Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-01-2009, 11:26 AM   #101
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
I'm pretty sure that the Patriots didn't make the playoffs. I however do think that wasn't Cassel's fault and is instead the fault of the Patriots defense however.

oh yay...this again???
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 11:28 AM   #102
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
oh yay...this again???

I apologize, but I don't quite get the reference.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 11:36 AM   #103
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
As a Bronco fan, I love this move. Cassel guided a Playoff caliber team to the playoffs. The Chiefs are no where near a playoff caliber team with no WRs like the Pats had. This is the best trade Ive seen in a long time. Kansas City continues to screw the pooch.
This is the best trade I've seen in a long time too. Our GM got the QB he wanted, Denver's new coach didn't get the QB he wanted and now the QB he wants is whining and wants out. That's a Chiefs fan's trifecta.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 11:38 AM   #104
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
As a Bronco fan, I love this move. Cassel guided a Playoff caliber team to the playoffs. The Chiefs are no where near a playoff caliber team with no WRs like the Pats had. This is the best trade Ive seen in a long time.

Obviously, this is blissful ignorance at its finest. KC has Gonzalez at TE and Bowe had show Pro-Bowl flashes despite the total lack of a decent QB at KC during his short career. Given that KC still has over $50M in open cap for the coming year, it's probably a given that they will acquire a 2nd quality WR to complement Bowe and Gonzalez and actually have a pretty good offense on their hands relatively quickly.

Quote:
Kansas City continues to screw the pooch.

I hardly think that a fan of the team that lost to a 2 win Chiefs team last year and blew a 4 game division lead has much room to talk about 'screwing the pooch'.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 11:39 AM   #105
beargrowlz
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
I'm pretty sure that the Patriots didn't make the playoffs. I however do think that wasn't Cassel's fault and is instead the fault of the Patriots defense however.

Failure to stop Bret Favre on a 4th and 15 in the OT loss to the Jets kept them out.

But look, this is what it is. I thought Cassel's value was roughly around a 1st rounder and they got a 2.2 for him (and Vrabel). Fairly close to what I thought he was worth - though I don't quite understand the deal for Vrabel unless the Pats think he's not worth the $3 mil+ cap hit any longer. I'll miss him (Vrabel), he's one of my favorite players.

I just have to assume the market wasn't there for a big score for the Pats with Cassel. The fact that he ran 88% of his pass plays for the rest of the season from the shotgun after halftime of that Jets loss and that's when his performance picked up significantly basically means any team that dealt for him was going to have to implement the Pats spread system or Cassel's going to have to dramatically improve both his footwork and his read progression. Given that Pioli was the Pats Director of Player Personnel and the Chiefs have a new Head Coach, my guess is they'll try and implement the Pats spread offense.

Good deal for both clubs if the Chiefs use him correctly.

Cheers,
-Bear

[email protected]
TCY Golden Scribe Winner - Bear Goes Home

"The measure of a man's real character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out."
--Thomas B. Macaulay

Last edited by beargrowlz : 03-01-2009 at 11:41 AM.
beargrowlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 11:42 AM   #106
Swaggs
Coordinator

Cutler shouldn't be saying things like that in public, particularly since it sounds like the rumors were more about other teams inquiring about him rather than his being shopped. He should, at least, wait for clarification before running to the press.

But, if at all true, I can understand his frustration. If the team's efforts at improving are focussed on "upgrading" the quarterback position (which is not an area of weakness or likely one they can improve upon unless someone like Brady or Manning or a handful of other untouchables suddenly become available), rather than improving areas that they can actually upgrade through FA or trades, what are they hoping to accomplish? It is doubtful that Cassell performs better than Cutler for Denver, he has less playing experience by far, and it is quite likely that he performs worse and you still have the same problems that kept you from winning during Cutler's tenure. Hopefully, the Denver FO clears things up and lets him know it was about other teams seeking Cutler, rather than their shopping him around.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 12:00 PM   #107
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
I've always wondered if Cutler has the mental toughness to be a real leader. He seems to sulk, bitch and cry very easily and seems pretty immature during the games. This just reinforces the perception.

Hard to argue with his production so far and his physical tools, but I do wonder if the intangibles are there.

funny how all three of those QBS Vince Young, Cutler and Leinart are all having issues of varing degrees with there mental side of their games.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 12:10 PM   #108
kcchief19
Pro Starter

2006 QB Class Wonderlic Scores:
Matt Leinart, 35
Charlie Whitehurst, 33
Jay Cutler, 26
Kellen Clemens, 26
Brodie Croyle, 24
DJ Shockley, 19
Bruce Gradkowski, 19
Tarvaris Jackson, 19
Vince Young, 16

You know, that was one crappy class of quarterbacks.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 12:11 PM   #109
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
funny how all three of those QBS Vince Young, Cutler and Leinart are all having issues of varing degrees with there mental side of their games.

2006: Year of the Mentally Unstable QB?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 12:18 PM   #110
Galaril
Pro Starter

Interesting quote from Cutler and a no comment from Broncos FO:
" I’ve heard I’m still on the trading block.”-Cutler
Old 03-01-2009, 12:26 PM   #111
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

To me, the fact that Pioli especially and McDaniels as well were going hard after Cassel makes me think that he's more than a system QB. These guys would really know. Or maybe they are sure they could make the same system in KC or Denver.
Old 03-01-2009, 01:37 PM   #112
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Didn't Cutler get diagnosed with diabetes last year?

I kid. Every game the Donkeys play, my wife and I await the announcers mentioning this fact.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 02:12 PM   #113
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
The Jay Cutler drinking game:

During the broadcast if they mention the word(s)

Control - drink
"Under Control" - finish your drink
Sugar/Sweet - drink
"Blood Sugar" - finish your drink
Vanderbilt - drink
"Vanderbilt Commodores" - finish your drink
Old 03-01-2009, 02:36 PM   #114
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
A first and a third or fourth I bet you would do it. Lions are dumb enough to make that move.

Well, the old Lions, yes. I'm not sure this group would. I'm really hoping they don't. Me being me, I load that team up with as much supporting cast as you can get and then add in the QB because he'll have a much better chance to succeed. Currently, the defense can't keep it close and the line can't protect anything.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 03:46 PM   #115
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
Well, the old Lions, yes. I'm not sure this group would. I'm really hoping they don't. Me being me, I load that team up with as much supporting cast as you can get and then add in the QB because he'll have a much better chance to succeed. Currently, the defense can't keep it close and the line can't protect anything.

Sorry no disrespect meant.
Old 03-01-2009, 03:49 PM   #116
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Why would Pats turn down 12th pick for Cassel? - NFL Nation - ESPN
Quote:
This one defies logic, but a source I really trust tells me it's true: The Broncos were willing to offer their own first-round pick (12th overall) to the Patriots for Cassel. Obviously, it was conditional upon Cutler being traded and Tampa Bay was the most likely destination, the Bucs willing to part with their first- and third-round picks.
But Belichick never embraced a trade with the Broncos, even though it was a head-scratcher on the value part (second-rounder versus a first-rounder). It suggests two or three speculative thoughts
This whole trade is bizarre. I'm siding with the fact there was another player from the Pats involved they didn't want to give up. Either that or he didn't like the financial value at 12 or he didn't want to put Cassel and McDaniels together for fear of a strong AFC opponent. Beats me.

Of course ESPN could just be full of shit.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 04:23 PM   #117
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Ooh! Ooh! I vote for the last sentence!

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 04:58 PM   #118
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
Why would Pats turn down 12th pick for Cassel? - NFL Nation - ESPN

This whole trade is bizarre. I'm siding with the fact there was another player from the Pats involved they didn't want to give up. Either that or he didn't like the financial value at 12 or he didn't want to put Cassel and McDaniels together for fear of a strong AFC opponent. Beats me.

Of course ESPN could just be full of shit.

Wow, things have gotten real interesting in the AFC especially in the West. Cutler is long gone from the way this went down the Broncos have no choice but to trade him plus it appears McDaniels has zero confidence in this gu. I mean shit he was willing to trade a #3 overall for Cassell which says alot about what at least McDaniels thinks about Cassell.

Last edited by Galaril : 03-01-2009 at 04:59 PM.
Old 03-01-2009, 05:04 PM   #119
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

This is all happened so quick. I still think Cutler will get over it. The question is if McDaniels truly just doesn't think he's the guy.

Old 03-01-2009, 06:40 PM   #120
Swaggs
Coordinator

I know a lot of folks seem to think that being in Bill Belichick's presence makes you a 100X better of a coach, but McDaniels is only 32-years old and has a pretty limited resume overall. He might do really well, but I don't know if giving him over-riding personnel authority is the greatest idea at this point of his career.

At this point, I would think that McDaniels is far more easy to replace than Cutler.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 07:34 PM   #121
Logan
Head Coach

Yep, Mangini was said to be the next stud coach in waiting.

Jets fans are still waiting.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 07:41 PM   #122
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Yep, Mangini was said to be the next stud coach in waiting.

Jets fans are still waiting.

None of Bill's assistants have done particularly well so far. Mangini, Weis, Crennel, pretty much all failures to this point.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 08:32 PM   #123
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

The Broncos are my second favorite team and becoming more so since I moved to Colorado. But if they had been stupid enough to trade Cutler (unless it was to the Vikings) I would be rooting against them. My Cutler jersey is supposed to be good for the next 10 years dammit.
Old 03-01-2009, 09:08 PM   #124
Taur
High School Varsity

Cutler seems to be built more for a slow veritcal offense that Shanahan ran in Denver that relied on first setting up the run and then passing. Assuming McDaniels will be bringing the PAtriots offense to Denver he is going to need a QB that has a quick release , can hit those slant patenrs and quick outs, and that throws the ball first to set up the run later.

So, Mcdaniels trying to bring in a QB who fits and understands his system makes since. I personally think Cutler will never be able to run Denver's new offense.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:06 AM   #125
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
None of Bill's assistants have done particularly well so far. Mangini, Weis, Crennel, pretty much all failures to this point.

So was Bill in his first stint as head coach

Last edited by fantom1979 : 03-02-2009 at 01:06 AM.
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 09:49 AM   #126
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ncy/index.html

I think King has the best summary of the trade yet.

And Bill would have been fine in his first stint, but he got caught in the middle of a ton of BS happening over his head. They were getting better every year and the staff was all happy , until Modell blew shit up.