Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-04-2009, 09:59 AM   #101
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
How were people more brutal to her than to Obama or McCain or Clinton or Romney? Hell, it's a blood sport and if you can't take it you'll get tossed aside. McCain probably fucked her over by picking her when she wasn't ready, but life ain't fair. She'd have been much better off going back to AK and keeping a low profile for a year or two instead of trying to get her face in the media so often.

Take out Clinton because I agree. I don't believe McCain or Romney or Obama's kids were cracked on this badly or even at all. They are supposed to be off limits. They weren't with her.
Old 07-04-2009, 10:00 AM   #102
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
She's a proponent of abstinence, but how is it her fault that her daughter chose to fuck someone and get knocked up?

It isn't her fault. It just demonstrates how her philosophy is not the answer. Her own daughter has said that abstinence is unrealistic. In other words, she should stop wasting people's time claiming that is a solution.

Quote:
She was against fruit fly research, and I have absolutely no idea why, but I guarantee it's not because she doesn't want a cure for autism.

It is one thing to want a cure for autism, and it is another thing to be so ignorant about the science that you can't tell what research helps and what does not. She appears to live in a world that doesn't care about facts.

Quote:
It still doesn't excuse the ongoing personal attacks.

What personal attacks? Being made fun of by comedians?

Quote:
I'm done. I don't think I'll make any of you "get it".

Ok.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 10:08 AM   #103
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
I'm fairly certain there's been plenty of people that have turned down the offer to be someone's running mate.

People in this country are assholes, but when you take your politics to a national level and throw your family in front of the camera you'd better be really confident in your ability to not look like a complete dumbass.

The only thing that separates what she's gone through and what a lot of others in politics have gone through is she put her family out there as fair game and paid the price. She also wasn't smart enough to go back to Alaska and make sure her name stays out of the public eye for a couple years before resurfacing as a more polished and better informed politician.

Give me a break. Every politician puts his kids out there when they campaign. The difference is that her kids weren't following her politics but hmm, I don't recall Cheney's or Reagen's homosexual children getting this kind of abuse especially as kids. I don't recall the sluttish alcoholic Bush girls getting this kind of abuse. Now we crack on handicapped kids.

It's hypocrisy at it's highest and 100% unnecessary at this point in time. It's assholish to the extreme and again, an indicator of the tone of the party which pretty much reminds me how assholish the Republicans got when they got a majority that was supposedly permanent.
Old 07-04-2009, 10:15 AM   #104
Axxon
Pro Starter

[quote=Tekneek;2064201]It isn't her fault. It just demonstrates how her philosophy is not the answer. Her own daughter has said that abstinence is unrealistic. In other words, she should stop wasting people's time claiming that is a solution. [quote]

I think I know why you don't realize what's going on.

Quote:
Bristol Palin, daughter of Alaska Governor Sarah Palin, went on "Good Morning America" to launch her new pastime as an ambassador for abstinence.

Anchor Christopher Cuomo pointed out that Palin's own personal history went against her abstinence-only message for teens. (Palin, 18, recently had a baby with former boyfriend Levi Johnston.) She became pregnant after she and Levi failed to use protection (something Johnston admitted on the "Tyra" show.)

Palin was less forthcoming on this issue than her ex. "Regardless of what I did personally, I just think that abstinence is the only way you can effectively, 100% foolproof way you can prevent pregnancy," she responded. Asked how she squared her own experiences with her new campaign, she added, "I'm not quite sure, I just want to go out there and promote abstinence and say, this is the safest choice. This is the choice that's going to prevent teen pregnancy and prevent a lot of heartache."

Palin did say that if she could do it over, "I would have waited, waited to have sex." Later she added, "I think using this experience in my life to help others, I think it's a blessing. ... I'm relatable, I am a teen myself. I'm saying that there's one way to prevent it, and that's not having sex."

Of course, Palin made headlines in February when she declared that abstinence is "not realistic at all." Now she says the quote was "taken out of context. ... I do think it's realistic. It's the harder choice, but it's the safest choice."

A major study published last year found that premarital abstinence pledges among teens were ineffective and often counterproductive -- teens were just as likely to have sex but less likely to use condoms or other forms of birth control.

In a subsequent interview on CBS's Early Show, Levi Johnston called Bristol Palin's abstinence message a "great idea" but "not realistic." Watch video here.

hxxp://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/05/06/bristol-palin-says-abstin_n_197597.html

Quote:
It is one thing to want a cure for autism, and it is another thing to be so ignorant about the science that you can't tell what research helps and what does not. She appears to live in a world that doesn't care about facts.

So abstinence is against science? I never knew that. Better not tell Isaac Newton. Dude invented a lot of shit. I guess he had no handle on science.

Quote:
Was Isaac Newton a virgin?
June 21, 1996

Dear Cecil:

Is it true that Isaac Newton was a virgin?

— Hoping there are other ways to assure scientific greatness, Douglas Leonard, Department of Astronomy, UC Berkeley

— Brought to you by Wiki44 —

Make Solar Panels in 1 Day

Learn how to build inexpensive solar panels and power generators for your own back yard. Save up to 90% on your power bill!
http://www.wiki44.com

Dear Douglas:

Of course he was a virgin. Once upon a time, so was Madonna. What's tragic is that he may have died a virgin. Not that this is all that unusual. You met many electrical engineers? But mathematicians are probably the worst that way. How the math gene perpetuates itself is one of the mysteries of our age.

Admittedly this is an area where it is unwise to make blanket statements. (Sorry.) It's not like they had the guy under constant surveillance. As one of my high school classmates unwisely asked at the lunch table one day, "What, technically, is the definition of a virgin?"

Still, having thus fenced out the boundaries of the knowable, we can say that, with the possible exception of one teenage friendship (there is no sign that it became physical), Isaac Newton apparently formed no romantic attachments during his 84 years of life. Furthermore, he was so straitlaced it seems unlikely he availed himself of, how shall I say, commercial outlets.

The penalty of genius, you are thinking. Not necessarily. Richard Feynman, one of the legendary minds of our time, was quite the bon vivant, and . . . well, I dare not even speak of myself.

Newton, in contrast, was walking proof that one path to immortality, assuming you have the requisite endowment of brains, is to obsess. Ninety percent of what he obsessed about--alchemy, biblical prophecy, and religious disputations were among his lifelong passions--was rubbish. The other ten percent, the stuff he did for laughs, I suppose we might say, took six thousand years of disjointed fumbling and made it into a science. Two sciences, actually, physics and to a large extent mathematics.

Too bad Newton didn't have the benefit of modern management consultants. "Ike," they would say, "if you chucked the alchemy and prophecy thing you could produce all the scientific achievements that will earn you glory and still leave most of the day for wine, women, and song."

Didn't happen, but let's have some respect. One biographer credits him with "discovering gravitation," and where would we be without that?

— Cecil Adams
hxxp://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/957/was-isaac-newton-a-virgin

That unscientific bastard.
Old 07-04-2009, 10:15 AM   #105
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxon View Post
Take out Clinton because I agree. I don't believe McCain or Romney or Obama's kids were cracked on this badly or even at all. They are supposed to be off limits. They weren't with her.

If any of your political views are immediately refuted by something that is happening within your own family, pointing that out is fair. I'm not sure what else was attacked by legitimate media, but I am willing to read about it/look into it if you want to show it to me.

This quote from Todd Purdum sums up Sarah Palin and who she appeals to...

"Palin has shown herself to have remarkable gut instincts about raw politics, and she has seen openings where others did not,” writes Purdum. “And she has the good fortune to have traction within a political party that is bereft of strong leadership, and whose rank and file often demands qualities other than knowledge, experience, and an understanding that facts are, as John Adams said, stubborn things
Old 07-04-2009, 10:20 AM   #106
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Give me a break. Every politician puts his kids out there when they campaign. The difference is that her kids weren't following her politics but hmm, I don't recall Cheney's or Reagen's homosexual children getting this kind of abuse especially as kids. I don't recall the sluttish alcoholic Bush girls getting this kind of abuse. Now we crack on handicapped kids.

What the hell are you talking about? Who cracked on her handicapped kid? Palin mentioned that in her speech, but I've never heard it, not from Democrats, Late Night comedians, or anyone.

And if you don't think the the late night comedians cracked about the Bush twins, you must have not been watching late night TV during that period.

And I don't know why you lumped in homosexual children in with "sluttish, alcoholic" behavior as if somehow that was equivalent, but the only people to attack Cheney's daughter were Republicans, such as Alan Keyes.

Quote:
It's hypocrisy at it's highest and 100% unnecessary at this point in time. It's assholish to the extreme and again, an indicator of the tone of the party which pretty much reminds me how assholish the Republicans got when they got a majority that was supposedly permanent.

So late night comedians = the party?

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 10:21 AM   #107
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
So abstinence is against science? I never knew that. Better not tell Isaac Newton. Dude invented a lot of shit. I guess he had no handle on science.

Did you bump your head on something? The part about autism was separate from the part about abstinence. Since it wasn't clear enough for you the first time, now you know.

The facts out there easily demonstrate that people, of all ages, need to know about more ways to prevent pregnancy than abstinence. Abstinence would be just one of many tools in that area, not the single answer.
Old 07-04-2009, 10:29 AM   #108
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekneek View Post
If any of your political views are immediately refuted by something that is happening within your own family, pointing that out is fair. I'm not sure what else was attacked by legitimate media, but I am willing to read about it/look into it if you want to show it to me.

Found this quickly. NBC is a legitimate media outlet right?

Quote:

WND Exclusive MEDIA MATTERS
NBC jokes: Todd Palin has sex with daughters
'Saturday Night Live' skit suggests Sarah's husband guilty of incest
Posted: September 21, 2008
2:18 am Eastern

By Joe Kovacs
© 2009 WorldNetDaily

Alaska Gov, Sarah Palin and family in 2007

A week after a high-profile send-up of Republican vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin on "Saturday Night Live," the NBC comedy show returned to making fun of the Alaskan governor in a skit where New York Times reporters sought to probe the possibility Palin's husband, Todd, was having sex with the couple's own daughters.

"What about the husband?" asked a Times reporter during a mock assignment meeting for the paper. "You know he's doing those daughters. I mean, come on. It's Alaska."

The assignment editor for the Times, portrayed by actor James Franco, responded: "He very well could be. Admittedly, there is no evidence of that, but on the other hand, there is no convincing evidence to the contrary. And these are just some of the lingering questions about Governor Palin."

(Story continues below)

The skit featured a photo of one reporter and an on-screen message that stated, "In 2009 [reporter] Howland Gwathmey Moss, V was awarded the Pulitzer Prize for his Times series on unproven, yet un-disproven incest in the Palin family. Sadly, he was to die 3 months later, run over by a snow machine, driven by a polar bear."

Think this is fair?

Quote:
This quote from Todd Purdum sums up Sarah Palin and who she appeals to...

"Palin has shown herself to have remarkable gut instincts about raw politics, and she has seen openings where others did not,” writes Purdum. “And she has the good fortune to have traction within a political party that is bereft of strong leadership, and whose rank and file often demands qualities other than knowledge, experience, and an understanding that facts are, as John Adams said, stubborn things

I agree with this and I'm not a Palin supporter but wrong is wrong and I've noticed attacks like Letterman and the joke above that are beyond the pale.
Old 07-04-2009, 10:31 AM   #109
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Did you bump your head on something? The part about autism was separate from the part about abstinence. Since it wasn't clear enough for you the first time, now you know.

The facts out there easily demonstrate that people, of all ages, need to know about more ways to prevent pregnancy than abstinence. Abstinence would be just one of many tools in that area, not the single answer.

Fair enough. I did misread what you said. I was wrong. You still haven't pointed out that you wrong by saying Bristol thought abstinence was unrealistic instead of Levi.
Old 07-04-2009, 10:32 AM   #110
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

NBC may be legitimate media, but SNL is a comedy show. If your claim that the media is after her family is based on comedians, you've got a very weak point.

Last edited by Tekneek : 07-04-2009 at 10:36 AM.
Old 07-04-2009, 10:33 AM   #111
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Fair enough. I did misread what you said. I was wrong. You still haven't pointed out that you wrong by saying Bristol thought abstinence was unrealistic instead of Levi.

I will admit this. I did not record the video interview where I watched and heard her say it. That's as far as I am going on that one. Of course, it doesn't matter much what she says. Her actions speak much more loudly.
Old 07-04-2009, 10:34 AM   #112
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
What the hell are you talking about? Who cracked on her handicapped kid? Palin mentioned that in her speech, but I've never heard it, not from Democrats, Late Night comedians, or anyone.

And if you don't think the the late night comedians cracked about the Bush twins, you must have not been watching late night TV during that period.

And I don't know why you lumped in homosexual children in with "sluttish, alcoholic" behavior as if somehow that was equivalent, but the only people to attack Cheney's daughter were Republicans, such as Alan Keyes.

Give me a break. I'm not lumping them together as anything except what people like to attack. No judgement involved. I have nothing against hot sluts and/or homosexuals but I don't live under a rock and realize, as you pointed out, that these behaviors get attacked. Period. Read into it how you like.

Quote:
So late night comedians = the party?

I'd say yes, just like the democrats have said that Rush Limbaugh is the leader of the republican party. Again, can't have it both ways here.
Old 07-04-2009, 10:34 AM   #113
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Actually, the whole point of the SNL skit was to make fun of the media's overly negative coverage of Palin and her family, not Sarah Palin herself.

Old 07-04-2009, 10:35 AM   #114
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
NBC may be legitimate media, but SNL is a comedy show. If your claim that the media is after her is based on comedians, you've got a very weak point.

Then no more Rush Limbaugh jokes right? I mean, as he's said, he's just an entertainer.
Old 07-04-2009, 10:36 AM   #115
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
I will admit this. I did not record the video interview where I watched and heard her say it. That's as far as I am going on that one. Of course, it doesn't matter much what she says. Her actions speak much more loudly.

So you admit you can't prove it but you're still really right. Great admission there hotshot.
Old 07-04-2009, 10:37 AM   #116
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Actually, the whole point of the SNL skit was to make fun of the media's overly negative coverage of Palin and her family, not Sarah Palin herself.

This christmas I'll get you a loom. Surely it will help with your spinning.
Old 07-04-2009, 10:37 AM   #117
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
I'd say yes, just like the democrats have said that Rush Limbaugh is the leader of the republican party. Again, can't have it both ways here.

Let me know when the DNC Chairman and several elected Democrats defer to Letterman or Conan and apologize for criticizing them.

Old 07-04-2009, 10:38 AM   #118
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Then no more Rush Limbaugh jokes right? I mean, as he's said, he's just an entertainer.

I don't think I've ranted about Rush Limbaugh. At least, I don't remember doing it. He's just a radio guy. I see no reason to care about what he thinks or does. If he tries to state something as fact, when it is not, then at least understanding that he is wrong could be important knowledge for everyone to have. Calling him evil because he is a radio guy who has to fill a few hours everyday with something people are willing to listen to would be a bit of a leap. People obviously do not tune in, day after day, to listen to 3 hours full of nothing but facts. They find that boring.

Last edited by Tekneek : 07-04-2009 at 10:39 AM.
Old 07-04-2009, 10:40 AM   #119
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
So you admit you can't prove it but you're still really right. Great admission there hotshot.

Just as good as your claims up to this point, I figure.
Old 07-04-2009, 10:41 AM   #120
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
This christmas I'll get you a loom. Surely it will help with your spinning.

That was the point of the skit. You can put blinders on and pretend that SNL was actually calling Todd Palin a pedophile, but that's not what happened.

Old 07-04-2009, 10:42 AM   #121
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
I have a 3 month old, she had 2 glasses of wine with dinner, wish me luck

Does it really take 2 glasses of wine to quiet a 3 month old? My kid is 16, so it's been a while...
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 10:44 AM   #122
Axxon
Pro Starter

"According to expense reports, Sarah Palin charged the state of Alaska over $21,000 for her children to travel with her on official business. In fairness to Governor Palin, when she leaves them home alone, they get pregnant." --Seth Meyers

"Speaking of Sarah Palin, she said she's a life-long member of the National Rifle Association. Which may explain why she's in favor of shotgun weddings." --Conan O'Brien

"You know who is really, really happy that John McCain did not win last night? The boyfriend of Sarah Palin's daughter. He doesn't have to get married now. 'Whew, thank God!'" --Jay Leno

"A lot of speculation about Sarah Palin's future, but last night, she denied rumors that she's getting ready to run for president in 2012. Palin said, 'That's a long time away. I'll be a great-grandmother by then.'" --Conan O'Brien
Old 07-04-2009, 10:44 AM   #123
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Let me know when the DNC Chairman and several elected Democrats defer to Letterman or Conan and apologize for criticizing them.

Until then, you'll remain a hypocrite. I get that.
Old 07-04-2009, 10:46 AM   #124
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
I don't think I've ranted about Rush Limbaugh. At least, I don't remember doing it. He's just a radio guy. I see no reason to care about what he thinks or does. If he tries to state something as fact, when it is not, then at least understanding that he is wrong could be important knowledge for everyone to have. Calling him evil because he is a radio guy who has to fill a few hours everyday with something people are willing to listen to would be a bit of a leap. People obviously do not tune in, day after day, to listen to 3 hours full of nothing but facts. They find that boring.

Calling him evil?
Old 07-04-2009, 10:49 AM   #125
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
"According to expense reports, Sarah Palin charged the state of Alaska over $21,000 for her children to travel with her on official business. In fairness to Governor Palin, when she leaves them home alone, they get pregnant." --Seth Meyers

"Speaking of Sarah Palin, she said she's a life-long member of the National Rifle Association. Which may explain why she's in favor of shotgun weddings." --Conan O'Brien

"You know who is really, really happy that John McCain did not win last night? The boyfriend of Sarah Palin's daughter. He doesn't have to get married now. 'Whew, thank God!'" --Jay Leno

"A lot of speculation about Sarah Palin's future, but last night, she denied rumors that she's getting ready to run for president in 2012. Palin said, 'That's a long time away. I'll be a great-grandmother by then.'" --Conan O'Brien

Thanks for demonstrating two things:

1) Leno sucks

2) More than just Letterman made these jokes, but Palin oddly focused only on him.

Old 07-04-2009, 10:49 AM   #126
Axxon
Pro Starter

[quote=larrymcg421;2064227]That was the point of the skit. You can put blinders on and pretend that SNL was actually calling Todd Palin a pedophile, but that's not what happened.[/QUOTE

And you can wear blinders and think that if there weren't jokes about young Palin's sexuality that they'd have ever made that joke.

But come on here, we're talking character assassination not fact finding. No one of any party telling jokes about other parties have been actually accusing them of the action. They're all just telling jokes. You can't seriously believe otherwise. Geez.
Old 07-04-2009, 10:50 AM   #127
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Just as good as your claims up to this point, I figure.

Oh noes!!!! He went for the I know I am but so are you joke. I'm doomed. Doomed I tell you.

SIGH.
Old 07-04-2009, 10:50 AM   #128
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Thanks for demonstrating two things:

1) Leno sucks

2) More than just Letterman made these jokes, but Palin oddly focused only on him.

Which are two distinct facts that I don't agree with you on at all but of course are not part of this discussion.
Old 07-04-2009, 10:51 AM   #129
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Calling him evil?

Yeah, some people try to work that angle. In general, I don't care too much what entertainers think of anything.
Old 07-04-2009, 10:54 AM   #130
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
More than just Letterman made these jokes, but Palin oddly focused only on him.

Other than SNL did someone else (even accidentally) imply that her 14 year old was sleeping with a grown man?

The ballplayer ought to have raised hell about Letterman, probably even more than anybody in Palin's camp.
Old 07-04-2009, 10:54 AM   #131
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Yeah, some people try to work that angle. In general, I don't care too much what entertainers think of anything.

Personally I don't either but I do think that they influence a lot of people who don't have as much time as I do to surf the web all day and get several different opinions and versions of the news to realize that the truth doesn't necessarily spring from their mouths, especially the pseudo news guys like limbaugh, the daily show ect. I didn't like it when Limbaugh did it I'll be damned if I'll like when the left does it. I'll like it less, I'm on their side.
Old 07-04-2009, 10:54 AM   #132
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Oh noes!!!! He went for the I know I am but so are you joke. I'm doomed. Doomed I tell you.

SIGH.

Axxon, if it will make you feel better, I will admit that she was an easy target for comedians and they really went for it. It's important to note that most of them probably didn't even know who she was until she accepted the VP slot for the GOP ticket, which means she thrust herself into that scene. It isn't her fault, but she could have stayed in Alaska and never been forced to deal with it. Do we now add "hopelessly naive" to her list of traits?

Last edited by Tekneek : 07-04-2009 at 10:55 AM.
Old 07-04-2009, 10:55 AM   #133
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Other than SNL did someone else (even accidentally) imply that her 14 year old was sleeping with a grown man?

The ballplayer ought to have raised hell about Letterman, probably even more than anybody in Palin's camp.

Unless the ballplayer was Luis Polonia of course.
Old 07-04-2009, 10:57 AM   #134
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Axxon, if it will make you feel better, I will admit that she was an easy target for comedians and they really went for it. It's important to note that most of them probably didn't even know who she was until she accepted the VP slot for the GOP ticket, which means she thrust herself into that scene. It isn't her fault, but she could have stayed in Alaska and never been forced to deal with it. Do we now add "hopelessly naive" to her list of traits?

I agree with all of this. This all started because I thought she may have possibly decided to remove herself from public life to spare herself and her family more of this. Are you willing to concede that? No problem if you aren't. We can agree to disagree on it. It's not that important.
Old 07-04-2009, 10:58 AM   #135
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Until then, you'll remain a hypocrite. I get that.

Rush Limbaugh is called the leader of the Republican party because Republican party leaders have actually apologized for criticizing them after getting flooded with tons of hate mail from Limbaugh followers. Nothing like that has happened with the late night hosts and you know it. If you just want to ignore those facts so you can make your argument, that's perfectly fine, but it makes you look like a dumbass when you call someone a hypocrite after they noted the clear differences between the two situations.

Old 07-04-2009, 10:58 AM   #136
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

So at what point do some of you figure out the obvious?

Namely, that the old joke about "50,000 X at the bottom of the sea = a good start" isn't really meant to be all that funny? Or that if you're being charged by Opposition Politician X, Osama bin Laden, and an angry rhino but you only have two bullets, the correct response is to shoot Opp Pol X twice. We aren't really kidding when we say that you know.
Old 07-04-2009, 10:59 AM   #137
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Unless the ballplayer was Luis Polonia of course.

Indeed. In that instance all bets are off.
Old 07-04-2009, 10:59 AM   #138
Axxon
Pro Starter

Dola, I 100% believe she was hopelessly naive ( maybe hopefully is a better word since I think that's the constituency she was selected to appeal to and she did ) but I don't think she'd have been chosen if she wasn't.
Old 07-04-2009, 11:01 AM   #139
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Big deal, she played basketball. Did you give Jack Kemp shit when he pulled out his baseball metaphors? Bill Bradley his basketball metaphors? Any politician and his goofball metaphors?

I mean, for character assassination there's enough material out there not to have to nit pick.

I didn't say anything about her character. I was making fun of her speech, which was terrible. I don't mind a good sports metaphor. I use them all the time. I was making fun of the fact that she botched the one she used, and then threw in several other cliches/metaphors along the way.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 11:02 AM   #140
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Rush Limbaugh is called the leader of the Republican party because Republican party leaders have actually apologized for criticizing them after getting flooded with tons of hate mail from Limbaugh followers. Nothing like that has happened with the late night hosts and you know it. If you just want to ignore those facts so you can make your argument, that's perfectly fine, but it makes you look like a dumbass when you call someone a hypocrite after they noted the clear differences between the two situations.

No, I'm saying I've heard this particular mantra for years. I know some people who seriously wanted him to and believed he would run for president in 2000. Rush has been one of the strongest speakers for the republican party for years unlike any democrats except Al Frankin ( and lookie what he did )and I feel that it's hypocritical to ignore that and assume this only happened overnight.
Old 07-04-2009, 11:04 AM   #141
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
I didn't say anything about her character. I was making fun of her speech, which was terrible. I don't mind a good sports metaphor. I use them all the time. I was making fun of the fact that she botched the one she used, and then threw in several other cliches/metaphors along the way.

Gotcha. Noted.
Old 07-04-2009, 11:08 AM   #142
Tigercat
College Starter

Bush's daughters got media and comedy attention for drinking. Chelsea would have gotten negative press/jokes if she got in trouble as a late teen. Late teens getting in trouble = fair game for press reporting and comedians. That is the way it is, even if that is unfortunate, and Palin and Bristol did not get special treatment.

Bush got just as much negative attention for his blunders as Palin did.

Clinton and Edwards got jokes/press over their expensive haircuts just as Palin got attention over her wardrobe.

I am sorry, but where in the hell is the special character assassination that Palin went through? At worst, she got a strong magnifying glass because she came out of nowhere into Presidential level politics. But what she was criticized for and made fun of for was absolutely nothing unusual.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 11:11 AM   #143
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
Bush's daughters got media and comedy attention for drinking. Chelsea would have gotten negative press/jokes if she got in trouble as a late teen. Late teens getting in trouble = fair game for press reporting and comedians. That is the way it is, even if that is unfortunate, and Palin and Bristol did not get special treatment.

I don't believe the Bush girls got that much negative press and I clearly don't remember anyone suggesting Bush slept with either of them. That's garbage.

The last family member who took it in the shorts this badly was Billy and he was a grown man and had a sense of humor about it.
Old 07-04-2009, 11:32 AM   #144
Flasch186
Coordinator

I remember the Chelsea = ugly jokes....

I thought that they were the news though and not jokes. Although since she got into college and such I thought she was actually hittable. {shrug}

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 11:39 AM   #145
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
Although since she got into college and such I thought she was actually hittable. {shrug}

Eww.
Old 07-04-2009, 11:40 AM   #146
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
I agree with all of this. This all started because I thought she may have possibly decided to remove herself from public life to spare herself and her family more of this. Are you willing to concede that? No problem if you aren't. We can agree to disagree on it. It's not that important.

Sure, why not? Ultimately, I don't really care what she does, as long as it doesn't involve her governing over me.

Last edited by Tekneek : 07-04-2009 at 11:52 AM.
Old 07-04-2009, 12:30 PM   #148
Flasch186
Coordinator

Blogs are a bad place to get news from IMO.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 12:42 PM   #149
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
Blogs are a bad place to get news from IMO.

I wasn't getting news from it. I was just contributing it to the conversation.

You know...they report, you decide.
Old 07-04-2009, 12:48 PM   #150
Axxon
Pro Starter

Lettuce not overreact to the Iceberg scandal.