Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-04-2003, 10:07 AM   #101
primelord
Pro Rookie

Just as an FYI at the rate we are going I can just about garauntee that bug will not be fixed by the time we hit the 2002 season. Lets just make sure we have lots of 2nd and 3rd round picks when we import the TCY draft
Old 04-04-2003, 10:08 AM   #102
Bee
Pro Starter

I'd like to propose a new house rule...We can't have any draft picks in 2002.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 10:09 AM   #103
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Bee
I'd like to propose a new house rule...We can't have any draft picks in 2002.

I was actually seriously considering proposing the same thing. Maybe we should limit ourselves to 1 first round draft pick and trade everything else for future picks.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 10:11 AM   #104
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by primelord
Just as an FYI at the rate we are going I can just about garauntee that bug will not be fixed by the time we hit the 2002 season. Lets just make sure we have lots of 2nd and 3rd round picks when we import the TCY draft

I might have stumbled upon an ILB bug too, so you can draft 3 or 4 starting ILB's in the 6th or 7th round!
Old 04-04-2003, 10:26 AM   #105
primelord
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by cthomer5000
I might have stumbled upon an ILB bug too, so you can draft 3 or 4 starting ILB's in the 6th or 7th round!

A bug in the game in general or just with TCY imports?
primelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 10:33 AM   #106
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
A bug in the game in general or just with TCY imports?

TCY imports.

I posted it in the bug thread on the other page, but the computer teams took 30+ OLB's before the first inside linebacker was selected. They were taking bums before first-round talents, even when ILB was their top need. I need to run a few more drafts to make sure it is a bug and not some weird one-time affair.
Old 04-04-2003, 12:37 PM   #107
wade moore
lolzcat

what would be the odds of jim hacking some sort of corrected 2002 draft file that could be distributed? Like... generating one from WITHIN fof or something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 12:52 PM   #108
primelord
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by wade moore
what would be the odds of jim hacking some sort of corrected 2002 draft file that could be distributed? Like... generating one from WITHIN fof or something?

Heh I can ask, but I wouldn't hold your breath.
primelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 01:02 PM   #109
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Btw, A, if you're reading this, I love that you are reading this.. I wish more people did honestly.. it makes it that much more fun when we have people following it..

Thank you and yes, I have read every single word so far (glossing over the stats though). Reading this dynasty has been the highlight of my day. As much as I am critical of FOF4 and the direction it took, the way you guys are playing it and most importantly, the critical decision-making process makes it worthwhile.

Btw, in our sim last night with the OOTP5 GroupThink, we went through a similar process when we lost one of our key SP in May. We had our pitching coach, minors coordinator and bean counter (me), along with our GM all on AIM evaluating and agreeing on the best course of action. Being in a chat was a different dynamic than what goes on here, but the decision-making process was still the same, and just as fun.
Anrhydeddu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 01:23 PM   #110
QuikSand
lolzcat

I'm with Anrhydeddu on critical thinking process - that is the key. We'rte making some tough decisions, even if the amount of variance in our end result isn't as much as I'd like - I still feel like when we make a mistake, we feel it.

We'll continue the draft momentarily... drum roll, please.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 01:25 PM   #111
QuikSand
lolzcat

Here is the draft, up to our next pick. I'll post the update files, and we can talk in earnest about where to go from here.

Well done so far, gents. I like the way this has turned out, actually.

- - -

Code:
16. Mazatlan - Palmer, Deion, WR, Vanderbilt 17. Sacramento - Young, Jeremy, CB, Mansfield 18. Thunder Bay - Guthrie, John, DE, Washington 19. Hawk Mountain - Gulbrandsen, Fernando, CB, Tulsa 20. Niagara Falls - Williams, Levon, CB, Florida 21. Fort Wayne - Heuring, Luther, OLB, Purdue 22. Little Rock - Ellis, Bert, DT, Kentucky 23. Texarkana - Washington, Kendrick, G, Pittsburgh 24. Louisville - Harrison, Richie, T, Morgan State 25. Napa Valley - Hitchcock, Andrew, WR, Ohio State 26. Athens - Bryant, Brett, QB, Morgan State 27. Key West - Burns, Norman, DT, California 28. Death Valley - Richard, Wendell, CB, Baylor 29. Sault Ste. Marie - Feeney, Carl, G, Stanford 30. Texarkana - Coles, Tyrone, C, South Carolina 31. Wheeling - DeNeff, O.J., OLB, Virginia 32. Providence - Legg, Clarence, QB, Indiana 33. Kitty Hawk - Strong, Willie, DE, North Carolina State 34. Tijuana - Ross, Dusty, G, Brigham Young 35. Texarkana - McConnell, Jeremy, T, Tennessee 36. Nashua - Bernstein, Norman, G, Wisconsin 37. Tulsa - Yoon, J.R., DT, Florida 38. Norfolk - Dorash, Pat, T, Tennessee 39. Ypsilanti - Burnett, Robert, G, Wisconsin 40. Cheyenne - Kemp, Edward, DT, Ohio State 41. Memphis - Ogden, Brandon, RB, Toledo 42. Puget Sound - England, Melvin, C, Michigan 43. Bermuda - Battistone, Benjamin, S, North Carolina 44. Ocean City - Caleca, Fernando, G, Michigan State 45. Pensacola - Murry, Marlon, WR, Ball State 46. Lake Erie - Jolly, Scott, DT, Southern Utah 47. Manhattan - Lea, Charles, T, Missouri - Rolla 48. Mazatlan - Niles, Robbie, RB, UCLA 49. Sacramento - Murphy, Ernie, RB, Arkansas State 50. Norfolk - Rayburn, Mario, QB, Jackson State 51. Hawk Mountain - Apotsos, Benjamin, QB, SW Texas St. 52. Niagara Falls - Austin, Brian, DE, North Carolina 53. Fort Wayne - Nichols, Lincoln, ILB, Murray State 54. Fort Knox - Kopp, Corwin, T, Arizona 55. Cheyenne - Shepard, Roy, DE, Michigan State 56. Louisville - Hastings, Brett, DE, Texas A&M 57. Napa Valley - Duffy, Rich, DE, Clemson 58. Athens - Rochelle, Kendall, DE, Nebraska 59. Key West - Kleman, Andre, DE, Robert Morris 60. Death Valley - Winters, Teddy, DT, Temple 61. Sault Ste. Marie - Prescott, Shane, CB, Texas A&M 62. Texarkana - Elliott, Marvin, OLB, Illinois 63. Wheeling - Hudson, Shane, S, Rhode Island 64. Providence - Eckert, Morris, DE, Virginia 65. Kitty Hawk - Carr, Freddie, CB, Elon College 66. Tijuana - Rubble, Sean, CB, Boston College 67. Texarkana - Lorenzen, Rondell, OLB, Auburn 68. Nashua - Brewster, Neal, C, Cal. - Sacramento

Last edited by QuikSand : 04-04-2003 at 01:25 PM.
Old 04-04-2003, 01:26 PM   #112
QuikSand
lolzcat

Here is the first file:
Old 04-04-2003, 01:27 PM   #113
QuikSand
lolzcat

Second file attached
Old 04-04-2003, 01:37 PM   #114
primelord
Pro Rookie

I really like WLB James Becker at this pick. I think we are going to need someone to replace Harden next season and he seems to have the skills to do so. He is too small to move positions so if we take him he is stuck as being a WLB, but that is what Harden plays anyway so I think that pick makes a lot of sense here.
Old 04-04-2003, 01:42 PM   #115
QuikSand
lolzcat

I sense another "difference in philosophy" in our midst...

I am stuned that DE Adrian Brewer is still here, and would consider him pretty seriously. But, I think we may need to think about imediate needs more than overall value, and perhaps OLB is a more pressing need.

Even at OLB, I prefer Gabe Rosian to Becker. I'm pliable here, though.
Old 04-04-2003, 01:52 PM   #116
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

I won't have game access until this evening, but things are turning out very well. I think we definitely need to go defense here, so wherever the best marriage of talent & need can be found, let's get it.
Old 04-04-2003, 01:55 PM   #117
Bee
Pro Starter

Since my dream of getting C Coles is gone, I'm ok with going with another defensive player.
Old 04-04-2003, 02:46 PM   #118
primelord
Pro Rookie

Here are a couple of thoughts...

To be honest I assumed Brewer would be gone by this point too so I forgot all about him. He does have that Kent Wolfe look about him which is very intriguing and even if he isn't a major breakout his pass rushing skills look like they should be above average anyway.

However we should keep in mind that he is already idolized by the fans. So if we bring him in it's probably for the long haul and big $$$'s down the road. If he breaks out like Kent Wolfe did that isn't so bad. If he develops to his current potential (which shoulod be solid, but not spectacular) then I am not sure if we want that kind of cash tied up in him, and if he busts like Howard Hammond did well....

If we go OLB I like Gabe Rosian too, but I would still prefer we took James Becker. He just looks better than Rosian to me. But I wouldn't be crushed if we took Rosian instead.

So where does that leave us? We have capable DE's now. But Brewer does look like he could be one of those monster break outs. We don't have much depth at OLB now and it is likely Harden will be leaving after this season.

To be honest I am kind of leaning towards Brewer because I just love the upside potential. But I want Quik to agree that way I can blame him when we are shackled long term to a scrub if he busts. The safe pick here would be a OLB (I think Becker) however that could result in the most success for us if he breaks out is Brewer. So I guess my vote is Brewer but I will be happy with Becker. (Or Rosian I guess )
Old 04-04-2003, 04:01 PM   #119
QuikSand
lolzcat

primelord,

Conceptually, we're pretty close here. I honestly don't know how good DE Brewer might be, but he does have "that look." Indeed, "that look" is essentially where we seem to differ.

My problem with LB Becker lies in the intangibles that I have discussed elsewhere. I smell in him a modest bust - and so, when you speak of him being the "safe pick" I would simply suggest that he has all the signs of not being safe at all, but indeed being a disappointment waiting to happen. I don't think Becker is a major bust, but I don't think he will ever develop to a rating of 76 in run defense, but rather his upside there is more like 55, maybe 60. Similarly, I think all his green ratings are overstated, as tipped off by his "static" ratings (as I have frequently referenced).

On the board I think we have three defensive players who all show the signs of being solid, if not breakouts. One is DE Brewer, who currently looks like he could be an adequate player, with pretty good pass rushing skills. The others I see are two outside linebackers, Rosian and the somewhat less impressive Gary Lane.

Thing is, we almost certainly get only one bite at this apple. After this pick, we wait until the end of round 6 to select again, where we won't see players of this quality, to be sure.

That's why as optimistic I might be about DE Brewer (and I am), I might be inclined to go with a linebacker here - because our current roster is getting more than a bit thin there, as we have lost LB Alan Martinez already, and have four out of five of our current linebackers out of contract after this season. I think Rosian is the guy to take, but I've said my piece- and will yield to the will of our coordinator and any other level of consensus that emerges from the participants.
Old 04-04-2003, 04:30 PM   #120
primelord
Pro Rookie

Well I will say on advantage to Rosian is his size gives us more options with him. We can essentially just plug him into any starting LB spot if we need him. Where as Becker's size limits him to only the WLB position. Again I will point out simply because we usually forget to check that Rosian is a Fan Favorite. So we may be stuck with him whether we want him or not if we take him.

I am starting to hate the idea of passing over Brewer at this point though. Let me throw something out there. Could we explore the possibility of trading for the next pick so we could take both Brewer and Rosian? I would just really hate to see Brewer just develop into a monster and no we passed on him.
Old 04-04-2003, 06:00 PM   #121
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Well I will say on advantage to Rosian is his size gives us more options with him. We can essentially just plug him into any starting LB spot if we need him. Where as Becker's size limits him to only the WLB position. Again I will point out simply because we usually forget to check that Rosian is a Fan Favorite. So we may be stuck with him whether we want him or not if we take him.

I am starting to hate the idea of passing over Brewer at this point though. Let me throw something out there. Could we explore the possibility of trading for the next pick so we could take both Brewer and Rosian? I would just really hate to see Brewer just develop into a monster and no we passed on him.

We're already down a 2nd rounder next year, so we should definitely be careful about giving up any more future draft picks. I think i'd be in favor of just selecting 1 and moving on.
Old 04-04-2003, 06:19 PM   #122
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

well, ive got the team names under control, but still not the cities. So here is one more file request. Can someone who has the correct city names please post

frfoot.fcy from the universe directory?
Old 04-04-2003, 06:20 PM   #123
primelord
Pro Rookie

What about a second rounder two years from now?
Old 04-04-2003, 06:24 PM   #124
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
What about a second rounder two years from now?

As long as you believe in this guy, I think we should do anything within reason.

Since we're in the 3rd round now, how about a proposal like this to whoever has the next pick:

1998 3rd rounder
1997 4th or 5th rounder

I think at that price we could easily justify the move.

edit: clarified and added thoughts.

Last edited by cthomer5000 : 04-04-2003 at 06:31 PM.
Old 04-04-2003, 06:29 PM   #125
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

better yet. How about proposing a 1998 3rd rounder and this years 6th and/or 7th rounder? That way we can pick up guys who have the ability to have an impact at minimal expense, and not have to mire around in the bummy portion of the draft...

It probably won't take all that much to swing a deal for the next pick, we'd be offering fair value.

Last edited by cthomer5000 : 04-04-2003 at 06:30 PM.
Old 04-04-2003, 06:55 PM   #126
QuikSand
lolzcat

Okay, I love it when a plan comes together. We trade our 5th round pick next year, plus our 3rd round pick in 1998, to get Norfolk's pick right after ours, This gives us two players that we want here, and will let us have an intriguing side-by-side experiment as the years go on.

From the input we've gotten, I think we take DE Brewer and LB Becker here, and we'll see how we do with them. Since LB Rosian is already a fan fave, under our rules I see that as a big demerit, even though that doesn't seem realistic. (I'm a big believer in "set your rules, then play all-out within them")

So we go from there:

Code:
69. Little Rock - Becker, James, OLB, Texas 70. Little Rock - Brewer, Adrian, DE, Purdue 71. Ypsilanti - Witt, Cornelius, T, Mississippi State 72. Cheyenne - Lacy, Nate, S, Kent 73. Memphis - Rice, Arnold, DE, Arizona 74. Puget Sound - Burton, Eugene, WR, Purdue 75. Bermuda - Brill, Carlton, DT, Temple 76. Ocean City - Williams, Everett, S, Texas Christian 77. Pensacola - Pierce, Austin, G, Fresno State 79. Manhattan - Downs, Nathan, WR, Mississippi State 80. Mazatlan - Ackley, Bernie, WR, Missouri 81. Sacramento - Race, Ted, S, Missouri 82. Thunder Bay - Barker, Jake, C, Duke 83. Hawk Mountain - Rosian, Gabe, OLB, Iowa 84. Niagara Falls - Kuiper, Ian, DT, Northern Illinois 85. Fort Wayne - Schroeder, Bert, CB, Miami, Florida 86. Fort Knox - Ned, Kenneth, CB, West Virginia 87. Champaign - Joyner, Kent, WR, Oklahoma State 88. Niagara Falls - Patton, K.C., OLB, Tennessee Tech 89. Napa Valley - Jones, Kendrick, S, Temple 90. Athens - Carlton, Ray, G, Nebraska 91. Key West - Nolan, Alan, DE, Oklahoma State 92. Death Valley - Finch, Jerry, RB, Texas 93. Sault Ste. Marie - Norton, Byron, DE, Nebraska 94. Champaign - Sinclair, Willie, T, Oregon 95. Wheeling - Bronson, Perry, T, Mississippi State 96. Providence - Burnham, Irving, CB, Alabama 97. Kitty Hawk - Vance, Blaine, FB, Tennessee 98. Tijuana - Sheets, Richie, S, Southern Mississippi 99. Texarkana - Holecek, Patrick, RB, Buffalo 100. Nashua - Stromberg, David, FB, Virginia Tech 101. Mazatlan - Lane, Gary, OLB, Indiana State 102. Kitty Hawk - Drake, Archie, CB, Michigan State 103. Ypsilanti - Hayes, William, FB, Notre Dame 104. Cheyenne - Farley, Kenyon, OLB, Buffalo 105. Memphis - Corbitt, Donnie, DT, Maryland 106. Puget Sound - Finister, Ralph, CB, Cincinnati 107. Bermuda - Kwan, Grant, OLB, Oklahoma State 108. Tulsa - Cobb, Hugh, DE, Indiana 109. Pensacola - Tom, Jimmie, CB, Northwestern 110. Lake Erie - Sawyer, Wayne, FB, Tulsa 111. Manhattan - Brooks, Stephen, S, Ohio State 112. Sault Ste. Marie - Burke, Courtney, TE, Iowa 113. Sacramento - Dillon, Brad, WR, Washington 114. Thunder Bay - Borders, Kennedy, CB, Middle Tenn. St. 115. Hawk Mountain - Burton, Walter, RB, Bowling Green 116. Niagara Falls - Morris, Don, DT, Stanford 117. Fort Wayne - Kenyon, Randal, RB, LIU/C.W. Post 118. Fort Knox - Adams, Gary, RB, Kansas State 119. Champaign - Burkhardt, Glenn, DT, Indiana 120. Louisville - Blood, Louie, C, Georgia Tech 121. Napa Valley - Husted, Warren, G, Iona 122. Athens - Lofton, Joey, TE, Oklahoma State 123. Nashua - Purnell, Donovan, DE, Auburn 124. Death Valley - Odum, Timothy, OLB, Notre Dame 125. Sault Ste. Marie - Winslett, Scottie, K, Purdue 126. Fort Knox - Andrews, Erik, WR, Pittsburgh 127. Athens - Guliford, Carlos, WR, North Carolina State 128. Providence - Benton, Norm, T, Vanderbilt 129. Kitty Hawk - Tatum, Rufus, DE, Marist 130. Tijuana - Watson, Les, WR, Vanderbilt 131. Texarkana - Godfrey, Mel, G, Louisiana State 132. Nashua - Westbrook, Drew, CB, Maryland 133. Tulsa - Farrell, Kelvin, G, Wyoming 134. Norfolk - Graybill, James, DE, South Carolina 135. Kitty Hawk - Robertson, Frank, RB, Washington State 136. Cheyenne - Lenhardt, Duane, T, Illinois 137. Memphis - McMahan, Josh, S, Purdue 138. Puget Sound - Reynolds, Mark, TE, Minnesota 139. Bermuda - Strickland, Butch, ILB, West Virginia 140. Ocean City - Pirtle, Amos, TE, Notre Dame 141. Pensacola - Jordan, Trevor, TE, Rhode Island 142. Lake Erie - Noisy, Charlie, WR, Michigan 143. Manhattan - Jacobs, Jesse, OLB, Oklahoma State 144. Mazatlan - Jefferson, J.R., OLB, Nebraska 145. Sacramento - Richard, Mario, G, Houston 146. Thunder Bay - Kramer, Xavier, CB, Tx. A&M - Commerce 147. Hawk Mountain - Everett, Carlos, T, Miami, Florida 148. Niagara Falls - Borders, Sherman, G, Oregon State 149. Fort Wayne - Prescott, Corey, S, Indiana 150. Fort Knox - Cote, Antonio, WR, Wayne State (Neb.) 151. Champaign - Houghton, Luther, ILB, Houston 152. Louisville - Durham, Jay, TE, Weber State 153. Napa Valley - Nobles, Lester, DT, Texas A&M 154. Athens - Traylor, Gino, DT, Southern California 155. Key West - Dellinger, Ed, CB, Alabama 156. Death Valley - Ripken, Wade, G, N. Carolina Central 157. Sault Ste. Marie - Basham, Patrick, S, Fresno State 158. Fort Knox - Shaw, Trevor, S, Georgia Tech 159. Wheeling - Zorich, Lamont, G, Washington 160. Providence - Kirkland, Tracy, G, Mississippi 161. Kitty Hawk - Buie, Lamont, DT, Cincinnati 162. Tijuana - Adams, Myron, ILB, Houston 163. Kitty Hawk - Devine, Percy, DT, Texas Tech 164. Nashua - LeTourneau, Ernie, DE, UNLV 165. Tulsa - Stacey, Dominic, OLB, Florida State 166. Norfolk - Fields, K.C., CB, Minnesota 167. Ypsilanti - Dennis, Marlon, TE, Virginia Tech 168. Cheyenne - Jacobs, Skip, T, Georgia 169. Tijuana - Battle, Bennie, S, West Virginia 170. Nashua - Maloney, Conrad, G, Notre Dame 171. Bermuda - Woo, Henry, OLB, Auburn 172. Ocean City - Blades, Lee, RB, Indiana 173. Hawk Mountain - Clemons, Ty, RB, Temple 174. Lake Erie - Barnes, William, WR, Colorado State 175. Manhattan - Kirchner, Dennis, G, Georgia Tech 176. Mazatlan - Fewell, Clay, T, Pittsburgh 177. Sacramento - Sanderson, Kevin, T, Illinois 178. Thunder Bay - Marr, Rod, T, Minnesota 179. Hawk Mountain - Sutton, Chris, OLB, Duke 180. Niagara Falls - Cobb, Kurt, FB, Kansas State 181. Fort Wayne - Crase, Alfred, DT, Air Force 182. Fort Knox - Lanham, Renaldo, OLB, Maryland 183. Champaign - Akers, Richie, G, Fresno State 184. Louisville - Lake, Matt, FB, Stanford 185. Napa Valley - Prescott, Adrian, FB, St. Cloud State 186. Athens - Stone, Allen, WR, Tennessee State 187. Key West - Martin, Don, CB, Washington State 188. Death Valley - Godfrey, Gabe, OLB, Arkansas 189. Sault Ste. Marie - Minnis, Billy, WR, Georgia

Last edited by QuikSand : 04-04-2003 at 07:04 PM.
Old 04-04-2003, 07:02 PM   #127
QuikSand
lolzcat

We only have one pick left, but I couldn't find a real standout, so I'm sharing the files... here's the first:
Old 04-04-2003, 07:04 PM   #128
QuikSand
lolzcat

Here's the second file.

I may be out a while, so if there is a consensus, please go on ahead... I have no strong feelings on this stuff from here on out. Feel free to move on to training camp, if anyone gets the whim.
Old 04-04-2003, 07:05 PM   #129
QuikSand
lolzcat

Corey, here's your city file:
Old 04-04-2003, 07:11 PM   #130
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by QuikSand
Corey, here's your city file:

Quik,

you are a scholar and a gentleman.
Old 04-04-2003, 07:12 PM   #131
QuikSand
lolzcat

I'm here to help.
Old 04-04-2003, 07:21 PM   #132
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

For what it's worth we have 2 picks left, a 6th and 7th rounder.

guys who look worth a shot to me (haven't completed looking at everyone)

CENTER
Lonnie Ancheta - well liked
Adam Nash
Antonio Scherer

GUARD
LG Perry Dillon
LG Jake Nickell

we can also make a long-term upgrade at kicker if we want to.

Last edited by cthomer5000 : 04-04-2003 at 07:22 PM.
Old 04-04-2003, 07:27 PM   #133
primelord
Pro Rookie

I don't see very much on defense that interests me. Wade what do you think of RB Tom Murray? Not a star by any means, but seems like he would make a capable backup were our new stud to go down with injury.

Or maybe a guy like C Charlie Wiggins
Old 04-04-2003, 08:14 PM   #134
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
I don't see very much on defense that interests me. Wade what do you think of RB Tom Murray? Not a star by any means, but seems likehe would make a capable backup were our new stud to go down with injury.

Or maybe a guy like C Charlie Wiggins

Wiggins looks like he could be a bust, those 66/66/67 ratings...

at RB Murray looks decent to me, What about fellow RB Butch Burk, think there's a chance for some sort of breakout there?

here's everyone I would consider drafting or signing after the draft:
Code:
RB Tom Murray MIke Harrison Butch Burks breakout potential? Ty Haynesworth CENTER Lonnie Ancheta - well liked Adam Nash Antonio Scherer GUARD LG Perry Dillon LG Jake Nickell KICKER Cole Murray - recognized by fans Mario Shields - fan favorite D. END LDE Bryant Porter LDE Sean McCarthy INSIDE LINE BACKER WILB Charlie Crum SAFETY FS Keith Dombrowski

Last edited by cthomer5000 : 04-04-2003 at 08:15 PM.
Old 04-04-2003, 08:21 PM   #135
wade moore
lolzcat

Tom Murray would be a nice pickup, but he may get so mired in the guys we have that he might never see a play..

Wiggins looks nice, but I think Ancheta is a safer bet, Wiggins sure seems to have a ton of green..

Dillon wouldn't be a bad pickup, but I think I like the C's better than him..

I kind of like the idea of picking up a K.. Mario Shields seems to be the best, but if we're playing to maximize our rules, he is a fan favorite.. so it's possible that we'd be better picking up Cole Murray... He could be a great long term addition to our team, particuraly with a Kicker who is pretty poor.. at this point, this seems to actually be the most significant contributor we could pick up here..

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 04-04-2003, 08:29 PM   #136
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

I agree with basically everything you said wade. I prefer the centers over the guards as well, but included the guards because we currently need a 4th one. We currently have 2 centers under contract.

I could justify either going kicker now and seeing what's left, or taking an O-lineman now and seeing if one of the kickers is there in round 7.
Old 04-04-2003, 08:32 PM   #137
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

well, I'm heading out for the night, feel free to move on without me.

If you want to do me a favor try to pick up as many of the guys I targeted as undrafted free agents.
Old 04-04-2003, 08:53 PM   #138
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Well I will say on advantage to Rosian is his size gives us more options with him. We can essentially just plug him into any starting LB spot if we need him. Where as Becker's size limits him to only the WLB position.

Does this really make any difference in the game or is this one of those 'pretend that it does to add realism' thing?
Old 04-04-2003, 09:08 PM   #139
primelord
Pro Rookie

A,

Just like in FOF2001 there are weight restrictions on switching positions. Becker only weighs 214 lbs so unless we want him to play safety or corner he can't switch to a different LB position.

Wade if I get a confirmation on who you want to go with here I will make the pickups.
Old 04-05-2003, 07:11 AM   #140
oykib
College Starter

I think that you should aim for an idolized crappy running back with your 7th rounder or undrafted FA. There is always the chance that he could be better liked than Crawford. And if you're going to cut Crawford, this would be the year to do it.
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2003, 07:49 AM   #141
wade moore
lolzcat

My vote is for K Cole Murray..

Quote:
Old 04-05-2003, 08:20 AM   #142
QuikSand
lolzcat

I like Butch Burks better than Tom Murray at RB, personally. oykib's idea is a good one, but since Crawford's popularity is at 98, it's a real longshot to make it work. It might, however, be possible by getting an URFA - where we can sort by popularity before signing a player. Something to consider - very clever, oykib.

I could also be quite hapy with K Cole Murray here - he looks very solid.

Maybe QB Omar Conley has some breakout potential... probably not a guy to draft, but perhaps a worthwhile URFA pickup? If he breaks out, the upside is very high.

Among the OL being discussed, I think C Ancheta is the most promising, Plenty of sure busts on the list of yours being thrown around, though.
Old 04-05-2003, 08:45 AM   #143
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by QuikSand
I like Butch Burks better than Tom Murray at RB, personally. oykib's idea is a good one, but since Crawford's popularity is at 98, it's a real longshot to make it work. It might, however, be possible by getting an URFA - where we can sort by popularity before signing a player. Something to consider - very clever, oykib.

I could also be quite hapy with K Cole Murray here - he looks very solid.

Maybe QB Omar Conley has some breakout potential... probably not a guy to draft, but perhaps a worthwhile URFA pickup? If he breaks out, the upside is very high.

so our list of finalist seems to be:

C Ancheta
RB Burks
K Cole Murray
QB Conley

which will still be there in round 7?

Quote:
Plenty of sure busts on the list of yours being thrown around, though.

i thought so, I just don't have the FOF4 scouting experience you guys do. This is the most I've played the game since buying it.

Last edited by cthomer5000 : 04-05-2003 at 08:46 AM.
Old 04-05-2003, 09:12 AM   #144
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

primelord, a clarification please. Are you saying the game prevents you from switching undersized players?
Old 04-05-2003, 09:19 AM   #145
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Anrhydeddu
primelord, a clarification please. Are you saying the game prevents you from switching undersized players?

yes it does. A player's size determines which positions he can be moved to, so for example a 220 lb WLB can only be mvoed to safety or cornerback - not SLB or ILB. Once you move him, it's also likely he can't be moved back to WLB because of his size.
Old 04-05-2003, 09:44 AM   #146
QuikSand
lolzcat

I htink QB Conley will be there after the draft... and I wouldn't really advocate picking him here - I'd just suggest we take him as a roster filler, and keep an eye for a possible jump in ratings during training camp. If it happens, then he needs to make the team, and probably be re-signed for next year.
Old 04-05-2003, 09:51 AM   #147
QuikSand
lolzcat

Here is the conclusion of the draft:

Code:
190. Little Rock - Murray, Cole, K, Virginia 191. Wheeling - Strickland, Jay, WR, Oklahoma State 192. Providence - Lincoln, Edgar, G, Vanderbilt 193. Kitty Hawk - Knight, Mel, WR, Kansas 194. Tijuana - Baxter, Walt, WR, Alabama 195. Texarkana - Neel, Lewis, S, Vanderbilt 196. Nashua - Chance, Joe, TE, Oregon 197. Mazatlan - Stephens, Roy, WR, Arizona State 198. Norfolk - Judkins, Gus, ILB, Kentucky 199. Ypsilanti - Holmes, Shannon, OLB, Mississippi State 200. Cheyenne - Shields, Mario, K, Memphis 201. Memphis - Hoskins, Luke, WR, Mississippi State 202. Puget Sound - Evans, Wesley, ILB, Minn. - Crookston 203. Bermuda - Sherman, Kris, T, South Carolina 204. Ocean City - Dombrowski, Keith, S, Texas - El Paso 205. Pensacola - Whiting, R.J., WR, Washington State 206. Lake Erie - Crum, Charlie, ILB, Virginia Tech 207. Texarkana - Onnen, Levon, S, Colorado State 208. Mazatlan - Gunn, Jimmy, K, Michigan 209. Sacramento - Stewart, Tracy, OLB, Northwestern 210. Thunder Bay - Morrison, Barry, S, Iowa State 211. Hawk Mountain - Schneider, Deion, K, Alabama A&M 212. Niagara Falls - Derrick, Harvey, TE, SE Missouri St. 213. Fort Wayne - Still, Tim, FB, Michigan State 214. Fort Knox - Pitt, Lance, OLB, Arizona 215. Champaign - Mazur, Donny, OLB, UCLA 216. Louisville - Small, Jesse, WR, Oregon State 217. Napa Valley - Hatton, Ben, OLB, Washington 218. Athens - Pickett, Joey, OLB, Lock Haven 219. Key West - Harrington, Daniel, S, Iowa 220. Death Valley - Roundtree, Damon, DT, Brown 221. Sault Ste. Marie - Schwartz, Kelly, P, Central Washington 222. Little Rock - Burks, Butch, RB, Western Illinois 223. Wheeling - Dillon, Perry, G, Tulsa 224. Providence - Peterson, Dwayne, T, Thomas More

We manage to get C Lonnie Ancheta and RB Tom Murray in the after-draft URFA pickups, which gives us some flexibility.

I'm going to continue filling in the roster, and will post revised game files shortly.
Old 04-05-2003, 10:00 AM   #148
QuikSand
lolzcat

After my first round of URFA signings, we work out a new deal with WR Matthew Morrell - he will clearly be the centerpiece of our air game for the next few years, a nice step up for the former fifth round selection.

We now have a logjam at flanker - and probably need to move someone over to play split end (to start). Usually, the youngest guy makes sense, but I don't know if we want to mess with Morrell, who has developed very quickly. Maybe Perea - move him over, take some hit, and have Hill get a fair amount of playing time at split end this year?

With Morrell re-signed, and 52 players on the roster, we now have just about $5.6 million remaining in cap room - just enough to fill in, and maybe re-sign one or two more of our own players.
Old 04-05-2003, 10:12 AM   #149
QuikSand
lolzcat

By the way... when you get the game update, have a quick look at DE Russel Austin. Did this guy have some weird kinf of hug breakout since we signed him to a contract? I don't remember him looking anywhere near this good when he was in teh FA pool. Weird, man, weird.

Look at this guy in your current game before you open the new files... maybe we can isolate when this boom happened.
Old 04-05-2003, 10:14 AM   #150
QuikSand
lolzcat

First updated file: