Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-06-2009, 10:20 PM   #101
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

If they run the challenge again with the same dishes Leah's dish will still suck (since she clearly had no idea what she did wrong), but Jamie's would likely have been much better (since she clearly had a good idea of where she went wrong).

That alone should have gotten Leah booted.

Very disappointed.

Compare to Hosea, who knew he was hosed with the eel once Stefan got started. He still gave it a good go and even Ripert said it was a pretty decent job.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 10:03 PM   #102
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Gotta say, I'm glad to see Carla make it to final 4.

And it's soooo past time, glad to see Leah gone, though I think it would have been almost appropriate if they'd sent Stefan home...any of those bottom 3, really, arguably deserved it.

I cringed when I saw Fabio's finger. Ow ow ow ow ow. I have sympathy pains. Actually, maybe that's real pain, my pinkie's still kind of messed up.

The previews for the next episode look interesting. I like Carla's straightened hair, and Fabio's mohawk. It looks like Fabio's finger has healed. And they really look to be setting up drama between Hosea and Stefan.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 10:12 PM   #103
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

I think we all pretty much knew Leah was toast tonight, barring some meltdown of epic proportions (Stefan might have been a bit close to that meltdown).

Fabio has the greatest one-liners in the history of Top Chef.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 10:53 PM   #104
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

watching my dvr - wow - could stefan go home for the salmon? (coming up to judgement)
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 01:08 AM   #105
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Whooo! Good episode tonight. A Fabio tour de force. I agree with TK that as much as I think Carla is a nutball, I am glad to see her go forward, her food as well as her technique have really shined as things have gone on, and she seems to have gone in a more classical direction. I was hoping Stefan would get the chop, but Leah was so past done.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 10:19 AM   #106
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

I think Carla's revived in the past few episodes because she consciously made a decision to stop trying to be a chef she wasn't, and instead be the chef she is and make stuff she wants to make. The green eggs & ham was a classic example and WD's reaction showed why it was right on.

I think Stefan's going in the opposite direction. I have no doubt that's a dish he could have cooked in his sleep, but he clearly let running on autopilot put him a very bad position.

Hosea's the weakest remaining, in my opinion. He's trying to hang with Stefan and Fabio and he clearly doesn't have the chops for it. At least Carla already realized this for herself and started cooking in her sweet spot. Hosea's shrimp was a clear example of him going out of his sweet spot, thinking he had to to compete with Stefan, and losing his way.

Glad Leah is gone, and frankly I wonder if it's also in part due to her basically having given up during the past few episodes.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:15 PM   #107
Thomkal
Head Coach

Yeah I would have cheered if Stefan had gone home, but Leah has really deserved to go home for the last 3 episodes, so glad it was her as the weakest link going.

I think Fabio is the weakest overall of the four, and I think Carla's simplicity is going to get her in trouble now that they are in the Final Four. However I thought there was no way in hell she'd win the quickfire with a tribute to Dr. Seuss (Hosea must have been really steamed after his comment about her dish), so kudos to her. I think its Stefan's game to lose at this point, because overall he has been the strongest chef. But man it was great to see him get a kick in the pants last night.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 02:38 PM   #108
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

i don't know - there's something to the fact that fabio + carla cooked the "simplest" dishes last night and were the top 2. i think too often we get caught up watching these shows in the gastronomey of it and forget that it's about the taste. even the obnoxious brit said last night about fabio's dish that if he went and started a restaurant this could be his "signature dish." A roast chicken. Must have been one damn good roast chicken. And I think we get caught up in who is doing things that are edgy or whatever and forget that all the best chefs in the world advocate using fresh local seasonal ingredients prepared simply to let the flavors of the food shine through.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:41 PM   #109
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

On the same token, we've seen in seasons past (Richard from last year comes to mind immediately), who both wowed the judges in terms of presentation and "out there" gastronomy stuff, and had apparently tasty food.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:44 PM   #110
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

valid point CW.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:52 PM   #111
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
i don't know - there's something to the fact that fabio + carla cooked the "simplest" dishes last night and were the top 2. i think too often we get caught up watching these shows in the gastronomey of it and forget that it's about the taste. even the obnoxious brit said last night about fabio's dish that if he went and started a restaurant this could be his "signature dish." A roast chicken. Must have been one damn good roast chicken. And I think we get caught up in who is doing things that are edgy or whatever and forget that all the best chefs in the world advocate using fresh local seasonal ingredients prepared simply to let the flavors of the food shine through.

But at the same time Collichio said he wished Carla had integrated the peas into the dish more.
Old 02-12-2009, 04:46 PM   #112
kcchief19
Pro Starter

I've been jonesing for some great peas ever since I saw this last night. I almost want to go home an make peas and roast chicken for dinner.

Thought last night was a good decision. As mentioned before, I don't like Stefan but he can cook circles around Leah and should stick around. Last night sure seemed like a "lifetime achievement" award for Stefan because overcooking salmon is a culinary crime. Tom in particularly seemed like there was no way he was sending Stefan home last night, which pretty much put Leah out the door. Which is fine because she was the weakest link.

Carla is growing on me. She's coo-coo for cocoa puffs and bat-sh*t crazy but seems nice and has really nailed the last few challenges since she started going to her base. But I still think she's a great cook, just not a great chef. Stefan is the coach we all hated -- he's a prick, but he's right most of the time and gets results. That's what a chef is.

Last edited by kcchief19 : 02-12-2009 at 04:51 PM.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 06:10 PM   #113
kingfc22
Head Coach

Not a mention of the camera shot of Leah's boobs hanging out for everyone to see at the very start of the show. Disappointed.
Old 02-13-2009, 12:59 PM   #114
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
Not a mention of the camera shot of Leah's boobs hanging out for everyone to see at the very start of the show. Disappointed.

And my wife said that I was the only person who would notice that...

Man, I was really hoping Stefan would get sent home. I can't stand his arrogant ass.

I'm hoping that at least Fabio and Carla make it into the finals. They're fun to watch...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 03:39 PM   #115
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
On the same token, we've seen in seasons past (Richard from last year comes to mind immediately), who both wowed the judges in terms of presentation and "out there" gastronomy stuff, and had apparently tasty food.
But none of those people have won. All of the winners have been about creativity executed perfectly (or at least very very well). I think Green Eggs and Ham's creativity warranted its win. I also think the Elimination Challenge pretty clearly did not call for creativity and simply called for execution, which Fabio and Carla pulled off.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 10:03 AM   #116
kcchief19
Pro Starter

We've pulled Kansas City Star columnist Joe Posnanski over to the dark side ... this turns into a Top Chef blog after the Extenze detour.

ExtenZe and Top Chef » Joe Posnanski
Old 02-19-2009, 01:42 AM   #117
thesloppy
Pro Starter

NoooooooooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooo!

I hope Stefan eats a fat sack of dicks in the final.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 08:10 AM   #118
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Go Hosea!
Old 02-19-2009, 09:23 AM   #119
jeheinz72
Pro Rookie

Sad to see Fabio go, because he was so damn entertaining. THis is my first season watching, but I liked bringing Jeff back into the mix. I thought he kind of had a tough luck ouster the first time.

Stefan is such a poser. I love how he says he doesn't care to the judges (which is stupid) but has probably a dozen time in solo interviews said how badly he wants to win. For the majority of the season I was ok with him, because he was so apparently good at what he did. Now he's more of an ass.

Carla has grown on me big time. At first I thought she had to go (around the 5th/6th elimination) but man, she's brought her A game of late and if she keeps that up in the finale, she could very well win.

Hosea I go back and forth on. On one hand, he seems like a nice enough guy. On the other he's so neurotic and annoying. If he wins it'll be...ok.
jeheinz72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 09:45 AM   #120
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Carla seems to have figured out the game. She's comfortable with her flavor profile and knows how to work the time limits. I thought she should have been gone early on, but over the past four episodes or so she's been top notch.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:06 AM   #121
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

It's been a solid season in some ways and weak in others. I've enjoyed the comradarie of the opponents much more this year (although the Hosea-Stefan thing is beyond old) but the cooking (until last night) seems to be much weaker. Tom gives some interesting insights on the blog, such as a rather big problem with Jeff's dishes that wasn't described (the sterno he was using caused the oysters to taste like sterno) and some other problems with Fabio's dishes (i.e.- They were cold when he served it to them despite making it for them). It sounds like Fabio has a show in the works somewhere, either Bravo or Food Network I'm guessing.

I'm down to rooting for Carla as she has made an improvement over the course of the season unlike anything we've seen. I think she has figured out the game and I am hoping she pulls it off. If she doesn't though, she got some nice stuff between the car and the Super Bowl trip.
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 10:17 AM   #122
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Agreed that Carla's figured out how to deliver on a regular basis. As per Emeril's comments, her performance last night was really a tour de force.

I've figured Stefan out. He's all technique and experience, and no heart. This is why he dominated most of the season so far (he was operating on a level beyond everyone else), but has started to fall short now (they've caught up, and he's got nothing to really "wow" the judges).

Boy howdy did Hosea make the right call on the gumbo and spending forever on the roux.

And super-sad to see Fabio go. I have a feeling, however, he'll be more than able to parlay his experience into more opportunities.

At this point I'd say it's between Stefan and Carla. I don't think Hosea has the chops to deliver a truly awesome 3-course dinner, while Stefan almost certainly has it in him to do just that and Carla's on such a roll you have to count her in.
Old 02-19-2009, 01:34 PM   #123
Thomkal
Head Coach

A trip to the Super Bowl and a new car-Carla sure knew which challenges to win didn't she? Keep being stunned that she wins-I thought she was in big trouble when she took on oysters with almost no experience shucking them. But kudos to her for pulling it off big time. I think she almost has to be the favorite right now. Not bad for someone I wanted out from episode 1 with her weird behavior.

Don't like that they brought someone back in, didn't think that was fair at all to the Final Four. At least they put a condition on him coming back. I was pulling for Jamie there, but knew Jeff would be tough. So long as it wasn't Leah, I was happy. And he nearly won the final challenge too, so kudos to him.

Man I was so hoping they'd kick Stefan out, but they need that enemy for the Final 3, the one everyone hates. Fabio was the weakest of the five really though and probably didn't deserve to go to the Final 3 as much as the others. I hope Stefan finishes third now, and Carla "Hootie-who's" right in his face when she wins.
Old 02-19-2009, 03:02 PM   #124
jeheinz72
Pro Rookie

What's the link to Tom's blog, PB? I"d love to read that. As I said, this is our first season watching and my wife and I have really really enjoyed it.

And since Carla won a car, doesn't that practically exclude her from winning under rule 1B in reality TV show land? I don't recall if it still holds up, but I know on Survivor people who won the car always lost
jeheinz72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 03:53 PM   #125
kcchief19
Pro Starter

When I read the press release last month about the final episode, I predicted to Mrs. kcchief19 that they would bring back the last few booted chefs and give them a chance to make the finals with a win. They did the same thing on Project Runway a few seasons ago.

If Jeff had won last night, Stefan was gone. I thought he might have pulled it off. If Carla had slipped a little -- maybe not guilted the other chefs that borrowed stuff from her help shuck oysters -- that might have been the opening Jeff needed. I wanted Jamie to win the quickfire because I thought she was the best of the rest. But Jeff put in a heck of an effort.

I have fully bought into the notion that it's coming down to Hosea and Stefan. I will probably be rooting for that nut Carla. I still think there is a difference between a great cook and a great chef. I'd want someone like Stefan running my restaurant kitchen, but if I just wanted a great meal I might go to Carla.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:03 AM   #126
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

didn't get to watch this till last night.

Man was I STOKED to see Jeff back, and so happy to see him keep his flavors simple and win the quickfire.

Regarding the elimination challenge - I actually thought that they were going to give the win to him and send Stefan + Fabio home. Seems like it would have been the right thing to do based on the comments about the dishes that we heard. We heard nothing but praise for all of Hosea/Carla/Jeff, while Stefan and Fabio each had something a little "off" about theirs. So color me confused how they didn't say "well in that case we want to send home the two weakest chefs so we're giving the win to Jeff" if it seems like it was basically a tossup between Jeff + Carla.

Nice to see Jeff finally recognize what he had done wrong though, and hopefully he'll go on to a successful career.

I think the final being in New Orleans is a HUGE advantage to Carla, and maybe a secondary advantage to Hosea, who certainly knows his fish and has obviously studied-up on New Orleans. Definately puts Stefan at a disadvantage (yay!).

Man I'll miss Fabio's kooky accent.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:06 AM   #127
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurdueBrad View Post
Tom gives some interesting insights on the blog, such as a rather big problem with Jeff's dishes that wasn't described (the sterno he was using caused the oysters to taste like sterno) and some other problems with Fabio's dishes (i.e.- They were cold when he served it to them despite making it for them).

aaah. teach me to post before reading Tom's blog. Interesting. Still - not sure what else he could have done - I was hella impressed that he was doing the oysters up right there on the spot and managed to pull it off.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:24 AM   #128
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Man I'll miss Fabio's kooky accent.

The good news for him is, though, he doesn't have to sleep in the bunk-y bed no more.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:25 AM   #129
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

lol - and apparently he'll do alright for himself.

"Everyday Italian with Fabio" anybody?
Old 02-20-2009, 09:35 AM   #130
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeheinz72 View Post
What's the link to Tom's blog, PB? I"d love to read that. As I said, this is our first season watching and my wife and I have really really enjoyed it.

And since Carla won a car, doesn't that practically exclude her from winning under rule 1B in reality TV show land? I don't recall if it still holds up, but I know on Survivor people who won the car always lost

Sorry Heinz, just saw this.

Here's the link: Tom Colicchio | Bravo TV Official Site
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 10:34 AM   #131
path12
Coordinator

Am I the only one who likes Stefan? He was way cocky last episode (and not that funny) but for the most part I get the feeling he's just one of those guys who likes to bust balls just to get a reaction and isn't nearly the asshole they make him out to be.

CW, that bunky-bed line by Fabio was one of the funniest things I've seen this season.
Old 02-22-2009, 08:07 PM   #132
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

lol - i just saw Ariane sous-chefing for the challenging chef on Iron Chef America
Old 02-22-2009, 08:09 PM   #133
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
lol - i just saw Ariane sous-chefing for the challenging chef on Iron Chef America

Let's hope the challenger doesn't ask her to tie a roast. Wished I'd seen it! What episode (what challenge)?

/tk
Old 02-22-2009, 08:18 PM   #134
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

my dvr just crapped out on me as far as telling me what the episode info was - it's on food network right now though TK.

it's a king crab challenge with chef freitag vs. chef flay

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 02-22-2009 at 08:18 PM.
Old 02-22-2009, 08:29 PM   #135
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
my dvr just crapped out on me as far as telling me what the episode info was - it's on food network right now though TK.

it's a king crab challenge with chef freitag vs. chef flay

Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for it in the next week or so (at work right now, the boys I work with are flipping between the Oscars and NASCAR).

/tk
Old 02-22-2009, 08:30 PM   #136
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

aaah the life of a rocket scientist
Old 02-22-2009, 08:39 PM   #137
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
Let's hope the challenger doesn't ask her to tie a roast. Wished I'd seen it! What episode (what challenge)?

The farm one. Don't remember the exact episode number.
Old 02-22-2009, 08:40 PM   #138
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
aaah the life of a rocket scientist

Well, to be fair, this is the first night in awhile we've had to breathe. As long as they keep my satellite healthy, I'll let them watch whatever they want. I'm getting ready to head out, I've been helping them setup to keep an eye on things in case anything goes wrong overnight (this is the first night they'll have entirely on their own, last night I left at 4, before that I was full-on nights).

/tk
Old 02-22-2009, 08:45 PM   #139
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
Well, to be fair, this is the first night in awhile we've had to breathe. As long as they keep my satellite healthy, I'll let them watch whatever they want. I'm getting ready to head out, I've been helping them setup to keep an eye on things in case anything goes wrong overnight (this is the first night they'll have entirely on their own, last night I left at 4, before that I was full-on nights).

/tk

hey that's cool...i wasn't making fun
Old 02-25-2009, 10:02 PM   #140
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

University of Colorado for the win!

Edit: And I have to share my "I'm just awesome" moment. We were talking about the finale the last couple days, and I called precisely who they'd be bringing on as the mystery sous chefs. And even stated, "just watch, we'll have Stefan and Marcel."

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 02-25-2009 at 10:03 PM.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:38 AM   #141
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
University of Colorado for the win!

Edit: And I have to share my "I'm just awesome" moment. We were talking about the finale the last couple days, and I called precisely who they'd be bringing on as the mystery sous chefs. And even stated, "just watch, we'll have Stefan and Marcel."

you didn't post it in here, so unless you can provide videotaped corroborating evidence of this i choose not to believe it

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 02-26-2009 at 12:38 AM.
Old 02-26-2009, 07:29 AM   #142
Barkeep49
Coordinator

I think that Stefan was robbed. The guy was clearly the most talented chef there by some distance. Carla had a completely different style, so her I could understand. But Hosea? What a joke. And I say this feeling Stefan was a nearly insufferable ass.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 08:05 AM   #143
MJ4H
Coordinator

But did Stefan make the best meal in the final challenge? That was how the winner was decided. I thought it was pretty clear by the judge's comments, and even Fabio who wanted Stefan to win, that Hosea's meal was better. In that case, I don't think you can say he was robbed. I think you have to say he blew it at the end, just like Richard last season.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 08:14 AM   #144
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
you didn't post it in here, so unless you can provide videotaped corroborating evidence of this i choose not to believe it

The funny thing is, when they revealed them, I almost immediately thought, "damn, I cannot believe I didn't post that prediction on FOFC".
Old 02-26-2009, 10:24 AM   #145
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Stefan, who is all technique and no heart, needed his execution to be perfect in the final and the frozen thinly sliced fish was a failure of his technique. That and the lack of creativity for dessert couldn't be made up by the awesome squab.

Hosea executed flawlessly right in his wheelhouse. It was the better 3-course (well, 4-course) meal, end of story.

I don't feel sorry for Carla. On at least one other occasion she's allowed herself to be steamrolled by another chef, to her self-admitted detriment, and if she can't learn from that for the final, she deserved what she got. Having said that, she clearly still did well to get so far.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:38 PM   #146
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Well what do we think of the chefs so far? I hope that trend of whomever wins the first competition wins the season doesn't come true this time around because I can't stand that guy already. No real surprise on who went home imo, they never are a big fan of culinary students. And how weird that the two that knew each other beforehand were the ones to go.

I was surprised Hosea was not one of the judges three favorites after their comments during his judging. I'll go on record right now and say I think he wins. Pretty funny that the guy who had no idea what he was cooking ended up in the top 3 anyway.

Who do I want to go home soon? Probably crazy lady who lets her spirit guides determine what she's going to cook.

the very first post in this thread, and I picked the winnah. Of course I wasn't so right about that crazy lady. I have to say I was really pulling for her in the finale given the two bulls spewing testoserone and completely disregarding her as having a chance to win. But I knew she was dead in the water when she let Casey talk her into doing the cooking in a bag technique when she had never done it before. I have a feeling those souffle's wouldn't have been as good as the tarts she wanted to do either. Wish she hadn't overcooked them though so we could have found out if they would have been.

So glad Hosea won over Stefan, he was so arrogant and pompous-I don't think his head would have fit in the room overall. I think though they either should have said do a three course dinner with a dessert as one of them or no dessert at all. Given them the choice gave them an uneven playing field over whether the judges preferred to have a desert or not as part of the meal as we saw them debate at the end there. If there was going to be some prejuidice against/for dessert, it shouldn't have been allowed or all of them had to do it.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:11 PM   #147
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkeep49 View Post
I think that Stefan was robbed. The guy was clearly the most talented chef there by some distance. Carla had a completely different style, so her I could understand. But Hosea? What a joke. And I say this feeling Stefan was a nearly insufferable ass.

What I like about Top Chef is that previous work matters very little. Survival is decided by how you perform in the current challenge.
Old 02-26-2009, 05:09 PM   #148
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Felt bad for Carla here, though not is a "robbed" way but in a "damn she choked bad" way. As Thomkal said, you knew the minute she agreed to try something she had never done that she blew her chance, then she did it a second time and that sealed the deal. Wish she had done her things, her way, just so it didn't end up a two man race.

Hosea as Top Chef? Blah. He just doesn't come off as really good to me but he did better then Stefan at the end so I guess he deserves it.
Old 02-26-2009, 08:23 PM   #149
timmynausea
College Starter

More like Top Douche. I hated Stefan early on, but I was rooting for him by the end just because Hosea was so annoying. They couldn't have hamfisted the foreshadowing any more than they did, either - Hosea mentioned wanting to beat Stefan just about every week of the season.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 09:33 AM   #150
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

You live and die by the rules, of course, and the rules for this basically state that you're only as good as the last thing you produced.

If the competition was judged on a cumulative basis, then the final three are probably Stefan, Jeff and Fabio, with Stefan probably taking it. If we take away the constraint of essentially American cuisine (which really did it for Fabio once they got to New Orleans), then I think Fabio has a good shot to beat Stefan.

It's here that Stefan's catering experience lets him down, in my opinion. After this entire season, do we really know what Stefan likes to cook? By the end Carla, Hosea, Jeff and Fabio were all doing stuff right in their wheelhouse and were producing great stuff, while Stefan's still putting out precisely executed catering food. Sure, the technique is great, but is it interesting?

Bottom line: I hire Stefan to cater a high-brow event with lots of VIPs (think black-tie fundraiser). I hire Carla to cook an intimate dinner for a small group of close friends. I visit Hosea's restaurant every couple of months to see how he's developing and what stuff he puts out. I guess that makes them all excellent in their own ways, but also probably shows why Hosea wins.