Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-02-2009, 07:48 PM   #101
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
I think he was referring to internal US politics, not IOC politics.
Yeah. I kind of remember Salt Lake City's bid and thought everyone was pretty stoked about them getting it. If I remember correctly, weren't they criticized for being too patriotic in regards to the games?
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 10:38 PM   #102
tarcone
Coordinator

I bet Mexico City or Havana gets a Summer "Warm" Olympics before a U.S. city does.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 12:33 AM   #103
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

the way people in the media are bitching like "we got screwed" or "WTF...why does Rio get it and Chicago can't" like somehow just because we're American we have more of a right to host it than anyone else - the way they're carrying on and trashing all other cities - makes me glad Chicago didn't win it, and frankly makes me hope that they freeze the US out of hosting until 2030 or so.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 01:05 AM   #104
bhlloy
Coordinator

I agree DT. Especially when everyone was so blah about getting it beforehand, now it's a slap in the face? Hell the majority of Chicagoans didn't want the games a couple of weeks ago. It's not like Chicago is some urban utopia that was so many light years ahead of the other cities that it's a travesty that it didn't win.

When you think that Atlanta was so recent I don't think it's a bad decision to give it to a continent that has never had the games. Especially not one with so many damn hot women.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 01:21 AM   #105
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

yes. i'm hoping to make the trip down there in 2016 and find me some sweet Brazilian babe...lol
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 01:35 AM   #106
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
yes. i'm hoping to make the trip down there in 2016 and find me some sweet Brazilian babe...lol

I think we should start a 'Send DT to Brazil' fund.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 03:37 AM   #107
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Not that I have ever had the desire to go to the summer games but pretending that I did... I would say having the choice between Chicago or Rio for going it would be no contest.... Rio hands down

More power to them.

What is the big deal anyway? When is the last time that a city what hosted actually came out of it with anything but debt anyway?
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 03:31 PM   #108
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
the way people in the media are bitching like "we got screwed" or "WTF...why does Rio get it and Chicago can't" like somehow just because we're American we have more of a right to host it than anyone else - the way they're carrying on and trashing all other cities - makes me glad Chicago didn't win it, and frankly makes me hope that they freeze the US out of hosting until 2030 or so.
I don't think it's about losing to Rio, I think it's about coming in last place to other cities that didn't have bids as good as ours. Most experts believed the Chicago bid was much stronger than Madrid and Tokyo so the vote seems to have some anti-American twist to it. Especially considering that New York got taken out pretty early 4 years ago.

It'll be at least 30 years till a Summer Olympics comes to North America again. That's a long time considering we are the biggest viewers and sponsors of the event. But the IOC has a plan and it seems to be to become less relevant every 4 years (as ratings show).
Old 10-03-2009, 03:33 PM   #109
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Not that I have ever had the desire to go to the summer games but pretending that I did... I would say having the choice between Chicago or Rio for going it would be no contest.... Rio hands down
Out of all the cities bidding, Rio is the worst in terms of tourism. I know the media portrays it as some heaven of beaches and thongs, but it's a crime-ridden shithole for the most part.

I would have loved to have gone to Tokyo for it to see what kind of technology they put behind it. Madrid is also a beautiful city that would have been a great location as well. After Chicago got eliminated, I was rooting for Tokyo because that is a place I'd love to see an Olympics at in person.
Old 10-07-2009, 03:21 PM   #110
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Big shock here.

Rio de Janeiro 2016 Olympic Games officials criticize Tokyo official for comments - ESPN

Quote:
Officials from the Rio de Janeiro bid for the 2016 Olympics on Tuesday criticized Tokyo's governor for making "inappropriate" comments about why his city lost out to Brazil in the IOC vote.

Rio organizers said Shintaro Ishihara violated the International Olympic Committee's rules by blaming Tokyo's loss on internal dealmaking and "invisible dynamics" in comments made Sunday in Japan.

Ishihara said Brazilian President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva, who lobbied the IOC in person in Copenhagen, made "daring promises" to African people and that French President Nicolas Sarkozy promised to support Rio's bid if Brazil bought French-made fighter jets.

"I don't know how relevant these promises were but they seem to be in violation of IOC rules," Ishihara said at news conference Sunday. "This is part of the discomfort I have with the bid process."

In other news....golf and rugby sevens are lobbying to get voted into the 2016 Games after making the cut past a bunch of other sports in a previous meeting including baseball, karate and softball.

Michelle Wie, Suzann Pettersen make their case for golf to be on Olympic program - ESPN

Quote:
Golf and rugby sevens both need a majority vote by the IOC to be included on the program for the 2016 Games. Both camps will make a 20-minute presentation before the vote, and are bringing out some of their biggest stars to help sell their case. Tiger Woods will address the IOC in a videotaped message during golf's presentation.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 03:51 PM   #111
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
In other news....golf and rugby sevens are lobbying to get voted into the 2016 Games after making the cut past a bunch of other sports in a previous meeting including baseball, karate and softball.

baseball?
Old 10-07-2009, 04:16 PM   #112
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari View Post
baseball?

Yes, they kicked it out of the Olympics along with softball (softball missed out by only one vote.) in 2005.

Secret ballot eliminates baseball, softball - Olympics - ESPN

Most think it was a pretty anti-American sentiment, though the IOC used doping and the fact that MLB players don't play in the Olympics like they do in hockey where they shut the whole damn thing down for two weeks as reasons, though it's probably not that at all.

There was a vote in August to add two new sports and a bunch of them fought for the right to get to this point for a full committee vote including baseball, softball, karate, roller sports and squash and golf and rugby sevens got in.

Baseball, softball strike out as IOC considers adding golf - USATODAY.com
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 04:37 PM   #113
RainMaker
General Manager

The baseball and softball thing was as anti-American as it gets. Starting to wonder if as a country we should start pulling away from this Olympic stuff.

I also am getting sick of this lobbying shit. The fact we have to send Oprah, Obama, and all these other athletes out to Copenhagen to lobby for this shit is ridiculous. Now we have to have all the best golfers beg 100 cowards to let them have their sport in the Olympics.

Seems the IOC gets off on the ass-kissing.
Old 10-09-2009, 04:30 PM   #114
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2009...rugby-rio-2016

Men's and Women's Rugby, Men's and Women's Golf make it into the Olympics. I've never actually seen Women's Rugby. Good for them and maybe by 2016 the US can import enough people to possibly qualify.
Old 10-09-2009, 04:59 PM   #115
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2009...rugby-rio-2016

Men's and Women's Rugby, Men's and Women's Golf make it into the Olympics. I've never actually seen Women's Rugby. Good for them and maybe by 2016 the US can import enough people to possibly qualify.

The USA is the defending Olympic champion in rugby!
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 10-09-2009 at 05:00 PM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 05:02 PM   #116
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Seems the IOC gets off on the ass-kissing.

Not sure how far back that goes but best I've ever understood it that's not new by any means.
Old 10-09-2009, 05:06 PM   #117
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Apparently, the US is one of the 12 core teams that get invited to all IRB events based on their performance in the previous years.

IRB Sevens World Series - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If nothing else, the decision today will give Fiji at least two chances to medal with golf and rugby. Vijay might not play in 2016, but his son surely will be old enough to do it.
Old 10-09-2009, 06:15 PM   #118
Galaxy
Coordinator

I've always been curious. What exactly makes up the voting panel for the Olympics?
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 06:18 PM   #119
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
I've always been curious. What exactly makes up the voting panel for the Olympics?

International Olympic Committee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 06:21 PM   #120
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Out of all the cities bidding, Rio is the worst in terms of tourism. I know the media portrays it as some heaven of beaches and thongs, but it's a crime-ridden shithole for the most part.

I would have loved to have gone to Tokyo for it to see what kind of technology they put behind it. Madrid is also a beautiful city that would have been a great location as well. After Chicago got eliminated, I was rooting for Tokyo because that is a place I'd love to see an Olympics at in person.

I'm with you. I would rather a safer, yet just as dynamic, city like Buenos Aires, Argentina (a finalist for the 2004 games) for South America. They really have to tackle the drug problems and beef up its police. However, they did host to 2007 Pan American games, and will help host the 2014 World Cup, so maybe they'll have a good plan in place.

I want to go to Tokyo one day. Looks like a really amazing place.

The upside to Rio is the time zone will allow for good live television.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote