Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-08-2009, 08:12 PM   #101
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekneek View Post
It is hard for me to give much of an opinion on this. Can you detail the scholarships a little more so I can look into this and see what I think about it?

Go on any scholarship search engine. You can literally find thousands of scholarships that are for minorities only. I did a term paper on the reverse discrimination in higher education. I wasn't able to find any scholarships where one of the requirements was that you had to be white. There were two that were worth $500 (essentially a book scholarship) that faced such heavy criticism that they are no longer offered. These scholarships for minorities sometimes are worth an entire college tuition.

Here's one scholarship search site. hxxps://www.collegedata.com/cs/search/scholar/scholar_search_tmpl.jhtml

You can see where you can select your ethnicity or heritage. There is no white option. However, if you click on Black/African-American and say you're a male and from Illinois. 263 scholarships show up. That's one scholarship site that I googled and searched in about a minute. For my paper I went to I think 8 different scholarship search sites and it was the same thing.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 08:13 PM   #102
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post
How do you know he was a thug?

The initial police response was to youths fighting on a train, he was part of the group that was removed from the train. You're are definitely free to assume that he was an innocent bystander, I find that to be unlikely.

Quote:
The fact people are rioting doesn't change the fact he was killed in cold blood.

It doesn't change the fact he was killed. It does greatly impact my ability to be remotely as upset about that death as I am disgusted by the fact that the subsequent mob wasn't napalmed into an unrecognizable ash heap.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:14 PM   #103
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Quote:
That's a two way street... more often then not blacks aren't on the receiving end of benefits.

Do you feel that it is right for someone to be denied an opportunity because of the color of their skin?
Old 01-08-2009, 08:15 PM   #104
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinifan999 View Post
You can see where you can select your ethnicity or heritage. There is no white option. However, if you click on Black/African-American and say you're a male and from Illinois. 263 scholarships show up. That's one scholarship site that I googled and searched in about a minute. For my paper I went to I think 8 different scholarship search sites and it was the same thing.

I don't like it.

However, given that somebody in this thread already stated that minorities are incarcerated at higher rates than whites because of their level of education, it is clear why these kinds of things are needed.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 08:15 PM   #105
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
The initial police response was to youths fighting on a train, he was part of the group that was removed from the train. You're are definitely free to assume that he was an innocent bystander, I find that to be unlikely.

It doesn't change the fact he was killed. It does greatly impact my ability to be remotely as upset about that death as I am disgusted by the fact that the subsequent mob wasn't napalmed into an unrecognizable ash heap.

Old 01-08-2009, 08:15 PM   #106
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Either way it goes the black guy would be in custody no question about it and that's not even giving a bias POV. Also there is a history within the black community of suffering police brutality, I can not say the same is true in the white community.

This is in no way my personal opinion, but maybe black people are treated this way because people see them rioting and destroying things, which gives the perception of a "dangerous and uneducated" group?
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 08:15 PM   #107
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Do you feel that it is right for someone to be denied an opportunity because of the color of their skin?

Only if they're white.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:16 PM   #108
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:

Cool. Let's kill more people. How many should die?
Old 01-08-2009, 08:17 PM   #109
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Wag if you like, but you'll never have anyone be more honest with you than I just was.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:17 PM   #110
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
This is in no way my personal opinion, but maybe black people are treated this way because people see them rioting and destroying things, which gives the perception of a "dangerous and uneducated" group?

Not sure that white people need a riot in 2009 in response to an incident like this to hold such an opinion. That sad view of minorities has been around for longer than this nation has existed.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:18 PM   #111
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Cool. Let's kill more people. How many should die?

We could start with that particular mob, the rest we'll just take on a case by case basis m'kay.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:18 PM   #112
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:

No. That's why I dislike people like Al Sharpton and his elk for stopping people from giving scholarships to white only students. I am not a fan of affirmative action either although I know why it exists. You should be entitled to a scholarship if you meet the criteria set forth by the people giving it away. If someone wants to make a white only scholarship then that is their right and no one should or can complain. You got the shaft in that situation and the guys who threaten you are stupid assholes and ignorant.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:19 PM   #113
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Wag if you like, but you'll never have anyone be more honest with you than I just was.

You want honest? If they were white you wouldn't say that shit.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:20 PM   #114
Bad-example
College Starter

If the cop were black and the victim white, I have no trouble believing the events following would be no different, except the riot wouldn't have happened and this thread wouldn't exist.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 08:20 PM   #115
st.cronin
General Manager

People, I just want to say, you know, can we all get along? Can we get along? Can we stop making it, making it horrible for the older people and the kids?...It’s just not right. It’s not right. It’s not, it’s not going to change anything. We’ll, we’ll get our justice....Please, we can get along here. We all can get along. I mean, we’re all stuck here for a while. Let’s try to work it out. Let’s try to beat it. Let’s try to beat it. Let’s try to work it out.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 08:21 PM   #116
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:

That's what is portrayed but I know its not true. It will take time to overcome those perceptions which exist throughout the world as well. (That's my observation at least)
Old 01-08-2009, 08:21 PM   #117
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
As of June 30, 2007, the incarceration rate in state or federal prison or jail for men was 1,406 per 100,000 residents, for women 136 per 100,000 residents. The rate for white men was 773 per 100,000, for black men 4,618 per 100,000, for Hispanic men 1,747 per 100,000. The rate for white women was 95 per 100,000, for black women 348 per 100,000, and for Hispanic women 146 per 100,000.
Source:
Sabol, William J., PhD, Couture, Heather, Bureau of Justice Statistics, Prison Inmates at Midyear 2007 (Washington, DC: US Department of Justice, June 2008), NCJ221944, p. 7, Table 10.

The data would seem to indicate that minorities are more likely to be incarcerated than whites.

At least where I live, it is because minorities commit more of the crimes. I've seen more crimes commited by minorities in my area than by whites. Most of the crimes I have seen commited have been assaults. In my neighborhood, most of the break-ins are by minority kids (both hispanic and black). Look at the crime demographics and most of it is in the minority areas.

I think the problem is not race, the problem is class and upbringing. I know plenty of minorities here that have not done anything wrong, but most of those came from stable homes.

Quote:
Did I say it was because of their race? No. I merely shared some data.

No, you just said that minorities are more likely to be incarcerated than whites. Which wouldn't need to be mentioned unless you were saying it was about race.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 08:23 PM   #118
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-example View Post
If the cop were black and the victim white, I have no trouble believing the events following would be no different, except the riot wouldn't have happened and this thread wouldn't exist.

If the cop was black and did it I would hope he is put on death row as well. The riot wouldn't have happened but if he was allowed to walk away then a protest and a few letters to the mayor would have made sure his ass was in jail by sundown.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:24 PM   #119
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
You want honest? If they were white you wouldn't say that shit.

Seems likely you'd be surprised.

Off the top of my head I'm pretty sure I clearly advocated the same response to, just for one example, the virtually all white protesters at the economic summit in the northwest a few years back.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:24 PM   #120
Bad-example
College Starter

Quote:
No. That's why I dislike people like Al Sharpton and his elk...

Dump on Big Al if you want, but the poor elk doesn't deserve it.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:24 PM   #121
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Go on any scholarship search engine. You can literally find thousands of scholarships that are for minorities only. I did a term paper on the reverse discrimination in higher education. I wasn't able to find any scholarships where one of the requirements was that you had to be white. There were two that were worth $500 (essentially a book scholarship) that faced such heavy criticism that they are no longer offered. These scholarships for minorities sometimes are worth an entire college tuition.

Here's one scholarship search site. hxxps://www.collegedata.com/cs/search/scholar/scholar_search_tmpl.jhtml

Look at it this way. When this country finally got around to giving blacks equal rights in this country, they had no money, no business, no land, and no education. They were thrust into a world with severe disadvantages that they still face today. It's like going into a football game, spotting the other team 40 points and expecting the other team to compete.

So is it really horrible that they make specific scholarships for minorities so that they may have a chance to catch up?
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 08:24 PM   #122
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
People, I just want to say, you know, can we all get along?

Nope.

Thanks for playing though.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:25 PM   #123
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
No, you just said that minorities are more likely to be incarcerated than whites. Which wouldn't need to be mentioned unless you were saying it was about race.

I said the rate is certainly higher, making it more likely. Are you questioning the data?
Old 01-08-2009, 08:25 PM   #124
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Warhammer I wrote a paper where I argued that racism is stupid and that black and white people have alot in common with each other(class wise) then they do with the rich or power elite.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:27 PM   #125
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:

Off the top of my head I'm pretty sure I clearly advocated the same response to, just for one example, the virtually all white protesters at the economic summit in the northwest a few years back.

Jon you maybe right... but the impression I get seems to be opposite.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:30 PM   #126
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

One man's riot is another man's Boston Tea Party. It's all a matter of how you perceive the events and how they affect you.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:30 PM   #127
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
One man's riot is another man's Boston Tea Party. It's all a matter of how you perceive the events and how they affect you.

Old 01-08-2009, 08:31 PM   #128
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Quote:
So is it really horrible that they make specific scholarships for minorities so that they may have a chance to catch up?

Yes. It's exactly what everyone preaches against. It's denying someone an equal opportunity at a benefit because of the color of their skin. Two wrongs do not make a right.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:31 PM   #129
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

Unless I'm mistaken, the only thing damaged in the boston tea party was the tea and one lock.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 08:32 PM   #130
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:

Quite honestly, in my area, this goes a long way towards perpetuating things. Everytime there is a huge fight at a school, its at the minority schools in the area. Probably 90% of the weapons at school incidents are at the minority schools or concern minority students.

There was an incident here last year where something like 8 people were killed in a house. It was the result of a guy having an argument with his brother over a coat (could be wrong about the coat, but I think that was what it was about). Guy comes back with a gun, shoots his brother, and then kills the rest of the people in the house because they were witnesses, this included something like 4 kids.

You have incidents like that in an area, and at some point, it goes from being anecdotes, to a trend, to a belief in the way people act. I'm not saying this is right, but this is exactly how perceptions are made.

The fact of the matter is that there are some universal truths out there that are true regardless of other factors. Murder, malicious intent, hurting people for the sake of hurting people, are all things that are wrong. I don't care what your background is, what your family situation is, you treat people the way you want to be treated. You want respect, give respect. You want love, you give love. You want understanding, understand.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:32 PM   #131
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Look at it this way. When this country finally got around to giving blacks equal rights in this country, they had no money, no business, no land, and no education. They were thrust into a world with severe disadvantages that they still face today. It's like going into a football game, spotting the other team 40 points and expecting the other team to compete.

How about this, suck it up, change the attitude that everyone is out to get you, and try harder... For F*cks Sake!
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 08:33 PM   #132
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
How about this, suck it up, change the attitude that everyone is out to get you, and try harder... For F*cks Sake!

Easy for you to say. You aren't the team down 40-0.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:34 PM   #133
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Yes. It's exactly what everyone preaches against. It's denying someone an equal opportunity at a benefit because of the color of their skin. Two wrongs do not make a right.

Black, white, brown, whatever, it's racism if you don't accept them all.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:35 PM   #134
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Easy for you to say. You aren't the team down 40-0.

You know what I was on a 0-17 baseball team that lost many of it's games 1-10 when I was high school we didn't blame it on the other team and we still continued to try to win.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:36 PM   #135
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
I said the rate is certainly higher, making it more likely. Are you questioning the data?

Not at all, I completely believe the data, I am questioning your reason for bringing it into the argument if you're not saying that there is any bias in the system.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:38 PM   #136
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:

JeBus Thrist you're clueless.

Last edited by Noop : 01-08-2009 at 08:38 PM.
Noop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 08:39 PM   #137
Bad-example
College Starter

Quote:
JeBus Thrist you're clueless.

Priceless.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:42 PM   #138
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-example View Post
Priceless.

Just so you know I meant to spell it Jebus Thrist.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:43 PM   #139
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
You know what I was on a 0-17 baseball team that lost many of it's games 1-10 when I was high school we didn't blame it on the other team and we still continued to try to win.

It has nothing to do with blaming people or trying harder. It's about one race that put the other race at a severe disadvantage in society. Then that race complains when people want to help level the playing field a bit.

When the economic and educational gaps between whites and blacks are fixed, I would be against minority scholarships as much as you are.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:43 PM   #140
Bad-example
College Starter

Quote:
Just so you know I meant to spell it Jebus Thrist.

I knew
Old 01-08-2009, 08:50 PM   #141
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Quote:

When the economic and educational gaps between whites and blacks are fixed, I would be against minority scholarships as much as you are.

There are poor people and stupid people of every race.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:51 PM   #142
Jonathan Ezarik
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Are you talking about the Battle of Seattle back in '99? Protests by leftists, anarchists, labor unions, environmentalists, etc.? Yeah, I can totally see you jizzing in your pants over the thoughts of napalming them.
Jonathan Ezarik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 08:53 PM   #143
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

So your belief is that blacks are poorer and less educated because of the type of melanin in their body? Nothing to do with not having access to land, jobs, schools, or money for the first 200 years of the country's existence?
Old 01-08-2009, 09:14 PM   #144
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

The sad thing about this issue is that I really don't think it had anything to do with race. It should be an issue with the police. Their incompetence, callousness, and cover-up is what people should be upset about.

Most of these scenarios have little to do with race. They are about a police department that is hell bent on protecting their own, even if their own happens to fuck up. Cut out that unquestioned loyalty between cops and these instance will dramatically drop.

There is absolutely no reason this guy should be walking the streets.

Last edited by RainMaker : 01-08-2009 at 09:15 PM.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:28 PM   #145
Klinglerware
College Starter

Quote:

Meh. So long as legacy admissions policies are in place (which disproportionately benefit rich white people since old money families have the longest track record of college attendance in our country), I really don't mind preferential admissions for lower income whites and minorities.

Incidentally, you are wrong about white guys getting the shaft in the college admissions process-you just need to know where to look. At historically black colleges, white applicants are more likely to be accepted and get better aid packages than black applicants with similar academic credentials. As an aside, many colleges are hurting for male applicants these days, especially at small liberal arts schools (which tend to attract more women). So you stand a good chance of getting in there. It's all about supply and demand.
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 09:34 PM   #146
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
Not at all, I completely believe the data, I am questioning your reason for bringing it into the argument if you're not saying that there is any bias in the system.

It was in support of the statement that I quoted from Noop.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:47 PM   #147
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ezarik View Post
Are you talking about the Battle of Seattle back in '99?

Has it really been that long?

Hasn't there been another similar deal since then though?
Old 01-08-2009, 09:53 PM   #148
Klinglerware
College Starter

Quote:
The sad thing about this issue is that I really don't think it had anything to do with race. It should be an issue with the police. Their incompetence, callousness, and cover-up is what people should be upset about.

Most of these scenarios have little to do with race. They are about a police department that is hell bent on protecting their own, even if their own happens to fuck up. Cut out that unquestioned loyalty between cops and these instance will dramatically drop.

There is absolutely no reason this guy should be walking the streets.

I agree, though there might be an element of race at play, the fundamental issue is incompetence.

I do wonder though if the real issue is inadequate funding. No money for salaries attracts lower quality recruits. No money for training results in badly trained cops who were low quality to begin with.
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 10:13 PM   #149
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Is it ironic that MLK's birthday is coming up soon? Whatever happened to that guy? He sure gets quoted a lot, and everyone seems to respect him, but what ever happened to his spirit?
Old 01-08-2009, 10:17 PM   #150
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Noop, you're in law school, right?
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote