It's the million and one modifiers based on a whole buttload of stats and settings that are kinda hard to provide feedback on.
Old 11-03-2009, 11:25 AM   #135
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Only reason I noticed was the fact that you were listed in the useless stats page.

Ok - totally missed that. That helps for the outliers for sure

Quote:
My biggest problem is how to actually provide enough useful information to be able to tweak their teams. Like any sports game, you get down far enough and it's nothing but a die roll. It's the million and one modifiers based on a whole buttload of stats and settings that are kinda hard to provide feedback on.

Totally understandable.

Quote:
Old 11-03-2009, 01:25 PM   #136
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Alright, wanna bounce this idea off people. Ratings system for player performance. Two seperate rankings: Offensive & Defensive.

For offensive, a player would get a point per successful offensive attribute check related to attempting anything offensive related (shooting, completing a pass, avoiding turnovers, etc etc). Note, this is NOT for SUCCEEDING at any of these things. This is simply a point for a player putting themselves in the best position TO succeed.

Defensive is the same deal for defensive situations (defending a shot, rebounding, guarding passing lanes, etc etc). Again, this is not necessarily indicating a player accomplished their goal, it is simply an indicator that in that particular instance, the player did as much as they could to impede whoever they were guarding.

Basically, this will somewhat indicate how useful a player was on the floor, independant of their stat line. They could theoretically have piss poor stats and still have a high rating, indicating maybe they just were matched up against a top notch player, or things just didn't go their way. A higher rating would mean they were actively involved in the game and did what they could.

Their total ratings are then extrapolated over an entire 40 minute game (though any player with less than probably 3-5 minutes on the floor I'm not going to rate, the math just makes it goofy), to generate a rough estimate of that player's effectiveness.

Theoretically, this should indicate...
1) Whether or not the player's attributes are suitable for what he was attempting to do on the floor.
2) Whether or not a player who had otherwise piss poor ratings was *really* useless, or just didn't generate the numbers that night. Likewise, it'll indicate a player who had a great night numbers wise, but is likely going to be a one hit wonder.

The only major drawback off the top of my head are the times when a player just isn't involved in a lot of plays. If you're playing a guard oriented offense, for example, the big men are going to have lower offensive ratings just because they are barely involved with the offense.

This sound like something useful to people?

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 11-03-2009 at 01:27 PM.
Old 11-03-2009, 02:15 PM   #137
rjolley
College Starter

If you present this score and the amount of times they could've earned a point, that could be a way to show that they were efficient with their chances. If they got a 9 out of 10, that would be better than an 18 out of 50.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 02:20 PM   #138
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Hmm. Interesting.
Old 11-03-2009, 02:56 PM   #139
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

I like rjolley's suggestion, if that is something you could add in. I think that would make your new numbers a little more beneficial to us.
Old 11-03-2009, 04:14 PM   #140
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Alright, we'll see how this turns out. Offensive & Defensive effeciency ratings will show up for next games.

Testing is indicating for teams around our current skill level, 30-40% is a pretty decent efficiency rating, 10-20 is pretty mediocre bordering on sad. Expect the stud players down the road to get in upwards of 50-60% efficiency once they've trained up. Bear in mind, there's gonna be some fluctuations for every player, but after a few games, you should be able to get a feel for who is helping your team, and who is getting lucky/has a hot hand. Also note, gameday is NOT factored into efficiency in any way.

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 11-03-2009 at 04:17 PM.
Old 11-16-2009, 02:09 PM   #141
wade moore
lolzcat

So umm..

we not only beat the #3 team in the country - we crushed them..

How does THAT work?

Quote:
Old 11-16-2009, 08:10 PM   #142
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Somebody can't defend the low post.
Old 11-16-2009, 08:34 PM   #143
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Somebody can't defend the low post.

EXPOSED!

Quote:
Old 11-16-2009, 09:24 PM   #144
Groundhog
Coordinator

My guys really, really suck.
Old 11-16-2009, 09:29 PM   #145
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Sorry to threadjack but what is this game you speak of? Sounds interesting.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 09:53 PM   #146
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
My guys really, really suck.

Hey Palm Desert now has three, count em, THREE wins.
Old 11-16-2009, 09:57 PM   #147
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Sorry to threadjack but what is this game you speak of? Sounds interesting.

Link's on the first page. Web based college basketball text sim, similarish to Hattrick / Goal Line Blitz, etc.
Old 11-16-2009, 10:17 PM   #148
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Link's on the first page. Web based college basketball text sim, similarish to Hattrick / Goal Line Blitz, etc.

Thanks, just signed up!
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 10:20 PM   #149
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

SCUBA is struggling, so I switched the defense to a 2-3 zone. Hoping to bust out of the slump. I'm also recruiting a PG named "Buddy Sickafoose", because that name is just awesome.
Old 11-16-2009, 10:49 PM   #150
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Hey Palm Desert now has three, count em, THREE wins.

That's 2 more than me.