Hall Of Famer

Quentin Demps is an idiot.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 03:26 PM   #103
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekneek View Post
Surprised they didn't huddle together to then announce that they've blown another call.

I'd love to see know it alls like you out there
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 03:26 PM   #104
Yellow5
High School Varsity

Wow that was bullshit.
Old 01-18-2009, 03:26 PM   #105
Jas_lov
College Starter

The Eagles are now self destructing. They've gotten gift after gift and they're still down by 15. I guess we'll have to wait for Baltimore-Pitt to get good efforts by both teams.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 03:27 PM   #106
Phototropic
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
It should be reviewable, but I thought it pretty clearly touched the Philly player in the leg while he was out of bounds. Tough play but don't see how you can really blame the officials. Just another wierd rule book quirk that will get fixed in the offseason.

You would have thought by now they would have gone through the list of plays that can and can't be reviewed, and sorted this out however. Seems like every season since replay came in, we've had a couple of these WTF plays where nobody is sure why it's not reviewable.

I thought it touched his arm. I hate the non-reviewable plays when the whistle blows, but I couldn't see anything to overturn the call one way or the other with any certainty.
Phototropic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 03:27 PM   #107
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Gotta make that interception.. and that definitely wasn't a catch.
Old 01-18-2009, 03:28 PM   #108
Thomkal
Head Coach

Man that was so stupid by Demps
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 03:28 PM   #109
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Gotta make that interception.. and that definitely wasn't a catch.

Yes and Yes. When Warner threw it I thought it was a for sure INT.
Old 01-18-2009, 03:31 PM   #110
Northwood_DK
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy View Post
I'm wondering what the record is for TD receptions in the playoffs (one year). I'm guessing he is closing in on this mark.

Jerry Rice had 6 in the 1989 playoffs but not sure if thats the record

Last edited by Northwood_DK : 01-18-2009 at 03:32 PM.
Northwood_DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 03:32 PM   #111
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
I think this is just another manifestation of the long-standing principle that once the whistle blows, the play must be over, period.

Ah. I can see the point of that, but it would be nice if they waited to be sure. I have the impression that they have often blown the whistle based on the assumption that this play is going just the way it did the last 99 times they saw this happen. Human error from that causes mistakes to be made in just about any walk of life.

Last edited by Tekneek : 01-18-2009 at 03:32 PM.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 03:33 PM   #112
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
What is the rationale for not letting every play be challenged? Since you have a limited number of challenges available, it certainly wouldn't have anything to do with the time involved.

It's exactly as Quiksand explained above. If the refs blow a play dead you can't expect all the players to continue going full speed, that gets really dangerous and would lead to some nasty injuries where someone stops at the whistle and relaxes and gets destroyed by someone else still playing full speed. Additionally you would have all kinds of game management problems where players were constantly continuing to play after the whistle, just in case. So if a play is blown dead on the field, there's just no way to review a play based on what happens afterwards.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 03:34 PM   #113
Radii
Head Coach

I guess I don't feel as frustrated about the Panthers refusal to cover Larry Fitzgerald. The Eagles appear to not want to see him covered either.
Old 01-18-2009, 03:35 PM   #114
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
I'd love to see know it alls like you out there

Why? Are you one of the types who says you have to be an official to be critical of one? Anyone who criticizes the President of the United States should have to be one first?

I wouldn't want to be an official for a league that doesn't want to get it right on every single play. If we got a call wrong, I would want the chance to fix it right then. Not hide behind some rule that it isn't reviewable and trot along as if all is well.
Old 01-18-2009, 03:36 PM   #115
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

The Cardinals have pretty much played a flawless first half. Congrats to them.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 03:36 PM   #116
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
It's exactly as Quiksand explained above.

I didn't think about the whistle blows the play dead part of the argument until I read Quiksand's response and replied to it.
Old 01-18-2009, 03:38 PM   #117
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I guess I don't feel as frustrated about the Panthers refusal to cover Larry Fitzgerald. The Eagles appear to not want to see him covered either.

I'm guessing it is less of a refusal than an inability .
Old 01-18-2009, 03:40 PM   #118
Thomkal
Head Coach

god my Cards are 30 mins away from the Super Bowl-unbelievable
Old 01-18-2009, 03:40 PM   #119
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post

It appears to be much more difficult to do than it seems.
Old 01-18-2009, 03:40 PM   #120
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post

Perhaps on some plays, but if that was entirely the case I would at least expect to see two defensive backs in Fitzgerald's dust on occasion instead of just one with no help anywhere in sight.
Old 01-18-2009, 03:40 PM   #121
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

A long way from when the Cardinals quit in the snowstorm against the Pats, huh Thomkal?
Old 01-18-2009, 03:41 PM   #122
Danny
Head Coach

Despite not having the longevity of others, I think Kurt Warner is putting himself over the top in regards to getting into the hall of fame.
Danny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 03:42 PM   #123
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
I didn't think about the whistle blows the play dead part of the argument until I read Quiksand's response and replied to it.

Yeah, me either. Of course that makes sense.

I'm still a big proponent of the refs swallowing their whistles until they are 100% sure however. If the ref in this situations isn't willing to bet his career that he saw the ball go out of bounds, he shouldn't blow the damn whistle. There should be a league mandate to that effect. Players get hurt in many worse situations (free plays on offside, fair catch punts etc..), I don't think letting them work the call out on the field is going to be armageddon.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 03:43 PM   #124
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Why? Are you one of the types who says you have to be an official to be critical of one? Anyone who criticizes the President of the United States should have to be one first?

I wouldn't want to be an official for a league that doesn't want to get it right on every single play. If we got a call wrong, I would want the chance to fix it right then. Not hide behind some rule that it isn't reviewable and trot along as if all is well.

The rules are the rules. The whistle sounded and when that happens the play ends. Right or wrong that is the rule.

You get the best view of the call and don't have to make a split second decision; you sit there and get to see replays then make a comment on the call. Then when they wait to make the correct call you bitch about them taking their time. So what do you want them to do? Make the call right away and then mess it up so that you can bitch some more?

I will never bitch about an official making a wrong judgement call because we all see plays differently. If they interpret a rule wrong then it is a problem. The RULE states when the whistle blows the play is dead. See Ed Hoculi earlier this year, you don't think if he had one play in his entire life he'd want to have over again it wouldn't be the one in the SD/Denver game?

They make mistakes too. I thought there was a PI call on Avant, but hey sometimes it doesn't get called.

Last edited by Dr. Sak : 01-18-2009 at 03:46 PM.
Old 01-18-2009, 03:43 PM   #125
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I'm still a big proponent of the refs swallowing their whistles until they are 100% sure however. If the ref in this situations isn't willing to bet his career that he saw the ball go out of bounds, he shouldn't blow the damn whistle. There should be a league mandate to that effect. Players get hurt in many worse situations (free plays on offside, fair catch punts etc..), I don't think letting them work the call out on the field is going to be armageddon.

yeah. absolutely.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 03:43 PM   #126
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Also, the Cards really have Jim Johnson's number. Gotta take my hats off to them, they played a superb first half.
Old 01-18-2009, 03:44 PM   #127
MrDNA
High School Varsity

I have to admit, I didn't think Arizona would even beat Atlanta, let alone BLOW OUT what I thought were superior teams. If they win today, I hope like heck they go on and win the whole thing.
MrDNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 03:46 PM   #128
bhlloy
Coordinator

Let me clarify my comments a bit in light of Dr. Sak's post (which I think makes some pretty good points) Of course referees are going to make mistakes. Nobody expects them to be perfect.

However, my perception is that right now, the prevailing attitude is "if I think it's a dead play, but I'm not sure, blow it dead asap". I'd like that to change to "I think it's a dead play but I'm not sure, let's see what happens on the field and let replay fix it"
Old 01-18-2009, 03:47 PM   #129
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Perhaps on some plays, but if that was entirely the case I would at least expect to see two defensive backs in Fitzgerald's dust on occasion instead of just one with no help anywhere in sight.

Well, with Boldin healthy and playing, you really double Fitzgerald at your own risk. And remember, you say you may want to take the chance, but Boldin is a Top 10 receiver in his own right.
Old 01-18-2009, 03:47 PM   #130
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

If you tell refs to only make calls that are reviewable, you might as well take them off the field altogether. They are there to make the calls they see, and the challenge process will correct as many mistakes as possible.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 03:48 PM   #131
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Also, the Cards really have Jim Johnson's number. Gotta take my hats off to them, they played a superb first half.

+1

I don't have a dog in this race, just rooted for the Cardinals cuz of Boldin doing so well for me in fantasy, but I've been really impressed with their first half game plan today.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Old 01-18-2009, 03:48 PM   #132
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
If you tell refs to only make calls that are reviewable, you might as well take them off the field altogether. They are there to make the calls they see, and the challenge process will correct as many mistakes as possible.

Not sure how you got that from my post. Maybe I wasn't clear enough.
Old 01-18-2009, 03:48 PM   #133
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

However, my perception is that right now, the prevailing attitude is "if I think it's a dead play, but I'm not sure, blow it dead asap". I'd like that to change to "I think it's a dead play but I'm not sure, let's see what happens on the field and let replay fix it"

Right, no doubt he should've swallowed the whistle. Stuff like that happens, but when it is followed up by them trying to get a call right and taking their time only to have someone complain about that is when it gets annoying.

Last edited by Dr. Sak : 01-18-2009 at 03:49 PM.
Old 01-18-2009, 03:49 PM   #134
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
A long way from when the Cardinals quit in the snowstorm against the Pats, huh Thomkal?

Light years away Fozz, just unbelievable how they have come on in the playoffs.
Old 01-18-2009, 03:50 PM   #135
Comey
College Starter

It is painstakingly easy to see what the Cardinals are doing. The Eagles are not doing a good job of disguising their blitzes. Kurt Warner is throwing it to the blitz, where there is a lack of coverage. It is painful to watch, and stunned that adjustments have not been made.

The first possession of the second half is the ballgame. Eagles have to get a touchdown to have a shot of dragging themselves back in the game.

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 03:51 PM   #136
Comey
College Starter

By the way, the Cardinals deserve every piece of praise for their play in the first half. They outplayed the Eagles in every way, shape, and form.

Old 01-18-2009, 03:51 PM   #137
Thomkal
Head Coach

the head of the referrees said the ball was clearly in bounds and that the refs at the game missed the call
Old 01-18-2009, 03:52 PM   #138
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Not sure how you got that from my post. Maybe I wasn't clear enough.

No, I get what you are saying. At NFL speeds though, there isn't time to see everything perfectly and to evaluate the level of certainty before making a call. The ref that blew the whistle on the kickoff believed he saw the play exactly as he called it. Finding out later you are wrong doesn't mean that you weren't certain when you made the call.
Old 01-18-2009, 03:53 PM   #139
Comey
College Starter

Double dola (probably not at this point)--

That no-call on Avant (the no-PI call) has played *huge*, given how the rest of the half has shaken out. I am not at all sure the Eagles would be in the game if that call had happened...but the way things have played out since that third down, that no-call was HUGE.

Old 01-18-2009, 03:54 PM   #140
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
the head of the referrees said the ball was clearly in bounds and that the refs at the game missed the call

I hard that too on the halftime show. I would agree that the ball clearly landed in bounds, but I disagree that it clearly didn't hit the Eagle after the bounce. The only thing an allowed Cardinal challenge would have done in the case was change it from Eagles ball on the 26 to Eagles ball on the 40 after a kickoff out of bounds penalty.
Old 01-18-2009, 03:56 PM   #141
Northwood_DK
College Benchwarmer

That got to hurt.
Northwood_DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 03:57 PM   #142
Thomkal
Head Coach

yes! another TD and I think this game is over
Old 01-18-2009, 03:59 PM   #143
Comey
College Starter

Good game, Arizona. Good luck in the SB.

This Eagles' era has to be one of the most frustrating in the history of the league...right up there with the 90s Buffalo teams, the 80s Broncos teams (probably more the Browns), and the 70s Vikings squads. Usually a good team year in and year out, get deep into the playoffs when they're there, and no payoff to show for it.

Sigh. The Phillies' win seems so long ago. Hell, my trip to the Meadowlands last week seems forever in the past.

Old 01-18-2009, 04:02 PM   #144
Thomkal
Head Coach

oh man, too bad there Boldin would have been gone
Old 01-18-2009, 04:03 PM   #145
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Right, no doubt he should've swallowed the whistle. Stuff like that happens, but when it is followed up by them trying to get a call right and taking their time only to have someone complain about that is when it gets annoying.

My comment was made out of frustration over the bad kickoff call. I've made it abundantly clear that I want the right calls made, and I wouldn't care if getting it right made the game take a lot longer either.

Last edited by Tekneek : 01-18-2009 at 04:05 PM.
Old 01-18-2009, 04:13 PM   #146
Thomkal
Head Coach

crap, it was looking awfully good there when it was 3rd and 19
Old 01-18-2009, 04:17 PM   #147
Thomkal
Head Coach

thanks akers!
Old 01-18-2009, 04:19 PM   #148
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comey View Post
Good game, Arizona. Good luck in the SB.

This Eagles' era has to be one of the most frustrating in the history of the league...right up there with the 90s Buffalo teams, the 80s Broncos teams (probably more the Browns), and the 70s Vikings squads. Usually a good team year in and year out, get deep into the playoffs when they're there, and no payoff to show for it.

Sigh. The Phillies' win seems so long ago. Hell, my trip to the Meadowlands last week seems forever in the past.

This game isn't over yet. But, I do agree with your earlier posts. The no-call on the Avant play where there was clear PI was huge and I agree with your post that the Cards deserve all of the credit for a great 1st half.

Oh yeah, that Akers kick really hurts.
Old 01-18-2009, 04:20 PM   #149
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

My kids are watching Blue Clues...so I am just following along online on CBS until the Steelers start.

The description for the last play:

Quote:
Last Play: D.Akers kicks -33 yards from PHI 35 to PHI 2, out of bounds.

I am trying to make up in my head what could have possibly happened...and i got nothing.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 04:22 PM   #150
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Here come the Eagles