Hall Of Famer

Pac-10 Power!
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 11:15 PM   #102
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
Don't look now..but the much-maligned (by myself, even) PAC-10 is 3-0 in bowl season so far!

Go PAC!

I don't know why that is so surprising. Arizona was favored over Brigham Young, Cal was a huge favorite over Miami, and Oregon (Pac Ten #2) kicked off as a 1 point favorite over Oklahoma State (Big XII South #4).
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 12:42 AM   #103
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Vic View Post
I don't know why that is so surprising. Arizona was favored over Brigham Young, Cal was a huge favorite over Miami, and Oregon (Pac Ten #2) kicked off as a 1 point favorite over Oklahoma State (Big XII South #4).

The way that the PAC-10 performed OOC this season would not have lead me to believe the conference would win over half its bowl games.
Old 12-31-2008, 07:39 AM   #104
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

And the way people had been talking up the Big XII, it seemed Oklahoma State should have kicked the tar out of Oregon. After all, Oklahoma State played Texas tough.
Old 12-31-2008, 04:49 PM   #105
miked
College Starter

The Sun Bowl got what it wanted. An overrated team that got shutout in a snoozer 3-0 game. Simply dreadful to watch, but hey, Pitt has a history there or some BS.
Old 12-31-2008, 04:51 PM   #106
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
The Sun Bowl got what it wanted. An overrated team that got shutout in a snoozer 3-0 game. Simply dreadful to watch, but hey, Pitt has a history there or some BS.

Sure, ugly game, but it was close

Now onto KU and Minnesota, which should have some offense. Naturally, it's on... the NFL Network?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 12-31-2008 at 04:52 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 05:00 PM   #107
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post

Agreed -- I was bummed that WVU didn't get the Sun Bowl, but was trying to be a good BE fan and root for Pitt, but I just couldn't do it. I know Pitt will be the in-vogue pick for the BE next season, but as long as they have no QB and Wanny as the head coach, it is hard to take them seriously. They are playing in a stadium with terrible, with an inept QB, in a defensive battle, and they only gave the ball to McCoy 15 times before the 4th quarter. Pretty amazing.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 05:05 PM   #108
Galaxy
Coordinator

What was the deal with Oregon State wearing their home jerseys (in which they got charged a TO)? Any reason behind it?
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 05:08 PM   #109
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

TD Kansas! Kickoff goes out of bounds, next play, Reesing rolls out of pressure, 7-0!

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 12-31-2008 at 05:10 PM.
Old 12-31-2008, 05:12 PM   #110
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

And now, 2 plays later, Minnesota is less than 10 yards from their own TD

SI

Old 12-31-2008, 05:14 PM   #111
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

7-7 now, less than 2 minutes gone

SI

Old 12-31-2008, 05:17 PM   #112
Galaxy
Coordinator

What channel is the KU-Minnesota game on?
Old 12-31-2008, 05:20 PM   #113
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

NFL Network, since all the ESPNs are busy with a cheerleading competition or something

SI

Old 12-31-2008, 05:22 PM   #114
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
NFL Network, since all the ESPNs are busy with a cheerleading competition or something

SI

Damn.
Old 12-31-2008, 05:46 PM   #115
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Kansas gets stopped but then Minnesota scores and Kansas answers: 14-14 with a few seconds left in the 1st quarter

SI

Old 12-31-2008, 06:06 PM   #116
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I know during Big XII season, we can't get close to Texas money for the refs. However, apparently, we can outbid Minnesota for them

Close late hit penalty on the kickoff. Then a questionable "delay of game" penalty against Minnesota's bench. And a drive extending pass interference that looked a little touchy. However, they never showed a replay so I can't tell for sure.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 12-31-2008 at 06:09 PM.
Old 12-31-2008, 06:27 PM   #117
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

TD Kansas, 28-14. Desmond Briscoe, our leading WR this year with over 1200 yards (tho I'd argue Kerry Meier is our "clutch" WR), has 10 catches for 147 yards and 2 TDs in the first half, including 4 for 9, 9, 12, and 11 this last drive.

SI

Old 12-31-2008, 06:29 PM   #118
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Big Ten could be looking at 0-3 with very few games where you go, "Yeah, they will win that one" left.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 06:36 PM   #119
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Reesing throws a pick on a hail mary to end the half, but that's the only black mark on his evening as he's 19 of 22 for 221 and 4 TDs. 28-14, Kansas over Minnesota.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 12-31-2008 at 06:37 PM.
Old 12-31-2008, 06:43 PM   #120
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

LSU needs just 3:01 to take a 7-0 lead. Tech was getting blown off the ball, making the running all downhill for Scott. And it all started with a crappy kickoff OOB.
Old 12-31-2008, 06:47 PM   #121
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Fuck me
Old 12-31-2008, 07:17 PM   #122
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Would really be nice if we would cut down on the number of first downs we're giving away.
Old 12-31-2008, 07:17 PM   #123
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Fumble, Minnesota. Ensuing play: double pass, Reesing out to Meier down to Briscoe for a TD, 35-14.

SI

Old 12-31-2008, 07:20 PM   #124
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Would really be nice if we would cut down on the number of first downs we're giving away.

yes please. this is a pretty embarrassing display so far.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 07:30 PM   #125
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
yes please. this is a pretty embarrassing display so far.

Extremely embarrassing. I am having a hard time comprehending exactly how poorly Georgia Tech is playing right now.
Old 12-31-2008, 07:31 PM   #126
miami_fan
Coordinator

I may go along with the firing of Les Miles if he kept this kid on the bench all year on purpose.

EDIT: The frosh QB is who I speak of.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946

Last edited by miami_fan : 12-31-2008 at 07:32 PM.
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 07:32 PM   #127
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

That whole "I want players to enjoy the bowl game", lighter practice, etc. business has had me worried since I read it. This team is too young to respond well to that sort of thing & it looks to be biting them in the ass big time tonight.
Old 12-31-2008, 07:41 PM   #128
Radii
Head Coach

speechless.
Old 12-31-2008, 07:42 PM   #129
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Who in the blue fucking hell puts a defensive end at the up man to take the snap on a fake punt inside their own 30? Please God tell me that was some sort of uncalled blown play. Otherwise I'm seriously concerned that CPJ has suffered some sort of traumatic head injury that no one is aware of.

Calling that play, with that personnel, might very well be followed by a halftime wardrobe change in to a chicken suit or an evening gown or a giant squid costume from Halloween. None of which would be more disturbing/surprising than the decision making on that fake punt, nor the utter & complete lack of preparation displayed in the first two quarters.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 12-31-2008 at 07:44 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 07:46 PM   #130
Radii
Head Coach

yeah, I was unable to find words for what I was seeing on that fake punt. That does sound about right jon. Seriously I have no idea what the hell is happening this half.
Old 12-31-2008, 08:05 PM   #131
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

It's not looking good for the ACC. They have three teams ranked in the top 25.

Their #24 ranked team, Boston College, lost to unranked Vanderbilt, and their #14 ranked team, Georgia Tech, is losing to unranked LSU 35-3 at halftime. Their only other ranked team, #19 Virginia Tech, plays #12 Cincinnati tomorrow night in the Orange Bowl.
Old 12-31-2008, 08:11 PM   #132
bob
College Starter

Quote:
yeah, I was unable to find words for what I was seeing on that fake punt. That does sound about right jon. Seriously I have no idea what the hell is happening this half.

As a Notre Dame and Georgia Tech fan, I was having flashbacks to Charlie Weis trying a fake punt against LSU a few years ago at about the same field position in the '07 Sugar Bowl. As I remember it, that failed fake punt was the nail in the coffin for ND, just like this one might be for Tech.

Last edited by bob : 12-31-2008 at 08:12 PM.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 08:18 PM   #133
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

KU punches a TD in with a couple minutes to go to make it 42-21. Briscoe ends with 14 catches for 201 yards and 3 TDs. Meier adds 10 for 113 and joins Briscoe, giving Kansas their first ever pair of 1000 yard receivers for a season. This will get us to 8-5, a pretty good follow up to 12-1.

The offense is pretty much back for next year- Reesing, Sharp, all but one of the major WRs (Fields). We lose all 3 of our really good linebackers but that's about it, for major players. And we just got a couple extra weeks of practice for a fairly young team. Things are looking pretty well for next year

SI

Old 12-31-2008, 08:32 PM   #134
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Seriously I have no idea what the hell is happening this half.

I'd be willing to hazard a pretty good guess what happened

1) CPJ took it easier on the team than he should have, and grossly overestimated the maturity level of the players he inherited. The lighter approach might work with Midshipmen but you can't do that with a bunch of young players.

2) The aforementioned players, and perhaps some coaches as well, spent too much time basking in the afterglow of the regular season finale. Those f'n score rings? Sounded dumb as hell when I heard about it, seems to be even more incredibly stupid now.

3) We spent too much time worrying about coming up with ways to surprise LSU while they were preparing. In doing so we didn't spend enough time worrying about what brung us. Unless our receivers grew significantly during the bowl prep, they aren't going to pull in much that Josh throws right now other than downfield rainbows (which he throws pretty well) because he's remarkably consistent at throwing high and outside on the intermediate stuff.

Defensively, I can't even begin to explain the specific ineptitude. They look tonight like the OL looked against Gardner-Webb, although God only knows
the offense has given them no help, neither has the play selection.
Old 12-31-2008, 08:49 PM   #135
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Could it be that LSU is simply better?
Old 12-31-2008, 08:52 PM   #136
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post

Did you see them play this year? Or Tech for that matter (I'm pretty sure you watched them at least some)?

A TD better? Eh, I don't think so but possible. 10 points, 14 points. But 35 to fucking 3? At this level that happens when one team doesn't show up and the other one does.
Old 12-31-2008, 08:54 PM   #137
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Why does it appear that there's a Muppet museum in Georgia? Jim Henson went to UMD and got his first show on the local NBC affiliate...

Edit: Figured it out, there is "The Center for Puppetry Arts in Atlanta, Georgia has acquired more than 700 puppets created by Henson and his studio, including some of the earliest Muppets. Many of these are displayed in the museum exhibit Jim Henson: Puppeteer. In September 2008, the Center for Puppetry Arts opened Jim Henson: Wonders From His Workshop, highlighting creations from Fraggle Rock, Labyrinth, and other later works." (from Wikipedia).

Back to your regularly scheduled football discussion.

/tk

Last edited by terpkristin : 12-31-2008 at 08:57 PM.
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 08:55 PM   #138
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Actually I have watched GT play a few times as well as LSU, I would say LSU lost to better competition except maybe UGA and Arkansas. While I am surprised by the blow out I didn't expect GT to win.
Old 12-31-2008, 08:57 PM   #139
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:

It's a combination of LSU being well prepared for the game, combined with the fact that the ACC is absolutely horrible this year.
Old 12-31-2008, 08:58 PM   #140
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
Why does it appear that there's a Muppet museum in Georgia? Jim Henson went to UMD and got his first show on the local NBC affiliate.../tk

That's part of a traveling exhibit from the Smithsonian.

The complete Jim Henson archive, including hundreds of figures, will have a permanent home in Atlanta by 2012 however. The Center For Puppetry Arts reached agreement with Henson's estate last year and is constructing a wing just for the museum.
Old 12-31-2008, 08:59 PM   #141
MJ4H
Coordinator

Also LSU finally figuring out who their QB is and having time to practice with him. Plus Tech laying a total egg.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 09:01 PM   #142
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It's a combination of LSU being well prepared for the game, combined with the fact that Georgia Tech doesn't seem to have prepared for the game at all.

Fixed that for you

Seriously though, can't blame the rest of the conference for this debacle. Tech couldn't have beaten a good high school team tonight.
Old 12-31-2008, 09:03 PM   #143
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Seriously though, can't blame the rest of the conference for this debacle. Tech couldn't have beaten a good high school team tonight.

I agree I was also going to note that all of the games the ACC lost have been close, save for this one. (Sorry Jon and Radii )
Old 12-31-2008, 09:04 PM   #144
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

How long has Colt David been at LSU, like 9 years? Seems like he's been kicking for them forever.

Now that I say that, it seems like I've had that feeling about a number of kickers through the years. Van Tiffin at Alabama is one that comes to mind
Old 12-31-2008, 09:04 PM   #145
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Fixed that for you

How could tech not be prepared? When was their last game? I think they're getting outclassed, with some poor decision making thrown in.
Old 12-31-2008, 09:05 PM   #146
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I agree I was also going to note that all of the games the ACC lost have been close, save for this one. (Sorry Jon and Radii )

To be honest though, I'm not sure that BC should feel much better about their loss than we do.
Old 12-31-2008, 09:07 PM   #147
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:

The ACC has 3 ranked teams. Two of them (if you include this game) have lost to unranked teams. You can spin it however you want to, but the ACC is terrible in football this year. I don't buy the "parity" argument, and the performance of the ranked teams (Boston College and Georgia Tech) tends to support my position.
Old 12-31-2008, 09:09 PM   #148
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
How could tech not be prepared?

Tech takes different approach to bowl practices | ajc.com

Before the start of bowl practice, Georgia Tech coach Paul Johnson said that he treats bowls as rewards. That included the way he ran practices — as normal game-week practices, not as a precursor to the heavy-duty work of spring practice.

As the Jackets closed up their pre-Christmas practices Saturday in advance of the Dec. 31 Chick-fil-A Bowl, his players had noticed.

“Bowl practices here used to be hell,” defensive tackle Darryl Richard said. “It was like going to camp again.”

Players said that under then-coach Chan Gailey, there was more scrimmaging and practicing the first-string offense against the first-team defense during bowl practices. Gailey also devoted time to work with players who either were redshirts or did not get much playing time.

“We were doing some things that you might see football factories doing, but we just never had the bodies,” Richard said.

Johnson also shortened practice to about 90 minutes, where typical practices during the season ran about two hours. Further, while there is no limit to the number of practices that can be run to prepare for a bowl, the Jackets took two weeks off for final exams and will practice nine times.

During practice, players have worn full pads and the workouts have been typically intense.

“It’s a little easier on the body, but it’s still football,” guard A.J. Smith said. “We’re still going full speed in full pads, so it’s still tough.”

Camp-style workouts may serve a benefit in preparing younger players, but players said they feel fresher, which could be beneficial against LSU.

“Sometimes, the fresher, the better,” guard Cord Howard said. “It makes you more explosive.”

Johnson ended practice after about an hour Saturday. Some players, clearly giddy to end six days in a row of practice, swapped jerseys. Howard wore B-back Quincy Kelly’s No. 38, he said, in hopes that he might get some snaps in the backfield.

At one point, Johnson put Howard at B-back and wide receiver Willie White at guard. According to Smith, White cut-blocked scout team defensive tackle T.J. Barnes.

“He got him on the ground,” Smith said. “It was pretty funny.”
Old 12-31-2008, 09:09 PM   #149
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
The ACC has 3 ranked teams. Two of them (if you include this game) have lost to unranked teams. You can spin it however you want to, but the ACC is terrible in football this year. I don't buy the "parity" argument, and the performance of the ranked teams (Boston College and Georgia Tech) tends to support my position.

And the Big 12 continues to reign supreme I got it.

Last edited by Noop : 12-31-2008 at 09:09 PM.
Noop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 09:09 PM   #150
Radii
Head Coach

LSU probably has more talent, but this is a Georgia Tech team that ran for 475 yards vs Miami and over 400 vs UGA in the final two weeks of the regular season. The display they put on tonight is simply deplorable.